Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 122 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 180067Likes

post #3631 of 36874 Old 07-24-2016, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richard View Post
See also this Wikipedia article:

Chroma Subsampling

Richard
Thanks I understand this perfectly now! Basically the blu-rays, dvds, etc. are encoded with a pretty "crappy" loss of color information and you add the mpeg compression to that equation of loss of information. I guess this is to save space + maybe the TVs can't all process 4:4:4 information fast enough to display them (especially older tvs) ?

Now that this is clear what are RGB and YCbCr? From what I read it's ways to represent colors or the "appearance of a pixel to the human eye"? They are "color spaces"?

RGB has simple red green and blue components in the encoding and you add one on top of another so a 100% of each of the three colors is white and 0% of each is black?

YCbCr seems to be Y for luminance (brightness) and two color (chroma) components.

My questions are:
Am I right to assume that all this 4:2:0, 4:2:2, 4:4:4 stuff is only applicable when you output using the YCbCr color space with your device (Nvidia Shield for example) and NOT applicable when you output using RGB?

Does that mean RGB can't be "compressed" like YCbCr can with 4:2:0, 4:2:2 ?

On the shield, I can only choose between FULL or LIMITED range if I am in RGB mode? Is that a notion that ONLY applies to RGB?

On the shield, I can choose RGB or YCbCr 4:4:4 as the output format. Which one is better for the UHD TVs like the Samsung KS8000/9000? When I switch between the two on my pc monitor I see absolutely no difference at first glance on the menu colors of the shield (just some grey and white text) (monitor is simple 8bit 1080p). Is there more conversion on the Shield versus the TV depending if I use RGB or YCbCr? I know video seems to be encoded in YCbCr format.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3632 of 36874 Old 07-24-2016, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 2686 Post(s)
Liked: 5481
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richard View Post
All video discs, including Blu-rays, DVDs and Video CDs, are encoded as YCbCr which has a native "limited" color range of 16-235 (for 8-bit sources). Most HDMI devices (Blu-ray players, Satellite receivers, Cable boxes) will output a YCrCb signal. It is best to set these source components (e.g. UHD Blu-ray Player) to output YCbCr not RGB.

Spoiler!

For more about this setting and others, see my "Picture Settings Guide"

Richard
@King Richard , just to add to your very educational reply to @vickthur , regarding the UBD-K8500's HDMI Color Format, here is my 2 cents worth.

Since the entire Samsung UHD TV lineup supports it, YCbCr(4:4:4) would be the logical choice.

UBD-K8500 HDMI Color Format

When you select the HDMI Color Format under the K8500's Picture settings you are offered the following four choices to set the color format for HDMI output depending on a connected device.

Auto

Automatically set the optimum format that a connected display device supports.

YCbCr(4:4:4)

Recommended when connected to a display that supports YCbCr(4:4:4).

RGB (Standard)

Recommended when connecting to a display that does not support the YCbCr format. This will output a normal range of RGB color.

RGB(Enhanced)

Select this to output an enhanced range of RGB color. Not recommended for general use because it will increase contrast between black and white.

So, in a nutshell all UHD TV's that I am aware of support YCBCr(4:4:4) and should be addressed in your TV's Owner Manual but if you are unsure you might want to set it to Auto.

The reason none of my friends on here recommend setting it to RGB is because then the signal would have to be converted from YCbCr to RGB and then back to YCbCr at the TV.

Further to that, an incorrect RGB setting can cause picture quality issues such as "washed out" blacks (i.e. grey) or "black crush" where you lose shadow detail.
Creator44 and jeep05 like this.

Samsung UN78HU9000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UN40HU7000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-ray Player; Apple TV 4K
Arris VIP5662W UHD Whole Home DVR; Chromecast Ultra
Marantz SR7005 Receiver; Magnepan Speakers; Martin Logan Subwoofer
post #3633 of 36874 Old 07-24-2016, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
@King Richard , just to add to your very educational reply to @vickthur , regarding the UBD-K8500's HDMI Color Format, here is my 2 cents worth.

