Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 181 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 180309Likes

post #5401 of 37152 Old 08-18-2016, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by goatmonger View Post

It's like the KS8000 can't see past the Denon to detect the many devices on the other side. I know some HDMI-CEC commands get through though. The FireTV, for example, can make the TV switch inputs for it if I press a button on the FireTV remote. But I need to have manual control over this because CEC commands aren't 100% reliable.

Some people have mentioned manually adding each device (eg FireTV, PS3, CCast) but I cannot see a way to do that. Can anyone tell me how they did this?

Much thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminader View Post
I had a similar problem and then I sourced through the OneConnectBox sending audio to my Denon S720W. I like this approach better, but you do lose sound modes above 5.1. See my earlier post from today.

There's no right way, just options and your preference.
Thanks for the reply Terminader. Maybe there's no right way, but what I need to know is whether there is ANY way to do what I want (select sources using the TV remote, when the sources are hooked in through the receiver). The OneConnectBox doesn't have enough inputs for all my devices, unfortunately, which is why I wanted to use my receiver for the HDMI switching control center.

Or was your "right way" statement referring to the audio?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5402 of 37152 Old 08-18-2016, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcolorblack View Post
I just got the 65KS8000 and I have just two questions. One, when I watch Netflix content that is HDR on the TV's app, it doesn't look like its on. When I do it on my Xbox one s it says that HDR content is showing and it looks great. Two, dose this tv stream amazon content in 4k?
I haven't specifically watched Netflix via the built-in app yet. But I have watched Amazon HDR content via the app, and it definitely works. Under the "Picture" mode setting, have you enabled Special Viewing Mode->HDR+ ? When you're watching the Netflix app, you can press the "123" button on the remote and then select the 'i' (Info) soft-button to see what resolution is being displayed (as documented elsewhere in this thread).

Donnie
Rekkapryde likes this.
post #5403 of 37152 Old 08-18-2016, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked: 3284
Quote:
Originally Posted by goatmonger View Post
Thanks for the reply Terminader. Maybe there's no right way, but what I need to know is whether there is ANY way to do what I want (select sources using the TV remote, when the sources are hooked in through the receiver). The OneConnectBox doesn't have enough inputs for all my devices, unfortunately, which is why I wanted to use my receiver for the HDMI switching control center.

Or was your "right way" statement referring to the audio?
The only devices you MUST have connected to your AVR would be those capable of providing better than 5.1 Dolby Digital and/or DTS audio...everything else can be connected to the TV's OCB. And get a Harmony remote...you'll save yourself a lot of headaches and spend more time enjoying your gear.
Expidia likes this.

Definition of "Stupid": Knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the lies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5404 of 37152 Old 08-18-2016, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by wapvi View Post
Well im sure for u its a good deal since its very cheap in the us but for me i paid 2300 usd for a ue55ks8500 which turns out to be a 7 series in the eu...now im going to Samsung to talk to them about this upsetting story

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Then I would return it and get what you originally wanted. Honestly though, much ado about nothing. I drive a 2000 Mercury Mountaineer which is constantly called a Ford Explorer (and it is) when I take it into my mechanic and do I stress about it? No, I correct them and drive off in my truck, SUV, whatever

Official Samsung KS8000/8500 Owners Information PDF
Living Room: LG 55LE5500 Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360 w/Kinect
Bedroom: VIZIO E470VL VIZIO VSB200 Sound Bar Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360
Inner Sanctum: Samsung 65KS8000, Halo XBox One, GoW Xbox 360, Onkyo HT-S5300
post #5405 of 37152 Old 08-18-2016, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Gniotek View Post
@ layzzzee8 Thank you for answering me!!! I definitely do not have the top tier of Netflix but for it only being 1080p (Do over) with HDR+ ON wow what a difference.

