Originally Posted by Garwoofoo
Help please. I've been running this TV with a Samsung soundbar (the HW-K650) connecting them via the Wifi option. Of late I have found this a bit flakey so I've changed things around and connected the two via optical cable. Everything's sounding great, lip sync's much improved, I'm very happy apart from the fact that I can't find a way to get the TV remote to control the soundbar volume.
Naively I thought as they were both Samsung products (indeed they came as a bundle when I bought them) this would be easy to do and I know this works via HDMI-ARC but I can't get it to work with optical. I've tried all the obvious things - Anynet is on, the Auto Power Link is working. I've been through the Universal Remote settings and it's detected the soundbar OK and says that it should now appear in my list of audio sources under settings but it doesn't - all I get is TV speakers, Bluetooth and Audio Out.
As it stands I have to use the (very fiddly) soundbar remote to adjust the volume. Is there any way of syncing up the TV remote or is this just something that isn't going to work?
EDIT: interestingly it appears my Virgin Media cable box remote also adjusts the soundbar volume. So it clearly can be done. It's just the Samsung Smart Remote that doesn't want to do it.
EDIT 2: I can assign the smart remote to a particular HDMI socket in the Universal Remote panel, which makes it work for that input only. This is very bizarre. I can't get it to work across everything though.
- Go to 'Source' on Smart HUB and choose the second icon from the left: 'Configure Universal Remote'.
- Now you have to search for your audio system by brand name and model.
- If you can't find your brand or specific model then randomly choose another brand/model and test if you can adjust the volume with the Universal Remote.
- Once you've found a option that will let you change the volume with the Universal Remote then add this audio system to your menu.
- Next step is to add all input devices you've got connected to the TV trough HDMI via the same method.
(Tip: You don't have to choose the actual input device that you're using. I've selected a blu ray player for all HDMI inputs to save time.
- When done correctly you should have 1 icon for your audio system + the same amount of icons as input devices you've connected to the TV.
- Now choose one of these HDMI input devices and then you should see a option called something like 'Combine, Pair or Link' (i'm translating this from a Dutch menu
), select that option.
- Choose your audio system and now the HDMI input name will change to a combination of your HDMI input device + audio system.
- Now you've configured your Universal Remote so that it can control the volume of your audio system with the selected HDMI input.
- Repeat these steps for the remaining HDMI inputs.
- Now the Universal Remote will work with all HDMI inputs + internal apps.
- Go back to Smart Hub and rename the HDMI inputs to your personal liking.