Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 68 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 180067Likes

post #2011 of 36874 Old 06-17-2016, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminader View Post
Very helpful, thanks!

Has anyone found a way to setup this Smart TV so that the apps do not become unable to launch and the self-diagnostic option is always available? I want to make sure I don't have a defective set.
Yes, my netflix froze an hour ago when it would not load. That tip of holding the return button down worked. Did not have to get up and reboot the tv. Netflix loaded right away upon re-entering the app . . . thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2012 of 36874 Old 06-17-2016, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have a KS8000 and love it, but after reading some things about the LG OLED and HDR not working through HDMI, etc, I need confirmation on the following.

1) Are these amazon cables ok for my Samsung K8500 4k Blu-ray player? I've read that HDMI 2.0a is needed for HDR, but only found HDMI 2.0 cables. I read somewhere that they were the same thing, but wanted confirmation.
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...hdmi+2.0+cable
2) Are all HDMI ports capable of HDMI? FYI, I have my 4k Blu-ray player setup via HDMI4.

thanks.
post #2013 of 36874 Old 06-17-2016, 05:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian16 View Post
All 2015 js series have no problem with 4k 60hz 4:4:4 chroma in pc mode and 4k 60hz 4:2:2 chroma in game mode. I use js9000 48 inch 2015 model as a pc monitor and have no problems with game mode or pc mode, all PC games play at 60hz in game mode/pc mode, no lag, no stutter/flicker. I hope this can be fixed with new firmware update.
So you have the ks as well? Are you noticing the issues about pc gaming in 4K while in gaming mode too? My main concern is 4K gaming with the new consoles. I will probably pass on the Neo since I have a ps4 but I will be getting the Scorpio. Honestly I don't even care about game mode I just want 4K 60hz in any mode. Do you still have issue when pc gaming other modes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2014 of 36874 Old 06-17-2016, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
See my post #1995. Calibration is easy and is somewhat specific to your tastes and the TV itself out of the box.

The rtings website I referenced has the settings listed. You can take those as-is for Movie mode and be quite pleased with them, or not. I found them to be very nice in a low lit room but found them to be too dark and vague looking in a well lit room. You need to see what works best for you.
I too tried the rtings website settings. I also found them to be blah (of course as mentioned, settings are a personal thing). Takes all the snap and wow out of a movie. So far the default settings with a little tweaking depending on the movie and the room lighting give this tv quite a dazzling picture! I actually like the standard pic setting over the dynamic, but I still use dynamic when demo'ing the tv to friends.

I was just watching the original jurassic park in just HD (a 23 year old movie) and the pic was quite impressive even with some 3pm daylight filtering into my living room through the light filtering blinds.

Last edited by Expidia; 06-18-2016 at 05:04 AM.
post #2015 of 36874 Old 06-17-2016, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2speed125 View Post
Found a picture of a KS8000 mounted with the spacers. That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again for your input..
I searched Google when mounting my TV because those spacers are way too long. Found some folks saying they cut them to fit, so I cut 3/8" off each spacer. That gave the bottom about 1/8" clearance from the Back of the TV and plenty more at the top because (of course) it's thinner up there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	1503105  
post #2016 of 36874 Old 06-17-2016, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by modthispny View Post
I have a KS8000 and love it, but after reading some things about the LG OLED and HDR not working through HDMI, etc, I need confirmation on the following.

1) Are these amazon cables ok for my Samsung K8500 4k Blu-ray player? I've read that HDMI 2.0a is needed for HDR, but only found HDMI 2.0 cables. I read somewhere that they were the same thing, but wanted confirmation.
2) Are all HDMI ports capable of HDMI? FYI, I have my 4k Blu-ray player setup via HDMI4.

thanks.
HDMI 2.0a does not require new cables. Any "high speed" or "HDMI 2.0" cables that can do [email protected] will transmit HDR just fine. Any HDMI ports on the OneConnet box are good. HDMI4 has the ARC, which is usually used for AVR (receiver). If you don't have an AVR, then you can certainly use it for the UHD Blu-ray player.
post #2017 of 36874 Old 06-17-2016, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2128 Post(s)
Liked: 802
Was just at my Costco (not to exchange tv yet but to check out if they got any new ones with newer serial numbers). They had about 10-12 of the 65 800D, but half were AA02 panels vs. FA01.

When I go to exchange mine I might go with AA02 this time. The others I had issues with banding and dead pixels were FA01...

Thoughts on AA02 panels?
post #2018 of 36874 Old 06-17-2016, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian16 View Post
All 2015 js series have no problem with 4k 60hz 4:4:4 chroma in pc mode and 4k 60hz 4:2:2 chroma in game mode. I use js9000 48 inch 2015 model as a pc monitor and have no problems with game mode or pc mode, all PC games play at 60hz in game mode/pc mode, no lag, no stutter/flicker. I hope this can be fixed with new firmware update.
The JS series has never been reported to have the issue. It's with the KS8000 and KS8500. I suppose gamers can always grab the JS series up!