Since the entire Samsung UHD TV lineup supports it, YCbCr(4:4:4) would be the logical choice.

UBD-K8500 HDMI Color Format

When you select the HDMI Color Format under the K8500's Picture settings you are offered the following four choices to set the color format for HDMI output depending on a connected device.

Auto

Automatically set the optimum format that a connected display device supports.

YCbCr(4:4:4)

Recommended when connected to a display that supports YCbCr(4:4:4).

RGB (Standard)

Recommended when connecting to a display that does not support the YCbCr format. This will output a normal range of RGB color.

RGB(Enhanced)

Select this to output an enhanced range of RGB color. Not recommended for general use because it will increase contrast between black and white.

So, in a nutshell all UHD TV's that I am aware of support YCBCr(4:4:4) and should be addressed in your TV's Owner Manual but if you are unsure you might want to set it to Auto.

The reason none of my friends on here recommend setting it to RGB is because then the signal would have to be converted from YCbCr to RGB and then back to YCbCr at the TV.

Further to that, an incorrect RGB setting can cause picture quality issues such as "washed out" blacks (i.e. grey) or "black crush" where you lose shadow detail.
Hi, you read my mind with your response (see my post above)

When you say none of your friends recommend setting IT to RGB you mean the player bit "IT" right? Like for example the Nvidia SHIELD?

If you set the TV to RGB and the SHIELD to RGB, does it work like that:

TV RGB, SHIELD RGB:
blu-ray source YCbCr -> conversion by SHIELD YCbCr to RGB -> RGB Output from SHIELD -> Displayed directly by TV since it's in RGB mode.

TV YCbCr 4:4:4, SHIELD RGB:
blu-ray source YCbCr -> conversion by SHIELD YCbCr to RGB -> RGB Output from SHIELD -> conversion by TV RGB to YCbCr -> Displayed by TV

TV YCbCr 4:4:4, SHIELD YCbCr 4:4:4:
blu-ray source YCbCr -> YCbCr output from SHIELD -> Displayed by TV

If so since the blu-rays are encoded in 4:2:0 what happens when you output to 4:4:4? Does the SHIELD try to "regain" color information using a formula or does it simply send the 4:2:0 information with a 4:4:4 tag and the TV "thinks" there is full color information wheres in reality it's a 4:2:0 stream?

For displays like my old PC monitor, is it true to guess that it probably only supports RGB and thus when I send it YCbCr 4:4:4 the monitor internally converts that to RGB before displaying it? So then it's a matter of if I want the SHIELD or the monitor to do the conversion?

Is the conversion between RGB and YCbCr lossless?

Last edited by Creator44; 07-24-2016 at 10:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3634 of 36874 Old 07-24-2016, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2speed125 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by layzzzee8 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcladtrash View Post
I keep getting ads in my menu as sponsored apps. It's kinda ticking me off considering the TV cost. Any way to shut it off? I couldn't find anything digging through all the settings.
Go to Support, terms and policy, interest based advertisement, check off disable synchs and interactive marketing services.
If you do a smart hub reset, it will ask you again to accept the terms to the ads. It doesn't reset any tv settings except for sign ins for the apps which are in the smart hub.
Welcome, make sure to check out the first page for FAQ and the search function in the upper right hand corner of the thread pages. I used the key word ad to get layzzzee8 and n2speed125 solutions to this problem. I'm still setting things up and hope I remember to shut this off when getting the tv up and running. Anyway, hope this helped.
King Richard likes this.

