Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 230 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 179979Likes

post #6871 of 36727 Old 09-09-2016, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceX View Post
My KS8000 comes tomorrow morning.

What should my first steps be? Anything to look out for?

I also need a good UHD to buy
Making sure it works before letting the delivery people leave. Beyond that, put in settings from either CNET or RTINGS before watching stuff I would say.
Terminader likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6872 of 36727 Old 09-09-2016, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Can you please be very specific about which "Dolby". DD5.1, DD7.1, Dolby Atmos? It's the last two that are in doubt.
DD5.1. Before the firmware upgrade, I was not able to pass DD5.1, only stereo PCM.
post #6873 of 36727 Old 09-09-2016, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanumang View Post
Hardly a scientific answer but, as these two sets were my 'finalists,' I would argue that the answer is YES to your question.

The impression I got -- seemingly confirmed by the answers that the team at rtings.com would give to this basic query -- is that with no ambient lighting, the P-series is better than the KS. But if there is any ambient lighting (including, I would imagine, bias lighting), the KS is the superior performer.

They are both pretty nice sets though. I went with the KS because the misses doesn't like to watch in a completely dark room during the day -- "sunlight is good!," she says -- so I needed the brighter TV. Also, the Sammy's ability to control additional gadgets seamlessly (thus far ) adds to the WAF.
So if the misses didn't care which tv you kept, would you still go with your KS8000?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6874 of 36727 Old 09-09-2016, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheylew View Post
Question about Blu-Ray 4K Upscaling - Should I let the TV or Blu-Ray do the upscaling?

*Background info - I have an Oppo 103 (regarded as top notch in PQ and upscaling due to the onboard QDEO Marvell chip). In my current configuration, the Oppo is going into my Denon AVR which then feeds into the OCB. Because my AVR is not 4K compatible, I cannot set the Oppo to upscale to 4K, I get an error message that the video signal is not supported - which makes sense. So it is sending the 1080p signal through the AVR to the OCB and the TV upscales it.

I did think to plug the Oppo directly into the OCB, but wasn't sure how to route the audio as the OCB cannot pass the Dolby/DTS TrueHD signals. I'm realizing that the Oppo has 2 HDMI outs, so 1 could go directly into the OCB allowing the Oppo to output a 4K signal, and the HDMI 2 could pass the audio directly to the AVR- although I'm not sure how to tell the TV to play audio through the AVR for that specific source.

Does any of this make sense, am I overthinking this, should I just leave it the way it is and let the TV continue to upscale? I'm just so curious to see if there's an increase in PQ when watching Blu-Rays, although it's rather good now. Thanks
KS8000 does a great job of upscaling 1080p, but if you want the Oppo to do the upscaling, you will need to connect Oppo HDMI1 directly to OCB. Your HDMI2 will go to your AVR. Check the audio settings in your Oppo to choose HDMI2 as the audio source. That way you can get the Dolby TrueHD or Atmos. Your TV does not choose the audio, it is your AVR that does.
Rheylew and King Richard like this.
post #6875 of 36727 Old 09-09-2016, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightpath View Post
So if the misses didn't care which tv you kept, would you still go with your KS8000?
Yes.

The upscaler is better and I watch enough ESPN (720p) that it tipped the balance for me.

Also -- and I can't believe I'm saying this, since I craved a 'dumb' TV for the past few years -- the smart TV features on the Sammy are better.

Finally, I have a 3-year-old, and the tablet remote of the Vizio was bound to go flying across the room too much. YMMV

Last edited by hanumang; 09-09-2016 at 11:48 AM. Reason: grammar
post #6876 of 36727 Old 09-09-2016, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Yes..

Finally, I have a 3-year-old, and the tablet remote of the Vizio was bound to go flying across the room too much. YMMV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Terminader and hanumang like this.
post #6877 of 36727 Old 09-09-2016, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Here's a question for the group: how much Audio Delay are you guys using to sync up your picture and sound? I have my audio going via ARC into a Vizio soundbar. No delay on the soundbar. The TV defaults to 70ms of delay, lip sync looks a little off on the built in Netflix app and Fios TV.

