Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 445 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 179981Likes

post #13321 of 36733 Old 11-22-2016, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mke23e View Post
Yea I mean don't get me wrong, my previous TV is an 8 year 1080p set from Samsung. So watching anything in 4k is definitely a huge leap. I've seen the World in HDR video atleast 10 times over the past week (prior to update and regular 4k) and it's amazing. Today I downloaded the 1152 firmware from the Korean site and was excited to see some major differences and I just don't see it. The video is definitely playing in 4k hdr based on the youtube tag on the top and auto-change in display settings.
It would be interesting to see before and after pics of this vid.

If anyone has not done the update yet, would you mind taking a pic or 2 of the "world in HDR vid" and then do the update and take a pic of the same scene under same lighting conditions? This would be interesting to see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13322 of 36733 Old 11-22-2016, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got my KS8000 and I am very happy with it overall. Does anyone who has one have Comcast? I can use the remote for almost everything except getting to the menu for Xfinity. I can get to the guide but not the menu where I have recorded shows.
post #13323 of 36733 Old 11-22-2016, 01:05 PM
NTC

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallidevils View Post
It's possible I messed with the setting. I think the only bit I am still failing to understand is why on 1150 navigating to youtube.com automatically changes my settings to be backlight = 20, which I assumed meant the TV sensed it was displaying an HDR video.
If, under 1150, you are seeing 20 for backilight while streaming on Youtube then it because you have turned on HDR+ or you yourself have set backlight to 20. But back to fixing the problem with true HDR source and having HDR+ enabled. Stream a known HDR video on either netflix or amazon and while it is playing turn off HDR+, after that you may tweak at other settings based on your viewing environment but I would recommend leaving HDR+ off. But as it is often said here, it is your TV and your eyes, so you alone decide what you truly want, everything here is just good advice, recommendations, and opinion, and sometime facts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13324 of 36733 Old 11-22-2016, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTC View Post
I agree the world in HDR viseo is of excellent quality before HDR was enabled in Youtube. After upgrading the firmware, the video had a bit more pop, but I think the level of pop you see will be dependent on your normal picture settings. I do not know if you have watched the other 3 videos from the playlist, but I have and regardless of what your picture settings were, the last video had the greatest improvement if you tweaked the dynamic contrast as other and the first post have suggested.

Likely not many of us have our TVs correctly calibrated for HDR content either. By calibrated, I mean at the very least, correctly setting black and white clip points. It's a completely different ballgame than previous HD content (Rec709 @ 100 nits max luminance.) Second, as far as I know, HDR isn't supposed to change the majority of the image. It is meant more for increased specular highlights (ie. glints off metal or glass) and expanded shadow detail. Most of the midrange should look the same as a correctly calibrated HD image.

Those looking for every image to resemble an LSD trip on top of a coke bender, should just stick to jacking up all the settings to 100% and enjoy. .
yukon and King Richard like this.

Last edited by Dr. Spankenstein; 11-22-2016 at 01:16 PM.
post #13325 of 36733 Old 11-22-2016, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by -griffy- View Post
I'm on the verge of purchasing one of these this week. The 55" is too small, and the 65" is just expensive enough that I have a hard time justifying the purchase. The 60" is the sweetspot for size and price for me, but I'm wondering if there's actually a meaningful difference with the panel considering it's apparently different from the other sizes. Can anyone speak to that? Should I avoid the 60"?
Apparently the panel versions are not a major issue with the KS8000. The 60 inch version uses a Sharp panel, whereas the other sizes use either a FA01 Samsung panel or an AA02 panel from AOU. The feedback seems to be all panels look good with no major issues.
Setzer and jeep05 like this.
post #13326 of 36733 Old 11-22-2016, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Quoted: 5192 Post(s)
Liked: 7514
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker3in4 View Post
I love my KS8500, but it sure it annoying to watch netflix or another streaming movie on my widescreen TV and still have black bars on the top and bottom. I want to use my full 65"! Ive looked in the tv's settings, and it seems when Im watching a movie the TV knows this and automatically switches in into HDR+ mode, which disables the option which would allow me to reformat it to full screen. Id rather lose a little off each side and have it fill my screen than stare at those black bars.

