Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 695 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 180258Likes

post #20821 of 37091 Old 01-23-2017, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximuslcd View Post
I'll check mine tonight and see what its putting out. I don't stream alot from youtube but the 4k vidoes I have watched were amazing so I assume they were 4k? is there a way to actually see what you are getting?
Yes, when you are in the youtube app, play a video then go to options (for the app) and then to 'geek info' or something like that. It will show the current streaming rate and resolution, etc. It is definitely running mine at HD, not 4k. Same video run through the Browser app streams correctly at 4k. I saw several other people complaining about this too, and saying they needed to use the browser app to see 4k youtube content. But I'm not sure if this was before the youtube app update (which claims to have added 4k support).

It appears the youtube app does not support 4k at the moment tho
maximuslcd likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20822 of 37091 Old 01-23-2017, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahduke View Post
Thank you very much, I'm a little sad that only 5.1 audio will pass through but at least it's not 2 channel stereo!
Unfortunately TV will switch to PCM 2 channels whenever you're going from a DD source to a DTS one (or the other way around) forcing you to change it manually in the Sound menu.
CarpeNoctem likes this.

Samsung UN55KS8000 || Sony BDVE-980W || PS4 Pro
post #20823 of 37091 Old 01-23-2017, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked: 1684
Quote:
Originally Posted by mntwister View Post
Can anyone tell me if there is a way to confirm if you are watching a movie or video with HDR activated? Usually on televisions I have owned in the past, there was always an INFO button that showed exactly what the signal is you are watching. Is there something like this on the KS-8000 60 inch model.
Search this forum. There are numerous opinions already shared.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20824 of 37091 Old 01-23-2017, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked: 1684
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTV Programmer View Post
Hi folks, this is the screen that briefly greets me whenever I turn on my 55KS8500. It appears for about 2 seconds and goes away. Other than this the set seems to be working just fine. Has anyone else seen this issue and should I be concerned?
This just started with my set after the last firmware. Only slightly annoying.
post #20825 of 37091 Old 01-23-2017, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
I'm back using my 6 yr old 1080P Vizio for now. No motion issues or judder on same video sources so i know it was the Samsung. Also had the random shut downs and poor looking hdr streaming and apps were starting to lock up.

I'm waiting till spring and see what the reviews are on the new TCL P series sets that are coming out

I looks like some of these panels are hit or miss. As I mentioned my friend also bought one from the same store from the same batch and his is fine!
I know some are putting the blame on the users and content and not the tv's, i don't buy that. If you have a good set then enjoy it but don't tell us there's no problems. If you had a bad set you wouldn't feel the same. Mine was an AA01 panel.
Right on. I spent a good bit of time actually watching tv last night (rather than critiquing the picture and trying to dial it in). There were only a few times where I found any blur distracting, and it was when large objects were moving out of the frame (i.e. - full frames of cars in The Grand Tour). So maybe it's down to size and I'm acclimating?

You going back to the older Vizio set happily makes me wonder if something about the older lcd tvs handled motion better.

Anyone want to advise me on if I could contact Samsung to have the set assessed by a tech and see if there is something about the set that would be covered under warranty? I've got no experience with using television warranties or Samsung customer service. Is this even worth my time to attempt?
post #20826 of 37091 Old 01-23-2017, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtechno View Post
Yes, when you are in the youtube app, play a video then go to options (for the app) and then to 'geek info' or something like that. It will show the current streaming rate and resolution, etc. It is definitely running mine at HD, not 4k. Same video run through the Browser app streams correctly at 4k. I saw several other people complaining about this too, and saying they needed to use the browser app to see 4k youtube content. But I'm not sure if this was before the youtube app update (which claims to have added 4k support).

Thanks! I'll try this tonight. I have never used the browser on the TV but I'll have a go at it and check the numbers. so open browser and then go to you tube, check!

I work to live and live for the beach.
Amateur HT enthusiast.
Samsung 65KS8500/Onkyo 656 AVR, Dolby 5.1.2 Atmos, SVS primes,
Sharp Quatron 3D 60" Onkyo 705 Bonus room
Sharp Quatron 60" Bedroom
post #20827 of 37091 Old 01-23-2017, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52LG60FTW View Post
Have you tried each HDMI input as well as different HDMI cables?
Well the defect is still there on the tv antenna input so i would'nt think its the HDMI Cables
post #20828 of 37091 Old 01-23-2017, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 533
[quote=Javelin;50131617][QUOTE=t-rey

What did you end up with? I've toyed with the idea of returning, but would incur some costs associated with it since I bought it from a retailer on ebay (stupid ebay coupon making the deal too sweet to pass up...)

