Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 21 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 180303Likes

post #601 of 37149 Old 05-07-2016, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat View Post
Think I'd wall mount it about 6-12" above the fp aimed slightly downward. Add a shelf on the left and right wall for nick knacks and speakers.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Great idea, tcat!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 37149 Old 05-07-2016, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2141 Post(s)
Liked: 823
i checked out all 4 models (9xxx, 8xxx) at another BB today while I was visiting a friend. They all had some light bleed to an extent, but at least 2 of them i had to work hard to find it, so there are definitely some better than others, while 1 of them it was a clear blur tint all the way across the top.

i'll probably get another or exchange mine and see if i can do better.
post #603 of 37149 Old 05-07-2016, 04:42 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1799 Post(s)
Liked: 4373
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTV Programmer View Post
Here's a pic of what I'd be facing if I replaced the 55" KS8000 with the 65" KS8000. The 65" would have to move up the wall about 4" and overlap the top of the fireplace mantle by about 12" (red arrow). It also means that the cable port drilled in my wall (red circle) would be exposed and unattractive. I could drill another port hole (smaller) higher up the wall that would be hidden by the 65" set and do drywall repair on the existing larger hole. The in-ceiling speaker positions (red stars) should be an issue as far as sound because the over TV footprint is nearly the same.

So basically I'm trying to decide if going up to the 65" is worth the effort and changed aesthetics?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat View Post
Think I'd wall mount it about 6-12" above the fp aimed slightly downward. Add a shelf on the left and right wall for nick knacks and speakers.

I think that extra 10" of TV would more than make up for the effort of re-locating that cable port.

I also agree with @tcat that the TV would look best mounted in the corner above the fireplace (with a fully-articulating wall mount).

Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #604 of 37149 Old 05-07-2016, 04:56 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
So does our series do RGB inputs? I'm looking at my xbox one and ps4. If I set them to limited the colors are pretty washed out. Setting them to rgb on the consoles themselves makes colors much deeper and blacks are black (not grey).

Maybe I don't have it setup right?

Set the TV's "HDMI Black Level" setting to "Normal" for a "Full-Range" (0-255) RGB signal (PC level).

Richard
kjhank likes this.
post #605 of 37149 Old 05-07-2016, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Calibration Settings?

Can anyone link me to calibration settings for the 65" 8000?
post #606 of 37149 Old 05-07-2016, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 47
What's the difference between "normal" and "auto" for this HDMI Black level setting in terms of picture quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richard View Post
Set the TV's "HDMI Black Level" setting to "Normal" for a "Full-Range" (0-255) RGB signal (PC level).

Richard
post #607 of 37149 Old 05-07-2016, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 2759 Post(s)
Liked: 2101
Hey guys,

Been doing a lot of comparisons for a TV upgrade (coming from an LG EC9300) to jump into 4k and HDR.

While my budget *can* go high enough to consider the KS9800 or Sony 940D or LG OLED B Series, I want to stay under $3k if possible for 65". The more and more I read about the KS8000 series, the more it seems like the best winner for my target budget. Without using the "active dimming" feature (I know it's edge lit), Rtings.com says the native contrast ratio is 0.015cd/m2...one the best natives I have ever seen outside of OLED or some of the last top tier Plasma's made. Everything I can see of this TV at Best Buy is fantastic. But testing blacks is impossible there. And the major hesitation I have is after watching the Blooming test on Rtings.com where they show a small white dot moving around an all black scene. There was some horrendous looking blooming. Obviously that was a torture test and not indicative of most real world content.

So, in all 100% honesty, how does the KS8000 do in a completely black room for reference level movie watching?
I know I will not get the same black level performance I am used to with the OLED, but will it come close? Will I get inky black bars on 2.35:1 movies or will there be a faint glow?

Thanks for the honest answers from owners.
post #608 of 37149 Old 05-07-2016, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 3
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sam...s8000/settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohithpalagiri View Post
Can anyone link me to calibration settings for the 65" 8000?
post #609 of 37149 Old 05-07-2016, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hey, new guy here. I just bought a 55KS8000 from Crutchfield, and I'm impressed with the set. Looks great, but I've had several issues so far. Not sure if it's been covered yet (Google search is useless), so here we go.