I fired up a few different AV Sync videos on youtube, and I'm still not able to get it right. I think my eye/ears are more forgiving of a "line and a bloop" on the youtube video than they are of a person's lips...
post #6878 of 36727 Old 09-09-2016, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Quoted: 5190 Post(s)
Liked: 7509
Quote:
Originally Posted by blenky View Post
I reported this to Samsung and they asked me to provide screen shots and a video of the problem - which I did. Got a call from them today asking if they could remote control my TV to look at issue. I stressed that I DO NOT want my settings wiped. Should I be cautious about this? I do want to help to get rid of this bug.
It would be fantastic if you could help, I've seen the bug too. If you've found someone willing to actually investigate it, that's 90% of the way there!

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #6879 of 36727 Old 09-09-2016, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcheng122 View Post
Making sure it works before letting the delivery people leave. Beyond that, put in settings from either CNET or RTINGS before watching stuff I would say.
Yes!! My 1st TV was a lemon, don't simply power it on because mine came on too. Plug in the OCB to see if the setup begins, my first TV would not recognize the OCB. Had to wait an entire week for a replacement...
mrtickleuk and frisbfreek like this.
post #6880 of 36727 Old 09-09-2016, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by acefr View Post
KS8000 does a great job of upscaling 1080p, but if you want the Oppo to do the upscaling, you will need to connect Oppo HDMI1 directly to OCB. Your HDMI2 will go to your AVR. Check the audio settings in your Oppo to choose HDMI2 as the audio source. That way you can get the Dolby TrueHD or Atmos. Your TV does not choose the audio, it is your AVR that does.
Excellent advice!! Thanks for the info, if I decide to try it I'll report back on my findings.
Terminader likes this.
post #6881 of 36727 Old 09-09-2016, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Can someone confirm what inputs and outputs come on the One Connect Box? Trying to get my wiring needs sorted, and need to know if the optical audio cable will get connected to the OCB, or to the TV itself. Same for the ethernet cable.

Thanks!
post #6882 of 36727 Old 09-09-2016, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbfreek View Post
When you say "QLED" do you mean quantum dot LED? If so, that tech is already out and the KS8000 has it!

I don't know of the PQ of your Sony, but PQ is very good on the KS8000. This TV is very good for PC and console gaming, especially now that we have confirmation HDR works in game mode. The only gripes you may have are some flashlighting and minimal edge bleed in an absolutely dark room, and some motion blur for really fast scenes (although it doesn't bother me, and there are settings to correct for it outside PC/Game mode).
Here's a link to CNET's review of my TV. I'm pretty sure the KS8000 is better although the W900 has a 240hz display. Not sure if that is a big deal, I'm going to look into that now.
Terminader likes this.
post #6883 of 36727 Old 09-09-2016, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf Nut View Post
Can someone confirm what inputs and outputs come on the One Connect Box? Trying to get my wiring needs sorted, and need to know if the optical audio cable will get connected to the OCB, or to the TV itself. Same for the ethernet cable.

Thanks!
Don't remember if the Ethernet cable went to the TV or OCB, but you can definitely use wired Internet. As for optical cable, it is on the OCB, there is none on the TV. All the input/output connections go to the OCB, you will not require any additional cables to run between TV and OCB.
post #6884 of 36727 Old 09-09-2016, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taoofjord View Post
Here's a link to CNET's review of my TV. I'm pretty sure the KS8000 is better although the W900 has a 240hz display. Not sure if that is a big deal, I'm going to look into that now.
That 240Hz thing is most likely just a marketing ploy.
post #6885 of 36727 Old 09-09-2016, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcheng122 View Post
Don't remember if the Ethernet cable went to the TV or OCB, but you can definitely use wired Internet. As for optical cable, it is on the OCB, there is none on the TV. All the input/output connections go to the OCB, you will not require any additional cables to run between TV and OCB.
So at worst, it sounds like I will need to fish the OCB cable and possibly the ethernet cable through the conduit in the wall, to come out behind the TV where it's mounting on the wall. Sound correct?
Terminader likes this.
post #6886 of 36727 Old 09-09-2016, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
So at worst, it sounds like I will need to fish the OCB cable and possibly the ethernet cable through the conduit in the wall, to come out behind the TV where it's mounting on the wall. Sound correct?

