Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 1211 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 179871Likes

post #36301 of 36549 Old 07-10-2019, 02:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by NISSAN200SXFTWW View Post
Hi all, I'm in need of some help with my KS8000 TV and Yamaha HTR-3066 receiver.

I can't seem to get any sound through my external speakers when watching normal TV, the sound works fine when playing on my PS4 and 4k blu-ray player, the way I have it all set up is;

HDMI plugged in to receiver OUTPUT to TV connect box ARC input
HDMI plugged in to receiver HDMI slot 1 to HDMI PS4
OPTICAL Cable plugged in to receiver OPTICAL PORT to TV connect box OPTICAL PORT

I've also changed the audio output settings to Optical, but no sound comes out whatsoever.

I've searched for solutions tried them but no change, what is wrong?

Thanks.

I have the same problem with my JS8000 and my Yamaha rx v679. When I first set up the ARC hdmi, it all worked perfectly, that was until there was an OTA update on the Yamaha and then it stopped working. I went through all the menus and settings and never managed to get it working again. Eventually I gave up and connected an optical spdif from the one connect to the AV4 on my Yamaha and I get the sound through the Yammy by pressing AV4( don't bite my head off for asking, are you remembering to press the correct AV button rather than the HDMI buttons?) My TV is permanently switched on to "TV speakers". I realise we have different TVs and AVs but they are very similar and most likely work in very similar ways.

All the best.
Cris.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #36302 of 36549 Old 07-10-2019, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Trouble shooting ARC can be a nightmare. Have you tried unplugging the ARC HDMI cable from the TV for 10 minutes (might be 15 mins, can't remember)? This is a hard reset on the ARC port. If that doesnt work, toggle both devices (TV and Processor/soundbar) CEC function to OFF and try unplugging the same HDMI cable again. Plug the cable in first and toggle CEC back on. It's really a crap-shoot with ARC but worth trying if you haven't already.

Sent from my Samsung S9+ using Tapatalk
post #36303 of 36549 Old 07-11-2019, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 16
When I hook my Xbox One S up with the HDMI cable to my one connect box I can't get anything to come on the tv, just a black screen and says check the cable, etc. When I hook it directly up to my Denon receiver it works fine. My PS4 works fine using the one connect box. Anyone have any suggestions why this is happening? Is there a handshake problem with the XBOX and KS8000 using the one connect box? Reason for this is so I can use a specific hdmi port and have game mode on all the time when i turn my xbox on just like my ps4. I get tired of having to switch to game mode so this is an easy solution just like with my ps4. Thanks for the feedback in advance guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #36304 of 36549 Old 07-12-2019, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogfan2502 View Post
When I hook my Xbox One S up with the HDMI cable to my one connect box I can't get anything to come on the tv, just a black screen and says check the cable, etc. When I hook it directly up to my Denon receiver it works fine. My PS4 works fine using the one connect box. Anyone have any suggestions why this is happening? Is there a handshake problem with the XBOX and KS8000 using the one connect box? Reason for this is so I can use a specific hdmi port and have game mode on all the time when i turn my xbox on just like my ps4. I get tired of having to switch to game mode so this is an easy solution just like with my ps4. Thanks for the feedback in advance guys!

The first thing to try is a hard reset of the one connect box (unplug for 30 secs etc). Second thing to try is a reset of the smart hub. It's a pain in the backside, but as long as you keep a record of your settings it won't take forever to get it back as you like it.

Other than that, I'll leave it up to others to suggest answers.

All the best. Let me know if you've tried this and any results.
Terminader and Take Two like this.
post #36305 of 36549 Old 07-12-2019, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Did you check the cable?
Seriously, try a new cable.
post #36306 of 36549 Old 07-12-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennoDXB View Post
Quote:
Did you check the cable?
Seriously, try a new cable.
Yes lol, it’s the Xbox cable that came with it. I also swapped the PS4 cable that actually works using the one connect. Idk what the deal is. I’ve tried everything. I’m pretty techy and I still can’t figure it out.

Last edited by Hogfan2502; 07-12-2019 at 08:21 AM.
post #36307 of 36549 Old 07-12-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adored Black Stray-Cat View Post
Quote:

The first thing to try is a hard reset of the one connect box (unplug for 30 secs etc). Second thing to try is a reset of the smart hub. It's a pain in the backside, but as long as you keep a record of your settings it won't take forever to get it back as you like it.

Other than that, I'll leave it up to others to suggest answers.

