Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 444 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 179976Likes

post #13291 of 36714 Old 11-22-2016, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Hi everyone,
It's been quite some time since I've posted anything. I've not purchased or made changes to my system...until yesterday.
The CFO gave me the thumbs up to buy a new TV several months ago and yesterday, to avoid Black Friday Madness, I made some purchases.
Started with a TV...The Samsung UN60KS8000, Samsung BD player, BD-J5700, a new slim profile Sanus wall mount and the Logitech Harmony Ultimate Home remote...replaces the Harmony One I've had since it was released...still works but the most used buttons are getting a bit finicky and the lcd screen has lost some pixels.
Wow...the TV set up fast and easily...picture is a big improvement over the 6 year old Samsung 50" plasma.
Same with the dvd player...so much faster than the 8 year old device I've been using.
The remote is so much faster and I like the smaller size...still tweaking the buttons, etc...that will take some time to customize it to my liking.

I've not really played much with the settings on the TV...figure I'd let it break in a bit and do some reading, etc. before I start hitting buttons "just to see what happens"...ok I have done that hehehe but did the restore settings after playing.

I've just started reading the posts on this thread so nothing worthwhile to add at this point but look forward to reading all the posts.
Thanks
Kai

TV: Sony XBR 65X950G, AVR: Marantz SR5011, Speakers: front/Paradigm Prestige 15B bookshelf, center/Paradigm Prestige 45C, surround/Paradigm Atom, sub/SVS SB3000, DVD: LG UBK 90 UHD DVD Player, Media Player: Zidoo Z9S, Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate Home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13292 of 36714 Old 11-22-2016, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTC View Post
Most likely then it's the BT headphones that were the issue. Their Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum (FHSS) algorithm was not up to par with superior products, hence the drop-outs.
Hmm, the plot thickens. The new BT phones (SoundPal SonoBass) have the exact same stuttering issue. It's a shame as they work fine with my iPhone 7 Plus and have great bass response! So, my Echo is currently not just to the side, but also slightly behind the TV (as it is about 8-10 inches from the wall). I'm going to move the Echo to our coffee table (in front, obviously and about eight feet away) and try it again to see if I can reproduce the issue.
post #13293 of 36714 Old 11-22-2016, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Is it safe to download this 1152 firmware....?

and where can I download it from
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13294 of 36714 Old 11-22-2016, 10:58 AM
NTC

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallidevils View Post
I thought someone else may have mentioned that by navigating to youtube.com on the samsung web browser, that they were able to view the 'World in HDR' video with HDR enabled. I tried this myself and I'm not sure if the HDR is working or not. Is there some sort of indication as to whether the HDR is actually enabled and working, based on the video? Or do I just need to wait for the firmware update either way? I've never owned a 4k HDR tv before so it's not even 100% clear to me when I am looking at HDR versus just the regular brightness of the tv.
You need to be on firmware version 1152 to watch HDR on Youtube, whether through app or TV's web browser. On the app you will not get a notification banner stating HDR video is playing, but as the video start and it shows the play/pause button for a few seconds on the top of the screen, it will also show 4k and HDR (bandwidth permitting). If viewing the video through web browser, and you do not need to be in full screen, as soon as the video starts, your picture setttings will change for HDR playback. Through web browser the video, normal size or full screen, will only indicate 4k but not HDR, however you will immediately see that your picture settings have been changed, and you can verify that by going to your picture settings.

As to your last sentence, read the HDR section on the very first post of this thread. Very useful in understanding what HDR does with this TV. Although it states you will not get an HDR notification when streaming on Amazon, it does at least on my set and still does with the latest firmware.
The_Donster likes this.
post #13295 of 36714 Old 11-22-2016, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBobRI View Post
At the top of this thread there was an indication that the 60" model of the KS8000 MIGHT have two stand positions.

Can anyone confirm this?

Reason for the concern is I have a 48" stand and the 60 inch model will extend a bit beyond that, which is OK, but not if the feet don't fit. Samsung realized that on the 65 inch model, but I have yet to see anyone indicate if there are two stand positions on the 60" model.

By the way, the Samsung manual does not indicate there are two positions for any of the models.

