Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 596 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 180067Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #17851 of 36874 Old 12-22-2016, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ballen420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: South of Boston
Posts: 3,914
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 117
The software on this TV sure knows how to test your patience.

Two major gripes - "smart" input labeling and ARC/TV audio out via HDMI. Maybe it's me. I'm really hoping it is because as much as I love the picture and value, the constant tug of war to get it working is making me think of returning.

I have this hooked up via HDMI4/ARC to a Marantz 7010. I watch my HD Homerun, Netflix and Amazon via the TV apps. Everything else via inputs into the Marantz.

Samsung Apps.
These were working fine, then all of a sudden I lost the 'Receiver' option to output sound tonight. After tweaking just about every setting, I got the option back, but no sound is being output to my AVR. AVR is set to TV audio. Samsung is set to Receiver.

Marantz inputs
Can I turn the smart input labeling off? After stumbling upon the ability to re-designate the input to another option (from PC to HDMI4), it constantly resets to another setting. Tonight it said Home Theater. A first. This looked to be just a re-named option of HDMI4 though, not like the PC input that locks you out of key settings. As frustrating as this is, it's now the lesser of two evils.

Is Anynet/HDMI-CEC causing havoc here?

Samsung: On
Marantz:. HDMI Control off
ARC On
HDMI Pass Through On

I shut HDMI Control off on the Marantz because it was constantly starting up my PS3 with it on. This was happening with my old Pioneer as well.

I think I originally had it set to off on the Samsung too, but since I had to run through the initial setup to get the receiver option back, it turned it on again.

As I'm tying this up my TV froze and now it's very laggy.... and I lost the receiver option again.

Help me keep my sanity here.
ballen420 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17852 of 36874 Old 12-22-2016, 06:53 PM
Member
 
goombatommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hey guys!

So I purchased the UN60KS8000FXZA TV from Best Buy. Says Version Number: EA01. Manufacture date of October 2016. Just came across this discussion in the thread. So basically - I don't have a true Samsung TV?

LG 55" B6 OLED | Denon AVR-x4300h | Outlaw Audio 5000 Model Amplifier | B&W HTM62 S2 - Center | B&W 684 S2 - Fronts | B&W 685 S2 - Surrounds | 2 x SVS SB-2000 Subwoofers | Oppo 203 4K UHD Blu Ray Player | Panamax M5300/Panamax PM8-AV
goombatommy is offline  
post #17853 of 36874 Old 12-22-2016, 07:15 PM
 
EddyKnights's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 223
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Yes the 60 inch is made by sharp.. No biggy just turn it on and see if it has any issues.. Im just connecting mine so far no separation in back n a few smudges on glass but nothing a monster cleaner with micro fiber can't clean.. The scree is a hot mess with lights shining on it n no image
EddyKnights is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17854 of 36874 Old 12-22-2016, 07:21 PM
Member
 
goombatommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyKnights View Post
Yes the 60 inch is made by sharp.. No biggy just turn it on and see if it has any issues.. Im just connecting mine so far no separation in back n a few smudges on glass but nothing a monster cleaner with micro fiber can't clean.. The scree is a hot mess with lights shining on it n no image
Ah. I mean the picture looks absolutely fan-freaking-tastic and that's all that matters in the end. But, you buy a Samsung product, you'd expect Samsung parts.

I notice maybe a smidge of edge light bleeding in the car corners and had more of a small white blob coming from the bottom towards the left hand side; but after adjusting the backlight, increased the contrast and color a bit - things looked damn good. The first KS8000 that I owned had MAJOR light flooding to a point where it was unbearable to watch. This second one is a hell of a lot better.
King Richard likes this.

LG 55" B6 OLED | Denon AVR-x4300h | Outlaw Audio 5000 Model Amplifier | B&W HTM62 S2 - Center | B&W 684 S2 - Fronts | B&W 685 S2 - Surrounds | 2 x SVS SB-2000 Subwoofers | Oppo 203 4K UHD Blu Ray Player | Panamax M5300/Panamax PM8-AV
goombatommy is offline  
post #17855 of 36874 Old 12-22-2016, 07:23 PM
Newbie
 
Ralob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been having persistent TV/OBC issues since 1154 (and now 1155). Essentially, the TV (or OCB) appears keeps flickering off and on. I followed the advice several pages back--and could not find anything additional in my search of this thread--that was to unplug the TV completely which didn't do much good.

