Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 232 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 179978Likes

post #6931 of 36722 Old 09-10-2016, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbfreek View Post
I just fired up MGS Phantom Pain in 4K (well technically 1440p but the PC then upscaled it to 4K since the TV doesn't take 1440p as an input), switched input type to "console", then changed to Game Mode. Game still looked flawless, no judder. I was outputting in RGB limited mode.

No games have HDR yet so no one can definitively tell you if it will work.
That's awesome. Out of curiosity, why RGB limited and not RGB full?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6932 of 36722 Old 09-10-2016, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
That's appalling. But at least you checked it. Imagine if you hadn't! In 5 days' time you'll have a great TV hopefully.
as far as i know as long as you let them know with 24 hrs usually not a problem. mine is being delivered next week. if I'm not here wife will accept. they just drop it off, no white glove service. if a problem just have to let them know within 24hrs
post #6933 of 36722 Old 09-10-2016, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdavid View Post
That's awesome. Out of curiosity, why RGB limited and not RGB full?

It's an unnoticeable difference to me in most cases. I still get odd black screens from bad HDMI handshakes once in a while even though I'm now using good HDMI cables (and it's unclear if it's the TV or my card; but not too much of a problem to warrant involving tech support), so I'm keeping the bitrate slightly lower just in case. Probably just superstition... I can try switching to full and see if things get worse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6934 of 36722 Old 09-10-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by draedan View Post
Because I can not edit my message above ,

Ok, I've found the solution to my question , but now a new one occurs :

When I select PC as my input ( the other choices are hdmi , game console , blu ray player etc. ) I can only select standard and dynamic modes ( no game mod ).

If I select other choices on the list , game mode can be activated.

I am confused here , everyone tells , writes that we should play pc games with game mode on , but If I select PC as my input , samsung 8500 tv does not allow me to do so .

So, what should I be doing ? PC mode without game mode , or just like RTINGS tells movie mode and activating game mode ( during their calibration ).

thanks a lot in advance
It's really up to you what you like best. PC mode is the only mode that will give you 4:4:4 chroma, but your input lag is ~40 ms. Game mode gives 4:2:2 chroma and ~20 ms lag. If you can't tell the difference in lag, go PC mode. If you can, go Game mode. You can always change the display settings in either mode for the same look.
post #6935 of 36722 Old 09-10-2016, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread

I'm using Rtings picture settings and they're great especially for night time watching. How much do you guy raise the backlight for daytime watching in a bright room?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PSN: Artman22
Xbox live: Artman22

Last edited by Artman22; 09-10-2016 at 04:24 PM.
post #6936 of 36722 Old 09-10-2016, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by draedan View Post
press 123 on your remote , and then press Info icon.
Only works for certain sources such as Netflix. When I 'm watching cable or my Dune streamer I need to do the following

Press 'Home'
Select the Source you are using and press Select.
The on screen selections will disappear
After about a second an info bar will drop down from the top and the source resolution will be displayed on the right.
King Richard likes this.

Samsung UE55KS8000 | Pioneer SC-LX701 | Dune HD Pro 4K | Zidoo Z9S | Apple TV 4K | Nvidia Shield TV (2019) | Fire TV Stick 4K | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Player
post #6937 of 36722 Old 09-10-2016, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceX View Post
Does Game mode turn off upscaling?

How do i unsync my remote frm the xbox and receiver?

How do i use the TV smart apps and make the audio come out of my AVR. Do i need to add a hdmi from tv to receiver for just audio
No. Your panel is 3840x2160p no matter what content you play. Game Mode just disables extra processing to get a lower response rate.

For Smart Apps to your receiver, you connect your HDMI cable from one of the HDMI ports on the OneConnect to your receiver and then tell the TV to output to your receiver. All apps and audio should then go to the receiver.
King Richard likes this.
post #6938 of 36722 Old 09-10-2016, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Ok here's somthing new

Dunno whats causing the transparent bar at the bottom

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
post #6939 of 36722 Old 09-10-2016, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by pons823 View Post
Meanwhile, I have a confounding dilemma to deal with.

