Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 754 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 180144Likes

post #22591 of 36959 Old 02-15-2017, 08:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy76 View Post
Not happy with motion issues AT ALL!!!

So, I just picked up the ks8000 a few days ago. I'm replacing a Panasonic TC-65ST50 (which i absolutely loved) because my son cracked the screen. ?

I'll cut right to the chase. After hours of setting changes I still can't counteract how bad this tv handles motion.

Are others having the same issue???

I will say, I watched some 4K material throught the TV's YouTube app -- It looked incredible -- sharp and colorful with zero motion issues.

When I watched the same video, but through the PS4 YouTube app (run through reciever) although slight, the quality was not as good.

So what is causing this?

Cablevision cable box (HD material) run through a Denon 2313ci receiver looks less than impressive.

I also noticed white text on screen is full of black dots and the borders are not sharp at all

Am I missing something or is this what I should expect.

Even my wife, who can watch SD letterboxed 4:3 movies and never know the difference, asked me if something was wrong with the tv.

Not good.

Just take a read on the last 5 pages. I get a lot of judder on games and the motion on movies is just horrible to my eyes. You can turn on the auto motion plus (adds SOP) and reduce the issues but with no 100% fix. I had never experienced motion issues with any of my previous Sony tv's. Please post if you can on their Facebook page as some guys from here have done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22592 of 36959 Old 02-15-2017, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledvedder View Post
Hi everyone,
I purchased the un55ks8000 this past weekend and I'm going through the process of setup. I have a few questions.

I have a Verizon FIOS set top box connected via Hdmi, and also a Sony blu-ray home theater system connected via a 2nd Hdmi cable. Would I benefit from newer Hdmi cables?

Also, I'm sending my audio from the FIOS box to the Sony home theater via digital optical cable. This is working fine for watching regular TV and also blu-rays. But, if I go to one of the streaming services on the TV (Netflix, etc) I still get the audio from the FIOS box. How can I get the audio from the streaming services to play through the Sony blu-ray home theater? Should I remove the digital optical cable from between the FIOS box and the home theater and put it from the TV to the home theater?

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
Are you using an AVR? I'm not familiar with FIOS. The TV has an ARC port which is port 4 on the OCB, this will allow audio to stream back through the surround system.

I work to live and live for the beach.
Amateur HT enthusiast.
Samsung 65KS8500/Onkyo 656 AVR, Dolby 5.1.2 Atmos, SVS primes,
Sharp Quatron 3D 60" Onkyo 705 Bonus room
Sharp Quatron 60" Bedroom
post #22593 of 36959 Old 02-15-2017, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by layzzzee8 View Post
Amazon Goldbox Deal of the Day: Nighthawk AC1750
WOW, that is a good deal! The Nighthawk I've been looking at has been closer to $200? Thanks for the heads up.
mrtickleuk likes this.

Official Samsung KS8000/8500 Owners Information PDF
Living Room: LG 55LE5500 Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360 w/Kinect
Bedroom: VIZIO E470VL VIZIO VSB200 Sound Bar Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360
Inner Sanctum: Samsung 65KS8000, Halo XBox One, GoW Xbox 360, Onkyo HT-S5300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22594 of 36959 Old 02-15-2017, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by acefr View Post
Without the HDMI connection, the TV cannot see the Sound Bar. If the TV cannot identify the Soundbar, it simply cannot send an IR code to control the volume. Unlike the HDMI, the optical is a one way connection from from the TV to an external device. Maybe the TV remote is simply controlling the volume on your Satellite tuner and not the Sound Bar.
You can setup a Home Theatre System (HTS) on the TV connected by optical. In that case the Smart Remote sends IR codes. I don't have a satellite tuner - I used the satellite tuner built into the TV.

Like I said I can make the Smart Remote send IR (the front is an IR blaster) but just not when I'm on HDMI1 unless I configure the HTS on HTMI1 itself. Then the Smart Remote will control the soundbar (sind the IR codes) but I lose HDMI-CEC control on HDMI1 so cannot control the Nvidia Shield (from the Smart Remote).

