Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 123 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 179701Likes

post #3661 of 36326 Old 07-25-2016, 06:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbfreek View Post
Here you go. As you can see, your soundbar will not fit under the TV, but if it is indeed 3" it won't cover any pixels if you put it in front of the TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for this
The_Donster likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3662 of 36326 Old 07-25-2016, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiuey View Post
Since you're wired for ARC, that means your Anynet CEC is turned on correct? And if it's turned on, does your receiver automatically change to the wrong input just one time after like 10 seconds of turning everything on for the first time?
That was happening, but then I turned HDMI control off on my PS4 and that problem went away. I don't think anything else I have connected supports HDMI control.
post #3663 of 36326 Old 07-25-2016, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expidia View Post
What you are doing is like having a white Audi and a white BMW both sitting in your driveway and you sit on the same chair everyday in your driveway saying "hmmm I wonder which one is whiter"

No. With the kind sharing-caring help of two forum members, both my Audi and BWW are the same whiteness. There is no wonder. Thus I shall get one more of each cars, and two more televisions, and stay here helping all of you achieve the same success with both your cars and televisions.
Expidia likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3664 of 36326 Old 07-25-2016, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by modthispny View Post
did we ever figure out why amazon took HDR off the smart hub?
Are you going down to the "Ultra HD" section on the Amazon app (when you open the app, scroll down a lot)? For some reason the 4K/HDR versions only show up in here. If you just search for an HDR show it gives you the regular version.

I haven't had any trouble with HDR in the Amazon app once I found the shows there.
Larry Rosenberg likes this.
post #3665 of 36326 Old 07-25-2016, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by blenky View Post
This link may help

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...rs-thread.html

(Sorry couldn't resist!)

Yes! That link did help. Thank you. Whites are whites on both sets. Great link.
King Richard likes this.
post #3666 of 36326 Old 07-25-2016, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 17
well apparently based off what i read in this thread, they removed HDR, i have not actually checked, but you were able to see HDR when you clicked on an episode and more info - it no longer displays that.

i'll go ahead and watch a show however and see if it engages HDR or not.
post #3667 of 36326 Old 07-25-2016, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by modthispny View Post
well apparently based off what i read in this thread, they removed HDR, i have not actually checked, but you were able to see HDR when you clicked on an episode and more info - it no longer displays that.

i'll go ahead and watch a show however and see if it engages HDR or not.
I just watched episode 1 of the man in high castle last night and confirmed it was HDR. Going to the episode description said HDR and the pause menu said ULTRA HD/HDR or something like that.
Larry Rosenberg likes this.

Samsung UN65KS8500
Denon AVR-S710W
Samsung UBD-K8500
post #3668 of 36326 Old 07-25-2016, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSpectre View Post
Are you going down to the "Ultra HD" section on the Amazon app (when you open the app, scroll down a lot)? For some reason the 4K/HDR versions only show up in here. If you just search for an HDR show it gives you the regular version.

I haven't had any trouble with HDR in the Amazon app once I found the shows there.
So no short cut SSpectre? Any show recommendations? I'm not sure if I'll have time to watch much. I just want to test out the HDR out and then I'll start watching more when I have more time.

I'm glad you got it worked out PeninsulaMark. I honestly don't know if I'll find the same problems as you simply because I'm going in with fresh eyes. This is all new tech to me. So I might not see the same things that everyone else has.

Official Samsung KS8000/8500 Owners Information PDF
Living Room: LG 55LE5500 Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360 w/Kinect
Bedroom: VIZIO E470VL VIZIO VSB200 Sound Bar Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360
Inner Sanctum: Samsung 65KS8000, Halo XBox One, GoW Xbox 360, Onkyo HT-S5300
post #3669 of 36326 Old 07-25-2016, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Donster View Post
So no short cut SSpectre? Any show recommendations? I'm not sure if I'll have time to watch much. I just want to test out the HDR out and then I'll start watching more when I have more time.
No shortcut that I know of unfortunately. So far I've watched the IMAX nature documentaries The Living Sea, Dolphins, and Coral Reef Adventures and all looked very nice. The graphics at the very beginning (before any live action comes on screen) look a little suspect as The Living Sea for example was made in 1995. Once the actual video comes in it looks great.
The_Donster likes this.
post #3670 of 36326 Old 07-25-2016, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Youtube 4K

How do I know that the video is playing in 4K instead of HD.

