Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 1144 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 179859Likes

post #34291 of 36529 Old 06-25-2018, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminader View Post
I have avoided any screen touching or cleaning limiting it to only spot cleaning with the supplied microfiber cloth when accidentally getting a fingerprint or forehead print on the screen.

Search this thread for tips and tricks from others.

Sent from my Samsung S8+ using Tapatalk
I am sorry, but this is unacceptable tbh, i should NOT have a negative effect on cleaning my screen!! It sounds dumb and foolish but when people are near my TV, i tell them to try and not talk in front of it since it can get spit or anything, thus having to clean and get even more damage! this is just bogus that we have to be scared to touch our screens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34292 of 36529 Old 06-25-2018, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizzy212 View Post
I am sorry, but this is unacceptable tbh, i should NOT have a negative effect on cleaning my screen!! It sounds dumb and foolish but when people are near my TV, i tell them to try and not talk in front of it since it can get spit or anything, thus having to clean and get even more damage! this is just bogus that we have to be scared to touch our screens.
I have the 65" KS8000. When I remodeled, I took my TV down off the wall and put it back up. There were hand prints all over it. I had a cheap bottle of screen cleaner and a more expensive one. The cheaper one left bad streaks. The more expensive one left it looking perfect. Just invest in a good screen cleaner.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Terminader likes this.

Last edited by volumnus1; 06-25-2018 at 07:15 PM.
post #34293 of 36529 Old 06-26-2018, 01:00 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminader View Post
[..]when accidentally getting a fingerprint or forehead print on the screen.

I'm trying to think of a scenario where i have to worry about getting forehead prints on the screen...

You must watch some real intense shows
Terminader likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34294 of 36529 Old 06-26-2018, 01:18 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 259 Post(s)
Quoted: 12671 Post(s)
Liked: 11901
Quote:
Hey everyone, how's everyone doing? I hope great, because i am not. This TV (49 inch), has pissed me off like never before. I decided to clean my screen the other day with a microfiber with lightly damped water, next thing you know this screen has permanent marks as if the anti glare coating got removed or something. So seriously, how the hell do you guys even clean these TVs without getting punished?? Though it does NOT affect picture quality, but while the TV is off or during a dark scene, its pretty darn visible. I am not sure how to describe it, but its as if when liquid touches these TVs, they penetrate something and leave permanent marks like a blob on the inside.

Microfiber clothes dont require any liquid, so that's where you screwed up in the 1st place.
Ralarcon and mrtickleuk like this.
post #34295 of 36529 Old 06-26-2018, 06:43 AM

Liked: 38
Is anyone else using a Fire TV 3rd gen or Fire TV Cube (they're apparently the same video hardware)? I just got a Cube in an attempt to simplify my setup but HDR from the Cube is dull and lacking in the color red especially. This is noticeable on both Prime Video and Netflix. I've been testing with The Grand Tour and Stranger Things 2; the LaFerrari in episode 1 is dull and orange and the Stranger Things intro is light orange.

HDMI UHD Color is on, and the Nvidia Shield I have looks correct with the same settings. I have played with the video options on the Cube including RGB vs YCbCr and 8 vs 10 bit color but the output from the Cube does not seem to change. HDMI Black Level also seems to be grayed out when the Cube is set to RGB; from what I remember that's what the option is for.

Any ideas?
post #34296 of 36529 Old 06-26-2018, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Hey everyone, how's everyone doing? I hope great, because i am not. This TV (49 inch), has pissed me off like never before. I decided to clean my screen the other day with a microfiber with lightly damped water, next thing you know this screen has permanent marks as if the anti glare coating got removed or something. So seriously, how the hell do you guys even clean these TVs without getting punished?? Though it does NOT affect picture quality, but while the TV is off or during a dark scene, its pretty darn visible. I am not sure how to describe it, but its as if when liquid touches these TVs, they penetrate something and leave permanent marks like a blob on the inside.
I had similar issues with my screen. Distilled water and a quality cloth cleaned up the marks.
post #34297 of 36529 Old 06-26-2018, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSpectre View Post
Is anyone else using a Fire TV 3rd gen or Fire TV Cube (they're apparently the same video hardware)? I just got a Cube in an attempt to simplify my setup but HDR from the Cube is dull and lacking in the color red especially. This is noticeable on both Prime Video and Netflix. I've been testing with The Grand Tour and Stranger Things 2; the LaFerrari in episode 1 is dull and orange and the Stranger Things intro is light orange.