I've used the OCB replug method mentioned awhile back several times. I find I have to unplug the OBC, wait a few seconds, and plug it back in. That corrects the issue...until I turn the TV off for an extended period of time and turn it back on. Sometimes the OBC will only flicker a few times before remaining on. Other times, the TV keeps flickering for a bit before I lose patience and manually reset it (by doing the aforementioned unplug, wait, replug method).

Does anyone have any more solutions I could try to employ? I am hoping not to have to reset everything and lose my settings. This did not happen to me pre-1154 so I am pretty sure it is a FW-based issue as opposed to a HW one. Thanks for the help!
Ralob is offline  
post #17856 of 36874 Old 12-22-2016, 07:25 PM
 
EddyKnights's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 223
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by goombatommy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyKnights View Post
Yes the 60 inch is made by sharp.. No biggy just turn it on and see if it has any issues.. Im just connecting mine so far no separation in back n a few smudges on glass but nothing a monster cleaner with micro fiber can't clean.. The scree is a hot mess with lights shining on it n no image
Ah. I mean the picture looks absolutely fan-freaking-tastic and that's all that matters in the end. But, you buy a Samsung product, you'd expect Samsung parts.

I notice maybe a smidge of edge light bleeding in the car corners and had more of a small white blob coming from the bottom towards the left hand side; but after adjusting the backlight, increased the contrast and color a bit - things looked damn good. The first KS8000 that I owned had MAJOR light flooding to a point where it was unbearable to watch. This second one is a hell of a lot better.
Any sdr or hdr settings that you care to share.. Im about to fire up this puppy n I know will take awhile to adjust
EddyKnights is offline  
post #17857 of 36874 Old 12-22-2016, 07:28 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello, everyone. New owner of a 65KS8000, and all of the sudden this band of colors has been flickering on and off in the same vertical area. I've had no problems for the three or four weeks I've owned it. Just noticed this last night while streaming on the Amazon app, but it seems to impacting all sources, including the tv menu. See photo. One Connect cable problem maybe? Is there a name for this symptom? Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6349.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	1848953   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6350.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	1848961   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6351.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	1848969  
DisgustinJustin is offline  
post #17858 of 36874 Old 12-22-2016, 07:33 PM
Member
 
goombatommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyKnights View Post
Any sdr or hdr settings that you care to share.. Im about to fire up this puppy n I know will take awhile to adjust
Off the top of my head:

Standard Viewing
Backlight: 4
Contrast 96
Brightness 55
Sharpness 0
Color 60
Auto Motion Plus --> Custom --> All sliders set to 0
Dynamic Contrast "Off"
Color Temp "Cool"
UHD HDMI Color "On" on all HDMI ports
Also make sure you turn any ECO modes off, they're a pain in the butt.

Remember, this works for me and the room I'm in. Mileage may vary, but it doesn't hurt to give these settings a try. You can also try rtings.com KS800 settings:

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sam...s8000/settings

Hope this helps!

LG 55" B6 OLED | Denon AVR-x4300h | Outlaw Audio 5000 Model Amplifier | B&W HTM62 S2 - Center | B&W 684 S2 - Fronts | B&W 685 S2 - Surrounds | 2 x SVS SB-2000 Subwoofers | Oppo 203 4K UHD Blu Ray Player | Panamax M5300/Panamax PM8-AV

Last edited by goombatommy; 12-22-2016 at 07:37 PM.
goombatommy is offline  
post #17859 of 36874 Old 12-22-2016, 07:35 PM
Member
 
goombatommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgustinJustin View Post
Hello, everyone. New owner of a 65KS8000, and all of the sudden this band of colors has been flickering on and off in the same vertical area. I've had no problems for the three or four weeks I've owned it. Just noticed this last night while streaming on the Amazon app, but it seems to impacting all sources, including the tv menu. See photo. One Connect cable problem maybe? Is there a name for this symptom? Any suggestions?

Hmm, it could be a OC problem. It's really hard to tell. I wish Samsung would give at LEAST one HDMI port on the TV to test things like this out.

