Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 457 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 179983Likes

post #13681 of 36739 Old 11-25-2016, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 31
What's crazy is most cooking shows look amazing on cable with this TV. Matter of fact most closeups of people look great (closeups of players in football, cooking shows with mostly static camera shots, close-ups of food, etc.), but it's still a crapshoot b/c Fox news for the most part looks absolutly terrible. And ESPN sportscenter isn't the greatest either.

I'm addicted to Nothing But Trailers on AXS TV cable channel. That channel must be very minimally compressed. During their trailers on the Nothing But Trailers show, it looks amazing (considering the source). Not quite BD quality, but really close.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13682 of 36739 Old 11-25-2016, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2
So, any ideas how to reduce blur while in game mode? It's awfully limited and makes horizontal scrolling look terrible, but lag is too high outside of game mode. I'm probably going to take this back and wait for the next wave of oled if this isn't fixable
post #13683 of 36739 Old 11-25-2016, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Hi guys, so we need to wait an youtube app update to get youtube HDR, but do the updates making in background? And how we will able to tell when youtube HDR is here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13684 of 36739 Old 11-25-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDigital View Post
So, any ideas how to reduce blur while in game mode? It's awfully limited and makes horizontal scrolling look terrible, but lag is too high outside of game mode. I'm probably going to take this back and wait for the next wave of oled if this isn't fixable
These are the modes disabled when in Game Mode. I suppose all other options are free to tweak as needed.

-Digital Clean View
-Auto Motion Plus
-HDMI Black Level
-10 Point White Balance
-RGB Only Mode

I have yet to game with the KS8000. I suppose I need to give it a go as yet another test for this TV myself...
post #13685 of 36739 Old 11-25-2016, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Hey guys, thinking about pulling the trigger on the 60" 8000 today. I've read about the panel lottery, and realize samsung doesn't even make the 60" panels. However, 60" is as big as I can go, and 55" is my current size I'm hoping to upgrade. So I'm kind of stuck. Do I go for it?

Also, price being equal, do I go to best buy, Wal-Mart, or amazon? Thanks for the help
post #13686 of 36739 Old 11-25-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailjack View Post
These are the modes disabled when in Game Mode. I suppose all other options are free to tweak as needed.

-Digital Clean View

-Auto Motion Plus

-HDMI Black Level

-10 Point White Balance

-RGB Only Mode

I have yet to game with the KS8000. I suppose I need to give it a go as yet another test for this TV myself...

Yeah, that's the problem, auto motion plus anti blur is the only thing that makes it smooth as it should be, but you need game mode off to tweak it, which means that the input lag is terrible on non 4K sources. In gaming circles this tv is being hailed as the second coming and a lot of people are picking it up for the PS4 pro
post #13687 of 36739 Old 11-25-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Yeah, that's the problem, auto motion plus anti blur is the only thing that makes it smooth as it should be, but you need game mode off to tweak it, which means that the input lag is terrible on non 4K sources. In gaming circles this tv is being hailed as the second coming and a lot of people are picking it up for the PS4 pro
Like I said, I cannot attest for any blur or lag yet, and it's interesting you bring it up. Rtings loved this set:

"We played a lot of video games on the KS8000 and never found motion blur to be an issue. We played first person shooters, combat and racing games. As a whole, we enjoyed the experience better on the KS8000 than on other Samsung 2015 TVs we have played on."

However, if you notice it, that's all that counts. And if it's that bad for you, and there isn't a way to tweak it, you may have to hold off for that next round of OLED - that is if they've figured out input lag by then on those sets.
post #13688 of 36739 Old 11-25-2016, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I'm on the fence with the ks8000 or ks8500.

The more I think about these two, the more I start contradicting myself.

My cable source is Cox, which is 1080i or 720p. With tv's now coming with HDR10 and Dolby Vision, would that even matter if I am not streaming anything that is 4k and HDR applicable?

Would it be best to just snag a tv under $600 that does not come with the latest technology if my source is not that which can produce what the newer technology can produce?

Does that make sense?

Basically, If I am not streaming 4k or HDR content, and just watching sports on basic cable, do I need all the new bells and whistles at this point or am I better off waiting a few years until cable starts pushing out more HDR content?
post #13689 of 36739 Old 11-25-2016, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 591
Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTC View Post
Just noticed it's another new update. Second one this week.

