Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 493 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 180088Likes

post #14761 of 36900 Old 12-02-2016, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by layzzzee8 View Post
The bright line at the bottom of the screen is warranting a return. Otherwise it looks average.
Quote:
Originally Posted by -griffy- View Post
Settling into my 60" KS800D from Costco. I'm pretty happy with the picture over all, but trying to figure out how much the light bleed is bugging me. How does this compare to others?

I would be much more concerned with the excessive clouding.
bruinsrme and joetech like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14762 of 36900 Old 12-02-2016, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangedman View Post
Repairman coming in today to get a look at my 65KS8500

Not sure what Samsung is going to do, the TV is 3 months old.
That sucks , unfortunately i am reading many have the same problem. Before they come take a clean microfiber clothe and try gently massaging the effected area. It may help a bit. This is my fear as mine is being shipped direct from Samsung and they don't swap out for a new set , only option is refund or repair.
post #14763 of 36900 Old 12-02-2016, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 64
60" Bezel vs. 65"

Can some post a picture of the 60 inch bezel and how it differs from the 55" and 65" models? I can't find good images of the 60".

I just placed an order for a UN60KS8000. I'm hoping this panel being a Sharp is a non-issue and is the same quality as the Samsung panels.

Thanks.

Last edited by ketamine; 12-02-2016 at 08:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14764 of 36900 Old 12-02-2016, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassedu View Post
That sucks , unfortunately i am reading many have the same problem. Before they come take a clean microfiber clothe and try gently massaging the effected area. It may help a bit. This is my fear as mine is being shipped direct from Samsung and they don't swap out for a new set , only option is refund or repair.
Man.. why is it so hard to buy a TV ?

I have a 55F8000 downstair, that tv is superb, wish they had the same model in 4K !
bruinsrme likes this.
post #14765 of 36900 Old 12-02-2016, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by varucell View Post
Did you decide to take it back, exchange it or keep, it. Mine seems more on the left too
Still have it. Was planning on returning it tomorrow, probably get the same results, hope not
post #14766 of 36900 Old 12-02-2016, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
well.... I received my 60" KS8000 from Samsung yesterday and I'm not happy. There's a gap between the back piece and the panel at the top middle, which I could ignore if it wasn't for the light bleed at two different spots at the edge (one shown below, the other is at the bottom left corner). I'm also not happy with the image quality and I'm wondering if my panel has other issues. HDR content looks great, but anything non HDR has some issues. First, I have to keep the dynamic contrast setting at at least medium or high or the picture looks fairly washed out. I also can't seem to get whites right, normal is too cool and warm 1 is too warm. I've played with all the color settings and I just can't get the thing to display natural color (it still looks good, it just looks slightly "off"). I'm also really unhappy with the game mode image quality. I have to turn down the sharp setting or everything looks way over sharpened on my PS4. I've heard of people turning this setting UP for games, I can't imagine. Anyone else experienced this? I'm kind of at a loss at what to do, maybe I should just return it and get the 55"?
post #14767 of 36900 Old 12-02-2016, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain83ita View Post
Same here, but I thought it was the game and how HDR has been designed on it. I used the same HDR settings used for The last of us, so smart led on high, color space on native, backlight 20 and dynamic contrast on medium…. On FFXV I had to set dynamic contrast on low because on medium it’s too much bright losing some details in bright areas. On low the banding are less visible too. Setting the dynamic contrast on off, banding seems even lesser but the dark areas seem to lose some details.
You shouldn't be using Dynamic Contrast at all. It's monkeying with the picture. That the banding is being emphasized by DC on medium suggests that it's part of the problem. I don't have FFXV, but Dynamic really hurts PQ on Uncharted 4 and TLOU by compressing shadow and highlight details.
post #14768 of 36900 Old 12-02-2016, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doelman View Post
well.... I received my 60" KS8000 from Samsung yesterday and I'm not happy. There's a gap between the back piece and the panel at the top middle, which I could ignore if it wasn't for the light bleed at two different spots at the edge (one shown below, the other is at the bottom left corner). I'm also not happy with the image quality and I'm wondering if my panel has other issues. HDR content looks great, but anything non HDR has some issues. First, I have to keep the dynamic contrast setting at at least medium or high or the picture looks fairly washed out. I also can't seem to get whites right, normal is too cool and warm 1 is too warm. I've played with all the color settings and I just can't get the thing to display natural color (it still looks good, it just looks slightly "off"). I'm also really unhappy with the game mode image quality. I have to turn down the sharp setting or everything looks way over sharpened on my PS4. I've heard of people turning this setting UP for games, I can't imagine. Anyone else experienced this? I'm kind of at a loss at what to do, maybe I should just return it and get the 55"?
Game Mode out of the box is a complete wreck. Don't use any of the default settings. Just write down what you use for Movie mode and copy it over.
The_Donster and mrtickleuk like this.
post #14769 of 36900 Old 12-02-2016, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
sorry, new here and my picture didn't upload for some reason.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5864.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	1802697  
post #14770 of 36900 Old 12-02-2016, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hello everyone,
I'm having ARC issues with my setup.
Bought a KS8000 a month ago and I have it hooked up to my receiver on the HDMI4 (ARC). Everything else is connected to the receiver (bluray, htpc).
I've enabled ARC+CEC on all devices and everything worked somewhat OK in the first 3 weeks, occasionally I had to turn off and on the receiver when ARC wasn't working but in the last week I can't get ARC to work anymore and the option to send sound to HDMI is not even in the sound menu anymore.
I've ran the Universal remote setup and added a home theater with a bluray player connected to it. The tests work OK (I can power off the receiver and bluray with the remote) and I can control the bluray player with the TV remote so CEC is working ok but I can't get ARC to work anymore.
I tried having the receiver on first and TV after. I've ran Initial Setup a few times.
Did a factory reset (Support>Self diagnosis>Reset) but this didn't work either.
I've manually upgraded to 1152.1 firmware hoping for a fix but no luck again.
I really don't know what else to do. I noticed that the factory reset doesn't reset absolutely everything, network settings are kept and I noticed it kept my postal code as well.
Is there any way to do a true complete reset? At this point I feel that it could be the only way I can get ARC to work again.

