Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 572 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 179943Likes

post #17131 of 36649 Old 12-16-2016, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post

I'm still confused about this, I can't understand how this would happen, I thought I saw a post about it the other day with a screenshot but when I searched over and over later that night I couldn't find it.
It's the same version of the App, with two different screen layouts? Something else surely must be causing it to drop into a different set of routines within the App.
Here's the pic. It was me who posted it a couple of days ago. There are categories all along the top now. I got a message when entering the app notifying me about this change, but it's still the same version of the app.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17132 of 36649 Old 12-16-2016, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked: 2143
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropSquad View Post
So now they are FORCING us to agree to their ads or we can not use smart hub.

**** Samsung. Im starting to regret my decision.
This is exactly why I said earlier, I foresee a class action lawsuit against them. It's being forced on us. We can't use the normal function of the TV that was already paid for and were never informed this would be happening. Not going to end well.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #17133 of 36649 Old 12-16-2016, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 277
By the way, I'm not experiencing the other issues others have been - i.e. losing apps or having general issues with Smart Hub. It's only the back button on the YouTube app that isn't working.
The_Donster likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17134 of 36649 Old 12-16-2016, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Hello, just got a KS8000 55 and after the recommended calibration and watching Grand Tour on amazon prime UHD HDR, I´m no missing my Panasonic plasma, i was worried for the black levels and light bleed, but so far its been surprisingly good.

Only annoyance is that ARC doesn't pass 5.1 audio from external signals (Nvidia Shield), only internal apps and tv signal. My AVR doesn't support HDCP 2.2, so only 2 options, Use Shield with no 5.1 audio, or use internal apps and drop shield. Guess I´m gonna have to upgrade my AVR so I can plug shield and use it like its supposed to, 4k HDR and 5.1 when available. I´m not convinced with the HDCP 2.2 tricks out there..

For the rest, everything is working smooth, so far so good. happy with my purchase.

cheers
NTC, Terminader, LG4k and 1 others like this.
post #17135 of 36649 Old 12-16-2016, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipperGP View Post
Question for you PS4 Pro owners. For HDR games do you always set the Backlight to 20 and Contrast to 100?
I see some of you are using Backlight on 7 for HDR...isn't that really to low?

Poslano s mobilnog telefona S7
For me, backlight at 20 is too high for my basement setup.

I followed a link with a very good calibration review from an AVS member on the 9000 series and how he was able to achieve most of the HDR benefits with backlight set at 14.

I've been using this and have been happy with the HDR content being displayed so far.
King Richard and mrtickleuk like this.
post #17136 of 36649 Old 12-16-2016, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niquity View Post
So has anyone tried using 25+ feet HDMI cables for this TV connected to a PC? Currently using a 10 foot cable but would like to actually keep it hidden.

I've heard that anything longer than 10 feet is a no-go so was just curious if anyone had success when connected to a PC @ 4:4:4 60hz.
I've been using a gold plated 25ft HDMI cable since years, and even with this TV no problems.
Terminader and King Richard like this.

65" KS8000
Onkyo HT-S5800
Beyerdynamics DT 990 Pro
PS4 Pro
Xbox One S
post #17137 of 36649 Old 12-16-2016, 10:26 AM
NTC

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by muskiehutner51 View Post
Okay, I checked there nd its npt showing up for the US site. My tv also doesnt show 1154 available, shows me up to date at 1150. Thanks for the help though!
Recommend going to 1152.1 instead of 1154 which created problems for some. 1152.1 will give you HDR for Youtube without breaking it. Here's the link:

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co.../T-JZMAKUC.zip
post #17138 of 36649 Old 12-16-2016, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by booloo View Post

I followed a link with a very good calibration review from an AVS member on the 9000 series and how he was able to achieve most of the HDR benefits with backlight set at 14.

I've been using this and have been happy with the HDR content being displayed so far.
Can you share settings?

My back button also don't work on YT. That's so annoying.

Poslano s mobilnog telefona S7
post #17139 of 36649 Old 12-16-2016, 10:34 AM
NTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by blenky View Post
I did try this and as you suggest it screwed up my app page and Amazon would not load. Also ad was still there! Removed blocks and all well- but with annoying Google Play ad!.
The only one I use time to time is the blocking firmware update, because although I have auto update turned off it can update in certain user input scenarios.