Anyway with this Harmony remote 700, is their a way you can walk me thru it? I tried & tried just don't get it. This is what I have/do I start from here- [IMG][/IMG]
I have since moved on to the Harmony Home Companion remote so it's a completely different interface. I did have it set up with my harmony one with the interface you were using so I can try to walk you through it. Send me a screenshot of the entirety of that screen as well as the settings screen for that activity via Private Message. I don't want to flood the forum with back and forth troubleshooting.
post #5406 of 37152 Old 08-18-2016, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Quoted: 6260 Post(s)
Liked: 9113
Quote:
Originally Posted by adhalejr View Post
I haven't specifically watched Netflix via the built-in app yet. But I have watched Amazon HDR content via the app, and it definitely works. Under the "Picture" mode setting, have you enabled Special Viewing Mode->HDR+ ? When you're watching the Netflix app, you can press the "123" button on the remote and then select the 'i' (Info) soft-button to see what resolution is being displayed (as documented elsewhere in this thread).

Donnie
Sorry, but that's misleading advice. HDR+ mode is for simulating an HDR effect for non-HDR material. Think of it like up-mixing a stereo CD to 5.1 instead of listening to a real 5.1 soundtrack. You don't need to touch that option on proper HDR content (you can if you insists, but it's not advised for videophiles).

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #5407 of 37152 Old 08-18-2016, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Sorry, but that's misleading advice. HDR+ mode is for simulating an HDR effect for non-HDR material. Think of it like up-mixing a stereo CD to 5.1 instead of listening to a real 5.1 soundtrack. You don't need to touch that option on proper HDR content (you can if you insists, but it's not advised for videophiles).
Correct. However make sure you are in the Movie (or Standard in the UK) picture mode and HDR will kick in automatically.
Larry Rosenberg likes this.
post #5408 of 37152 Old 08-18-2016, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blenky View Post
Correct. However make sure you are in the Movie (or Standard in the UK) picture mode and HDR will kick in automatically.
Absolutely. If you're in Natural or Dynamic - and who would be - HDR won't work at all.
Larry Rosenberg likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #5409 of 37152 Old 08-18-2016, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Donster View Post
Then I would return it and get what you originally wanted. Honestly though, much ado about nothing. I drive a 2000 Mercury Mountaineer which is constantly called a Ford Explorer (and it is) when I take it into my mechanic and do I stress about it? No, I correct them and drive off in my truck, SUV, whatever
Just like the accura and honda accord but i was duped into thinking i was buying the european 8 series, even though it says ue55ks8500 it's the same as the US one

post #5410 of 37152 Old 08-18-2016, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just like the accura and honda accord but i was duped into thinking i was buying the european 8 series, even though it says ue55ks8500 it's the same as the US one
False, again. You seem to be immune to logic.
Ralarcon likes this.

post #5411 of 37152 Old 08-18-2016, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
False, again. You seem to be immune to logic.
Lol i dont really understand ur point really and im trying very hard and I'm an engineer...you buy bmw 535i thinking its a 535i at least thats xhat the badge says then u pay xxx amount for it turns out its a 525i branded 535i which costs 20% less...

post #5412 of 37152 Old 08-18-2016, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked: 380
I have had a KS800D for two days now.

I want to try some HDR programming. I have Amazon Prime but I cannot find any such programming (I do not even know how it would be listed.)

Three questions please:

1) Is there be some free HDR content for Prime members? How do I find it via the KS800D's Amazon application?

2) Are there any specific must-use settings in the KS TV to set to get HDR? If so, what? Also I have backlight at 4 since I watch in a dark room. Does it need to be at 20 to get full benefits of HDR?

3) Is there any information or alert screen in the TV that will confirm that it is displaying actual HDR content while I am watching it? If so, how do I find that information?
post #5413 of 37152 Old 08-18-2016, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Lol i dont really understand ur point really and im trying very hard and I'm an engineer...you buy bmw 535i thinking its a 535i at least thats xhat the badge says then u pay xxx amount for it turns out its a 525i branded 535i which costs 20% less...

I'll give it a shot. You seem to like euphemisms. A certain bar of soap is called, Equate 4000 in the US., Walmart 200 in Germany, and Dial 7000 in China. Same bar of soap, same color and components , made by the same manufacturer with different names.

