Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 647 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 179988Likes

post #19381 of 36743 Old 01-06-2017, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Ever since upgrading to 1160 I have noticed on three separate occasions where I turned on the TV and heard sound but saw just a black screen. I tried turning everything off and back on and still a black screen. I can access the smarthub and menu on the TV but my sources show a black screen. The only thing that brings it back is holding down the power button on the remote until the TV reboots and I get the SUHD logo. Is anyone else on 1160 having this issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19382 of 36743 Old 01-06-2017, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post
I want to praise this TV I put up an outdoor antenna to see what local HD channels look like. I will tell you the over the air channels are pristine compared to what I get from directv. Unbelievable and simply brilliant.
I do the same thing from time to time. Watch OTA. OTA totally uncompressed. DirectTV and cable totally over compressed. The only thing that was close to OTA was when I had an 8 foot satellite dish and could pull virgin signals from the original raw source. Those days are pretty much gone.

Last edited by berniez; 01-06-2017 at 12:40 PM.
post #19383 of 36743 Old 01-06-2017, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by layzzzee8 View Post
To get the smooth motion of a plasma you need to turn up the judder reduction which in turn increases SOE. On the Sony TV's, in particular a 850d that I have played around with, you can turn everything up to max and not see any SOE. I don't know how people can enjoy a Samsung TV with AMP off or judder reduction on low. Either judder doesn't bother you or you never owned a plasma. Coming from plasma to LCD is quite a jarring experience as far as motion is concerned.
Just to add another perspective, I have owned a plasma in the past, and I have seen judder and blur on other sets, but on my KS8000 I've experience zero judder or blur with AMP set to off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19384 of 36743 Old 01-06-2017, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Wow, usually not a fan of the "fake" processing that HDR+ represents. Watching Dances With Wolves bluray this afternoon and on a lark I toggled the HDR+ on and call me crazy but it looks amazing! Not true HDR quality but a noticeable step up from the standard bluray. Color me impressed.
Terminader, acefr, blenky and 1 others like this.
post #19385 of 36743 Old 01-06-2017, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD83 View Post
Mine looks nothing like either of yours. Bars are solid black. Id try and exchange it for a different set. Even when I look from above or below the bars at different angles mine doesn't look like this. And krispykeith I have my backlight always set at 7-8 at least
Even in a dark/dim room?

I have a 65" with flash lighting and clouding I'm trying to get repaired, replaced or returned. I got directly from Samsung and have had for slightly over a week. I had a 60" which wasn't like this but had backlight bleed on the bottom that affected brightness uniformity whether light or dark.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1815-sm.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	254.2 KB
ID:	1877833   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1810-sm.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	1877841  
post #19386 of 36743 Old 01-06-2017, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by joetech View Post
Just to add another perspective, I have owned a plasma in the past, and I have seen judder and blur on other sets, but on my KS8000 I've experience zero judder or blur with AMP set to off.
I have found having judder reduction to 0 instead of having AMP off introduces its own set of problems with motion issues. In fact, it's the only time I have ever noticed set introduced judder with mine.

This sets motion interpolation controls act oddly and you cannot have one control off completely as long as AMP is enabled. 0 doesn't seem to actually be "off" it's just the lowest reduction point.

With everything off I have no issues at all, but obviously the negatives of this panels native motion handling are front and center.

it really a pick your poison type of solution.

This set defiantly has some moderate native motion blurring. How much you notice it or it bothers you will really depend on your own tolerances.
Terminader and King Richard like this.

Last edited by rego00123; 01-06-2017 at 01:43 PM.
post #19387 of 36743 Old 01-06-2017, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Liked: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by krispykeith View Post
Wow, usually not a fan of the "fake" processing that HDR+ represents. Watching Dances With Wolves bluray this afternoon and on a lark I toggled the HDR+ on and call me crazy but it looks amazing! Not true HDR quality but a noticeable step up from the standard bluray. Color me impressed.
I agree - I use HDR+ all the time for good SDR HD sources.
Terminader likes this.

