Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 598 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 180067Likes

post #17911 of 36874 Old 12-23-2016, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by ant the ninja View Post
Well, that's up to you. I have just seen quite a few comments of people with the 60 inch having bottom light bleed. I didn't have any blooming issues though. I mean, if I had white text on a black screen, I was able to see the blooming but that's normal for an edge lit. Even on my 55 I notice it from time to time, I don't think any of them don't have it.

Thats true, however they aren't intrusive and really don't bother any one. They don't hinder anything you do. I think people are making this a way bigger issue than it actually is.
Well the light bleed is horrible when u stand up and viewing angle is horrible on mine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17912 of 36874 Old 12-23-2016, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Well, that's up to you. I have just seen quite a few comments of people with the 60 inch having bottom light bleed. I didn't have any blooming issues though. I mean, if I had white text on a black screen, I was able to see the blooming but that's normal for an edge lit. Even on my 55 I notice it from time to time, I don't think any of them don't have it.

Thats true, however they aren't intrusive and really don't bother any one. They don't hinder anything you do. I think people are making this a way bigger issue than it actually is.
Another one here with a 55 inch FA01 panel with no problems. Bought directly from local Best Buy. Carried home myself. Seems to be soooo many problems when ordering and having tvs delivered. I would avoid buying a tv that way at all costs after reading this thread. Geez.
post #17913 of 36874 Old 12-23-2016, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 74
So ive had my 65KS8500 (AA02) for about a month now and i noticed that the audio sync was very slightly delayed from the picture using my cable box. (lips not matching up perfectly) This is using the TV speakers, my surround sound is perfect. The cable box is outputting 1080i with dolby digital. I confirmed this by playing the same channel on my sony set which has the same input delay. There was a small echo with the samsung set audio behind so my gut feeling was correct. i started playing with audio settings on the TV and found hdmi audio format is set to bitstream (which allows the TV to decode Dolby digital) I switch it to PCM and the picture went black and the cable box handshake with the TV and the sync is perfect now and matches the Sony TV in the other room (no echo). I switch back to bitstream and the same issue occurs. It is beyond me why the audio does not match up with the picture perfectly a using dolby digital signal but does perfectly with a pcm audio signal did samsung overlook this? Other then that the set is great. I had to exhange my first set because of 2 stuck red pixels and panel seperation. It does have some clouding in the lower right corner but its only visiable with HDR content where the backlight is cranked up very high
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17914 of 36874 Old 12-23-2016, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 15
So I had my TV today replaced by the Samsung contractors, pretty rude and unfriendly staff, but hey, my TV is now flawless.

Guess people complaining about Samsung's support on the Internet everywhere has to come from somewhere.
The_Donster likes this.

65" KS8000
Onkyo HT-S5800
Beyerdynamics DT 990 Pro
PS4 Pro
Xbox One S
post #17915 of 36874 Old 12-23-2016, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 908 Post(s)
Liked: 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmons View Post
when watching youtube i see the tv brighten up when HDR kicks in> very easy to see when it does. The jazz video is the best looking i have ever seen on a tv
Yes, @mrtickleuk and I really enjoy the Sweaty DJ in the Cymatic Jazz video!
post #17916 of 36874 Old 12-23-2016, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:

I too have a 60 inch and have only seen blooming with credit screens at the start of a show or movie that is using a black screen with white text. Never noticed anything during a show or movie. With the picture quality being so good and the very few times I see blooming it would not be a reason to not keep this TV.

As for the ads, it's no big deal to me. Not like they pop up while I am watching something. It's only there if I need to switch the source. Then I might notice it.
NTC, jeep05, Terminader and 3 others like this.
post #17917 of 36874 Old 12-23-2016, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickened1 View Post
Can you elaborate on this?
Sure. For one, you can look at the size of this thread and it's certainly not 17k+ posts praising the TV.

Most seem to have issues with:
  • Panel Lottery (subjective - most/all TV's have this issue)
  • HDMI ARC Implementation
  • One Connect Box / Lack of HDMI Port on TV
  • Buggy/laggy software

For the panel, it's all about tolerance. I personally have no issues with mine, though I'm sure someone else could find some with it. If you introduce an AVR into the equation, you may start running into issues. The TV will try and intelligently determine what the source is and apply settings to that source - when you have multiple sources being sent to one input, this can be problematic if there are a variety of sources. Myself and others have also run into an issue where the ability to output sound from the TV apps to the AVR through ARC disappears, and the TV may need to be unplugged for a short period of time to correct (still need to test). This may work fine one day and not the next. I won't even go into the issues I have using my Harmony remote, though I think these can be fixed with some intelligent programming.