Official Samsung KS8000/8500 Owners Information PDF
Living Room: LG 55LE5500 Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360 w/Kinect
Bedroom: VIZIO E470VL VIZIO VSB200 Sound Bar Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360
Inner Sanctum: Samsung 65KS8000, Halo XBox One, GoW Xbox 360, Onkyo HT-S5300
post #3635 of 36874 Old 07-24-2016, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creator44 View Post
Hi, you read my mind with your response (see my post above)

When you say none of your friends recommend setting IT to RGB you mean the player bit "IT" right? Like for example the Nvidia SHIELD?

If you set the TV to RGB and the SHIELD to RGB, does it work like that:

TV RGB, SHIELD RGB:
blu-ray source YCbCr -> conversion by SHIELD YCbCr to RGB -> RGB Output from SHIELD -> Displayed directly by TV since it's in RGB mode.

TV YCbCr 4:4:4, SHIELD RGB:
blu-ray source YCbCr -> conversion by SHIELD YCbCr to RGB -> RGB Output from SHIELD -> conversion by TV RGB to YCbCr -> Displayed by TV

TV YCbCr 4:4:4, SHIELD YCbCr 4:4:4:
blu-ray source YCbCr -> YCbCr output from SHIELD -> Displayed by TV

If so since the blu-rays are encoded in 4:2:0 what happens when you output to 4:4:4? Does the SHIELD try to "regain" color information using a formula or does it simply send the 4:2:0 information with a 4:4:4 tag and the TV "thinks" there is full color information wheres in reality it's a 4:2:0 stream?

Also, is the conversion between RGB and YCbCr lossless?
Sorry but not into doing techy tutorials like my friend @King Richard . I haven't even been knighted yet!

My main point was discussing the settings on the UBD-K8500 which I happen to own.

When I said "it" I was referring specifically to the UBD-K8500 HDMI Color Format setting but this would apply to any device such as your NVidea Shield. If it has a setting for YCbCr then use that otherwise if you choose to use RGB you will first need to know what type of RGB your device is outputting (Standard versus Enhanced) and also need to ensure that your TV's HDMI Black Level is set correctly to avoid the double conversion and the issues he and I discussed.

Way easier to just select YCbCr on all devices since this is the native format used by your Samsung TV but if you really want to make me twitch, here are the correct settings for the TV if you choose to use RGB or if that is the only option the device provides:

Why is the HDMI Black Level setting greyed out?

The HDMI Black Level setting is only applicable to RGB input otherwise it will be greyed out. The 'Low' setting is for video level RGB [16-235] which would generally be used for video components. The 'Normal' setting is for PC level RGB [0-255].

If you select the wrong setting, you will have either "washed out" blacks (i.e. grey) or "black crush" where you lose shadow detail.

Where a device supports it, strongly recommend using YCbCr to avoid having to use this setting since the RGB will have to be converted back to YCbCr to match the TV's color format.

Just to point you in the right direction on your quest to obtain your degree in Audio Visual Science I have bolded a couple of points in your post.

• You can't set the TV to RGB as it is YCbCr
  • TV YCbCr 4:4:4, SHIELD YCbCr 4:4:4 would be the optimal settings
  • I have never heard the term "lossless" to describe video. This is a term used to differentiate uncompressed audio from compressed "lossy" audio
With all that being said if you are outputting your NVidea Shield to a computer monitor you would want to read the manual for it. If the monitor has HDMI inputs it may be YCbCr or it may be RGB.

Where manufacturers choose to output a 4:2:0 to a device as 4:4:4 it will be converted using a proprietary algorithm inside that particular device (e.g. UHD Player; NVidea Shield).

Over to you King!
Creator44 and PeninsulaMark like this.

Last edited by Musician; 07-24-2016 at 12:31 PM.
post #3636 of 36874 Old 07-24-2016, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

OK, getting ready to get things hooked up and wondering if I should hook up the HDMI's to the One Connect or through my Onkyo HT-S5300 receiver and then run a optical cable from the receiver to the OC? Anyone have any thoughts while I'll get the speaker wires worked out?

post #3637 of 36874 Old 07-24-2016, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Donster View Post
OK, getting ready to get things hooked up and wondering if I should hook up the HDMI's to the One Connect or through my Onkyo HT-S5300 receiver and then run a optical cable from the receiver to the OC? Anyone have any thoughts while I'll get the speaker wires worked out?
A question that comes up often on all threads related to the Samsung TV Lineup. The choice is yours but here is the route I have chosen and if the TV had more inputs all of my devices would be hooked up to it!

