Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 649 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 179938Likes

post #19441 of 36623 Old 01-06-2017, 10:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalav View Post
For any FiOS customers, particularly layzzzee8, 3nsdan2, and kevdood83, whose recent picture-quality posts I've read with great interest:

I've had the 55" KS8000 since Black Friday and my return window is about to close. Similar to what some of you have said, many inputs have been fine, such as Bluray, Amazon Prime, and PS4 Pro. In fact those sources seem to have perfect motion handling. But FiOS has been a nightmare. Some programming isn't too bad, but others suffer from terrible motion problems. Varies from channel to channel and within a channel. The issue that's making me consider returning the set is where different parts of the picture appear to bounce around for lack of a better word (definitely exacerbated by programs/movies filmed with hand-helds). I watched I Am Legend on HBO. Just awful.....faces, walls, anything...seemed to have a mind of their own. Periodically shifting left to right, and up and down, a few lines of pixels at a time like a wave running through parts of the picture. No stability. As an example, in one scene a seated character's leg appeared to bounce upward slightly.

Distressingly, I have a Samsung HD model from 3-4 years ago that shows NO sign of this motion problem when I tested the exact same program, from the SAME DVR, that all my TVs access.

I have FiOS Quantum (installed nearly 10 years ago, so I'm sure I have the old ONT, but thinking that's not the issue given the other TV doesn't have the motion issues).

Curious if any of you have seen similar issues. I know there's probably no magic bullet, but any suggestions? I've tried the following with only marginal results: changed box output between 1080i and 1080p. Tested multiple motion settings on the TV, including clear motion on/off, and well as the some of the other expert settings like Digital Clean View. Would hate to return it given the performance with other sources. Thanks!
It's not the tv,it's the feed. I just watched I AM LEGEND thru time warner,thru a stream,and finally on a DVD copy.........did not have any of those problems. Make sure all your processing is turned off. I would try and switch out cable box first. I've also had this tv since the week of Black Friday. I am completely satisfied with mine. I'm lucky I guess. Hope you can fix it.
Rolls-Royce and The_Donster like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19442 of 36623 Old 01-06-2017, 10:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 36
As I increase Contrast during a Advanced Contrast White Pattern and the image begins to change to a pink tint color at around contrast 88 and above.
Does that mean that the whites and or brighter than whites are clipping?

I'm using Disney WoW calibration blu-ray.
post #19443 of 36623 Old 01-06-2017, 11:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Hey guys really got a chance today to try out all this new stuff you guys have helped with! WOW major difference, I did have a question about the "apply to all sources" Everything I set up was under standard, and I based all settings off the ratings post on here. SDR, UHD HDR, and our cable....Will it remember all these settings with apply to all sources? Or do I need to change that? Some how the eco settings got turned back on, and I don't know if this is happening Everytime I turn the TV on and off!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19444 of 36623 Old 01-06-2017, 11:44 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 4367
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
I'm not clear on whether HDMI 2.1 has the same pinouts as the older forms.

Well according to Chris Pasqualino, HDMI Forum Chairman, "Connectors will be the same."

Richard
joe75xp likes this.
post #19445 of 36623 Old 01-07-2017, 12:06 AM

Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richard View Post
From what we know so far about Dynamic HDR10, it sounds like it will in fact require an HDMI 2.1 connection. We will know for sure when it is finally released.
The HDMI.org FAQ suggests that dynamic HDR can be achieved via firmware update. So the poster was right.
post #19446 of 36623 Old 01-07-2017, 12:20 AM
Lionheart of AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB4XSBC View Post
The HDMI.org FAQ suggests that dynamic HDR can be achieved via firmware update. So the poster was right.

Maybe you should go back and re-read > THIS POST <

Note: That particular HDMI 2.1 FAQ is referencing the 2.1 Specification - and all it says is:

Q: Is this [Dynamic HDR] accessible via a firmware upgrade?

A: Manufacturers will be implementing this in various ways

This does NOT address whether or not Dynamic HDR10 will be possible with previous HDMI versions (it very well might be, we don't yet know), only that it will be with HDMI 2.1 - it is part of the HDMI 2.1 Specification. (The HDMI 2.0a and HDMI 2.0b spec. pages make NO mention of Dynamic HDR. Dynamic HDR is NOT part of the HDMI 2.0a/b Specification.)

