Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 180208Likes

post #421 of 37006 Old 05-02-2016, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tts42572 View Post
Are there recommended input ports on this TV for the various connections? For example, Is HDMI 1 suggested for cable boxes? And is there a suggested one for video games like HDMI 4 or something?

It seems like some TV's only allow game mode on certain inputs so curious if that's the case with this TV.
They do have a label on them, but I don't think that is just for reference.
HDMI 4 is primarily intended for audio components, as it's the only port that supports ARC.

Haven't tested the availability of game mode on the other interfaces, but you are able to configure a type of connected equipment (if it isn't recognized by default) per port, so I would guys it is available on all ports.

Availabilty of game mode however is limited by other settings, so selection option X will disable option Y.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 37006 Old 05-02-2016, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked: 808
Quote:
I've been wondering what to do about the remote also. Are people using harmony remotes with this TV?

I have the TV, a cable box and an older Yamaha AVR I need to control. I'd like to avoid the Samsung remote as much as possible although I think I'll probably need it when using smart features.
i use harmony one. still alive and kicking but will be sad when it dies.
post #423 of 37006 Old 05-02-2016, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
Has anyone tried using one of those usb controllers other than IR controllers. I want to get one of amazon with the keyboard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #424 of 37006 Old 05-02-2016, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnnightowl View Post
I'm at a huge disadvantage here without much technical knowledge, but would love to hear opinions on whether I should be moving to this 55KS8000 TV set. My Panny plasma gave me the 7 blinks of death 3 weeks ago and so I grabbed a 55JU6500 at Costco. I absolutely love the picture quality of most content vs. the old plasma, but I'm experiencing extremely inconsistent motion judder, and at time sound sync. It's not limited to any particular channel or show. For example I'll watch the 8:00-8:30 Big Bang on TBS and be blown away by the picture, and then the 8:30-9:00 Big Bang on the same channel has intolerable judder or sound out of sync. It makes me wonder if my issue is my motion rate, or whether the content being provided by the cable provider (Comcast) itself is not up to snuff. Maybe 70% of what I watch is perfectly fine, the other 30% has judder ranging from mildly annoying to unwatchable. Here are my main questions:

1. Is this entirely the result of 120 motion rate from the JU6500 series?
2. Is this an issue at all related to content provided by TV stations and/or Comcast, and could improve in time?
3. Is the 240 motion rate on the KS8000 going to solve this, or make it less frequent?

I'm still well within the 90 day Costco return policy, and I flip flop on a show by show basis whether I should return it. I definitely don't want to return it and shell out $800 more just to experience the same thing. My brother suggested I just forget the 4K technology and go with a 1080P at half the price.
From my understanding it might be the provider. IF you get one show with no issues and another with. Try watching an action movie one Netflix and see if you get motion issues. However, you are correct. The ju6500 is 120 motion rate (60 hz actual) vs ks8000 240 motion rate (120 hz actual). That is one of the selling cues we use at BBY. You also have to consider the different processor and lighting being used.
post #425 of 37006 Old 05-02-2016, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 126
With the new interface, does it show the resolution info on Youtube?

1st 55js8002: Bad DSE - returned for replace
2nd 55js8002: Exactly the same thing - refund
55js9002: Panel R.I.P. (edge bleed after 1 year of use) - refund
55x900E: Great TV - hope it will last
post #426 of 37006 Old 05-02-2016, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green666 View Post
With the new interface, does it show the resolution info on Youtube?
You can tell the app to in the settings if you want.
green666 likes this.
post #427 of 37006 Old 05-02-2016, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The extra $100 off was enough to convince me to pick up the 55KS8000 from Best Buy yesterday, and after a quick calibration (modified version of Rting's settings) I'm extremely happy with everything so far. While the actual dimensions are almost the same size as my Panny 46PZ800U, the extra screen real estate is fantastic (not to mention that it weighs probably less than half as much).

