Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 577 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 179943Likes

post #17281 of 36647 Old 12-17-2016, 05:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willland View Post
Same here for my 9500 65".

Thanks,
Bill
Yes it worked for me too. Great. Thanx guys!
The_Donster likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17282 of 36647 Old 12-17-2016, 05:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post
Hello, welcome! From what you said, you have your components all connected to the AVR, which is then connected to the OCB. With this set up, you will not get input icons or input names on the Samsung TV. That's only if you are connecting all devices to the OCB. However, for input 4 on the OCB, which is your AVR, you should see it labeled as Receiver.

Your Harmony should work flawlessly. I have no issues with my Harmony One controlling all my devices, which are ran through my AVR as well. HTH.

Curious to hear if yours is labeled Receiver. Mine was for the first 2 days then disappeared to PC. I got it back but it says Comcast now.
post #17283 of 36647 Old 12-17-2016, 05:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I wonder if these issues owners are having are specific to the different 8000/8500 models set for each store, like costco models, best buy models etc. I received mine in the mail yesterday from Samsung direct, and although I haven't had a lot of screen time on it I'm not getting the issues others are complaining about. The dimming problem was happening to me at first, but a simple switch off in the eco settings solved it immediately.
King Richard likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17284 of 36647 Old 12-17-2016, 06:16 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logikbrooklyn View Post
I wonder if these issues owners are having are specific to the different 8000/8500 models set for each store, like costco models, best buy models etc. I received mine in the mail yesterday from Samsung direct, and although I haven't had a lot of screen time on it I'm not getting the issues others are complaining about. The dimming problem was happening to me at first, but a simple switch off in the eco settings solved it immediately.

The problem is that most issues don't creep up until later. My set was PERFECT during the first month. Almost ZERO issues. But as I stated in my previous post, with each week and each new update, everything has been getting worse. It's at a point now where I want to get rid of this thing as soon as I can. And I'm someone who's been praising the KS8000 on these forums religiously.

It's taken a solid 3 months for the KS8000 to go from perfect to awful. If I had to score it, I would have given it an A- when I bought it, and maybe a C or C- right now. Maybe even lower if the hardware issues continue to get worse.

I'm really sad to say, but my experience with the KS8000 went from amazing to terrible...very gradually.
Ricker62 likes this.
post #17285 of 36647 Old 12-17-2016, 06:17 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGameScouts View Post
Keep in mind, I didn't have most of these issues in the first few months of owning the TV. I was convinced I had a solid set. Some hiccups were minor, but most major issues started developing over time.

I'm noticing this trend in this forum since I've been following it from day one. Lots of issues creeping up with users who've had the set for a while. I know some of you guys have flawless sets...but I want to address the other users here. Do you guys feel like the KS8000 is getting worse the longer you have it? I went from being blown away...to feeling completely ripped off, and unable to return/exchange the set.

What a disastrous year it's been for TV shopping. Had to go through several Sonys and Vizios before I ended up with the KS8000. Thought I struck gold...and now...hell, now I keep looking over at my 5-year old Samsung in the bedroom and wondering why it's running better than my brand new 2016 set.
Im the opposite in that I thought the TV was underwhelming at first and then got better over time. I think it can be agreed on that the TV has actually gotten better through firmware updates and added features.

I do agree that 2016 was a hard time to shop TVs but in the end I was able to walk away with a mid grade TN LCD that could compete with a 2yr old flagship plasma at less than half its price.
Terminader likes this.

post #17286 of 36647 Old 12-17-2016, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe75xp View Post
Im the opposite in that I thought the TV was underwhelming at first and then got better over time. I think it can be agreed on that the TV has actually gotten better through firmware updates and added features.