See also: > HDMI 2.1 PDF (PowerPoint Presentation) <

Yes, Dynamic HDR10 might be possible with a simple firmware update on this TV. We'll just have to wait and see.

Note: Dynamic HDR will not only require the "correct" HDMI connection (2.1?) for HDMI connected devices, but will also require a sufficiently "capable" SoC in the TV itself to implement it.

As to HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma) HDR, we know that it requires HDMI 2.0b

From the > HDMI.org website <
Quote:
Previously, HDMI Specification Version 2.0b (HDMI 2.0b) only supported HDR (High Dynamic Range) video transport in the SMPTE ST 2084 EOTF (as applied in the media profile commonly known as HDR10), by referencing the CTA861.3 specification. The Consumer Technology Association (CTA) has recently notified the HDMI Forum of the adoption of a new version of the CTA-861 Specification, CTA-861-G. This new version provides additional support for HDR Video transport by including (among others) an extension to the static metadata signaling to include the HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma) EOTF. The HDMI Forum has assessed the applicability of the CTA-861-G Specification to HDMI 2.0b. The HDMI Forum has confirmed that the extension of the static metadata signaling to include HLG can be utilized under the existing HDMI 2.0b Specification. This means that HLG Video Transport functionality may be implemented on HDMI 2.0b compliant devices.

Richard
Terminader and mrtickleuk like this.

Last edited by King Richard; 01-09-2017 at 05:18 AM.
post #19447 of 36623 Old 01-07-2017, 01:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hey,

I just bought a Samsung KS8500 and I need some help from the experts here.

When I tried the HDR+ Mode. It was much less vivid than the Dynamic mode. Is that normal? Is there is a fault in my TV? Or its just something I am missing here?

Your help is appreciated
post #19448 of 36623 Old 01-07-2017, 01:35 AM
Lionheart of AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostafamraafat View Post
Hey,

I just bought a Samsung KS8500 and I need some help from the experts here.

When I tried the HDR+ Mode. It was much less vivid than the Dynamic mode. Is that normal? Is there is a fault in my TV? Or its just something I am missing here?

Your help is appreciated

Congrats on your new purchase and welcome to the forums.

To answer your question, yes, that is perfectly normal.

Start by reading the FIRST POST in the thread (especially the FAQs).

Richard
dgmayor and Terminader like this.
post #19449 of 36623 Old 01-07-2017, 03:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Maybe you should go back and re-read my > PREVIOUS POST <

Note: That particular HDMI FAQ was referencing the 2.1 Specification - and all it says is:

Q: Is this [Dynamic HDR] accessible via a firmware upgrade?

A: Manufacturers will be implementing this in various ways

This does NOT address whether or not Dynamic HDR10 will be be possible with previous HDMI Specs. (it very well might be) - only that it will with the HDMI 2.1 Spec.

See also: > HDMI 2.1 PDF (PowerPoint Presentation) <

Yes, Dynamic HDR10 might be possible with a simple firmware update on this TV. We just don't know yet.

Note: Dynamic HDR will not only require the "correct" HDMI connection (2.1?) for HDMI connected devices, but will also require a sufficiently "capable" SoC in the TV itself to implement it.

As to HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma) HDR, we know that it requires HDMI 2.0b

From the > HDMI.org website <

Richard
If HDMI 2.1 cannot be achieved with a FW update, can't we just purchase a new One Connect box that will be 2.1 compatible? I thought that was exactly the point of having the 1C - upgradable in the future to accommodate new formats.
post #19450 of 36623 Old 01-07-2017, 03:45 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post
Not sure what to say or how to help you. I can't even get close to displaying anything that horrific. can you post your settings and what is the source your watching,
Settings: Backlight-5, Brightness-45, Contrast-97, Smart LED-High and all the ECO solutions were OFF. Source - Plex APP, playing 1080p movie file. The pictures looks a little bit worse than your eye can see, they are overexposed just to show the problem area. I think the screws were the leg goes into tv are either over tighten or loose on the frame. And that creates those two bright spots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	1878945   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	307.9 KB
ID:	1878953  
post #19451 of 36623 Old 01-07-2017, 03:57 AM

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 184
2.1 can be implemented by a firmware upgrade. That was announced. now does that mean any 2.0 or does it mean that some tvs already have the tech built in we dont know. BUT it was stated that some will be able to be firmware upgraded. Do a search like you guys say or is it a search only when some1 doesnt want to reply

Last edited by emmons; 01-07-2017 at 04:03 AM.
post #19452 of 36623 Old 01-07-2017, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by layzzzee8 View Post
When I wall mounted mine I got horrible blooming at the top and right corners as I had it on a tilt mount. When I put it flat against the wall instead of tilting downward they went away. Samsung really should have put a stiffer frame in these TVs.

