Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 1217 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 179978Likes

post #36481 of 36722 Old 09-25-2019, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev Herbert View Post
Hi ThaBEN

Does 124.15 support HD-DTS Master

thanks Kev

As mentioned before, This TV can only pass out the core audio of any HD codec, so only the basic non HD version are getting transmitted via ARC or Toslink. Not so much an issue of the TV but a limitation of the technology used. New TV's with eARC can pass higher bitrate HD audio formats.
ThaBEN and Kev Herbert like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #36482 of 36722 Old 09-25-2019, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassem77 View Post
1233 and factory reset.
The best fw in my opinion, but i am among those who use dynamic contrast, standard mode and « only » warm1.
So no director intention here.
I still have my ks even after buying an oled and it still looks great.

Why 1233?
post #36483 of 36722 Old 09-26-2019, 12:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassem77 View Post
1233 and factory reset.
The best fw in my opinion, but i am among those who use dynamic contrast, standard mode and « only » warm1.
So no director intention here.
I still have my ks even after buying an oled and it still looks great.

Why 1233?
Because it bringed HLG.
And because it improved a lot dynamic contrast.
Why not 1240, i don’t really know but they might have broken somerhing in the update who knows.it happened before.
Terminader likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #36484 of 36722 Old 09-26-2019, 03:52 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:

So what do you guys think?

Please rate the following on picture quality and functionality (speed/bugs), and comment on specific issues (video game color separation)

Did i miss any?

I think this a novel idea but not practical since not everybody uses the same picture settings. What one might consider better may be perceived worse by someone else. Also keep in mind that once you've installed a new firmware version there is no way to go back to an earlier firmware version.
Unless you've measured and recorded the results of all earlier firmware version while using the same TV with the exact same (calibrated!) picture settings there is no objective way of comparing the new firmware version with an older one and determine which one is best. With 'best' i mean the most correct image as intended by the content provider (objective) and not what someone 'thinks' looks better (subjective).
post #36485 of 36722 Old 09-26-2019, 04:41 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Help please. I've been running this TV with a Samsung soundbar (the HW-K650) connecting them via the Wifi option. Of late I have found this a bit flakey so I've changed things around and connected the two via optical cable. Everything's sounding great, lip sync's much improved, I'm very happy apart from the fact that I can't find a way to get the TV remote to control the soundbar volume.

Naively I thought as they were both Samsung products (indeed they came as a bundle when I bought them) this would be easy to do and I know this works via HDMI-ARC but I can't get it to work with optical. I've tried all the obvious things - Anynet is on, the Auto Power Link is working. I've been through the Universal Remote settings and it's detected the soundbar OK and says that it should now appear in my list of audio sources under settings but it doesn't - all I get is TV speakers, Bluetooth and Audio Out.

As it stands I have to use the (very fiddly) soundbar remote to adjust the volume. Is there any way of syncing up the TV remote or is this just something that isn't going to work?

EDIT: interestingly it appears my Virgin Media cable box remote also adjusts the soundbar volume. So it clearly can be done. It's just the Samsung Smart Remote that doesn't want to do it.

EDIT 2: I can assign the smart remote to a particular HDMI socket in the Universal Remote panel, which makes it work for that input only. This is very bizarre. I can't get it to work across everything though.

Last edited by Garwoofoo; 09-26-2019 at 09:27 AM.
post #36486 of 36722 Old 09-26-2019, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaBEN View Post
I think this a novel idea but not practical since not everybody uses the same picture settings. What one might consider better may be perceived worse by someone else. Also keep in mind that once you've installed a new firmware version there is no way to go back to an earlier firmware version.
Unless you've measured and recorded the results of all earlier firmware version while using the same TV with the exact same (calibrated!) picture settings there is no objective way of comparing the new firmware version with an older one and determine which one is best. With 'best' i mean the most correct image as intended by the content provider (objective) and not what someone 'thinks' looks better (subjective).

True, but for app functionality, known bugs like video game color separation, and features like HLG that affect picture quality I would think there would be some level of objective truth.

Luckily I'm still on an old firmware, so I can pick and choose. I just need some info.
post #36487 of 36722 Old 09-26-2019, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
My ks8000 recently started flickering picture(https://m.imgur.com/gallery/IyFZLch), I called Samsung and they were willing to give me a one time fix, turns out the part is no longer made so they set up an exchange for the RU8000 after looking up the Tv I quickly realized it was a downgrade... so I called back the next day to see if I could get cash back of 500 dollars which was the other option. Samsung is not allowing me that option since the other tv has shipped. At this point my KS8000 is working again. I’d prefer to keep the Tv but I’m not sure if the flickering will come back. Any insight or opinions, seems like the RU8000 is a big downgrade.
post #36488 of 36722 Old 09-26-2019, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Picture of flickering
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	35286A84-724B-42A7-B38B-4D4F91215C53_1569527357159.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	2620262  
post #36489 of 36722 Old 09-26-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garwoofoo View Post
Help please. I've been running this TV with a Samsung soundbar (the HW-K650) connecting them via the Wifi option. Of late I have found this a bit flakey so I've changed things around and connected the two via optical cable. Everything's sounding great, lip sync's much improved, I'm very happy apart from the fact that I can't find a way to get the TV remote to control the soundbar volume.