All the best. Let me know if you've tried this and any results.
Nothing worked, thanks for the suggestions though. I’ll keep trying.
post #36308 of 36549 Old 07-12-2019, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Nothing worked, thanks for the suggestions though. I’ll keep trying.
Are you positive everything is set up right with the video settings in the Xbox? Your Denon could be up or down converting to match the TV input settings but maybe the Xbox isnt?

post #36309 of 36549 Old 07-12-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Olson View Post
Quote:
Nothing worked, thanks for the suggestions though. I’️ll keep trying.
Are you positive everything is set up right with the video settings in the Xbox? Your Denon could be up or down converting to match the TV input settings but maybe the Xbox isnt?

It was the hdmi cable. Tried another cable and it finally worked. Thanks for the help guys.
post #36310 of 36549 Old 07-12-2019, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
This might be a known or old issue, but is anybody experiencing really slow speeds using the built in Wifi? Using the SpeedTest Master app I am getting 20-30Mbps and 280 ping (other device in same spot gets 150Mbps). It manifest itself frequently with very low quality video on Netflix / Amazon.

Any cheap solutions or fixes for this (non-Ethernet wired) ?
post #36311 of 36549 Old 07-13-2019, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
This might be a known or old issue, but is anybody experiencing really slow speeds using the built in Wifi? Using the SpeedTest Master app I am getting 20-30Mbps and 280 ping (other device in same spot gets 150Mbps). It manifest itself frequently with very low quality video on Netflix / Amazon.

Any cheap solutions or fixes for this (non-Ethernet wired) ?

It sounds like it’s connecting to the 2.4Ghz channel and the other devices are connecting to the 5Ghz channel which has faster bandwidth. You can try using separate SSIDs to force it to connect at 5Ghz if your router supports that. You could also look into getting a mesh WiFi solution (Orbi, Eero, Velop, Google, etc) to improve signal near your TV. This uses a unified network where you place the mesh devices across the home. The mesh system extends the network wirelessly, eliminating dead zones (with little to no loss of throughput) allowing your devices to connect seamlessly to one network throughout your home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Samsung UN55KS8000 | Denon AVR-X4500H | AppleTV 4K | DirecTV HR54 + 4K RVU | Samsung UBD-M8500
Samsung UN55HU8550 + SEK-4500/ZA | Samsung Soundbar HW-H550 | AppleTV 4K | DirecTV C41W | Samsung UBD-K8500
Samsung UN32EH4003 | AppleTV 4th Gen | DirecTV C41W
post #36312 of 36549 Old 07-15-2019, 05:06 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Strange mark on Samsung KS8000 appeared

I've just noticed this mark on our TV.

All colour is shown through it and looking straight on its not that visible in dark scenes but in light scenes it's very visible which will hopefully come out in the pics I'm about to take.

Any ideas what it may be?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1563192324793276580390689340927_1563192363373.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	720.0 KB
ID:	2590890   Click image for larger version

Name:	15631923760043570386784051047777_1563192383226.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	697.1 KB
ID:	2590892  
post #36313 of 36549 Old 07-16-2019, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnersp View Post

All colour is shown through it and looking straight on its not that visible in dark scenes but in light scenes it's very visible which will hopefully come out in the pics I'm about to take.

I think you've got bigger problems if every time you write an "S" it comes out as "s". LOL
iceman5664 likes this.
post #36314 of 36549 Old 07-16-2019, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnersp View Post

This is a coded message, isn't it? Where, then, are we to expect the Kraken to be unleashed?
post #36315 of 36549 Old 07-16-2019, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
LOL I have no idea why my message decided to get funky. I had just registered and posted from my Andriod phone...

Anyway, good news is the mark is getting smaller by the day, which I hope it continues to do.

Anyone have a clue what it may be?
post #36316 of 36549 Old 07-16-2019, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I just updated my HTPC to Windows 10 Version 1903 from Windows 10 Version 1803. As always with a major Windows update, there are problems. I am running an Nvidia Geforce 1050ti video card in my HTPC. I reinstalled the newest Nvidia driver. I'm also on the newest firmware for the KS8000. UHD color is on for all of my TV's inputs.

After the update, SDR still looks great using slightly tweaked stock Samsung settings for Movie mode on the KS8000.

But, when I toggle HDR on in Windows 10, everything looks completely washed out, almost black and white, even though the TV displays HDR when I press the Info button on the remote and I can tell the picture settings are switching to what used to work well for HDR (slightly tweaked default Samsung HDR Movie Mode settings).

To get the Windows desktop, SDR movies, or even HDR movies to look half-way normal with HDR toggled "On" in Windows settings, I had to crank the color on the TV all the way up to 85! Any ideas what may be wrong?