TV: Samsung UN65KS8000FXZA
UHD Bluray player: Samsung UBD-K8500
HTPC: 4K HDR ready with Nvidia 1050TI
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-LX501
Speakers: Polk 2x RTIA5, 1x CSIA4, 2x FXIA4
Sub: Velodyne DLS-5000R
post #14771 of 36900 Old 12-02-2016, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyst7 View Post
Not sure if you're joking or not, but the video on screen is a YouTube livestream (aka compressed, albeit 4k) and has literal clouds in the video. The clouding on the set actually isn't too bad, just the light bleed. In any case, I'm gonna return it tonight and try a 55". Hopefully that's up to my standards.
post #14772 of 36900 Old 12-02-2016, 08:49 AM

Liked: 23
Anyone here have any recommendations for a brighter picture. I am not looking for bright as in what you'd most likely see when walking through the store viewing but almost at that point. I know this is not the intended way for viewing but i personally tend to like a bit of a brighter picture . At the moment i have a 55'' LG 4k set up in the bedroom and after calibrating using disney wow and trying the picture settings my girl has decided she liked the vivid setting the best which is bright but the colors seem fine to us and tend to make everything pop a bit more . I'll have the 65'' ks8000 coming shortly and would like to make her happy if it does not throw the picture off too much. We are not videophiles and super serious about the way most things are intended to watch. Our Lg produces a super clear picture even though it does not have hdr , it was one of the cheaper models just to hold us off since our old set had broke on us and we needed something quickly but we both have been very happy with it and the picture. The only negative aspect so far would be watching different channels via cable box can sometimes be off.
post #14773 of 36900 Old 12-02-2016, 09:32 AM

Liked: 66
Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyst7 View Post
Hopefully you were joking, pretty sure that image has actual debris in it and it wasn't his set. I tend to use the /S tag to show i'm joking because... the internet.

