Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 1230 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 180139Likes

post #36871 of 36954 Old 01-18-2020, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I saw a post on reddit that said someone was able to download the apple rev app on the ks8000, has anyone else been able to successfully do so? I saw a few posts about apps freezing up as well, I have also had this problem. What has worked for me, without doing any total resets, was doing a soft reset by holding the power button until it turned off and continue holding it for a 10-15 seconds or so. It took a few tries the 2nd time it happened to be, but worked both times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #36872 of 36954 Old 01-18-2020, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Apple TV app*
post #36873 of 36954 Old 01-18-2020, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Well I'd be surprised if the Apple TV App on a KS model is real. I've not seen anybody boasting about being able to side load any apps to a KS model ever. So color me skeptical on that.

As for all the issues with people are having with apps freezing up? My guess is that the system requirements required to run these apps are getting to the point of meeting/exceeding the hardware in the KS series. As these apps keep getting updated, I'm sure they are using more and more of the systems resources. If the KS's had the "clear the cache" options that the newer Samsungs have, it might alleviate some of the freezing issues. Can a firmware update fix this issue? I don't know, maybe?... but I have doubts.

Just last year it was announced that several apps would no longer be supported on 2015 or earlier smart TVs and other streaming devices. The WWE app is no longer on my KS yet I can still download it on my RU series. I see this issue becoming more prevalent on the KS series and other 2016 model TVs as time goes on.
Terminader likes this.

Last edited by atkirkp; 01-18-2020 at 06:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #36874 of 36954 Old 01-18-2020, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diocletian View Post
Dull how? Soft image? Are both using the same HDMI cable type? Have you switched everything around to check for any other factors?
Sharpness is fine, but the colors on HDR don't look much better than SDR on the Roku. 4K BD player doesn't seem to have this issue. Both using the same HDMI cables, not changed in over a year. Haven't tried swapping cables/inputs.

Bob Simandl ... somewhere near St. Louis
post #36875 of 36954 Old 01-22-2020, 01:31 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaBEN View Post
Last week i had to factory reset my TV. I documented all my picture settings for all modes before doing the factory reset. I gathered these settings in the past few years from this forum and other sources. I do believe these are the "generally agreed upon" settings that are still applicable to firmware version 1241.5
The HDMI pdf documents also include Game Mode settings.

These settings are based on getting the most accurate picture quality (how the content provider wanted you to see the picture) for when your tv is not professionally calibrated. You'll only have to enter these settings once for each picture mode and your set.

Special thanks for the HDR+ settings!
Thanks so much for the settings. Couple of quick questions....

1) When you put 'Uit' what does that mean?

2) when i switch from hdmi to an internal app like netflix, should i have to manually swap to standard from movie? or is there a way for this to happen automatically?

Thanks,

AJ
ThaBEN likes this.
post #36876 of 36954 Old 01-22-2020, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimpfont View Post
Thanks so much for the settings. Couple of quick questions....

1) When you put 'Uit' what does that mean?

2) when i switch from hdmi to an internal app like netflix, should i have to manually swap to standard from movie? or is there a way for this to happen automatically?

Thanks,

AJ
Hello AJ,

1) "Uit" means "Off" in my native language (Dutch). I wrote that document in my native language and apparently overlooked that part when i did a quick translation into English before posting here

2) In "Expert Settings" you'll find a option called "Apply Picture settings" where you can choose between "All Sources / Current Source"
You need to choose "Current Source" while you're using an internal app. Then you only have to select the picture mode "Standard" once and it will always automatically load that picture mode each time you use an internal app.

Note: Even though you chose "Current Source" these settings will be used on all non-HDMI sources (Internal Media player when viewing content connected via USB + all internal apps.) The TV recognises these as one source. Unfortunately this means that you can't use different settings for each individual app.
However, when using "Current Source" on a HDMI input it does indeed save separate settings for each of the 4 HDMI port.
Chuck Ebby and darsuke like this.
post #36877 of 36954 Old 01-22-2020, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Hello AJ,

1) "Uit" means "Off" in my native language (Dutch). I wrote that document in my native language and apparently overlooked that part when i did a quick translation into English before posting here

2) In "Expert Settings" you'll find a option called "Apply Picture settings" where you can choose between "All Sources / Current Source"
You need to choose "Current Source" while you're using an internal app. Then you only have to select the picture mode "Standard" once and it will always automatically load that picture mode each time you use an internal app.