So, for a normal consumer that may pop this TV onto a wall/stand with a cable box running into it and listen to the TV speakers, then it can be a thing of beauty. It seems once you start introducing variables it starts becoming questionable.
blenky and drogeanx like this.
post #17918 of 36874 Old 12-23-2016, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballen420 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Out of curiosity, does the problem keep coming back?

That would give me hope there may be a fix via firmware and it's not a problem with Samsung's implementation of ARC. Since this passes 5.1 max, I may just use an optical out for the TV apps and plug my Marantz into another HDMI port. The fact that this TV relies on the OCB and doesn't have a dedicated HDMI in on the TV worries me.
My input setup is restabilized (DirecTV, Chromecast, PS3 all on OCB with Denon on ARC) after redoing device setup for my Denon S720W receiver. I removed my Samsung UHD BD player from the OCB and now send it through the Denon. I redid the source setup for that as well. The DirecTV Genie DVR setup has been stable for many months so I don't touch it. I added a Chromecast Ultra to the OCB. I'd say I'm back to 90% satisfied with all my inputs accessible and customized for video settings, best audio preferences (5.1 works for me) and all controlled through the Samsung remote.

Outstanding items:
1. When I select the Receiver as source to play online music, it sometimes competes with TV Audio and I have to manually get to the Denon menu using it's remote or online app. This appears to be something not exactly compatible in the ARC implementation by Samsung or Denon or both. Minor issue overall though.
2. My PS3 was controllable through the Samsung remote in May through September or so and would also power up/off the TV and Denon if I started/shutdown the PS3 on its own. Felt very integrated. Now PS3 works with the other components, but Samsung remote doesn't control it and I have to manually turn on or off the Denon and TV. Again, a very minor issue, but I would like to get the PS3 back to where it was. I've tried to reintroduce the PS3 to the OCB and Device Setup but nothing changes.

So, I'd say stick with it while focusing on the user experience, video and audio preferences that work best for you.
post #17919 of 36874 Old 12-23-2016, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballen420 View Post
Sure. For one, you can look at the size of this thread and it's certainly not 17k+ posts praising the TV.

Most seem to have issues with:
  • Panel Lottery (subjective - most/all TV's have this issue)
  • HDMI ARC Implementation
  • One Connect Box / Lack of HDMI Port on TV
  • Buggy/laggy software

For the panel, it's all about tolerance. I personally have no issues with mine, though I'm sure someone else could find some with it. If you introduce an AVR into the equation, you may start running into issues. The TV will try and intelligently determine what the source is and apply settings to that source - when you have multiple sources being sent to one input, this can be problematic if there are a variety of sources. Myself and others have also run into an issue where the ability to output sound from the TV apps to the AVR through ARC disappears, and the TV may need to be unplugged for a short period of time to correct (still need to test). This may work fine one day and not the next. I won't even go into the issues I have using my Harmony remote, though I think these can be fixed with some intelligent programming.

So, for a normal consumer that may pop this TV onto a wall/stand with a cable box running into it and listen to the TV speakers, then it can be a thing of beauty. It seems once you start introducing variables it starts becoming questionable.
So agree. Not a gamer so tv used strictly for cable and some streaming . Really great tv for that kind of use.
Terminader and blenky like this.
post #17920 of 36874 Old 12-23-2016, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyKnights View Post
Ok So just received the new Un60ks8000

Things I noticed , it had a small crease in the right hand corner on the back and i popped it in.. no biggy
Few smudges and screen with a flash light has some imperfections but its no big deal..
Did software update 1.55
Everything runs good
you tube hdr jazz playing is a dream and looks beyond phenomenal
Comcast looks like a hot mess and almost unwatchable
Ps4 Blue ray movies look kick ass almost 4 k
Took a lot of tweaking to get pic just right
Had a lot of judder and i eliminated by putting auto motion custom n both sliders to 0
Noticed with sdr looks way better with hdr+ engaged so use that setting
Hdr looks kick ass
Now the bad
Light bedding along the bottom its there 1 inch from lower right and lower left .. annoying ..
Theirs definitely some clouding n blooming when a bright image lights up against a pure black screen .. parts of the screen clouds white

So contemplating if I return or not but I know most replacement sets can be a little worse or a little better
Light Bleed sucks , doubt it ruins the image though
Looks like your close to where most of us are. You'll have to determine what is acceptable for you.