HTS configured on optical -> HDMI-CEC on HDMI1 works, no IR codes sent to soundbar
HTS configured on HDMI1-> no HDMI-CEC on HDMI1, IR codes sent to soundbar works

I really can't understand when you have a HTS configured on optical that the Smart Remote doesn't just send the IR codes regardless of what your input is (or if you're using the apps). It's so basic and simple....

DIY Sound Group 893 & Volt 8's Build Thread
post #22595 of 36959 Old 02-15-2017, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximuslcd View Post
Are you using an AVR? I'm not familiar with FIOS. The TV has an ARC port which is port 4 on the OCB, this will allow audio to stream back through the surround system.
No, but I will try that. I'm currently using an optical cable going from the FIOS STB to the home theater.

Also, do you think I should upgrade my hdmi cables?

post #22596 of 36959 Old 02-15-2017, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Quote:
No, but I will try that. I'm currently using an optical cable going from the FIOS STB to the home theater.

Just run an additional optical cable from the One Connect Box to a different optical input on the receiver. Assign that optical port to whatever source you want to use for the TV audio and switch to that source when watching the TV apps.
The_Donster and ledvedder like this.
post #22597 of 36959 Old 02-15-2017, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf7002 View Post
That's not to say I have a better idea on why Game Mode doesn't switch profiles. I can only assume it's a design choice. When the TV first came out, I think only Movie Mode allowed HDR and a separate profile for HDR? Allowing HDR and a separate profile in other modes came in later firmwares. Maybe they will add it later, or maybe it's just not on their Feature List. I don't know.
It seems like a odd omission, I don't buy the theory that it would cause too much input lag because as you say, it would only have to switch once upon detection.

It is strange that it has been quite so long for Samsung to implement this, so I'm worried that Game Mode simply isn't capable of holding two profiles or Samsung have too many other more important things to attend to before fixing this. Unfortunately we have zero visibility on what they are working on or what each update actually contains.....
post #22598 of 36959 Old 02-15-2017, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Quoted: 5499 Post(s)
Liked: 7964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achillias View Post
Could someone tell me where on the box or tv I could see the date of production on the KS7000 (europe).
I have this model. Date of production (and panel code etc) is simply not on the box unfortunately. The only thing on the box is a small label which has the model and the serial number - the "made in Slovakia" label.

Quote:
That theory seems implausible to me. Not saying it's not impossible, just unlikely. The HDR-SDR auto-detection isn't turned off, since the TV successfully detects and displays HDR in Game Mode when fed an HDR signal. It successfully displays a proper image using a different bit-depth, colour space, gamma curve or what not. It successfully detects the change in signal type and displays appropriately.
Excellent point. It certainly switches between rec.709 and rec.2020 and switches from Gamma to PQ curves as you say, even if it doesn't switch profiles.

Yes, at launch only Movie mode supported HDR.
Later, Standard was added with two profiles.
Later still, Game was added - but when it was, it didn't have two profiles. This was a curve-ball that none of us saw coming and there's been no word as to why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzan View Post
It seems like a odd omission, I don't buy the theory that it would cause too much input lag because as you say, it would only have to switch once upon detection.

It is strange that it has been quite so long for Samsung to implement this, so I'm worried that Game Mode simply isn't capable of holding two profiles or Samsung have too many other more important things to attend to before fixing this. Unfortunately we have zero visibility on what they are working on or what each update actually contains.....
Indeed.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #22599 of 36959 Old 02-15-2017, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
firmware update question

Hello, I am new to the forum, and owner of a new 65KS8000.

Can someone advise me on updating the firmware? I got the set yesterday, and notice that the firmware version is 1141, and it shows the new version that I can update to is 1162.

I turned off the auto-update function but my questions are:

1) should I usually just leave that auto-update on?
2) is there any reason I should not update to 1162 at this time?

Thanks...
post #22600 of 36959 Old 02-15-2017, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobus View Post
Hello, I am new to the forum, and owner of a new 65KS8000.

Can someone advise me on updating the firmware? I got the set yesterday, and notice that the firmware version is 1141, and it shows the new version that I can update to is 1162.

I turned off the auto-update function but my questions are:

1) should I usually just leave that auto-update on?
2) is there any reason I should not update to 1162 at this time?