I have an Xbox One, Playstation 4, Roku 4, and PS3 all hooked up to my Denon 1913 receiver through HDMI, which is connected to the TV. Never had any connectivity issues with any of them, until I got this set. It doesn't recognize my receiver. At all. Firmware is updated on the receiver and TV. To troubleshoot, I hooked up each system directly to the Connect One box (each with its own HDMI port). The TV recognizes the Xbox One instantly. However, it doesn't recognize the PS4 or Roku. Nothing at all. When I power those on, the TV recognizes that something has just powered on, asking if I want to set up the device. I go to set it, and there is no picture. It sometimes recognizes the PS4's resolution, but not every time.

I connected the Xbox One to every HDMI port, and it works on every port (it only outputs stereo thru the optical, but that's a different battle). I swapped the Xbox One HDMI cable with the PS4 and Roku, and it still doesn't see those devices. Rebooted the PS4 in safe mode, and it still didn't work. I hooked up the PS4 to another TV, and everything is fine. So there seems to be an issue with the PS4, Roku, and Denon with this TV. I just don't know what the issues are, and what I would need to change.

More info....I purchased a Samsung 55JS7000 about a month ago, but am in the process of returning it (pic quality is meh). Everything worked on that set with no trouble. So what's the issue with the KS8000? Or are all of my devices somehow screwed up ?

Crutchfield offered to replace the set, and Samsung help was beyond useless. Sorry for the long post. It's a weird issue, and it's pissing me off.

TLDR: New TV doesn't recognize anything but my Xbox One. No video or audio from other devices. Tried troubleshooting several different methods, and nothing works. Could possibly be random settings I need to change? Or just try another set?
post #610 of 37149 Old 05-08-2016, 12:09 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Long time lurker, just purchased a KS8000 via Best Buy based on the reviews. Previously owned a 6000 series 46"

Anything that moves quickly on the screen, I'll use the Avengers as an example with Loki chasing Black Widow in the air, shows like multiple trails of him in the screenshot I took. This effect is replicated with all sorts and manner of customization unless I turn off Auto Motion, in which case I no longer have the Soap Opera effect I desire.

That said, unless I turn off Auto Motion it seems like all my content from Netflix to Blu-ray is suffering from reduced picture quality due to this. Is this normal, is it a potential sign of a bad panel? I thought the whole idea of Auto Motion was to reduce these sorts of things, not make it worse. Heck, my 6300 Series Samsung had 'some' distortion around quick moving objects but it was so minor as to not be an issue (ex: Optimus Prime flying in Dark of the Moon, or the skydiving marines later in the movie).

I'm really enjoying the quality of the set otherwise but this is a deal breaker unfortunately
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160508_030103_003.jpg
Views:	1204
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	1428834  
post #611 of 37149 Old 05-08-2016, 01:08 AM
Lionheart of AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tts42572 View Post
What's the difference between "normal" and "auto" for this HDMI Black level setting in terms of picture quality?

Please Note: The "HDMI Black Level" setting is only available (not "grayed-out") when the input signal, from a device connected to the TV via HDMI, is set to RGB.

All video discs, including Blu-rays, DVDs and Video CDs, are encoded as YCbCr which has a native "limited" color range of 16-235 (for 8-bit sources). Most HDMI devices (Blu-ray players, Satellite receivers, Cable boxes) will output a YCrCb signal. It is best to set these source components to output YCbCr not RGB.

An HDMI device that can output an RGB signal (Computer, Gaming console) can usually be set to output either a "limited" (Video level) color range of 16-235 or a "full" (PC level) color range of 0-255.

A "Full-Range" RGB signal of 0-255 refers to the number of color shades that are available in each of the Red, Green, and Blue channels (for a total of 16.78 million possible colors - ranging from Blacker-than-Black to Whiter-than-White). For a "Limited-Range" signal (16-235), a total 10.65 million colors/shades will be available.

When playing back a "Limited-Range" (16-235) RGB signal (Video level), you should set "HDMI Black Level" setting to "Low". When playing back a "Full-Range" (0-255) RGB signal (PC level), you should set it to "Normal".

But to answer your question, the "Auto" setting might not always switch the TV to the "Full" RGB mode when input a "Full-range" signal. Therefore, it is always preferable to switch it manually to match the input signal.

Again, when a YCrCb signal is detected, the "HDMI Black Level" setting will be unavailable ("grayed-out").