I haven't explored any 4k content yet, but I watched a lot of basketball and streamed content from my PS4, and I am incredibly happy with the upscaling. Great black levels on Game of Thrones. I would occasionally notice a little light bleed along the top edge, but only when I was really looking for it; I didn't find it to be distracting at all. The Smart LED adjustments were slightly bothersome though, not sure if that's something I'll keep set to "High."

As far as gaming, I just tried it out for about 15 minutes to see the difference between Game mode and normal, and I'm very happy with the performance of Game mode thus far. Everything feels appropriately responsive, though I didn't do any extended playthroughs. I'll try some twitchier games this week and see how it responds. The input lag on Normal mode is brutal, so I'm very glad for Game mode (though I wish there was an quicker way to turn it on/off; maybe a Harmony macro?).

I'm very happy so far, though it's only been about 6-7 hours. I'll put it through its paces this week and see how it goes.
post #428 of 37006 Old 05-02-2016, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Does harmony have codes working with their remotes for the KS8000 series already?

I'm thinking about picking up a new harmony...Probably just the 650 version.

Quote:
post #429 of 37006 Old 05-02-2016, 03:23 PM

Isn't there some way to just change the settings on one of the HDMI inputs so that it always defaults to game mode when you go to that input?

Odd about the lag...I've seen a couple others posting that lag wasn't bad at all...even while not in game mode. Maybe there are some settings that are affecting it?

Would be curious to know your settings once you dial them in as I have this TV on order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mletzmann View Post
The extra $100 off was enough to convince me to pick up the 55KS8000 from Best Buy yesterday, and after a quick calibration (modified version of Rting's settings) I'm extremely happy with everything so far. While the actual dimensions are almost the same size as my Panny 46PZ800U, the extra screen real estate is fantastic (not to mention that it weighs probably less than half as much).

I haven't explored any 4k content yet, but I watched a lot of basketball and streamed content from my PS4, and I am incredibly happy with the upscaling. Great black levels on Game of Thrones. I would occasionally notice a little light bleed along the top edge, but only when I was really looking for it; I didn't find it to be distracting at all. The Smart LED adjustments were slightly bothersome though, not sure if that's something I'll keep set to "High."

As far as gaming, I just tried it out for about 15 minutes to see the difference between Game mode and normal, and I'm very happy with the performance of Game mode thus far. Everything feels appropriately responsive, though I didn't do any extended playthroughs. I'll try some twitchier games this week and see how it responds. The input lag on Normal mode is brutal, so I'm very glad for Game mode (though I wish there was an quicker way to turn it on/off; maybe a Harmony macro?).

I'm very happy so far, though it's only been about 6-7 hours. I'll put it through its paces this week and see how it goes.
post #430 of 37006 Old 05-02-2016, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Does harmony have codes working with their remotes for the KS8000 series already?

I have the Harmony Smart Control and have found that their database of codes does not have the discrete code for the Samsung HDMI 4 port - they have a work around that requires keeping a device plugged into another HDMI and keeping it active (On) at all times. It's a pain because of course HDMI 4 is the ARC connection.
post #431 of 37006 Old 05-02-2016, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Isn't there some way to just change the settings on one of the HDMI inputs so that it always defaults to game mode when you go to that input?

Odd about the lag...I've seen a couple others posting that lag wasn't bad at all...even while not in game mode. Maybe there are some settings that are affecting it?

Would be curious to know your settings once you dial them in as I have this TV on order.
While on that source go into Picture Setting, Expert Settings and you should be able to choose the setting to be for All Sources or just the one specific source (game console).
post #432 of 37006 Old 05-02-2016, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Quote:

Watch The Revenant on BluRay. That puppy looks great. The Snow,water and dark scenes really push the color reproduction. Or watch some 4k Surf videos that's a great test of your blur and judder settings.
post #433 of 37006 Old 05-02-2016, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

There is a way to assign different modes to different inputs, but I've got everything routed through my AVR, so I'm only using HDMI-1. Tonight I'll see if there's a way to create a shortcut you can keep in the App bar or something. Game Mode is not buried too deeply in the menus or anything, but it's still a few more clicks than I'd like to make every single time.

