Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 461 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 180091Likes

post #13801 of 36904 Old 11-26-2016, 08:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have my coax cable connected directly to the TV. On 720p channels, or at least on fox, the image seems to be quickly moving up and down by about 1 pixel. Has anyone seen that or know how to fix it? I hate that they broadcast in 720p instead of 1080i. Football games look way better on the other networks even with the lower framerate.

Last edited by C0deTalker; 11-26-2016 at 10:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13802 of 36904 Old 11-26-2016, 08:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Anyone else having an issue with the youtube app?

Specifically text on the main page being illegible and it seems a "go back" button is stuck on every screen/video.

Quote:

post #13803 of 36904 Old 11-26-2016, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post
I simply do not understand what happened today.
I go to BB to see the latest tv's, and obviously the OLEDS and the Sony Z9 had by far the best PQ. They blew me away.
However I stumbled on a TV called Hisense, I think a 55".
I could not stop looking at it.
My eyes are used to watching a Sony XBR65900A from 2013. I do not know why this Hisense looked so good? I then google this brand and it's an unknown Chinese brand....go figure?
I've got the 50H8C and am very happy with the picture for the price. Check out the Hisense thread for more info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13804 of 36904 Old 11-26-2016, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Question

Hey, all:

I just purchased the UN65KS8000 this week and set it up on Thanksgiving (with the help of a couple guests). I decided (late) to order the Kanto FMX3 from Costco and am stuck waiting for it to be delivered; in the meantime, I have it set up on its two legs using the inner slots. I upgraded from a 46" 1080p Sharp Aquos non-LED LCD that I bought nine years ago. (It still made 1080p content look very good [to my eyes], although it had a dark patch on the far right probably from a child throwing something at it.) I'm using the embedded apps (Netflix, Amazon, Play Movies) as well as displaying a Sony Blu-ray player and a home theater PC (HTPC) running Windows 7 Media Center that is pushing 1080p at 60 Hz over HDMI.

I have a few questions for the more experienced forum members:

1.) Any recommended settings for a HTPC? The cable channels look OK, not amazing. It's likely I just need to thrown down for an HDMI 2.0 video card to output 4K, since the CPU and mobo are five years old. My PPI (per online calculator) actually increased from 47 to 67, but I realize that I'm displaying 1080p. I connected it to HDMI 2, which it seems to recommend for PC source. Currently I'm using Standard picture with backlight 10 (room-dependent, I know), 45 brightness, 100 contrast, 0 sharpness, Smart LED off, HDMI UHD color on, color tone Standard, gamma 0. I have no Special Viewing Mode enabled, but I see Sports as the only option not grayed out.

2.) More troublesome is that I think I have six dead pixels that look like a tiny line -- a family member said an "eyelash" -- when viewed from the couch. From the bottom right, it's about 1/6 to the left and 1/4 up. I've attached a couple shots. One close-up is with the blue Media Center background, the other with a white background. Is anyone sure what kind of defect this is? Does anyone think these are pixels you can resuscitate? I ordered online through Samsung, so it's not like I can throw it in the back of my SUV and exchange it at the store. Would you accept a small defect like this or go through the return/exchange or warranty process? It's only noticeable when that area over the frame is uniform and static, although I might have developed the unfortunate habit of looking for it, since I know it's there.

Thanks to all for the feedback and advice.

Edit: I did pull up some 4K/HDR content on the embedded Amazon app, and it did look quite stunning. I'm really glad for the smart TV apps so that I can enjoy it without depending on the cable and broadcast networks (which don't seem to be in a hurry to upgrade to 4K).

Edit (Dec. 5): It's ten days later and I'm enjoying the TV. I still am not sure whether these are dead pixels -- most evident on the white background -- but possibly a mark beneath the top layer. My FA01 panel is really good otherwise -- minimal light bleed, no weird waves like I've seen on other panels. The power cord is loose, but I'll probably put some electrical tape over the back after I (finally) mount it. I have the FMX3 brackets secured to the back with four M8-1.25 x 50mm hex-head bolts, and they're a perfect fit when combined with two washers that came with the mount. (Unfortunately, Kanto only provides up to 40mm M8 bolts.) I bought mine at Home Depot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B08A9062-crop.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	467.4 KB
ID:	1790297   Click image for larger version

Name:	B08A9062.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	935.3 KB
ID:	1790305   Click image for larger version

Name:	UN65KS8000 bad LEDs.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	1790313   Click image for larger version

Name:	UN65KS8000 bad LEDs 2.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	1790321  