I do agree that 2016 was a hard time to shop TVs but in the end I was able to walk away with a mid grade TN LCD that could compete with a 2yr old flagship plasma at less than half its price.
I am glad things are getting better for you! I really mean that. Trust me...I really wish I could say the same thing.
But, based on all the complaints that have started popping up here over the last few months...the "perfect" sets seem to be unicorns, and if you're lucky enough to have one, you're in the minority. Heck, even the Amazon reviews started dropping with the recent firmware updates. I'm not exactly sure why the updates are affecting everyone differently, but there's definitely something fishy going on on Samsung's end once again.

And in my case specifically, my set was flawless at first...and is practically a dud 3 months later.
Ricker62 likes this.
post #17287 of 36647 Old 12-17-2016, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Maintain permanent bluetooth speaker output.

Hi all.

I have a Beoplay A6 bluetooth speaker that I have just bought and connected to the TV via bluetooth. Is there a way to permanently connect the speaker to the TV so that it is the default audio source every time I switch the tv on? I have selected bluetooth speaker as the output and paired with the A6 and it works fine but this reverts to the TV speaker each time I switch the TV off then on again. This is annoying as when previously connected to a Libratone Lounge speaker via optical, the output source remained unchanged all the time.

Thank you for any help in advance.

Andy.
post #17288 of 36647 Old 12-17-2016, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
I am glad things are getting better for you! I really mean that. Trust me...I really wish I could say the same thing.
But, based on all the complaints that have started popping up here over the last few months...the "perfect" sets seem to be unicorns, and if you're lucky enough to have one, you're in the minority. Heck, even the Amazon reviews started dropping with the recent firmware updates. I'm not exactly sure why the updates are affecting everyone differently, but there's definitely something fishy going on on Samsung's end once again.

And in my case specifically, my set was flawless at first...and is practically a dud 3 months later.
I am glad that I have never connected my 65 inch to the Internet and will probably not do so in the future. It is working just fine and from the comments on this forum the updates are just degrading the TV. I view all Internet sites via a Roku and not the Smart Hub feature of this TV.
MilitantBEEMER likes this.
post #17289 of 36647 Old 12-17-2016, 07:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyCircus View Post
I've been searching the website for some specifics but havent had much success finding the same TV & AVR combination, so I was glad to stumble upon your post.

I just recently got the KS8000 and a Yamaha 679 and I'm losing my mind trying to get things connected properly. Right now, I have the cable box and BD player both into the 679 and only one HDMI out to the ARC port on the OCB.

Everything works fine, but the input lables and onscreen displays are all wrong.

Would you mind sharing your configuration? Also, did you need to rerun the Yamaha setup wizard repeatly to get things dialed in?

Finally, once everything is dialed in I'm hoping to use my Harmony 650 to control everything...but until i can get everything dialed in, its practically useless.

Thanks in advance.
I returned my KS8000 a couple days after I got it, so unfortunately I can't offer much advice. Hopefully others can. I do know that I had some trouble where the input 4 on the TV would automatically rename itself depending on what my receiver was spitting out, but it would get confused and say AppleTV even when I switched to my PS4. I didn't really have time to figure it out before returning the TV though.
post #17290 of 36647 Old 12-17-2016, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1652 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:

What problems have happened?
post #17291 of 36647 Old 12-17-2016, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aron7awol View Post
A few notes...

Color Space Auto is simply broken in HDR+ mode. You aren't taking advantage of the color gamut expansion of HDR+ in that case.
What should you set color space for HDR+ mode?
post #17292 of 36647 Old 12-17-2016, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked: 2143
Quote:
Originally Posted by zags85 View Post
Curious to hear if yours is labeled Receiver. Mine was for the first 2 days then disappeared to PC. I got it back but it says Comcast now.
Yes. Mine shows Receiver. I also do have a label showing DirecTV. I have DirecTV connected through my AVR. It did ask me my cable provider during setup, and the Samsung has a built in RVU tuner, so I believe that's why it also displays DirecTV with my Receiver. I've never had my label change to PC.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #17293 of 36647 Old 12-17-2016, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Sigh...I'm noticing this trend in this forum since I've been following it from day one. Lots of issues creeping up with users who've had the set for a while. I know some of you guys have flawless sets...but I want to address the other users here. Do you guys feel like the KS8000 is getting worse the longer you have it? I went from being blown away...to feeling completely ripped off, and unable to return/exchange the set.(
I was willing to accept a few flaws in my panel initially that seemed normal for the KS8000 (top glow), and then my panel started to degrade even further (or at least I started to notice serious problems with the backlight.)