As for Normal Mode, it could be settings, but I was pretty happy with the performance of Game Mode so I'll likely stick with that. I'm gonna test out a few different games to see how it feels before I attempt to optimize anything (Street Fighter V will be the big test). Also, my definition of "brutal" input lag was from navigating the menus more than actual gameplay; after pressing down to select a new option if felt like a heartbeat or two before the cursor moved. Can't imagine playing a game like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANEWMadrid View Post
Watch The Revenant on BluRay. That puppy looks great. The Snow,water and dark scenes really push the color reproduction. Or watch some 4k Surf videos that's a great test of your blur and judder settings.
Just ordered a copy, thanks for the suggestion!
post #434 of 37006 Old 05-02-2016, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
I tried with my harmony one and it seems to work but has trouble switching inputs between hdmi 1,2,3,etc. maybe it's not fully ready yet. Also no buttons to make it go directly to an app like Netflix or Amazon.
tts42572 likes this.
post #435 of 37006 Old 05-02-2016, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I checked out the Costco version tonight. To be honest I was kinda thinking of returning my ks8000 for the darker bezel but the silver looks more premium to me. It doesn't affect viewing since it reflects darker anyways, and with 3 of 4 sizes being bezel-less, it's not distracting to me compared to last years' models with silver all around the bezel.

I actually think black would look better than the dark silver color. It reminded me a lot of my wife's dark gray car color, it kinda reflected shades a blue in Costco lighting (which I wasn't a fan of).

On a separate discussion point, I was wondering if other owners can see this on their model. In the pictures attached you can kinda see how looking up and under the top bezel is brighter (duh, it's edge lit) but I was wondering if others notice this? The one on display in store and mine at home (I checked when I got home) you can see this brighter lighting on the top edge. Would this be considered "edge bleed"? Can other owners do a similar check and sort of take a closer look at their top edge? I'm wondering how normal this is...this is my first edge lit lcd in awhile.

I also know the stores crank the backlight to max so that could be the cause of brighter top and bottom edges, although rtings noted this in the review.

Anyways, enjoy the pics and hopefully helps people get a better idea of the darker gray 800D model.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1462238281403.jpg
Views:	1394
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	1419186   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1462238297619.jpg
Views:	1216
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	1419194   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1462238310687.jpg
Views:	1233
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	1419202   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1462238322343.jpg
Views:	1108
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	1419210   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1462238333170.jpg
Views:	1087
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	1419218  

tts42572 likes this.
post #436 of 37006 Old 05-02-2016, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 107
That's the one I want! Does Costco offer day passes? I belong to Sam's, but haven't seen them there yet. No clue why manufacturers have been going to silver, black is always the best choice for video. I'm probably going to put black felt av tape on the bottom edge (cover that dang lit logo) and paint the legs, especially if I end up with the silver version.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
post #437 of 37006 Old 05-02-2016, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat View Post
That's the one I want! Does Costco offer day passes? I belong to Sam's, but haven't seen them there yet. No clue why manufacturers have been going to silver, black is always the best choice for video. I'm probably going to put black felt av tape on the bottom edge (cover that dang lit logo) and paint the legs, especially if I end up with the silver version.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
It's definitely more of a dark shiny pearly silver tone than black. The light can be turned off in the menu so no reason to put tape over it.

You can shop there if you find someone who is a member to put money on a Costco cash card.
tcat likes this.
post #438 of 37006 Old 05-03-2016, 05:35 AM

Cool pics.

I agree....Personally think the silver gives it a bit more of a higher end, modern look.

I initially was having a hard time wrapping myself around these silver TV's....And also with the wide triangle leg stands....But both have really grown on me.

Quote:
I checked out the Costco version tonight. To be honest I was kinda thinking of returning my ks8000 for the darker bezel but the silver looks more premium to me. It doesn't affect viewing since it reflects darker anyways, and with 3 of 4 sizes being bezel-less, it's not distracting to me compared to last years' models with silver all around the bezel.

I actually think black would look better than the dark silver color. It reminded me a lot of my wife's dark gray car color, it kinda reflected shades a blue in Costco lighting (which I wasn't a fan of).