Last edited by Hoogineer; 12-05-2016 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Updating status
post #13805 of 36904 Old 11-26-2016, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Simandl View Post
The 4K show The Grand Tour on Amazon looks AMAZING on this set in HDR, with one exception. Lots of banding in the outdoor sky shots. There's no way to get around that without degrading the picture in general, is there?
How can I change the resolution? Video always showing only HD 1080p. Can't find the settings to change it to 4K. Thanks!
post #13806 of 36904 Old 11-26-2016, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw1st View Post

Specifically text on the main page being illegible and it seems a "go back" button is stuck on every screen/video.
I have the same issue. Hopefully we will wait for an update. To resolve this issue for now, just force quit the app by pressing the back button for 5 sec, until the app is closed.
Terminader likes this.
post #13807 of 36904 Old 11-26-2016, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacnik View Post
How can I change the resolution? Video always showing only HD 1080p. Can't find the settings to change it to 4K. Thanks!
You don't. With Amazon, there's a "The Grand Tour" and a "The Grand Tour - Ultra HD." You have to pick the Ultra HD version in the first place (go to TV, then scroll down to the Ultra HD TV shows section). That's the case with all their 4K stuff.

The one I really can't wait for is the second season of The Man in the High Castle. Probably won't look quite as spectacular in HDR, but the subject matter is more up my alley.

Bob Simandl ... somewhere near St. Louis
post #13808 of 36904 Old 11-26-2016, 09:32 AM
NTC

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfRathmA View Post
I have the same issue. Hopefully we will wait for an update. To resolve this issue for now, just force quit the app by pressing the back button for 5 sec, until the app is closed.
That started occurring when 1152.0 came out as I reported earlier this week.

No need todo a force exit. What is occurring is the video descriptions for that row are being grouped together on the first video for the row, instead of each video displaying individually on the row.

tw1st - on your photo, text were jumbled on the video under your recently uploaded, if you navigate to that video then use your right arrow (try to navigate to the right as if there was a video to the right) then everything FOR THAT ROW will become normal. You would need to do that under recommended (if jumbled) and anytime you see jumbled text on a video description. It's just the row is not being expanded

Agreed, the app is broken, and the exit icon is annoying, but a force exit is not required. Sometime it happens and sometime it doesn't
jeep05 likes this.
post #13809 of 36904 Old 11-26-2016, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe75xp View Post

can I get some more info please on how to manually update the tv? I tried a couple different things, and 3 different flash drives and it still won't detect the update. here's what I've tried so far:
1. Unzip the T-JZMAKUC folder to the root of the flash drive, did not work
2. Unzip the image folder to the root of the flash drive, did not work
3. Unzip the upgrade.msd and info.txt file to the root of the flash drive, did not work
4. Tried #1 to #3 with a NTFS formatted drive
5. Tried #1 to #3 with an exFAT formatted drive
6. Tried #1 to #3 with a USB 2.0 drive
7. Tried #1 to #3 with a USB 3.0 drive

every time I do auto update search then it fails to find an update, if I'm understanding correctly it should then pop up a message asking if I want to check the USB. This pop up never shows. Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?
post #13810 of 36904 Old 11-26-2016, 09:45 AM
NTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmovies View Post
can I get some more info please on how to manually update the tv? I tried a couple different things, and 3 different flash drives and it still won't detect the update. here's what I've tried so far:
1. Unzip the T-JZMAKUC folder to the root of the flash drive, did not work
2. Unzip the image folder to the root of the flash drive, did not work
3. Unzip the upgrade.msd and info.txt file to the root of the flash drive, did not work
4. Tried #1 to #3 with a NTFS formatted drive
5. Tried #1 to #3 with an exFAT formatted drive
6. Tried #1 to #3 with a USB 2.0 drive
7. Tried #1 to #3 with a USB 3.0 drive

every time I do auto update search then it fails to find an update, if I'm understanding correctly it should then pop up a message asking if I want to check the USB. This pop up never shows. Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?

1, 2, and 3. When you say did not work, do mean the unzipping process did not work, or the fact that the TV did not prompt you to search the USB drive.
post #13811 of 36904 Old 11-26-2016, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Try reformatting the drive to regular Fat32 and copy the unzipped image folder to its root.
post #13812 of 36904 Old 11-26-2016, 09:56 AM
NTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmovies View Post
Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?
Have you followed the instructions in
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00050091/

Mainly inserting USB before going to your settings.
post #13813 of 36904 Old 11-26-2016, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 908 Post(s)
Liked: 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by thyname View Post
As others had suggested here, set your STB to output at Native (or by checking 720P and 1080i), and let the KS do the upscaling
For DirecTV, you want Native Off on the DirecTV DVR.
post #13814 of 36904 Old 11-26-2016, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTC View Post
That started occurring when 1152.0 came out as I reported earlier this week.