Samsung UE55KS8000 | Pioneer SC-LX701 | Dune HD Pro 4K | Zidoo Z9S | Apple TV 4K | Nvidia Shield TV (2019) | Fire TV Stick 4K | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Player
post #19388 of 36743 Old 01-06-2017, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
I've played around with 720p, 1080i, and 1080p on my FIOS box and it doesn't seem to make any difference to me. What really made a difference was upgrading my speed to 150mbit+. They had to switch out my ONT and move me over to the GPON network. Ever since then the blockiness in dark scenes has gone away. I still have issues with certain channels (like ABC) stuttering every few seconds. And the walking dead on AMC is unwatchable as during panning shots any details in faces seem to flicker and pixelate. Prior to the speed upgrade I had a FIOS tech out on multiple occasions to try to resolve. We swapped out cable boxes, replaced splitters, swapped the ONT, and checked all wiring. Nothing resolved it until I switched over to the GPON network. The other issue I have noticed on the later firmwares is that turning up judder reduction too high causes fast moving objects to pixelate, especially on certain channels.
How do I tell if Im on GPON or not?

I looked in my basement, my ONT is model I-211M-K, my router is a new black quantum one, it says the ONT was installed in my basement in 2014, I just got the new router about 6 months ago.

I have a 50mps/50mps up/down plan from Verizon.

Do you think higher internet speeds would help? I could go 75/75 for another $5 a month...

Is it safe to assume I'm on GPON already?

I am enticed since you say switching over to GPON really helped your picture quality, I want to make sure I am on GPON as well, lol.

Last edited by kevdood83; 01-06-2017 at 01:51 PM.
post #19389 of 36743 Old 01-06-2017, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1305 Post(s)
Liked: 2157
Quote:
Originally Posted by krispykeith View Post
Mine is almost identical to yours. Those pictures could be my set, and it is on the stand. Backlight at 5, movie, smart led high.
Smart LED to high is likely the cause of the light bleed and clouding on your set. Try Low for basic viewing.
Terminader and King Richard like this.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #19390 of 36743 Old 01-06-2017, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketamine View Post
Even in a dark/dim room?

I have a 65" with flash lighting and clouding I'm trying to get repaired, replaced or returned. I got directly from Samsung and have had for slightly over a week. I had a 60" which wasn't like this but had backlight bleed on the bottom that affected brightness uniformity whether light or dark.
nope nothing like that at all, yours look like spotlights shining down from a chopper, ill try and snap a pic if I get a chance. I have a 65" also with the FA01 panel, that light would annoy me no way is it suppose to look like that

Last edited by JohnnyD83; 01-06-2017 at 02:06 PM.
post #19391 of 36743 Old 01-06-2017, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
TV's keep turning off

Hello

I have purchased 5 of these UN55KS8000F and I'm having some pretty major trouble. One of them went off and when I turn it back on again I get a flicker of sound then the screen goes blueish black and then appears to go off. The IR light blinks. Anyway for that one I logged a call with Samsung and they are sending a technician.

However now on another two of them I noticed last night they have started randomly turning off after a period of time. I checked all the settings and and they are definitely not set to automatically turn off etc.

I'm going to log another call with Samsung but does anyone have any ideas or things to try. I'm getting really really scared I have purchased a batch of lemons!!

Thank you.

Phil
post #19392 of 36743 Old 01-06-2017, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketamine View Post
Even in a dark/dim room?

Definitely not normal, even in a completely dark room, and the vast majority of people will not experience anything remotely close to that.
King Richard likes this.
post #19393 of 36743 Old 01-06-2017, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clement Afficial View Post
Thanks, but picture quality wise, is it jaw dropping better?
Or just a little bit better?
With the proper content, you will be happy going from an 8-bit/non-Quantum Dot TV to a 10-bit/Quantum Dot model. Further, the 2016 SUHD models get significantly brighter than the JU/KU models for added pop and color rendition.

