Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 578 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 179870Likes

post #17311 of 36542 Old 12-17-2016, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD83 View Post
I don't have a pic but I generally try to get my stands even with the sides of the TV. I think it looks nice. You should be happy with the look as well. I don't think it will look funny at all
Thanks for the advice!
The_Donster likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17312 of 36542 Old 12-17-2016, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropSquad View Post
Just an FYI my TV auto updated to 1155 today and so far everything is working as it should. Haven't tried 4K Youtube vids but the back button is working as intended.
Of course the back button is working after the update. It wasn't the update that caused that issue in the first place. It was the accept terms for ads is what caused it. Well before the update was pushed out.

Marantz 7702MKII/Outlaw 7140 65" 4k Samsung KS8000
i7 4770K/16 gig 2133/970's SLI 840 PRO SSD
Paradigm Studio v3 100/570/20's/470's/2200 Sub
post #17313 of 36542 Old 12-17-2016, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I am in NC/USA. I have auto-update off. Last night the TV gave me a notification that there was an available update and I manually Ok'ed the update from 1150 (with YT back button issue present) to 1155. Smarthub crashed once after the upgrade, I rebooted the TV, and now all seems to be working fine. FWIW.
NTC, jeep05, Terminader and 1 others like this.

..just the beginning..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17314 of 36542 Old 12-17-2016, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropSquad View Post
I really only have my receiver set up with the TV on optical out. It still gives me issues every time i power it up. No sound at all even when scrolling through menus. If I go to spotify app and play a song, nothing. BUT! If I go to amazon, turn on any show for 2 seconds, sound kicks in, and then i exit out and sounds is good from then on out.

Kind of annoying, and I have no idea how to fix it.

I have tried going into settings and changing sound **** directly from there but it never seems to help. The only thing that does the trick is turning on a show from the amazon app then it works everywhere.
Thanks for the reply. I can't figure it out. I just got back home from an errand and turned it on. Same thing. No sound out to my AV receiver when I tried to use my Roku when I tried to use the Amazon app on the Roku. The movie played but no sound.

I switched to the TV's built in Amazon app and resumed the same movie and viola there was sound. I stopped it and switched back to the Amazon app on the Roku and resumed same movie and viola there is sound!

Very strange. There has to be some reason and fix for this?!
post #17315 of 36542 Old 12-17-2016, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 968 Post(s)
Liked: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv00 View Post
Of course the back button is working after the update. It wasn't the update that caused that issue in the first place. It was the accept terms for ads is what caused it. Well before the update was pushed out.
Not true. I agree its not the latest firmware (1154 for me) as back button worked to start with. It just stopped working yesterday - but I have not had to accept any terms.
The_Donster and mrtickleuk like this.

Samsung UE55KS8000 | Pioneer SC-LX701 | Dune HD Pro 4K | Zidoo Z9S | Apple TV 4K | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Player
post #17316 of 36542 Old 12-17-2016, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 154
True , it probably just skipped asking you and forced agreement , after all it's what it did anyway. Because if you decline it all the apps vanish and stuff started screwing up , until I went back and accepted the terms then the apps magically popped back up. But the no back stuck around until I unplugged the unit while on. Either way , whatever. My unit is working again although it's COMPLETE BS to have ads forced on us let alone forced to accept them for things to work.

Marantz 7702MKII/Outlaw 7140 65" 4k Samsung KS8000
i7 4770K/16 gig 2133/970's SLI 840 PRO SSD
Paradigm Studio v3 100/570/20's/470's/2200 Sub
post #17317 of 36542 Old 12-17-2016, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by talk show host View Post
Thanks for the advice!
NP! What annoys me though is when the stand is a lot wider than the tv toward the front. I'm having that issue now as I came from a 73" DLP tv to this 1.5" thick tv. My stand is a lot wider now and it drives me nuts lol
post #17318 of 36542 Old 12-17-2016, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek922 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post
I think Pacific Rim is typically one of the most referred to as reference quality. Also, you can find more here...

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2202713
What's the best Blue-Ray Disc to truly show off hdr and the true potential of the tv?
Might I also suggest this forum for questions on BD's (Blu-Ray's)? Here's a direct link to 4K and how they stacked up. I also believe Ray is a member over there too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGameScouts View Post
Sigh...!!!