Edit: Did you use the recommended 45mm bolts and spacers? Did you hand-tighten the mount? If you didn't it could be bending the frame and causing the result you have. It seems to be right where the brackets are.
Yes, I used 45mm bolts and spacers. Hand tighten. I think it could be those screws at the back were the leg goes into tv are over tighten. I am going to attach the picture I found on the web. I am thinking if I should return/replace it, I bought from amazon and I never had to return something this big. So I don't know what the return process is like.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	307.9 KB
ID:	1878961   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	216.6 KB
ID:	1878977  
post #19453 of 36623 Old 01-07-2017, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD83 View Post
Mine looks nothing like either of yours. Bars are solid black. Id try and exchange it for a different set. Even when I look from above or below the bars at different angles mine doesn't look like this. And krispykeith I have my backlight always set at 7-8 at least
Those pictures were over exposed to show problem area. Its more like this to the eye (first 3 pictures - backlight at 8). And on the 4th pictures (backlight at 20, picture overexposed a bit) you can see two bright white spots in the bottom right corner. That's what bothers me. They stay brighter than the rest of the screen. You can't really see them when room is lit, only when you're watching in a completely dark room. So I don't really know if I should return it or not.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	14.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	1878985   Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	1878993   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170107_021823.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	1879001   Click image for larger version

Name:	17.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	1879009  
post #19454 of 36623 Old 01-07-2017, 05:26 AM
Lionheart of AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyname View Post
If HDMI 2.1 cannot be achieved with a FW update, can't we just purchase a new One Connect box that will be 2.1 compatible? I thought that was exactly the point of having the 1C - upgradable in the future to accommodate new formats.

See >> THIS POST << (posted just 1 page back )

Richard
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #19455 of 36623 Old 01-07-2017, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1165 Post(s)
Liked: 1255
Quote:
Originally Posted by limitz View Post
As I increase Contrast during a Advanced Contrast White Pattern and the image begins to change to a pink tint color at around contrast 88 and above.
Does that mean that the whites and or brighter than whites are clipping?

I'm using Disney WoW calibration blu-ray.
It means that one or more of your primary colors are running out of steam at that level, so, yes, it's clipping. A proper grayscale calibration could help. What picture mode are you using?

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #19456 of 36623 Old 01-07-2017, 05:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davin81 View Post
Hey guys really got a chance today to try out all this new stuff you guys have helped with! WOW major difference, I did have a question about the "apply to all sources" Everything I set up was under standard, and I based all settings off the ratings post on here. SDR, UHD HDR, and our cable....Will it remember all these settings with apply to all sources? Or do I need to change that? Some how the eco settings got turned back on, and I don't know if this is happening Everytime I turn the TV on and off!!
If you notice when selecting Standard in picture mode, it has the Energy Star logo next to the name. So, it stands to reason that ECO mode is pretty much going to be the default setting for that mode and when the TV is turned on in Standard, it is too. You can turn off the ECO settings in Standard, but they aren't "sticky".
King Richard likes this.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
post #19457 of 36623 Old 01-07-2017, 06:30 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorzjik View Post
So I don't really know if I should return it or not.
Your pictures are terrible, can't even make out the Samsung logo. Besides the specific spots you circle I can also notice the bleed on the top of the screen as well. If you are unhappy with these things now its never going to change and you should definitely try for a return. I feel there shouldn't be a need for others to justify your discontent, you obviously see a problem and need to do whatever you have to to resolve it on your own.
King Richard likes this.

post #19458 of 36623 Old 01-07-2017, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Smile Why HDR+ Colors are bad "Compared to Dynamic"

Quote:
Congrats on your new purchase and welcome to the forums.

To answer your question, yes, that is perfectly normal.

Start by reading the FIRST POST in the thread (especially the FAQs).

Richard

Thank you Richard for your fast response

Actually I have read the first post and that's why I am concerned.