Naively I thought as they were both Samsung products (indeed they came as a bundle when I bought them) this would be easy to do and I know this works via HDMI-ARC but I can't get it to work with optical. I've tried all the obvious things - Anynet is on, the Auto Power Link is working. I've been through the Universal Remote settings and it's detected the soundbar OK and says that it should now appear in my list of audio sources under settings but it doesn't - all I get is TV speakers, Bluetooth and Audio Out.

As it stands I have to use the (very fiddly) soundbar remote to adjust the volume. Is there any way of syncing up the TV remote or is this just something that isn't going to work?

EDIT: interestingly it appears my Virgin Media cable box remote also adjusts the soundbar volume. So it clearly can be done. It's just the Samsung Smart Remote that doesn't want to do it.

EDIT 2: I can assign the smart remote to a particular HDMI socket in the Universal Remote panel, which makes it work for that input only. This is very bizarre. I can't get it to work across everything though.
- Go to 'Source' on Smart HUB and choose the second icon from the left: 'Configure Universal Remote'.
- Now you have to search for your audio system by brand name and model.
- If you can't find your brand or specific model then randomly choose another brand/model and test if you can adjust the volume with the Universal Remote.
- Once you've found a option that will let you change the volume with the Universal Remote then add this audio system to your menu.
- Next step is to add all input devices you've got connected to the TV trough HDMI via the same method.
(Tip: You don't have to choose the actual input device that you're using. I've selected a blu ray player for all HDMI inputs to save time.)
- When done correctly you should have 1 icon for your audio system + the same amount of icons as input devices you've connected to the TV.
- Now choose one of these HDMI input devices and then you should see a option called something like 'Combine, Pair or Link' (i'm translating this from a Dutch menu), select that option.
- Choose your audio system and now the HDMI input name will change to a combination of your HDMI input device + audio system.
- Now you've configured your Universal Remote so that it can control the volume of your audio system with the selected HDMI input.
- Repeat these steps for the remaining HDMI inputs.
- Now the Universal Remote will work with all HDMI inputs + internal apps.
- Go back to Smart Hub and rename the HDMI inputs to your personal liking.

Last edited by ThaBEN; 09-27-2019 at 01:34 AM. Reason: spelling errors
post #36490 of 36722 Old 09-26-2019, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Anybody watch the first NFL game broadcast in 4k/HDR (hlg) on Thursday night FB? It was 1st announced on streaming Fubo, then Fox sports app was also streaming on apple 4k and roku 4k. Anyway, i used apple 4k...the 4k was nice, but could not get hdr to work (at least i could not verify it with info)...

Not sure if it is not possible because it is being streamed with hlg or what, Im thinking now that maybe only broadcasts hlg works on this tv? Any body have luck with getting hdr to work this? Would love to watch football with real hdr.

FYI this is apparently gonna be every Thursday night, if anyone wants to check it out next week, just dl fox sports app, and login with either cable/dtv or a streaming cable provider.
post #36491 of 36722 Old 09-27-2019, 06:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole812 View Post
Anybody watch the first NFL game broadcast in 4k/HDR (hlg) on Thursday night FB? It was 1st announced on streaming Fubo, then Fox sports app was also streaming on apple 4k and roku 4k. Anyway, i used apple 4k...the 4k was nice, but could not get hdr to work (at least i could not verify it with info)...

Not sure if it is not possible because it is being streamed with hlg or what, Im thinking now that maybe only broadcasts hlg works on this tv? Any body have luck with getting hdr to work this? Would love to watch football with real hdr.

FYI this is apparently gonna be every Thursday night, if anyone wants to check it out next week, just dl fox sports app, and login with either cable/dtv or a streaming cable provider.
I saw mention of it but was mostly surprised that Amazon Prime TV didn't have the 4K.
post #36492 of 36722 Old 09-27-2019, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 581
Quote:
True, but for app functionality, known bugs like video game color separation, and features like HLG that affect picture quality I would think there would be some level of objective truth.

Luckily I'm still on an old firmware, so I can pick and choose. I just need some info.
I have not seen any negative issues between 1233 and 1240 but it's always possible I missed something.

Enjoying 1240 but very happy in general since HLG was added on 1233.
Terminader likes this.

post #36493 of 36722 Old 09-27-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Ebby View Post
I have not seen any negative issues between 1233 and 1240 but it's always possible I missed something.