I ultimately had to get it replaced and after about six calls was successful in doing so a couple days ago.

As for the stuttering, glitching, etc... that is definitely getting worse.
post #17294 of 36647 Old 12-17-2016, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked: 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by warmywhite View Post
Hi all.

I have a Beoplay A6 bluetooth speaker that I have just bought and connected to the TV via bluetooth. Is there a way to permanently connect the speaker to the TV so that it is the default audio source every time I switch the tv on? I have selected bluetooth speaker as the output and paired with the A6 and it works fine but this reverts to the TV speaker each time I switch the TV off then on again. This is annoying as when previously connected to a Libratone Lounge speaker via optical, the output source remained unchanged all the time.

Thank you for any help in advance.

Andy.
Bluetooth connection has to be renegotiated between components, and a "new" network of sender and receiver created, every time they are started up. Optical is a full-time physical connection - no negotiation needed - which is why the output source remained selected all the time.
The_Donster and King Richard like this.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #17295 of 36647 Old 12-17-2016, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Maybe I never noticed this before, but in the OTA channel guide if you select enter in a future program you get the option to schedule viewing. Is this new or has it always been a feature?
post #17296 of 36647 Old 12-17-2016, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Just an FYI my TV auto updated to 1155 today and so far everything is working as it should. Haven't tried 4K Youtube vids but the back button is working as intended.
NTC, The_Donster and King Richard like this.
post #17297 of 36647 Old 12-17-2016, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 5066 Post(s)
Liked: 7388
Quote:
Originally Posted by checker9 View Post
What should you set color space for HDR+ mode?
A question which has a specific tangible answer! At the moment, use "Native" color space in HDR+ mode.

Hopefully they'll fix it in future so that we can go back to defaulting to Auto.
NTC and Terminader like this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #17298 of 36647 Old 12-17-2016, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogeanx View Post
here is the dimming issue in REAL TIME
In this example I am in PC mode with SMARTLED LOW, you will see constant back and forth dimming and brightening - its not the camera, its the TV

https://streamable.com/h3nzz
My son is a gamer. We both have Samsung TV's. He has had this problem. As did I. Not the same model but the same issue. The way I fixed it for him was as follows. Menu: eco solution under system. Turn off eco sensor. Advanced settings: Motion lighting. off. That corrected it. Hope this helps. Peace
The_Donster likes this.
post #17299 of 36647 Old 12-17-2016, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New member and fairly new KS8000 60" owner.

I have a Roku Ultra, a Bluray player and my Sony receiver I'm trying to get to work together.

Roku is necessary for apps not available on the TV of course. Most of all my Tablo app for streaming my OTA content.

I have everything connected to the one connect box with the receiver in the ARC HDMI. The receiver has an ARC HDMI port.

My problem is every day when I turn the set back on my sound reverts back to only coming out of the TV and I have to manually reset the sound out put to the HDMI receiver option.
Sometimes it's not even there. Sometimes it's there but no sound even when selected.
Eventually it will come on if I change back and forth between settings and miraculously it starts working.

I was getting the blue screen about 4k content but seem to have that worked out.

I bought 3 new HDMI cables when I hooked all this up so I don't think that's it. They are described as such... HDMI Cable 6ft - HDMI 2.0 Ready (UHD 4K @ 60Hz, 18Gbps) - Braided Cord (28AWG) - Ultra High Speed - Ethernet & Audio Return - Video 4K 2160p, HD 1080p, 3D - Xbox, PlayStation, PS3, PS4, PC, Apple TV

I'm wondering if an update to the TV has changed things and if I need to unplug everything and reset the TV and start all over? I hope not!

