Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 1185 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 179870Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #35521 of 36542 Old 03-07-2019, 01:56 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbchicken View Post
So there was something like a spec or something on the screen that I noticed so I decided to wipe it counter clock wise using my breathe and a little water after the breathe wipe introduced a blue circlular shaped spot or print on the screen. It only seems noticable when the tv is off or if hdr is on and the xbox one is transitioning between hdr game and dashboard when i click on settings then its not noticable when in game or in xbox one x dashboard. Its also noticable only when the sunlight shines on it. is this going to gradually mess up my screen and is it because my coating is ****ed?

I was going to suggest to try rubbing alcohol as it works well on my laptop, but before I posted I found this- https://www.howtocleanthings.com/how...lat-screen-tv/

So it seems rubbing alcohol bought from a chemist is worth a go (using a microfibre cloth). Let us know how it goes.
Adored Black Stray-Cat is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #35522 of 36542 Old 03-07-2019, 06:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
SkyYYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hamilton, ON
Posts: 669
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 204
I noticed that the article also recommends Kleer Screen as a "Non-Toxic LCD Cleaning" option. I have used it on my KS9000, and it did a great job removing accidental palm prints left behind after wall mounting it in the bedroom.

That said, I don't know if Samsung applies a panel coating or not, and if so, I'm not sure if it was affected by using Kleer Screen's product. Maybe someone else could chime in about a possible factory coating on the KS line? I'm curious to know myself...
SkyYYZ is offline  
post #35523 of 36542 Old 03-07-2019, 07:04 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyYYZ View Post
I noticed that the article also recommends Kleer Screen as a "Non-Toxic LCD Cleaning" option. I have used it on my KS9000, and it did a great job removing accidental palm prints left behind after wall mounting it in the bedroom.

That said, I don't know if Samsung applies a panel coating or not, and if so, I'm not sure if it was affected by using Kleer Screen's product. Maybe someone else could chime in about a possible factory coating on the KS line? I'm curious to know myself...
There is indeed a panel coating to help reduce room reflections and Samsung recommends only distilled water be used on their screen. Check the owners manual that you can find on the web.
Terminader likes this.
[email protected] is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #35524 of 36542 Old 03-07-2019, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member
 
SkyYYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hamilton, ON
Posts: 669
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 204
I followed Samsung's online instructions for cleaning LED TVs because I couldn't find any reference to it in the e-Manual:

Quote:
For stubborn smudges, spray a small amount of screen cleaner (like Screen Kleen or any other product made to clean LED TVs) on a microfiber cloth, and then use the cloth to wipe away the smudges.
I had my suspicions about it damaging a coating, but since Samsung recommended the product "Screen Kleen", I figured it was safe to assume they actually meant "Kleen Screen". It can be found on other help pages, but I'm still skeptical about it unless absolutely necessary...

Edit: Product images added for reference. NOT endorsing it* as it may very well still be damaging Samsung's anti-reflective coating. Also, I see now that my product reference is actually "Klear Screen".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190307_104543.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	2535664   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190307_104258.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	282.5 KB
ID:	2535666  

Last edited by SkyYYZ; 03-07-2019 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Reference images added
SkyYYZ is offline  
post #35525 of 36542 Old 03-07-2019, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member
 
hancox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Monroe, CT
Posts: 699
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 97
I've used "Screen Mom" to excellent results.
ez1dog likes this.
hancox is offline  
post #35526 of 36542 Old 03-07-2019, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
Chuck Ebby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Frostbite Falls
Posts: 559
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post
It does in the special viewing mode "GAME" as well, but I believe the original inquiry was regarding the actual Picture Modes.
Nolo contendere

_________________
Samsung KS8000 TV, Samsung UBD-K8500 Blu Ray, Roku Streaming Stick+ (4K/HDR) 3810x, Denon AVR-S720W, Directv HR54 and 4K Genie Mini
Chuck Ebby is offline  
post #35527 of 36542 Old 03-08-2019, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member
 
hancox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Monroe, CT
Posts: 699
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Ebby View Post
There are some of us that are hopeful that 1239 will allow HLG for Directv via HDMI without the use of an Integral box. Although it is possible to get it via the built in RVU app, most do not want to deal with the idiosyncrasies of the app and, of course, the audio limitations of any app that runs first through the TV prior to a receiver. Admittedly though, the material offered to date on the limited 4K Directv channels pales in comparison to the BBC iPlayer.

Probably by the time HLG becomes a bigger deal in North America most of us will have moved on to newer TVs anyway. Given the love hate (great TV versus broken promises on HDR10+ and HLG) as a KS8000 owner, Samsung (sadly) will almost certainly not be on my purchase list.
...this is really starting to tick me off.