On a separate discussion point, I was wondering if other owners can see this on their model. In the pictures attached you can kinda see how looking up and under the top bezel is brighter (duh, it's edge lit) but I was wondering if others notice this? The one on display in store and mine at home (I checked when I got home) you can see this brighter lighting on the top edge. Would this be considered "edge bleed"? Can other owners do a similar check and sort of take a closer look at their top edge? I'm wondering how normal this is...this is my first edge lit lcd in awhile.

I also know the stores crank the backlight to max so that could be the cause of brighter top and bottom edges, although rtings noted this in the review.

Anyways, enjoy the pics and hopefully helps people get a better idea of the darker gray 800D model.
post #439 of 37006 Old 05-03-2016, 06:03 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

The top few centimeters of my screen is slightly brighter, but not as bright as the pics. I also noticed this on the display units in Best Buy and HH Gregg. To be honest, I hardly notice it when I watching TV / playing games. My wife and I watched a movie the other day and you couldn't even tell.

Basement - LG OLED65C7P / Oppo UDP-203 / Sonos 5.1 / Xbox One X / PlayStation 4 Pro / Switch
Living Room - Sony XBR65X930D / Sonos 5.0
Bedroom - Sony KDL50W800C
post #440 of 37006 Old 05-03-2016, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromb24 View Post
The top few centimeters of my screen is slightly brighter, but not as bright as the pics. I also noticed this on the display units in Best Buy and HH Gregg. To be honest, I hardly notice it when I watching TV / playing games. My wife and I watched a movie the other day and you couldn't even tell.
thanks, obviously in the costco pics i took they have brightness cranked to 20 (max) so it will be more obvious. i sort of noticed it on my set but it's not distracting, i was just making sure it was normal per se and that i didn't need to exchange it. it's most obvious to me on blue colored screens (you can kinda see that in the costco pics i took). as i said too, when viewed straight on it's not really overly obvious...the pics i took at costco were looking up and under the tv since it was high on a shelf. i tried this at home too and it's more obvious with that angle (which is not a normal viewing angle).

anyways, i think the main thing i took away was i thought i was going to want the darker bezel version but after seeing it in person and already having the regular silver ks8000, i think i'll stick with what i got. i do need to get the costco $90 extended warranty though.
post #441 of 37006 Old 05-03-2016, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Same here. When I am centered I don't notice it. Depends on what angle you look at it from.
post #442 of 37006 Old 05-03-2016, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewhale1 View Post
Same here. When I am centered I don't notice it. Depends on what angle you look at it from.
Quote:
what settings are you guys using? picture mode and brightness levels? Smart led?

Last edited by guitarguy316; 05-03-2016 at 08:49 AM.
post #443 of 37006 Old 05-03-2016, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Quote:
Ah, I meant the option to choose the resolution, like on regular Youtube. On my 2015 interface i have the option to see the original res, and then you can see how many fake 4k videos are around, for shame.

1st 55js8002: Bad DSE - returned for replace
2nd 55js8002: Exactly the same thing - refund
55js9002: Panel R.I.P. (edge bleed after 1 year of use) - refund
55x900E: Great TV - hope it will last
post #444 of 37006 Old 05-03-2016, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green666 View Post
Quote:
Ah, I meant the option to choose the resolution, like on regular Youtube. On my 2015 interface i have the option to see the original res, and then you can see how many fake 4k videos are around, for shame.
No it auto selects on the ks series
post #445 of 37006 Old 05-03-2016, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
what settings are you guys using? picture mode and brightness levels? Smart led?
Mode - Movie
Game Mode - Off
Sports Mode - Off
Backlight - 8
Brightens - 45
Contrast - 100
Sharpness - 0
Color - 50
Tiny - 50
All Picture Settings - All Sources
Digital Clean View - Off
Auto Motion Plus - Custom
Blur Reduction - 2
Judder Reduction - 2
LED Clear Motion - Off
Smart LED - High
Film Mode - Off (greyed out)
HDMI UHD Color - "on" only on the input with the 4K Blu-Ray Player
HDMI Black Level - Auto
Dynamic Contrast - High
Color Tone - Warm1
White Balance - Nothing changed
Gamma - 0
RGB Only Mode - Off
Color Space - Auto
Quaan likes this.