You'll see I have even taken advantage of the Coax connector for my Security Cameras!

Note: I have choosen to use ARC but unless you are well versed in your A/V Receiver and setting up the TV correctly, I would suggest going with the Optical Cable between the One Connect Box and your AVR.

Advantages to Hooking Up Devices Directly to the One Connect Box

Graphical interface & Universal Remote

For owners of Samsung Smart TVs the main advantage is that it allows you to use the graphical interface on the TV in conjunction with the Samsung TV's Universal Remote to control devices hooked up directly to the One Connect Box (OCB).

In my case I have my Security Cameras (TV coax), Shaw Cable Box, Blu-Ray Player (Video), Apple TV and Receiver plugged into my OCB as per the Attached Thumbnail of my Wiring Diagram.

Once everything is programmed into the Universal Remote Settings then all the devices hooked up to the OCB can be controlled with the Samsung remote as follows:

Pressing the SOURCE button will bring up a row of icons allowing you to choose the given device as shown below.

Once you have selected a device, a press of the MENU/123 button provides a different group of buttons displayed on the top row depending on what functions apply to that particular device based on the brand and model number you input when setting up the Universal Remote as shown above.

In my case when I choose the SOURCE that my K8500's UHD bLu-ray Player's video HDMI cable is plugged into and then press the MENU/123 button on the TV's remote it will provide a bunch of options specific to the device including Power, Disc Menu, Sub Titles, Popup, Home and Eject along with all the transport controls which you can see in the example above.

Likewise, when I select my Set Top Box and press the MENU/123 button on the TV's remote it will provide a different set of options specific to that device such as Power, Menu, Guide, DVR, and On-Demand.

Note, that even if you go this route you can still use the remote(s) that came with your devices so you can keep other members of the family happy knowing that they can still use the backlit remote that came with the Cable Box to control the TV.

Different Picture Settings

A major advantage why some Samsung TV owners took the approach of running some (or all) of their devices through the TV is this allow us to maintain different Picture Settings for each input.

For example, the recommended setting for viewing HDR material is setting the Color Space to Native, turning HDMI UHD Color On in the TV settings and many of us prefer to increase the Gamma setting by 2 clicks and set Smart LED to High.

In addition seperate settings can be established while viewing content from the Smart Hub apps and connected USB devices as well as seperate settings for those of us who have set up a DLNA Network for sharing files from their Computers.

If this is something Samsung TV owners want to explore, make sure that under Menu/123 >> Picture >> Apply Picture Mode you set it to Current Source instead of All Sources.

HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2

Another advantage is in the case where folks like me don't have a Receiver that provides HDMI 2.0 HDCP 2.2 4K passthrough which may be required by one or more of their devices now or in the future.

Not for everyone but I sure like it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	479
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	1563097  