My first month with the KS8000 was amazing!! I was in love with this TV. Its PQ was beautiful, and the gaming/movie watching performance was excellent (minus a few motion quirks).
However, I have to say...this TV keeps getting worse and worse with each week and with each new firmware update.

At this point, I'm getting:

+ Regular stutters on all sources and regardless of content played. (And yes, I did a cold-reboot and all possible DIY solutions available). It happens at least 4-5 times each day/each session.

+ Odd color shifts when gaming. I saw some posters commenting on this, but no solution was ever provided and Samsung pretends like the issue doesn't exist. While gaming, the entire image will sometimes hitch with all colors turning blue/green/violet before shifting back into place. Super distracting. And no, upgrading HDMI cables does not work.

+ Remote not responding. Half the time, the TV doesn't turn on with the remote and I'm forced to take the batteries out and back in. And no, holding the power button for a long time does nothing. (I'm not just referring to the back button not working-I'm talking about the entire remote failing to work regularly).

+ Auto Motion Plus no longer works. Even when setting both Custom sliders to 0, I get constant judder and frame skipping. And without AMP, the motion judder on the KS8000 can be unbearable during slow panning shots in certain movies/shows.

Keep in mind, I didn't have most of these issues in the first few months of owning the TV. I was convinced I had a solid set. Some hiccups were minor, but most major issues started developing over time.

I'm noticing this trend in this forum since I've been following it from day one. Lots of issues creeping up with users who've had the set for a while. I know some of you guys have flawless sets...but I want to address the other users here. Do you guys feel like the KS8000 is getting worse the longer you have it? I went from being blown away...to feeling completely ripped off, and unable to return/exchange the set.

What a disastrous year it's been for TV shopping. Had to go through several Sonys and Vizios before I ended up with the KS8000. Thought I struck gold...and now...hell, now I keep looking over at my 5-year old Samsung in the bedroom and wondering why it's running better than my brand new 2016 set.
I have the same issues with the remote, but once I worked out it wasn't dead batteries I learned to roll with it. As a matter of fact it happened when I went up to see where something was in the Expert Settings and what I had it set up to. Like some, I've noticed some little here's and there's with some of the updates. Fortunately it hasn't been to the extent of others. But I also don't use mine with cable or a computer either. Sorry, truly sorry, that you are having issues with your tv though :/

Quote:
So I decided to keep the 65 ks8000. It's got a few problems but it's just a gorgeous picture.

I'm not sure if I should ask this in another thread, but I didn't see one related to tv stands. The one I currently have the tv on is too tall, so I've been shopping around for other stands. I found one that is the most awesome stand I've ever seen. It's wood and wrought iron and has doors on it that look like they came from a 1800s bank safe.... I love it. Th only problem is it is only 60" long, and the tv is about 59" wide... would that look "weird." Generally, I'm used to seeing stands that are about a foot longer than the tv. Does anyone else have their Samsung on a stand that is so close in size? How does it look? I really like this stand but it's fairly expensive and i can't return it, so I'm hoping to get some good advice.

Thanks!
I'm so glad to hear you are picking this up. That is a truly unique stand you are going to have that most might not. Good on you man, good on you. Post some pics when you get it set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhferry View Post
What exactly does HDR+ do? Is it recommended to use it?

1155 here, how do I know Youtube is displaying HDR? (I don't get the usual pop-up), how do you update apps? I just see a launch option?
Welcome to the party. Make sure to use the search function at the top right of each thread page (See pic attachment) and read a few pages back when popping into the thread. HDR kicks in with Picture Mode: Standard, Game and Movie or at least they did the last time I checked. I tend to keep mine on movie mode, even when gaming. But that's my personal preference. As is not using HDR+. Just make sure you aren't mixing up HDR with HDR+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinglestains View Post
Thanks for the information and the pics. I'm going to have to find some HDR sources to give this a test.
If you have the 4K tier on Netflix or a Amazon Prime membership, there are some pretty good HDR programs out there to see what this tv can do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AVS Thread Search.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	1837041  