Last edited by betterdavid; 06-17-2016 at 07:50 PM.
post #2019 of 36874 Old 06-17-2016, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkachin View Post
There has been a lot discussion here regarding 4k pc gaming issues with this tv. I honestly don’t think there will be any problems with this TV and Neo or even Scorpio. I am no techie, but think about it. We have a premier 2016 top of the line tv. Neo is slated for this year and Scorpio for next. If these tvs aren’t going to run these consoles perfectly, nothing will. If Scorpio comes out, and only 2017 top of the line tvs are totally compatible with it, the console is dead in the water. The specs on KS8000 tv won’t be mainstream on 4k tvs for years. So our tv won’t work perfectly, but a 2017 or 2018 Vizio M will? To follow this logic, even Sony’s own current line would not work well. Nobody’s going to go out and blowing a grand on a TV just to play in 4k, especially if they bought a KS or JS. Might as well buy a gaming PC rig. These systems should be able to work with any 4k TV, even the 400$ Vizio 4k D40u-D1. These consoles will have to be 4k tv “backwards compatible” if you will. If not, Sony and Microsoft are in for a real headache.

Am I wrong with this line of thinking?
There isn't a question of whether or not there are problems with game mode 4K 60hz - there ARE problems. You can choose to believe what you want, but I did way too much testing on this thing (both the 8000 and 8500). I did not want to part with the set because it is AMAZING other than that. Now, if you are satisfied with the 34ms input lag of PC mode, then you are golden and this set will be great for you.

Samsung support told me in two different conversations that this TV isn't equipped to support 4K 60hz from a PC without issues. They told me to use PC mode. If that is somehow true, then I don't see how the TV will magically know that it is connected to a game console, but what do I know.

If you are holding onto this TV hoping that it gets an update of some sort before the new consoles launch, then you are a bigger gambler than me.

Also - The price of a TV has rarely been in lock-step with gaming performance. In fact, it is frequently the opposite.
post #2020 of 36874 Old 06-17-2016, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
i highly recommend the AVSHD709 DVD and approach. I used it on my 65KS8000 for the Standard Mode overall (my primary mode) and then with just color and tint on Dynamic, Natural and Movie. For Movie, I used what was suggested by this review site and only had minor changes.
So you have to burn a disc to do it this way?
Is there anything on YouTube that can be used?
post #2021 of 36874 Old 06-17-2016, 09:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 908 Post(s)
Liked: 1658
Sorry to be a bit sarcastic, but .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffie1985 View Post
I'm on the hunt for good settings as well. Anyone have any they like to share??
Quote:
Originally Posted by myram View Post
So you have to burn a disc to do it this way?
Is there anything on YouTube that can be used?
... there is this search engine called Google that can answer your question. I will admit, I went straight to burn a DVD and didn't think about using YouTube. I'm not sure if it matters, but does sound easier than burning a disc.
Larry Rosenberg likes this.
post #2022 of 36874 Old 06-17-2016, 09:20 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Been playing with my new TV a bit more, and I'm definitely enjoying the set. I switched it to Movie mode as default so that I could get HDR--Marco Polo definitely looks different now with HDR enabled! I've also been catching up on Daredevil, which is now a totally different experience in 4k.

I've tried looking through all the menu items for "PC mode" but can't find it... do you guys mean something else, or am I missing an option? I only see "dynamic", "standard", "natural", and "movie" options. By the way, does anyone use the dynamic and natural settings, and if so, for what content? To me dynamic looks too bright, while natural looks over sharpened, but that's just my opinion.

Also, how do you know if you're running 4:4:4 vs. 4:2:2 or some other mode?
post #2023 of 36874 Old 06-17-2016, 09:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2128 Post(s)
Liked: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbfreek View Post
Been playing with my new TV a bit more, and I'm definitely enjoying the set. I switched it to Movie mode as default so that I could get HDR--Marco Polo definitely looks different now with HDR enabled! I've also been catching up on Daredevil, which is now a totally different experience in 4k.

I've tried looking through all the menu items for "PC mode" but can't find it... do you guys mean something else, or am I missing an option? I only see "dynamic", "standard", "natural", and "movie" options. By the way, does anyone use the dynamic and natural settings, and if so, for what content? To me dynamic looks too bright, while natural looks over sharpened, but that's just my opinion.