Note: Even though you chose "Current Source" these settings will be used on all non-HDMI sources (Internal Media player when viewing content connected via USB + all internal apps.) The TV recognises these as one source. Unfortunately this means that you can't use different settings for each individual app.
However, when using "Current Source" on a HDMI input it does indeed save separate settings for each of the 4 HDMI port.
Regarding the HDMI settings for say an amazon firestick for example. If we input your settings for HDMI HDR but then play an SDR file the source is still set as HDR yes?

We can't fine tune that?
post #36878 of 36954 Old 01-22-2020, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked: 1394
Quote:
Originally Posted by darsuke View Post
Regarding the HDMI settings for say an amazon firestick for example. If we input your settings for HDMI HDR but then play an SDR file the source is still set as HDR yes?

We can't fine tune that?
If you set the Firestick to always output HDR, the TV will remain there as well. If the Firestick switches back and forth, so will the TV.
Chuck Ebby likes this.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #36879 of 36954 Old 01-22-2020, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
If you set the Firestick to always output HDR, the TV will remain there as well. If the Firestick switches back and forth, so will the TV.
I'm just trying to still understand which picture settings to use for different inputs.
Ben's examples are for choosing either HDR or SDR for each source. But I think in all cases each source will be playing a mix of both those ranges?
post #36880 of 36954 Old 01-22-2020, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm just trying to still understand which picture settings to use for different inputs.
Ben's examples are for choosing either HDR or SDR for each source. But I think in all cases each source will be playing a mix of both those ranges?
The TV will automatically switch from SDR to HDR mode and back if the source does. The TV responds to the source signal in determining which dynamic range it will operate in. If your Firestick is set to always output HDR, the TV will stay in HDR regardless of whether the original program being played is SDR or HDR.

The KS does not allow you to manually choose HDR or SDR - it's all automatic.
joe75xp and ThaBEN like this.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."

Last edited by Rolls-Royce; 01-22-2020 at 09:03 AM.
post #36881 of 36954 Old 01-22-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
The TV will automatically switch from SDR to HDR mode and back if the source does. The TV responds to the source signal in determining which dynamic range it will operate in. If your Firestick is set to always output HDR, the TV will stay in HDR regardless of whether the original program being played is SDR or HDR.

The KS does not allow you to manually choose HDR or SDR - it's all automatic.
OK I get that the TV is choosing its range by itself depending on source.

It's the choosing different picture settings I can't articulate my response well enough. In these examples we're given both an HDR and SDR setting option.

If the TV decides the range;
Why are there both options
Which should I choose in that case?
post #36882 of 36954 Old 01-22-2020, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

It's the choosing different picture settings I can't articulate my response well enough. In these examples we're given both an HDR and SDR setting option.

The controls and their ranges are different between HDR and SDR because HDR operates under a whole different set of specifications than SDR. Without a meter, software, and the proper HDR patterns, you really shouldn't be adjusting anything when in HDR mode, especially backlight, contrast, or brightness. Whether you select Standard, Movie, or another picture mode is entirely dependent on personal taste.
Terminader likes this.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
post #36883 of 36954 Old 01-22-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
The controls and their ranges are different between HDR and SDR because HDR operates under a whole different set of specifications than SDR. Without a meter, software, and the proper HDR patterns, you really shouldn't be adjusting anything when in HDR mode, especially backlight, contrast, or brightness. Whether you select Standard, Movie, or another picture mode is entirely dependent on personal taste.
Maybe I'm doing all wrong in that case.

OK to start fresh again....

Reset picture settings
Choose a set of picture settings for each input when viewing just SDR sources
Leave HDR the heck alone and trust the TV?
post #36884 of 36954 Old 01-22-2020, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Maybe I'm doing all wrong in that case.

OK to start fresh again....

Reset picture settings
Choose a set of picture settings for each input when viewing just SDR sources
Leave HDR the heck alone and trust the TV?
More or less. The issue is that HDR, unlike SDR, specifies a fixed luminance curve and fixed values for the points along that curve. That is called ST2084, and 100% luminance is mandated at 10,000 nits (for future-proofing). No display in the world can currently reach that level, nor produce the whole color gamut (Rec 2020) called for. Displays try to get as close as they can by tone-mapping an incoming HDR signal down to what they can manage. That tone mapping is based on the HDR defaults I mentioned earlier, so by changing them, you impair the TV's ability to follow the ST2084 luminance curve up to its own limits.
Unfortunately, until recently, there wasn't any standard for tone mapping, so each manufacturer did their own thing. Our KS-series, being a 2016 model, is from those old "Wild West" days.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."