Official Samsung KS8000/8500 Owners Information PDF
Living Room: LG 55LE5500 Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360 w/Kinect
Bedroom: VIZIO E470VL VIZIO VSB200 Sound Bar Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360
Inner Sanctum: Samsung 65KS8000, Halo XBox One, GoW Xbox 360, Onkyo HT-S5300
post #17319 of 36542 Old 12-17-2016, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv00 View Post
True , it probably just skipped asking you and forced agreement , after all it's what it did anyway. Because if you decline it all the apps vanish and stuff started screwing up , until I went back and accepted the terms then the apps magically popped back up. But the no back stuck around until I unplugged the unit while on. Either way , whatever. My unit is working again although it's COMPLETE BS to have ads forced on us let alone forced to accept them for things to work.
I'm in the same spot, hitting the home button now doesn't bring anything up. Where do I have to go to accept the terms?
post #17320 of 36542 Old 12-17-2016, 02:07 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Would Xfinity Blast service 75 downloads speeds and data cap of 1 Tera flop be enough for the ks8000 TV to stream 4k you tube n Netflix on this TV since this TV internet card slows down the speeds on ur connection.. Seen people that have over 100 download speeds n on the Samsung it down samples to like 65
post #17321 of 36542 Old 12-17-2016, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Okay, I know what HDR is now. Youtube "The World in HDR" is the most amazing thing I've ever seen on a TV screen.

Is there any reason to ever use Native instead of Auto though? The search function will pull up posts for me but I can't actually go to them, it just defaults back to the main page so my looking at past answers isn't working out. Plus new firmwares and such... anyone use Native for gaming or HDR or something else?
post #17322 of 36542 Old 12-17-2016, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Liked: 1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post
Yes. Mine shows Receiver. I also do have a label showing DirecTV. I have DirecTV connected through my AVR. It did ask me my cable provider during setup, and the Samsung has a built in RVU tuner, so I believe that's why it also displays DirecTV with my Receiver. I've never had my label change to PC.
Mine changed to Hometheater from receiver when I activated HDMI 3 with my fire stick.

Living Room Sam. UN65KS8000 / 2017 Roku Ultra / Onkyo TX-RZ920 7.2.4 / M-5010 Amp. /Sam. UBD-M8500 Blu-Ray Player.
DEN TCL 65R617 65-Inch 4K Ultra / Onkyo TX-RZ730 5.2.4 / Philips 4K UHD Dolby Vision Player (P7502) BEDROOM Sam. 55JS8500 / 2016 Roku Ultra / LG UP870 3D Ultra High Definition Blu-Ray 4K Player
post #17323 of 36542 Old 12-17-2016, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by aron7awol View Post
A few notes...

Color Space Auto is simply broken in HDR+ mode. You aren't taking advantage of the color gamut expansion of HDR+ in that case.

Using Smart LED High on SDR content will do nothing for you other than create banding. If you want the picture brighter (this is what Smart LED High does) increase backlight instead and set Smart LED to Low where it will only dim and not highlight.

Unless you've used test patterns or done a professional calibration, leave Brightness at 45. I've yet to see a case where anything other than 45 is the proper setting.
Wow, you were right about Color Space / Auto not working correctly with HDR+ mode. That's really non-intuitive. Tested as follows:

Watched the LG Jazz HDR demo via the TV's YouTube app in regular Movie mode (HDR+ turned off) and Color Space set to auto. It was fantastic. Then turned HDR+ mode on with Color Space on Auto and it was immediately less vibrant. Switched Color Space to Native and it was back to vibrant again.

To confirm, I used the YouTube app on the K8500 UHD player. For some reason known best to Samsung, while the app on the TV works with HDR, the app on the player does not. I watched the same LG Jazz HDR demo in movie mode and it was quite dull. Turned on HDR+ with Color Space set to Native and it was about as good as real HDR through the TV's app. Very impressive actually for faux-HDR.

I guess I'll leave HDR+ mode on with Color Space set to Native for everything except HDR content, then switch to Movie mode for HDR content.

Thanks for the tip!
King Richard likes this.
post #17324 of 36542 Old 12-17-2016, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 132
I wish they would just get rid of HDR+ mode. Its an artificial over amplification mode that just overdrives color and contrast. If you use it and you have everything else dialed back it may look normal but that's because your primary tuning is way off.
It may have a use to make really crappy recordings look better but is in no way an enhancement, its a distortion.

The other useless thing is UHD Color mode. All it does is allow the TV to process UHD formats. It does nothing to the other formats so why would you want that off? That option should be on all the time.