Enjoying 1240 but very happy in general since HLG was added on 1233.
I suffered from the color separation issues in game mode with 1240 and some others before that (but not all), can't remember exactly which ones. I've been playing games on my PS4 in game mode everyday since the 1241.5 firmware has been released and haven't encountered any color separation issues so far. Still need to test this on my Nintendo Switch since the color separation happend more frequently while playing on the Nintendo Switch and only sporadically on the PS4. But at the moment it looks to me that the color separation issue has been fixed with 1241.5.

Note:
I'm using the European version of this TV (Samsung UE55KS7000 which is the KS8000 in USA). Pure speculation on my part, but i had the impression that whenever i didn't have color separation issues with a certain firmware version some people overseas did have issues and the other way around. Maybe the issue has something to do with how game mode behaves in PAL/NTSC regions. That both regions need separate game mode configuration in the firmware and (at least until now) Samsung used the same settings for all regions resulting in one of the regions having more color separation issues at a certain firmware release.
Chuck Ebby likes this.

Last edited by ThaBEN; 09-28-2019 at 07:39 AM.
post #36494 of 36722 Old 09-27-2019, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaBEN View Post
- Go to 'Source' on Smart HUB and choose the second icon from the left: 'Configure Universal Remote'.
- Now you have to search for your audio system by brand name and model.
- If you can't find your brand or specific model then randomly choose another brand/model and test if you can adjust the volume with the Universal Remote.
- Once you've found a option that will let you change the volume with the Universal Remote then add this audio system to your menu.
- Next step is to add all input devices you've got connected to the TV trough HDMI via the same method.
(Tip: You don't have to choose the actual input device that you're using. I've selected a blu ray player for all HDMI inputs to save time.)
- When done correctly you should have 1 icon for your audio system + the same amount of icons as input devices you've connected to the TV.
- Now choose one of these HDMI input devices and then you should see a option called something like 'Combine, Pair or Link' (i'm translating this from a Dutch menu), select that option.
- Choose your audio system and now the HDMI input name will change to a combination of your HDMI input device + audio system.
- Now you've configured your Universal Remote so that it can control the volume of your audio system with the selected HDMI input.
- Repeat these steps for the remaining HDMI inputs.
- Now the Universal Remote will work with all HDMI inputs + internal apps.
- Go back to Smart Hub and rename the HDMI inputs to your personal liking.

You absolute star, I've just tried that out on one of the inputs and it works perfectly. I'll go through and add the rest tomorrow when I've got more time. I have no idea how you managed to work that out, I thought I'd tried everything and I couldn't find any info on the Internet anywhere. What a complicated procedure for something so simple but I'm so glad it works. Thank you.
post #36495 of 36722 Old 09-29-2019, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Having an issue with my set. I have this connected to my Onkyo AVR via HDMI. I have a gaming PC that is connected to the AVR via HDMI as well. When I use the KS8 as a monitor for the pc it will switch inputs after 20min or so as if it doesn't know it's getting a signal from pc via the AVR.

Very frustrating if you are in the middle of a game and all of sudden it goes to the tuner source of the tv. I don't have any timers set on the tv, ECO stuff is all turned off.

EDIT: Okay so weird thing happened, I disconnected my PS3 (doesn't show up in the KS source menu) now no issues at all. It will stay on the pc input.

Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 | Samsung 65" 4K KS8000 Series | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Player | Sony DVP-S7700 DVD Player | Onkyo TX-NR3030 Atmos Network Receiver | Energy Veritas 6.3 mains | Energy C-C1 center | Energy C-R100 surround sides and backs | (4) Energy Take Classic satellites heights | Velodyne VA 1215 XII Sub

Last edited by mobileES; 10-01-2019 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Problem went away
post #36496 of 36722 Old 09-29-2019, 07:18 PM

Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by camd5pt0 View Post
First off, I'm not versed on HLG, but I know it's a form of HDR. I noticed for the first time, through the TV YouTube app, it shows HLG.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Forgive me for being dumb but how are you seeing that window? Intelligent Mode? I have a KS8000 and never have I seen anything like this on my TV.

I was doing a search of this thread trying to figure out if I was getting HDR on the internal Youtube app. Can't get my TV to display what it is running on Youtube no matter what I try. Select Home and click on the Youtube app when it is running and no overlay will appear. Someone on this thread also suggested to hit "Info' but I can't find that option.

Last edited by vlad335; 09-29-2019 at 07:23 PM.
post #36497 of 36722 Old 09-29-2019, 07:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad335 View Post
Forgive me for being dumb but how are you seeing that window? Intelligent Mode? I have a KS8000 and never have I seen anything like this on my TV.