LG 55" B6 OLED | Denon AVR-x4300h | Outlaw Audio 5000 Model Amplifier | B&W HTM62 S2 - Center | B&W 684 S2 - Fronts | B&W 685 S2 - Surrounds | 2 x SVS SB-2000 Subwoofers | Oppo 203 4K UHD Blu Ray Player | Panamax M5300/Panamax PM8-AV
goombatommy is offline  
post #17860 of 36874 Old 12-22-2016, 07:36 PM
 
EddyKnights's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 223
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Wow you have brightness up real high and color temp cool yikes lol
EddyKnights is offline  
post #17861 of 36874 Old 12-22-2016, 07:38 PM
Member
 
goombatommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyKnights View Post
Wow you have brightness up real high and color temp cool yikes lol
I know, I've already gotten flak for it......but to my eyes and most importantly - my wifes eyes, it looks very, very good. I can always re-visit at some point. That's the beauty of this, consonant tinkering, discovering what you like or dislike, etc.
The_Donster and King Richard like this.

LG 55" B6 OLED | Denon AVR-x4300h | Outlaw Audio 5000 Model Amplifier | B&W HTM62 S2 - Center | B&W 684 S2 - Fronts | B&W 685 S2 - Surrounds | 2 x SVS SB-2000 Subwoofers | Oppo 203 4K UHD Blu Ray Player | Panamax M5300/Panamax PM8-AV
goombatommy is offline  
post #17862 of 36874 Old 12-22-2016, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jconjason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,121
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1343 Post(s)
Liked: 2220
Quote:
Originally Posted by goombatommy View Post
Ah. I mean the picture looks absolutely fan-freaking-tastic and that's all that matters in the end. But, you buy a Samsung product, you'd expect Samsung parts.

I notice maybe a smidge of edge light bleeding in the car corners and had more of a small white blob coming from the bottom towards the left hand side; but after adjusting the backlight, increased the contrast and color a bit - things looked damn good. The first KS8000 that I owned had MAJOR light flooding to a point where it was unbearable to watch. This second one is a hell of a lot better.
Samsung isn't the only company that outsources. Fairly common.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralob View Post
I've been having persistent TV/OBC issues since 1154 (and now 1155). Essentially, the TV (or OCB) appears keeps flickering off and on. I followed the advice several pages back--and could not find anything additional in my search of this thread--that was to unplug the TV completely which didn't do much good.

I've used the OCB replug method mentioned awhile back several times. I find I have to unplug the OBC, wait a few seconds, and plug it back in. That corrects the issue...until I turn the TV off for an extended period of time and turn it back on. Sometimes the OBC will only flicker a few times before remaining on. Other times, the TV keeps flickering for a bit before I lose patience and manually reset it (by doing the aforementioned unplug, wait, replug method).

Does anyone have any more solutions I could try to employ? I am hoping not to have to reset everything and lose my settings. This did not happen to me pre-1154 so I am pretty sure it is a FW-based issue as opposed to a HW one. Thanks for the help!
Have you swapped out HDMI cables? It very well could be an issue with your OCB cable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgustinJustin View Post
Hello, everyone. New owner of a 65KS8000, and all of the sudden this band of colors has been flickering on and off in the same vertical area. I've had no problems for the three or four weeks I've owned it. Just noticed this last night while streaming on the Amazon app, but it seems to impacting all sources, including the tv menu. See photo. One Connect cable problem maybe? Is there a name for this symptom? Any suggestions?
Try a new HDMI cable. If it persists, you may have a loose connector inside the panel. If that's the case, it will need to be serviced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goombatommy View Post
Off the top of my head:

Standard Viewing
Backlight: 4
Contrast 96
Brightness 55
Sharpness 0
Color 60
Auto Motion Plus --> Custom --> All sliders set to 0
Dynamic Contrast "Off"
Color Temp "Cool"
UHD HDMI Color "On" on all HDMI ports
Also make sure you turn any ECO modes off, they're a pain in the butt.