Samsung 65KS-8000 VAA02, Xfinity X1 DVR, Xbox One X, Samsung UBD-K8500
Onkyo TX-NR747, Set up: Atmos 5.1.2
Klipsch R-26FA L/R), Klipsch R250 (C), Klipsch RP-140D (SS)
Subs: SVS BP-2000
Amazon Echo, Harmony Hub, Harmony Ultimate One, Samsung Smartthings Hub
post #17325 of 36542 Old 12-17-2016, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by blenky View Post
Not true. I agree its not the latest firmware (1154 for me) as back button worked to start with. It just stopped working yesterday - but I have not had to accept any terms.
Have you ever accepted the terms & agreements, privacy or interest add when you set up or do you think it is just a coincidence for some blenky? *Knock on wood* I'm one of the lucky one's that hasn't had an issue outside of the Netflix (and a long time ago the VUDU) app issue where it doesn't pull up anything with the i button when I watched tv last night. I actually fell asleep listening to Spotify

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyKnights View Post
Would Xfinity Blast service 75 downloads speeds and data cap of 1 Tera flop be enough for the ks8000 TV to stream 4k you tube n Netflix on this TV since this TV internet card slows down the speeds on ur connection.. Seen people that have over 100 download speeds n on the Samsung it down samples to like 65
It depends, how many people in your family and what router are you using? Also, are you going to hardwire or run wirelessly? My wife just up us up to the 200 and I exchanged out our XB3 Gateway router recently. I have most of my devices set up wireless. The Gateway is in a central are in the kitchen nook downstairs and most of the devices are hooked up to the 2.4mhz. The tv, Xbox One (not S) are hooked up solely to the 5mhz. My set up is in one of the rooms upstairs and I've had no issues outside of why I returned the router.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otlc View Post
Okay, I know what HDR is now. Youtube "The World in HDR" is the most amazing thing I've ever seen on a TV screen.

Is there any reason to ever use Native instead of Auto though? The search function will pull up posts for me but I can't actually go to them, it just defaults back to the main page so my looking at past answers isn't working out. Plus new firmwares and such... anyone use Native for gaming or HDR or something else?
Yeah, they've got some beautiful stuff and I always appreciate when people post links. Then I just click on it on my computer and then watch it later on my tv. Outside of them, I definitely think people need to hit the up or down button to make sure it gets both HD and HDR when playing "supposed" 4K.

Official Samsung KS8000/8500 Owners Information PDF
Living Room: LG 55LE5500 Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360 w/Kinect
Bedroom: VIZIO E470VL VIZIO VSB200 Sound Bar Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360
Inner Sanctum: Samsung 65KS8000, Halo XBox One, GoW Xbox 360, Onkyo HT-S5300
post #17326 of 36542 Old 12-17-2016, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 968 Post(s)
Liked: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Donster View Post
Have you ever accepted the terms & agreements, privacy or interest add when you set up or do you think it is just a coincidence for some blenky? *Knock on wood* I'm one of the lucky one's that hasn't had an issue outside of the Netflix (and a long time ago the VUDU) app issue where it doesn't pull up anything with the i button when I watched tv last night. I actually fell asleep listening to Spotify
Back button is now working in YouTube - although I had to sign in again. The issue with in YouTube with videos stacking on top of each other seems to be fixed. This seems to point to the app getting reloaded somehow to fix the back button. As to 'Terms and Policy' under 'Support' my choices are

'Viewing Information Services' - 'Disagree' is TICKED
'Interest-Based Advertisements' - 'I agree' is UNTICKED
'Online Remote Management Terms and Conditions' - 'I disagree with ....' is TICKED
'Requesting Support' - 'I understand and consent to the above' - is UNTICKED
'Samsung UHD Video Pack' - 'I agree' is TICKED

The above have been that way since I got the TV EXCEPT for 'Viewing Information Services' where I have have just ticked 'Disagree' without any detrimental effects.

BTW what is this Samsung UHD Video Pack I've agreed too!?
The_Donster and King Richard like this.

Samsung UE55KS8000 | Pioneer SC-LX701 | Dune HD Pro 4K | Zidoo Z9S | Apple TV 4K | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Player
post #17327 of 36542 Old 12-17-2016, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 413 Post(s)
Quoted: 2807 Post(s)
Liked: 11980
Quote:
Originally Posted by leedesert View Post
I wish they would just get rid of HDR+ mode. Its an artificial over amplification mode that just overdrives color and contrast. If you use it and you have everything else dialed back it may look normal but that's because your primary tuning is way off.
It may have a use to make really crappy recordings look better but is in no way an enhancement, its a distortion.

