Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 180208Likes

post #631 of 37002 Old 05-08-2016, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I'd be curious on settings as well....I'm looking for a good starting point when my set arrives.

I've gotten a couple different sets of settings from folks and it's amazing how different they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTV Programmer View Post
denpom, can you recommend a better starting point for settings?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 37002 Old 05-08-2016, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by tts42572 View Post
I'd be curious on settings as well....I'm looking for a good starting point when my set arrives.

I've gotten a couple different sets of settings from folks and it's amazing how different they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTV Programmer View Post
denpom, can you recommend a better starting point for settings?
I started on standard and have ended up here today. Using this for Directv cable. I started with rtings and tweaked:

Picture mode - Movie
Backlight - 8 (I have a brightly lit room)
Brightness - 45
Contrast - 100
Sharpness - 25 (0 isn't sharp enough for cable tv)
Color - 50
Tint - 50/50
Digital clean view - Auto
Auto motion plus - Off
Smart LED - High
Film mode - Off
HDMI black level - Auto
Dynamic contrast - High (I like some "pop")
Color tone - Warm 1
White balance - didn't touch it
Gamma - 0
RGB - Off
Color space - Native

I'm trying these as I ease over from standard type picture mode to movie. The rtings were just too dull and soft for my preference (probably conditioned over years). So I'm trying to find a happy middle between the two that shows inky blacks, not too yellow whites, and some "pop" to the picture.

Note - this didn't really help with my unit's top edge brightness. I'll probably still swap or get another after seeing at BB there are better ones out there.

Crappy iPhone picture attached, but the "SC" in the sportscenter logo above McShay is inky black. Sorry if it seems a little blurry, shaky hand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1462736838200.jpg
Views:	1539
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	1429482  
tts42572 likes this.

Last edited by guitarguy316; 05-08-2016 at 12:48 PM.
post #633 of 37002 Old 05-08-2016, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 817
My TWC cable box max output is 1080i but obviously my channels are a mix of 480/720p/1080i. My question is, should I set the box to output native and let the TV do all the upscaling or set the box to output 1080i on everything? Would the 720p channels look better upscaled by the TV than forced to 1080i by the cable box?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #634 of 37002 Old 05-08-2016, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Anyone else feel the skin tones are pasty/washed out on this set? I've tried the rtings settings as well as some of my own. Guess I'll have to break out the spectro and see what my calibration numbers come in at.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #635 of 37002 Old 05-08-2016, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenager62 View Post

Did they double box the TV?
You mean, when they shipped it? No, it was shipped in its original box. When I got home, the box was upside down (not on its side or facedown, but just upside-down). I thought it was ridiculous, but what can you do?

Would that screw it up? I couldn't do anything about it, so I just brought it in and hooked it up.
post #636 of 37002 Old 05-08-2016, 02:18 PM

Just a note for anyone thinking about buying from buydig on one of their sales or otherwise...

I ordered the 65KS8000 on 4/30 and hadn't heard anything....Called customer service today since some owners here reported they had bought on 4/29 and have already received their sets...

I was told they ran out of these and oversold them and are currently waiting for more stock.

I'm in no hurry so doesn't bother me any....But just wanted to let others know that if you order from them you might be waiting awhile.
post #637 of 37002 Old 05-08-2016, 02:20 PM

You have any adjustments in the blur & judder fields?

I've seen a couple other users putting some smaller numbers in both those fields like 2 and/or 3. Not sure how much that changes the picture since I don't have the set at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
I started on standard and have ended up here today. Using this for Directv cable. I started with rtings and tweaked:

Picture mode - Movie
Brightness - 45
Contrast - 100
Color - 50
Tint - 50/50
Auto motion plus - Off
Smart LED - High
Film mode - Off
HDMI black level - Auto
Color tone - Warm 1
Gamma - 0
RGB - Off
Color space - Native

I'm trying these as I ease over from standard type picture mode to movie. The rtings were just too dull and soft for my preference (probably conditioned over years). So I'm trying to find a happy middle between the two that shows inky blacks, not too yellow whites, and some "pop" to the picture.

Note - this didn't really help with my unit's top edge brightness. I'll probably still swap or get another after seeing at BB there are better ones out there.

Crappy iPhone picture attached, but the "SC" in the sportscenter logo above McShay is inky black. Sorry if it seems a little blurry, shaky hand.
post #638 of 37002 Old 05-08-2016, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tts42572 View Post
You have any adjustments in the blur & judder fields?

I've seen a couple other users putting some smaller numbers in both those fields like 2 and/or 3. Not sure how much that changes the picture since I don't have the set at the moment.