Remember, this works for me and the room I'm in. Mileage may vary, but it doesn't hurt to give these settings a try. You can also try rtings.com KS800 settings:

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sam...s8000/settings

Hope this helps!
If that looks good to you that's what matters. Your money, your TV. But 60 color? That's greatly oversaturating colors, beyond cartoony.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
jconjason is offline  
post #17863 of 36874 Old 12-22-2016, 08:41 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Illinois
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by goombatommy View Post
I know, I've already gotten flak for it......but to my eyes and most importantly - my wifes eyes, it looks very, very good. I can always re-visit at some point. That's the beauty of this, consonant tinkering, discovering what you like or dislike, etc.
Your settings don't seem too far off from mine. Backlight 10, bright 42, contrast 88. Standard picture with color tone standard. Color 60. Auto motion off. Dynamic contrast low.
zags85 is offline  
post #17864 of 36874 Old 12-22-2016, 08:50 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Illinois
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyKnights View Post
Yes the 60 inch is made by sharp.. No biggy just turn it on and see if it has any issues.. Im just connecting mine so far no separation in back n a few smudges on glass but nothing a monster cleaner with micro fiber can't clean.. The scree is a hot mess with lights shining on it n no image
I saw the screen separation posts and went down to check mine, looks good (had TV for only 2 weeks).

I was glad to see this post though because I questioned my screen quality. So it's normal to look like **** (exaggeration a little) with TV off and flashlight on it? Saw a couple fingerprint smudges on edge the microfiber wouldn't take off and a 4 inch vertical line in a corner. Looked like the small boxes embedded in screen were missing so a manufacturering error. Turned TV on and it doesn't impact image so prob won't mess with taking it back or fixing. Checked screen when I unboxed tv but didn't think I had to check that close. Should I be more concerned or is this standard?
zags85 is offline  
post #17865 of 36874 Old 12-22-2016, 09:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 216
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 24
This is probably just a little nervous side of me since we have been through 3 ks8500's, this being the first fa01, and 4th panel. The previous 3 absolutely blew us away in every aspect aside from the large water spots witch were in the screen. But is there a chance that this different version could be struggling in different areas. It just doesn't seem like the picture quality is the same. We are watching the Grinch tonight Blu ray, on the Samsung UHD player and I am noticing alot DSE, and the greens from the Grinch bleeding into characters around him. I know this is an older movie but it's bad. And I understand that we should take some good with the bad, but this particular unit seems to be way underachieving compared to the other ones we have had. Is everybody watching Blu rays the same way as there UHD discs? Maybe the back is separating because certain goodies have been removed since we have been exchanging?
Davin81 is offline  
post #17866 of 36874 Old 12-22-2016, 10:09 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 216
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 24
This is a scene where the red almost completely takes over the screen, also only parts of the Grinch are vibrant green, most of the time he is brown
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161222_230557617_1482469631506.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	1849313  
Davin81 is offline  
post #17867 of 36874 Old 12-22-2016, 10:20 PM
Senior Member
 
rego00123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 317
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by test4echo101 View Post
So....I've had my KS8000 for 3 weeks now. I've read some of the posts regarding back panel separation and this morning just got around checking mine.

Indeed, along the center top portion of the back panel, my TV as well had come apart. There was also some separation on the far right top side as well.

Interestingly, all I had to do was push (Gently) about 4 inches down from where the separation was happening and heard and felt 3 or four clicks and the panel was back in place. No fuss. At least on my back panel it seems there are plastic pins that snap into slots and those pins popped out.

Some of you with this issue may find this resolves the back panel separation issue for you. Let us know!

Test
It will eventually let go again with time.
The issue happen because of the heat allowing both the tape used and the clips holding the panel in place to break free from their holdings

Things loosen up as heat affects the materials this television is constructed with.

Last edited by rego00123; 12-22-2016 at 10:26 PM.
rego00123 is offline  
post #17868 of 36874 Old 12-22-2016, 10:21 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Is there a way to consistently get the source & resolution information screen to show? (A magic button combo maybe?).
I can get it about 50% of the time after pressing the home button, selecting my source (comcast), and then hitting the select button on the KS remote. The rest of the time pressing the select button only pauses or unpauses the show.

Interestingly enough (to me) the info screen shows the 4k resolution produced by my AVR. Guess that makes sense, but I found it interesting.
MonkeyCircus is offline  
post #17869 of 36874 Old 12-22-2016, 10:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Terminader's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: California
Posts: 1,997
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 908 Post(s)
Liked: 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballen420 View Post
The software on this TV sure knows how to test your patience.

Two major gripes - "smart" input labeling and ARC/TV audio out via HDMI. Maybe it's me. I'm really hoping it is because as much as I love the picture and value, the constant tug of war to get it working is making me think of returning.

