Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 1225 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 180208Likes

post #36721 of 37006 Old 12-06-2019, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
The real difference between selecting PCM and bitstream in a source is that with PCM, the source decodes the signal and with bitstream, the receiver does the decoding. One other thing, with PCM, the source generally must have independent multichannel analog outputs or you're limited to 5.1 due to bandwidth. One saw these outputs (and still might) on the TOTL Panasonic disc players and perhaps other brands as well. Since you're after ATMOS, bitstream will be your only real choice, as none of those players had more than 7.1 analog outs.
I appreciate you helping me understand a little more. Right now, I have everything going through my Sony DH790, including the KS8000. But on the 4K fire stick (newest one), I'm not getting any option for Atmos in the sound settings of both Prime and Netflix. I just see DD+. I've checked my receiver connections and setup for Atmos. I have a Roku Ultra and 4K player coming next week. Right now, I only have the fire stick to test. Any ideas as to why I am not seeing the Atmos message on the receiver. I made sure what I was watching has Atmos according to those streamers.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #36722 of 37006 Old 12-06-2019, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1371 Post(s)
Liked: 1451
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooch49 View Post
I appreciate you helping me understand a little more. Right now, I have everything going through my Sony DH790, including the KS8000. But on the 4K fire stick (newest one), I'm not getting any option for Atmos in the sound settings of both Prime and Netflix. I just see DD+. I've checked my receiver connections and setup for Atmos. I have a Roku Ultra and 4K player coming next week. Right now, I only have the fire stick to test. Any ideas as to why I am not seeing the Atmos message on the receiver. I made sure what I was watching has Atmos according to those streamers.

PM me so we don't tie up this thread with off-topic stuff.
joe75xp likes this.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #36723 of 37006 Old 12-07-2019, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey guys please help me. I want to upgrade my 65"Ks8000 to a Samsung 75" q950r 8k in america is Q900RB. Can you please tell me if it's worth it or not?I've done my research but I still don't know if it worth it. Will I be blown away like woth the ks8000 or will I have a buyers remorse. It's a lot of money. I don't know what to do. Please help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #36724 of 37006 Old 12-07-2019, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Fire Stick 4K supports only a small selection of Atmos content on Amazon Prime Video. For example, Jack Ryan, Suspiria, and perhaps a few others. Make sure you select the 4K UHD versions of said content, as it can be confusing on Prime. It's delivered via DD+ but it does indeed show Atmos on your AVR should you have the proper setup.

By contrast, Netflix's modern content seems to have Atmos almost as a rule. It's impressive. But everything streaming is going to be via DD+ and not TrueHD.
post #36725 of 37006 Old 12-07-2019, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooony89 View Post
Hey guys please help me. I want to upgrade my 65"Ks8000 to a Samsung 75" q950r 8k in america is Q900RB. Can you please tell me if it's worth it or not?I've done my research but I still don't know if it worth it. Will I be blown away like woth the ks8000 or will I have a buyers remorse. It's a lot of money. I don't know what to do. Please help
I don't think you will be blown away (verses price). What true 8k content is out there to view(at this time)? You won't be able to go out and buy an 8k copy of the Joker in January. Streaming...the compression on 4k can be bad at times and would you even have the internet speed to support an 8K stream?

So the question is how well does this tv upscale a image to 8k? And for the price I'd go to a retailer that has one on display and ask if the they can put some "real world" content on the screen, and not the demo that they'll be running.

Jumping up 10" in screen size might help the "wow' factor but that usually wears off in a couple of months. I just think it's to early to be an adopter of 8k. I haven't seen a tv that I'd pay 3 to 4 times the price of my 55"KS8000 back in 2016 and wouldn't have buyers remorse.

But this is just my opinion.
post #36726 of 37006 Old 12-07-2019, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by atkirkp View Post
Quote:
I don't think you will be blown away (verses price). What true 8k content is out there to view(at this time)? You won't be able to go out and buy an 8k copy of the Joker in January. Streaming...the compression on 4k can be bad at times and would you even have the internet speed to support an 8K stream?

So the question is how well does this tv upscale a image to 8k? And for the price I'd go to a retailer that has one on display and ask if the they can put some "real world" content on the screen, and not the demo that they'll be running.

Jumping up 10" in screen size might help the "wow' factor but that usually wears off in a couple of months. I just think it's to early to be an adopter of 8k. I haven't seen a tv that I'd pay 3 to 4 times the price of my 55"KS8000 back in 2016 and wouldn't have buyers remorse.