anyone help?
Yes. We had this discussion back in 1998 when DVD was launched. Nothing at all has changed since then. If you want your screen filled regardless of the aspect ratio of what it's displaying, then sorry, but you can't. It's nothing to do with the TV.
Terminader and King Richard like this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #13327 of 36733 Old 11-22-2016, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTC View Post
If, under 1150, you are seeing 20 for backilight while streaming on Youtube then it because you have turned on HDR+ or you yourself have set backlight to 20. But back to fixing the problem with true HDR source and having HDR+ enabled. Stream a known HDR video on either netflix or amazon and while it is playing turn off HDR+, after that you may tweak at other settings based on your viewing environment but I would recommend leaving HDR+ off. But as it is often said here, it is your TV and your eyes, so you alone decide what you truly want, everything here is just good advice, recommendations, and opinion, and sometime facts!
Thank you, this is all brand new to me so I will definitely take your advice I'm still struggling to get used warm2 settings as many articles have suggested, so I've lowered that to warm1 in the meanwhile...but that is an entirely separate discussion!
King Richard likes this.
post #13328 of 36733 Old 11-22-2016, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfer View Post
Almost ready to bite on this.

Does Game Mode gimp the picture quality in any way? Are there any negative effects of Game Mode for strictly PQ?
Relax, that's never scary, unless the "install firmware from a USB stick" function is also broken.

"gimp"? What have niche sexual practices got to do with it . Of course it degrades the picture quality slightly, because it disables lots of internal picture processing algorithms in order to get the input lag down to 22ms. It's a compromise and is why different modes are available for you to choose from. If you want full picture quality, you use Movie mode.
It's a great TV.
I personally don't like the picture on the game mode, but I'll admit I haven't looked back into it for quite some time and there have been some updates to it and other picture settings. I use movie mode and love it, again, personal preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by half moon View Post
My TV should be delivered today! I'm not up on a lot of the technical terms mentioned here on AVS, but I'm trying to learn.

I found this video that was published in September, the best calibrated picture settings. I'm going to use these settings when I set my TV up today and go from there. Is there anything that stands out since the latest firmware update that should be changed?

Hopefully I won't get bashed for posting a duplicate post with this video if it has already been posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X71yX0FCVd4
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfRathmA View Post
Thank you. Although i don't know if there's a way to disable the smart remote. I will try to read the manual. I will try also to remove the labels from the inputs.

Thank you!
Looks like someone already pointed out that this is the European KS900 equivalent model and not the KS8000. Here's a link of my picture setting post I made way back when. I own the 65" FA01 version. Give it a whirl and see what you think. Worse case scenario, you reset the settings back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl0ckw0rk View Post
TBS is cutting off part of the picture to accomodate the 16:9 aspect ratio of the TV. Netflix is displaying the content as originally formatted.

It's a matter of personal preference I suppose but I would rather see everything I am supposed to be seeing than lose some of it because it doesn't fit my entire screen.

You know, back in the day (maybe they still do) Netflix was chastised quite a bit for doing what you are asking for.

Anyway, I know this is off topic. I bought the TV last week and it is being delivered today. Hopefully someone will be able to answer your question (either by saying how or confirming you can't).
Yeah, in this thread alone some of us were pissed at Amazon for basically doing the same thing. Thankfully this was fixed in a firmware update. Now things are properly displayed. Something else people need to stop is confusing HDR+ with actual HDR. HDR+, like Game Mode, needs to be enabled. HDR on the other hand kicks automatically when the source is 4K Ultra HD or whatever. It will bump up the backlight to 20 and contrast to 100 if it doesn't display the "An HDR program is playing" message in the upper left hand corner.
NTC, jeep05 and mrtickleuk like this.

Official Samsung KS8000/8500 Owners Information PDF
Living Room: LG 55LE5500 Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360 w/Kinect
Bedroom: VIZIO E470VL VIZIO VSB200 Sound Bar Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360
Inner Sanctum: Samsung 65KS8000, Halo XBox One, GoW Xbox 360, Onkyo HT-S5300
post #13329 of 36733 Old 11-22-2016, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abward View Post
Re: 1152

Assuming that the 11 means November and 52 means build number,
No. The 11 does not mean November.

I've had these versions.
1125 (at purchase in August)
1142 (also in August)
some other versions I've forgotten.
1150.7 (9th Nov)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abward View Post
does this mean that after December, Samsung will stop rolling out firmware updates for this set (and concentrate on the 2017 models)?
No again.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #13330 of 36733 Old 11-22-2016, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Spankenstein View Post
Just to help clarify your question, are you certain that the TV is recognizing input that is HDR? Reason I ask is that, by my understanding, there really isn't "HDR in Dynamic, HDR in Standard, HDR in Natural or HDR in Movie".
Standard and Movie store your preferences twice. Once for HDR, and once for normal SDR. So there is the normal 4, plus Movie-HDR and Standard-HDR, effectively.