Thanks in advance!
I can confirm there is two positions with the 60", i believe on the shorter position one foot to the other is like 42". I can verify tonight when I get home.
post #13296 of 36714 Old 11-22-2016, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Has anyone been having issues with the Spotify app? For some reason the audio cuts in and out frequently when I am using my A/V receiver, but when I use the TV speakers the audio comes out perfectly with no hiccups.
post #13297 of 36714 Old 11-22-2016, 11:02 AM
NTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealedhecht View Post
Hmm, the plot thickens. The new BT phones (SoundPal SonoBass) have the exact same stuttering issue. It's a shame as they work fine with my iPhone 7 Plus and have great bass response! So, my Echo is currently not just to the side, but also slightly behind the TV (as it is about 8-10 inches from the wall). I'm going to move the Echo to our coffee table (in front, obviously and about eight feet away) and try it again to see if I can reproduce the issue.
I thought you've moved your echo to your viewing position for testing. Alternatively, you can walk with your headphones towards the TV and see if there is any improvement. Are you on 2.4GHz wifi? If so, turn it off for a moment, re-pair the headphones and see it the audio improves.
post #13298 of 36714 Old 11-22-2016, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMoses View Post
Has there been any news about them updating the manual backlight in game mode?

When I tried HDR without game mode on, I set the backlight to 10 or 12 and it was great. Setting it to 20 ruins the blacks and maximizes light bleed, in my opinion. It seems like HDR in game mode is processed differently than HDR in standard or movie. HDR in game mode looks washed out to me.

Just to help clarify your question, are you certain that the TV is recognizing input that is HDR? Reason I ask is that, by my understanding, there really isn't "HDR in Dynamic, HDR in Standard, HDR in Natural or HDR in Movie".

Dynamic, Standard, Natural and Movie are Picture mode presets. After that, you can have the option (dependent on other settings) for the Special Viewing modes of Sports, Game or HDR+. Don't confuse HDR+ for a manual activation of HDR viewing mode. HDR+ is a Samsung processing that attempts to "replicate" the HDR EOTF with standard video ranges.

By my understanding, if you truly send an HDR signal to the TV, it would then automatically enter HDR mode (a Picture mode independent of the main 4: Dynamic, Standard, Natural & Movie.)
post #13299 of 36714 Old 11-22-2016, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
You need to be on firmware version 1152 to watch HDR on Youtube, whether through app or TV's web browser. On the app you will not get a notification banner stating HDR video is playing, but as the video start and it shows the play/pause button for a few seconds on the top of the screen, it will also show 4k and HDR (bandwidth permitting). If viewing the video through web browser, and you do not need to be in full screen, as soon as the video starts, your picture setttings will change for HDR playback. Through web browser the video, normal size or full screen, will only indicate 4k but not HDR, however you will immediately see that your picture settings have been changed, and you can verify that by going to your picture settings.

As to your last sentence, read the HDR section on the very first post of this thread. Very useful in understanding what HDR does with this TV. Although it states you will not get an HDR notification when streaming on Amazon, it does at least on my set and still does with the latest firmware.
Thanks for your response. I was confused because my TV was going into an HDR+ mode (backlight on 20, HDR+ enabled) when going to youtube.com, but I see now that that is different from the standard HDR mode that is set automatically when viewing HDR content.
post #13300 of 36714 Old 11-22-2016, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 120
I'm on the verge of purchasing one of these this week. The 55" is too small, and the 65" is just expensive enough that I have a hard time justifying the purchase. The 60" is the sweetspot for size and price for me, but I'm wondering if there's actually a meaningful difference with the panel considering it's apparently different from the other sizes. Can anyone speak to that? Should I avoid the 60"?
post #13301 of 36714 Old 11-22-2016, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by -griffy- View Post
I'm on the verge of purchasing one of these this week. The 55" is too small, and the 65" is just expensive enough that I have a hard time justifying the purchase. The 60" is the sweetspot for size and price for me, but I'm wondering if there's actually a meaningful difference with the panel considering it's apparently different from the other sizes. Can anyone speak to that? Should I avoid the 60"?
I have the 60" and love it. no problems at all.
Setzer and jeep05 like this.
post #13302 of 36714 Old 11-22-2016, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe75xp View Post
Corrected and its there now.

Their "The World in HDR" vid is showing full HDR.
Quote:
Confirm HDR on youtube, no pop-up but when you start the video, it will say 4k hdr and your picture settings will verify HDR.

I saw no other changes, the e-manual is the same 1.2.1 and cal-night/day is still undefined.
For those who watched the "world in HDR" video before and after the update, do you really notice any significant difference? The video is beautiful before the update and I watched it after the update but did not really notice a difference. What are your thoughts?
post #13303 of 36714 Old 11-22-2016, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Question One Connect install with articulating wall mount?

Hi all, If you have an articulating wall mount with your KS8000, how did you install your One Connect?

Did you attach it to the wall behind the TV using a bracket like the "HIDEit Uni-S | Adjustable Small Cable Box Wall Mount"? If so, did you have a problem extending the TV and detracting the TV without the One Connect cable showing? How did you manage?

If you attached your One Connect to the back of your TV using velcro, did you have any heat issues? Where did you attach it?