Last edited by Musician; 07-24-2016 at 12:35 PM.
post #3638 of 36874 Old 07-24-2016, 12:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2speed125 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by layzzzee8 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcladtrash View Post
I keep getting ads in my menu as sponsored apps. It's kinda ticking me off considering the TV cost. Any way to shut it off? I couldn't find anything digging through all the settings.
Go to Support, terms and policy, interest based advertisement, check off disable synchs and interactive marketing services.
If you do a smart hub reset, it will ask you again to accept the terms to the ads. It doesn't reset any tv settings except for sign ins for the apps which are in the smart hub.
Welcome, make sure to check out the first page for FAQ and the search function in the upper right hand corner of the thread pages. I used the key word ad to get layzzzee8 and n2speed125 solutions to this problem. I'm still setting things up and hope I remember to shut this off when getting the tv up and running. Anyway, hope this helped.
Thanks my internal search comprehension feature seems to be broke today. The odd thing is I already had that checked off for disabled. I also dont get the app adds all the time. There doesn't appear to be a pattern for when they show up. Was hoping there mighy be another hidden setting somewhere before I go complain to Samsung.
post #3639 of 36874 Old 07-24-2016, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hey, just took a look at this tv today and the LG 55" OLED tv. I like the picture quality of the OLED, Price difference is LG $2497. or the samsung for $2599 and comes with a $600 free BBQ that i could sell and make money back. These are in canadian dollars btw. I really wanted a 60" or bigger but to get a good picture quality it gets out of my price range. How well are these sets holding up with issues?
post #3640 of 36874 Old 07-24-2016, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Sorry but not into doing techy tutorials like my friend @King Richard . I haven't even been knighted yet!

My main point was discussing the settings on the UBD-K8500 which I happen to own.

When I said "it" I was referring specifically to the UBD-K8500 HDMI Color Format setting but this would apply to any device such as your NVidea Shield. If it has a setting for YCbCr then use that otherwise if you choose to use RGB you will first need to know what type of RGB your device is outputting (Standard versus Enhanced) and also need to ensure that your TV's HDMI Black Level is set correctly to avoid the double conversion and the issues he and I discussed.

Way easier to just select YCbCr on all devices since this is the native format used by your Samsung TV but if you really want to make me twitch, here are the correct settings for the TV if you choose to use RGB or if that is the only option the device provides:

Why is the HDMI Black Level setting greyed out?

The HDMI Black Level setting is only applicable to RGB input otherwise it will be greyed out. The 'Low' setting is for video level RGB [16-235] which would generally be used for video components. The 'Normal' setting is for PC level RGB [0-255].

If you select the wrong setting, you will have either "washed out" blacks (i.e. grey) or "black crush" where you lose shadow detail.

Where a device supports it, strongly recommend using YCbCr to avoid having to use this setting since the RGB will have to be converted back to YCbCr to match the TV's color format.

Just to point you in the right direction on your quest to obtain your degree in Audio Visual Science I have bolded a couple of points in your post.

• You can't set the TV to RGB as it is YCbCr
  • TV YCbCr 4:4:4, SHIELD YCbCr 4:4:4 would be the optimal settings
  • I have never heard the term "lossless" to describe video. This is a term used to differentiate uncompressed audio from compressed "lossy" audio
With all that being said if you are outputting your NVidea Shield to a computer monitor you would want to read the manual for it. If the monitor has HDMI inputs it may be YCbCr or it may be RGB.

Where manufacturers choose to output a 4:2:0 to a device as 4:4:4 it will be converted using a proprietary algorithm inside that particular device (e.g. UHD Player; NVidea Shield).

Over to you King!
Ok first of all I thought that K8500 was a TV and not the UHD Samsung Blu-ray player so that explains why I was speaking of RGB on a "TV". Sorry about that.

I meant "lossless" as no degradation to the image AT ALL during the conversion. There are "lossless" video formats out there but it takes way too much space to store them like that.

Is "Standard" and "Extended" the same thing as "Limited" and "Full" or are these two different things?

So basically:

- All TVs (not pc monitors) are YCbCr in their NATIVE processing so anything else sent to them thru HDMI is getting converted by the TV at the HDMI PORT LEVEL (chip)?

- Blu-rays are converted from 4:2:0 to 4:4:4 by playback device if device is set to YCbCr 4:4:4 output

- Full or Limited are an RGB only notion. No need to hassle with it when using YCbCr.

- If using RGB, you must match the Full versus Limited on both the playback device and the TV or else colors will be too dark or washed out (something I already knew).
post #3641 of 36874 Old 07-24-2016, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creator44 View Post
Ok first of all I thought that K8500 was a TV and not the UHD Samsung Blu-ray player so that explains why I was speaking of RGB on a "TV". Sorry about that.