The other useless thing is UHD Color mode. All it does is allow the TV to process UHD formats. It does nothing to the other formats so why would you want that off? That option should be on all the time.
Sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about.

1. HDR+ doesnt affect contrast at all; it intelligently expands the color gamut and does nothing else. It works far better with a HQ source than "really crappy recordings".
2. HDMI UHD Color mode does more than allow the TV to process UHD formats; it unlocks higher bandwidth HDMI modes. It can cause issues in certain cases which is why the setting exists.

Sorry to call you out like this, but you should really properly educate yourself before you start posting information that is blatantly incorrect.
Terminader and mrtickleuk like this.

Take the Red Pill (BassEQ) BassEQ Demo Clips
Video: Sony 85" X900F @ 80" eyes-to-screen (49.4° viewing angle)
Audio: Denon AVR-X4400H 7.2.4 Atmos
Mains: Fusion-15 LR, Custom Tapered Ported Volt-6 Center, Ported Volt-10 Surrounds, Custom 45°/45° Double-Angled Ported Volt-6 Atmos
Subs: The Two Towers (HT18 32cf 11.5Hz x 2), UM18 4cf x 2, Crowson MAs x 4
post #17328 of 36542 Old 12-17-2016, 03:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about.

1. HDR+ doesnt affect contrast at all; it intelligently expands the color gamut and does nothing else. It works far better with a HQ source than "really crappy recordings".
2. HDMI UHD Color mode does more than allow the TV to process UHD formats; it unlocks higher bandwidth HDMI modes. It can cause issues in certain cases which is why the setting exists.

Sorry to call you out like this, but you should really properly educate yourself before you start posting information that is blatantly incorrect.
Actually I do. I can quote what Samsung says it does as well but the end result is it artificially amplifies colors to make up for one of 2 things. A crappy video or Crappy tuning.

Also what part of this "All it does is allow the TV to process UHD formats" do you think doesn't mean "unlocks higher bandwidth HDMI modes". The higher bandwidth modes are UHD. The point is if all it does is unlock the higher formats why does it even need to be off? It does nothing to the lower bandwidth.

I don't mind be wrong when I am but please don't quote Samsung and think that means you understand what it is. Calling someone out like that is not necessary when the end statements were my opinion, especially when your call out shows you don't know anything other than quoting the manual. Learn whats actually happening.

Samsung 65KS-8000 VAA02, Xfinity X1 DVR, Xbox One X, Samsung UBD-K8500
Onkyo TX-NR747, Set up: Atmos 5.1.2
Klipsch R-26FA L/R), Klipsch R250 (C), Klipsch RP-140D (SS)
Subs: SVS BP-2000
Amazon Echo, Harmony Hub, Harmony Ultimate One, Samsung Smartthings Hub

Last edited by leedesert; 12-17-2016 at 03:37 PM.
post #17329 of 36542 Old 12-17-2016, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
So is it just a general conclusion that HDR on this set is naturally gray/washed out a bit?

I received my KS8000 yesterday and tried Forza Horizon 3 and everything, especially the whites, were extremely gray. I had a Vizio P65-C1 previously and the whites on that set in HDR were so bright it'd burn your eyes. The only thing I can do to the KS8000 to even go close to those whites are putting Dynamic Contrast on High. Weird thing is, if I'm in HDR content and press the home button, the bottom menu is super bright--just like I imagine what the HDR picture should look like.

I've checked and rechecked settings making sure I had the right settings enabled. Not sure what's going on with this, maybe I'm expecting too much from the HDR from this set? My buddy has the 8500 and says his set experiences no grayness or washing out at all.
post #17330 of 36542 Old 12-17-2016, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 4874 Post(s)
Liked: 7171
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhferry View Post
What exactly does HDR+ do? Is it recommended to use it?
About the 750th time that question has been asked on this thread.