For Comcast, try searching this forum for options. I have DirecTV and it has challenges for some. For me, it works well with some DirecTV setting changes and Samsung TV setting changes. The picture quailty is HIGHLY dependent on the channel and the original content.

Last edited by Terminader; 12-23-2016 at 10:51 AM.
post #17921 of 36874 Old 12-23-2016, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmartinijr1 View Post
Another one here with a 55 inch FA01 panel with no problems. Bought directly from local Best Buy. Carried home myself. Seems to be soooo many problems when ordering and having tvs delivered. I would avoid buying a tv that way at all costs after reading this thread. Geez.
delivered or not your going to find the same issues ... Carrying it is a pain in the ass let them pick it up and drop off
post #17922 of 36874 Old 12-23-2016, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The 60 inch exclusively uses EO panels, which is made by sharp. I own a 60 but gave it to my brother. The only problem with it was the light bleed at the bottom of the screen. I think most of the 60s have this.

I now have a 55 FA01 panel that is wonderful, no issues whatsoever and no light bleed at all and night and day different with viewing angles as well.
My 55 FA01 (November) is also noticeably better than my 65 FA01 (May) with light bleed (none) and viewing angle. I'm very happy with both!
post #17923 of 36874 Old 12-23-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminader View Post
Looks like your close to where most if us are. You'll have to determine what is acceptable for you.

For Comcast, try searching this forum for options. I have DirecTV and it has challenges for some. For me, it works well with some DirecTV setting changes and Samsung TV setting changes. The picture quality is HIGHLY dependent on the channel and the original content.
I changed settings , changed resolutions did everything and trust me Comcast looks horrible .. Batman vs Super man was dark and pix-elated semi fuzzy .. lol this tv is beautiful when sent good signal when sent COmcast crap omg.. Run
Terminader likes this.
post #17924 of 36874 Old 12-23-2016, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Looks like your close to where most if us are. You'll have to determine what is acceptable for you.

For Comcast, try searching this forum for options. I have DirecTV and it has challenges for some. For me, it works well with some DirecTV setting changes and Samsung TV setting changes. The picture quailty is HIGHLY dependent on the channel and the original content.
To add some positive feedback, I have Verizon that is running via ethernet off my ONT into HD HomeRun and the picture quality from cable channels is outstanding. I really expected to have a scaling issue with 720/1080 signals from cable being upscaled to 4k and have been blown away by the fact this is a non-issue for me and actually looks better than my prior Panny Plasma.
NTC and Terminader like this.
post #17925 of 36874 Old 12-23-2016, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Wow!

Anybody see the Santa Claus army vs 11,000 penguins 4k video? Sick but unbelievable picture! Lol!
post #17926 of 36874 Old 12-23-2016, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
delivered or not your going to find the same issues ... Carrying it is a pain in the ass let them pick it up and drop off
Back of my car was fine. Don't trust the delivery guys at all. Hey Merry Christmas and happy holidays everybody! Enjoy!
Terminader and The_Donster like this.
post #17927 of 36874 Old 12-23-2016, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
Anybody see the Santa Claus army vs 11,000 penguins 4k video? Sick but unbelievable picture! Lol!
Is it also HDR by any chance?
post #17928 of 36874 Old 12-23-2016, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by zags85 View Post
Just double checked and I have a little more time. Headed to best buy today.
Have you tried wiping it off with the included microfiber yet? That is worth a try. Seen a lot of marks on the various sets I've had similar to that and most of them wiped off. If it is a scratch and deep enough you can feel that with a finger nail but I'd be super careful about trying that test. Scratches may reveal themselves if you shut the TV off and use a 1000 lumen LED flashlight to shine on that spot.
Quote:
Pq is amazing but light bleed and blooming in dark scenes is making me think hard about returning ... Do I play the lotto.. Imagine trying to box this sucker again and have Best buy pick it up and swap it .. what a pain
Anyone who says they have a perfect TV is not seeing something wrong. It has a problem. I don't believe perfection exists any more with these devices. I've been through enough that I have a right to that opinion.

At this point I'm desperate enough to tape up the corners I am getting light bleed from and live with a blown pixel as long as it is out of the way. IME dead pixels also can pop up after a few days of operation. So it can be fine out of the box and then a few days later you notice something.
Terminader likes this.
post #17929 of 36874 Old 12-23-2016, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Soundbar

I just bought a 65KS8000. should have it up shortly. I am shopping for a soundbar. Wondering what everyone is doing with their sets.
post #17930 of 36874 Old 12-23-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide_NVN View Post
Have you tried wiping it off with the included microfiber yet? That is worth a try. Seen a lot of marks on the various sets I've had similar to that and most of them wiped off. If it is a scratch and deep enough you can feel that with a finger nail but I'd be super careful about trying that test. Scratches may reveal themselves if you shut the TV off and use a 1000 lumen LED flashlight to shine on that spot.

