Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 180208Likes

post #451 of 37006 Old 05-03-2016, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Thanks...That's what I'm thinking.

I think if I start adding any 4K sources at some point I'll look into a new AVR. It probably isn't necessary at all right now though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
Run everything you currently have through Avr. You don't want the tv to decode and then try to output back to Avr. Use a cable to connect tv to Avr to get app audio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 37006 Old 05-03-2016, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by tts42572 View Post
Thanks...That's what I'm thinking.

I think if I start adding any 4K sources at some point I'll look into a new AVR. It probably isn't necessary at all right now though.

Quote:
Run everything you currently have through Avr. You don't want the tv to decode and then try to output back to Avr. Use a cable to connect tv to Avr to get app audio.
I do this. But remember if you only use 1 input on the OCB your settings will affect all devices i.e. Blu-ray player, gaming console.
post #453 of 37006 Old 05-03-2016, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANEWMadrid View Post
I do this. But remember if you only use 1 input on the OCB your settings will affect all devices i.e. Blu-ray player, gaming console.
In general can you please say what settings are per input, what settings are per mode, and what settings are per input and per mode? I'm assuming multiple inputs can use Movie mode. Can I have Input 1 and Input 2 both using Movie mode and have independent picture calibrations for Input 1 and Input 2? Or is it that Movie mode just has one calibration, regardless of how many inputs use it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #454 of 37006 Old 05-03-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoGeek View Post
In general can you please say what settings are per input, what settings are per mode, and what settings are per input and per mode? I'm assuming multiple inputs can use Movie mode. Can I have Input 1 and Input 2 both using Movie mode and have independent picture calibrations for Input 1 and Input 2? Or is it that Movie mode just has one calibration, regardless of how many inputs use it?
I believe this was answered earlier in the thread. But yes multiple inputs can use the same modes and are independently adjustable. You just save to that particular "input" not the all input option.
CosmoGeek likes this.
post #455 of 37006 Old 05-03-2016, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 47
That's a good point....

So if I want the PS4 to always be using game mode for example, I might be better off connecting right to the one connect box so it would have it's own input? I'm not going to want to keep jumping around between game mode, movie mode, etc. I'll just want like HDMI 1 to be my cable TV watching and HDMI 2 to be gaming in game mode.

Maybe I'd be better off connecting everything to the OCB and then just using audio out for all inputs.

I never needed game mode on my current TV so it wasn't a big deal...Might be now though.

Dreading the hookup thing...Probably will be some settings in my AVR I'll have to mess with also. It's been about 9 years since I've even had to mess with it....Luckily I still have the manual.

Quote:
post #456 of 37006 Old 05-03-2016, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
After spending a little more time with Game Mode last night, I'm really liking the lack of (perceptible) input lag. I've never been great at Street Fighter, but SFV felt as fast as it should on button presses, so I won't be able to blame my losses on the new TV.

One thing I've noticed about Game Mode is that it turns the Sharpness up really high. I popped in GTAV just to see how it looked, and on the still images on the loading screens there was some minor aritfacting and... the only way I can describe it is aliasing, but it's a still image so it's not that. Certain parts of the still image (long straight lines) would get a little jaggy as the slowly drifted across the screen.

In SFV, some areas of the character self-shadows (the area under a character's chin, for example) seemed off. In some cases, it seemed like instead of being "solid" shadows, they were actually halftones (like newsprint). I've checked some 1080p screenshots online and can't find anything like what I'm seeing when Game Mode is active. I'll try to take some photos tonight to better demonstrate.

Overall, the image quality is still great, and these are very minor quibbles. It's another thing that I don't really know I'd notice if I wasn't looking for it. I'm definitely going to have to see whether or not the Sharpness can be turned down a few notches while in Game Mode tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ11 View Post
Glad to hear you're enjoying it! I ordered one myself which should arrive on Saturday. My only concern with this set is the motion blur measured on the RTINGS review. Was this something you noticed when gaming?
Thanks!
I have not seen any issues with motion blur while gaming. Admittedly, I still haven't had a ton of time to dedicate to gaming, but SFV is a fast moving game, and after sitting with it for 45 minutes last night I don't think it'll be an issue.

I did notice, and this is likely not the fault of the TV but the cable signal, that during a Ford commercial when the camera would whip pan the picture would get really blocky for a moment before clearing up. It never happened during the basketball game or anything else I watched last night, only during this one specific commercial, during the super quick camera movements. My cable signal is 720p, outputting at 1080i, and who knows what bit rate the commercial was encoded at, so I'm hesitant to lay blame on the TV just yet. I'll keep my eyes open as time goes on to see if the issue pops up anywhere else.
post #457 of 37006 Old 05-03-2016, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tts42572 View Post
That's a good point....