I meant "lossless" as no degradation to the image AT ALL during the conversion. There are "lossless" video formats out there but it takes way too much space to store them like that.

Is "Standard" and "Extended" the same thing as "Limited" and "Full" or are these two different things?

So basically:

- All TVs (not pc monitors) are YCbCr in their NATIVE processing so anything else sent to them thru HDMI is getting converted by the TV at the HDMI PORT LEVEL (chip)?

- Blu-rays are converted from 4:2:0 to 4:4:4 by playback device if device is set to YCbCr 4:4:4 output

- Full or Limited are an RGB only notion. No need to hassle with it when using YCbCr.

- If using RGB, you must match the Full versus Limited on both the playback device and the TV or else colors will be too dark or washed out (something I already knew).
More or less.

post #3642 of 36874 Old 07-24-2016, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Anyone know how to shut off the auto switching from one hdmi to another hdmi source. Running into an issue where I'll be watching something on my Nvidia Shield and it switches to my STB which is off. Kind of annoying!
post #3643 of 36874 Old 07-24-2016, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
A question that comes up often on all threads related to the Samsung TV Lineup. The choice is yours but here is the route I have chosen and if the TV had more inputs all of my devices would be hooked up to it!

Spoiler!

Another advantage is in the case where folks like me don't have a Receiver that provides HDMI 2.0 HDCP 2.2 4K passthrough which may be required by one or more of their devices now or in the future.

Not for everyone but I sure like it!
I definitely think you have something with what you said above about the HDMI compatibility, but that might be something to worry about later. My set up is the last one in my signature. The big thing is I don't want to over complicate things. I'm only setting up my front and center for the time being. I need to get a rug and some speaker stands before I hook up the rest of the surround speakers that came with the Onkyo. I'll be using my One for gaming and BD viewings. I'm not sure how much I'll be using the 360 since quite a few games are now backwards compatible. Thank you, I appreciate your feedback.
Musician likes this.

post #3644 of 36874 Old 07-24-2016, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Hello, first time posting. I recently opted out of the 55" P series and took advantage of the Samsung 55KS8000 bbq promotion. Along with the free bbq, Best Buy also threw in a Sanus full motion wall mount for $70 as well as free installation and a free calibration with Geek Squad, all for less than $2700. Its a great deal as long as I received a great panel. I've read and kept up with this thread from the beginning but with so much confussing tech info to retain, I was hoping someone could guide me with easy to follow links, instructions and tv settings to best test my panel, for light bleed, clouding/flash lightening, banding etc. What ever tests are most important, to make sure I recieved a solid panel. Any help to accomplish this, would be greatly appreciated. I should also mention, that my tv is currently set up with the same recommended settings from rtings. Thanks
post #3645 of 36874 Old 07-24-2016, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Question Help making the 800D picture as good as the HU8550

Someone please help me adjust the KS8000/800D picture so it looks as good as the HU8550 sitting nearby.

Got them fairly close, but the 800D whites are not as white or blue-white as the HU8550.

How to make the 800D whites whiter. They are now slightly grey-yellow.
post #3646 of 36874 Old 07-24-2016, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeninsulaMark View Post
Someone please help me adjust the KS8000/800D picture so it looks as good as the HU8550 sitting nearby.

Got them fairly close, but the 800D whites are not as white or blue-white as the HU8550.

Follow-up. I did the following and it is 50% better, but the white on the 800D is still not as white as the HU8550:

1. Adjusted the tilt of each set

2. Raised the blue gain on the 800D to 20

The 800D is far more sensitive to off center viewing than the HU8550.
post #3647 of 36874 Old 07-24-2016, 08:51 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Quote:

Hi PeninsulaMark,

May of us on this forum have already given our 2 cents on helping you calibrate your TV. Hopefully you have tried all of them, and it's great that you have made progress over the past few weeks on getting it closer to what you want. However, I think I can speak for several of us here when we say that we probably can't help you anymore.