"This is my BOOMSTICK!!!"
Ash, AOD
post #14774 of 36900 Old 12-02-2016, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassedu View Post
Anyone here have any recommendations for a brighter picture. I am not looking for bright as in what you'd most likely see when walking through the store viewing but almost at that point. I know this is not the intended way for viewing but i personally tend to like a bit of a brighter picture . At the moment i have a 55'' LG 4k set up in the bedroom and after calibrating using disney wow and trying the picture settings my girl has decided she liked the vivid setting the best which is bright but the colors seem fine to us and tend to make everything pop a bit more . I'll have the 65'' ks8000 coming shortly and would like to make her happy if it does not throw the picture off too much. We are not videophiles and super serious about the way most things are intended to watch. Our Lg produces a super clear picture even though it does not have hdr , it was one of the cheaper models just to hold us off since our old set had broke on us and we needed something quickly but we both have been very happy with it and the picture. The only negative aspect so far would be watching different channels via cable box can sometimes be off.
Simply use the rtings settings and then increase the backlight to get a brighter image. Bump color and sharpness up a few clicks if you like. Otherwise just use the dynamic or hdr+ modes if you prefer.
King Richard likes this.
post #14775 of 36900 Old 12-02-2016, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 36
So I've downloaded 1152 but I'm worried about the potential of "Bricking" my TV. Has this ever happened to anyone? Can it happen by loading beta software or I'm I just being overly cautious?
post #14776 of 36900 Old 12-02-2016, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Settling into my 60" KS800D from Costco. I'm pretty happy with the picture over all, but trying to figure out how much the light bleed is bugging me. How does this compare to others?
[Hi, first time poster, long time lurker.]

I had the 60-inch KS8000 model for about a week with the same bottom light bleed as you. It bugged the hell out of me because it would distort/lighten the color on greens, blues and grays. Surprisingly the light bleed did not affect blacks (or I just didn't notice it as much). I tried to ignore it as best I could but like others have said, "once you see you can't un-see".

Looking at your picture, do you also have a very thin bleed line at the top of your screen?

Since I was in my return window, plus I felt the 60-inch wasn't big enough for my room, I went ahead and returned it to BB and bought the 65-inch KS8500 FA01 (I know curve is a gimmick but I wanted more of a presence in my room along with the slightly bigger size). Also, the 65-inch has a more premium look b/c it did not have the thicker plastic bezel that the 60-inch had.

I've had the 65-inch for a couple of days now and it also has a small line of bleed similar to the 60-inch KS but it's a thinner line and something I may be able to live with. I just don't think you can escape it with the bottom edge-lit LEDs. What I really want is the back-lit KS9800 ($3K!) but I can't justify spending twice the amount!

Personally I would return it but I wouldn't get the same 60-inch model. While there is more of a panel lottery with the 55 and 65 inch models, I've seen 3 60-inch models with the same exact light bleed characteristics. Good luck!!!
post #14777 of 36900 Old 12-02-2016, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain83ita View Post
Same here, but I thought it was the game and how HDR has been designed on it. I used the same HDR settings used for The last of us, so smart led on high, color space on native, backlight 20 and dynamic contrast on medium…. On FFXV I had to set dynamic contrast on low because on medium it’s too much bright losing some details in bright areas. On low the banding are less visible too. Setting the dynamic contrast on off, banding seems even lesser but the dark areas seem to lose some details.
It is more than likely the game and not the TV. Looks like color banding.
Kain83ita likes this.
post #14778 of 36900 Old 12-02-2016, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb75 View Post
Still have it. Was planning on returning it tomorrow, probably get the same results, hope not
I would like to see pics of yours to see if yours is worse than mine. I am playing with the idea of just seeing if I can get it replaced. I purchased it from Dell so I think I might call them and see what they can do. I don't think I want to go smaller or return it all together. I feel like it might just be a minor annoyance. I am thinking about hanging the tv. Right now the the tv is lower that where I watch from wondering if I hang the tv if i wouldn't notice it as much.
post #14779 of 36900 Old 12-02-2016, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftboomer View Post
So I've downloaded 1152 but I'm worried about the potential of "Bricking" my TV. Has this ever happened to anyone? Can it happen by loading beta software or I'm I just being overly cautious?
I've installed it 2 days ago without issues. It's not beta, they just don't release the updates on all markets at the same time.
ftboomer and mrtickleuk like this.