I have both SDR and HDR looking okay to my eyes. The TV is remembering my settings and switching like it should when I toggle HDR off and on in Windows settings, so I can live with it. Still, I feel like jacking up the color that much can't possibly render an accurate 4K HDR picture.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited by volumnus1; 07-17-2019 at 12:58 AM.
post #36317 of 36549 Old 07-17-2019, 01:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 186
^^
try to go to display setting on your windows,make sure night light setting is off,HDR games and apps is off,and see what you get.

Last edited by 3dprojector; 07-17-2019 at 02:06 AM.
post #36318 of 36549 Old 07-17-2019, 03:29 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by volumnus1 View Post
I just updated my HTPC to Windows 10 Version 1903 from Windows 10 Version 1803. As always with a major Windows update, there are problems. I am running an Nvidia Geforce 1050ti video card in my HTPC. I reinstalled the newest Nvidia driver. I'm also on the newest firmware for the KS8000. UHD color is on for all of my TV's inputs.

After the update, SDR still looks great using slightly tweaked stock Samsung settings for Movie mode on the KS8000.

But, when I toggle HDR on in Windows 10, everything looks completely washed out, almost black and white, even though the TV displays HDR when I press the Info button on the remote and I can tell the picture settings are switching to what used to work well for HDR (slightly tweaked default Samsung HDR Movie Mode settings).

To get the Windows desktop, SDR movies, or even HDR movies to look half-way normal with HDR toggled "On" in Windows settings, I had to crank the color on the TV all the way up to 85! Any ideas what may be wrong?

I have both SDR and HDR looking okay to my eyes. The TV is remembering my settings and switching like it should when I toggle HDR off and on in Windows settings, so I can live with it. Still, I feel like jacking up the color that much can't possibly render an accurate 4K HDR picture.

It sounds like TV isn't kicking in WCG mode, you need to change refreshrate manually (from 60 hz to 23 hz for example for 23,976 fps content) to force WCG mode, or use something like madVR to do it automatically. MadVR also allows using Nvidia HDR API for auto switch, so you don't have to use Windows toggle every time you want to watch HDR video.
volumnus1 likes this.
post #36319 of 36549 Old 07-17-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoKlusz View Post
It sounds like TV isn't kicking in WCG mode, you need to change refreshrate manually (from 60 hz to 23 hz for example for 23,976 fps content) to force WCG mode, or use something like madVR to do it automatically. MadVR also allows using Nvidia HDR API for auto switch, so you don't have to use Windows toggle every time you want to watch HDR video.
Thanks. I took your advice. I installed MPC-HC with Mad-VR. The autoswitching is nice. I hated having to toggle HDR on and off in Windows settings. I also enabled full-color in the Nvidia control panel.

Stock Samsung Movie mode still looks great for SDR movies, but for HDR, it's way too dim. I can either mess with the TV's brightness and color, or I can just crank up Gamma to 3 in the KS8000's Movie mode settings. It's easier to crank up the Gamma. I still don't see how my HDR experience can be very accurate with the Gamma that high. Any more ideas?

post #36320 of 36549 Old 07-17-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I took your advice. I installed MPC-HC with Mad-VR. The autoswitching is nice. I hated having to toggle HDR on and off in Windows settings. I also enabled full-color in the Nvidia control panel.

Stock Samsung Movie mode still looks great for SDR movies, but for HDR, it's way too dim. I can either mess with the TV's brightness and color, or I can just crank up Gamma to 3 in the KS8000's Movie mode settings. It's easier to crank up the Gamma. I still don't see how my HDR experience can be very accurate with the Gamma that high. Any more ideas?

I ended up using game mode all the time. The contrast is worse, but it's but it's less dim overall, and it doesn't have brightness fluctuations. Try game mode with Gamma 0, I've been told that it follows EOTF correctly.
volumnus1 likes this.
post #36321 of 36549 Old 07-17-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
I ended up using game mode all the time. The contrast is worse, but it's but it's less dim overall, and it doesn't have brightness fluctuations. Try game mode with Gamma 0, I've been told that it follows EOTF correctly.

Thanks! Game mode does look better. Do you turn Game mode on from within Movie Mode or Standard Mode or? Also do you leave it set to Native color. I've seen where Auto is more accurate.
post #36322 of 36549 Old 07-18-2019, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Thanks! Game mode does look better. Do you turn Game mode on from within Movie Mode or Standard Mode or? Also do you leave it set to Native color. I've seen where Auto is more accurate.
From movie mode, but I don't think it makes any difference. And yes, color space on auto is correct option.
volumnus1 likes this.
post #36323 of 36549 Old 07-18-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
From movie mode, but I don't think it makes any difference. And yes, color space on auto is correct option.