You have to manually re-enter the input name to "PC"
post #2024 of 36874 Old 06-17-2016, 10:06 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Just ordered my UN65KS8000FXZA today from Samsung.com only to get an email this evening that it is back ordered . A little bummed since it said on the website it would ship in 1-3 days. I emailed customer service to see how long it will be back ordered for. Hopefully it won't be too long or I might cancel it and order form somewhere else.
post #2025 of 36874 Old 06-17-2016, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 81
So the included remote is an abomination. Way too small, flat buttons, and too few buttons. Any recommendations for a better one that works with all of the TV's functions?
post #2026 of 36874 Old 06-17-2016, 11:53 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkachin View Post
So you have the ks as well? Are you noticing the issues about pc gaming in 4K while in gaming mode too? My main concern is 4K gaming with the new consoles. I will probably pass on the Neo since I have a ps4 but I will be getting the Scorpio. Honestly I don't even care about game mode I just want 4K 60hz in any mode. Do you still have issue when pc gaming other modes?
I wanted the 65 ks for my couch pc gaming and movies, currently have the 48 js 9000 2015(pc monitor desk use). It's very strange that last years models JS,JU series have no problems playing pc games at 4k 60hz on both pc and game mode. The game mode is important because the input lag is much lower around 20ms.
post #2027 of 36874 Old 06-18-2016, 12:09 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
exchanged by set for another KS800D at costco. FA01 panel. Hopefully my screen blink issues are over. I switched out the hdmi cables for the xbox and direct tv box just in case, and even put it on a different hdmi then the last tv. Samsung kept wanting me to reset the tv, which did absolutely nothing.

I'm still a bit concerned about the 4k 60z issues, but I'm hoping there is a fix. I would doubt that the scorpio wouldn't work with this tv. who knows at this point. The firmware on this tv seems to be more stable than the vizios.

The exchange at costco was super easy, and I'm glad i bought it there, since in 15 days i hadn't made up my mind about the issues i was having. they didn't have any other tvs that met my needs as a gamer, and at this price there really is only a few stellar option, so I decided to roll the dice again.

Fingers crossed the bad juju is behind me.
post #2028 of 36874 Old 06-18-2016, 12:59 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I've had this TV a few days now but actually haven't had a ton of time to watch it. I will try to calibrate it this weekend according to some of the methods I saw mentioned on here. I noticed some posts about people exchanging it because of excessive light bleed or vertical banding or dead pixels. What is the best way to check for all of that? Or should I even bother, since it seems to look good to me now? Maybe I don't want to check for dead pixels because if I find one, it won't warrant a return but will probably bother me forever because I know it's there even though I can't see it. But should I check for anything else?
CosmoGeek and Rfitz89 like this.
post #2029 of 36874 Old 06-18-2016, 01:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbfreek View Post

You have to manually re-enter the input name to "PC"
This is wrong. You need to highlight your source, push up, edit, then select PC. It doesn't matter what you name the input. You need to change the device type to PC. Changing the name to PC is what you needed to do on older model Samsung sets.
post #2030 of 36874 Old 06-18-2016, 01:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by family_guy View Post
So the included remote is an abomination. Way too small, flat buttons, and too few buttons. Any recommendations for a better one that works with all of the TV's functions?
Any Harmony Remote.
post #2031 of 36874 Old 06-18-2016, 04:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
Was just at my Costco (not to exchange tv yet but to check out if they got any new ones with newer serial numbers). They had about 10-12 of the 65 800D, but half were AA02 panels vs. FA01.

When I go to exchange mine I might go with AA02 this time. The others I had issues with banding and dead pixels were FA01...

Thoughts on AA02 panels?
I have an AA02 panel which I bought at best buy last week with no panel issues that I've have noticed so far.
post #2032 of 36874 Old 06-18-2016, 04:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by layzzzee8 View Post
Any Harmony Remote.
My son has the harmony one past few years. Its discontinued. But still available was their top of the line until it was replaced by another model.

I have 2 harmony 650 for several years now. I've also owned several of their more expensive models. but the 650's are amazing for $59 (amazon). I've even seen them as low as $39. also discontinued. two aa batteries seem to last forever. I use two rechargeable aa's and they last about 4-6 months. Its IR. Its also discontinued but still readily available. easy setup by plugging in each device into their setup website on myharmony.com

If you get one from amazon and don't like it just return it. I just bought one for my daughter who I sold my 2 year old 65 inch panny to for the 65 inch 8500.
post #2033 of 36874 Old 06-18-2016, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I found the YouTube videos for brightness, contrast, color, and tint............so I was able to adjust all those.
I found my old Avia DVD from like 10 years ago, so I had the blue filter to use.

I'm assuming backlight is a personal thing based on the brightness of the room? It came set at 20, so I lowered it to 15 for now.
post #2034 of 36874 Old 06-18-2016, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myram View Post
I found the YouTube videos for brightness, contrast, color, and tint............so I was able to adjust all those.
I found my old Avia DVD from like 10 years ago, so I had the blue filter to use.