DirecTV has a massive selection of HDR programming this month, possibly including the first NCAA tournament games broadcast in 4K (though I am a bit skeptical).
I own and use the AVRKey, which seems to work fine, but I'm a little skeptical there, too, given the HLG info that people have shown here, on the display end.

What is Samsung's holdup on putting this out globally? I really hope it's not something silly like a freeze on rollouts for this model year.

Just venting...
sparky7 likes this.
hancox is offline  
post #35528 of 36542 Old 03-08-2019, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jconjason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,012
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1277 Post(s)
Liked: 2118
Quote:
Originally Posted by hancox View Post
...this is really starting to tick me off.

DirecTV has a massive selection of HDR programming this month, possibly including the first NCAA tournament games broadcast in 4K (though I am a bit skeptical).
I own and use the AVRKey, which seems to work fine, but I'm a little skeptical there, too, given the HLG info that people have shown here, on the display end.

What is Samsung's holdup on putting this out globally? I really hope it's not something silly like a freeze on rollouts for this model year.

Just venting...
I vaguely recall a post saying it won't be available in the States. I wish I hadn't sold my Integral LOL. I would like to watch DirecTV HDR programming as it's just beautiful, but I can live with the 4K until my next TV purchase. Which will NOT be a Samsung.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
jconjason is offline  
post #35529 of 36542 Old 03-08-2019, 11:06 AM
Member
 
cyenz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Why its taking so long for Samsung to publish this new FW? I´ve been using since it was shared and i had no issue whatsover.
cyenz is offline  
post #35530 of 36542 Old 03-08-2019, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Terminader's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: California
Posts: 1,973
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked: 1633
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyenz View Post
Why its taking so long for Samsung to publish this new FW? I´ve been using since it was shared and i had no issue whatsover.
$$ and priority.

It's 2019 and our TVs are 2016.

Sent from my Samsung S8+ using Tapatalk
Terminader is offline  
post #35531 of 36542 Old 03-08-2019, 11:45 AM
Member
 
cyenz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminader View Post
$$ and priority.

It's 2019 and our TVs are 2016.

Sent from my Samsung S8+ using Tapatalk

I would understand that if no work was done, but the FW is basically final, just a matter of deploying it for the other regions.
Terminader likes this.
cyenz is offline  
post #35532 of 36542 Old 03-08-2019, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
Chuck Ebby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Frostbite Falls
Posts: 559
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by hancox View Post
...this is really starting to tick me off.

DirecTV has a massive selection of HDR programming this month, possibly including the first NCAA tournament games broadcast in 4K (though I am a bit skeptical).
I own and use the AVRKey, which seems to work fine, but I'm a little skeptical there, too, given the HLG info that people have shown here, on the display end.

What is Samsung's holdup on putting this out globally? I really hope it's not something silly like a freeze on rollouts for this model year.

Just venting...
If I was giving Samsung the benefit of the doubt I might think it is because there is an issue with the interface with Directv that is holding it up. But I think it is more likely that the only reason is we didn't make as big a fuss as our counterparts in Europe and the UK. I still check daily though.

_________________
Samsung KS8000 TV, Samsung UBD-K8500 Blu Ray, Roku Streaming Stick+ (4K/HDR) 3810x, Denon AVR-S720W, Directv HR54 and 4K Genie Mini
Chuck Ebby is offline  
post #35533 of 36542 Old 03-09-2019, 06:56 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Ebby View Post
If I was giving Samsung the benefit of the doubt I might think it is because there is an issue with the interface with Directv that is holding it up. But I think it is more likely that the only reason is we didn't make as big a fuss as our counterparts in Europe and the UK. I still check daily though.
There might be some licensing fees involved for deployment in the United States.
[email protected] is offline  
post #35534 of 36542 Old 03-12-2019, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
Chuck Ebby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Frostbite Falls
Posts: 559
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
There might be some licensing fees involved for deployment in the United States.
If there was, I don't know how that would work. Wouldn't it be a blanket fee for Samsung in general and not limited to a singe model number? If newer Samsung models display HLG over HDMI I would think any fee is a non issue. But that is just my uneducated guess.

_________________
Samsung KS8000 TV, Samsung UBD-K8500 Blu Ray, Roku Streaming Stick+ (4K/HDR) 3810x, Denon AVR-S720W, Directv HR54 and 4K Genie Mini
Chuck Ebby is offline  
post #35535 of 36542 Old 03-12-2019, 07:53 PM
NTC
Senior Member
 
NTC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Aabama, USA
Posts: 359
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Ebby View Post
If there was, I don't know how that would work. Wouldn't it be a blanket fee for Samsung in general and not limited to a singe model number? If newer Samsung models display HLG over HDMI I would think any fee is a non issue. But that is just my uneducated guess.