I have this hooked up via HDMI4/ARC to a Marantz 7010. I watch my HD Homerun, Netflix and Amazon via the TV apps. Everything else via inputs into the Marantz.

Samsung Apps.
These were working fine, then all of a sudden I lost the 'Receiver' option to output sound tonight. After tweaking just about every setting, I got the option back, but no sound is being output to my AVR. AVR is set to TV audio. Samsung is set to Receiver.

Marantz inputs
Can I turn the smart input labeling off? After stumbling upon the ability to re-designate the input to another option (from PC to HDMI4), it constantly resets to another setting. Tonight it said Home Theater. A first. This looked to be just a re-named option of HDMI4 though, not like the PC input that locks you out of key settings. As frustrating as this is, it's now the lesser of two evils.

Is Anynet/HDMI-CEC causing havoc here?

Samsung: On
Marantz:. HDMI Control off
ARC On
HDMI Pass Through On

I shut HDMI Control off on the Marantz because it was constantly starting up my PS3 with it on. This was happening with my old Pioneer as well.

I think I originally had it set to off on the Samsung too, but since I had to run through the initial setup to get the receiver option back, it turned it on again.

As I'm tying this up my TV froze and now it's very laggy.... and I lost the receiver option again.

Help me keep my sanity here.
I had a very stable setup similar to yours for a couple months and then the TV wouldn't send sound to the receiver even though it recognized it.

In my case, removing the power for a few minutes did the trick.
Terminader is offline  
post #17870 of 36874 Old 12-22-2016, 10:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
The_Donster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: PACNW
Posts: 934
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgustinJustin View Post
Hello, everyone. New owner of a 65KS8000, and all of the sudden this band of colors has been flickering on and off in the same vertical area. I've had no problems for the three or four weeks I've owned it. Just noticed this last night while streaming on the Amazon app, but it seems to impacting all sources, including the tv menu. See photo. One Connect cable problem maybe? Is there a name for this symptom? Any suggestions?
Have you seen this in any other streaming source outside of Amazon or this particular movie? What movie is this again and at one time line does this happen in the movie? If it is a free movie I might be able to check and see if it pops up on mine too.

Official Samsung KS8000/8500 Owners Information PDF
Living Room: LG 55LE5500 Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360 w/Kinect
Bedroom: VIZIO E470VL VIZIO VSB200 Sound Bar Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360
Inner Sanctum: Samsung 65KS8000, Halo XBox One, GoW Xbox 360, Onkyo HT-S5300
The_Donster is offline  
post #17871 of 36874 Old 12-22-2016, 10:51 PM
Newbie
 
TK2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So I am the owner of a UN65KS800DFXZA as of today. I bought it for a game room for the kids to watch movies and play their video games. It looks nice. I came on here to find some settings and see if there is anything to look out for. 596 pages? Geez. What's going on with this TV? I guess my "quick search" is going to turn into a research project. Anybody got cliff's notes?
TK2005 is offline  
post #17872 of 36874 Old 12-22-2016, 10:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bobknavs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Danbury, CT, USA
Posts: 5,007
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2509 Post(s)
Liked: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Donster View Post
Have you seen this in any other streaming source outside of Amazon or this particular movie? What movie is this again and at one time line does this happen in the movie? If it is a free movie I might be able to check and see if it pops up on mine too.
The movie is "The Secret Life of Pets".

I didn't notice anything like that when I watched it from a UHD BD. (Philips BDP7501, Samsung UN49KS8000F.)
The_Donster likes this.
bobknavs is offline  
post #17873 of 36874 Old 12-22-2016, 11:00 PM
 