Yeah 1152.1 dated today.
Maybe it is HDR auto switching in Game mode!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mrtickleuk likes this.

Last edited by Elisha; 11-25-2016 at 11:22 AM.
post #13690 of 36739 Old 11-25-2016, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Donster View Post
I watch and play in a light controlled room in total darkness. Outside of the minimal light bleed, I've noticed no blooming or issues that have made me regret my decision to buy this television. You can ask what people think, but opinions are always going to vary. Bottom line, how does it look to you and do you have an electronics store outside of Costco and Best Buy that has it being displayed in a low lit room?
Unfortunately, the only decent electronics store I know of around here is Best Buy. I'll try to get there tomorrow to check it out (though I don't expect them to have a good test feed).

I'm strongly inclined to wait for the next generation at this point (which I expect is silly, realistically), in the hopes that one or more of the majors might get it in their heads to give their higher level panels (IE the KS lines) full array backlights, but at the same rate, if the model is in fact good enough now then I'd probably be inclined to go for it (so as to not waste the potential of the PS4 pro because pretty pretty video games ). It seems like, as with so many other things, the blooming issue is very much a your-mileage-may-vary kind of thing (and may or may not only be an issue under HDR usage? that is unclear).
post #13691 of 36739 Old 11-25-2016, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 39
new owner here, picked up a 65' ks8000 from best buy last sat. Love the tv. Been tweaking settings all week to dial it in. Having an issue with judder though that I just can not get rid of. It is random and only happens intermittently. On some tv shows its very noticeable. Can anyone tell me if the update 1152 everyone is using off the Korean site helps with this issue? I don't mind waiting for an update to help with this as long as there is hope. If the update doesn't help I am debating exchanging the ks8000 for the sony 930D. Thanks!
post #13692 of 36739 Old 11-25-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Like I said, I cannot attest for any blur or lag yet, and it's interesting you bring it up. Rtings loved this set:

"We played a lot of video games on the KS8000 and never found motion blur to be an issue. We played first person shooters, combat and racing games. As a whole, we enjoyed the experience better on the KS8000 than on other Samsung 2015 TVs we have played on."

However, if you notice it, that's all that counts. And if it's that bad for you, and there isn't a way to tweak it, you may have to hold off for that next round of OLED - that is if they've figured out input lag by then on those sets.

Anything 3D looks spectacular so it may not get picked up in those games that rtings tried but horizontal side scrolling games that move with any speed really show the issue. I was playing Donkey Kong country tropical freeze on the Wii u due to how vibrant the graphics in that game are and it has a lot of scrolling elements which blur like crazy as you move through the stages
post #13693 of 36739 Old 11-25-2016, 11:36 AM
NTC

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisha View Post
Yeah 1152.1 dated today.
Maybe it is HDR auto switching in Game mode!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unfortunately I am have not been a gamer since Nintendo 64. I found noting new with this minor update. I was afraid they would break something, but it looks like everything works as 1152.0

I was hoping for 2 separate memorized picture settings when streaming in Youtube, Amazon, or Netflix. Ideally I would like to use HDR+ for regular 4K streams, and have it off when streaming HDR contents. But if I enable HDR+ it carries over to HDR content. I have to remember to disable it. No big deal.

Last edited by NTC; 11-25-2016 at 11:52 AM.
post #13694 of 36739 Old 11-25-2016, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2441 Post(s)
Liked: 1742
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfrocampeador View Post
Different calculators and different posts in this forum seem to suggest different things regarding distance. My TV lives off to the right from my computer in my bedroom. I watch stuff / play games on it (while doing actual work/web surfing/etc on my computer monitor which is much smaller). What do you mean by 52" would be good? (If you mean screen size, for the KS8000 its 49 or 55 -- I was thinking the 49 because of the savings and because it would be a little easier to rotate it a bit to improve the viewing angle from my desk)

Regarding the rest: Thanks for the info. I guess there's no knowing with the light bloom (unless someone else offers their own experience on that) but I guess its probably ok (I hope). If the upscaling for DVD content seems good to you that's a big relief (I have many years 480p/i content that I'd hate to render unwatchable).

Regarding the UHD Blu Ray player: Hmm, interesting. Considering the relatively small number of titles available at the moment I'm considering holding off a few months on that, but I'm not sure. Amazon *was* running a good deal on the samsung UBD-K8500 but they seem to have ended that.