Last edited by Rolls-Royce; 01-22-2020 at 10:03 AM.
post #36885 of 36954 Old 01-22-2020, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
One thing I ran into when using these settings, specifically the SDR HDR+ settings, is that even when I have it set to current source only the settings get copied to all sources. Might be a bug with using HDR+.
post #36886 of 36954 Old 01-22-2020, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faringe Mzungu View Post
One thing I ran into when using these settings, specifically the SDR HDR+ settings, is that even when I have it set to current source only the settings get copied to all sources. Might be a bug with using HDR+.
Sorry, meant to include that changing settings for HDR+ in the apps changes it for my HDMI inputs as well and vice versa.
post #36887 of 36954 Old 01-22-2020, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Quote:
It's one of those things that really makes one wonder what someone was thinking when they created the option in settings to begin with. Great little device otherwise. It has virtually eliminated my use of Roku (except for Vudu) and the built in apps (except for YouTube).

post #36888 of 36954 Old 01-23-2020, 01:44 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
further Thanks

Quote:
Hello AJ,

Thanks again!

Works perfectly.

The settings look great. Out of curiosity, if the settings are to get the picture as close to the content creators intention (which is exactly what i want ), why do we change the gamma setting on the TV to -1?

Thanks for the infor.

AJ
ThaBEN likes this.
post #36889 of 36954 Old 01-23-2020, 02:42 AM

Quote:

The TV can save 2 sets of custom picture settings for each input. This is not well explained by the TV and i think you might be confused by this. Just to be clear, when you choose for example HDMI input 1 and watch a SDR source, you can enter your custom picture settings while viewing SDR content and from then on it will use those custom settings for all SDR content viewed on HDMI input 1.
(HDMI 1 SDR is your save file 1 out of 2.)

When you watch an HDR source on HDMI input 1 you can enter your custom picture settings while viewing HDR content and from then on it will use those custom settings for all HDR content viewed on HDMI input 1.
(HDMI 1 HDR is your save file 2 out of 2.)

Once you've entered your custom picture settings for both SDR and HDR on HDMI 1 the TV will remember those settings and will automatically switch between both depending on the source your TV receives on HDMI input 1. So SDR content on HDMI 1 will always use save file 1 and HDR content on HDMI 1 will always use save file 2.

You need to repeat these steps for each input once, so you need to enter 2 sets of picture settings per input (1 for SDR and 1 for HDR). When you've done this the TV will always use the correct settings for each input no matter if the source is SDR/HDR, without having to manually adjust anything.

Note:
You've also got 'Game mode' mode and 'HDR+ mode' (with HDR+ having it's own separete SDR and HDR settings that the TV will save). So technically you've got access up to 5 sets of custom picture settings per input. Here's a list for each input/source combination that you can give custom picture settings, that will always be used for that specific combination. You'll only need to enter these settings once while actively displaying that specific combination. It can take a while, but once you've done this for the entire list below you will never need to manually adjust anything ever again.

HDMI 1 SDR (Save file 1 of 5)
HDMI 1 HDR (Save file 2 of 5)
HDMI 1 HDR+ SDR (Save file 3 of 5)
HDMI 1 HDR+ HDR (Save file 4 of 5)
HDMI 1 Game mode (Save file 5 of 5)

HDMI 2 SDR (Save file 1 of 5)
HDMI 2 HDR (Save file 2 of 5)
HDMI 2 HDR+ SDR (Save file 3 of 5)
HDMI 2 HDR+ HDR (Save file 4 of 5)
HDMI 2 Game mode (Save file 5 of 5)

HDMI 3 SDR (Save file 1 of 5)
HDMI 3 HDR (Save file 2 of 5)
HDMI 3 HDR+ SDR (Save file 3 of 5)
HDMI 3 HDR+ HDR (Save file 4 of 5)
HDMI 3 Game mode (Save file 5 of 5)

HDMI 4 SDR (Save file 1 of 5)
HDMI 4 HDR (Save file 2 of 5)
HDMI 4 HDR+ SDR (Save file 3 of 5)
HDMI 4 HDR+ HDR (Save file 4 of 5)
HDMI 4 Game mode (Save file 5 of 5)

Internal apps SDR (Save file 1 of 4)
Internal apps HDR (Save file 2 of 4)
Internal apps HDR+ SDR (Save file 3 of 4)
Internal apps HDR+ HDR (Save file 4 of 4)
Game mode is not available for internal apps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimpfont View Post
Thanks again!