Quote:

Picture mode - Movie
Brightness - 45
Contrast - 100
Color - 50
Tint - 50/50
Auto motion plus - Off
Smart LED - High
Film mode - Off
HDMI black level - Auto
Color tone - Warm 1
Gamma - 0
RGB - Off
Color space - Native

No i didn't touch amp. I guess you could adjust to your liking if you want a little smoother. I don't like SOE so I didn't touch it. I think rtings said to try custom and 0/0
post #639 of 37002 Old 05-08-2016, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worst Name Ever View Post
You mean, when they shipped it? No, it was shipped in its original box. When I got home, the box was upside down (not on its side or facedown, but just upside-down). I thought it was ridiculous, but what can you do?

Would that screw it up? I couldn't do anything about it, so I just brought it in and hooked it up.
Thanks
post #640 of 37002 Old 05-08-2016, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Picture mode - Movie
Brightness - 45
Contrast - 100
Color - 50
Tint - 50/50
Auto motion plus - Off
Smart LED - High
Film mode - Off
HDMI black level - Auto
Color tone - Warm 1
Gamma - 0
RGB - Off
Color space - Native

colors on a TV that's always at around 40... at 50 colors are too punchy and face are too red and not natural as if he did all of the high pressure as in your photo.
and contrast 100 is too high it bleached too the picture... the contrast to 70-75 is quite the top.
this is just my humble opinion.
post #641 of 37002 Old 05-08-2016, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fartamis View Post
Quote:

Picture mode - Movie
Brightness - 45
Contrast - 100
Color - 50
Tint - 50/50
Auto motion plus - Off
Smart LED - High
Film mode - Off
HDMI black level - Auto
Color tone - Warm 1
Gamma - 0
RGB - Off
Color space - Native

colors on a TV that's always at around 40... at 50 colors are too punchy and face are too red and not natural as if he did all of the high pressure as in your photo.
and contrast 100 is too high it bleached too the picture... the contrast to 70-75 is quite the top.
That's what rtings used but I'll mess around with it.
post #642 of 37002 Old 05-08-2016, 11:08 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Which will be the US equivalent of this EU model? UE 55 KS 8090 TXGZ ?
post #643 of 37002 Old 05-09-2016, 12:01 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I bought a JS7000 and wanted to barf every time I saw the cloudy blacks in a dark room, so I returned the set. Based on rtings.com's review of the KS8000, I picked one up at Costco. 10.0 for black uniformity my ass. The edge-lighting on my set is extremely prominent--more so than the JS7000, so there is always a cloudy grey area around the edges of the screen in dark scenes. This can be reduced somewhat by setting Smart LED to low. The high setting creates too much shift in brightness in the middle of a scene--the lag is distracting. Nonetheless, in my opinion, this is not the TV they want us to think it is. Guess what? It's an LCD TV that acts like an LCD TV. By no means does it suck, but it has not by any stretch overcome the limitations of its own hardware. Planning to return it and do what we all know in our hearts we need to do--buy an OLED.

As soon as I save up...
post #644 of 37002 Old 05-09-2016, 02:02 AM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 4370
Quote:
Using this for Directv cable.

Film mode - Off

Just a quick note about these two settings.

(The rest looked fine.)

"Digital Clean View": You should turn this OFF when viewing high-resolution/high-quality content. This setting will "soften" the picture and hide/remove fine detail in high-resolution/high-quality content.

"Film Mode": Assuming your DirecTV cable is broadcast at 1080i (which I believe it is), you should set this to one of the "Auto" settings (I use "Auto 1").

This setting optimizes the picture quality for 24fps film based content. However, it is only applicable for interlaced input signals (480i, 1080i) and might be "grayed-out" for a non-interlaced (progressive) input signal.

This setting engages a process called 'Cadence Detection and Correction' which is used when converting 24fps film based content into 30fps video for TV broadcast, and is a part of deinterlacing. Your TV needs to detect this cadence and then correctly process it so that the content is shown without any artifacts or loss in picture resolution.

Film Mode has to be turned on for 3:2 and 2:2 pull-down correction to work properly on interlaced content.

Richard
PTV Programmer and CosmoGeek like this.
post #645 of 37002 Old 05-09-2016, 02:11 AM
Lionheart of AVS

Quote:
Contrast 100 is too high it bleached too the picture... the contrast to 70-75 is quite the top.

If your "Contrast" setting is "bleaching your picture" you have something else set incorrectly in your settings.

"Contrast" should be no lower that 85-90 (and probably in the 90-100 range).

I don't have a KS TV, I have a 2015 JS9000, but the "Contrast" on my TV is set to "95".

Richard
CosmoGeek likes this.
post #646 of 37002 Old 05-09-2016, 02:16 AM
Lionheart of AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordj View Post
My TWC cable box max output is 1080i but obviously my channels are a mix of 480/720p/1080i. My question is, should I set the box to output native and let the TV do all the upscaling or set the box to output 1080i on everything? Would the 720p channels look better upscaled by the TV than forced to 1080i by the cable box?