Quote:
1155 here, how do I know Youtube is displaying HDR? (I don't get the usual pop-up), how do you update apps? I just see a launch option?
Do a long press on the app.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #17331 of 36542 Old 12-17-2016, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTC View Post
For a rudimentary explanation to your first question, see this Samsung blog from this past August.

http://www.samsung.com/global/tv/blo...-of-4k-tv.html
That's answering a question he didn't ask - what HDR is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BShmal View Post
So is it just a general conclusion that HDR on this set is naturally gray/washed out a bit?
No. HDR on this set is superb and fantastic.
Terminader and blenky like this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #17332 of 36542 Old 12-17-2016, 04:25 PM
NTC

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
That's answering a question he didn't ask - what HDR is.
Hmmm. I did say rudimentary and this wasn't?

"The newly introduced HDR+ Mode will improve your picture quality even further by adjusting the color and brightness range, ensuring that your standard dynamic range (SDR) content will look like HDR content. In fact, it not only enhances SDR, the new HDR+ algorithm also enhances standard HDR content increasing the level of contrast ratio to differentiate objects from the background, while still depicting more image details on the screen for an overall better picture."

It was on that link, half way down. Could I have said that, perhaps. I think me providing a link was more so for others to know that Samsung has provided some information about HDR and HDR+ in their blog. One blog showed enabling HDR in Movie mode. If you look at the "news" portion of their global site I found the "[Interview] Nanosys’ Jason Hartlove on Why Quantum Dots Are the Future of Display" to be fascinating. IMHO.
King Richard likes this.
post #17333 of 36542 Old 12-17-2016, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hmmm. I did say rudimentary and this wasn't?

"The newly introduced HDR+ Mode will improve your picture quality even further by adjusting the color and brightness range, ensuring that your standard dynamic range (SDR) content will look like HDR content. In fact, it not only enhances SDR, the new HDR+ algorithm also enhances standard HDR content increasing the level of contrast ratio to differentiate objects from the background, while still depicting more image details on the screen for an overall better picture."
fair enough - I'd thought you'd misread his question and forgot that page had HDR+ info as well.

Quote:
It was on that link, half way down. Could I have said that, perhaps. I think me providing a link was more so for others to know that Samsung has provided some information about HDR and HDR+ in their blog. One blog showed enabling HDR in Movie mode. If you look at the "news" portion of their global site I found the "[Interview] Nanosys’ Jason Hartlove on Why Quantum Dots Are the Future of Display" to be fascinating. IMHO.
Yep, seen that before and very good.
NTC likes this.

post #17334 of 36542 Old 12-17-2016, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 413 Post(s)
Quoted: 2807 Post(s)
Liked: 11980
Quote:
Actually I do. I can quote what Samsung says it does as well but the end result is it artificially amplifies colors to make up for one of 2 things. A crappy video or Crappy tuning.

Also what part of this "All it does is allow the TV to process UHD formats" do you think doesn't mean "unlocks higher bandwidth HDMI modes". The higher bandwidth modes are UHD. The point is if all it does is unlock the higher formats why does it even need to be off? It does nothing to the lower bandwidth.

I don't mind be wrong when I am but please don't quote Samsung and think that means you understand what it is. Calling someone out like that is not necessary when the end statements were my opinion, especially when your call out shows you don't know anything other than quoting the manual. Learn whats actually happening.
I never quoted Samsung's PR statements about HDR+ nor the manual. In fact, I completely disagree with their statement that it affects the brightness range. I'm pretty sure I've done the most extensive testing of anyone on this thread using HDR+ mode, testing each setting with test patterns to see what effect they have, so I am fully qualified to say what HDR+ does and doesn't do to SDR sources. If you aren't open-minded enough to realize when you are wrong, and re-evaluate your opinion, I have no problem with that and will let this disagreement end right now. I do have a problem with misinformation being spread in this thread. There's already been way too much of that in here.
mrtickleuk likes this.