Yup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #6887 of 36727 Old 09-09-2016, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3nsdan 2 View Post
Here's a question for the group: how much Audio Delay are you guys using to sync up your picture and sound? I have my audio going via ARC into a Vizio soundbar. No delay on the soundbar. The TV defaults to 70ms of delay, lip sync looks a little off on the built in Netflix app and Fios TV.

I fired up a few different AV Sync videos on youtube, and I'm still not able to get it right. I think my eye/ears are more forgiving of a "line and a bloop" on the youtube video than they are of a person's lips...
I also feed into a Vizio Soundbar (the SB4551-D5) via ARC and have left it on the default settings for delay. Haven't experienced any noticeable sync issues (and I am sensitive to sync issues). Tested with the Netflix test patterns, also. I've noticed the TV defaults to different delays depending on source. Or did you set all sources to delay to 70ms?

Quote:
OCB has 2 USB ports on one (short) side, 4 HDMI ports on back (long) side along with Coax antenna input. The optical audio input is on the other (short) side. The actual TV has the ethernet jack, an additional USB port, and an Ex-link jack.

Last edited by hanumang; 09-09-2016 at 01:40 PM. Reason: typo
post #6888 of 36727 Old 09-09-2016, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Costides View Post
Good news from my standpoint. After updating to the latest firmware, I can report that Dolby is passing through my Amazon Fire TV, Roku 4 and a Time Warner Cisco cable box. Now the one connect box is useful, I do like how I can quickly switch inputs and the I can use one small remote for all operations, controlling all boxes.
The firmware update to 1332 made no difference with my Roku 4 connected to the OCB on my UN49KS8000. The TV still won't decode Dolby Digital from the Roku. The set will pass Dolby Digital 5.1 from my TWC box and also Apple TV, but not the Roku 4. I have always suspected that this is a Roku issue, but who knows?

-----
2016 Samsung UN65KS9800, UN55KS8500, UN49KS8000
2016 Samsung K8500 UHD BD Player x 2
2016 Samsung HW-K550/SWA-8000S 5.1
2016 Pioneer SC-LX701- AudioSource AMP100VS Atmos/DTS:X 7.1.4
post #6889 of 36727 Old 09-09-2016, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
I also feed into a Vizio Soundbar via ARC and have left it on the default settings for delay. Haven't experienced any noticeable sync issues (and I am sensitive to sync issues). Tested with the Netflix test patterns, also. I've noticed the TV defaults to different delays depending on source. Or did you set all sources to delay to 70ms?
Hmm, I'll have to take a look. I actually didn't know that the delay was persistant by source. I also didn't know about the netflix test pattern...
post #6890 of 36727 Old 09-09-2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:
I also feed into a Vizio Soundbar (the SB4551-D5) via ARC and have left it on the default settings for delay. Haven't experienced any noticeable sync issues (and I am sensitive to sync issues). Tested with the Netflix test patterns, also. I've noticed the TV defaults to different delays depending on source. Or did you set all sources to delay to 70ms?

OCB has 2 USB ports on one (short) side, 4 HDMI ports on back (long) side along with Coax antenna input. The optical audio input is on the other (short) side. The actual TV has the ethernet jack, an additional USB port, and an Ex-link jack.
Perfect, just what I needed. So I need to make sure my ethernet cable going into the TV is long enough to go through the conduit in my wall and up to the TV when mounted on the wall.