Q: What is HDR+ mode?
A: HDR+ mode is a special viewing mode released in the 1111/1112/1114 firmware updates. You can enable it by going to Picture --> Special Viewing Mode --> HDR+. When watching non-HDR content (SDR), it scales the color space to track Rec. 2020 spec to simulate higher dynamic range. When Color Space is set to Auto, it also applies a Samsung color enhancing algorithm. This algorithm also works when watching HDR content. The higher quality the source material, the better HDR+ should work.

As per my understanding, It applying color enhancing algorithm, which should produce a better picture with more vivid colors. Which is not the case, I tried HDR Content "Life of Pi" from USB, and the colors are too bad "Compared to Dynamic".

I would be thankful if you explain that to me , and if it's normal, why they made this mode and marketed it

Thank you
King Richard likes this.
post #19459 of 36623 Old 01-07-2017, 06:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
It means that one or more of your primary colors are running out of steam at that level, so, yes, it's clipping. A proper grayscale calibration could help. What picture mode are you using?
Standard w/Warm1
Movie w/Warm2
Color space on Auto

2-point and 10-point are default

How to calibrate grayscale without high-end equipment?
post #19460 of 36623 Old 01-07-2017, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostafamraafat View Post
Thank you Richard for your fast response

Actually I have read the first post and that's why I am concerned.

Q: What is HDR+ mode?
A: HDR+ mode is a special viewing mode released in the 1111/1112/1114 firmware updates. You can enable it by going to Picture --> Special Viewing Mode --> HDR+. When watching non-HDR content (SDR), it scales the color space to track Rec. 2020 spec to simulate higher dynamic range. When Color Space is set to Auto, it also applies a Samsung color enhancing algorithm. This algorithm also works when watching HDR content. The higher quality the source material, the better HDR+ should work.

As per my understanding, It applying color enhancing algorithm, which should produce a better picture with more vivid colors. Which is not the case, I tried HDR Content "Life of Pi" from USB, and the colors are too bad "Compared to Dynamic".

I would be thankful if you explain that to me , and if it's normal, why they made this mode and marketed it

Thank you
"Enhancing" doesn't always mean making "better", especially to manufacturers. It means making the TV more eye-catching. Personally, I would not apply HDR+ to HDR content as I find that eye-catching enough as it is. Also I seem to remember that "Native" is the preferred colorspace for HDR+ mode. "Auto" works well for all other modes but is flawed in HDR+. Understand that I'm coming from a technical background and that my concern is accuracy and faithfulness to the source, not "pop".

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
post #19461 of 36623 Old 01-07-2017, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by limitz View Post
Standard w/Warm1
Movie w/Warm2
Color space on Auto

2-point and 10-point are default

How to calibrate grayscale without high-end equipment?
AFAIK, Standard mode turns on Eco settings by default, so that could be a reason if you're seeing this in Standard mode.

Honestly, you can't do an accurate grayscale by eye. Believe me, I tried years ago. When I finally got a decent meter and software and went back and rechecked my results were all over the map. About all you can do by eye is try to adjust out any noticeable tint in a grayscale ramp pattern, but it won't be accurate. Two point grayscales can do this, but they can also give you the dreaded midrange color "hump" because the high and low adjustments overlap. 10-point is much better, but you then need some way of visualizing where and how much you need to make adjustments. That's where a meter and software come in.

If you include your location in your info, you might find nearby forum members who have the equipment and are willing to help.
limitz and King Richard like this.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."

Last edited by Rolls-Royce; 01-07-2017 at 07:24 AM.
post #19462 of 36623 Old 01-07-2017, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 5021 Post(s)
Liked: 7336
Quote:
If you notice when selecting Standard in picture mode, it has the Energy Star logo next to the name. So, it stands to reason that ECO mode is pretty much going to be the default setting for that mode and when the TV is turned on in Standard, it is too. You can turn off the ECO settings in Standard, but they aren't "sticky".
Quote:
AFAIK, Standard mode turns on Eco settings by default, so that could be a reason if you're seeing this in Standard mode.
On by default, agreed yes, but they should certainly be "sticky". Turn them off once (and check after each firmware upgrades) and that should be it. All you should need to do is turn them off. AFAIK the TV's "Eco" settings are global, not per-picture mode?

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #19463 of 36623 Old 01-07-2017, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe75xp View Post
Your pictures are terrible, can't even make out the Samsung logo. Besides the specific spots you circle I can also notice the bleed on the top of the screen as well. If you are unhappy with these things now its never going to change and you should definitely try for a return. I feel there shouldn't be a need for others to justify your discontent, you obviously see a problem and need to do whatever you have to to resolve it on your own.