First, it's inherently difficult for us to help because most of us aren't faced with the same problem, i.e. thinking the KS8000 doesn't look as good as a 2 year old TV. We're generally happy with our white balance.

Second, we really can't say what the problem is unless we are actually seeing the TVs with our own eyes, and that is obviously not very feasible. We can only guess at what you should change, and we have guessed many times already. The lack of response is our way of saying that we are out of guesses.

Third, a lot of your statements are subjective, e.g. "whites are not as white or blue-white as the HU8550". We all have different preferences on what a proper "white" is. That's why there are so many different standards for white temperature. That is why the TV has different Color Tone options. My favorite "white" may not look as good as your favorite "white". If you have already played with your Color Tone settings, and "Cool" isn't blue enough for you, then there really isn't much you can do aside from playing with the White Balance settings and severely boosting Blue manually. But again, we can't see your TV and we don't know what your preferences are, so we can't give you the numbers to use.

If you have played with settings as much as you claim you have, then you should already be familiar with all of the settings and what they do to your picture. If so, then you are in a better position to calibrate your TV than we are. If not, I would recommend... getting familiar with all of the settings and what they do to your picture.

The calibration is in your hands. Good luck.
post #3648 of 36874 Old 07-24-2016, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbfreek View Post

The calibration is in your hands. Good luck.

Thanks for your opinion, but either by posts, links, or private messages I've always received good assistance in these forums. So let's just wait for others to reply indicating which variables in the menu options might result in further improvement.
post #3649 of 36874 Old 07-24-2016, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiuey View Post
Ok so I cant find an answer/fix to why the samsung tv automatically changes the input on my receiver by itself. I know the Anynet is what causes it but I needed it for ARC. However, I have now decided to disable all that Anynet CEC ARC crap and just use a digital optical from the tv to AV4 on my Yamaha rx-v575 receiver. But now I get this weird problem where when I change it to AV4 on the yamaha, the display switches between PCM and Decoder Off rapidly and makes a popping sound. Again, I have an optical cable from the AV4 on the Yamaha to the optical out on the oneconnect. However, If i play something on netflix, youtube, etc, it will change to the right decoder and the popping stops. If I exit and go back to the hub menu, it continues to pop for a while, but sometimes it will stop popping randomly and just stay on PCM. Very strange but I uploaded a video for you guys to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZGB9xdU9L4
I have the exact same issue using a Yamaha RX-V379BL though I'm still wired for ARC.
post #3650 of 36874 Old 07-24-2016, 10:35 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokaly View Post
Hey all; looking at the 55" KS8000 - have 2 questions. First off, the 55" is a VA panel correct? Its the 60" in this line thats an IPS?

2nd question - I have a Vizio soundbar measuring 3" tall. Will it block the bottom of the screen? Can someone please post a closeup of the TV with 3" measured from their table/stand so I can see where the soundbar will meet the TV bezel (or screen, in which case I got a problem....)

Here you go. As you can see, your soundbar will not fit under the TV, but if it is indeed 3" it won't cover any pixels if you put it in front of the TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3651 of 36874 Old 07-24-2016, 10:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for your opinion, but either by posts, links, or private messages I've always received good assistance in these forums. So let's just wait for others to reply indicating which variables in the menu options might result in further improvement.
Just because you ask the same question over and over again doesn't mean it won't have the same results. Most of the owners have given you helpful suggestions and you still aren't satisfied. So outside of recommending you take it back, get another or something else I don't know what more the other members can do for you? Fingers crossed I don't run into the same issues once I set up my 65" FA01 flatscreen.

post #3652 of 36874 Old 07-24-2016, 10:58 PM
Advanced Member

Red face

Quote:
Fingers crossed I don't run into the same issues once I set up my 65" FA01 flatscreen.