As I set up the TV, the sound system and the XBox, I remembered how weak my WiFi signal was downstairs (my router - FIOS, Actiontec MI424WR - is upstairs) and so I started looking up options.

Greatly reviewed, legit and even recommended by FIOS, is the ActionTec MoCa bridge. Essentially an ethernet adapter, it takes the FIOS feed to the house via coax, and creates another hard LAN line for better speeds OTC.

My question to any/all of you is would you plug the new Ethernet connection into the TV, or the Xbox? I'd like both the SmartHub Apps to function, as well as the online features/gameplay of the console.
Connect the Actiontec MoCA adapter's Ethernet port into an appropriately spec'd Ethernet switch. You could then extend wired network connections to multiple devices: the TV, the Xbox -- and even, since you mention you have wireless coverage issues, a wireless access point.

Depending on your budget and device preferences, the MoCA bridge, Ethernet switch and wireless access point functions can be supplied by individual devices or even a single combo device. (e.g. WCB6200Q, WEB6000Q, WCB3000N)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MoCA Wireless Extender.png
Views:	209
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	1653265  
post #6940 of 36722 Old 09-10-2016, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wapvi View Post
Ok here's somthing new

Dunno whats causing the transparent bar at the bottom

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I get the same thing too sometimes. I think it's just normal with edge lit tech.

post #6941 of 36722 Old 09-10-2016, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Unhappy Why are Certain Samsung Settings Such A Secret?

For My newly installed Samsung UN65KS800FXZA, I've been shocked how poorly the Samsung Customer Service 800# is as a Knowledge Base. They have repeatedly provided wrong information to several of my questions.... from how to turn OFF the Samsung Bezel Light (Who would have thought they would call it a “Light Effect”) to telling me that the Samsung Voice Remote can only Control One (1) External Device! Thankfully the people at Best Buy's Magnolia Room have been extremely supportive. Though they too are baffled by several of my questions as Samsung has not given them this information either.. I'm simply attempting to pull up the Incoming Resolution Spec's of whatever I am watching. Most every TV I looked at has this ability, and assumed (wrongly) that I could do this with Samsung. I tried without success using the 123 Method found in thread starter at the beginning of the Forum on YouTube. Of course I'd really like to see is an indicator as to when it's Upscaling too...... Does anyone have the "Secret" Keystrokes that would allow us to Display some of this Basic Information? Is our TV’s Too “NEW” for this info to be available? And thank you to “BlueWhale 1” for all his helpful info…. Samsung’s Customer Service should have this pasted on every one of its CSR’s Displays.

Marc-Robert
post #6942 of 36722 Old 09-10-2016, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is anyone else having a problem with dead pixels? (or black spots embedded in screen, not sure if it's actually dead pixels)
I'm on my second KS800D from Costco. Both have FA01 panels. The first had several dead pixels, mostly grouped along the lower right side of the screen. Not visible most of the time, but when watching the US Open, visible against a solid colors, like a tennis court. So i exchanged it, and got another set which looked great, until I watched a documentary about snow monkeys. That's when I saw a black spot that's either a group of dead pixels, or something embedded within the screen - not sure which, but it's definitely not on the surface. Since this defect is closer to the center of the screen, I see it all the time now. I know I can exchange the set again, but I am now hesitant to do so. I've had several samsung TVs in the past, and none have come out of the box with such visible defects. Any ideas?
post #6943 of 36722 Old 09-10-2016, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 1966 Post(s)
Liked: 3270
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc-robert View Post
For My newly installed Samsung UN65KS800FXZA, I've been shocked how poorly the Samsung Customer Service 800# is as a Knowledge Base. They have repeatedly provided wrong information to several of my questions.... from how to turn OFF the Samsung Bezel Light (Who would have thought they would call it a “Light Effect”) to telling me that the Samsung Voice Remote can only Control One (1) External Device! Thankfully the people at Best Buy's Magnolia Room have been extremely supportive. Though they too are baffled by several of my questions as Samsung has not given them this information either.. I'm simply attempting to pull up the Incoming Resolution Spec's of whatever I am watching. Most every TV I looked at has this ability, and assumed (wrongly) that I could do this with Samsung. I tried without success using the 123 Method found in thread starter at the beginning of the Forum on YouTube. Of course I'd really like to see is an indicator as to when it's Upscaling too...... Does anyone have the "Secret" Keystrokes that would allow us to Display some of this Basic Information? Is our TV’s Too “NEW” for this info to be available? And thank you to “BlueWhale 1” for all his helpful info…. Samsung’s Customer Service should have this pasted on every one of its CSR’s Displays.
For original resolution info on signals via HDMI, press HOME button, go to SOURCE, and select the current input. For Netflix, press the 123 button, scroll left, and press the "I". For Amazon, just press the HOME button. Please note that info from streaming sources is dependent on the app developers.
King Richard likes this.