I contacted the store through ebay and voiced my concerns. Their advice was to call samsung if I thought it was defective, and that's it. Looks like they'd screw me out of as much cash as they could on a return based on that reply...

Would poor motion handling be something to address with the warranty? Especially for a set that is supposed to be above average at gaming and motion handling?

I'm back using my 6 yr old 1080P Vizio for now. No motion issues or judder on same video sources so i know it was the Samsung. Also had the random shut downs and poor looking hdr streaming and apps were starting to lock up.

I'm waiting till spring and see what the reviews are on the new TCL P series sets that are coming out

So why is it that some folks praise the motion handling, while others struggle to get it dialed in? Is there really that much variance between tvs? I've got the FA01 panel btw.

I looks like some of these panels are hit or miss. As I mentioned my friend also bought one from the same store from the same batch and his is fine!
I know some are putting the blame on the users and content and not the tv's, i don't buy that. If you have a good set then enjoy it but don't tell us there's no problems. If you had a bad set you wouldn't feel the same. Mine was an AA01 panel.[/quote]

I have an AA01 panel too. My personal opinion about the motion handling is, it is optional, and if you don't like it, turn it OFF, and it will just act like your Vizio 1080P TV. I mostly leave it at Custom, Blur 10, Judder 3, but on some movies when the smooth motion bothers me, I will turn it off.
post #20829 of 37091 Old 01-23-2017, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 49
can someone give me an Overview of the differences between HDMI inputs on the one connect box ? The Manual is scant on details, is only the 1st input 2.2 compliant ? What is the ARC input about? is there a recommended order to connect i have an apple tv, roku 4 and Blu ray currently connected
post #20830 of 37091 Old 01-23-2017, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTV Programmer View Post
Hi folks, this is the screen that briefly greets me whenever I turn on my 55KS8500. It appears for about 2 seconds and goes away. Other than this the set seems to be working just fine. Has anyone else seen this issue and should I be concerned?
I have never seen it on my TV. Does it happen from day 1 or after a firmware update? Try unplug the TV for a few minutes to see if it fixes it. If not, I will exchange it as it is not a normal behavior.
post #20831 of 37091 Old 01-23-2017, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide_NVN View Post
Javan did this get worse over time? I've had mine for around 5-6 weeks now and thus far it has done it once.

My settings are same as yours. Thanks
It didn't necessarily get any worse...but it hasn't gotten any better. Just when I think it's never going to happen ever again - it will happen the next day or so.

And this happened when I had no receiver and when I had a receiver, so it has nothing to do with CEC or anything like that. I've also had it happen and looked directly at the remote control in front of me on the table so unless a really heavy invisible fly hit it...the power button was not pressed.

I am waiting on a phone call from Samsung to tell me when they can come out this week. I will keep you posted!
post #20832 of 37091 Old 01-23-2017, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 6
If your devices are connected to an AVR rather than the TV directly, will the TV still recognize each device as different and save different settings? I have My Xbox in game mode and want to make sure I can maintain that hooked up to the AVR but not use game mode settings for the other devices (without having to manually change it each time)
post #20833 of 37091 Old 01-23-2017, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMZ_P View Post
It can only passthrough Bitsream DD and DTS 5.1 from either Live TV, apps or HDMI sources.
You can use optical or HDMI ARC and get the same results.
That's slightly annoying, wonder if this will be addressed in a firmware update....
post #20834 of 37091 Old 01-23-2017, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 90
[quote=acefr;50139049]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelin View Post

I have an AA01 panel too. My personal opinion about the motion handling is, it is optional, and if you don't like it, turn it OFF, and it will just act like your Vizio 1080P TV. I mostly leave it at Custom, Blur 10, Judder 3, but on some movies when the smooth motion bothers me, I will turn it off.
That's the problem. With it turned off it's like watching robots, almost freezing at times. With it on i got real bad ghosting and a lot of noise(snow) on panning shots. I had the set for three weeks and it seemed to get worse with time?

My old Vizio doesn't act like that, nor does my old sammy plasma.
post #20835 of 37091 Old 01-23-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardley View Post
If your devices are connected to an AVR rather than the TV directly, will the TV still recognize each device as different and save different settings? I have My Xbox in game mode and want to make sure I can maintain that hooked up to the AVR but not use game mode settings for the other devices (without having to manually change it each time)
I would say no. The TV will take your AVR (and everything connected to it) as one input, thus one Picture mode would be applied to all the devices connected through your AVR.
My suggestion is to use an AVR with 2 HDMI outputs. That way you can have 1 HDMI input for general viewing and 1 HDMI input for Games.
I don't know if CEC would work with the TV's remote with your devices through the AVR

post #20836 of 37091 Old 01-23-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
That's slightly annoying, wonder if this will be addressed in a firmware update....
No. There isn't sufficient bandwidth. It will probably be possible with HDMI 2.1
King Richard likes this.

post #20837 of 37091 Old 01-23-2017, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by javan robinson View Post
It didn't necessarily get any worse...but it hasn't gotten any better. Just when I think it's never going to happen ever again - it will happen the next day or so.
Hey thanks for that. Having only seen it once in the first month or so of use I'm inclined to do nothing right now. If I see it happen again any time in the next couple weeks I may have to do yet another exchange while I still can. Would be a shame. The PQ on this particular set is pretty good and I've had problems in that regard with several previous ones.