But it's 100% correct to say there isn't "HDR+ in Dynamic, HDR+ in Standard, HDR+ in Natural or HDR+ in Movie".

Quote:
Dynamic, Standard, Natural and Movie are Picture mode presets. After that, you can have the option (dependent on other settings) for the Special Viewing modes of Sports, Game or HDR+. Don't confuse HDR+ for a manual activation of HDR viewing mode. HDR+ is a Samsung processing that attempts to "replicate" the HDR EOTF with standard video ranges.
Indeed. Think of Sport, Game and HDR+ as just 3 more picture preset modes. The only difference is that they are in a different place in the menus!

Quote:
By my understanding, if you truly send an HDR signal to the TV, it would then automatically enter HDR mode (a Picture mode independent of the main 4: Dynamic, Standard, Natural & Movie.)
Not quite. If you're in Movie when you send an HDR signal to the TV, it automatically switches to the Movie-HDR mode, as far as switching picture settings goes.
Same for standard.

If you're in either HDR+ or Game mode when it happens, the TV will correctly process HDR but you'll have to manually change the Backlight and Contrast yourself.

If you're in Sport, Dynamic or Natural modes, then as well as being a masochist you won't get HDR. The TV won't do anything with it. HDR doesn't work in these modes.

post #13331 of 36733 Old 11-22-2016, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post
Let's see if I can explain this without making matters worse.

On my KS9000, I just highlight the icon for the remote (on the left, in the Launcher at the bottom of the screen) when I'm in the correct mode/input for the device I want to no longer control, then I delete the universal remote option. I've done it a couple of times in the past to delete and to add devices (such as my Roku streamer). If you do it properly, the TV may ask you if you want to set up a new device on that input the next time you turn the device (Blu-Ray player, HT, etc.) on, but if you refuse it will stop after a few attempts. As for the TV always defaulting to the onboard speakers, I've only seen posts about that on the AVSF...none of my acquaintances who own this model have actually had this happen, so I cannot say for certain whether how one could resolve it.
My launcher says "universal remote" yet there is nothing delete anymore because I reset the tv which deleted anything in memory.
Still the same issues.

I'd like to hear from a poster with an 8500 and a harmony. This Tizen interface isn't helping any.

This on-board speakers constantly switching to default has been much complained about with harmony and this model's owners 8000/8500 throughout this thread.

Like I've said it used to work and appears to be a firmware related issue which may be resolved after I take a screwdriver and a pair of pliers and cut these freaking speakers out of the tv. I paid $1000 for a sammy atmos soundbar and if I could toss these tv speakers out the window I would

UNK65KS8500 (curved model)
HW-K950 Samsung Atmos soundbar-with rears
HW-J8500 Samsung Soundbar (sold 10-24-16)
Sanus universal soundbar speaker mount SA405B1
Samsung 4K Ultra HD Bluray player UBDK8500
Harmony 650 remote ($43 amazon)
post #13332 of 36733 Old 11-22-2016, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2438 Post(s)
Liked: 1739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
(snip)
Started with a TV...The Samsung UN60KS8000, Samsung BD player, BD-J5700, a new slim profile Sanus wall mount and the Logitech Harmony Ultimate Home remote...replaces the Harmony One I've had since it was released...still works but the most used buttons are getting a bit finicky and the lcd screen has lost some pixels.
(snip)
Kai
You don't want a UHD Blu Ray player? (To watch UHD/HDR Blu Ray disks.) They're more expensive than an HDR player, but can be had for around $200US. (Samsung UBD-K8500, Philips BDP7501.)
post #13333 of 36733 Old 11-22-2016, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2438 Post(s)
Liked: 1739
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
No. The 11 does not mean November.

I've had these versions.
1125 (at purchase in August)
1142 (also in August)
some other versions I've forgotten.
1150.7 (9th Nov)

No again.
The UK firmware versions are different from the US ones. The latest I've seen on the US website are 1142.1. I received 1150.8 over the air. The version available at the Korean web site is 1152.0. Works fine on a US model, as previously covered in this (ridiculously long) thread.