On my JS9000, I set my Sat receiver to output everything at 1080i.

Richard
post #647 of 37002 Old 05-09-2016, 02:19 AM
Lionheart of AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammyav View Post
Not true...up your backlight to 15 and you are golden

Then you just need to reach for your Sunglasses...

Richard
post #648 of 37002 Old 05-09-2016, 02:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richard View Post

(The rest looked fine.)

"Digital Clean View": You should turn this OFF when viewing high-resolution/high-quality content. This setting will "soften" the picture and hide/remove fine detail in high-resolution/high-quality content.

"Film Mode": Assuming your DirecTV cable is broadcast at 1080i (which I believe it is), you should set this to one of the "Auto" settings (I use "Auto 1").

This setting optimizes the picture quality for 24fps film based content. However, it is only applicable for interlaced input signals (480i, 1080i) and might be "grayed-out" for a non-interlaced (progressive) input signal.

This setting engages a process called 'Cadence Detection and Correction' which is used when converting 24fps film based content into 30fps video for TV broadcast, and is a part of deinterlacing. Your TV needs to detect this cadence and then correctly process it so that the content is shown without any artifacts or loss in picture resolution.

Film Mode has to be turned on for 3:2 and 2:2 pull-down correction to work properly on interlaced content.

Richard
King Richard do you have a list of suggested settings for the PS4 for gaming on the JS9000 55" Samsung tv? So gald the list for the directv came up as I was just about to ask this today,lol Since changing my settings after getting my Samsung 4k bluray player it has made watching cable a horrible experience.. all the colors are washed out and bleached out pretty bad. Its really weird how settings for one device could look stellar but the same settings on another device could be this big of a difference.

Samsung QN75Q7F, Samsung UN55JS9000, Yamaha RX-A3050, Emotiva XPA-5, 2 Klipsch- RP-280 FA (Left and Right Front / Height channels) 1 - Klipsch RP-450CA (Center channel) 1 Klipsch - R-112SW (Sub)
4 Klipsch- RP-250S (Side surrounds & Rear surrounds) 2 Klipsch- CDT-5800-II (Ceiling Atmos)
post #649 of 37002 Old 05-09-2016, 02:29 AM
Lionheart of AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomnymods View Post
King Richard do you have a list of suggested settings for the PS4 for gaming on the JS9000 55" Samsung tv?

I don't have a PS4 unfortunately and don't really game anymore.

Have you been following the JS9000 thread? I'm sure lots of people in that thread will be able to help you.

Did you go through my "Picture Settings Guide" linked-to in my signature?

Gotta Go! Later!

Richard
post #650 of 37002 Old 05-09-2016, 03:56 AM

Quote:
If your "Contrast" setting is "bleaching your picture" you have something else set incorrectly in your settings.

"Contrast" should be no lower that 85-90 (and probably in the 90-100 range).

I don't have a KS TV, I have a 2015 JS9000, but the "Contrast" on my TV is set to "95".

Richard
I think the contrast adjusted to 90 is too high... but this is only my humble opinion... the contrast on any TV I had always been adjusted to maximum 70-75 and I've always had a bright white as white eggshell... when I look at hockey game rink is bright white and the sweater player are pure white shining.

This is a matter of taste and personal choice but for me I find that contrast to 90 is too bright and destroys the retina of the eyes.
post #651 of 37002 Old 05-09-2016, 04:04 AM
Lionheart of AVS

Quote:
I think the contrast adjusted to 90 is too high... but this is only my humble opinion... the contrast on any TV I had always been adjusted to maximum 70-75 and I've always had a bright white as white eggshell... when I look at hockey game rink is bright white and the sweater player are pure white shining.

This is a matter of taste and personal choice but for me I find that contrast to 90 is too bright and destroys the retina of the eyes.

If your picture is too bright, then just turn down your "Backlight" setting.

Go through my "Picture Settings General Guide" for tips on how to properly adjust the TV's picture settings.

(It is primarily for the JS Series TVs, but most of it will still apply to the KS Series.

Richard
post #652 of 37002 Old 05-09-2016, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

(The rest looked fine.)

Richard
Thanks, I have separate inputs for my blurays, game consoles, etc that i turn off digital clean view. i must have been viewing a 720p channel (set my directv to output native and let tv do the upscaling) so that probably explains why film mode was greyed out. i'll try to adjust later tonight on an 1080i channel.
King Richard likes this.
post #653 of 37002 Old 05-09-2016, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Quote:
Using this for Directv cable.

Film mode - Off

(The rest looked fine.)