But this is just my opinion.
Thank you very much for your answer. I think I'll wait 1 or 2 years, and hopefully Samsung will come out with dolby vision included. That will make a big difference. I just saw this great price for the q950r, 4500€ plus you get a samsung s10+. That made me think to buy this Tv but anyway thnx bro ✌️
post #36727 of 37006 Old 12-09-2019, 04:45 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Honestly don't even think about 8k for at least a decade. There is no real content outside demo material that is being produced for it and won't be for some time. In fact many movies are still finished at 2k. Producing content at higher resolutions is expensive and the industry is slow to adapt.

Save the money here and instead spend it in a high-end 4k OLED.
post #36728 of 37006 Old 12-09-2019, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you very much for your answer. I think I'll wait 1 or 2 years, and hopefully Samsung will come out with dolby vision included. That will make a big difference. I just saw this great price for the q950r, 4500€ plus you get a samsung s10+. That made me think to buy this Tv but anyway thnx bro ✌️
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for DV from Samsung. As long as they are heavily invested in HDR10+, it'll be a long while before you see DV support in one of their TVs.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
post #36729 of 37006 Old 12-09-2019, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for DV from Samsung. As long as they are heavily invested in HDR10+, it'll be a long while before you see DV support in one of their TVs.
Which is a shame. I love my KS8500 but as DV seems to be more popular - especially in streaming - I will want that when I replace.
sparky7 likes this.

Samsung UE55KS8000 | Pioneer SC-LX701 | Dune HD Pro 4K | Zidoo Z9S | Apple TV 4K | Nvidia Shield TV (2019) | Fire TV Stick 4K | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Player
post #36730 of 37006 Old 12-09-2019, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

The only Dolby Atmos Prime Video on Amazon is the new season of Jack Ryan. Netflix is having issues. I put a ticket in on why no Atmos
post #36731 of 37006 Old 12-09-2019, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Standard mode goes dark now. I tried watching jack reacher on netflix in 4k UHD through amazon box and it shows 3840x2160 at 60hz. 30 seconds into the show the picture goes darker. I can get it back to where it was by changing the picture mode to something else and then back to standard....and 30 sec later it gets darker again. This never used to happen. What’s going on? I’m on firmware 1231 and i don’t have the issue when viewing mode is set to natural.

Last edited by wargod; 12-09-2019 at 08:24 PM.
post #36732 of 37006 Old 12-09-2019, 10:16 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by wargod View Post
Standard mode goes dark now. I tried watching jack reacher on netflix in 4k UHD through amazon box and it shows 3840x2160 at 60hz. 30 seconds into the show the picture goes darker. I can get it back to where it was by changing the picture mode to something else and then back to standard....and 30 sec later it gets darker again. This never used to happen. What’s going on? I’m on firmware 1231 and i don’t have the issue when viewing mode is set to natural.
Did you check the basics:
- Check if ECO-mode is enabled?
- Unplug the TV from power socket for a couple of seconds?
- Do other sources show the same results?

You might want to consider upgrading to the latest firmware.
post #36733 of 37006 Old 12-10-2019, 05:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navymac62 View Post
The only Dolby Atmos Prime Video on Amazon is the new season of Jack Ryan. Netflix is having issues. I put a ticket in on why no Atmos
Not quite. If you do a search for ATMOS on Amazon Video, it comes up with much more than Jack Ryan.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."

Last edited by Rolls-Royce; 12-10-2019 at 05:49 AM.
post #36734 of 37006 Old 12-10-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaBEN View Post
Did you check the basics:
- Check if ECO-mode is enabled?
- Unplug the TV from power socket for a couple of seconds?
- Do other sources show the same results?

You might want to consider upgrading to the latest firmware.
I will check these. I heard that the latest firmware is a downgrade from what I have.
post #36735 of 37006 Old 12-10-2019, 06:03 PM

What min backlight did you set your eco-mode on to?
post #36736 of 37006 Old 12-11-2019, 03:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just got a 65ks9000 off a friend, and I'm having an issue with the smart remove, all the functions of remote work, except power on and off needs to be line of sight to the tv, it can't be pointed in a different direction. But all the other functions of remote done need to be line of sight, isnt that weird?
post #36737 of 37006 Old 12-11-2019, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edlee321 View Post
I just got a 65ks9000 off a friend, and I'm having an issue with the smart remove, all the functions of remote work, except power on and off needs to be line of sight to the tv, it can't be pointed in a different direction. But all the other functions of remote done need to be line of sight, isnt that weird?
Sorry, I meant all other functions dont need line of sight, I tried to reprogram the remote and reset the tv, and still same issue
post #36738 of 37006 Old 12-11-2019, 07:24 AM
NTC