Basement - LG OLED65C7P / Oppo UDP-203 / Sonos 5.1 / Xbox One X / PlayStation 4 Pro / Switch
Living Room - Sony XBR65X930D / Sonos 5.0
Bedroom - Sony KDL50W800C
post #446 of 37006 Old 05-03-2016, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Just a quick thank you to mod PooperScooper for changing the title of the thread for me. Much appreciated.
PTV Programmer likes this.

Last edited by bluewhale1; 05-03-2016 at 11:30 AM.
post #447 of 37006 Old 05-03-2016, 10:43 AM

Are the smart features on this TV their own input?

Basically, I'm struggling to know how I want to hook this KS8000 TV into my existing setup and be able to use my existing AVR with the smart features of TV.

Currently, I have a Yamaha 663 receiver that doesn't do ARC and only passes 1080P signals. I also have a cable box and PS4. In my old setup, I just had the cable box and ps4 connected to the AVR with one HDMI cable running to the TV. This worked fine and gave me 5.1 sound with everything and I know video was being passed.

With the new TV though, I'm not sure how I should connect. At the moment, it might not be a huge deal since I don't have 4K sources.

Would you just leave the cable box and PS4 running to my AVR and run 1 HDMI cable to the new TV? And then run an optical audio cable from the TV back to the AVR for when I use smart features? How would I go about telling the TV to use optical out when using smart features?

Or would I be better just hooking the cable box, PS4 all directly to the TV and then just using the optical audio for all audio output? Would that knocking down the quality of my audio when using the PS4?

I was debating just getting a new AVR just so that I'm ready once I start adding 4K sources but not sure it's really necessary.

Is it as simple as just saying that any 4K source should be plugged directly to the TV using optical audio and any non 4K source can just be connected to my AVR the "old" way?
post #448 of 37006 Old 05-03-2016, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Glad to hear you're enjoying it! I ordered one myself which should arrive on Saturday. My only concern with this set is the motion blur measured on the RTINGS review. Was this something you noticed when gaming?
Thanks!
post #449 of 37006 Old 05-03-2016, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Quote:

Basically, I'm struggling to know how I want to hook this KS8000 TV into my existing setup and be able to use my existing AVR with the smart features of TV.

Currently, I have a Yamaha 663 receiver that doesn't do ARC and only passes 1080P signals. I also have a cable box and PS4. In my old setup, I just had the cable box and ps4 connected to the AVR with one HDMI cable running to the TV. This worked fine and gave me 5.1 sound with everything and I know video was being passed.

With the new TV though, I'm not sure how I should connect. At the moment, it might not be a huge deal since I don't have 4K sources.

Would you just leave the cable box and PS4 running to my AVR and run 1 HDMI cable to the new TV? And then run an optical audio cable from the TV back to the AVR for when I use smart features? How would I go about telling the TV to use optical out when using smart features?

Or would I be better just hooking the cable box, PS4 all directly to the TV and then just using the optical audio for all audio output? Would that knocking down the quality of my audio when using the PS4?

I was debating just getting a new AVR just so that I'm ready once I start adding 4K sources but not sure it's really necessary.

Is it as simple as just saying that any 4K source should be plugged directly to the TV using optical audio and any non 4K source can just be connected to my AVR the "old" way?
The OCB makes this real easy as it's external and literally can be right next to your AVR and other components. So you can keep doing what you are now and just connect the optical to available input on the AVR or you can just use all the inputs available on the OCB. Not having to have seriously long cables is great.
post #450 of 37006 Old 05-03-2016, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Run everything you currently have through Avr. You don't want the tv to decode and then try to output back to Avr. Use a cable to connect tv to Avr to get app audio.
tts42572 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
denon s740h , extra , hdmi input , KS8000/KS8500 , no picture , one connect fail , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page