Good luck.
post #20838 of 37091 Old 01-23-2017, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by acefr View Post
I have never seen it on my TV. Does it happen from day 1 or after a firmware update? Try unplug the TV for a few minutes to see if it fixes it. If not, I will exchange it as it is not a normal behavior.
I thought it was related to the USB devices I had connected to the One Connect, but even after having them unplugged the behavior persists. I'll try the unplugging thing and report back.
post #20839 of 37091 Old 01-23-2017, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

HDMI-CEC ARC seems to be partially fixed in firmware 1162. I said partially because while the HDMI-CEC link still breaks from time to time, you can now re-establish the HDMI-CEC link when you turn on a device connected directly to OCB. In my case, I have a streaming box connected to HDMI 1 on the OCB, and when I turn it on, the TV will automatically establish the HDMI-CEC link to my AVR (Onkyo TX-NR646), and enable the ARC. Then I can switch to other sources like YouTube, Live TV, or others to continue to have ARC.

In older firmware, I can just change the TV source to Live TV, and the ARC will enable. It no longer works that way, and it has to be a device connected to the OCB. Changing the TV Sound source from TV Speakers to Receiver still does not work. It is not ideal, but at least I no longer need to pull the TV power cord to get ARC to work.
post #20840 of 37091 Old 01-23-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
No. There isn't sufficient bandwidth. It will probably be possible with HDMI 2.1
Pardon my ignorance but if you can offer a little clarification for my own edification I would appreciate it. If a receiver can produce 7.2 DTS and even Dolby Atmos surround sound through HDMI why would bandwidth be a limitation?
post #20841 of 37091 Old 01-23-2017, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

[quote=Javelin;50139905]
Quote:

That's the problem. With it turned off it's like watching robots, almost freezing at times. With it on i got real bad ghosting and a lot of noise(snow) on panning shots. I had the set for three weeks and it seemed to get worse with time?

My old Vizio doesn't act like that, nor does my old sammy plasma.
Everyone tolerance for motion is different. If it bothers you, just return this TV and get a Sony, LG, or Vizio. They have other issues, but the motion handling will be better. No TV is perfect, you just choose the ones that bother you the least.
jeep05, maximuslcd and Terminader like this.
post #20842 of 37091 Old 01-23-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Pardon my ignorance but if you can offer a little clarification for my own edification I would appreciate it. If a receiver can produce 7.2 DTS and even Dolby Atmos surround sound through HDMI why would bandwidth be a limitation?
Ha sorry about that. I'm no expert in the subject but I'll try to explain.
Remember that you're signal path is going from your device, a UHD player from example, through the TV for a pass through your receiver.
While technically your source and receiver support 7.1, your TV in the middle doesn't.
It doesn't because the bandwidth required to pass those 8 channels is extremely high and. HDMI 2.0 ARC does not support such high bandwidth.
HDMI 2.1 ARC (eARC) will.
King Richard and mrtickleuk like this.

Last edited by DMZ_P; 01-23-2017 at 11:44 AM.
post #20843 of 37091 Old 01-23-2017, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
im enjoying the tv now.

i only touch the remote to switch from normal or dynamic in PC mode. Normal for desktop, Dynamic for games.

Civ 6, Anno series, ETS 2, and heaps more games look so good. The big screen and resolution make for much more enjoyable experience.

Can't wait for windows to support HDR natively.
post #20844 of 37091 Old 01-23-2017, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rey View Post
Spoiler!
Care to share your AMP settings?
I'm not sure, but I believe my AMP settings are the movie modes defaults?

Blur Reduction 10
Judder Reduction 0
LED Clear Motion Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by zags85 View Post
I don't remember changing the backlight on mine, but am pretty sure HDR is 18 for my Standard mode setup.
If you are watching HDR content in Standard, Movie or playing a game your backlight will bump up to 20 and Contrast 100.

Quote:
Unfortunately TV will switch to PCM 2 channels whenever you're going from a DD source to a DTS one (or the other way around) forcing you to change it manually in the Sound menu.
When exactly is this happening to you and what is the source, all? I have mine set to Bitstream and DD and the only time I've seen DD switch to PCM is when I'm using the Pandora and Spotify. I've never had to switch it back manually though through my KS.
King Richard likes this.