TV: Samsung UN65KS8000FXZA
UHD Bluray player: Samsung UBD-K8500
HTPC: 4K HDR ready with Nvidia 1050TI
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-LX501
Speakers: Polk 2x RTIA5, 1x CSIA4, 2x FXIA4
Sub: Velodyne DLS-5000R
post #14780 of 36900 Old 12-02-2016, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketamine View Post
Can some post a picture of the 60 inch bezel and how it differs from the 55" and 65" models? I can't find good images of the 60".

I just placed an order for a UN60KS8000. I'm hoping this panel being a Sharp is a non-issue and is the same quality as the Samsung panels.

Thanks.
Unfortunately I don't have a picture, but I had the 60-inch for a week and now have the 65-inch curved and I can tell you there is a noticeable difference regarding the bezels.

The 60-inch bezel, while still thin by many standards, is a dark grey plastic and there is a thin silver frame around it. The 65-inch bezel however is thinner and has a black color BUT is under the glass panel which stretches across the whole front of the display to a thin silver frame. So it almost feels like there is no bezel and all screen (especially when the TV is off). My first impression was that the 65-inch had a more premium feel b/c of that.

Just my 2-cents
post #14781 of 36900 Old 12-02-2016, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Not sure if you're joking or not, but the video on screen is a YouTube livestream (aka compressed, albeit 4k) and has literal clouds in the video. The clouding on the set actually isn't too bad, just the light bleed. In any case, I'm gonna return it tonight and try a 55". Hopefully that's up to my standards.
Thank you, I have to remember to use a smiling emoticon
post #14782 of 36900 Old 12-02-2016, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by hailjack View Post
That's what is odd. It says 2160 and it doesn't cut out.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
That is good. Maybe the cable was over-spec.
post #14783 of 36900 Old 12-02-2016, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbenrus25 View Post
Any update from Corporate? I wonder how more people don't complain about this issue. Seems King Richard has had it for over a year so I'm not too optimistic this week get solved but it's pretty annoying. It's weird that both Comcast X1 and DirecTV boxes have it. My previous TV worked fine with my Comcast box so seems to be a Samsung issue (not sure why DirecTV would own the issue though). It's an issue that needs to be fixed though

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
I contacted my friend in the Comcast support group and he routed me to an expert in the "Special Operations Team". Believe it or not, they are aware of the issue and have been trying to solve it for a few months. The good news is that they now believe that they can fix the issue and will be including a fix in an upcoming audio feature update for X1 firmware to be downloaded in late December or early January. I'm going to be receiving an early update in the next few days to help them test the fix, and will let the group know if it's successful.

Of course this won't help for a DirecTV receiver, but its interesting that Comcast did not blame Samsung for the issue.
The_Donster likes this.
post #14784 of 36900 Old 12-02-2016, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Does anyone know what the future plan is for the One Connect box? Will it be upgradeable? say if Samsung release a better version next year, can we use them on this set if sold on its own?

I've just upgraded from an 8 year old plasma and don't plan on upgrading again for at least that long again so it would be good to know

Got the 49" and very happy with this set so far.
post #14785 of 36900 Old 12-02-2016, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by centex99 View Post
I just got this TV and have a 65VT60 myself. I've had a bit of burn in but nothing so bad I can see on any regular basis.
I'll let you know after I've used the new one some more... astetically it's gorgeous (small bezel, frame, etc). In regards to picture quality, I'm still deciding. At first glance, I think the plasma looked better with my dish network source, but haven't watched any 4k/hdr on it yet so hard to say based upon all sources. Also have just now started to adjust the settings. That quick comparison was before any adjustments.
Hey man, just curious how you were finding this TV compared to your old Panasonic VT60 now that you've had it a little longer?