Richard
CosmoGeek and limitz like this.
post #612 of 37149 Old 05-08-2016, 05:17 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctm14 View Post
How many on the forum have pulled the trigger on this Buydig deal? It sounds too good to be true, but I see a few folks are receiving their panels. I am thinking about jumping in but wondering why Buydig does not have this TV available directly from their site. Is there any concern these are not Samsung authorized units?
This deal does confuse me. I have been told at BB and
HHG that they have to sell the samsung tvs at samsungs price setting. With all of them being authorized dealers,
How can Buydig sell for the lowlow price of $1899?
post #613 of 37149 Old 05-08-2016, 05:41 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Wade View Post
Long time lurker, just purchased a KS8000 via Best Buy based on the reviews. Previously owned a 6000 series 46"

Anything that moves quickly on the screen, I'll use the Avengers as an example with Loki chasing Black Widow in the air, shows like multiple trails of him in the screenshot I took. This effect is replicated with all sorts and manner of customization unless I turn off Auto Motion, in which case I no longer have the Soap Opera effect I desire.

That said, unless I turn off Auto Motion it seems like all my content from Netflix to Blu-ray is suffering from reduced picture quality due to this. Is this normal, is it a potential sign of a bad panel? I thought the whole idea of Auto Motion was to reduce these sorts of things, not make it worse. Heck, my 6300 Series Samsung had 'some' distortion around quick moving objects but it was so minor as to not be an issue (ex: Optimus Prime flying in Dark of the Moon, or the skydiving marines later in the movie).

I'm really enjoying the quality of the set otherwise but this is a deal breaker unfortunately

I'm seeing the same thing. My previous hu8550 did not have this behavior. I'm finding a setting of 3 and 3 on the motion and judder seem to help a little.
post #614 of 37149 Old 05-08-2016, 05:59 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammyav View Post
I would encourage everyone to try their calibration. I was having a hard time dialing this tv in (particularly for cable) and after rtings calibration, it looked a 100 times better!
post #615 of 37149 Old 05-08-2016, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 817
I noticed rtings has "Dynamic Contrast" off but no matter the source everything I've watched looks better with it on high. HDR with it off looks especially dark and dull, but when set to high it looks fantastic. Am I missing something?
post #616 of 37149 Old 05-08-2016, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I wonder if it's an issue with your TV....Haven't seen anybody else in this thread mentioning this issue.

I think if it were me I'd be exchanging the set for a different one to see if the problem clears up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worst Name Ever View Post
Hey, new guy here. I just bought a 55KS8000 from Crutchfield, and I'm impressed with the set. Looks great, but I've had several issues so far. Not sure if it's been covered yet (Google search is useless), so here we go.

I have an Xbox One, Playstation 4, Roku 4, and PS3 all hooked up to my Denon 1913 receiver through HDMI, which is connected to the TV. Never had any connectivity issues with any of them, until I got this set. It doesn't recognize my receiver. At all. Firmware is updated on the receiver and TV. To troubleshoot, I hooked up each system directly to the Connect One box (each with its own HDMI port). The TV recognizes the Xbox One instantly. However, it doesn't recognize the PS4 or Roku. Nothing at all. When I power those on, the TV recognizes that something has just powered on, asking if I want to set up the device. I go to set it, and there is no picture. It sometimes recognizes the PS4's resolution, but not every time.

I connected the Xbox One to every HDMI port, and it works on every port (it only outputs stereo thru the optical, but that's a different battle). I swapped the Xbox One HDMI cable with the PS4 and Roku, and it still doesn't see those devices. Rebooted the PS4 in safe mode, and it still didn't work. I hooked up the PS4 to another TV, and everything is fine. So there seems to be an issue with the PS4, Roku, and Denon with this TV. I just don't know what the issues are, and what I would need to change.

More info....I purchased a Samsung 55JS7000 about a month ago, but am in the process of returning it (pic quality is meh). Everything worked on that set with no trouble. So what's the issue with the KS8000? Or are all of my devices somehow screwed up ?

Crutchfield offered to replace the set, and Samsung help was beyond useless. Sorry for the long post. It's a weird issue, and it's pissing me off.

TLDR: New TV doesn't recognize anything but my Xbox One. No video or audio from other devices. Tried troubleshooting several different methods, and nothing works. Could possibly be random settings I need to change? Or just try another set?
post #617 of 37149 Old 05-08-2016, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tts42572 View Post
I wonder if it's an issue with your TV....Haven't seen anybody else in this thread mentioning this issue.

I think if it were me I'd be exchanging the set for a different one to see if the problem clears up.
Thanks. Yeah, I'm going to try a new set. I hate talking to tech support when it seems like I know more than they do. "Have you reset it, updated the firmware, made sure it's plugged into the right input?" I've tried it all, dude. You're not telling me anything new here.