Anyone who says they have a perfect TV is not seeing something wrong. It has a problem. I don't believe perfection exists any more with these devices. I've been through enough that I have a right to that opinion.

At this point I'm desperate enough to tape up the corners I am getting light bleed from and live with a blown pixel as long as it is out of the way. IME dead pixels also can pop up after a few days of operation. So it can be fine out of the box and then a few days later you notice something.
I know trust me .> They say if you look you will find .. My thing is ,is it even worth exchanging this set in hopes i get a panel that has no to very little light bleed and blooming with white texts over back ground.. Is it like 1 out of 100 if i find a panel 95-99 percent perfect
Terminader likes this.
post #17931 of 36874 Old 12-23-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Is it like 1 out of 100 if i find a panel 95-99 percent perfect
Chicken feet dipped in blood sprinkled on the credit card used for purchase. Thank me later.
joetech likes this.
post #17932 of 36874 Old 12-23-2016, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I had a very stable setup similar to yours for a couple months and then the TV wouldn't send sound to the receiver even though it recognized it.

In my case, removing the power for a few minutes did the trick.
This worked for me. Receiver is now an option again for sound output and sound is actually coming out of my speakers. Thanks
Terminader likes this.
post #17933 of 36874 Old 12-23-2016, 12:38 PM

Also I know there has been ton of questions asked about this topic and everyone response is different .. To me the biggest factor of pq setting on this tv is HDR+ during sdr and Color space when to use native or auto.... Auto sometimes over saturate colors bing time depending on source and native does the job.. just wish we wouldn't always have to change settings depending what source is coming in to get pq just right .. Whats your guys take on using hdr + with sdr or hdr and color space native n auto.. Oh and autio motion plus at custom 0 to me is a must unless you want judder
post #17934 of 36874 Old 12-23-2016, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Luckily, being an Elite Plus Member with Best Buy, I have until February 14th to return the TV. I'll give it a few weeks and see if any of these issues start popping up. Thus far, I had some light bleeding and flooding, but easily adjusted the backlight/contrast/brightness, etc. and pretty much went away.

LG 55" B6 OLED | Denon AVR-x4300h | Outlaw Audio 5000 Model Amplifier | B&W HTM62 S2 - Center | B&W 684 S2 - Fronts | B&W 685 S2 - Surrounds | 2 x SVS SB-2000 Subwoofers | Oppo 203 4K UHD Blu Ray Player | Panamax M5300/Panamax PM8-AV
post #17935 of 36874 Old 12-23-2016, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Also I know there has been ton of questions asked about this topic and everyone response is different .. To me the biggest factor of pq setting on this tv is HDR+ during sdr and Color space when to use native or auto.... Auto sometimes over saturate colors bing time depending on source and native does the job.. just wish we wouldn't always have to change settings depending what source is coming in to get pq just right .. Whats your guys take on using hdr + with sdr or hdr and color space native n auto.. Oh and autio motion plus at custom 0 to me is a must unless you want judder
I'd never use HDR+ with HDR content. I always leave Color Space at Auto and you're absolutely spot on with Auto Motion Plus; Set to Custom and slide everything to 0.
Terminader and mrtickleuk like this.

LG 55" B6 OLED | Denon AVR-x4300h | Outlaw Audio 5000 Model Amplifier | B&W HTM62 S2 - Center | B&W 684 S2 - Fronts | B&W 685 S2 - Surrounds | 2 x SVS SB-2000 Subwoofers | Oppo 203 4K UHD Blu Ray Player | Panamax M5300/Panamax PM8-AV
post #17936 of 36874 Old 12-23-2016, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post
Personally, I don't understand what the fuss is about. The ads have always been there in one form or another in the Samsung Smart Hub, and they amount to nothing more than a small tile advertising a program, movie, or service. And while I agree they can be somewhat annoying, they are nowhere near as intrusive as the pop-up ads and commercials that one encounters daily while on the internet. Most web-connected video devices use ads, so they are not going anywhere anytime soon...no matter how much some people might protest. They provide revenue to the manufacturers, the app developers, and the content providers, and finding video devices for sale in the West which are totally and completely free of these minor nuisances may soon become impossible.
Count me in the camp of people who are aggravated by the ads. I don't fully agree with the analogies above because with television and internet I can easily choose to change the channel/website/service, not to mention that it's 100% established and expected to see ads on this type of content. With a large and expensive premium TV that's mounted on my wall it's not nearly as easy or expected. And of course there was no mention of forced ads on the box, or in the manual. For me it wasn't until a couple days after I mounted the TV, spent hours configuring it (PQ, remote control, etc) that I saw the first ad. I like a clean ad-free experience, and I didn't expect the premium price I paid for this TV wasn't enough for Samsung. I like the TV enough and it's too much work to do anything about it now. But next time I'm in the market for a TV I'll surely be looking more closely at other options.