Before Playing, There is a 4K icon on the video.
When playing, It is saying HD beside number of views.

?
post #3671 of 36326 Old 07-25-2016, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by massew View Post
Youtube 4K

?
That happened to me the last time I played a "4K" video on YouTube. The quality didn't look nearly as good as usual so I'm guessing it really was HD instead of 4K. I can't remember if the video I watched was one I previously watched in 4K before or not, but I definitely have watched some 4K videos on YouTube that looked amazing. The Patagonia 8K video comes to mind. I didn't have enough time to play with it so I don't know what's going on, but I'm going to check that out again tonight.

I'm not sure if it said 4K when playing before, but you could definitely tell the quality was much better than HD.

Samsung UN65KS8500
Denon AVR-S710W
Samsung UBD-K8500

Last edited by BigSpeen3436; 07-25-2016 at 11:53 AM.
post #3672 of 36326 Old 07-25-2016, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Hello all,

Its been a while since I have been on here. Im looking at the 65" version of this set and wondered if there was still a "lottery" depending on what size you got and if indeed Samsung made the panel. I did do a search and checked out the FAQ's, it is possible I still missed something...

Thanks!!

Chris
post #3673 of 36326 Old 07-25-2016, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbenz94 View Post
Hello all,

Its been a while since I have been on here. Im looking at the 65" version of this set and wondered if there was still a "lottery" depending on what size you got and if indeed Samsung made the panel. I did do a search and checked out the FAQ's, it is possible I still missed something...

Thanks!!

Chris
Samsung makes all of the 65" panels.
post #3674 of 36326 Old 07-25-2016, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Hello all,

Thanks!!

Chris
From what I've see, there are two versions available, FA01 and AA02.. The FA01 is a samsung panel and the AA02 is AU Optronics. I have a FA01 and it's almost flawless but there are people on here with the AA02 panel and also have no problems with it. There is a post in the early pages that provides part numbers for each panel and if you google each number, you can find more info on them. FA01 is produced by SDC (Samsung Display C...) and AA02 is AUO (AU Optronics).
The_Donster likes this.
post #3675 of 36326 Old 07-25-2016, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joetech View Post
Samsung makes all of the 65" panels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2speed125 View Post
From what I've see, there are two versions available, FA01 and AA02.. The FA01 is a samsung panel and the AA02 is AU Optronics. I have a FA01 and it's almost flawless but there are people on here with the AA02 panel and also have no problems with it. There is a post in the early pages that provides part numbers for each panel and if you google each number, you can find more info on them. FA01 is produced by SDC (Samsung Display C...) and AA02 is AUO (AU Optronics).
Thank you!!!

This looks like a great tv and from what I have read, I don't think I should be looking anywhere else. I have had 4 sammys so far and all have been great.

One more question, any good posts curved vs flat?

Thank you both again.

Chris
post #3676 of 36326 Old 07-25-2016, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Thank you!!!

This looks like a great tv and from what I have read, I don't think I should be looking anywhere else. I have had 4 sammys so far and all have been great.

One more question, any good posts curved vs flat?

Thank you both again.

Chris
I read through the entire thread and not much discussion about flat vs curved. I think its just a matter of what you like. I went with a flat one but a curved one does definitely have a wow factor when people first see it. I did as well but the wow factor wore off and I'm super happy with the flat one.
Badbenz94 likes this.
post #3677 of 36326 Old 07-25-2016, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 254 Post(s)
Quoted: 12480 Post(s)
Liked: 11667
I ran a couple tests last night that prove that while the settings are not engaging and changing in standard mode for hdr content, the tv is absolutely 100% in hdr mode. I can do a write up later for others to replicate the test. I'm assuming that eventually a FW update will correct the issue, but the picture itself won't change because hdr is already working. So no worries right now peoples.
acefr and The_Donster like this.
post #3678 of 36326 Old 07-25-2016, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Same here n2speed125. My wife liked the curved, but I picked up the flat. I totally understand the appeal and it definitely pulls you in. The only advise I can give you is don't over think it and take everything you read in A/V threads with a grain of salt. Knock on wood, I've not run into any issues. But I'll admit I'm still trying to find time to get past the set up menu. Unfortunately I've been non stop adulting since I received mine.
Badbenz94 likes this.