EddyKnights's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 223
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Well viewing hdr on LG chess in beginning its super bright then towards middle of video it dims down.. Is this was this TV set does can't hold hdr bright setting for more than a minute
EddyKnights is offline  
post #17874 of 36874 Old 12-22-2016, 11:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
The_Donster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: PACNW
Posts: 934
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK2005 View Post
So I am the owner of a UN65KS800DFXZA as of today. I bought it for a game room for the kids to watch movies and play their video games. It looks nice. I came on here to find some settings and see if there is anything to look out for. 596 pages? Geez. What's going on with this TV? I guess my "quick search" is going to turn into a research project. Anybody got cliff's notes?
Welcome to the jungle. Unfortunately we have a lot of people that ask the same questions over and over again or beat a dead horse into glue despite us having a FAQ on the first page, first post. So the thread kind of exploded around October I think? Definitely long before Black Friday. Anyway, most of your questions will be answered there, but here's my settings that I've had since I put it on the wall around the 22nd of July. Use gloves or clean wash cloths when setting up your tv. The screen is a stain magnet. Unplug the tv, use a non-alcohol cleaner and new microfiber when cleaning the screen. Make sure to shut off the eco none sense in your settings menu. Standard, Movie and Game support HDR, but I use Movie mode even when gaming. Streaming, BD and gaming look pretty darn good. Cable and satellite not so much. Firmwares can be a bit buggy, but unplugging the tv or resetting the Smart Hub tends to help there. Outside of that, if you have any specific questions hit us up once you've reviewed the FAQ and used the search function. I'm sure some others can chime in on their own hot buttons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Donster View Post
Have you seen this in any other streaming source outside of Amazon or this particular movie? What movie is this again and at one time line does this happen in the movie? If it is a free movie I might be able to check and see if it pops up on mine too.
The movie is "The Secret Life of Pets".

I didn't notice anything like that when I watched it from a UHD BD. (Philips BDP7501, Samsung UN49KS8000F.)
Thanks man, appreciate that. Yeah, can't help the OP outside of definitely feeling like it is the app and not the tv. I know that I was watching The Good Place on the NBC app and it kept buffering in the same place despite me rewinding it a couple of time. And yet I sat and watch a bunch of things on YouTube without a hitch. So (shrugs), app issue, not tv issue.

Official Samsung KS8000/8500 Owners Information PDF
Living Room: LG 55LE5500 Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360 w/Kinect
Bedroom: VIZIO E470VL VIZIO VSB200 Sound Bar Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360
Inner Sanctum: Samsung 65KS8000, Halo XBox One, GoW Xbox 360, Onkyo HT-S5300
The_Donster is offline  
post #17875 of 36874 Old 12-23-2016, 12:55 AM
Member
 
johnwayne117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Honestly mate, which part of "The response last time still applies to your questions today" wasn't clear?

No it isn't changed, what I said in that post was very clear, it was correct then and still is today. I've just re-read it.

One more time, as it's Xmas:
  1. If you have firmware 1152 or later, you have VP9 Profile 2 support in your TV. If you don't, forget it. Game over. Get the firmware.
  2. The YouTube App, which has not changed since April 2016, automatically plays the HDR videos if you have the firmware 1152 or later. This is because YouTube HDR needs VP9 Profile 2 to work. If you have the firmware, it works. If you don't, it doesn't.
  3. There is no new YouTube App, even though were are all desperate for one, because it's chock full of bugs like the overlapping text problem.

That's it. Just like all other HDR video content, you obviously need to be in "Movie" or "Standard" for it to display.
Thank you, it's just not clear are you watching youtube HDR. I have 1154 so i should get it. But when i get in youtube app, picture mode sometimes from pc, and sometimes after a while it changes to hdr+(when i watched something in this mode). Is there a way to watch
in non-HDR picture mode, and then in sure HDR, so you can obviusly can see the difference? Without a notification HDR is like a placebo...
johnwayne117 is offline  
post #17876 of 36874 Old 12-23-2016, 01:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 8,063
Mentioned: 501 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6937 Post(s)
Liked: 6651
I use the KS8000 purely as a computer monitor. I NEED to calibrate this display for sRGB or at the very least Rec709, the displays native gamut is closer to P3 and I have huge Delta E errors so this is completely unusable for any photography or anything remotely colour dependant.

Can somebody, anybody, please tell me how to get into the SERVICE MENU on these TV's? I Have tried all the options at the linked youtube video found earlier on in this thread, nothing seems to get me into any service menu.

Anyone actually been inside the service menu? Is there a way to calibrate the PC 4:4:4 Chroma mode for 4k/60p? And Change the colour space to sRGB or Rec709?

I have tried creating 3000pt ICC profile corrections and it does not help, I am getting quite frustrated with this. I would like to calibrate the display from the TV not with ICC profiles.

I have this remote combination:



Thanks!