Take the Red Pill (BassEQ) BassEQ Demo Clips
Video: Sony 85" X900F @ 80" eyes-to-screen (49.4° viewing angle)
Audio: Denon AVR-X4400H 7.2.4 Atmos
Mains: Fusion-15 LR, Custom Tapered Ported Volt-6 Center, Ported Volt-10 Surrounds, Custom 45°/45° Double-Angled Ported Volt-6 Atmos
Subs: The Two Towers (HT18 32cf 11.5Hz x 2), UM18 4cf x 2, Crowson MAs x 4
post #17335 of 36542 Old 12-17-2016, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudman63 View Post
I have a Linksys modem that connects fine FOR A DAY. Next day, TV thinks it is still connected but starting up Netflix or checking the connection will fail. I need to reenter the connection info (including the password which Samsung doesn't remember!). Is this the same problem you were/are experiencing? All my other devices (PS3, PS4, Roku, Echo, etc) stay connected and refreshed just fine but not my new, beautiful 65KS8000. It is incredibly annoying to have to re-establish the connection daily. I have separate names for 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks and have tries both. Have also tried reserved IP. No luck.

BTW, thinking this was a problem with the TV and after working with tech support, I exchanged the TV for another. New one has exact same issue so NOT a problem with the TV.

Does anyone have a solution? Barring that, any recommendations for a good router that you KNOW stays connected with KS8000? I should probably upgrade my router anyway but want to make sure it is one that will work.

Last question, I have been searching this forum. I have found a few posts related to what I am looking for but cannot find a way to see/list the responses to the post. Am I missing something? The forum posts are sequential and I can't figure out how to get a thread of responses for a particular post.

Thanks!
The TV definitely doesn't play well with certain Linksys routers (mine was the EA4500). What you described is exactly what I experienced. I bought a new Netgear router (Nighthawk X6) - problem "fixed".
The_Donster likes this.
post #17336 of 36542 Old 12-17-2016, 05:18 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 4367
Quote:

... The point is if all it does is unlock the higher formats why does it even need to be off? It does nothing to the lower bandwidth.
Quote:
HDMI UHD Color mode does more than allow the TV to process UHD formats; it unlocks higher bandwidth HDMI modes. It can cause issues in certain cases which is why the setting exists.

In practice, what happens when you turn ON the TV's "HDMI UHD Color" setting, is that it changes the E-EDID that is sent from the TV to the HDMI connected component. (It doesn't change the actual "capabilities" of the TV.)

When a connected video source device is first powered ON, or first connected to the TV via HDMI, it sends a request for an E-EDID (Enhanced - Extended Display Identification Data).

E-EDID is a data structure provided by a digital display to describe and relay its capabilities and operational characteristics - such as display size & type, its supported resolutions, video and audio formats, refresh rates, bit-depth, color space, luminance data, etc - to a video source device.

This information, contained in the E-EDID, then allows the source device to generate and customize its video and audio data stream output for the unique capabilities and characteristics of the individual display.

The E-EDID information maximizes the functional compatibility between devices without requiring a user to configure them manually, thus reducing the potential for incorrect settings and adjustments that could compromise the quality of the displayed images.

Sounds great doesn't it? The problem is, it doesn't always work the way it should.

In some cases, the E-EDID can be missing information, or contain incorrect information. In other instances, the source device can have a difficult time reading the E-EDID information from the display, or get "confused" and simply misinterpret the information.

It is important to realize that all of these problems can potentially contribute to EDID-related issues. As a result of these issues, the connected device may output incorrect video and audio data, or, in some cases, not output any signal whatsoever.

Now getting back to the "HDMI UHD Color" setting...

As @aron7awol said above, the reason you might want to leave it OFF in certain cases is that it can and sometimes does cause issues with certain HDMI connected components.

This as been reported by a number of forum members, including myself, where we will completely lose all audio with a connected Satellite (as in my case) or Cable receiver. I have also seen cases where someone reported issues with the picture with this setting turned ON.

In fact, in the past, with previous Samsung TVs and before UHD Blu-ray players and UHD gaming systems became available (which only happened earlier this year), the general recommendation was always to leave this setting turned OFF. Unless you where connecting a high-end PC to your TV (which is only a very small percentage of users), the setting was not needed. This way, you would avoid possible issues caused by having it ON.

Samsung knows about the issues with this setting. In their documentation they state: "If it is set to ON with a device that supports only an HD or FHD signal, there is a chance that the TV may not have the proper picture quality or sound. In this case, leave it OFF."

I don't know exactly what causes the issues, but if I was to venture a "guess", I would say it probably has to do with the connected device having a difficult time reading the E-EDID information from the display, or simply misinterpreting the information - which results in the incorrect video or audio data being sent, or, as is the case with the audio for my Satellite receiver, not outputting the audio signal.

For more on this setting, see the "Spoiler!" below:

Spoiler!