When my TV is working perfectly, then there is no need for me to get an update, unless of a new feature I want, like Youtube HDR that came in 1152.0. I was on 1141 and went to 1152 skip the 2 updates in between, and I was still happy with my TV. As some are learning now, not every firmware update improves the TV.
Terminader and joe75xp like this.
post #17140 of 36649 Old 12-16-2016, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio Molina View Post
Hello, just got a KS8000 55 and after the recommended calibration and watching Grand Tour on amazon prime UHD HDR, I´m no missing my Panasonic plasma, i was worried for the black levels and light bleed, but so far its been surprisingly good.

Only annoyance is that ARC doesn't pass 5.1 audio from external signals (Nvidia Shield), only internal apps and tv signal. My AVR doesn't support HDCP 2.2, so only 2 options, Use Shield with no 5.1 audio, or use internal apps and drop shield. Guess I´m gonna have to upgrade my AVR so I can plug shield and use it like its supposed to, 4k HDR and 5.1 when available. I´m not convinced with the HDCP 2.2 tricks out there..

For the rest, everything is working smooth, so far so good. happy with my purchase.

cheers
You could buy this and run an optical cable (double check all specs are met):

https://www.amazon.com/AV-Access-Ext...+audio+extract

I would get it from Amazon so that you can easily send it back should there be a problem or audio sync issue.
post #17141 of 36649 Old 12-16-2016, 10:44 AM
NTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serioga View Post
UPDATE:
After an other 2 hour phone session with Samsung they concluded that it was a hardware problem. They have sent a technician over a couple of days ago. He changed the motherboard and the WiFi card. The whole thing took about 10 minutes. By the way, very professional and courteous service.

NOW ALL IS GOOD.
All streaming apps go on for hours non-stop.
Although, Hulu sometimes glitches after the Ads, but I thinks it is a Hulu bug.
Has you wifi speed stayed the same, or did it improve with the new parts?
Terminader and The_Donster like this.
post #17142 of 36649 Old 12-16-2016, 10:55 AM
NTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
Samsung appears to be changing their web sites. I'm unable to navigate to the firmware download at the US site. It's still available at the Korean site (Samsung.com/sec), although I don't see a version number, just a release date. (Use the translate feature of the Chrome browser, if you can't read Korean.) It's the same file as for the US market.

I wonder whether Samsung is moving away from making firmware updates available for download.
They started to change their website yesterday, worldwide. The US support page for SUHD defaults to 2015 JS FAQ. The korean site for most of the day was similar, but late afternoon they showed the new web page style with the firmware, which is still 1154.0 but different time stamp. Hopefully the same will happen for US web page.

However, there are a few countries' support pages that Samsung decided not to display firmware updates, just guides and manuals. For those countries firmware updates are only available through the TV. Let's hope Samsung makes a good business decision here.
post #17143 of 36649 Old 12-16-2016, 11:04 AM
NTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm19 View Post
Through DLNA. I bought the TV around a month ago, so it must have the newer firmware.
I do not have the Prime but I can still stream SD and HD to the TV thru DLNA. Are you trying to stream premium channels using the CableCard, if so it may be a flag issue. If you are getting SD only then it's something Silicondust, which provides excellent customer support, will be able to tell you to explain. Open a ticket with them.
post #17144 of 36649 Old 12-16-2016, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWatters View Post
Mine didn't return until I went into the terms and conditions part of the settings menu and authorized Internet Based Advertisements.
That's exactly what it did to me. Mine all vanished. but returned when it FORCED me back into terms and agreed to the BS.

Marantz 7702MKII/Outlaw 7140 65" 4k Samsung KS8000
i7 4770K/16 gig 2133/970's SLI 840 PRO SSD
Paradigm Studio v3 100/570/20's/470's/2200 Sub
post #17145 of 36649 Old 12-16-2016, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Has anyone noticed while in HDR mode this set Dims quick.. Reaches peak brightness for a few seconds and then auto dims.. Shouldn't HDR and a tv with HDR specs be able to hold the peak bright settings the whole time without auto dimming .. defeats the purpose ..
post #17146 of 36649 Old 12-16-2016, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2409 Post(s)
Liked: 1708
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post
This is exactly why I said earlier, I foresee a class action lawsuit against them. It's being forced on us. We can't use the normal function of the TV that was already paid for and were never informed this would be happening. Not going to end well.
So far, my "interest based" (not Internet based) ads have usually consisted of a single extra item in the bar. I don't like it, but it doesn't strike me as worthy of a class action lawsuit. Feel free to disagree.