HDMI UHD Color is on, and the Nvidia Shield I have looks correct with the same settings. I have played with the video options on the Cube including RGB vs YCbCr and 8 vs 10 bit color but the output from the Cube does not seem to change. HDMI Black Level also seems to be grayed out when the Cube is set to RGB; from what I remember that's what the option is for.

Any ideas?
Having the same issue...hope we can sort it out because i really like what the Cube did for my user experience.
post #34298 of 36529 Old 06-26-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispykeith View Post
Having the same issue...hope we can sort it out because i really like what the Cube did for my user experience.
I'm at least glad to hear it's not just me. I did contact Amazon and they thought I had a defective unit and sent me another one to exchange. Both have the same issue.
post #34299 of 36529 Old 06-26-2018, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
Microfiber clothes dont require any liquid, so that's where you screwed up in the 1st place.

I find that a good microfiber cloth , moistened with water and then quickly drying the screen works better than a large number of the dedicated cleaners I have used. no smudges or scratches.

Cheers
post #34300 of 36529 Old 06-26-2018, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

Any ideas?
I find that using the native TV apps, when available, always streams a better and smoother picture. One less "thing" or "device" to pass through. My Fire TV Stick never seems to give a dynamite picture like the native apps can.
post #34301 of 36529 Old 06-26-2018, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 572
Quote:

Any ideas?
I have a Fire TV 3rd gen and not noticing these issues. Although it is possible I would if using it for more challenging tasks. I really only use it for Directv Now running though IPVanish. Because I live in "the middle of nowhere" it is a work around to get any local channels that works well.

Overall the Fire Tv is a mixed bag. The PQ is a step below a Roku Stick+ (or Ultra) but it has advantages in being more like android and is far cheaper than the Nvidia Shield. But to be honest, I've wasted too much time on it installing apps like Kodi that ultimately I remove because they are so lacking in PQ. Far prefer to purchase movies on VUDU and view them in HDR10 and "Atmos" on the Roku. That is about as close I can get to Blu ray on spur of the moment gotta watch something with my family decisions in the evening.

post #34302 of 36529 Old 06-26-2018, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 4858 Post(s)
Liked: 7148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralarcon View Post
I find that a good microfiber cloth , moistened with water and then quickly drying the screen works better than a large number of the dedicated cleaners I have used. no smudges or scratches.

Samsung is VERY clear, do NOT use any water or moisture at all otherwise you will risk damage the coating. As we've seen above. This is in all the guides and documents which come with the TV.
Chuck Ebby and Terminader like this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #34303 of 36529 Old 06-26-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Ebby View Post
I have a Fire TV 3rd gen and not noticing these issues. Although it is possible I would if using it for more challenging tasks. I really only use it for Directv Now running though IPVanish. Because I live in "the middle of nowhere" it is a work around to get any local channels that works well.

Overall the Fire Tv is a mixed bag. The PQ is a step below a Roku Stick+ (or Ultra) but it has advantages in being more like android and is far cheaper than the Nvidia Shield. But to be honest, I've wasted too much time on it installing apps like Kodi that ultimately I remove because they are so lacking in PQ. Far prefer to purchase movies on VUDU and view them in HDR10 and "Atmos" on the Roku. That is about as close I can get to Blu ray on spur of the moment gotta watch something with my family decisions in the evening.
I haven't watched enough to really give my thoughts on the Cube's PQ beyond the HDR color issue. The Shield's lack of Dolby decoders has made my setup more complex than I'd like, but if it can't be fixed then I'll deal with that instead of a poor HDR picture.
Chuck Ebby likes this.
post #34304 of 36529 Old 06-26-2018, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1274 Post(s)
Liked: 2115
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaBEN View Post
I'm trying to think of a scenario where i have to worry about getting forehead prints on the screen...