Last edited by bobknavs; 11-22-2016 at 07:47 PM.
post #13334 of 36733 Old 11-22-2016, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
The UK firmware versions are different from the US ones. The latest I've seen on the US website are 1142.1. I received 1150.0 over the air. The version available at the Korean web site is 1152.0. Works fine on a US model, as previously covered in this (ridiculously long) thread.
Absolutely. At the risk of adding another post yes they are different I'm sure as they are different chassis, but they do appear to be roughly in line.
v1125 was the one that added HDR+ mode, and HDR processing in Standard.
v1131 was the one that added Subtitle options for USB playback: options like sync, size, encoding character set, edge type (drop shadow, etc.), and edge color.
v1140 either has no known change or it(or 1131) was the one that added support for HDR in Game mode (but not with two sets of settings)
v1142 fixed the disappearing icons in the smart hub
v1150 I'm on now, no known changes in this one
Just awaiting 1152 (or later!) now

All started with "11" and they were in August, October and November.

post #13335 of 36733 Old 11-22-2016, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Quote:
Gotcha. The expanded the available Picture modes that allow HDR activation from just Movie to include Standard, via a firmware update.

Game mode (which is considered a Special Viewing mode) has not been added at this point. Hence why others have mentioned that it requires the manual adjustment to the settings.

While I don't have any insider information, I'm sure they have been made aware of the issue and it has been assigned a priority rank for review, testing and firmware fix.
It would not surprise me AT ALL if this game mode/HDR settings malarkey is never addressed. So I wouldn't count on it. In fact, I might go as far as to say if you're buying this TV in the hope this gets fixed - don't. I've had TVs in the past from Samsung where REALLY obviously stupid software problems were never, ever fixed (e.g. an old Samsung 1080p LCD TV with Game Mode that worked REALLY well in terms of input latency, BUT cranked the sharpness to stupidly high levels while simultaneously greying the sharpness setting out so you couldn't change it. Hopeless.).

I hope to be proven wrong, of course, in this case.
post #13336 of 36733 Old 11-22-2016, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 16
So I'm on the fence currently about getting a KS8000 tv. I currently have an Onkyo NR838 which lacks HDR support but has passthrough but I don't believe it allows hdr passthrough.

Does the KS8000 access atmos over ARC or some method of hooking my pc to the TV for hdr content, and passing the audio only for atmos through the receiver? Using toslink would kill the atmos end of it. Thanks
post #13337 of 36733 Old 11-22-2016, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisha View Post
As well as Canadian models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did they move Canada from North America?
dwaleke likes this.
post #13338 of 36733 Old 11-22-2016, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I just received the tv I ordered from samsung for the better price through EPP and will be bringing back the other back to BB.

Can I use the remote, backpanel, hub and cables etc from the 60" version from BB now for the 65" I just received from samsung? So I'd be able to give BB back unopened stuff.

I know silly question, just want to make sure.

65" KS8000
Onkyo HT-S5800
Beyerdynamics DT 990 Pro
PS4 Pro
Xbox One S
post #13339 of 36733 Old 11-22-2016, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by dante`afk View Post
I just received the tv I ordered from samsung for the better price through EPP and will be bringing back the other back to BB.

Can I use the remote, backpanel, hub and cables etc from the 60" version from BB now for the 65" I just received from samsung? So I'd be able to give BB back unopened stuff.

Yes. I did exactly the same (brought back the 60" KS8000 to Best Buy, after getting the 65" KS8500 from Samsung EPP)
post #13340 of 36733 Old 11-22-2016, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 134
I just did the 1152 update off the korean site and I can confirm that HDR youtube is working. Shows an HDR symbol beside the quality symbol.
post #13341 of 36733 Old 11-22-2016, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Early access program
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1479858536132-1113769325_1479858577924.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	1784577  
post #13342 of 36733 Old 11-22-2016, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
So I tried manually forcing the TV to update, but it still shows 1150 as the current update...has anyone else in the US been able to update? Thinking of doing the Korean download, but wouldn't downloading an update for the korean market screw up language/region settings?
post #13343 of 36733 Old 11-22-2016, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vahid Jamali View Post
So I'm on the fence currently about getting a KS8000 tv. I currently have an Onkyo NR838 which lacks HDR support but has passthrough but I don't believe it allows hdr passthrough.