So if I want the PS4 to always be using game mode for example, I might be better off connecting right to the one connect box so it would have it's own input? I'm not going to want to keep jumping around between game mode, movie mode, etc. I'll just want like HDMI 1 to be my cable TV watching and HDMI 2 to be gaming in game mode.

Maybe I'd be better off connecting everything to the OCB and then just using audio out for all inputs.

I never needed game mode on my current TV so it wasn't a big deal...Might be now though.

Dreading the hookup thing...Probably will be some settings in my AVR I'll have to mess with also. It's been about 9 years since I've even had to mess with it....Luckily I still have the manual.
excatly. if you want independent control you need to use the separate inputs. i don't use game mode at all and I play Destiny on my PS4. however lag is shorter than my old 4k set so that was a bonus for me. I just keep mine in Standard but still have been playing with Judder and Blur to get the right look. I am actually a fan of light SOE as I think it makes the images pop.
post #458 of 37006 Old 05-03-2016, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cydeweyz View Post
At Costco. Only see the 65"
Less than a month ago i've bought the JS9000 from Costco. Does it make sense to exchange it for KS8500?
post #459 of 37006 Old 05-03-2016, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
For those that have 65" models....
Could you look and see what panel versions you have? I went to BB today and they had IS02 and AA02
panels. I could not see what the display model was since it was on the wall. You would think this model would have one panel mfg.
Scotra likes this.
post #460 of 37006 Old 05-03-2016, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngeorgieff View Post
Less than a month ago i've bought the JS9000 from Costco. Does it make sense to exchange it for KS8500?
Does it have HDR, tizen OS, new remote? Not familiar with that model.Does it have the cinema black option? Maybe good to keep if it has that as these newer models don't have. Can you upgrade the OCB for the new one?

But most importantly if you are digging the JS then might as well keep it.
post #461 of 37006 Old 05-03-2016, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mletzmann View Post
After spending a little more time with Game Mode last night, I'm really liking the lack of (perceptible) input lag. I've never been great at Street Fighter, but SFV felt as fast as it should on button presses, so I won't be able to blame my losses on the new TV.

One thing I've noticed about Game Mode is that it turns the Sharpness up really high. I popped in GTAV just to see how it looked, and on the still images on the loading screens there was some minor aritfacting and... the only way I can describe it is aliasing, but it's a still image so it's not that. Certain parts of the still image (long straight lines) would get a little jaggy as the slowly drifted across the screen.

In SFV, some areas of the character self-shadows (the area under a character's chin, for example) seemed off. In some cases, it seemed like instead of being "solid" shadows, they were actually halftones (like newsprint). I've checked some 1080p screenshots online and can't find anything like what I'm seeing when Game Mode is active. I'll try to take some photos tonight to better demonstrate.

Overall, the image quality is still great, and these are very minor quibbles. It's another thing that I don't really know I'd notice if I wasn't looking for it. I'm definitely going to have to see whether or not the Sharpness can be turned down a few notches while in Game Mode tonight.

I have not seen any issues with motion blur while gaming. Admittedly, I still haven't had a ton of time to dedicate to gaming, but SFV is a fast moving game, and after sitting with it for 45 minutes last night I don't think it'll be an issue.
Thanks for the response! I can personally confirm that on last year's Samsung TVs, sharpness defaults to 50 in Game Mode so if you haven't set it manually that might explain what you are seeing, but I'll take a look at the images you upload later and see if my set behaves the same way. Also, glad to hear motion blur isn't a noticeable issue
Scotra likes this.
post #462 of 37006 Old 05-03-2016, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Does it have HDR, tizen OS, new remote? Not familiar with that model.Does it have the cinema black option? Maybe good to keep if it has that as these newer models don't have. Can you upgrade the OCB for the new one?

JS9000 have Tizen, HDR, New remote, One Connect box, Cinema Black but it's not as bright as KS8500 and have less reflection.
post #463 of 37006 Old 05-03-2016, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucktownsteve View Post
Could you look and see what panel versions you have? I went to BB today and they had IS02 and AA02
panels. I could not see what the display model was since it was on the wall. You would think this model would have one panel mfg.
Mine is AA02 made in Mexico and it came with a bottle of some great Anejo tequila. hahah. but seriously AA02
post #464 of 37006 Old 05-03-2016, 03:23 PM

Quote:
JS9000 have Tizen, HDR, New remote, One Connect box, Cinema Black but it's not as bright as KS8500 and have less reflection.
sounds like it's pretty nice. unless you want to have the latest and greatest or not happy, why exchange in.
post #465 of 37006 Old 05-03-2016, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1329 Post(s)
Liked: 1184
Quote:
no, keep JS9000.
post #466 of 37006 Old 05-03-2016, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked: 808
Quote:
Quote:

Is cinema black a hardware or software thing? Wondering if it could be added to KS series.
post #467 of 37006 Old 05-03-2016, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Is cinema black a hardware or software thing? Wondering if it could be added to KS series.
Software, but since the LEDs are now on top and bottom I don't know how they can do it. They used to be on the sides vertical so they could dim the black bars out as nothing was being shown.
post #468 of 37006 Old 05-03-2016, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Compare them side to side-

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-...ra-hd-uhd/best
post #469 of 37006 Old 05-03-2016, 04:01 PM

[quote=cydeweyz;43763506]Compare them side to side-

Both models are very similar in terms of performance:
Product Year Movies & TV Sports Video Games Living Room Sound Overall Our Reviews
Samsung JS9000 2015 48" 55" 65" 8.2 8.5 9.1 7.1 6.5 8.2 See review
Samsung KS8000 2016 49" 55" 65" 8.7 7.5 8.3 8.2 6.6 8.2 See review
post #470 of 37006 Old 05-03-2016, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Product Year Movies & TV Sports Video Games Living Room Sound Overall Our Reviews
Movies and Living Room categories mean more to me than Sports and Video Games. In addition, you'd lose Cinema Black moving from J to K. I'm not sure if that is a problem. It's disappointing, but no one seems to say that's a serious weakness for the KS series
post #471 of 37006 Old 05-03-2016, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Movies and Living Room categories mean more to me than Sports and Video Games. In addition, you'd lose Cinema Black moving from J to K. I'm not sure if that is a problem. It's disappointing, but no one seems to say that's a serious weakness for the KS series
I've watched 2 movies with black bars and they are generally black. With the smart led function it does brighten and dim in pretty big sections so the bars sometimes brighten up sometimes. I wish they could implement cinema black but in practice i have no idea how well it worked in previous models since this is my first Samsung in years.
post #472 of 37006 Old 05-03-2016, 04:27 PM

Quote:
I will stop @ BestBuy to see the KS model.
post #473 of 37006 Old 05-03-2016, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I've seen the JS9000 and the KS8000 side by side and honestly I think the KS8000 has a better picture. It maybe worth going to some places and looking. The JS9000 has 3D right? If you don't care about loosing that capability then I'd switch, but thats me.

post #474 of 37006 Old 05-03-2016, 04:40 PM

I don't really care about the 3D. I have a lot of windows in the room so reflection and brightness are important.
post #475 of 37006 Old 05-03-2016, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
On the box of my 65KS8000 it says FA01, does anyone know how to access the service menu to see the actual model?
post #476 of 37006 Old 05-03-2016, 05:40 PM

Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mletzmann View Post

I did notice, and this is likely not the fault of the TV but the cable signal, that during a Ford commercial when the camera would whip pan the picture would get really blocky for a moment before clearing up. It never happened during the basketball game or anything else I watched last night, only during this one specific commercial, during the super quick camera movements. My cable signal is 720p, outputting at 1080i, and who knows what bit rate the commercial was encoded at, so I'm hesitant to lay blame on the TV just yet. I'll keep my eyes open as time goes on to see if the issue pops up anywhere else.
My 65 inch should be here Thursday and this is what I've been curious on. What does gaming mode do to the picture? I have everything passing through my AVR and use my PS4 for blu rays. I'd rather just have 1 input mode and not sure if should always keep it in gaming mode or movie mode or keep switching depending on what I am doing.

Plus I have the Denon avr-s710w so it will pass 4k an HDR. Not really relevant for the PS4 but I was hoping to never run more than my AVR hdmi to the TV.
post #477 of 37006 Old 05-03-2016, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't really care about the 3D. I have a lot of windows in the room so reflection and brightness are important.
I have a bright room and this tv gets bright. Also tried a js8500 last year but too many reflections. This new moth eye is a lot better in daylight and stuff. If I turn on a light directly at tv you still get some glare but nobody does that with their lights. I think it rated best of any tv with glare on rtings.
post #478 of 37006 Old 05-03-2016, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkersky View Post
Quote:
On the box of my 65KS8000 it says FA01, does anyone know how to access the service menu to see the actual model?
My 65KS8000 says "Version AA02". No idea the difference?
post #479 of 37006 Old 05-03-2016, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Was looking at the Costco model 65KS800D today and the ver. was FA01 , which is a Samsung panel. Nice set. Time to upgrade from my 60JS8000.
post #480 of 37006 Old 05-03-2016, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkersky View Post
Quote:
I think it has to do with the manufacturing company of the lcd screen, FA01 is the one rting reviewed too but I'm not sure about the differences, if any.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
denon s740h , extra , hdmi input , KS8000/KS8500 , no picture , one connect fail , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page