Sorry if this is all explained somewhere on this site and I couldn't find it!
post #17300 of 36647 Old 12-17-2016, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKeithC View Post
My problem is every day when I turn the set back on my sound reverts back to only coming out of the TV and I have to manually reset the sound out put to the HDMI receiver option.
Sometimes it's not even there. Sometimes it's there but no sound even when selected.
Eventually it will come on if I change back and forth between settings and miraculously it starts working.
I really only have my receiver set up with the TV on optical out. It still gives me issues every time i power it up. No sound at all even when scrolling through menus. If I go to spotify app and play a song, nothing. BUT! If I go to amazon, turn on any show for 2 seconds, sound kicks in, and then i exit out and sounds is good from then on out.

Kind of annoying, and I have no idea how to fix it.

I have tried going into settings and changing sound **** directly from there but it never seems to help. The only thing that does the trick is turning on a show from the amazon app then it works everywhere.
post #17301 of 36647 Old 12-17-2016, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropSquad View Post
I really only have my receiver set up with the TV on optical out. It still gives me issues every time i power it up. No sound at all even when scrolling through menus. If I go to spotify app and play a song, nothing. BUT! If I go to amazon, turn on any show for 2 seconds, sound kicks in, and then i exit out and sounds is good from then on out.

Kind of annoying, and I have no idea how to fix it.

I have tried going into settings and changing sound **** directly from there but it never seems to help. The only thing that does the trick is turning on a show from the amazon app then it works everywhere.
Has anyone had issues since the new firmware was downloaded? My smart hub is gone, and everytime I go to login to my Samsung account, my network drops out. Any ideas?
post #17302 of 36647 Old 12-17-2016, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 36
So I decided to keep the 65 ks8000. It's got a few problems but it's just a gorgeous picture.

I'm not sure if I should ask this in another thread, but I didn't see one related to tv stands. The one I currently have the tv on is too tall, so I've been shopping around for other stands. I found one that is the most awesome stand I've ever seen. It's wood and wrought iron and has doors on it that look like they came from a 1800s bank safe.... I love it. Th only problem is it is only 60" long, and the tv is about 59" wide... would that look "weird." Generally, I'm used to seeing stands that are about a foot longer than the tv. Does anyone else have their Samsung on a stand that is so close in size? How does it look? I really like this stand but it's fairly expensive and i can't return it, so I'm hoping to get some good advice.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2542.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	217.4 KB
ID:	1836457  

Last edited by talk show host; 12-17-2016 at 11:09 AM.
post #17303 of 36647 Old 12-17-2016, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by talk show host View Post
So I decided to keep the 65 ks8000. It's got a few problems but it's just a gorgeous picture.

I'm not sure if I should ask this in another thread, but I didn't see one related to tv stands. The one I currently have the tv on is too tall, so I've been shopping around for other stands. I found one that is the most awesome stand I've ever seen. It's wood and wrought iron and has doors on it that look like they came from a 1800s bank safe.... I love it. Th only problem is it is only 60" long, and the tv is about 59" wide... would that look "weird." Generally, I'm used to seeing stands that are about a foot longer than the tv. Does anyone else have their Samsung on a stand that is so close in size? How does it look? I really like this stand but it's fairly expensive and i can't return it, so I'm hoping to get some good advice.

Thanks!
I don't have a pic but I generally try to get my stands even with the sides of the TV. I think it looks nice. You should be happy with the look as well. I don't think it will look funny at all
NTC and The_Donster like this.
post #17304 of 36647 Old 12-17-2016, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
A question which has a specific tangible answer! At the moment, use "Native" color space in HDR+ mode.

Hopefully they'll fix it in future so that we can go back to defaulting to Auto.

What exactly does HDR+ do? Is it recommended to use it?