Cheers
The_Donster and mrtickleuk like this.

Last edited by Ralarcon; 08-18-2016 at 12:34 PM.
post #5414 of 37152 Old 08-18-2016, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by checker9 View Post

I want to try some HDR programming. I have Amazon Prime but I cannot find any such programming (I do not even know how it would be listed.)

Three questions please:

1) Is there be some free HDR content for Prime members? How do I find it via the KS800D's Amazon application?

2) Are there any specific must-use settings in the KS TV to set to get HDR? If so, what? Also I have backlight at 4 since I watch in a dark room. Does it need to be at 20 to get full benefits of HDR?

3) Is there any information or alert screen in the TV that will confirm that it is displaying actual HDR content while I am watching it? If so, how do I find that information?
From the FAQ (shameless plug):
Quote:
Q: How do I watch 4k/UHD content?
A: Unfortunately there are no networks in the US that are broadcasting any channels in 4k, so you will need to resort to use other means. If you are streaming, be sure you have a fast enough internet connection! You need a minimum of 30-50 Mbps. If you have adequate connection speed, here are some options:
Netflix app: Be sure that you must be on the highest subscription tier (4 devices, 4k enabled). The Netflix app should have a dedicated category for 4k content.
Amazon app: You need to watch the UHD versions of the shows (not the regular HD versions). You can either find these shows by scrolling down (a lot, maybe 15 categories down) to the 4k/UHD sections, or you can search with the text "4k".

Q: Where can I find HDR content?
A: Good list: Master List of currently available 4k HDR titles, will be updated often.
Outside of Netflix and Amazon, you can also download HDR content and play it from a USB drive.

Q: How do I watch HDR content?
A: You must make sure you are watching HDR content. See above for a list of HDR content.
For Netflix and Amazon, you need to be watching the 4k/UHD versions. See above for how to watch 4k/UHD content.

Q: What is HDR mode, and how do I use it?
A: HDR mode is a separate mode specifically for HDR content. You cannot explicitly select the mode, but the TV switches to it automatically.
As of firmware version 1114: To enable HDR mode, you must be in Movie mode. If you are in Movie mode, the TV automatically switches to HDR mode when you start watching HDR content.
As with other modes, HDR mode has a separate set of settings. If you are in HDR mode and change a setting, the TV will remember it and use it the next time you watch an HDR video.
The default Backlight setting for HDR mode is 20 (max).
You will have NO explicit notification that you are watching HDR content (or HDR mode is enabled) if watching from Netflix or Amazon.
Assuming you did not change the HDR mode Backlight setting from its default, the best way to tell if HDR mode is enabled is that your Backlight setting will change from your regular Movie mode value to 20.
Alternatively, you can see how the picture changes with Dynamic Contrast settings. With SDR content, a higher Dynamic Contrast setting will often darken the image, while with HDR content, a higher Dynamic Contrast setting will brighten the image.
More good info in the FAQ.

Your backlight doesn't *have* to be 20, but part of the point of HDR is to get brighter, higher definition highlights, which you can only get with a high Backlight setting. In the end, use what you're comfortable with.

You won't get any special notifications that you're watching HDR content, but on Amazon if you press the middle button, "HDR" should be highlighted in bold.
post #5415 of 37152 Old 08-18-2016, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:

Three questions please:

1) If you have Netflix then fire up Marco Polo. If not then this list is a few months old but should be useful: http://www.trustedreviews.com/how-to...on-hdr-streams

2) You must set the input to "Movie" mode in picture settings. Backlight setting is irrelevant (see next answer...)

3) The TV will automatically raise the backlight to 20 when it detects HDR content. This is your confirmation.
post #5416 of 37152 Old 08-18-2016, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbfreek View Post
From the FAQ (shameless plug):

More good info in the FAQ.

Your backlight doesn't *have* to be 20, but part of the point of HDR is to get brighter, higher definition highlights, which you can only get with a high Backlight setting. In the end, use what you're comfortable with.