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edlee321 View Post

Nope, not weird. The remote uses the IR to turn on/off the TV, all other functions on the smart remote is with RF. Its by design to work that way.
Rolls-Royce likes this.
post #36739 of 37006 Old 12-12-2019, 01:28 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 32
So, on the Disney+ app, alot of the movie and series "extra features"/description tabs now display "available in 4K HDR", among other things. Though, just having watched the 5th Mandalorian episode, it's still HD. Not that I expected it to just appear out of the blue, but I've seen some people say if it lists it on the description, that means you get 4K. Not true.

Also, maybe a dumb question.... I've had my KS8000 for a couple years now, and it used to give you an info option from a button on the remote where the drop down screen would appear and show the current resolution and frame Hz (it was the letter "i" inside a circle). I guess they removed that with a firmware update at some point. My question is how do we get that info now? Did they move the location of that "i" button? I was used to seeing it auto-show whenever you put on, say a 4k BD, but often times it does not show this anymore and with different streaming apps, it would be nice to be able to check.

Samsung UN60KS8000
Samsung UBD-K8500
post #36740 of 37006 Old 12-13-2019, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 5
A couple weeks ago, my KS8000 developed the “spotlights” at the base of the LCD. It started as one, and now has professed to five. Called for a repair via my extended warranty, sent in pics of the issue and they are going to replace my KS8000. What would be a good replacement for this TV? I have a 65” A9G OLED upstairs that I love, but would prefer a LCD downstairs just for the newer gaming features. How are the new QLEDs in comparison to the PQ of the KS series?

Sony XBR65A9G | Samsung Q60 65” | ATV4K
post #36741 of 37006 Old 12-13-2019, 12:50 PM

Alright, I'm about ready to throw my TV through the window. I cannot get HDR content to work anymore. The apps built in to the TV such as Netflix and Amazon Prime Video no longer seem to be playing HDR. For instance, I will play an amazon prime UHD HDR video and the notification "An HDR video is playing" will show up. Great. I check the settings on my TV and the backlight does not change to 20 like it used to. I change it manually to max backlight, but the picture is still way too dim. I have smart LED set to high and dynamic contrast is off. I am using movie as a picture mode. Eco Settings are off. I've had the TV for a long time and I remember how stunning HDR content used to look. Now it looks like washed out garbage. For instance, Marco Polo on Netflix used to be blinding in HDR. Now it is bland and awful.

This is the same story with my Apple TV 4k. Although I can switch the Apple TV to output HDR and 4:2:2 chroma without an issue, the ATV menu simply gets very dim and the HDR content I stream from Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+, and Apple TV+ all looks washed out and nothing like they should in proper HDR. I am running through an Onkyo 686 receiver and have never had issues with the receiver passing video properly.

I've tried resetting all the settings in the Samsung TV to factory default. I've unplugged it and plugged it back in. I've reset my Apple TV and updated it to the latest firmware. I've spent hours in the menus attempting to resolve this HDR issue to no avail. It doesn't help that there is ZERO indication of when the TV is playing an HDR video whatsoever except for the backlight going to maximum. Which it hasn't been doing as far as I can tell when I play an HDR video, but I get confused and can't remember if I ever changed the backlight in the past while HDR content was playing thus eliminating it automatically going to 20 and thus eliminating the only possible way to tell if HDR is working.

Did Samsung destroy HDR with an update recently? Do you have to use "dynamic contrast" on to get HDR to look right? I'm just at a total loss right now.
post #36742 of 37006 Old 12-13-2019, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioomagates View Post
A couple weeks ago, my KS8000 developed the “spotlights” at the base of the LCD. It started as one, and now has professed to five. Called for a repair via my extended warranty, sent in pics of the issue and they are going to replace my KS8000. What would be a good replacement for this TV? I have a 65” A9G OLED upstairs that I love, but would prefer a LCD downstairs just for the newer gaming features. How are the new QLEDs in comparison to the PQ of the KS series?