Thanks for all your help.
post #36324 of 36549 Old 07-18-2019, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1278 Post(s)
Liked: 2120
Quote:
It doesn't matter because Game Mode will override whatever Picture Mode you are in. They are separate of each other.
FarmerBob and volumnus1 like this.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #36325 of 36549 Old 07-19-2019, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:

KS8000 has problems with color spaces switching. Youtube app use r2020 for sdr content(just watch some r2020 HDR video, then switch to sdr video, and color space would be r2020 instead of rec709). In case of windows HDR, TV doesn't switch rec709 color space to rec2020. You need to change refhresh rate in drivers or change name of tv source "PC"-->"game console"/ "game console"---->"PC"---> "game console"
HDR PC mode has been broken for years.
post #36326 of 36549 Old 07-19-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsar123 View Post
KS8000 has problems with color spaces switching. Youtube app use r2020 for sdr content(just watch some r2020 HDR video, then switch to sdr video, and color space would be r2020 instead of rec709). In case of windows HDR, TV doesn't switch rec709 color space to rec2020. You need to change refhresh rate in drivers or change name of tv source "PC"-->"game console"/ "game console"---->"PC"---> "game console"

HDR PC mode has been broken for years.
What I noticed is that if I changed the TV input to my 4K Chromecast and then changed the input back to my Windows 10 HTPC, the washed out colors problem in HDR mode would be fixed. I think that is the same issue you are referencing. I definitely think the problem is that the TV is not adjusting itself to Windows 10 HDR correctly. There are lots of threads by KS8000 owners about washed out colors in HDR mode. Check out the Nvidia thread.

Last edited by volumnus1; 07-19-2019 at 01:10 PM.
post #36327 of 36549 Old 07-20-2019, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Hi guys. Please tell me my TV isn't toast.
While playing my game, the TV started to power off and on continuously. This is currently the only function it has even after unplugging it for an hour.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Home theatre: 65" Sony X950G / LG UBKM9 / Sony UBD-X800 / Xbox One X Project Scorpio / PS4 Pro
Denon AVR-X4400H 7.1.4 config. / Plantronics Dolby Atmos RIG 600LX
Pioneer Andrew Jones L,R,C,SL,SR,SBL,SBR / (4) Polk Atrium 5 series TF,TR
SVS PB-2000 w/ SVS SoundPath Subwoofer Isolation System
post #36328 of 36549 Old 07-20-2019, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by camd5pt0 View Post
Hi guys. Please tell me my TV isn't toast.
While playing my game, the TV started to power off and on continuously. This is currently the only function it has even after unplugging it for an hour.

Sounds like it needs a power supply board or repair to same. It should be repairable .
camd5pt0 likes this.

Samsung 55KS8000 ,Samsung 55MU6300 . Sony 55X850C ,LG 42LB5400 ,Roku 2
Sony ES 7.1HT AVR modest 5.1 surround with Elac B6 fronts w/other impedance and sensitivity matched surrounds , center and powered sub that work well for what it is.
post #36329 of 36549 Old 07-21-2019, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Welp, it was a fun ride guys. Gonna shelve the KS for the time being and open her up when the time comes. I loved this TV and always thought I had a perfect one, a unicorn. I was content and not looking to replace it any time soon until this happened.

If anyone is looking for a replacement, from my research, this is what I went with.

Home theatre: 65" Sony X950G / LG UBKM9 / Sony UBD-X800 / Xbox One X Project Scorpio / PS4 Pro
Denon AVR-X4400H 7.1.4 config. / Plantronics Dolby Atmos RIG 600LX
Pioneer Andrew Jones L,R,C,SL,SR,SBL,SBR / (4) Polk Atrium 5 series TF,TR
SVS PB-2000 w/ SVS SoundPath Subwoofer Isolation System
post #36330 of 36549 Old 07-21-2019, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 63
^^ decent choice
camd5pt0 likes this.

Samsung 55KS8000 ,Samsung 55MU6300 . Sony 55X850C ,LG 42LB5400 ,Roku 2
Sony ES 7.1HT AVR modest 5.1 surround with Elac B6 fronts w/other impedance and sensitivity matched surrounds , center and powered sub that work well for what it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
denon s740h , extra , hdmi input , KS8000/KS8500 , no picture , one connect fail , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page