post #3679 of 36326 Old 07-25-2016, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Liked: 530
[quote=Fizoore;45530529]
Quote:
Originally Posted by acefr View Post

It is connected right to the one connect box(the 3rd hdmi port) , and can I ask what is Avr ?
Try your FireTV on a different new 4K TV (that support HDCP2.2) and see if it outputs 4K correctly. AVR is audio video receiver, which is not your problem since you connected your FireTV directly to the TV.
post #3680 of 36326 Old 07-25-2016, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Youtube 4K

?
There are a few YouTube 4K video cannot be played in 4K on this TV. I suspect it may use one of the encoding not supported by the TV, so it falls back to HD. However, most of the 4K video will play as 4K, as you can tell from the start of the video the 4K mark at the start of video and the picture quality is better. If you got an ad, just exit the ad and re-select the same 4K video and it should play in 4K. Otherwise, after the ad, the 4k video followed will default to HD.
post #3681 of 36326 Old 07-25-2016, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Youtube 4K

?
When the video is playing if you hit the "go-back arrow" on the remote the header bar will pop up and you will see the resolution listed. A lot of time it may show "HD" if you hit the "go back" arrow again and then reselect the video it will play 4K. I'm not sure why this is, but it is. Some of the times if you do this and continue watching the video and check the video (using the process above) it will have buffered to 4K on its own.
The_Donster and King Richard like this.

Samsung UN65KS8000F
Pioneer BDP-51FD
Yamaha Aventage RX-A2050
Xfinity X1
Playstation 4 Pro
post #3682 of 36326 Old 07-25-2016, 03:11 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 4367
Exclamation RGB, YCbCr, and Chroma Subsampling

BT.709 (or Rec.709) and BT.2020 (or Rec.2020) are RGB Color Spaces. RGB Color Spaces, also known as Color Models, are generally labeled R’G’B’ (pronounced “R-prime, G-prime, B-prime”) by color scientists because they are “gamma-corrected” spaces. Color scientists reserve RGB to refer to non-gamma-corrected (or “linear”) spaces that use red, green, and blue primaries.

[For more on Color Space, see my post >> HERE <<]

With the exception of a few rare cases, every pixel on your screen is made up of Red, Green, and Blue sub-pixels. Therefore, everything sent into your display becomes RGB at some point. However, not everything sent to your display starts off as RGB.

Even though video cameras physically measure RGB values, and displays are made using RGB primaries, video is stored, transmitted, and processed in a color encoding system called YCbCr (or Y′CbCr). When your TV receives a YCbCr signal (e.g. from a Blu-ray player), it processes that signal and converts it to RGB - since that is what the TV uses to display images.

So why do we have YCbCr and RGB? It’s a long story. Let me just say that it involves and goes back to Black & White TV, the transition to color, and human visual perception. In practical application, YCbCr is no different than RGB in terms of quality since humans are far more sensitive to black-and-white information (luminance) than they are to color information (chrominance) - especially in moving images.

Chroma subsampling is a process where color information (chroma) is “sacrificed” in order to reduce bandwidth and file sizes. By a convoluted method of trial and error, and lots of testing, they discovered that they could actually throw out half or even three fourths of the color information and most people wouldn’t even notice. Subsampling (or downsampling) is what happens when you don’t sample 1:1 - which means you throw out some of the data.

Note: Chroma subsampling only applies to YCbCr encoding systems. An RGB color model implicitly does NOT use any chroma subsampling. You can’t have a 4:2:2 RGB stream. What would this mean? What’s the meaning of half green and half blue? Nor can you have a 4:2:0 RGB stream. What kind of image would it be if it can never have blue at all? When you’re talking about RGB, all three channels must contain the same number (i.e. 4:4:4).

YCbCr is the color encoding system used for video sources. It has a native "limited" color range of 16-235 (for 8-bit sources), where everything below 16 is considered "Blacker-than-Black" and everything above 235 is "Whiter-than-White". All video discs, including Blu-rays and UHD Blu-rays, are encoded as YCbCr. Most HDMI devices (Blu-ray players, Satellite receivers, Cable boxes) will output a YCrCb signal. It is usually best to set these source components to output a YCbCr signal not RGB.