Definition of "Stupid": Knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the lies.
post #6944 of 36722 Old 09-10-2016, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Game mode changes Sharpness to 50 , is 50 in game mode the same as 0 in picture modes?
post #6945 of 36722 Old 09-10-2016, 06:40 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Can anyone who uses bias lighting, please provide a link for a good brand product? Is it best to put a strip on the bottom and top of a 65" display...or is one strip in the middle enough? Thanks
post #6946 of 36722 Old 09-10-2016, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Game mode changes Sharpness to 50 , is 50 in game mode the same as 0 in picture modes?
No, Game mode Sharpness of 50 actually applies a decent amount of the sharpness filter. If you look closely, you'll see added artifacts. Set it to 0 if you want the pure image.
post #6947 of 36722 Old 09-10-2016, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

The normal moded default sharpness is 5 and game mode is 50. I assumed maybe they were the same.

So game mode should be 0 as well?
post #6948 of 36722 Old 09-10-2016, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

Got my TV setup. Its FA01 Panel and so far it seems my light bleed on bottom is minimal. Is that all I can hope for is just small light bleed?

Also , I got backlight at 3 via RTings settings and game mode. I think it looks fine but is 3 too low??

I play and watch in pitch dark room always so is 3 backlight good or low?
post #6949 of 36722 Old 09-10-2016, 07:23 PM

Hi thread veterans: I made a material update to the FAQ (currently only on my post https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post45338937 until I get BlueWhale to update it). As we keep getting display calibration questions, I attempted to give descriptions/recommendations for most of the display settings. Please read it over and let me know if there is anything I should change or is inaccurate. Thanks!
Terminader and The_Donster like this.
post #6950 of 36722 Old 09-10-2016, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Got a receiver/ARC question for everyone - read through a good bit of the forum and didn't see a solution to my specific scenario, and I'm confusing the crap out of myself at this point.

Equipment:
ks8000 (obviously - 65 if it matters)
Marantz SR5009 - 5.1, so not worried about ATMOS etc.
Tivo Roamio
PS3 (primarily as blu-ray player and netflix/amazon streamer now)
Wii (which my kids still play, and is component only)
Chromecast (which we use often for music streaming)

Objectives:
1. I have a harmony remote, so I can get a little complex if need be, but that being said, simpler is better for the wife and kids
2. I want the option of watching TIVO using TV speakers (my wife prefers this for news, day-time background viewing, etc.), but would also like to be able to use Marantz and speakers for movies or prime-time TV viewing.
3. Want to use the built-in Netflix/Amazon apps on KS8000 for 4k/HDR reasons, but ideally same audio flexibility as above (default to reciever if I only have to pick one)
4. Chromecast display on TV, but we only ever use audio via receiver (so want quality)
5. PS3 same as Chromecast
6. Would still like to be able to use WII, but component input makes receiver a must - can live without it and move it to the basement if we have to though.

In my old setup, I ran everything through the Marantz, and had HDMI bypassed/pass-through on the TIVO input, so could meet objective 2 (Marantz off = TV speakers......Marantz On + TV mute via harmony script = Receiver and speakers). PS3/Chromecast/Wii were receiver only which worked.