Thanks again!
post #6891 of 36727 Old 09-09-2016, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Mine is coming tomorrow morning too, man. I can't wait - probably not gonna sleep a wink! I'm crossing my fingers I get a good one. Definitely going to plug in the OCB for the test before they delivery guys leave. I don't know if it'd even power on without it, but doesn't matter. Not taking any chances! I've already sent back one 4K TV this year (no worries, it was for the best!). Now to grab and Xbox One S...
n2speed125 and King Richard like this.
post #6892 of 36727 Old 09-09-2016, 04:01 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 4367
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe75xp View Post
Coming from an PN51F8500 I am impressed with the blacks on my 49KS8000 for an LED. To me the whites are hard to adjust on this unit and are over saturated by the screen brightness.

I've never heard of "over-saturated" whites before.

However, if your whites seem too "bright" and you feel that "white detail" is being clipped/crushed, that means that your Contrast (White Level) setting is probably set too high. Just turn it down a bit.

Also, if you feel that the overall screen brightness is to high, turn your "Backlight" setting down.

Richard
post #6893 of 36727 Old 09-09-2016, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

This is the step i followed.

1. Open the TV and check the screen does not have crack.
2. Connect OCB before turning on the TV
3. When you setup the TV, don't touch the screen otherwise you will see the blue smudges where you touched. Tell delivery person to not touch the screen. If they help you to open, they don't care much, so tell them beforehand.
4. Check if there any dead pixel, or bad light bleeding or clouding
5. Enjoy your TV. The picture quality is amazing.
Terminader and The_Donster like this.
post #6894 of 36727 Old 09-09-2016, 05:15 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Quote:
So I'm going back and forth between this and the LG OLED (B6). I was hoping to upgrade to an OLED but due to the average to high input lag on the B6 (and not necessarily wanting a curved screen so the C6 isn't ideal) I'm looking at other options. If I end up with an LED panel then I'd just plan on waiting for QLED to hit the market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbfreek View Post
When you say "QLED" do you mean quantum dot LED? If so, that tech is already out and the KS8000 has it!

QLED or QD-LED (Quantum Dot Light Emitting Diodes) are a future "self emitting" Quantum Dot display whose structure will be very similar to OLED technology (they will completely eliminate the need for a LED backlight). Samsung is very much involved in developing the new tech.

QLEDs will have several advantages over OLEDs including:

• Higher Light Outputs, Wider Color Gamut, and Pure Color — they can deliver 30-40% luminance efficiency advantage over organic light emitting diodes (OLEDs) at the same color point.
  • Low Power Consumption — QLEDs have the potential to be more than twice as power efficient as OLEDs at the same color purity.
  • Low-cost Manufacture — the ability to print large-area QLEDs on ultra-thin flexible substrates will reduce manufacturing cost.
  • Ultrathin, Transparent, and Flexible Form Factors — QLEDs will enable designers to develop new display and lighting forms not possible with existing technologies.

Richard
Terminader likes this.
post #6895 of 36727 Old 09-09-2016, 05:36 PM

Just got the 65" KS8000. Not too happy with it so far. A couple questions:

1) There's some serious light bleed along the entire top and bottom of the panel. Is this typical of the panel, fixed with a setting, or a flaw in my particular set?

2) I'm getting a weird issue where the screen slowly dims to what I'd consider close to turning the backlight completly off. Almost like it's going into sleep or standby mode. What's up with that? All my power saving settings are off and it's happening while I'm using the Xbox One S.

3) The TV remote is controlling my Xbox One S. The arrow "back" button is acting as the Xbox's "B" button. WTF.

4) HDR isn't being recognized on the Xbox One S Blu-Ray player. Anyone know how to fix that? HDR is checked in the Xbox One S settings menu and I tried it both with HDR+ mode on and off.

5) How should I handle the TV and PC settings when connecting the TV to my PC?