For instance, Blu-ray movies are encoded in YCbCr 4:2:0. If you set your Blu-ray player to output an RGB signal, the player needs to first upsample the YCbCr 4:2:0 encode to YCbCr 4:4:4 and then convert it to RGB before sending it to the TV. When you set it to output a 4:2:2 signal, the player first scales the 4:2:0 encode up to 4:2:2, sends that signal to the TV, and then the TV does the upscaling to 4:4:4, converts it to RGB, and sends it to the display controller. If you set it to output a YCbCr 4:4:4 signal, the TV doesn't need to do any upscaling at all since the player takes care of the upsampling, but it still needs to process that signal and convert it to RGB.

In practice, resampling (whether upsampling or downsampling) the color portions of an image is very much like scaling an image from one pixel size to another. Subsampling is in effect a very simple lossy compression scheme, throwing away portions of the image that are less important for perception (the detailed color information) in order to devote more resources to the important stuff (the black-and-white details).

In a Y’CbCr encoding system, the luminance information (or luma signal) is transmitted separately from the color information and a "color difference system" is used to derive green. Y′ (pronounced Y-prime) is the luma component and Cb & Cr are the blue-difference and red-difference chroma components - they are derived from B-Y’ and R-Y’.

Therefore, the luma signal (Y′) can be stored in high resolution and transmitted at high bandwidth, and the two chroma components (Cb and Cr) can be bandwidth-reduced, subsampled, compressed, or otherwise treated separately for improved system efficiency.

If the maximum possible quality of a full color image of a YCbCr signal is "12".
  • 4:4:4 = 4+4+4 = 12, or 100% of maximum possible quality
  • 4:2:2 = 4+2+2 = 8, which is 66.7% of 4:4:4
  • 4:2:0 = 4+2+0 = 6, which is 50% of 4:4:4

Therefore, if a 4:4:4 uncompressed frame is 24 MB, then a 4:2:2 frame will be reduced to 16 MB, and a 4:2:0 will be 12 MB. Note: This is before any compression has been applied.

For 4:4:4, each of the three YCbCr components have the same sample rate, thus there is no chroma subsampling. For every 4 Y pixels, there are 4 Cb and Cr pixels on the even scan lines and 4 Cb and Cr pixels on the odd scan lines. This scheme is sometimes used in high-end film scanners and cinematic post production.

For 4:2:2, the two chroma components are sampled at half the sample rate of luma: the horizontal chroma resolution is halved but the full vertical resolution is retained. For every 4 Y pixels, there are 2 Cb and Cr pixels on the even lines and 2 Cb and Cr pixels on the odd lines. This reduces the bandwidth of an uncompressed video signal by one-third with little to no visual difference.

For 4:2:0, both the horizontal and the vertical chroma resolution is halved since the Cb and Cr chroma channels are only sampled on each alternate line. For every 4 Y pixels on the even scan lines, there will be 2 Cb and Cr pixels and for every 4 Y pixels on the odd scan lines there will be 0 Cb and Cr pixels. For television broadcasts, videos, and movies, 4:2:0 subsampling reduces the file size by half - before any compression has been applied.

However, while subsampling can easily reduce the size of an uncompressed image by up to 50% with minimal loss of quality, the final effect on the size of a compressed image is considerably less - this is because image compression algorithms also remove redundant chroma information.

The important thing to understand and remember is, when it comes to viewing movies, TV shows, or videos, very few people will be able to notice any difference in quality between 4:4:4 and 4:2:0 subsampling.

[For more, see my posts >> HERE << and >> HERE<<]

Richard

Last edited by King Richard; 05-08-2017 at 01:32 AM.
post #3683 of 36326 Old 07-25-2016, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 254 Post(s)
Quoted: 12480 Post(s)
Liked: 11667
Quote:
There are a few YouTube 4K video cannot be played in 4K on this TV. I suspect it may use one of the encoding not supported by the TV, so it falls back to HD. However, most of the 4K video will play as 4K, as you can tell from the start of the video the 4K mark at the start of video and the picture quality is better. If you got an ad, just exit the ad and re-select the same 4K video and it should play in 4K. Otherwise, after the ad, the 4k video followed will default to HD.