No need todo a force exit. What is occurring is the video descriptions for that row are being grouped together on the first video for the row, instead of each video displaying individually on the row.

tw1st - on your photo, text were jumbled on the video under your recently uploaded, if you navigate to that video then use your right arrow (try to navigate to the right as if there was a video to the right) then everything FOR THAT ROW will become normal. You would need to do that under recommended (if jumbled) and anytime you see jumbled text on a video description. It's just the row is not being expanded

Agreed, the app is broken, and the exit icon is annoying, but a force exit is not required. Sometime it happens and sometime it doesn't
I actually ended doing a smart hub reset and it fixed the ussue, nice to know I can force quit by holding rhe back button thiugh wilo try that next time. Thank you!
post #13815 of 36904 Old 11-26-2016, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
I actually ended doing a smart hub reset and it fixed the ussue, nice to know I can force quit by holding rhe back button thiugh wilo try that next time. Thank you!
This will happen again. Trust me. I have this issue from 1142 firmware. I've tried to reset smart hub and after a while it happens again. I don't know why. If this happens again, just force quit the app. It will fix the problem when you lauch the app again.
jeep05 likes this.
post #13816 of 36904 Old 11-26-2016, 11:04 AM

Typing from mobile... so many spelling errors lol.

Since i just founs out about holding the back button to force quit it makes me wonder if I am missing anything else...

Any other tricks or tips that might be useful? Perhaps a way to quickly display video details?
post #13817 of 36904 Old 11-26-2016, 11:14 AM
NTC

Quote:
This will happen again. Trust me. I have this issue from 1142 firmware. I've tried to reset smart hub and after a while it happens again. I don't know why. If this happens again, just force quit the app. It will fix the problem when you lauch the app again.
Or just expand the row by pressing right arrow, this way you stay in youtube. The video row is expanded and stays that way. But it will occur again at some point in the future. If you rather do a force exit than just navigating with the right button that's fine too, I just don't see the point.
post #13818 of 36904 Old 11-26-2016, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by limitz View Post
Which 'color mode' for HDR: Auto or Native?

Currently testing Auto since I'm reading it is closest to source material, and Native over saturates.

And man, everyday I check-in here, it is growing 10 pages each day!
I think I used Auto as well, for the same reason.
limitz likes this.
post #13819 of 36904 Old 11-26-2016, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
How in the world do I get the remote that came with the TV to work the volume for all inputs. Right now it only works the volume for HDMI1 Time Warner. I can not get it to work the volume for my PS4 or Chromecast. I have to use the Vizio sound bar remote. Im using Optical cable because the TV would not detect my vizio sound bar.
post #13820 of 36904 Old 11-26-2016, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Need to mounth my KS8500

I want to mount my KS8500, but I have never mounted a curved tv before. The manual for the TV says to use M8 bolts that are 43-45 mm long (+spacers that came with tv), but the manual for the mount says I should use M8 30mm for the top and M8 40 mm for the bottom (+spacers that came with the mount).

So which should I follow? The TV manual or the mount manual?

If I follow the TV manual, do the top holes need 43mm and the bottom holes need 45mm? or does the 43mm-45mm specification mean the bolts can be between 43mm and 45mm for any of the holes?
post #13821 of 36904 Old 11-26-2016, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgood311 View Post
How in the world do I get the remote that came with the TV to work the volume for all inputs. Right now it only works the volume for HDMI1 Time Warner. I can not get it to work the volume for my PS4 or Chromecast. I have to use the Vizio sound bar remote. Im using Optical cable because the TV would not detect my vizio sound bar.
Go through the universal remote setup function
post #13822 of 36904 Old 11-26-2016, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1290 Post(s)
Liked: 1370
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker3in4 View Post
I want to mount my KS8500, but I have never mounted a curved tv before. The manual for the TV says to use M8 bolts that are 43-45 mm long (+spacers that came with tv), but the manual for the mount says I should use M8 30mm for the top and M8 40 mm for the bottom (+spacers that came with the mount).