If I was a Galaxy Note 7 buyer, on the other hand...
post #17147 of 36649 Old 12-16-2016, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2409 Post(s)
Liked: 1708
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyKnights View Post
Has anyone noticed while in HDR mode this set Dims quick.. Reaches peak brightness for a few seconds and then auto dims.. Shouldn't HDR and a tv with HDR specs be able to hold the peak bright settings the whole time without auto dimming .. defeats the purpose ..
It has been noted, mainly in the context of mostly dark scenes. Search the thread for "CE Dimming". It's a feature that could be disabled for 2015 Samsung TVs, but no one has posted a way of doing it so far for the newer TVs.

It also appears in the rtings.com peak brightness measurement. They give a peak sustained brightness that is much lower than the short-term one.
post #17148 of 36649 Old 12-16-2016, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 5073 Post(s)
Liked: 7395
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWatters View Post
Mine didn't return until I went into the terms and conditions part of the settings menu and authorized Internet Based Advertisements.
Are you certain?
There's no Internet-Based ads for me.
Only Interest-Based ads.

So many people keep saying this over and over I'm getting the feeling that the USA models alone genuinely do have Internet-based ads. Please could someone post a screenshot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdsquared2 View Post
Also, if you switch to that input with HDR active (or, while media you assume or expect is HDR is playing), the popup at the top listing the source name on the left, and resolution information on the right should say UHD as well as HDR in small print. I haven't had success with a guaranteed-replication method to bring up the source info pop-up for the top of the screen while in the source, but pressing the home button a few times and back a few times in different orders often brings it up.
Very nice guide. It's important to however, that this info bar only shows what's being received, not displayed. For instance, in "Natural" and "Dynamic" modes which can't process HDR, it'll still merrily say HDR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booloo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipperGP View Post
Can you share settings?
Even better than that, here's the link: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...cd-review.html

After reading imagic's excellent review I too decided to reduce my backlight.
My "night" settings use Movie picture mode. Backlight is 5 normally and 14 for HDR. This gives 120nits for SDR and the full 1000 nits for HDR. Ie you don't need more than 14 to get 1000 nits in a properly dark room.
During the day, we need more brightness, so I use "Standard" with backlight at 16 normally (gives 300 nits) and 20 for HDR (gives 1350 nits).

But whenever possible, I close the blind during the day and use the "night" settings anyway

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #17149 of 36649 Old 12-16-2016, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Quote:
It has been noted, mainly in the context of mostly dark scenes. Search the thread for "CE Dimming". It's a feature that could be disabled for 2015 Samsung TVs, but no one has posted a way of doing it so far for the newer TVs.

It also appears in the rtings.com peak brightness measurement. They give a peak sustained brightness that is much lower than the short-term one.

I hear you .. So would you say your happy with watching HDR sources..Is it that much better than just regular 4k.. Or do to the dimming leaves a little to be desired
post #17150 of 36649 Old 12-16-2016, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked: 2143
Quote:
So far, my "interest based" (not Internet based) ads have usually consisted of a single extra item in the bar. I don't like it, but it doesn't strike me as worthy of a class action lawsuit. Feel free to disagree.

I'm not saying I am going to. But there certainly are people out there that jump at any opportunity. And it's more than just a small ad. They made people agree to a blank agreement, and forced people to agree to terms to continue using a product they already paid for. These new forced agreements weren't part of the original purchase.
King Richard likes this.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #17151 of 36649 Old 12-16-2016, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
I've got Standard (HDR and SDR), Movie (HDR and SDR). Also by unlocking them in the service menu, Cal-Night (HDR and SDR) and Cal-Day (HDR and SDR) so that's 4 rather than 1
What is Cal-Night and Cal-Day modes like?
post #17152 of 36649 Old 12-16-2016, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio Molina View Post

cheers
I used my shield last night to watch a 4K encode with HDR of Mad Max Fury Road. It looked beautiful. I got the pop up that an HDR video was playing and everything. I had 5.1 audio using optical coming from the OCB. I do not use ARC. I plan on upgrading my AVR to an X1300W soon so I can utilize the DTS-MA audio in the encodes but for now optical will have to do.
King Richard likes this.
post #17153 of 36649 Old 12-16-2016, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdsquared2 View Post
You could buy this and run an optical cable (double check all specs are met):

https://www.amazon.com/AV-Access-Ext...+audio+extract

I would get it from Amazon so that you can easily send it back should there be a problem or audio sync issue.
No Need. Just run an optical cable from the OCB to the receiver.
King Richard likes this.
post #17154 of 36649 Old 12-16-2016, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB4XSBC View Post
Here's the pic. It was me who posted it a couple of days ago. There are categories all along the top now. I got a message when entering the app notifying me about this change, but it's still the same version of the app.