Can I accomplish the same thing with KS8000 and Smartconnect hub? I've played around with a few cabling options, but can't seem to get it all to work. I'm also worried about running in to the ARC issues others have mentioned if I try to make it too complicated. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks in advance and sorry for long and potentially confusing post.
post #6951 of 36722 Old 09-10-2016, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
An update from my last post, I've held off on setting my Oppo to do the upscaling, at least for now. I turned off some scaling my Denon was doing and it looks much better! Even watched a DVD and it was crystal clear, very impressed with this TV! I have a few questions..

1- HDR+ when enabled turns the picture dull/grayish seemingly on any picture mode I'm on. Am I doing something wrong?

2- What would you all say is the best HDR content to showcase the effect? (I don't have a UHD player, but can download something to throw on a drive if necessary.)

3- I have my Verizon FiOS setup through the TV, and when the FiOS icon is highlighted I get "On Now" options. The problem is they ALL default to SD channels and I haven't seen any way to edit these, any ideas?

Thanks
post #6952 of 36722 Old 09-10-2016, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by taoofjord View Post
So how prevalent does excessive light bleeding along the bottom and tops of the set seem to be? I really like the set otherwise and might exchange it for the same one but I'm nervous that I'll end up with the similar amounts of light bleed. I don't want to exchange it more than once and I'll feel really bad if I end up exchanging it once and then returning the set altogether. Any advice? Should I just stick with the set I have if I'm going to keep a KS8000? My other option is to go for a Vizio P or jump up to an LG OLED C6.
Not sure if was stated before but what you're seeing is normal. Its if you read the review at RTINGS they talk about it. I got the 65" on monday and I switched from a Vizio P series. The Vizio P series had better blacks and it better when it came to light bleed.

But I thought the gray uniformity was terrible and distracting for me. The vertical banding discolored edges was distracting to me. Not only that I think the KS8000 by far better out of the box as far as picture quality. Not only that the Vizio seemed to oversaturate red and skin tones to the point I found also distracting. Also using the tablet to watch netflix and stuff was kind of a mixed bag. And you can't watch Amazon content on the Vizio at the moment.

I do think motion blur was much better on the Vizio but I'm getting used to it on the KS8000.

If you were going to exchange I think the OLED would be a better option if you can afford it.
King Richard likes this.
post #6953 of 36722 Old 09-10-2016, 09:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2434 Post(s)
Liked: 1737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheylew View Post
An update from my last post, I've held off on setting my Oppo to do the upscaling, at least for now. I turned off some scaling my Denon was doing and it looks much better! Even watched a DVD and it was crystal clear, very impressed with this TV! I have a few questions..

1- HDR+ when enabled turns the picture dull/grayish seemingly on any picture mode I'm on. Am I doing something wrong?

2- What would you all say is the best HDR content to showcase the effect? (I don't have a UHD player, but can download something to throw on a drive if necessary.)

3- I have my Verizon FiOS setup through the TV, and when the FiOS icon is highlighted I get "On Now" options. The problem is they ALL default to SD channels and I haven't seen any way to edit these, any ideas?

Thanks
1) Haven't played with it. It is supposed to boost color/contrast for non-HDR signals, just the opposite of what you're seeing. I have no explanation.

2) http://demo-uhd3d.com/categorie.php?tag=10bits The LG Chess and Sony Camp clips are especially good. (The LG one is intended for their OLED sets.)

3) No FIOS in my area. I tune my TV channels using the Comcast Xfinity remote. (Its voice commands work well.)
Rheylew likes this.
post #6954 of 36722 Old 09-10-2016, 09:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artman22 View Post
I'm using Rtings picture settings and they're great especially for night time watching. How much do you guy raise the backlight for daytime watching in a bright room?

???? Anyone??

post #6955 of 36722 Old 09-10-2016, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Okay, here's the album of (terrible quality) photos that show off the light bleed at the bottom and top. They're not particularly accurate. The three Netflix pictures accentuate it while the two video game pictures (Inside on Xbox One) is hiding the bottom's light bleed which is worse than the top.

Quote:

Not the really uneven lighting on the left side of the screen with the Netflix logo. My previous tv, an edge lit Sony, didn't come anywhere near that. But, again, the Netflix pictures DO exaggerate the issue a little bit.