Works perfectly.

The settings look great. Out of curiosity, if the settings are to get the picture as close to the content creators intention (which is exactly what i want ), why do we change the gamma setting on the TV to -1?

Thanks for the infor.

AJ
Good point, ideally you would use gamma 0. But i do believe that -1 is beneficial to compensate for 'blooming' when using white subtitles (which is a lot in my case). You can adjust Gamma according to your personal taste.

Last edited by ThaBEN; 01-23-2020 at 03:24 AM.
post #36890 of 36954 Old 01-23-2020, 03:19 AM

Quote:
The TV can save 2 sets of custom picture settings for each input. This is not well explained by the TV and i think you might be confused by this. Just to be clear, when you choose for example HDMI input 1 and watch a SDR source, you can enter your custom picture settings while viewing SDR content and from then on it will use those custom settings for all SDR content viewed on HDMI input 1.
(HDMI 1 SDR is your save file 1 out of 2.)

When you watch an HDR source on HDMI input 1 you can enter your custom picture settings while viewing HDR content and from then on it will use those custom settings for all HDR content viewed on HDMI input 1.
(HDMI 1 HDR is your save file 2 out of 2.)

Once you've entered your custom picture settings for both SDR and HDR on HDMI 1 the TV will remember those settings and will automatically switch between both depending on the source your TV receives on HDMI input 1. So SDR content on HDMI 1 will always use save file 1 and HDR content on HDMI 1 will always use save file 2.

You need to repeat these steps for each input once, so you need to enter 2 sets of picture settings per input (1 for SDR and 1 for HDR). When you've done this the TV will always use the correct settings for each input no matter if the source is SDR/HDR, without having to manually adjust anything.

Note:
You've also got 'Game mode' mode and 'HDR+ mode' (with HDR+ having it's own separete SDR and HDR settings that the TV will save). So technically you've got access up to 5 sets of custom picture settings per input. Here's a list for each input/source combination that you can give custom picture settings, that will always be used for that specific combination. You'll only need to enter these settings once while actively displaying that specific combination. It can take a while, but once you've done this for the entire list below you will never need to manually adjust anything ever again.

HDMI 1 SDR (Save file 1 of 5)
HDMI 1 HDR (Save file 2 of 5)
HDMI 1 HDR+ SDR (Save file 3 of 5)
HDMI 1 HDR+ HDR (Save file 4 of 5)
HDMI 1 Game mode (Save file 5 of 5)

HDMI 2 SDR (Save file 1 of 5)
HDMI 2 HDR (Save file 2 of 5)
HDMI 2 HDR+ SDR (Save file 3 of 5)
HDMI 2 HDR+ HDR (Save file 4 of 5)
HDMI 2 Game mode (Save file 5 of 5)

HDMI 3 SDR (Save file 1 of 5)
HDMI 3 HDR (Save file 2 of 5)
HDMI 3 HDR+ SDR (Save file 3 of 5)
HDMI 3 HDR+ HDR (Save file 4 of 5)
HDMI 3 Game mode (Save file 5 of 5)

HDMI 4 SDR (Save file 1 of 5)
HDMI 4 HDR (Save file 2 of 5)
HDMI 4 HDR+ SDR (Save file 3 of 5)
HDMI 4 HDR+ HDR (Save file 4 of 5)
HDMI 4 Game mode (Save file 5 of 5)

Internal apps SDR (Save file 1 of 4)
Internal apps HDR (Save file 2 of 4)
Internal apps HDR+ SDR (Save file 3 of 4)
Internal apps HDR+ HDR (Save file 4 of 4)
Game mode is not available for internal apps
Perfect explanation
This is how I interpreted it initially but then got confused. It now makes sense again.

I followed all the suggestions and found them dark compared to what I prefer. But stuck at it for a week to give my eyes time to adjust. Then I got an odroid delivered and reset the TV for that. Contemplating which settings to put back in again now
ThaBEN likes this.
post #36891 of 36954 Old 01-23-2020, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Perfect explanation
This is how I interpreted it initially but then got confused. It now makes sense again.