You won't get any special notifications that you're watching HDR content, but on Amazon if you press the middle button, "HDR" should be highlighted in bold.
Thanks
The_Donster likes this.
post #5417 of 37152 Old 08-18-2016, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

checker9,

You should be able to sample "Mad Dogs" and "The Man In The High Castle" on Amazon without having a Prime membership. Don't do a search...just keep scrolling until you see the grouping for UHD TV series, and you will find them.
The_Donster likes this.

Definition of "Stupid": Knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the lies.
post #5418 of 37152 Old 08-18-2016, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post
checker9,

You should be able to sample "Mad Dogs" and "The Man In The High Castle" on Amazon without having a Prime membership. Don't do a search...just keep scrolling until you see the grouping for UHD TV series, and you will find them.
I have a Prime membership.
post #5419 of 37152 Old 08-18-2016, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
checker9,

Just keep scrolling until you see the grouping for UHD TV series, and you will find them.
I usually search for specific names. To just keep scrolling, what do you keep scrolling?
post #5420 of 37152 Old 08-18-2016, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have a Prime membership.
Excellent...both of those series will show you the best elements of HDR/UHD. "Mad Dogs" is a riot of color which can often look unnatural to some viewers, while "The Man in the High Castle" tends to be drab and moody in its look. Just set the input from which you launch the Smart Hub is set to "MOVIE" at its defaults, and you should be good to go. I have my UN65KS9000 set up so that it switches to the ANTENNA input (via commands from my Harmony remote) each time I want to use the Smart Hub. Just pick whichever input you use the least so that you can keep it on the "MOVIE" picture mode at all times...non-HDR 4K content from Netflix and Amazon looks fine in that mode as well.
The_Donster likes this.

post #5421 of 37152 Old 08-18-2016, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 100
So does HDR work in Standard Mode or just movie?
post #5422 of 37152 Old 08-18-2016, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I usually search for specific names. To just keep scrolling, what do you keep scrolling?
The search feature doesn't always bring up the correct versions, so once I'm logged into Prime Video I scroll down the listings until I reach the UHD TV Series, then scroll left to right to find a show I want to see. Add any titles you find interesting to your WATCH LIST, and they'll be easier to find next time.
The_Donster likes this.

post #5423 of 37152 Old 08-18-2016, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Excellent...both of those series will show you the best elements of HDR/UHD. "Mad Dogs" is a riot of color which can often look unnatural to some viewers, while "The Man in the High Castle" tends to be drab and moody in its look. Just set the input from which you launch the Smart Hub is set to "MOVIE" at its defaults, and you should be good to go. I have my UN65KS9000 set up so that it switches to the ANTENNA input (via commands from my Harmony remote) each time I want to use the Smart Hub. Just pick whichever input you use the least so that you can keep it on the "MOVIE" picture mode at all times...non-HDR 4K content from Netflix and Amazon looks fine in that mode as well.
Thanks. I have seen both series so it will actually be a good test to see something I have seen before. I found Mad Dogs UHD and it is on now. I was already in Movie mode. I noticed that my backlight went from 4 to 20 and most of the other settings were changed back to default, so it must have triggered HDR mode.

Question: I am watching the 2nd or 3rd episode of Mad Dogs, the one when the female detective is asking the characters questions in the kitchen area. The characters and the immediate surroundings around the characters definitely look very sharp and detailed (so I can tell it is in 4K etc.), but the walls/background surroundings are blurry and do not even look like HD. Is that how the video is, or does it indicate other problems. Also when they leave the house, it is the same way (characters and immediate surroundings are 4K but far surroundings do not even seem HD.)

Note: I am connected via Ethernet, and my bandwith is around 70-80 Mbps so I should be getting full content.

Last edited by checker9; 08-18-2016 at 12:59 PM.
post #5424 of 37152 Old 08-18-2016, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceX View Post
So does HDR work in Standard Mode or just movie?
I believe it works in both modes, but the UHD Alliance has only certified MOVIE mode as being able to provide the best HDR picture (accurate colors, black levels, fleshtones, etc.).
King Richard likes this.

post #5425 of 37152 Old 08-18-2016, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Thanks for reply. Ive always found movie mode makes things yellow...so i assumed it messed colors up too much.