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves

Last edited by Javs; 12-23-2016 at 02:45 AM.
Javs is offline  
post #17877 of 36874 Old 12-23-2016, 04:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mrtickleuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Birmingham, UK - you know, the original one!
Posts: 7,744
Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5367 Post(s)
Liked: 7760
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Donster View Post
Thanks @mke23e . Do these videos have the correct audio @mrtickleuk ?
No. Every HDR video uploaded by "The HDR Channel", which has been grabbed from (and available with correct audio from)
http://demo-uhd3d.com/categorie.php?tag=hdr
has the WRONG audio track. In many cases, it completely ruins the demo.

Don't get those demos from the "The HDR Channel"'s uploads, if they are already on the above website.

Instead, use these links:
http://demo-uhd3d.com/fiche.php?cat=uhd&id=151 Samsung HDR - Chasing the Light
http://demo-uhd3d.com/fiche.php?cat=uhd&id=145 LG Chess - HDR
http://demo-uhd3d.com/fiche.php?cat=uhd&id=144 Sony 4K - Camp HDR
http://demo-uhd3d.com/fiche.php?cat=uhd&id=153 Samsung HDR - Wonderland
http://demo-uhd3d.com/fiche.php?cat=uhd&id=115 Samsung SUHD HDR : Picture Quality Demo
http://demo-uhd3d.com/fiche.php?cat=uhd&id=152 Samsung HDR - Quantum Dot Display
http://demo-uhd3d.com/fiche.php?cat=uhd&id=150 LG Colours of Journey - HDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by goombatommy View Post
Hey guys!

So I purchased the UN60KS8000FXZA TV from Best Buy. Says Version Number: EA01. Manufacture date of October 2016. Just came across this discussion in the thread. So basically - I don't have a true Samsung TV?
False.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goombatommy View Post
Ah. I mean the picture looks absolutely fan-freaking-tastic and that's all that matters in the end. But, you buy a Samsung product, you'd expect Samsung parts.
False again. Sorry but you're being stupid. Every manufacturer in the entire world outsources.

This goes from little parts...
You discover to your disgust that the resistors used on the circuit board weren't made by Samsung, but by a company in Taiwan. You are obviously, outraged by this heinous deceit. Will you send the TV back? NO.

...all the way up to big parts:
If you buy a Sony LCD TV, then 100% of the panels were manufactured by another company. Will you send the TV back? NO.

How many complaints about this issue have you seen from us Euro KS7000 owners? Zero. Why? Because the panel code isn't on the outside of the bloody box and you have to go into the service menu to discover which you have, that's why!

Not only is it silly and false, it's another FAQ. Are we trying to get this thread to 20,000 posts before the end of the year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwayne117 View Post
Thank you, it's just not clear are you watching youtube HDR. I have 1154 so i should get it. But when i get in youtube app, picture mode sometimes from pc, and sometimes after a while it changes to hdr+(when i watched something in this mode). Is there a way to watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO01J-M3g0U in non-HDR picture mode, and then in sure HDR, so you can obviusly can see the difference? Without a notification HDR is like a placebo...
I know what you mean. I watched them before I had the firmware, on purpose for this reason :-)
Three options, I can think of:
  • You could try watching it in "Natural" or "Dynamic" mode. YouTube will download the HDR version, but the TV won't display HDR in those modes. But first try to make those modes look as close to your Movie/Standard as possible.
  • Stay in Movie/Standard, but don't use the TV's YouTube app. Instead, play the same video on a laptop or other device connected up to HDMI. That other device won't be able to handle HDR so YouTube won't give it the "VP9 Profile 2" HDR version. I can use my Samsung K8500 4k Blu-Ray player, which also has a YouTube app, for this.
  • Use one of the many extensions for Chrome on your PC to download the file from YouTube to your PC. It won't be able to save the HDR version. Put the file on a USB stick, and play on the TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
I use the KS8000 purely as a computer monitor. I NEED to calibrate this display for sRGB or at the very least Rec709, the displays native gamut is closer to P3 and I have huge Delta E errors so this is completely unusable for any photography or anything remotely colour dependant.

Can somebody, anybody, please tell me how to get into the SERVICE MENU on these TV's? I Have tried all the options at the linked youtube video found earlier on in this thread, nothing seems to get me into any service menu.