A couple more questions on the way, haha. I hope I can get all this fixed cause I really don't like returning TVs.
Golf Nut likes this.
post #6896 of 36727 Old 09-09-2016, 05:45 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheylew View Post
Question about Blu-Ray 4K Upscaling - Should I let the TV or Blu-Ray do the upscaling?

*Background info - I have an Oppo 103 (regarded as top notch in PQ and upscaling due to the onboard QDEO Marvell chip). In my current configuration, the Oppo is going into my Denon AVR which then feeds into the OCB. Because my AVR is not 4K compatible, I cannot set the Oppo to upscale to 4K, I get an error message that the video signal is not supported - which makes sense. So it is sending the 1080p signal through the AVR to the OCB and the TV upscales it.

I did think to plug the Oppo directly into the OCB, but wasn't sure how to route the audio as the OCB cannot pass the Dolby/DTS TrueHD signals. I'm realizing that the Oppo has 2 HDMI outs, so 1 could go directly into the OCB allowing the Oppo to output a 4K signal, and the HDMI 2 could pass the audio directly to the AVR- although I'm not sure how to tell the TV to play audio through the AVR for that specific source.

Does any of this make sense, am I overthinking this, should I just leave it the way it is and let the TV continue to upscale? I'm just so curious to see if there's an increase in PQ when watching Blu-Rays, although it's rather good now. Thanks

Usually I would say, let the TV do the upscaling (since Samsung TVs do an excellent job at it)...

However, the Oppos have one of the best upscalers in the business. Personally, I would connect the Oppo directly to the TV and use the second HDMI out for audio and have the Oppo upscale the content.

Just try it both ways to see if you can notice a difference.

Richard
Rheylew likes this.
post #6897 of 36727 Old 09-09-2016, 05:51 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Quote:
HDR isn't being recognized on the Xbox One S Blu-Ray player. Anyone know how to fix that? HDR is checked in the Xbox One S settings menu and I tried it both with HDR+ mode on and off.

Make sure the TV's "HDMI UHD Color" setting is turned ON.

For more see >> TV Settings for HDR <<

Richard
post #6898 of 36727 Old 09-09-2016, 06:30 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richard View Post
Usually I would say, let the TV do the upscaling (since Samsung TVs do an excellent job at it)...

However, the Oppos have one of the best upscalers in the business. Personally, I would connect the Oppo directly to the TV and use the second HDMI out for audio and have the Oppo upscale the content.

Just try it both ways to see if you can notice a difference.

Richard
I have the OPPO 105 and my KS800 coming Monday.
use both HDMI ports on Oppo to OCB for picture and one into AVR for audio?
and does the Oppo or AVR decode the audio? and is there a choice which one does?
post #6899 of 36727 Old 09-09-2016, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richard View Post
Make sure the TV's "HDMI UHD Color" setting is turned ON.

For more see >> TV Settings for HDR <<

Richard
Thank you, that was it. Also, the firmware update reset the Eco saver options which is why it kept dimming again. Whoops!

Anyway, I'm still not happy with the light bleeding from the bottom and top, but looking past that, whenever I have a mostly black screen with a logo or some small icon about one third of the TV lights up as dark gray. That's due to the edge lit screen, correct? I'm upgrading from a edge lot TV and it never bothered me there. I'm going to have to check if it's worse in the KS8000. Lowering the backlight is the solution here right?
gbenrus25 and King Richard like this.
post #6900 of 36727 Old 09-09-2016, 06:40 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrafuzzyllama View Post
I have the OPPO 105 and my KS800 coming Monday.
use both HDMI ports on Oppo to OCB for picture and one into AVR for audio?
and does the Oppo or AVR decode the audio? and is there a choice which one does?

I don't have an Oppo, but...

If your Oppo has two HDMI outs (I think it does) than yes, connect HDMI 1 out to the TV for video and HDMI 2 out to the AVR for audio.

You should output a "bitstream" signal and let the AVR decode the audio.

Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
denon s740h , extra , hdmi input , KS8000/KS8500 , no picture , one connect fail , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page