If you ran the One Connect cord through the wall, was that safe because it is not rated for in-wall? Also, I have read several posts that it is not long enough...
post #13304 of 36714 Old 11-22-2016, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsilva View Post
Same.
chili555, jeep05 and tjsilva like this.
post #13305 of 36714 Old 11-22-2016, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by mke23e View Post
For those who watched the "world in HDR" video before and after the update, do you really notice any significant difference? The video is beautiful before the update and I watched it after the update but did not really notice a difference. What are your thoughts?
If true, this would be a letdown. I kept hearing the 4k leap in technology is more noticeable through HDR and not necessarily the higher res of 4k.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
post #13306 of 36714 Old 11-22-2016, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkjg View Post
Hi all, If you have an articulating wall mount with your KS8000, how did you install your One Connect?

Did you attach it to the wall behind the TV using a bracket like the "HIDEit Uni-S | Adjustable Small Cable Box Wall Mount"? If so, did you have a problem extending the TV and detracting the TV without the One Connect cable showing? How did you manage?

If you attached your One Connect to the back of your TV using velcro, did you have any heat issues? Where did you attach it?

If you ran the One Connect cord through the wall, was that safe because it is not rated for in-wall? Also, I have read several posts that it is not long enough...
I have 65KS8000 on a articulating Omnimount. One one of the bars that runs across the back of the TV I used a long zip tie to mount it to one of the bars so that all ports are open from the top. So the Oneconnect is just sitting on the bottom with the zip tie around it. Cable routing is fine. Works well so far, but it depends on your mount if you have a way to attach it via zip tie.
post #13307 of 36714 Old 11-22-2016, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by hailjack View Post
If true, this would be a letdown. I kept hearing the 4k leap in technology is more noticeable through HDR and not necessarily the higher res of 4k.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Yea I mean don't get me wrong, my previous TV is an 8 year 1080p set from Samsung. So watching anything in 4k is definitely a huge leap. I've seen the World in HDR video atleast 10 times over the past week (prior to update and regular 4k) and it's amazing. Today I downloaded the 1152 firmware from the Korean site and was excited to see some major differences and I just don't see it. The video is definitely playing in 4k hdr based on the youtube tag on the top and auto-change in display settings.
post #13308 of 36714 Old 11-22-2016, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by boojitede View Post
I realize that but I shouldn't have to buy a device for just one app.

Plus like someone said on the VUDU forum it makes zero sense that the app on the 4K blu-ray players doesn't even have the option to play VUDU 4k
Have we been given any indication as to a timeframe for when a VUDU app update will occur? Will an app update require a firmware update? I am regretting purchasing movies through VUDU right now.
post #13309 of 36714 Old 11-22-2016, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setzer View Post
Same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsilva View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I just pulled the trigger on the 60" today!

Thanks!
Cory
Audio: Ascend Acoustics, Sennheiser HD 598, Denon AVR-S710W
Video: JVC RS400, 92" DES Abyss screen, HTPC/RTX 2080/i7 8700k 4.9GHz/madVR, Panasonic DMP-UB900 for streaming
post #13310 of 36714 Old 11-22-2016, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by exchguy View Post
Is this for the 65 ks8000? I am still only showing 1150 here in Denver on a manual update.
No. I have the 49ks8000.

Quote:
By manual search, you just mean the check for updates button? I am on 1150 and it didn't find anything new.
Yes, I went in the settings, software update and searched manually, found 1152.
post #13311 of 36714 Old 11-22-2016, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by exchguy View Post
So the Oneconnect is just sitting on the bottom with the zip tie around it.
Thanks exchguy! If it is sitting on the bottom, is this horizontal/flat against the TV? Or is the box sticking out from the bottom of the TV? Do you have any heat issue with the box being close to the TV?

What articulating Omnimount did you purchase? I see several results on Amazon. We were thinking about getting the Unibrak UNB 550. Perhaps I could zip tie it to the bottom of that mount?
post #13312 of 36714 Old 11-22-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your response. I was confused because my TV was going into an HDR+ mode (backlight on 20, HDR+ enabled) when going to youtube.com, but I see now that that is different from the standard HDR mode that is set automatically when viewing HDR content.
I'm still confused because my TV behaves exactly the same way when I am watching Netflix HDR content. I put on Chef's table, verified in the Info pane that I am getting 2160, and then the TV switches settings to have backlight on 20 and HDR+ enabled. If this is how youtube.com is behaving on 1150, wouldn't that also mean that I am viewing HDR content on the website?
post #13313 of 36714 Old 11-22-2016, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Spankenstein View Post
Just to help clarify your question, are you certain that the TV is recognizing input that is HDR? Reason I ask is that, by my understanding, there really isn't "HDR in Dynamic, HDR in Standard, HDR in Natural or HDR in Movie".