If I follow the TV manual, do the top holes need 43mm and the bottom holes need 45mm? or does the 43mm-45mm specification mean the bolts can be between 43mm and 45mm for any of the holes?
Follow the TV manual. And do use the spacers that came with the TV. The bolts can be between 43 and 45 mm for any of the holes.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #13823 of 36904 Old 11-26-2016, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminader View Post
For DirecTV, you want Native Off on the DirecTV DVR.
Can you help me understand what turning "Native Off" actually does?

On my Directv DVR I can select 480i, 480P, 720P, 1080i and 1080P.

If I only check 1080P is the DVR sending an upscaled 1080P to my KS8000 when "Native" is turned off?

Is there an advantage to having the DVR upscale the signal vs. sending the native source and letting the KS8000 do all the upscaling?
post #13824 of 36904 Old 11-26-2016, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berniesidney View Post
Can you help me understand what turning "Native Off" actually does?

On my Directv DVR I can select 480i, 480P, 720P, 1080i and 1080P.

If I only check 1080P is the DVR sending an upscaled 1080P to my KS8000 when "Native" is turned off?

Is there an advantage to having the DVR upscale the signal vs. sending the native source and letting the KS8000 do all the upscaling?
Seems that most people, including me, find that it's best to tell the DirecTV box to output only 720p and 1080i and let the TV do the upscaling for better quality. So I select only those resolutions on the STB. With Native On, the STB may cause the TV to go black when source resolutions change.

See this site for more info: http://forums.solidsignal.com/conten...-s-Native-Mode
abward and King Richard like this.
post #13825 of 36904 Old 11-26-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Seems that most people, including me, find that it's best to tell the DirecTV box to output only 720p and 1080i and let the TV do the upscaling for better quality. So I select only those resolutions on the STB. With Native On, the STB may cause the TV to go black when source resolutions change.

See this site for more info: http://forums.solidsignal.com/conten...-s-Native-Mode
Thanks for the response and link.
post #13826 of 36904 Old 11-26-2016, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
Follow the TV manual. And do use the spacers that came with the TV. The bolts can be between 43 and 45 mm for any of the holes.
I would not go with 43mm (I don't know where you would get that anyway), and would definitely use 45mm. There are not a tremendous number of threads that make it into the inside metal frame, so you want as many as are needed.

See the 2nd pic in my post a week ago where I show how many threads make it into the TV.

Last edited by abward; 11-26-2016 at 12:31 PM.
post #13827 of 36904 Old 11-26-2016, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:

Yeah, the idea is to upscale only once, if you can. The TV is going to upscale to 4K, so if you send 720p or 1080i directly to it, then it upscales once. If you tell your cable/dish box to send 1080p, then you are upscaling 720p/1080i to that, and then the TV upscales again to 4K. If you have a newer/pricer AVR that will upscale to 4K better than the TV does, then you would let it do the upscaling for you (once).

Last edited by abward; 11-26-2016 at 12:33 PM.
post #13828 of 36904 Old 11-26-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abward View Post
I would not go with 43mm (I don't know where you would get that anyway), and would definitely use 45mm. There are not a tremendous number of threads that make it into the inside metal frame, so you want as many as are needed.

See the 2nd pic in my post a week ago where I show how many threads make it into the TV.
I couldn't find 45mm... so I used 50mm and 2 washers on each and it worked great.
post #13829 of 36904 Old 11-26-2016, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker3in4 View Post

Looks like Rolls already answered your question, but here's my write up on wall mounting the television. Outside of the bolts and the spacers that came with the television, don't deviate from the rest of your wall mount instructions.
King Richard likes this.

Official Samsung KS8000/8500 Owners Information PDF
Living Room: LG 55LE5500 Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360 w/Kinect
Bedroom: VIZIO E470VL VIZIO VSB200 Sound Bar Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360
Inner Sanctum: Samsung 65KS8000, Halo XBox One, GoW Xbox 360, Onkyo HT-S5300
post #13830 of 36904 Old 11-26-2016, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,

I have owned my 65KS8000 for about two weeks now. I think the TV is great, however, I also believe it may be defective. It seems to have a bend to it, or it is warped. The top left corner looks like it is bent back a centimeter. Putting a level against it makes it very obvious. Anyone else have this issue? Also, the TV seems to lean back a little. I can handle the lean, but the bend is noticeable and is frustrating. For the price of this thing, I am tempted to take it back.

I tried searching AVS and the web, but am not finding a ton about this. A few people seem to have bent screens, but has anyone returned their KS8000 for a new one and got a flatter/straighter screen? Or was the second one bent too?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
denon s740h , extra , hdmi input , KS8000/KS8500 , no picture , one connect fail , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page