According to HDMI's website, the HDMI 2.0a licensing fee is per unit made. therefore paid. The HLG standard is open source, like HDR10, so no cost there. The KS's have HDMI 2.0a, so there shouldn't be any added cost to add HLG except for firmware development, but that was already accomplished with the UE models, and should be portable to the UN.


We may have to wait until ATSC 3.0 tuner boxes become available (this Xmas?) before we see any firmware to allow HLG over HDMI. But, as someone said before, we are talking about 2016 models, and in the world of electronics, already long in the tooth.
NTC is offline  
post #35536 of 36542 Old 03-13-2019, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
hancox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Monroe, CT
Posts: 699
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Ebby View Post
If there was, I don't know how that would work. Wouldn't it be a blanket fee for Samsung in general and not limited to a singe model number? If newer Samsung models display HLG over HDMI I would think any fee is a non issue. But that is just my uneducated guess.
HLG seems to work over not-HDMI, so i would think that would cover any licensing cost concerns.
Chuck Ebby likes this.
hancox is offline  
post #35537 of 36542 Old 03-14-2019, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
Chuck Ebby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Frostbite Falls
Posts: 559
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 572
The link to the KS8000 NA support redirects to another Samsung page now. The Korean link still works.

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/o...-tv-ks8-series

https://www.samsung.com/sec/support/...N55KS8000FXKR/

_________________
Samsung KS8000 TV, Samsung UBD-K8500 Blu Ray, Roku Streaming Stick+ (4K/HDR) 3810x, Denon AVR-S720W, Directv HR54 and 4K Genie Mini
Chuck Ebby is offline  
post #35538 of 36542 Old 03-14-2019, 05:56 PM
NTC
Senior Member
 
NTC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Aabama, USA
Posts: 359
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Ebby View Post
The link to the KS8000 NA support redirects to another Samsung page now. The Korean link still works.

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/o...-tv-ks8-series

https://www.samsung.com/sec/support/...N55KS8000FXKR/

Looks like they added zeros to the link


https://www.samsung.com/us/support/o...-ks8000-series
Rolls-Royce and Chuck Ebby like this.
NTC is offline  
post #35539 of 36542 Old 03-14-2019, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Terminader's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: California
Posts: 1,973
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked: 1633
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTC View Post
Looks like they added zeros to the link


https://www.samsung.com/us/support/o...-ks8000-series
Makes me wonder if...no more firmware updates, ever....Last Firmware Version Ever.pdf

Sent from my Samsung S8+ using Tapatalk
Rolls-Royce, Chuck Ebby and NTC like this.
Terminader is offline  
post #35540 of 36542 Old 03-15-2019, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DM2006RI's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,034
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by hancox View Post
...this is really starting to tick me off.

DirecTV has a massive selection of HDR programming this month, possibly including the first NCAA tournament games broadcast in 4K (though I am a bit skeptical).
I own and use the AVRKey, which seems to work fine, but I'm a little skeptical there, too, given the HLG info that people have shown here, on the display end.

What is Samsung's holdup on putting this out globally? I really hope it's not something silly like a freeze on rollouts for this model year.

Just venting...
I have to say -- I don't feel the 4K broadcasting push whatsoever. It feels as dead as the 3D broadcasts DirecTV used to throw out there were. Nobody is talking about it, few people care about it. Didn't they show "selected Olympics" all on delay? There's just nothing happening beyond some token events. Add in that 4K UHD is really struggling (and it is, you can't tell me manufacturers like Samsung and Oppo bailing out of the format is a sign it's selling well) and it's just nutty we've had this huge push "into 4K"...with really very little content out there supporting it. Even several years since the KS8000 came out, it's surprising how little content there really is.
DM2006RI is online now  
post #35541 of 36542 Old 03-15-2019, 11:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jconjason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,012
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1277 Post(s)
Liked: 2118
Quote:
Originally Posted by DM2006RI View Post
I have to say -- I don't feel the 4K broadcasting push whatsoever. It feels as dead as the 3D broadcasts DirecTV used to throw out there were. Nobody is talking about it, few people care about it. Didn't they show "selected Olympics" all on delay? There's just nothing happening beyond some token events. Add in that 4K UHD is really struggling (and it is, you can't tell me manufacturers like Samsung and Oppo bailing out of the format is a sign it's selling well) and it's just nutty we've had this huge push "into 4K"...with really very little content out there supporting it. Even several years since the KS8000 came out, it's surprising how little content there really is.
That's your opinion. One that's not shared by the vast majority.
Chuck Ebby and Terminader like this.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP

Last edited by jconjason; 03-15-2019 at 11:28 PM.
jconjason is offline  
post #35542 of 36542 Old 03-16-2019, 05:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blenky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hove, UK
Posts: 1,416
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 968 Post(s)
Liked: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by DM2006RI View Post
I have to say -- I don't feel the 4K broadcasting push whatsoever. It feels as dead as the 3D broadcasts DirecTV used to throw out there were. Nobody is talking about it, few people care about it. Didn't they show "selected Olympics" all on delay? There's just nothing happening beyond some token events. Add in that 4K UHD is really struggling (and it is, you can't tell me manufacturers like Samsung and Oppo bailing out of the format is a sign it's selling well) and it's just nutty we've had this huge push "into 4K"...with really very little content out there supporting it. Even several years since the KS8000 came out, it's surprising how little content there really is.
Maybe it a regional thing. I don't know where you live but in the UK and Europe there is a fair amount of movement - although I agree not as much as the push to HD.

The BBC are continuing to (albeit slowly!) show UHD HDR (HLG) on iPlayer with hopefully more content this year. Sky Italia pushed for the HLG over HDMI for the KS range - I'm sure that was for good reason. Virgin Media now have a fully UHD HDR capable box with a dedicated (non HDR) UHD channel.

The BBC is the one to watch as last years World Cup, Wimbledon coverage and the Dynasties series were stellar.

So although the push is slow - its far from dead

Samsung UE55KS8000 | Pioneer SC-LX701 | Dune HD Pro 4K | Zidoo Z9S | Apple TV 4K | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Player
blenky is offline  
post #35543 of 36542 Old 03-18-2019, 12:48 PM
Senior Member
 
chili555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: South Carolina, by the lake
Posts: 256
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Yesterday, a thin vertical line appeared on my 60KS8000.

After an arduous process with Samsung's customer support, I requested out-of-warranty service.

I was contacted by a nearby facility offering service. An appointment was made. Later today, they called back to inform me that, without ever even seeing the TV (!!!), they needed my approval to order $1,060 in parts. I replied that I may as well buy a new TV and that I felt that Samsung had met their marketing goals. The repair clerk agreed. I told her to inform Samsung that I would indeed be buying a new TV but I'd not be buying a Samsung.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	my_blue_line.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	225.5 KB
ID:	2540914  
chili555 is offline  
post #35544 of 36542 Old 03-18-2019, 04:39 PM
Member
 
fairfaxgator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hello ALL:

Thanks again for keeping up with an informative forum! Been on it for 10 years!

My UN65KS8000 just died this past Friday. The notorious on/off/on/off/on...to eternity. Bought May 17, 2017. Of course just out of Samsung warranty. Luckily, I bought a SquareTrade warranty for the TV in June 2017. Called them today and a new replacement was approved.

I will find out once their staff research and email me equivalents to the KS8000. Assume those would be the Samsung Q Series and most likely the Q6 and NOT any MU, NU, or RU? Just want to make sure in case I have to tell them that the Hisense, lower model Samsungs or LGs are not close to the specs from the KS8000 from 2-3 years ago.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Fairfaxgator
fairfaxgator is offline  
post #35545 of 36542 Old 03-19-2019, 07:34 AM
Member
 
Pseudotrue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairfaxgator View Post
I will find out once their staff research and email me equivalents to the KS8000. Assume those would be the Samsung Q Series and most likely the Q6 and NOT any MU, NU, or RU? Just want to make sure in case I have to tell them that the Hisense, lower model Samsungs or LGs are not close to the specs from the KS8000 from 2-3 years ago.
Isn't the q7 the one connect enabled set? I'd argue that to be the equivalent of the ks8000 at this point.
Pseudotrue is offline  
post #35546 of 36542 Old 03-19-2019, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Rolls-Royce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Victorville, CA
Posts: 4,167
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1153 Post(s)
Liked: 1245
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairfaxgator View Post
Hello ALL:

Thanks again for keeping up with an informative forum! Been on it for 10 years!

My UN65KS8000 just died this past Friday. The notorious on/off/on/off/on...to eternity. Bought May 17, 2017. Of course just out of Samsung warranty. Luckily, I bought a SquareTrade warranty for the TV in June 2017. Called them today and a new replacement was approved.