It may be minor, but there's at least one piece of functionality impacted by the ad: If you try to configure a remote control macro to open Netflix (or any Smart Hub app), then you can no longer rely on it being in a certain position in the Smart Hub menu and instead you need to jump through hoops to make this work. Maybe someone knows of a better way, but I would have liked to perform "open smart hub, right arrow, select" to open Netflix. The ad slot comes and goes, you cannot rely on it being there.

Lastly, I can't help by wonder if it'll get worse. I don't know what Samsung's expectation is. Currently it's there like 50% of the time (for me, anyway), and I bet it will soon be there 100% of the time. But who knows, maybe they believe it's okay to place several ads to the menu, or even another whole row of them. I have no idea, and the lack of control bothers me.
ballen420 and blenky like this.
post #17937 of 36874 Old 12-23-2016, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
had mine ordered love it. but whats the deal thinking of you move around you won't see light bleeding. every edge lit tv if you move to the right height and angle you will see light bleed. mine does. but when I'm sitting and watching i have 0// thats called 0 light bleed. if you move around looking for it some of you might need need to go back to crt tvs. if you dont have problems i wouldn't look for it. i have seen people come here and ask what test pattern some1 is using so they can see if they have the problem. lol
post #17938 of 36874 Old 12-23-2016, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide_NVN View Post
Thanks for the idea, tried a microfiber last night which didn't work. I ordered a Monster ScreenClean 2.0 for pick up at Best Buy, and chatted with them at the same time on an exchange.

They are bringing a new one next Saturday. The ScreenClean did take most of the external mark off but you can still see the black vertical line (4 inches or so). It's like the pixels are missing on the inside of the screen. Almost positive it's not scratched. Here's to hoping the replacement is of similar picture quality.

Edit- I will add this is all when the TV is off with a flashlight or looking at the corner.

Last edited by zags85; 12-23-2016 at 02:22 PM.
post #17939 of 36874 Old 12-23-2016, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Quoted: 5367 Post(s)
Liked: 7760
Quote:
Yes, @mrtickleuk and I really enjoy the Sweaty DJ in the Cymatic Jazz video!
I think he's miming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aperry View Post
It may be minor, but there's at least one piece of functionality impacted by the ad: If you try to configure a remote control macro to open Netflix (or any Smart Hub app), then you can no longer rely on it being in a certain position in the Smart Hub menu and instead you need to jump through hoops to make this work. Maybe someone knows of a better way, but I would have liked to perform "open smart hub, right arrow, select" to open Netflix. The ad slot comes and goes, you cannot rely on it being there.
On this point - surely you still can?

When the advert is not present, the bottom row of smart hub is
[settings] [source] [search] [Divider] [your 1st icon] [your 2nd icon] [your 3rd icon]

With the advert, it's
[settings] [source] [search] [advert] [Divider] [your 1st icon] [your 2nd icon] [your 3rd icon]

In my picture, Sky is my 1st icon; the YouTube is my 2nd.

ie The advert only appears to the LEFT of the Divider line.

When I press "Home", the cursor lands to the RIGHT of the divider in both cases. On whichever source I was currently on.
If I was on Sky and press "Home", the cursor starts on Sky as the selected icon.
If I was in YouTube, the selected icon is YouTube when Home is pressed.
etc.

So I don't see how any pre-programmed number of "right" commands would work, because it depends on whether you start from [1st] or [2nd] for example?

Have I misunderstood you?

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #17940 of 36874 Old 12-23-2016, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zags85 View Post
Edit- I will add this is all when the TV is off with a flashlight or looking at the corner.
I have the monster stuff and it works.

I would suggest that if you have a set that looks acceptable to you while you are using it I would not exchange it because of marks on the screen visible only while it is turned off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
denon s740h , extra , hdmi input , KS8000/KS8500 , no picture , one connect fail , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page