Richard
Now that is a Lil. Nugget of knowledge
King Richard likes this.
post #654 of 37002 Old 05-09-2016, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 126
I watched Lawrence of Arabia ON Blu-ray over the weekend and that movie looked and sounded spectacular. Even with the intermission. I love watching these older movies again on this set..
post #655 of 37002 Old 05-09-2016, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

anyone buy one from Costco yet?
post #656 of 37002 Old 05-09-2016, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANEWMadrid View Post
I watched Lawrence of Arabia ON Blu-ray over the weekend and that movie looked and sounded spectacular. Even with the intermission. I love watching these older movies again on this set..
I bought the HD version of The Ten Commandments on iTunes and it is absolutely stunning on my KS8500. The colors, depth and overall quality is just incredible.
ANEWMadrid and King Richard like this.
post #657 of 37002 Old 05-09-2016, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
The 55" version was delayed in transit a few times when I'd go in to look for it. So even if it had arrived to the warehouse on Saturday, picking up, setting up and tweaking a new TV on mother's day weekend was not going to be a good idea. I may attempt next Saturday. That's the last day of the $100 off. And if the Ebay deal for the 55" ever shows up, that may be even safer, seeing as it won't arrive for a couple weeks.
post #658 of 37002 Old 05-09-2016, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Mine (KS8500) will be delivered sometimes this week.
post #659 of 37002 Old 05-09-2016, 04:29 PM

Quote:
If your picture is too bright, then just turn down your "Backlight" setting.

Go through my "Picture Settings General Guide" for tips on how to properly adjust the TV's picture settings.

(It is primarily for the JS Series TVs, but most of it will still apply to the KS Series.

Richard
my backlight and brightness we always adjusted at the center of all the TV'S that I had in my life and I never exceeded 75 of contrast... at 75 I find that whites are very bright and I think it is not necessary to go higher... but as I said this is my humble opinion and tastes are personal to each person .

I always adjust my TV's like this and I have always had a superb picture quality.

mode = standard
backlight = in the center
brightness = in the center
contrast = 75
color = 40
hue = in the center
sharpness = 35
color temperature = neutral

advanced setting
black corrector = medium
adv.contrast enchancer = medium
gamma = 0

the rest is off.
post #660 of 37002 Old 05-09-2016, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mletzmann View Post
As @EJ11 suggested, Game Mode cranks the Sharpness of the picture to 50 by default, which explains some of what I was seeing in terms of over-sharpening weirdness going on in the shadows in SFV. I attached a few photos to this thread, the first being a screenshot captured directly from the PC version I found on Google (guile1ldj9r.jpg). The characters aren't in the same position, and I shot off the screen with my phone so it will never look *as* good, but you can get a baseline of how things should look.

In 01-Normal-Rtings.jpg, that's the general calibration setting I'm using for TV/Movies, which is based on the Rtings settings with the backlight bumped up a little bit.

02-Game-50-Sharp.jpg shows the Game Mode with all the settings left to default. Things shift bluer and much, much sharper. Notice the shadows around Guile's tie and the right side of his jaw and you can see the over-sharpening I was talking about.

03-Game-25-Sharp.jpg is Game Mode with the default Sharpness setting cut in half, and 04-Game-0-Sharp.jpg is Game Mode with the Sharpness turned down to 0, with all other settings unchanged. Even with the Sharpness set to 0, there's still some noticeable weirdness by along his jaw, though the area near the tie has diminished significantly.

I'm going to try out a few more games through the weekend to see if there's any issues outside of SFV. This isn't the only game I play so it would be silly to adjust the TV's settings on it alone, but I think at least half of the default Sharpness is Game Mode would be better across the board. We'll see.

Game Mode cranks up the Sharpness and cools down the color temperature. On games, I think the color temp is fine so far, but it feels too cool when watching TV/Movies. The biggest issue is that it cranks up the sharpness so high you get a ton of artifacting on lower quality signals. Rtings suggests a Sharpness of 0 for their general use calibration settings, with Game Mode setting it to 50 by default.
Got my set & tested it out over the weekend. First off, on all Samsung tvs, reviewers unanimously recommend lowering the sharpness to 0 as anything higher will perform "enhancement" to the raw picture, which you likely want to avoid if you are watching anything 720p or higher. That said, I noticed that this set seems to be adding sharpness even when the setting = 0. At first I thought maybe I was seeing things but then I found this review for the EU version of this TV:

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/ue55k...1605024289.htm

"Unfortunately on our sample and firmware version, there’s some undefeatable edge enhancement running at all times, causing film grain to look exaggerated."

I'll post a question on rtings to see if they can confirm this. I don't know what the formal test for "sharpness" is but if anyone here can verify that this set does in fact perform edge-enhancement even with sharpness=0, that would be immensely helpful.

P.S. - I've also heard about judder issues in game mode. I experienced some during a cutscene once, but haven't seen it since. I'll try to test this out more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
denon s740h , extra , hdmi input , KS8000/KS8500 , no picture , one connect fail , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page