I'm assuming backlight is a personal thing based on the brightness of the room? It came set at 20, so I lowered it to 15 for now.
If it came set to 20 then you are watching in Dynamic mode which is really only for display at the store. Try setting things in movie mode.
post #2035 of 36874 Old 06-18-2016, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expidia View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by layzzzee8 View Post
Any Harmony Remote.
My son has the harmony one past few years. Its discontinued. But still available was their top of the line until it was replaced by another model.

I have 2 harmony 650 for several years now. I've also owned several of their more expensive models. but the 650's are amazing for $59 (amazon). I've even seen them as low as $39. also discontinued. two aa batteries seem to last forever. I use two rechargeable aa's and they last about 4-6 months. Its IR. Its also discontinued but still readily available. easy setup by plugging in each device into their setup website on myharmony.com

If you get one from amazon and don't like it just return it. I just bought one for my daughter who I sold my 2 year old 65 inch panny to for the 65 inch 8500.
I love my Harmony One. Unfortunately it is starting to go on me. I have a brand new 650 waiting as a back up. I wish I could afford the elite but it's too pricey. I'm not sure if Logitech is still doing it but they used to give you a 50% coupon if you called to troubleshoot a remote out of warranty. Thats how I got my harmony one. But even the elite at 50% off is too much.
post #2036 of 36874 Old 06-18-2016, 07:29 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expidia View Post
Yes, my netflix froze an hour ago when it would not load. That tip of holding the return button down worked. Did not have to get up and reboot the tv. Netflix loaded right away upon re-entering the app . . . thx
This is a great tip that I discovered on my own the night I got the set. One caveat is that it doesn't work for all apps. Vevo for example, it does not work on (being updated) and as such your only option is to his the home button and go back to previous source.

Samsung UN65KS8000F
Pioneer BDP-51FD
Yamaha Aventage RX-A2050
Xfinity X1
Playstation 4 Pro
post #2037 of 36874 Old 06-18-2016, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdavid View Post
There isn't a question of whether or not there are problems with game mode 4K 60hz - there ARE problems. You can choose to believe what you want, but I did way too much testing on this thing (both the 8000 and 8500). I did not want to part with the set because it is AMAZING other than that. Now, if you are satisfied with the 34ms input lag of PC mode, then you are golden and this set will be great for you.

Samsung support told me in two different conversations that this TV isn't equipped to support 4K 60hz from a PC without issues. They told me to use PC mode. If that is somehow true, then I don't see how the TV will magically know that it is connected to a game console, but what do I know.

If you are holding onto this TV hoping that it gets an update of some sort before the new consoles launch, then you are a bigger gambler than me.

Also - The price of a TV has rarely been in lock-step with gaming performance. In fact, it is frequently the opposite.
Pm'ed you regarding this issue. I am really hoping you can help me out.
post #2038 of 36874 Old 06-18-2016, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by modthispny View Post

thanks.
1. Almost all of my HDMI cables by now are "Amazon Basic," including those for my K8500 (two, video to the TV, audio to my Denon). HDMI 2.0a is an modification of the ports, not the cable, to accommodate HDR. I got sticker shock at BB and quickly realized that HDMI cables there have become high profit items for them ... very high. But I must disclose that I am also adverse to "monster cable," or any so-called "premium quality" cable or wires at sky high prices and from which over the years, at least on my systems, I have never heard or seen an improvement over less expensive solutions.

2. All of the KS8000 ports are HDMI2.0a and will handle 4K/HDR, whatever. HDMI 4 is the ARC (audio return channel) which allows you to control the volume of a connected AVR via the TV, and vice versa.

-----
2016 Samsung UN65KS9800, UN55KS8500, UN49KS8000
2016 Samsung K8500 UHD BD Player x 2
2016 Samsung HW-K550/SWA-8000S 5.1
2016 Pioneer SC-LX701- AudioSource AMP100VS Atmos/DTS:X 7.1.4
post #2039 of 36874 Old 06-18-2016, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Can anyone confirm that the optical audio out passes Dolby Digital 5.1 if the source originates from HDMI? In previous years this was an issue.

Thanks.
post #2040 of 36874 Old 06-18-2016, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by family_guy View Post
The included remote has its problems but It's faster and easier than the Logitech remote I was using, while still controlling all my devices. If you'd like to try an iOS app, try this remote. It helps fill in some features lacking on Samsung's remote-

myTifi remote for Samsung TV by iMKapps
https://appsto.re/us/XVWvA.i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
denon s740h , extra , hdmi input , KS8000/KS8500 , no picture , one connect fail , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page