Richard
NTC and frisbfreek like this.

Last edited by King Richard; 12-20-2016 at 07:03 AM.
post #17337 of 36542 Old 12-17-2016, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Liked: 1090
Quote:

I received my KS8000 yesterday and tried Forza Horizon 3 and everything, especially the whites, were extremely gray. I had a Vizio P65-C1 previously and the whites on that set in HDR were so bright it'd burn your eyes. The only thing I can do to the KS8000 to even go close to those whites are putting Dynamic Contrast on High. Weird thing is, if I'm in HDR content and press the home button, the bottom menu is super bright--just like I imagine what the HDR picture should look like.

I've checked and rechecked settings making sure I had the right settings enabled. Not sure what's going on with this, maybe I'm expecting too much from the HDR from this set? My buddy has the 8500 and says his set experiences no grayness or washing out at all.
Why didn't you keep your vizio? If I understand correctly your saying you had a Vizio and your complaining about the KS8000 is not as bright. I'm a little confused.

Living Room Sam. UN65KS8000 / 2017 Roku Ultra / Onkyo TX-RZ920 7.2.4 / M-5010 Amp. /Sam. UBD-M8500 Blu-Ray Player.
DEN TCL 65R617 65-Inch 4K Ultra / Onkyo TX-RZ730 5.2.4 / Philips 4K UHD Dolby Vision Player (P7502) BEDROOM Sam. 55JS8500 / 2016 Roku Ultra / LG UP870 3D Ultra High Definition Blu-Ray 4K Player

Last edited by bargervais; 12-17-2016 at 05:54 PM.
post #17338 of 36542 Old 12-17-2016, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
So I decided to keep the 65 ks8000. It's got a few problems but it's just a gorgeous picture.

I'm not sure if I should ask this in another thread, but I didn't see one related to tv stands. The one I currently have the tv on is too tall, so I've been shopping around for other stands. I found one that is the most awesome stand I've ever seen. It's wood and wrought iron and has doors on it that look like they came from a 1800s bank safe.... I love it. Th only problem is it is only 60" long, and the tv is about 59" wide... would that look "weird." Generally, I'm used to seeing stands that are about a foot longer than the tv. Does anyone else have their Samsung on a stand that is so close in size? How does it look? I really like this stand but it's fairly expensive and i can't return it, so I'm hoping to get some good advice.

Thanks!
It will look perfect! Go for it. Mine even hangs over very slightly and it looks fine.
The_Donster likes this.

Samsung UN55KS8000 purchased 2017
Denon AVR1610 purchased 2010
Cherry Energy RC10 mains purchased 2010, RC-LCR center purchased 2017, RCmini surrounds purchased 2010
PSA 15V purchased 3/26/18
post #17339 of 36542 Old 12-17-2016, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Regarding HDR+

Obviously its a matter of personal preference whether you like it or hate it.

Personally I use HDR+ mode for sports... NHL and NFL games look great.

Right now I'm watching the Fins/Jets game on the NFL Network.

My source is DTV... below are my settings... give em try and let me know what you think.

Picture Mode HDR+
Backlight 20
Brightness 45
Contrast 85
Sharpness 0
Color 50
Tint G50 R50
Apply Current
Digital Clean Off
AMP Blur 8, Judder 4
Smart LED Low
Film Mode Off
HDMI UHD Color Off
HDMI Black Level greyed out
Dynamic Contrast Off
Color Tone Warm 1
White Balance Default
Gamma 0
RGB Only Off
Color Space Native
post #17340 of 36542 Old 12-17-2016, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post
Quote:

Why didn't you keep your vizio? If I understand correctly your saying you had a Vizio and your complaining about the KS8000 is not as bright. I'm a little confused.
Definitely not complaining about the KS8000--I prefer just about everything on this set compared to the Vizio. But, HDR content on the Vizio was about 10 times brighter and more vibrant than the KS. Just trying to figure out if anyone else has experienced this, and if so, if there's a potential solution. I'm pretty certain that whites in HDR content shouldn't be gray, and the overall picture shouldn't be washed out. Like I said, when I pull up the home menu while watching HDR it's insanely bright. Not sure why I'm not experiencing that in the actual content.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
denon s740h , extra , hdmi input , KS8000/KS8500 , no picture , one connect fail , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page