Can you choose whatever or would it have to be comparable ? (edge lit dimming with QD ?)
Sioomagates likes this.
post #36743 of 37006 Old 12-13-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolbymandts View Post
Can you choose whatever or would it have to be comparable ? (edge lit dimming with QD ?)
They offered me a 65" RU8000 which is a huge downgrade vs the KS8000 and WAY less than what I paid for the KS. I'm negotiating with them now about getting into the same price point as what I paid for the KS. They tried the old "it's a still a 8000 series TV" trick when they offered the RU8000.
ez1dog likes this.

post #36744 of 37006 Old 12-14-2019, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
They offered me a 65" RU8000 which is a huge downgrade vs the KS8000 and WAY less than what I paid for the KS. I'm negotiating with them now about getting into the same price point as what I paid for the KS. They tried the old "it's a still a 8000 series TV" trick when they offered the RU8000.
Definitely demand that the Replacement has Quantum Dot tech (since the KS series did )and is the same size. They would have to get you a Q60r at the very least. The Q70r however is closer to the KS spec wise and probably closer to what you paid for the KS as well. If they won't budge on the RU8000 then tell to give you cash/credit and that you will upgrade above the RU8000 with money out of your own pocket.

Best of luck
Terminader and Sioomagates like this.
post #36745 of 37006 Old 12-14-2019, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Can anyone help me - i've noticed a white spot on the bottom edge of my panel. It's down by the logo. I toggled the logo lighting on and off to see if its that, it isnt. When the screen goes to a black scene, it goes black as it should..but in light scenes, it just stays white. I've tried unplugging the set for 24 hrs. Tried light pressure with a cloth. Ran some of those pixel videos on youtube for hours.

Here are some of the best pics I could get of it
https://imgur.com/OkehCBD
https://imgur.com/w5vG7eQ
https://imgur.com/8thicsk
post #36746 of 37006 Old 12-14-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdodt View Post
Can anyone help me - i've noticed a white spot on the bottom edge of my panel. It's down by the logo. I toggled the logo lighting on and off to see if its that, it isnt. When the screen goes to a black scene, it goes black as it should..but in light scenes, it just stays white. I've tried unplugging the set for 24 hrs. Tried light pressure with a cloth. Ran some of those pixel videos on youtube for hours.

Here are some of the best pics I could get of it
https://imgur.com/OkehCBD
https://imgur.com/w5vG7eQ
https://imgur.com/8thicsk
That’s light bleed from the panel. My KS is being replaced under extended warranty for that same issue. I have five spots on the front left hand corner, and mine looks like stage lights against the panel.

post #36747 of 37006 Old 12-14-2019, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
That’s light bleed from the panel. My KS is being replaced under extended warranty for that same issue. I have five spots on the front left hand corner, and mine looks like stage lights against the panel.
I thought light bleed would also be prevalent in black scenes... I mean I have overall light bleed in super dark scenes but this is very localized and is dark black when appropriate. My warranty ran out in 2017 So is this just going to get worse??
post #36748 of 37006 Old 12-16-2019, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
I have that same issue but more severe, it’s really visible and my tv is out of warranty.
Any diy solution/ repair kit?!
post #36749 of 37006 Old 12-17-2019, 05:14 AM

Liked: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Brogan View Post
So, on the Disney+ app, alot of the movie and series "extra features"/description tabs now display "available in 4K HDR", among other things. Though, just having watched the 5th Mandalorian episode, it's still HD. Not that I expected it to just appear out of the blue, but I've seen some people say if it lists it on the description, that means you get 4K. Not true.
It's a limitation of the Disney+ app. No HDR or 4K support in the app on all Samsung TV's at this point in time.

Quote:
Also, maybe a dumb question.... I've had my KS8000 for a couple years now, and it used to give you an info option from a button on the remote where the drop down screen would appear and show the current resolution and frame Hz (it was the letter "i" inside a circle). I guess they removed that with a firmware update at some point. My question is how do we get that info now? Did they move the location of that "i" button? I was used to seeing it auto-show whenever you put on, say a 4k BD, but often times it does not show this anymore and with different streaming apps, it would be nice to be able to check.
Are you sure this information was shown from your TV and not from another device like your Blu-ray player? I use a Harmony remote which has an "i" button on the remote. Depending on the content/app i'm using this "i" button shows different information.
When using my external HDD the "i" button will show the timline, resolution HDR symbol (if the content supports in HDR) and the chapter select. If i press the "i" button while using Netflix it will show me the bitrate of the stream. If i use the "i" button on my PS4 it shows resolution and HDR symbol (if the content supports in HDR).
post #36750 of 37006 Old 12-18-2019, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:

Are you watching content via TV apps? if so, I don't believe you can use that feature. I run everything through my AVR and that info panel displays info on every source I have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
denon s740h , extra , hdmi input , KS8000/KS8500 , no picture , one connect fail , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page