Or the video is falsely advertised in the title as being 4k when it's not, which is actually very common on YouTube.
post #3684 of 36326 Old 07-25-2016, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
A question that comes up often on all threads related to the Samsung TV Lineup. The choice is yours but here is the route I have chosen and if the TV had more inputs all of my devices would be hooked up to it!

You'll see I have even taken advantage of the Coax connector for my Security Cameras!

Note: I have choosen to use ARC but unless you are well versed in your A/V Receiver and setting up the TV correctly, I would suggest going with the Optical Cable between the One Connect Box and your AVR.

Advantages to Hooking Up Devices Directly to the One Connect Box

Graphical interface & Universal Remote

For owners of Samsung Smart TVs the main advantage is that it allows you to use the graphical interface on the TV in conjunction with the Samsung TV's Universal Remote to control devices hooked up directly to the One Connect Box (OCB).

In my case I have my Security Cameras (TV coax), Shaw Cable Box, Blu-Ray Player (Video), Apple TV and Receiver plugged into my OCB as per the Attached Thumbnail of my Wiring Diagram.

Once everything is programmed into the Universal Remote Settings then all the devices hooked up to the OCB can be controlled with the Samsung remote as follows:

Pressing the SOURCE button will bring up a row of icons allowing you to choose the given device as shown below.

Once you have selected a device, a press of the MENU/123 button provides a different group of buttons displayed on the top row depending on what functions apply to that particular device based on the brand and model number you input when setting up the Universal Remote as shown above.

In my case when I choose the SOURCE that my K8500's UHD bLu-ray Player's video HDMI cable is plugged into and then press the MENU/123 button on the TV's remote it will provide a bunch of options specific to the device including Power, Disc Menu, Sub Titles, Popup, Home and Eject along with all the transport controls which you can see in the example above.

Likewise, when I select my Set Top Box and press the MENU/123 button on the TV's remote it will provide a different set of options specific to that device such as Power, Menu, Guide, DVR, and On-Demand.

Note, that even if you go this route you can still use the remote(s) that came with your devices so you can keep other members of the family happy knowing that they can still use the backlit remote that came with the Cable Box to control the TV.

Different Picture Settings

A major advantage why some Samsung TV owners took the approach of running some (or all) of their devices through the TV is this allow us to maintain different Picture Settings for each input.

For example, the recommended setting for viewing HDR material is setting the Color Space to Native, turning HDMI UHD Color On in the TV settings and many of us prefer to increase the Gamma setting by 2 clicks and set Smart LED to High.

In addition seperate settings can be established while viewing content from the Smart Hub apps and connected USB devices as well as seperate settings for those of us who have set up a DLNA Network for sharing files from their Computers.

If this is something Samsung TV owners want to explore, make sure that under Menu/123 >> Picture >> Apply Picture Mode you set it to Current Source instead of All Sources.

HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2

Another advantage is in the case where folks like me don't have a Receiver that provides HDMI 2.0 HDCP 2.2 4K passthrough which may be required by one or more of their devices now or in the future.

Not for everyone but I sure like it!
I tried to connect my devices in 2 ways:

1. all devices go to One Connect Box and use ARC to get audio to my AVR
2. all devices go to AVR and then to One Connect Box under HDMI4

After playing with it for a while, I agree with Musician that connect everything to One Connect Box is a better route. In connection 2, the KS "Smart Remote" just does not play well with an AVR as the source selector. It will sometimes incorrectly switch on my UHD player, and change the source on my AVR to UHD player when I try to watch the streaming box.

Connection 1 gives you a better picture too as the video bypasses the AVR. The only thing you lose is the lossless audio like Dolby True HD, DTS-HD, Dolby ATMOS, DTS-X that ARC cannot pass through. However, the only device that can output lossless audio is the UHD player, and it has a separate HDMI output for audio that I can connect to AVR directly to get the lossless audio. For other devices, the ARC works fine.
post #3685 of 36326 Old 07-25-2016, 03:34 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creator44 View Post
Am I right to assume that all this 4:2:0, 4:2:2, 4:4:4 stuff is only applicable when you output using the YCbCr color space with your device (Nvidia Shield for example) and NOT applicable when you output using RGB? Does that mean RGB can't be "compressed" like YCbCr can with 4:2:0, 4:2:2 ?

On the shield, I can only choose between FULL or LIMITED range if I am in RGB mode? Is that a notion that ONLY applies to RGB?