How are the black levels and overall picture quality in comparison?
post #14786 of 36900 Old 12-02-2016, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Thanks for the reply! I saw your images and the bezel looks good to me. I didn't see the light bleed in the images. I'm sorry you're having issues. Some people say they love their 60". I really don't want to step down but I don't think the extra 5" is worth nearly $300 for the 65. I'm going to wait 'til mine arrives I guess.

Did you order directly from Samsung? Their site says they charge restocking fee for undamaged returns. I hope they don't charge for returns. Would like to hear what you decide to do and how it works out.
post #14787 of 36900 Old 12-02-2016, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanookdi View Post
[Hi, first time poster, long time lurker.]

I had the 60-inch KS8000 model for about a week with the same bottom light bleed as you. It bugged the hell out of me because it would distort/lighten the color on greens, blues and grays. Surprisingly the light bleed did not affect blacks (or I just didn't notice it as much). I tried to ignore it as best I could but like others have said, "once you see you can't un-see".

Looking at your picture, do you also have a very thin bleed line at the top of your screen?

Since I was in my return window, plus I felt the 60-inch wasn't big enough for my room, I went ahead and returned it to BB and bought the 65-inch KS8500 FA01 (I know curve is a gimmick but I wanted more of a presence in my room along with the slightly bigger size). Also, the 65-inch has a more premium look b/c it did not have the thicker plastic bezel that the 60-inch had.

I've had the 65-inch for a couple of days now and it also has a small line of bleed similar to the 60-inch KS but it's a thinner line and something I may be able to live with. I just don't think you can escape it with the bottom edge-lit LEDs. What I really want is the back-lit KS9800 ($3K!) but I can't justify spending twice the amount!

Personally I would return it but I wouldn't get the same 60-inch model. While there is more of a panel lottery with the 55 and 65 inch models, I've seen 3 60-inch models with the same exact light bleed characteristics. Good luck!!!
The LED light source is along the top and bottom edge, so a little light bleed is inherent to all KS models at all sizes. The light bleed of some panels is less obvious and some is more obvious, hence the term "panel lottery".
alucard_x, jeep05 and The_Donster like this.
post #14788 of 36900 Old 12-02-2016, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by wt tvg View Post
I contacted my friend in the Comcast support group and he routed me to an expert in the "Special Operations Team". Believe it or not, they are aware of the issue and have been trying to solve it for a few months. The good news is that they now believe that they can fix the issue and will be including a fix in an upcoming audio feature update for X1 firmware to be downloaded in late December or early January. I'm going to be receiving an early update in the next few days to help them test the fix, and will let the group know if it's successful.

Of course this won't help for a DirecTV receiver, but its interesting that Comcast did not blame Samsung for the issue.
Ah, I hope so. That'll be great!

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
post #14789 of 36900 Old 12-02-2016, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzan View Post
Does anyone know what the future plan is for the One Connect box? Will it be upgradeable? say if Samsung release a better version next year, can we use them on this set if sold on its own?

I've just upgraded from an 8 year old plasma and don't plan on upgrading again for at least that long again so it would be good to know

Got the 49" and very happy with this set so far.
Our OCB is a mini version and does not have any video processor in it, unlike the full version of OCB. The HDMI ports maybe upgradable for new HDMI versions, but I doubt any new hardware feature can be added. There is no future proof TV, as the new feature has not yet revealed itself.
Rudy1 likes this.
post #14790 of 36900 Old 12-02-2016, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangedman View Post
Repairman coming in today to get a look at my 65KS8500

Not sure what Samsung is going to do, the TV is 3 months old.
Sorry man, what a bummer :-(

In the 4th grey picture, the area you outlined in red at the bottom, does that match up to where the TV mount brackets are at? Could pressure from the mount and gravity be damaging your TV?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
denon s740h , extra , hdmi input , KS8000/KS8500 , no picture , one connect fail , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page