You must watch some real intense shows
I laughed when I saw @Terminader mention forehead prints...I've gotten 2 on mine when running cables behind it. So I know exactly what he was saying LOL
Terminader, azz7686 and mrtickleuk like this.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #34305 of 36529 Old 06-26-2018, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked: 1631
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post
I laughed when I saw @Terminader mention forehead prints...I've gotten 2 on mine when running cables behind it. So I know exactly what he was saying LOL
That's exactly it!!

I was going to joke that I sit really close to my screen to enjoy the high quality picture and that when I laugh at a joke, I lean forward and touch the screen with my forehead.

But nobody would believe that!

Sent from my Samsung S8+ using Tapatalk
post #34306 of 36529 Old 06-26-2018, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Screen Mom works well for me and you get a full micro-fiber towel. Relax dude.....
Terminader likes this.
post #34307 of 36529 Old 06-26-2018, 10:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 572
Quote:
I haven't watched enough to really give my thoughts on the Cube's PQ beyond the HDR color issue. The Shield's lack of Dolby decoders has made my setup more complex than I'd like, but if it can't be fixed then I'll deal with that instead of a poor HDR picture.
The biggest complaint I have with my use of apps on Fire TV is lip sync. One day I think it is fixed and the next day I am back to square one.

post #34308 of 36529 Old 06-26-2018, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Yes correct, you do not press more than one button at a time. The clue is in the word "sequence", and also the fact that "mute" is in the list twice

After testing it out for a couple of days, my HDMI input names no langer change automatically when entering the code as a sequence. I was confused by the '+' signs after each input in the original instruction. That made me think you have to press the keys simultaneously. Thanks for the update
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #34309 of 36529 Old 06-27-2018, 05:21 AM

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by notadrummer View Post
@Rudy1 posted how to disable HDMI auto switching some months ago.

Here you go:

The following procedure disables HDMI auto detection without having to turn off anynet

HDMI AUTO DETECT TOGGLE

The HDMI Auto Detect feature can be turned off on Samsung 2016/2017 TVs using the remote control by pressing a certain key sequence (either IR or Bluetooth remote works).

1. Make sure TV is updated to latest firmware version
2. Switch TV to TV source – HDMI may not work with BT Smart remotes. TV source works with either remote
3. Using IR Remote: Mute + 7 + 2 + 9 + Exit
4. Using Smart Control: Mute + Vol Down + Ch Down + Mute

PLEASE NOTE: TV does not display any messages after you press the above key combination. This function is a toggle. So if you want to turn HDMI Auto Detect on again, press the same key sequence.
Do you guys think by doing this it will fix the annoying screen flicker I sometimes get when mainly switching to the PS4 Pro and occasionally Sky Q when I switch back to it from the PS4?

It only seems to happen (mostly) when the PS4 is turned on from 'Rest Mode' (which is essentially 'standby'). Doesn't happen that I've noticed when the PS4 turns on from being totally off, so I'm wondering if it's something to do with HDMI auto switching as I've been to Samsung several times and they claim they have not heard of it and can't send anyone out if it's not permanent as they won't be able to assess it.

Anyone else having this issue? Once it starts, it persists until you hold the power down on the bluetooth remote until the TV turns back on. (doesn't work with the IR remote)
post #34310 of 36529 Old 06-29-2018, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Someone mentioned over in the MU8000 owner's thread, that for some reason the latest MU8000 firmware works on his Costco KS800D (KS8000). Just an FYI in case anyone is interested in the post/reply:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post56409198

**Disregard - that would be the MU800D**

Last edited by SkyYYZ; 06-29-2018 at 01:13 PM.
post #34311 of 36529 Old 06-29-2018, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:

Samsung is VERY clear, do NOT use any water or moisture at all otherwise you will risk damage the coating. As we've seen above. This is in all the guides and documents which come with the TV.
Where is the warning for this? I find nothing in the manual.
post #34312 of 36529 Old 06-29-2018, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