If you have an itch for a TV, jump in. If you can wait several months, best to do that with the new models already announced.

Q8FN
KS9800
F8000
post #19394 of 36743 Old 01-06-2017, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Ever since upgrading to 1160 I have noticed on three separate occasions where I turned on the TV and heard sound but saw just a black screen. I tried turning everything off and back on and still a black screen. I can access the smarthub and menu on the TV but my sources show a black screen. The only thing that brings it back is holding down the power button on the remote until the TV reboots and I get the SUHD logo. Is anyone else on 1160 having this issue?
no issues here, been on 1160 for a few weeks
Terminader likes this.
post #19395 of 36743 Old 01-06-2017, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctura View Post
With the proper content, you will be happy going from an 8-bit/non-Quantum Dot TV to a 10-bit/Quantum Dot model. Further, the 2016 SUHD models get significantly brighter than the JU/KU models for added pop and color rendition.

If you have an itch for a TV, jump in. If you can wait several months, best to do that with the new models already announced.
But the new models will be at least $500 more
post #19396 of 36743 Old 01-06-2017, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by baile76a View Post
Hello

I have purchased 5 of these UN55KS8000F and I'm having some pretty major trouble. One of them went off and when I turn it back on again I get a flicker of sound then the screen goes blueish black and then appears to go off. The IR light blinks. Anyway for that one I logged a call with Samsung and they are sending a technician.

However now on another two of them I noticed last night they have started randomly turning off after a period of time. I checked all the settings and and they are definitely not set to automatically turn off etc.

I'm going to log another call with Samsung but does anyone have any ideas or things to try. I'm getting really really scared I have purchased a batch of lemons!!

Thank you.

Phil
Happens to me a few times a week, TV just randomly shuts off. I've even had it shut off, I turn it on and five minutes later it will turn off again!

Super frustrating..talking to Samsung now hoping they will upgrade me..
post #19397 of 36743 Old 01-06-2017, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked: 1296
Quote:
Hello

Thank you.

Phil
Might be time to call an electrician or your power company (or purchase a power conditioner-not a surge protector). Power fluctuations within your home or neighborhood could be causing your problem.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931

Last edited by Rolls-Royce; 01-06-2017 at 02:16 PM.
post #19398 of 36743 Old 01-06-2017, 02:16 PM
NTC

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
Hello

Thank you.

Phil
Whenever you lose picture on the TV and th IR red light starts to blink, it typically means some internal component activated the shut off switch. Even a malfunction in the audio hardware could cause this. Unlike a Panasonic TV, which can tell you the cause by the number of blinks followed by a pause, the Samsung will just blink. A tech is needed to figure out the cause. Short answer made long, something is not right if it blinks.
Rolls-Royce and King Richard like this.
post #19399 of 36743 Old 01-06-2017, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Hello

Thank you.

Phil
Unfortunately, I'm sorry to say I agree with you

Cheers
post #19400 of 36743 Old 01-06-2017, 02:23 PM
NTC

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
Next time it happens, do not bring up the smart hub, instead disconnect the one connect cable from the TV and see if you get the message on the TV to connect the one box. If you get this message, it may be something downstream of the TV, starting with the one connect cable. What source or sources were you using when they occurred.
post #19401 of 36743 Old 01-06-2017, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
How big improvement is KS8000 compared to JU7100?
The main things I do is watch Movies through USB/Netflix and play my PS4
I dont watch sport, or cable, etc..
So nobody saw how improved is KS8000 compared to JU7100, is the difference really that big?
post #19402 of 36743 Old 01-06-2017, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevdood83 View Post
How do I tell if Im on GPON or not?

I looked in my basement, my ONT is model I-211M-K, my router is a new black quantum one, it says the ONT was installed in my basement in 2014, I just got the new router about 6 months ago.