You will run into the same issue as I've tested three FA01 sets. When you do have a problem, we'll be here to help you no matter how many times you ask.
post #3653 of 36874 Old 07-24-2016, 11:04 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 17
did we ever figure out why amazon took HDR off the smart hub?
post #3654 of 36874 Old 07-24-2016, 11:10 PM
Advanced Member

Red face

Quote:
I don't know what more the other members can do for you? Fingers crossed I don't run into the same issues once I set up my 65" FA01 flatscreen.

A member suggested checking "HDMI color", since the signal is going through HDMI, and increasing the BL Indeed HDMI was set to OFF for that port. Turned it ON. Now the whites are good. Thank you x 1000.
The_Donster likes this.

Last edited by PeninsulaMark; 07-24-2016 at 11:19 PM.
post #3655 of 36874 Old 07-24-2016, 11:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Quoted: 12860 Post(s)
Liked: 12220
Quote:
Originally Posted by modthispny View Post

My amazon hdr works just fine through smart hub on my ks9800. We're running the same firmware.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160725_011212.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	1563961  
post #3656 of 36874 Old 07-25-2016, 01:35 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenaciousdave View Post
I have the exact same issue using a Yamaha RX-V379BL though I'm still wired for ARC.
Since you're wired for ARC, that means your Anynet CEC is turned on correct? And if it's turned on, does your receiver automatically change to the wrong input just one time after like 10 seconds of turning everything on for the first time?
post #3657 of 36874 Old 07-25-2016, 02:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked: 916
Quote:

This link may help

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...4eUGeWlPQlC2hu

(Sorry couldn't resist!)
post #3658 of 36874 Old 07-25-2016, 05:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:

What you are doing is like having a white Audi and a white BMW both sitting in your driveway and you sit on the same chair everyday in your driveway saying "hmmm I wonder which one is whiter"?

Sell this "off white" 8000 on craigs list. . . Move back to the HU8550 forum . . . you know deep in your heart of hearts you should have never bought this 8000 anyway. . . the HU8550 forum is calling your name and you know you really want to be there anyway!

The only question out there now is how many likes can i get . . . hahaha

UNK65KS8500 (curved model)
HW-K950 Samsung Atmos soundbar-with rears
HW-J8500 Samsung Soundbar (sold 10-24-16)
Sanus universal soundbar speaker mount SA405B1
Samsung 4K Ultra HD Bluray player UBDK8500
Harmony 650 remote ($43 amazon)
post #3659 of 36874 Old 07-25-2016, 05:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbfreek View Post
Here you go. As you can see, your soundbar will not fit under the TV, but if it is indeed 3" it won't cover any pixels if you put it in front of the TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Or if the aesthetics bother you just buy a piece of wood or two wood strips like at lowes, stain it the color of your furniture its going to sit on and depending on the height of the wood you buy that will give you the clearance that you are looking for.
If you went that route I would also drill 4 holes like 1/4-1/2 inch deep before staining, so the tv's legs dont slide off.

Many people just have their soundbars just sitting in front of their tv's without fitting under it though. You will have to see how it looks to you first.

UNK65KS8500 (curved model)
HW-K950 Samsung Atmos soundbar-with rears
HW-J8500 Samsung Soundbar (sold 10-24-16)
Sanus universal soundbar speaker mount SA405B1
Samsung 4K Ultra HD Bluray player UBDK8500
Harmony 650 remote ($43 amazon)
post #3660 of 36874 Old 07-25-2016, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by modthispny View Post
You are very mistaken. Amazon HDR works fine on the KS8000/KS8500
patrickpiteo likes this.

Samsung UN65KS8000F
Pioneer BDP-51FD
Yamaha Aventage RX-A2050
Xfinity X1
Playstation 4 Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
denon s740h , extra , hdmi input , KS8000/KS8500 , no picture , one connect fail , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page