I was doing a search of this thread trying to figure out if I was getting HDR on the internal Youtube app. Can't get my TV to display what it is running on Youtube no matter what I try. Select Home and click on the Youtube app when it is running and no overlay will appear. Someone on this thread also suggested to hit "Info' but I can't find that option.
When in YouTube app, select the menu for now actions, and stats for nerds

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
vlad335 likes this.

Home theatre: 65" Sony X950G / LG UBKM9 / Sony UBD-X800 / Xbox One X Project Scorpio / PS4 Pro
Denon AVR-X4400H 7.1.4 config. / Plantronics Dolby Atmos RIG 600LX
Pioneer Andrew Jones L,R,C,SL,SR,SBL,SBR / (4) Polk Atrium 5 series TF,TR
SVS PB-2000 w/ SVS SoundPath Subwoofer Isolation System
post #36498 of 36722 Old 09-29-2019, 07:29 PM

Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by camd5pt0 View Post
When in YouTube app, select the menu for now actions, and stats for nerds

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

That's it! Thank you!
camd5pt0 likes this.
post #36499 of 36722 Old 09-30-2019, 05:08 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolbymandts View Post
then don't load an external HDD when you don't want to do it...or re elaborate exactly what the issue is
So problem description: Playback from the built-in player does not work when an external HDD is connected.
post #36500 of 36722 Old 09-30-2019, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi guys,

I'm having a bit of trouble with my KS8000, that I purchased used.

4k/HDR content is looking washed-out, but occasionally it will sort of "pop" in to colour. This is on streaming apps and discs too. At the moment, the colour of Blu-ray actually looks better, is this an issue anyone is aware of/knows how to fix it?
post #36501 of 36722 Old 09-30-2019, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by riki68 View Post
So problem description: Playback from the built-in player does not work when an external HDD is connected.

What disk size and disk format ?

I use Plex and DLNA to playback movies and it works just fine.
post #36502 of 36722 Old 09-30-2019, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1203 Post(s)
Liked: 1283
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolbymandts View Post
What disk size and disk format ?

I use Plex and DLNA to playback movies and it works just fine.
It also works from a USB thumb drive. But the TV's internal player is VERY basic and may not be able to cope with the larger "dimensions" of an HDD. There also may be insufficient current from the TV's USB ports to properly run an external HDD.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931

Last edited by Rolls-Royce; 09-30-2019 at 11:27 AM.
post #36503 of 36722 Old 09-30-2019, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvtimes1234 View Post
Hi guys,

4k/HDR content is looking washed-out, but occasionally it will sort of "pop" in to colour. This is on streaming apps and discs too. At the moment, the colour of Blu-ray actually looks better, is this an issue anyone is aware of/knows how to fix it?

Hopefully your HDR + is turned on and that is the cause of your problem. Just go into special viewing mode and turn it off.

Did you get to see the tv turned on and working, before you purchased it?
post #36504 of 36722 Old 10-01-2019, 02:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvtimes1234 View Post
Hi guys,

The first post in this thread has a very useful attachment on getting the best from this TV. Download and give it a read to ensure everything is set up as it should.
Terminader likes this.

Samsung UE55KS8000 | Pioneer SC-LX701 | Dune HD Pro 4K | Zidoo Z9S | Apple TV 4K | Nvidia Shield TV (2019) | Fire TV Stick 4K | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Player
post #36505 of 36722 Old 10-01-2019, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Is anyone blocking Google DNS on the network and getting Netflix to work? For some reason after I blocked 8.8.8.8 Netflix stopped working, with unable to play this title at the moment :/

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
post #36506 of 36722 Old 10-02-2019, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 17
New firmware available at Samsung's website - 1241.5.
Chuck Ebby likes this.
post #36507 of 36722 Old 10-02-2019, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The menu is now much faster. It seems they removed animations in the menu.
post #36508 of 36722 Old 10-02-2019, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 898 Post(s)
Liked: 1651
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterX View Post
New firmware available at Samsung's website - 1241.5.
Love that they continue to support this awesome TV model!!!
post #36509 of 36722 Old 10-02-2019, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminader View Post
Love that they continue to support this awesome TV model!!!
I agree but WTF was the update for? We will never know
Terminader likes this.

Samsung UE55KS8000 | Pioneer SC-LX701 | Dune HD Pro 4K | Zidoo Z9S | Apple TV 4K | Nvidia Shield TV (2019) | Fire TV Stick 4K | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Player
post #36510 of 36722 Old 10-02-2019, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 898 Post(s)
Liked: 1651
Quote:
Originally Posted by blenky View Post
I agree but WTF was the update for? We will never know
Agreed. Since they do have a decent track record of not breaking things while rolling out changes that for some reason they feel are needed, I am all for it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
denon s740h , extra , hdmi input , KS8000/KS8500 , no picture , one connect fail , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page