I am just skeptical other sets will be better when my set has those same exact spots in the identical places. I like the screw theory. Going to the Samsung forums leads me to believe a lot of us purchasing recently are experiencing this to a greater degree than earlier sets had. Still, it is really the only set offering what I want at the price point and in the day it is a non-issue. I think there are a lot of us in the same boat trying to weigh our odds in a panel lottery so it helps to exchange experiences. These posts are probably annoying if you won the lottery but group therapy for those of us who did not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aggie PT likes this.
post #19464 of 36623 Old 01-07-2017, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
LOL! Thanks for posting it. We can now refer people who ask "does anyone have the change log" to your post

That's not really a bug though. A bug is something that used to work and now is broken, or was supposed to be there but was missing. Auto switching in Game mode was never promised.

Instead, it's just a new feature that we would like, over and above what the TV can do now.

EDIT: Also as has been speculated on earlier in the thread, as Rolls-Royce reminded us above - auto-switching from within Game mode might be impossible. For example if Game mode turns off the stuff that the TV needs to do its auto-switching in Movie and Standard modes at the moment.

We got HDR support added to Game mode in September. There have been eight firmwares since then. If it was just an oversight, or easy to do, I would have thought it would have been added in one of those either releases?
That is so depressing about game mode. It's been my suspicion that it's not a bug as well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
post #19465 of 36623 Old 01-07-2017, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
On by default, agreed yes, but they should certainly be "sticky". Turn them off once (and check after each firmware upgrades) and that should be it. All you should need to do is turn them off. AFAIK the TV's "Eco" settings are global, not per-picture mode?
They are a global setting in general but Ive found that a hard reset does make them become enabled again when going back to Standard modes, both regular and PC Mode Standard. I did find just yesterday that my cal-night/day mode still saved after coming out of the service menu without having a Saved setting set inside the menu but still had Movie and Standard modes reset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispykeith View Post
I am just skeptical other sets will be better when my set has those same exact spots in the identical places. I like the screw theory. Going to the Samsung forums leads me to believe a lot of us purchasing recently are experiencing this to a greater degree than earlier sets had. Still, it is really the only set offering what I want at the price point and in the day it is a non-issue. I think there are a lot of us in the same boat trying to weigh our odds in a panel lottery so it helps to exchange experiences. These posts are probably annoying if you won the lottery but group therapy for those of us who did not.
I did win the lottery and have nothing to complain about with my screen. I personally wouldn't be able to live with the screen you have. Good luck with whatever you decide.

post #19466 of 36623 Old 01-07-2017, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
One would think so, but the energy saving logo on Standard may mean Eco settings are not permanently defeatable in that mode. Note that this pure conjecture on my part based on what the OP posted. I'll check on our TV once the wife gets up (the set is in our bedroom, and Saturdays are the only day of the week she gets to sleep in).

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
post #19467 of 36623 Old 01-07-2017, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalav View Post
For any FiOS customers, particularly layzzzee8, 3nsdan2, and kevdood83, whose recent picture-quality posts I've read with great interest:

I've had the 55" KS8000 since Black Friday and my return window is about to close. Similar to what some of you have said, many inputs have been fine, such as Bluray, Amazon Prime, and PS4 Pro. In fact those sources seem to have perfect motion handling. But FiOS has been a nightmare. Some programming isn't too bad, but others suffer from terrible motion problems. Varies from channel to channel and within a channel. The issue that's making me consider returning the set is where different parts of the picture appear to bounce around for lack of a better word (definitely exacerbated by programs/movies filmed with hand-helds). I watched I Am Legend on HBO. Just awful.....faces, walls, anything...seemed to have a mind of their own. Periodically shifting left to right, and up and down, a few lines of pixels at a time like a wave running through parts of the picture. No stability. As an example, in one scene a seated character's leg appeared to bounce upward slightly.

Distressingly, I have a Samsung HD model from 3-4 years ago that shows NO sign of this motion problem when I tested the exact same program, from the SAME DVR, that all my TVs access.

I have FiOS Quantum (installed nearly 10 years ago, so I'm sure I have the old ONT, but thinking that's not the issue given the other TV doesn't have the motion issues).