Official Samsung KS8000/8500 Owners Information PDF
Living Room: LG 55LE5500 Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360 w/Kinect
Bedroom: VIZIO E470VL VIZIO VSB200 Sound Bar Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360
Inner Sanctum: Samsung 65KS8000, Halo XBox One, GoW Xbox 360, Onkyo HT-S5300
post #20845 of 37091 Old 01-23-2017, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
HDMI-CEC ARC seems to be partially fixed in firmware 1162. I said partially because while the HDMI-CEC link still breaks from time to time, you can now re-establish the HDMI-CEC link when you turn on a device connected directly to OCB. In my case, I have a streaming box connected to HDMI 1 on the OCB, and when I turn it on, the TV will automatically establish the HDMI-CEC link to my AVR (Onkyo TX-NR646), and enable the ARC. Then I can switch to other sources like YouTube, Live TV, or others to continue to have ARC.

In older firmware, I can just change the TV source to Live TV, and the ARC will enable. It no longer works that way, and it has to be a device connected to the OCB. Changing the TV Sound source from TV Speakers to Receiver still does not work. It is not ideal, but at least I no longer need to pull the TV power cord to get ARC to work.
Thank Goodness I turned my auto update off at 1160.6, thats when my ARC started working again properly. Everything works ATM so I'm not updating again.

So if you are watching direct Tv and then say switch to netflix or amazon it doesn't switch automatically to ARC?

I work to live and live for the beach.
Amateur HT enthusiast.
Samsung 65KS8500/Onkyo 656 AVR, Dolby 5.1.2 Atmos, SVS primes,
Sharp Quatron 3D 60" Onkyo 705 Bonus room
Sharp Quatron 60" Bedroom
post #20846 of 37091 Old 01-23-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Donster View Post
When exactly is this happening to you and what is the source, all? I have mine set to Bitstream and DD and the only time I've seen DD switch to PCM is when I'm using the Pandora and Spotify. I've never had to switch it back manually though through my KS.
Step 1. Set my Live TV or Netflix (or any other source) to Bitstream DD
Step 2. Set my PS4 Pro (HDMI 1 or 2) to Bitstream DTS
Step 3. Go back to Live TV to find it has switched to Bitstream PCM
Step 4. Put Live TV back on Bitstream DD
Step 5. Go back to PS4 Pro and find it switched to Bitstream PCM
Step 6. Repeat until you get mad....
=
The TV does not remember more than one Bitstream audio format at the time. It is also very annoying when switching contents in my DLNA server (some are DD, some are DTS).

NB : The reason I am not setting my PS4 Pro to DD is because there is a bug with game mode where DD sound is delayed by 5-6 frames with delay at 0. There is no way around that apparently and Samsung is silent on the issue.
EvilRyu86 likes this.

post #20847 of 37091 Old 01-23-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Ha sorry about that. I'm no expert in the subject but I'll try to explain.
Remember that you're signal path is going from your device, a UHD player from example, through the TV for a pass through your receiver.
While technically your source and receiver support 7.1, your TV in the middle doesn't.
It doesn't because the bandwidth required to pass those 8 channels is extremely high and. HDMI 2.0 ARC does not support such high bandwidth.
HDMI 2.1 ARC (eARC) will.
Thanks DMZ that helped I have another question maybe you can answer as well. Assuming I purchase a new 7.2 AV receiver that is HDCP 2.2 compliant will the OCB Samsung box still upscale HD and SD content coming from external components such as a HTPC, NAS, Android TvBox or do I need to rely on the AVR to do the up scaling?
post #20848 of 37091 Old 01-23-2017, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Does HDR+ Mode play 4k HDR Videos on YouTube? I keepp reading on here that it is just standard mode and movie mode that you have to be on in order to play HDR on YouTube? So no HDR+?
post #20849 of 37091 Old 01-23-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Thanks DMZ that helped I have another question maybe you can answer as well. Assuming I purchase a new 7.2 AV receiver that is HDCP 2.2 compliant will the OCB Samsung box still upscale HD and SD content coming from external components such as a HTPC, NAS, Android TvBox or do I need to rely on the AVR to do the up scaling?
From what I've read new AVR can do up scaling but you can disable it.

post #20850 of 37091 Old 01-23-2017, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtechno View Post

When you try to play a 4k HDR video with the tv's youtube app, check the 'stats for nerds' info and see what your connection speed is. If it's lower than 30Mbps, you will only get 1440p resolution (if that).

*still on 1155

Samsung UN60KS8000
Samsung UBD-K8500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
denon s740h , extra , hdmi input , KS8000/KS8500 , no picture , one connect fail , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page