Also we had some people saying you can have HDR in game mode and some cant. Anyone else here able to use HDR and game mode on netflix and the HDR work correctly?
post #5426 of 37152 Old 08-18-2016, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceX View Post
Thanks for reply. Ive always found movie mode makes things yellow...so i assumed it messed colors up too much.

Also we had some people saying you can have HDR in game mode and some cant. Anyone else here able to use HDR and game mode on netflix and the HDR work correctly?
Stay in Movie mode for a few days, also Color Temperature (don't remember the exact term in settings) should be at Warm2. Once you get accustomed to it, the other modes will make things too blue, eye searing, and messes colors up too much.
King Richard likes this.
post #5427 of 37152 Old 08-18-2016, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Costides View Post
Not really. The built in apps are the only way DD 5.1 is passing to the receiver.

The discussions on the other forums have been around any device plugged into the OCB can't legally pass anything but PCM audio to the receiver. Quoting someone from the Samsung forum:

If the original source is HDCP2.2 and it is connected to the TV One Connect, then the TV is prohibited (by the HDCP2.2 rules) from passing anything through directly. To conform to the rules, the TV must decode the source material and output PCM stereo. If this is true, then ANY source system that conforms to HDCP2.2 is going to have this problem and the One Connect box will essentially be useless as a mechanism to support input sources that are HDCP2.2 with Dolby. Everything that is HDCP2.2 will need to go to the receiver first and then the TV.

For the record, CEC is designed to facilitate control of AV hardware from a central device (the TV) up to 4 devices deep. For example TV -> One Connect box (level 1) -> AV receiver (level 2) -> DVD player or Roku or whatever (level 3). I think Samsung has much of this implemented, because the TV occasionally sees the level 3 devices until the CEC crashes on TV startup and all of the information is lost, as you experienced.
My reply was referring to your comment "1) Except for Netflix and Amazon Video apps all the other apps can't seem to pass Dolby Digital 5.1."

I am not sure if the HDCP2.2 does indeed block the DD5.1 pass through. I noticed when the TV is on ARC, my AVR shows DD and not PCM, so at least on the non-HDCP2.2 devices, it seems to pass DD5.1. I will try it on my Samsung UHD Blu-ray player and see if I can get DD5.1 via ARC.
post #5428 of 37152 Old 08-18-2016, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcheng122 View Post
Stay in Movie mode for a few days, also Color Temperature (don't remember the exact term in settings) should be at Warm2. Once you get accustomed to it, the other modes will make things too blue, eye searing, and messes colors up too much.
I like the "too blue, eye searing, and messes colors up too much" of the Standard picture mode when watching regular TV. Give it a few days watching everything in Standard picture mode, then you will find the Movie mode too yellowish, too dark, and dull the color too much.
post #5429 of 37152 Old 08-18-2016, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acefr View Post
I like the "too blue, eye searing, and messes colors up too much" of the Standard picture mode when watching regular TV. Give it a few days watching everything in Standard picture mode, then you will find the Movie mode too yellowish, too dark, and dull the color too much.
Actually, you can have your cake and eat it too: you should be able to keep the picture setting in MOVIE mode, then go to EXPERT SETTINGS, and set COLOR TONE to COOL.
Terminader and The_Donster like this.

post #5430 of 37152 Old 08-18-2016, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by acefr View Post
Will you cover the eye doctor expenses when my eyeballs are burned? =P

It's actually the Warm2 part that really makes things yellow, though it adheres most closely to the D6500 standard white studios use to create content. Many of us I think calibrate Standard for daytime viewing with light in the room and use Movie mode for dark viewing.
Rudy1, Terminader and King Richard like this.

Last edited by jkcheng122; 08-18-2016 at 02:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
denon s740h , extra , hdmi input , KS8000/KS8500 , no picture , one connect fail , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page