These were taken on game mode with a backlight of 10 or 11. Smart LED on High and other typical calibration settings from Rtings. Let me know if you need better quality photos. I can try and borrow a DSLR if necessary.
post #6956 of 36722 Old 09-10-2016, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by taoofjord View Post
Okay, here's the album of (terrible quality) photos that show off the light bleed at the bottom and top. They're not particularly accurate. The three Netflix pictures accentuate it while the two video game pictures (Inside on Xbox One) is hiding the bottom's light bleed which is worse than the top.

Not the really uneven lighting on the left side of the screen with the Netflix logo. My previous tv, an edge lit Sony, didn't come anywhere near that. But, again, the Netflix pictures DO exaggerate the issue a little bit.

These were taken on game mode with a backlight of 10 or 11. Smart LED on High and other typical calibration settings from Rtings. Let me know if you need better quality photos. I can try and borrow a DSLR if necessary.
I used this memeber's settings to start with for HDR and NON HDR mode.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...libration.html

I also updated to latest firmware (1132) and it appears the edge lighting improved on my set. AUO panel.

I do see blooming occasionally.

Every panel is unique. So YMMV with ANY settings posted on ANY forum.
post #6957 of 36722 Old 09-10-2016, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artman22 View Post
Usually no more than 10, though my (current) TV room's window is not opposite the TV which, in my experience, makes a huge difference in how high you need to set the backlight.

In the final resting spot for my TV -- in a room where the TV will be directly opposite the window -- I will likely have to set it higher.

I tend to find ambient lighting (lamps, etc) not to be an issue with KS, but sunlight is hard for any TV...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightpath View Post
Can anyone who uses bias lighting, please provide a link for a good brand product? Is it best to put a strip on the bottom and top of a 65" display...or is one strip in the middle enough?
I've been satisfied with (Luminoodle Bias Lighting for HDTV) which is long enough to make an inverted U -- up from the left side of the TV (where the onboard USB port is), across the top, and back down the right side -- on my 65" KS800D from Costco.

Quote:
Also , I got backlight at 3 via RTings settings and game mode. I think it looks fine but is 3 too low??
Before I added the bias lighting mentioned above, I regularly watched in the dark, using the all the rtings.com settings as well, with a backlight of 2 and never felt like that setting was too dark. I sit about 8 feet away from the set currently. With bias lighting, I set backlight to 6 under the same conditions.
post #6958 of 36722 Old 09-11-2016, 02:30 AM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 4367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightpath View Post
Can anyone who uses bias lighting, please provide a link for a good brand product? Is it best to put a strip on the bottom and top of a 65" display...or is one strip in the middle enough? Thanks

People really need to start using the "Search this Thread" feature at the top right of every page. It would save us from having to repeat the exact same things over and over and over... and over again.

I just put in this search right now "Bias Lights" and came up with > THESE 15 RESULTS <

Richard
post #6959 of 36722 Old 09-11-2016, 03:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Quoted: 5182 Post(s)
Liked: 7501
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc-robert View Post
I'm simply attempting to pull up the Incoming Resolution Spec's of whatever I am watching. Most every TV I looked at has this ability, and assumed (wrongly) that I could do this with Samsung. I tried without success using the 123 Method found in thread starter at the beginning of the Forum on YouTube. Of course I'd really like to see is an indicator as to when it's Upscaling too...... Does anyone have the "Secret" Keystrokes that would allow us to Display some of this Basic Information? Is our TV’s Too “NEW” for this info to be available? And thank you to “BlueWhale 1” for all his helpful info…. Samsung’s Customer Service should have this pasted on every one of its CSR’s Displays.
The Info panel won't tell you when it's upscaling but - obviously - if it doesn't say [UHD] 3840x2160, then it is upscaling.

I want it to display the incoming Chroma sub-sampling information which is missing.

For Youtube there's a separate setting. Watch this to see how:

And I do agree about people using the search. It's getting FAQing ridiculous now.
The_Donster and King Richard like this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #6960 of 36722 Old 09-11-2016, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi guys

I'm using beat solo wireless headset to my TV however I can't change the volume up or down, could someone help please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
denon s740h , extra , hdmi input , KS8000/KS8500 , no picture , one connect fail , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page