1155 here, how do I know Youtube is displaying HDR? (I don't get the usual pop-up), how do you update apps? I just see a launch option?
post #17305 of 36647 Old 12-17-2016, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post

For Movie and other regular modes, use Auto?
post #17306 of 36647 Old 12-17-2016, 12:27 PM
NTC

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogeanx View Post
Not sure if this is your "CE dimming" but this the dimming issue still happening in 1155. Very noticeable when changing from dark to light scenes. Still happening since i got the TV, its due to SMART LED sucking. (yes eco mode is off)

Warning: once you see it, you cannot un see it - happens on all modes, Im currently using PC in Standard or Dynamic

Heres a vid I made on the "FOREVER DIMMING" issue, will upload a live video of it in action in a sec

https://vid.me/hKES
I'll repeat again, and again... I do not have a game console, and I no longer connect a HTPC to my main TV (still have the MyHD card). That is why I do not interject in those discussions. If I see a discussion with words like PC, Gaming, HTPC, or any of its derivatives, I move on.

As I've stated before, my TV does automatically dim when transitioning from lots of brights to lots of darks, with any setting that might influence dimming set to off. But with the way I have set up my TV, which is for viewing Ultra Blu-Ray disc and 4k hdr streaming, I do not noticed it, even after being aware that there might be dimming going on in certain scenes. So, yes, I guess I can un-see it.

All TVs of the same model are not created equally, that will never happen in our lifetime. If it is an issue with you, have Samsung send a tech to your place and have them diagnosis the problem. Some people have issues with the dimming and others do not.

I still find the recent NASA 4k HDR video on Youtube a good source to check the extent auto dimming is occurring. Did I notice it, yes, because I was purposely looking for it. Did it detract from me enjoying the video, absolutely not because it was only a slight dim, and when I rewind the video again, this time looking at the stars not for dimming effect, but for its beauty (with my Hitchhiker's guide at the ready), the though of any dimming did not pop into my head for one second.
post #17307 of 36647 Old 12-17-2016, 12:36 PM
NTC

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhferry View Post
What exactly does HDR+ do? Is it recommended to use it?

1155 here, how do I know Youtube is displaying HDR? (I don't get the usual pop-up), how do you update apps? I just see a launch option?
For a rudimentary explanation to your first question, see this Samsung blog from this past August.

http://www.samsung.com/global/tv/blo...-of-4k-tv.html
The_Donster likes this.
post #17308 of 36647 Old 12-17-2016, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by talk show host View Post

Thanks!
I have the 55ks800. My tv is basically flush with the cabinet edges. Excuse the mess
The_Donster likes this.
post #17309 of 36647 Old 12-17-2016, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdsquared2 View Post
HDR+ is one of the "Special Viewing Modes" in your picture settings. To see if it is on, press the "Home" button on the remote to bring up the Smart Hub. Then, scroll over to the left until you've highlighted in blue the Settings icon (a cog). You should see above Picture settings is (probably) greyed out and says HDR+ with 3 overlayed circles. Or, you can click the settings icon and in Picture Settings, it would say in the "Special Viewing Modes" section the word "HDR+" right with it.

If you want to know if HDR is active, 2 things happen with my KS8000.
1, if I am watching a source and play media that is HDR, a popup will come up at the top saying "An HDR Video is Playing". (See image below from earlier in this thread)

Also, if you switch to that input with HDR active (or, while media you assume or expect is HDR is playing), the popup at the top listing the source name on the left, and resolution information on the right should say UHD as well as HDR in small print. I haven't had success with a guaranteed-replication method to bring up the source info pop-up for the top of the screen while in the source, but pressing the home button a few times and back a few times in different orders often brings it up.
Thanks for the information and the pics. I'm going to have to find some HDR sources to give this a test.
post #17310 of 36647 Old 12-17-2016, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchobo View Post
I have the 55ks800. My tv is basically flush with the cabinet edges. Excuse the mess
Thanks for posting the pic. I have to say I do think I prefer having a stand that's wider than the tv, but that doesn't look bad at all. Think I'm going to pull the trigger! Thanks!!
The_Donster and kingchobo like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
denon s740h , extra , hdmi input , KS8000/KS8500 , no picture , one connect fail , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page