[edit] I totally should have properly quoted your response, sorry!
When I posted that 52" would be good, it mainly meant that I'm losing my ability to do arithmetic in my head. (4.5 feet is 54"). All that I really intended is that 4.5 feet would be an appropriate distance to appreciate 4k. Better than the distance I usually view my 49" TV at.

Blooming and light bleed are issues that are rather personality-dependent. Some people can't bear seeing bleed into the black bars when viewing a movie with an aspect ratio greater than 1.78:1. One European review site basically declares all LCD TVs (including FALD ones with hundreds of backlight zones) unacceptable because they all show blooming that was detectable under some circumstances (small bright images in a totally black surround). Only OLEDs are OK for that site. (That seems a bit less crazy at the moment, as 55" LG OLEDs are now available for $1800US.)
post #13695 of 36739 Old 11-25-2016, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Quoted: 5196 Post(s)
Liked: 7522
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post
Yes I remember you saying that Samsung dropped BD Wise for 2016 models. here is a link scroll down to see full specs BD Wise plus
http://www.samsung.com/us/television...n60ks8000fxza/
Hmm, thanks. It's got "BD Wise Plus", according to that page - but I bet it's a mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemannnnn View Post
Hey guys, thinking about pulling the trigger on the 60" 8000 today.
The_Donster likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #13696 of 36739 Old 11-25-2016, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
When I posted that 52" would be good, it mainly meant that I'm losing my ability to do arithmetic in my head. (4.5 feet is 54"). All that I really intended is that 4.5 feet would be an appropriate distance to appreciate 4k. Better than the distance I usually view my 49" TV at.

Blooming and light bleed are issues that are rather personality-dependent. Some people can't bear seeing bleed into the black bars when viewing a movie with an aspect ratio greater than 1.78:1. One European review site basically declares all LCD TVs (including FALD ones with hundreds of backlight zones) unacceptable because they all show blooming that was detectable under some circumstances (small bright images in a totally black surround). Only OLEDs are OK for that site. (That seems a bit less crazy at the moment, as 55" LG OLEDs are now available for $1800US.)
Hah, no worries, we all have math issues from time to time
I'm partway tempted to throw up my arms and jump for the discounted OLED (On account of credit card points stored up), but its still an awful lot of money (And input lag is said to be not great, but that probably doesn't matter too much). I'll have to get to my local best buy tomorrow if I can spare the time and obsessively stare at the options a bit (knowing fully that the in store tests aren't representative ). At the end of the day, it may just come down to how much do I want to get the most out of the PS4 Pro vs what level of random issues can I tolerate in a panel (if Samsung/Sony had used FALD it would have probably meant that we'd have a slew of models with objectively minimal bleeding problems, and thus the decision would be easier)
post #13697 of 36739 Old 11-25-2016, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2441 Post(s)
Liked: 1742
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post
Yes I remember you saying that Samsung dropped BD Wise for 2016 models. here is a link scroll down to see full specs BD Wise plus
http://www.samsung.com/us/television...n60ks8000fxza/
It's not a feature that I care about, but it's absent on my 49" model.

I flowed the link, and see that it lists BD Wise Plus.

The 49", 55", and 65" models don't list it.

Can anyone confirm that it's actually present on the 60" model? I suspect an error on the web page.
post #13698 of 36739 Old 11-25-2016, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Liked: 1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
It's not a feature that I care about, but it's absent on my 49" model.

I flowed the link, and see that it lists BD Wise Plus.

The 49", 55", and 65" models don't list it.

Can anyone confirm that it's actually present on the 60" model? I suspect an error on the web page.
Most people can't use BD Wise or care about it. Because it's all Samsung devices working together that's the only way it works. Most of us here have a non Samsung AVR In the middle of the chain which prohibits BD Wise from talking anyway.
I just thought it was curious that the spec sheet for the 60 has BD Wise plus and the others don't that's all because I couldn't care less if it has a BD Wise picture mode or not. I don't use it.