I have read that if you're going to use a liquid on your screen, that you must use 99% pure alcohol sprayed sparingly onto a microfiber cloth. I posted the question in the KS9000 a while ago to request confirmation from other owners, but I never received a reply.
post #34313 of 36529 Old 06-29-2018, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyYYZ View Post
Someone mentioned over in the MU8000 owner's thread, that for some reason the latest MU8000 firmware works on his Costco KS800D (KS8000). Just an FYI in case anyone is interested in the post/reply:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post56409198

**Disregard - that would be the MU800D**
What's the benefit?
Terminader likes this.
post #34314 of 36529 Old 06-29-2018, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by checker9 View Post
Where is the warning for this? I find nothing in the manual.
It's on page 24 of mine, although I was wrong to say that you shouldn't get "any" water on it.

Attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180629_222355614_HDR.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	2421982  
Terminader likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #34315 of 36529 Old 06-29-2018, 02:58 PM

Liked: 27
Just about every manual says that. You can use screen cleaning solution; just spray it on the microfiber cloth and not directly onto the screen. It also says to never spray solution directly onto the screen in the instructions that come with screen protectors for cell phones. Somebody somewhere would completely hose down his TV or phone with screen cleaner otherwise.
Quote:
It's on page 24 of mine, although I was wrong to say that you shouldn't get "any" water on it.

Attached.

Last edited by volumnus1; 06-29-2018 at 03:02 PM.
post #34316 of 36529 Old 06-29-2018, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:

Attached.
Sorry I thought you meant no water. That page states to clean it was a microfiber cloth "dampened with a small amount of water." That is how I clean mine - I sprinkle a few drops of water on half the cloth, wipe with that then wipe again with dry side.

Last edited by checker9; 06-29-2018 at 04:29 PM.
post #34317 of 36529 Old 06-30-2018, 01:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by checker9 View Post
Sorry I thought you meant no water. That page states to clean it was a microfiber cloth "dampened with a small amount of water." That is how I clean mine - I sprinkle a few drops of water on half the cloth, wipe with that then wipe again with dry side.
Yes. I did meant that but I repeat again: I was wrong to write that Samsung said you shouldn't get "any" water on it. It's a very long time since I read that page, obviously!

Since then I've read all 34 thousands posts on this thread over 2 years. In the discussion was plenty of advice, including discussions on only 1 or 2 very particular products being safe to use and lots of warnings against using X or Y. Particularly due to the very unique and fragile 2016 moth-eye coating on our TVs, which will be destroyed by many generic "flatscreen TV screen-cleaner" products, which are ok to use on other TVs without such a specialist coating. Also many people (the majority, from my memory) were strongly discouraging using any water at all, in the sense that water is (from memory) more dangerous than the 1 or 2 safe products. I must have got all those memories mixed up.

Phew!

NB: I cannot remember where all those discussions were other than "somewhere in this thread", sorry.

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 06-30-2018 at 01:30 AM.
post #34318 of 36529 Old 06-30-2018, 01:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydeweyz View Post
What's the benefit?
None since you can't run firmware for a 2017 model on a 2016 model. It was just a confusion over model names
SkyYYZ likes this.

post #34319 of 36529 Old 06-30-2018, 06:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 1966 Post(s)
Liked: 3270
Quote:
Originally Posted by volumnus1 View Post
Just about every manual says that. You can use screen cleaning solution; just spray it on the microfiber cloth and not directly onto the screen. It also says to never spray solution directly onto the screen in the instructions that come with screen protectors for cell phones. Somebody somewhere would completely hose down his TV or phone with screen cleaner otherwise.

Over the years, I have used only this product on the screens of my plasma, LCD, DLP, and OLED displays:

https://klearscreen.com/collections/...roducts/ks-hdk

I follow the directions exactly, and I've never encountered a problem.
Terminader and SkyYYZ like this.

Definition of "Stupid": Knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the lies.
post #34320 of 36529 Old 06-30-2018, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks, Rudy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
denon s740h , extra , hdmi input , KS8000/KS8500 , no picture , one connect fail , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page