It doesn't help that I sound like an idiot when I'm trying to explain the problem. They probably think I'm touched.
CosmoGeek likes this.
post #618 of 37149 Old 05-08-2016, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:

May be the OCB. Something Faulty on it. All your cables High Speed Hdmi? Even if not should pass through data.
post #619 of 37149 Old 05-08-2016, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1414 Post(s)
Liked: 1233
unless you're sitting in a dark cave and your vision is getting blurry from not sleeping for 3 days straight, Rtings settings would look awful.
post #620 of 37149 Old 05-08-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANEWMadrid View Post
May be the OCB. Something Faulty on it. All your cables High Speed Hdmi? Even if not should pass through data.
Yep, I bought new cables when I first noticed the issue. Same day delivery from Amazon even...still didn't work.

50% of the time whenever I power on the PS4, the HDMI port would recognize the resolution. 1080p, 60 fps on the info bar. But still no picture or sound.

My antenna and XBONE work, as well as the optical out. So, The OCB works sorta...just not with anything else. And the XBONE works with every HDMI port (1-4), so I'm at a loss. Crutchfield is sending out a new set. But it won't get here in time to play Uncharted 4, so that sucks.

If the new set doesn't work, I'm swearing off Samsung.
post #621 of 37149 Old 05-08-2016, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbows556 View Post
Quote:

I'm seeing the same thing. My previous hu8550 did not have this behavior. I'm finding a setting of 3 and 3 on the motion and judder seem to help a little.
On Blu-ray I never get any ghosting but with my Dish box on network channels it happens. I pretty much do 8 and 3. I also had an 8550 and noticed that the judder and blur are much more dependent on each other on this set.
post #622 of 37149 Old 05-08-2016, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by denpom View Post
unless you're sitting in a dark cave and your vision is getting blurry from not sleeping for 3 days straight, Rtings settings would look awful.
Not true...up your backlight to 15 and you are golden
post #623 of 37149 Old 05-08-2016, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
denpom, can you recommend a better starting point for settings?
post #624 of 37149 Old 05-08-2016, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1414 Post(s)
Liked: 1233
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTV Programmer View Post
denpom, can you recommend a better starting point for settings?
didn't have a chance to play with any KS sets yet, hopefully soon.

btw, did you try any JS8500 settings for the fun of it?
post #625 of 37149 Old 05-08-2016, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
didn't have a chance to play with any KS sets yet, hopefully soon.

btw, did you try any JS8500 settings for the fun of it?
I will today! Just exchanged my KS8000 for a KS8500 and wanna start dialing it in.
post #626 of 37149 Old 05-08-2016, 10:27 AM

Liked: 22
Does anyone know if the ks8000 does not support BD-Wise? I can't find mention of it in the menus and the option is grayed-out on the UHD blu ray player. Thanks
post #627 of 37149 Old 05-08-2016, 10:32 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Did they double box the TV?
post #628 of 37149 Old 05-08-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANEWMadrid View Post
On Blu-ray I never get any ghosting but with my Dish box on network channels it happens. I pretty much do 8 and 3. I also had an 8550 and noticed that the judder and blur are much more dependent on each other on this set.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbows556 View Post
I used the Factory Settings for the past 3 days, with yesterday being my test day. So I switched Judder/Blur to 3+3, 8+8, turned off LED Motion which auto made Judder go to 10 and grayed out leaving only blur to adjust, and all the while the motion artifacts were still present. It's like nothing I did could adjust it.

The 6300 had a lot more customization I guess than this model, which simply has Auto and Custom. The 'smooth' defaults and such were like 5+5 but even then I just watched that same scene with Auto Motion on "standard" and it showed zero motion trail. This new KS8000 is terrible, probably gonna have to return or exchange it.
post #629 of 37149 Old 05-08-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneD5 View Post
Does anyone know if the ks8000 does not support BD-Wise? I can't find mention of it in the menus and the option is grayed-out on the UHD blu ray player. Thanks
I too was unable to get BDWise to work, my Samsung player had it greyed out, and I didn't see this listed in the menu settings. I assumed it was made obsolete?
post #630 of 37149 Old 05-08-2016, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
I too was unable to get BDWise to work, my Samsung player had it greyed out, and I didn't see this listed in the menu settings. I assumed it was made obsolete?

I see it on my ks8500 but it is greyed out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
denon s740h , extra , hdmi input , KS8000/KS8500 , no picture , one connect fail , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page