Curious if any of you have seen similar issues. I know there's probably no magic bullet, but any suggestions? I've tried the following with only marginal results: changed box output between 1080i and 1080p. Tested multiple motion settings on the TV, including clear motion on/off, and well as the some of the other expert settings like Digital Clean View. Would hate to return it given the performance with other sources. Thanks!
I have Cox cable and over the air and have the same issues. I've tried every setting and have it watchable on most programing but the most important thing which is football looks bad. I get blurring and noise on camera pans, even noticed it watching shows like the price is right.
I know everyone say's to turn off the motion and judder settings but my tv is unwatchable with these off. The picture is very nice but not sure i can live with these issues. I have till Thursday to return?
post #19468 of 36623 Old 01-07-2017, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Ok so before anyone jumps down my throat about re-reading 600'pages, I tried and couldn't find the answer...

Also I apologize in advance since my technical understanding is far less than many here...

Anywho;

What is the panel "lottery" and how do I find out if I won or not with my new Samsung 55KS8000?
post #19469 of 36623 Old 01-07-2017, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2374 Post(s)
Liked: 1693
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevdood83 View Post
Ok so before anyone jumps down my throat about re-reading 600'pages, I tried and couldn't find the answer...

Also I apologize in advance since my technical understanding is far less than many here...

Anywho;

What is the panel "lottery" and how do I find out if I won or not with my new Samsung 55KS8000?
The panel "lottery" simply means that there are manufacturing variations among the sets.

If you like what you see on your screen, you've won.

It's a bit more than that. The LCD panels aren't all made in the same factory. (The 60" panels, for example, are all made by Sharp.) Some claim that some are intrinsically better than others. Others say that the variation between TVs is more important than the variation between factories. I suggest some skepticism in dealing with the most strongly expressed opinions.
post #19470 of 36623 Old 01-07-2017, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
I have Cox cable and over the air and have the same issues. I've tried every setting and have it watchable on most programing but the most important thing which is football looks bad. I get blurring and noise on camera pans, even noticed it watching shows like the price is right.
I know everyone say's to turn off the motion and judder settings but my tv is unwatchable with these off. The picture is very nice but not sure i can live with these issues. I have till Thursday to return?
I have Fios and I too get blocky-ness and annoying digital noise. Especially on quick pans and scene changes. The best results for me have come from going into my Fios STB (not the TV) and setting the output signal to 1080i and sharpness to low. Then go into your Samsung settings make sure sharpness is set 0-20, and set DCV on auto, AMP set to custom (blur 8, judder 4) and film mode set to auto1, dynamic contrast off, color tone warm1. Brightness and stuff is room dependent, not sure how bright your room is.

When I choose 720p on my Fios STB as output I get this weird bouncing or jumping by 1-2 pixels in certain parts of the screen. Almost like certain pixels are tweaking out for some reason and jumping up and down by a pixel. It only happens on certain parts of the screen and it's usually on the edge of text boxes or horizontallay running fine lines. This did NOT happen on my 7 year old LG 47 inch LCD in any output mode or on any channel. For some reason this Samsung tweaks out on certain spots when viewing certain stations in 720p. Cartoon Network is a bad one for me in 720p.

With other input sources (streaming, Bluray, PS4) I turn off all or most of that processing crap and the image is perfect and stable, and looks awesome. For those sources I use pretty much the exact setting recommended on the first page of this thread.

Try the 1080i and settings I mentioned, it may not be optimal for football but it stopped the pixel tweaking/jumping otherwise, for me anyways.

For football I put the Fios on 720p since the image does not happen to tweak on the sports channels I view at least, I can use "sports mode" in 720p. Not because I think sports mode looks way better, but it makes the screen all bright and flashy and impresses people. I use default sports mode except I turn off dynamic contrast because if I didn't the grass on the field looked neon and it made my eyes bleed. I made some other less eye bleeding tweaks but otherwise I use mostly default sports mode and that is the only time I use 720p.

Once I'm done with sports I have to turn that mode off and go back to 1080i.

Lastly... I'm not sure if I'm noticing more digital noise and blocky-news in general merely because I went from a 47 inch TV to 55 inch one but I'm sitting the same distance away. I notice more digital noise just because it's bigger.

Last edited by kevdood83; 01-07-2017 at 10:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
denon s740h , extra , hdmi input , KS8000/KS8500 , no picture , one connect fail , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page