Living Room Sam. UN65KS8000 / 2017 Roku Ultra / Onkyo TX-RZ920 7.2.4 / M-5010 Amp. /Sam. UBD-M8500 Blu-Ray Player.
DEN TCL 65R617 65-Inch 4K Ultra / Onkyo TX-RZ730 5.2.4 / Philips 4K UHD Dolby Vision Player (P7502) BEDROOM Sam. 55JS8500 / 2016 Roku Ultra / LG UP870 3D Ultra High Definition Blu-Ray 4K Player

Last edited by bargervais; 11-25-2016 at 12:21 PM.
post #13699 of 36739 Old 11-25-2016, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 277
I remember reading that the 2016 Samsung TVs would get a firmware update for HDR metadata towards the end of the year. Any news on that?
post #13700 of 36739 Old 11-25-2016, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hey guys, new owner of the 55" KS8000 here and really enjoying this tv. I was a little nervous at first for issues with this tv but so far it has been perfect (no light bleed, zero dead pixel, and superb black level)

Not sure if it has been mentioned but I noticed you can turn off the tile ads on this tv by going to the menu support > Terms & Policy >Interest Based Advertisement (de-select "Sync plus and interactive Marketing")

Sometimes it does come back for some reason but if you deselect it again it goes away (probably glitchy firmware). I'm currently running on 1150 and my only issue so far has been the remote can go inactive when my Fire TV goes to screensaver mode (hope there is a fix for this)

Has anyone found a bluetooth keyboard that can be use with this tv for youtube and web browser? I've read some reviews online but it has been spotty at best what works and what doesnt.
King Richard likes this.
post #13701 of 36739 Old 11-25-2016, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by abward View Post
Be sure your cable box is configured to output 1080i only (possibly 720p too), so that the TV can do the upscaling from there.
Thanks, yeah I've got it set at 1080i at the moment. I've also tried 720p as well. Which one of those is the better signal to feed this TV?

Also I've got my Onkyo set to simply pass the video signal through.
720p has more pixels showing than 1080i.
post #13702 of 36739 Old 11-25-2016, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDHawks View Post
I'm on the fence with the ks8000 or ks8500.

The more I think about these two, the more I start contradicting myself.

My cable source is Cox, which is 1080i or 720p. With tv's now coming with HDR10 and Dolby Vision, would that even matter if I am not streaming anything that is 4k and HDR applicable?

Would it be best to just snag a tv under $600 that does not come with the latest technology if my source is not that which can produce what the newer technology can produce?

Does that make sense?

Basically, If I am not streaming 4k or HDR content, and just watching sports on basic cable, do I need all the new bells and whistles at this point or am I better off waiting a few years until cable starts pushing out more HDR content?
If you never ever watch 4K and HDR on Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, and don't own a 4K BD player, and your only source is cable Tv, then there is no need for you to buy a 4K / HDR Tv. As such, then you will save yourself a bunch of money by waiting until there is broadcast is such formats (if ever)
joe75xp and King Richard like this.
post #13703 of 36739 Old 11-25-2016, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talk show host View Post
I purchased the M65-D0 last week at Best Buy for $1149, then came back and got them to price match Costco's $999.99 deal. I had a ton of issues getting the thing to work to my liking, namely due to smartcast not working well in my network configuration. I am generally not a fan of having to use the tablet for configuring picture settings, but I could get used to it. I'm currently having issues playing HDR Bluray content on the Xbox One S, and, after reading more reviews, I think ultimately, although the M65-D0 is a great deal, i'm going to be disappointed with the lack of color quality due to it being an 8 bit panel. So i'm going to return the thing and spend an extra $500 for either the P65-C1 or 65KS8000. I read some review sites and they favor the vizio. I read others that favor the Samsung. I really don't know who to believe, so i'm hoping some of you out there can help me make a decision based on your personal observations. Here are my viewing habits/priorities/TV room setup:

1. HDR content. Although I probably wont spend the most TIME watching HDR movies (due to limited availability), its the #1 reason i'm buying a tv. This is not my "general use" TV. its a TV in my "man cave." 90% of the time, i'll be watching movies, or shows on HBO like Game of Thrones, Westworld, etc. For HRD content, I want to watch Mad Max, The Martian, Sicario, and really be blown away by how amazing the colors look. I want the colors to POP. Just as important to me are the black levels. I'm coming from an old LG LCD and "bleeding" annoys the crap out of me. If i'm watching a movie, I want the letterboxes to be as close to black as possible. If i'm watching a movie set in space, I don't want to see a glow around a ship or other object moving across the screen. I also hate "banding" that I generally only notice when watching a movie and it pans up to show the sky.