Dynamic, Standard, Natural and Movie are Picture mode presets. After that, you can have the option (dependent on other settings) for the Special Viewing modes of Sports, Game or HDR+. Don't confuse HDR+ for a manual activation of HDR viewing mode. HDR+ is a Samsung processing that attempts to "replicate" the HDR EOTF with standard video ranges.

By my understanding, if you truly send an HDR signal to the TV, it would then automatically enter HDR mode (a Picture mode independent of the main 4: Dynamic, Standard, Natural & Movie.)

It's definitely recognizing the HDR signal and it notifies me that an HDR signal is being received. I'm still trying to figure out if HDR is supported in every picture mode. I had read in this OP that HDR only worked in Movie, but then it worked for me in Standard. If I don't have game mode on and I'm using an HDR signal, it automatically changes to HDR settings. I really wish it did that in game mode. Having to manually change these settings each time is extremely annoying.
post #13314 of 36714 Old 11-22-2016, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Gotcha. The expanded the available Picture modes that allow HDR activation from just Movie to include Standard, via a firmware update.

Game mode (which is considered a Special Viewing mode) has not been added at this point. Hence why others have mentioned that it requires the manual adjustment to the settings.

While I don't have any insider information, I'm sure they have been made aware of the issue and it has been assigned a priority rank for review, testing and firmware fix.
King Richard likes this.
post #13315 of 36714 Old 11-22-2016, 12:22 PM
NTC

Quote:
I'm still confused because my TV behaves exactly the same way when I am watching Netflix HDR content. I put on Chef's table, verified in the Info pane that I am getting 2160, and then the TV switches settings to have backlight on 20 and HDR+ enabled. If this is how youtube.com is behaving on 1150, wouldn't that also mean that I am viewing HDR content on the website?
If special viewing HDR+ is enabled when you are streaming a true HDR video, then you must have enabled that yourself sometime in the past. It should not automatically be enabled when viewing HDR sources.
post #13316 of 36714 Old 11-22-2016, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Spankenstein View Post
Gotcha. The expanded the available Picture modes that allow HDR activation from just Movie to include Standard, via a firmware update.

Game mode (which is considered a Special Viewing mode) has not been added at this point. Hence why others have mentioned that it requires the manual adjustment to the settings.

While I don't have any insider information, I'm sure they have been made aware of the issue and it has been assigned a priority rank for review, testing and firmware fix.

Well, I bought it at Sam's Club, so they have 89 more days to update the firmware or I'm returning it!
post #13317 of 36714 Old 11-22-2016, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
If special viewing HDR+ is enabled when you are streaming a true HDR video, then you must have enabled that yourself sometime in the past. It should not automatically be enabled when viewing HDR sources.
Plus, you are potentially HDR+ processing an already HDR image, which would likely look really screwy and likely dim in the midtones.
NTC, King Richard and mrtickleuk like this.
post #13318 of 36714 Old 11-22-2016, 12:32 PM
NTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mke23e View Post
I agree the world in HDR viseo is of excellent quality before HDR was enabled in Youtube. After upgrading the firmware, the video had a bit more pop, but I think the level of pop you see will be dependent on your normal picture settings. I do not know if you have watched the other 3 videos from the playlist, but I have and regardless of what your picture settings were, the last video had the greatest improvement if you tweaked the dynamic contrast as other and the first post have suggested.

Just my humble opinion and nothing more should be inferred.
King Richard likes this.
post #13319 of 36714 Old 11-22-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
It's possible I messed with the setting. I think the only bit I am still failing to understand is why on 1150 navigating to youtube.com automatically changes my settings to be backlight = 20, which I assumed meant the TV sensed it was displaying an HDR video.
post #13320 of 36714 Old 11-22-2016, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Does anyone know if HDR+ is enabled, it has its own set of settings for when playing SDRvsHDR. Or does HDR+ only have one set independent on whether SDR or HDR is playing?

Its kind of annoying that samsung does not just put all setting possibilities in the settings menu, so that each mode can be independently configured instead of "guessing" which special mode its in and then what playback mode its in.

Also whats the general consensus on HDR+ plus...should I just turn it off completely and not worry about it, so I only have two sets of settings I have to worry about (Movie Mode in SDR and Movie mode in HDR?). As I understand it, HDR+ is mostly to help bring HDR color space to SDR...so is it really necessary in HDR mode?

Also can I assume that all content coming from my 1080i connection of my Apple TV is SDR, or is it possible to have HDR content in less than 4k??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
denon s740h , extra , hdmi input , KS8000/KS8500 , no picture , one connect fail , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page