I will find out once their staff research and email me equivalents to the KS8000. Assume those would be the Samsung Q Series and most likely the Q6 and NOT any MU, NU, or RU? Just want to make sure in case I have to tell them that the Hisense, lower model Samsungs or LGs are not close to the specs from the KS8000 from 2-3 years ago.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Fairfaxgator
I seem to remember a post in this thread by a person whose KS8000 had failed and the replacement he was offered WAS an MU or NU series set. You can search for it. I wouldn't get your hopes up too high, as I believe the replacement offered will be based on the price you paid for your TV, not its position in the Samsung lineup.
chili555 and grgic84 like this.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
Rolls-Royce is offline  
post #35547 of 36542 Old 03-19-2019, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Sound & Vision's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,380
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by hancox View Post
...this is really starting to tick me off.

DirecTV has a massive selection of HDR programming this month, possibly including the first NCAA tournament games broadcast in 4K (though I am a bit skeptical).
I own and use the AVRKey, which seems to work fine, but I'm a little skeptical there, too, given the HLG info that people have shown here, on the display end.

What is Samsung's holdup on putting this out globally? I really hope it's not something silly like a freeze on rollouts for this model year.

Just venting...
Samsung is simply being stubborn...... They want the whole world to embrace their HDR10+ and no other format..... They also don't want to pay the well respected Dolby Vision their licensing fee as that would further put another nail in their HDR10+'s coffin...... Unfortunately, just about the whole world seems to be enjoying and embracing Dolby Vision (except for Samsung TV owners) as it has successfully made its way into many of the current 4K UHD releases.. I am not bashing Samsung as my next TV is most likely going to be a Samsung.... But be it HLG or Dolby Vision..... Samsung needs to get over it and start adding these additional formats for use by their loyal customers... What good is 10,000 nit TV if you have no content to use on it.... 🙂
NTC likes this.
Sound & Vision is online now  
post #35548 of 36542 Old 03-19-2019, 04:16 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound & Vision View Post
Samsung is simply being stubborn...... They want the whole world to embrace their HDR10+ and no other format..... They also don't want to pay the well respected Dolby Vision their licensing fee as that would further put another nail in their HDR10+'s coffin...... Unfortunately, just about the whole world seems to be enjoying and embracing Dolby Vision (except for Samsung TV owners) as it has successfully made its way into many of the current 4K UHD releases.. I am not bashing Samsung as my next TV is most likely going to be a Samsung.... But be it HLG or Dolby Vision..... Samsung needs to get over it and start adding these additional formats for use by their loyal customers... What good is 10,000 nit TV if you have no content to use on it.... 🙂
A bit of an exaggeration as everything supports HDR10 and most things still do not support anything but HDR10, but I agree with you from a standpoint of universality.
dejanh is offline  
post #35549 of 36542 Old 03-19-2019, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Sound & Vision's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,380
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejanh View Post
A bit of an exaggeration as everything supports HDR10 and most things still do not support anything but HDR10, but I agree with you from a standpoint of universality.
I'm talking about HDR10+ (Plus)... Samsung is the creator of this standard.. Your thinking about regular HDR10 that's the open source one.. You can read more about HDR10+ (Plus) here;

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/hdr1...u-need-to-know
Sound & Vision is online now  
post #35550 of 36542 Old 03-19-2019, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
tomnan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: oh-io
Posts: 746
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I read about it, I tried it, and I was shocked

I own a 55" KS8000 and watch Directv(HD), Netflix and Amazon Prime. I Have always used pretty middle of the road picture settings, all enhancements off, Movie mode, black level 44, contrast 95-100, color 50. color tone warm2, gamma 0, Smart LED on low. About the only difference was I always had to have backlight up around 12-15(never used a blacked out room but that's still high).

I was messing around youtube(sorry don't know which video) and someone was talking about how update 1231 had transformed their picture and fixed whatever problems there were with Dynamic Contrast and Auto Motion Plus if I remember correctly. The only thing I had remembered reading on this thread was 1231 messed up some things.

I set Dynamic contrast on high, Auto Motion Plus on custom,0,0 and Smart LED on high. I then had to reduce color to 40-42 to get color intensity right on faces and for some reason I now am using 4-8 on my backlight. I'm still using Movie.

I must tell you my picture is so much more impressive than before that I am shocked. I previously had one of the highest tested plasmas in history and I am finally glad it broke.

Please try it and tell me what you think, good or bad, thanks.

Samsung UN55KS8000 purchased 2017
Denon AVR1610 purchased 2010
Cherry Energy RC10 mains purchased 2010, RC-LCR center purchased 2017, RCmini surrounds purchased 2010
PSA 15V purchased 3/26/18

Last edited by tomnan24; 03-19-2019 at 05:22 PM.
tomnan24 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
denon s740h , extra , hdmi input , KS8000/KS8500 , no picture , one connect fail , xbox one s

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off