2. The TV needs to handle cable broadcastsports motion well. I want a little "blockiness/pixilation" when watching cable content as possible.

3. Although most of the time I will be watching the TV in a dark room, there will be times i'll be watching during the day (sports mostly). Unfortunately, the way the room is configured, there is a window sitting behind where my couch is, aimed directly at the TV, so a set to reduce reflection or just be bright enough to counteract the glare, would be awesome.

4. The room is longer than it is wide. As such, I'm not concerned about needing to have wider viewing angle.

5. Although I have an xbox one S, I mainly use it because I like how it incorporates my Cable TV, has tons of streaming apps, and a Bluray player, all in one. I will rarely, if ever, play games on the TV so gaming is not important at all, HDR, or otherwise.

As KS8000 owners, can you provide any advise on how the Samsung would meet my needs? I'm somewhat concerned about the black levels/blooming from some of the reviews I have read, but everything else sounds like its great (aside from lack of dolby vision support).
Yes. It will. Samsung KS series is comparable with Vizio P series. Samsung KU series is comparable with Vizio M series. Totally different league for HDR.
King Richard likes this.
post #13704 of 36739 Old 11-25-2016, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by thyname View Post
Yes. It will. Samsung KS series is comparable with Vizio P series. Samsung KU series is comparable with Vizio M series. Totally different league for HDR.
Thank you for your response. What are your personal experiences with viewing HDR content, specifically black levels? Do you notice significant bleeding in dark settings? That is really my only concern with this TV. to me, it boils down to: Is better brightness of the KS enough to outweigh any blooming/bleeding as opposed to the P series vizio.
post #13705 of 36739 Old 11-25-2016, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallidevils View Post
I'm a little underwhelmed at how cable looks as well. PS4 and 4K YouTube look incredible. My fios box is set to 1080p.
Maybe I need to exchange my FIOS box for a newer version? I can only get 1080i on mine

post #13706 of 36739 Old 11-25-2016, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
not sure how your getting blur in game mode, i have the xbox 1 s and the ps4 and pro and really haven't seen any motion blur while gaming. either you have superman eyesight or you have settings wrong.
Terminader likes this.
post #13707 of 36739 Old 11-25-2016, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thank you for your response. What are your personal experiences with viewing HDR content, specifically black levels? Do you notice significant bleeding in dark settings? That is really my only concern with this TV. to me, it boils down to: Is better brightness of the KS enough to outweigh any blooming/bleeding as opposed to the P series vizio.
I come from a Sony x850c (also 65") I purchased last year. The KS8500 is significantly better than that Sony for HDR content.

Watching Grand Tour on Amazon is the best ever HDR experience with my KS. Simply stunning!

I don't own current Vizio P series, but I have read that P series is better than KS series for movies in very dark room. Everything else KS is better.

I may have bought a Vizio P series just to test it, but those almost never go on sale, and the lowest price I have seen is $1,800 for 65". I got my 65" KS8500 for $1,150 via EPP. Price does matter, especially when it comes to comparable sets.
post #13708 of 36739 Old 11-25-2016, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by half moon View Post
Maybe I need to exchange my FIOS box for a newer version? I can only get 1080i on mine

What?! There is no such thing as 1080P on cable broadcasts. Unless on demand (sometimes)
King Richard likes this.
post #13709 of 36739 Old 11-25-2016, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Cool

Quote:
all tvs have faults even oled. heres what i know about the p series. fald doesnt work right. every time you turn around on the p forum they are saying shut off fald it helps. what the heck is the use of it if you cant use it. HDR does not work on gaming for the p series. works perfect for the ks[except you might have to adjust it] but it works great. constant sound drops on the p, never ever lose sound on the ks. They have some1 who works for vizio always saying wait for the next update. but every update brings a different problem. you can wait for the perfect tv in 20 years. or you can enjoy. i prefer to enjoy.
post #13710 of 36739 Old 11-25-2016, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 990 Post(s)
Liked: 908
Anyone got a link to 1152 that is compatible with a UK TV?

Samsung UE55KS8000 | Pioneer SC-LX701 | Dune HD Pro 4K | Zidoo Z9S | Apple TV 4K | Nvidia Shield TV (2019) | Fire TV Stick 4K | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Player
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
denon s740h , extra , hdmi input , KS8000/KS8500 , no picture , one connect fail , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page