Thanks!
First, just to check, why are you using Native? Have you tried not using the "Native" gamut? Use "Auto" and it will detect Rec709 or Rec2020 and display accordingly (except in HDR+ mode, currently a bug which may be fixed in future firmware).

I can help with the left remote. I'll send you a PM as it's forum etiquette not to publicly post this information. In return, please could you see if you can find an option to disable "CE Dimming" in Movie mode? Not for me - but others here are very keen for this.

_______________
Denon AVR-X4200W, Arcam Alpha 8P; 5.1.4 setup: Mission 702e, M7C1i, 77DS, 731. Rel T5 Sub. Monitor Audio CT165 4 Tops | LG OLED55C8PLA TV | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 12-23-2016 at 04:25 AM.
mrtickleuk is offline  
post #17878 of 36874 Old 12-23-2016, 04:41 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Good day everyone. I just had my KS8000 delivered yesterday after re-ordering it on the 30th Nov, the first one came with a nice 3 inch scratch on the screen so I refused the delivery.

So I have read through the Faq and I have done some searching as well as reading the last few pages but I still have a question or 2.

Firstly in reference to the quote below my questions, I should have my PS4 Pro and XBOX one S going straight into my Denon XVR1200 which supports 4k and then just have the one HDMI cord going from the receiver to the Arc HDMI port on the TV connection hub. Is this correct? I run a 5.1 sound system with 2 atmos speakers at the front. ( I know Xbox one S does not support Atmos as of yet)

My only other question right now is on the TV netflix app. When I first set up the TV I had sound coming through the receiver for netflix but after I watched some TV when I treid to go to the netflix app again it kept playing the sound of the last channel I was watching and not the Netflix sound, does anyone have any idea why this might have happened?

I am looking forward to testing some of the settings out people have recommended on here. I have not had a chance yet but I noticed when the Netflix screen is loading and just has Netflix in the middle the light bleeding out from the bottom of the screen is horrendous, hopefuly once I calibrate the TV with better settings this will not be an issue.

Thank you in advance for any help people can offer.

"Connections:
Everyone's components and personal preferences are different, but here are some things you may want to consider if you need help deciding how to connect your various components to the TV vs. a receiver (AVR):
The KS8000 is able to do audio passthrough via optical or HDMI+ARC. However, audio passthrough on the KS8000 only supports up to Dolby Digital 5.1/DTS. If you require higher quality sound (e.g. Master Audio) or more channels (e.g. 7.1 or Dolby Atmos), the audio should connect straight to your receiver.
If you want to do 4k video passthrough to your KS8000, ensure that your receiver supports 4k resolution. If not, then you need to connect your 4k content directly to the TV.
The TV is able to save video profiles per source/app. If you want to take advantage of this capability, you need to connect those components to the TV's One Connect Box (OCB)."
Mishtar is offline  
post #17879 of 36874 Old 12-23-2016, 04:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 8,063
Mentioned: 501 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6937 Post(s)
Liked: 6651
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
First, just to check, why are you using Native? Have you tried not using the "Native" gamut? Use "Auto" and it will detect Rec709 or Rec2020 and display accordingly (except in HDR+ mode, currently a bug which may be fixed in future firmware).

I can help with the left remote. I'll send you a PM as it's forum etiquette not to publicly post this information. In return, please could you see if you can find an option to disable "CE Dimming" in Movie mode? Not for me - but others here are very keen for this.
Hi, I got your PM, thanks for that, will try in a moment.

As for PC mode, most of the options are locked out, including all calibration controls and also the gamut selection, native is the only option, and its also greyed out. I also can only select Standard or Dynamic picture modes. Things like dynamic contrast, motion interpolation etc are all greyed out to me, which is fine, however I really need control over the calibration.

To get 4:4:4 chroma at 4k/60p I need to be in PC mode and that seems to neuter the displays options completely.

I can only set 2pt white balance and thats it. Useless.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Javs is offline  
post #17880 of 36874 Old 12-23-2016, 05:27 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
No optical out sound!

Help anyone. I have connected my TV to a Beoplay A6 using optical out but have no sound. Anybody have this problem? Tearing my hair out with this!
warmywhite is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
denon s740h , extra , hdmi input , KS8000/KS8500 , no picture , one connect fail , xbox one s

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off