Does the KS8000 access atmos over ARC or some method of hooking my pc to the TV for hdr content, and passing the audio only for atmos through the receiver? Using toslink would kill the atmos end of it. Thanks
From the http://www.samsung.com/us/system/con...000_052516.pdf it looks like the audio return channel supports https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Digital_Plus and http://patents.dts.com/professionals...-sound-tv.aspx but not https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Atmos

consistent with:
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ks8000
Code:
 Inputs Specifications
 HDR10 Show Help
 : Yes
 Dolby Vision
 : No
 5.1 Passthrough ARC Dolby Digital
 5.1 Passthrough ARC DTS
 5.1 Passthrough Optical Dolby Digital
 5.1 Passthrough Optical DTS
 HDMI 2.0 Full Bandwith : Yes
 ARC : Yes (HDMI 4)
 USB 3 : No
 HDCP 2.2 : Yes
 CEC : Yes
 MHL : No
 Variable Analog Audio Out : No
post #13344 of 36733 Old 11-22-2016, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANEWMadrid View Post
Early access program

Too bad we can't use it yet-

"If you have not already received an email with tracking information for your Smart Lighting Kit, you should within the next 48 hours. Unfortunately, we’ve identified a bug that’s blocking the setup process. We’re working on a fix, but for the time being, please hold off activating your SmartThings Extend until we contact you with further instructions.

We apologize for the bumpy start—we’ll be in touch tomorrow with an update. Thanks again for working with us to shape the future of SmartThings Extend.

Sincerely,

The SmartThings Team"
post #13345 of 36733 Old 11-22-2016, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Is there any visible differences between the KS8000 60" vs 65"? I'm deciding between the two at the moment and can't come to a decision. I heard the 65" has a better panel is this true?
post #13346 of 36733 Old 11-22-2016, 05:07 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by mke23e View Post
The video is beautiful before the update and I watched it after the update but did not really notice a difference. What are your thoughts?
I hadn't seen the video before yesterday. I think it looks incredible and is the best picture Ive seen so far from any streaming sources.
post #13347 of 36733 Old 11-22-2016, 05:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by dante`afk View Post

Took mine back to best buy and they didn't even open it up. For all they know I had a 1985 tube TV in the box. Sad thing is I spent a lot of time fixing the box up just like I bought It.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
dante`afk likes this.
post #13348 of 36733 Old 11-22-2016, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Well the 55KS6300 (630D at Costco) we installed this weekend has revealed an ugly flaw when selecting an unconnected input on the receiver and getting a pure blue screen.

There is a darkened crooked randomish diagonal line on the lower right corner of the screen, as if there is a 3" piece of wire trapped behind the panel but in front of the backlight, and making a shadow. Might be a smear or scratch but it is definitely inside; the outside of the panel is flawless.

So we have to return it.

FWIW: When you unbox your TV, put a pure white picture up (such as a computer desktop alternate screen with a white wallpaper or a word processor) and check the screen for obvious uniformity issues. You might also want to check the pixels with a magnifier and count the stuck ones. Dark pixels are not going to cause much issue but light ones are going to show up as pinpoints of light on dark scenes.

I thought maybe we could have a tech come open the panel to repair the flaw, but after hearing about the KS8000 having a glued-on back, I have to ask myself...

Have we really entered the realm of a $500-$1000 disposable TV? How are these things supposed to be serviced if they are glued shut?

He wants to get another of the same model. The Costco web site says it is sold out and the store says they have 14 in stock.

I am going to have to check carefully to see if the back of the 6300 is also glued on.
Ricker62 likes this.
post #13349 of 36733 Old 11-22-2016, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
ARC as implemented on most TVs shares signal paths and chipsets with the optical out, and as such, is basically limited to the capabilities of S/PDIF that we've had for decades. That means not only that the newer immersive formats such as Atmos and DTS:X not be possible, but nor will much older lossless HD audio formats such as Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio.

There are workarounds such as the Samsung UHD player which has two HDMI outs, so that you can output the audio from one to a non-HDR capable receiver, and output the HDR-carrying video on the other.
NTC, The_Donster and King Richard like this.

post #13350 of 36733 Old 11-22-2016, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:

838 = No HDR

If you want HDR + Atmos with that receiver you have two options.

1) Buy a HD Fury Integral
2) Buy a new receiver

I am in the same boat

DIY Mid Hi Speakers Build - SKHorn Build - Gjallarhorn Build SOLD - Othorn Build SOLD - SEOS 12 Build - Other Gear: JVC NX5 - Seymour Matinee Black - QSC CX4.5Q amps x 5 - QSC Q-sys 110f - Speakerpower 6000 x2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
denon s740h , extra , hdmi input , KS8000/KS8500 , no picture , one connect fail , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page