I have a 50mps/50mps up/down plan from Verizon.

Do you think higher internet speeds would help? I could go 75/75 for another $5 a month...

Is it safe to assume I'm on GPON already?

I am enticed since you say switching over to GPON really helped your picture quality, I want to make sure I am on GPON as well, lol.
I believe the I-211M-K is GPON. Everyone in my neighborhood switched to FIOS when they first came to the area about 8-10 years ago before GPON was even available. One would assume that most of the neighborhood is still on the BPON network unless they recently switched to FIOS or upgraded their speed. I am assuming that the old BPON network is just congested and/or using old equipment that caused the blockiness. Since you are already on GPON I don't really have any suggestions for you other than making sure all your splitters are in good condition and all the connections are tight since they loosen up over time. The speed you pay for shouldn't have anything to do with the picture quality. I did find that turning down the brightness a notch or two helped with the dark scenes during that time.
kevdood83 likes this.
post #19403 of 36743 Old 01-06-2017, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Sure would be cool if the 2016 sets would support HDMI 2.1 via a firmware update. The extra bandwidth to support 10 bit 4:4:4 chroma or 120hz inputs would be nice features to have especially for a PC display.

Sadly the chances of this happening are somewhere between extremely remote and no way ever.
post #19404 of 36743 Old 01-06-2017, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTC View Post
Next time it happens, do not bring up the smart hub, instead disconnect the one connect cable from the TV and see if you get the message on the TV to connect the one box. If you get this message, it may be something downstream of the TV, starting with the one connect cable. What source or sources were you using when they occurred.
Two times I had last watched my shield and was turning it back on to the shield. I could hear the clicks from the shield if I pushed up and down on the remote. I assumed it was an HDCP handshake issue or sleep issue with the shield. The last time I had previously been watching cable and turned it back on to watch cable. I could hear the channel but black screen. It seems like everything will work for 2 days and then I'll have the issue requiring me to hard reset the TV. I unplugged and plugged back in the HDMI cables with no change. I guess I'll try the OCB cable next.
post #19405 of 36743 Old 01-06-2017, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
So nobody saw how improved is KS8000 compared to JU7100, is the difference really that big?
This isn't the thread for this question, and it will be deleted. Unless you own a KS8000, I suggest you make a new thread with this question.
post #19406 of 36743 Old 01-06-2017, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
Might be time to call an electrician or your power company (or purchase a power conditioner-not a surge protector). Power fluctuations within your home or neighborhood could be causing your problem.
I thought about power surges but then i see many others having these issues? As these are mounted on the wall we put new sockets behind them. How would one fit a surge protector behind them as there is not much space? Do they make tiny single socket surge protectors?
Thanks
Phil
post #19407 of 36743 Old 01-06-2017, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked: 1296
Quote:
I thought about power surges but then i see many others having these issues? As these are mounted on the wall we put new sockets behind them. How would one fit a surge protector behind them as there is not much space? Do they make tiny single socket surge protectors?
Thanks
Phil
I'm not talking about power surges, Phil, but up and down fluctuations of the power on your line. A surge protector will have absolutely no effect on this. Your power company should be able to check it for you.
NTC likes this.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #19408 of 36743 Old 01-06-2017, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks
Phil
I put in a whole house surge protector.
post #19409 of 36743 Old 01-06-2017, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Think we will see another OCB with HDMI 2.1 since it has been released? This was the purpose of Samsung making OCB's in the 1st place right?
Terminader likes this.
post #19410 of 36743 Old 01-06-2017, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dir_d View Post
Think we will see another OCB with HDMI 2.1 since it has been released? This was the purpose of Samsung making OCB's in the 1st place right?
Not if they can just enable it with a firmware update.
Terminader likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
denon s740h , extra , hdmi input , KS8000/KS8500 , no picture , one connect fail , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page