On the shield, I can choose RGB or YCbCr 4:4:4 as the output format. Which one is better for the UHD TVs like the Samsung KS8000/9000?

Yes, 4:2:0, 4:2:2, 4:4:4 only applies to a YCbCr signal. RGB does not use chroma subsampling.

Yes, FULL-Range or LIMITED-Range only applies to an RGB signal.

Set your Shield to output YCbCr 4:4:4

Richard
Musician likes this.
post #3686 of 36326 Old 07-25-2016, 03:49 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creator44 View Post
TV YCbCr 4:4:4, SHIELD YCbCr 4:4:4:

If so since the blu-rays are encoded in 4:2:0 what happens when you output to 4:4:4? Does the SHIELD try to "regain" color information using a formula or does it simply send the 4:2:0 information with a 4:4:4 tag and the TV "thinks" there is full color information wheres in reality it's a 4:2:0 stream?

In this case, your Shield would up-sample the movie's YCbCr 4:2:0 encode to YCbCr 4:4:4 before sending it to the TV.

The TV would than convert that signal to RGB.

Richard

Last edited by King Richard; 07-25-2016 at 04:51 PM.
post #3687 of 36326 Old 07-25-2016, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 27
From all the reviews I've read, all of them basically describe the black level with the local dimming turned on.I have not seen one review talking about how the black level is with the local dimming turned off.Is it that bad? Can someone please comment on how the black level is since the local dimming isn't suppose to be this model's strong point and has a few downsides to it regarding reflections around the borders and so on.There's 123 pages in the owner's thread and I'm sure it's been discussed about before but just not sure what page this was talked about.Thanks in advance.
post #3688 of 36326 Old 07-25-2016, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman123 View Post
I find the blacks to be spectacular except when there are black bars. The one at the top does show some glow from the edge lighting (more visible on an angle) and does show flashlighting from time to time. These issues are mainly noticeable in a pitch black room.
Are these problems present even with local dimming turned off?
post #3689 of 36326 Old 07-25-2016, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbeenjammin1969 View Post
From all the reviews I've read, all of them basically describe the black level with the local dimming turned on.I have not seen one review talking about how the black level is with the local dimming turned off.Is it that bad? Can someone please comment on how the black level is since the local dimming isn't suppose to be this model's strong point and has a few downsides to it regarding reflections around the borders and so on.There's 123 pages in the owner's thread and I'm sure it's been discussed about before but just not sure what page this was talked about.Thanks in advance.
I don't think that's been covered on the 1st post FAQ, but you can also search this thread at the top of the right corner of the threads page. Try keyword: Local Dimming.

post #3690 of 36326 Old 07-25-2016, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I tried to connect my devices in 2 ways:

1. all devices go to One Connect Box and use ARC to get audio to my AVR
2. all devices go to AVR and then to One Connect Box under HDMI4

After playing with it for a while, I agree with Musician that connect everything to One Connect Box is a better route. In connection 2, the KS "Smart Remote" just does not play well with an AVR as the source selector. It will sometimes incorrectly switch on my UHD player, and change the source on my AVR to UHD player when I try to watch the streaming box.

Connection 1 gives you a better picture too as the video bypasses the AVR. The only thing you lose is the lossless audio like Dolby True HD, DTS-HD, Dolby ATMOS, DTS-X that ARC cannot pass through. However, the only device that can output lossless audio is the UHD player, and it has a separate HDMI output for audio that I can connect to AVR directly to get the lossless audio. For other devices, the ARC works fine.
I'm using set up #1(HDMI 1: One, HDMI 2: 360) except I'm using an optical cable instead of the ARC to Onkyo HT-S5300 receiver. So is there any disadvantage to me having my OCB and receiver linked up optically? This is my first time hooking up the Onkyo despite owning it for 6+ years. At this point I'm just hoping that I set up the speakers correctly and sounds come out of the front and centers. The rest of the speakers are going to have to wait until I can get a rug and some speaker stands to help hide the wires. I've attached a picture of what my new baby looks like in my room. Ignore the big guy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My Samsung KS8000-01.jpg
Views:	637
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	1565273   Click image for larger version

Name:	My Samsung KS8000-02.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	1565281  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
denon s740h , extra , hdmi input , KS8000/KS8500 , no picture , one connect fail , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page