Thanks! I definitely don't get that. Very odd, I still don't know what's going on with the YouTube. It's now stopped recognising STOP, PLAY, PAUSE and RETURN buttons on my remote. I think it's just buggy.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #17155 of 36649 Old 12-16-2016, 12:15 PM
NTC

Quote:

Quote:
Are you certain?
There's no Internet-Based ads for me.
Only Interest-Based ads.

So many people keep saying this over and over I'm getting the feeling that the USA models alone genuinely do have Internet-based ads. Please could someone post a screenshot?
No need for a screen shot as it is the same, Interest Based Advertisement.

As to a class acction, I've stated before that when looking at all the problems in the world, this issue rates pretty low. That being said, not allowing people to see the terms to an agreement is rather tasteless. Per a Samsung chat:
"Har**** R: I have checked the information the details for the Internet Based Advertisement is not available online."
post #17156 of 36649 Old 12-16-2016, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard_x View Post
What is Cal-Night and Cal-Day modes like?
They are identical copies of Movie as far as I've read. Full 10-point and 2-point White Balance is possible (would be silly if not as they are intended for professional calibration!).

However, their implementation in the UI isn't great. Quite sloppy, actually:

• They are ALL IN CAPITALS WHICH I FIND ANNOYING AND UNNECESSARY.
  • That menu stays the same size and then scrolls, instead of being 6 entries high to accommodate 2 more entries. There's no huge gap in PC mode when there's only 2 entries so they know how to shrink the menu, so... ?!
  • The Smart^H^H^H^H^HStupid Hub says "Undefined Picture Mode".
NTC, Terminader and King Richard like this.

post #17157 of 36649 Old 12-16-2016, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by layzzzee8 View Post
No Need. Just run an optical cable from the OCB to the receiver.
I've come to hate that thing. It's been causing audio delay issues for me no matter the source or with A/V on or off or with optical or ARC HDMI or with bitstream or PCM. But, sometimes the audio delay goes away. Sometimes it's pretty annoying. Even replaced all cables with brand new, premium 2.0 certified and brand new optical and reset my A/V, KS8000, and Xbox One S back to factory settings and didn't get much better. I also hate it because of it only passing certain things through optical or ARC on the One Connect Box.
post #17158 of 36649 Old 12-16-2016, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTC View Post
Has you wifi speed stayed the same, or did it improve with the new parts?
The wifi speed stayed the same - between 50 and 60 Mbps. However, the SmartHub seems to be more responsive.
NTC and The_Donster like this.
post #17159 of 36649 Old 12-16-2016, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
They are identical copies of Movie as far as I've read. Full 10-point and 2-point White Balance is possible (would be silly if not as they are intended for professional calibration!).

However, their implementation in the UI isn't great. Quite sloppy, actually:

• They are ALL IN CAPITALS WHICH I FIND ANNOYING AND UNNECESSARY.
  • That menu stays the same size and then scrolls, instead of being 6 entries high to accommodate 2 more entries. There's no huge gap in PC mode when there's only 2 entries so they know how to shrink the menu, so... ?!
  • The Smart^H^H^H^H^HStupid Hub says "Undefined Picture Mode".
can you test if those dim when majority of screen is dark? (with eco, smart led and DC turned off)

if it doesnt i might need to unlock those modes
post #17160 of 36649 Old 12-16-2016, 12:46 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 155
The internet based advertisement is in reference to the "Samsung extra" feature. Which advertises new theatrical movie releases and related internet fetched information to spefic programs that support the feature.

These advertisements where always present on this pracricuar set, it's just now that you are being asked to opt in to them

(presumably to make you aware of them and save themselves any lawsuits)

Last edited by rego00123; 12-16-2016 at 12:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
denon s740h , extra , hdmi input , KS8000/KS8500 , no picture , one connect fail , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page