I followed all the suggestions and found them dark compared to what I prefer. But stuck at it for a week to give my eyes time to adjust. Then I got an odroid delivered and reset the TV for that. Contemplating which settings to put back in again now

You can always increase backlight to suit your lighting environment/personal taste. Increasing or decreasing the backlight does not influence the other settings in any negative way
Chuck Ebby and darsuke like this.
post #36892 of 36954 Old 01-23-2020, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread

Can someone give me some advice or feedback.

I bought the KS9000 (very similar to KS8000)

The TCL 6-Series 65 in is sitting nice with a price range of 600 dollars at Best Buy.

I paid 2000 dollars for the KS9000 3 years ago.

With Samsung backing out of the HDR10+ update they promised. I don’t know if I should just upgrade or not.

Now the TCL 6 Series has Dolby Vision and HDR10

Is it worth replacing the tv for the tcl? Or is there not much of a difference and I should wait for LG or Sony? Down the road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #36893 of 36954 Old 01-23-2020, 06:57 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by sshuttari View Post

The TCL 6-Series 65 in is sitting nice with a price range of 600 dollars at Best Buy.

With Samsung backing out of the HDR10+ update they promised. I don’t know if I should just upgrade or not.

Is it worth replacing the tv for the tcl? Or is there not much of a difference and I should wait for LG or Sony? Down the road

Is there a problem with your current TV or are you looking for a larger set? I haven't missed Dolby Vision at all as the KS8000 gets plenty bright and HDR10 content looks great on it. I watch 4K content primarily through my ATV4K which does a great job converting Dolby Vision to HDR10 (for content that isn't available in HDR10). I haven't seen the TCL, but considering it isn't a higher end set, I'm not sure how much of a difference you'll see coming from a KS9000.

Samsung UN55KS8000 | Denon AVR-X4500H | AppleTV 4K | DirecTV HR54 + 4K RVU | Samsung UBD-M8500
Samsung UN55HU8550 + SEK-4500/ZA | Samsung Soundbar HW-H550 | AppleTV 4K | DirecTV 4K RVU | Samsung UBD-K8500
Samsung QN43Q60RA | AppleTV 4th Gen | DirecTV C41W
post #36894 of 36954 Old 01-24-2020, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:

The KS9000 was a high-end set for it's time, I'd be surprised if you notice much if any improvement with the TCL 6 (in some aspects the KS is still better).

I don't think you will miss out on much, the HDR format war is still on-going. If there is nothing wrong with your TV I'd wait.
Chuck Ebby and sshuttari like this.
post #36895 of 36954 Old 01-24-2020, 11:31 PM

I just want Dolby vision or at least HDR10+

But your right, I’m sure I can wait a year or so to upgrade

post #36896 of 36954 Old 01-25-2020, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
I just want Dolby vision or at least HDR10+

But your right, I’m sure I can wait a year or so to upgrade

Dolby Vision is beneficial for low not TVs and lower end TVs. The KS series gets as high as 1,400 - 1,600 nits and has a higher colour volume than lower Nits TVs. Also the KS has excellent tone mapping!
Plus it's not like the TCL is an OLED so you don't even gain better black levels and the DV or HDR 10+ on the TCL will still look inferior to the KS all day long!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Terminader and Lonewolf7002 like this.
post #36897 of 36954 Old 01-25-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisha View Post
Dolby Vision is beneficial for low not TVs and lower end TVs. The KS series gets as high as 1,400 - 1,600

TCL is an OLED so you don't even gain better black levels and the DV or HDR 10+ on the TCL will still look inferior to the KS all day long!

Wait for real? The HDR on my tv looks so dark. What am I doing wrong? Is there a good setting for HDR to look bright?

post #36898 of 36954 Old 01-25-2020, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wait for real? The HDR on my tv looks so dark. What am I doing wrong? Is there a good setting for HDR to look bright?

Is your Dynamic Contrast off?

All my HDR content is blinding unless it was mastered dark to begin with!

musicman0725 and sshuttari like this.
post #36899 of 36954 Old 01-25-2020, 02:02 PM

No it’s on high. I’m googling calibration settings for my TV. Probably should have done this years ago

post #36900 of 36954 Old 01-25-2020, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No it’s on high. I’m googling calibration settings for my TV. Probably should have done this years ago

It should be on high or medium for HDR content.
Not sure what else your problem could be!

musicman0725 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
denon s740h , extra , hdmi input , KS8000/KS8500 , no picture , one connect fail , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page