Thanks...
Welcome! Have a read of the first page and the first post for lots of other useful information.

Normally it's fine to leave auto-update on. Some people have had issues with ARC sound on 1162 (read back for more info). However, YouTube HDR was added in version 1152 so it's worth updating just to get that. You're on a pretty old version at the moment (1141 was early October)
Terminader and King Richard like this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #22601 of 36959 Old 02-15-2017, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Welcome! Have a read of the first page and the first post for lots of other useful information.

Normally it's fine to leave auto-update on. Some people have had issues with ARC sound on 1162 (read back for more info). However, YouTube HDR was added in version 1152 so it's worth updating just to get that. You're on a pretty old version at the moment (1141 was early October)
Thanks. I have been lurking here for years and read extensively. Advice here led me to finally pull the trigger on the KS8000.

The only issue I have had so far is possibly an ARC issue - when I turned the set on this morning, I was getting no sound through the soundbar that I have hooked up through the ARC (it is a Sony soundbar and subwoofer I bought 3 years ago for a Sony set, not sure of the model offhand). It worked fine yesterday, glitched this morning, but after a while of fidgeting with it, it is working again.

Should the ARC problems reported for vers 1162 give me any pause on updating?

65KS8000 owner
post #22602 of 36959 Old 02-15-2017, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:

Not sure what cables you have now but yes for 4k they will need to be high speed HDMI cables 2.0
Terminader likes this.

I work to live and live for the beach.
Amateur HT enthusiast.
Samsung 65KS8500/Onkyo 656 AVR, Dolby 5.1.2 Atmos, SVS primes,
Sharp Quatron 3D 60" Onkyo 705 Bonus room
Sharp Quatron 60" Bedroom
post #22603 of 36959 Old 02-15-2017, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Hi Guys,

I am from Brazil and I do have a 49KS7000 which is the same model but renamed, I do have a backlight bleeding in my unit and I have not sure if i should ask for an exchange or not, I am afraid to get a worse unit.. look the pictures.

This TV is very expansive in Brazil and I am totally disappointed because of it.

Some tips to run some tests?

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FJIMG_20170213_212358.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	1969977   Click image for larger version

Name:	FJIMG_20170213_212709.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	1969985   Click image for larger version

Name:	FJIMG_20170213_212403.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	1969993  
post #22604 of 36959 Old 02-15-2017, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Excellent point. It certainly switches between rec.709 and rec.2020 and switches from Gamma to PQ curves as you say, even if it doesn't switch profiles.

Yes, at launch only Movie mode supported HDR.
Later, Standard was added with two profiles.
Later still, Game was added - but when it was, it didn't have two profiles. This was a curve-ball that none of us saw coming and there's been no word as to why.
I certainly have no knowledge of the inner workings of either the hardware or the software on this TV, but it doesn't seem like a reach to have two profiles for Game Mode. Was it something that was overlooked at the time and they'll get back around to it? A design decision made in a boardroom one afternoon? Something they want to add but have higher priority items? Even without knowing the inner workings of the TV, I still have a hard time believing it's "not possible". It should just be a software issue. Hopefully, fingers crossing, it gets implemented soon.
post #22605 of 36959 Old 02-15-2017, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked: 1671
Quote:
Originally Posted by NandoBR View Post
Hi Guys,

I am from Brazil and I do have a 49KS7000 which is the same model but renamed, I do have a backlight bleeding in my unit and I have not sure if i should ask for an exchange or not, I am afraid to get a worse unit.. look the pictures.

This TV is very expansive in Brazil and I am totally disappointed because of it.

Thank you
Oi, tudo bem? I worked in Sao Paulo a bit!

Although these TVs have characteristics like this, I suggest you exchange if it bothers you during normal TV watching - not just looking closely at a black screen. Try some settings suggested in the first post of this forum and by others.

Too many Reias if you are not happy!
jeep05 likes this.
post #22606 of 36959 Old 02-15-2017, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4KaddiKt View Post
need suggestion on a wireless keyboard. thanks.

Did you ever get a KB? If so, what did you get?

Samsung KS800D 65" | Sony BluRay player S3500
post #22607 of 36959 Old 02-15-2017, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So am I the only one that is somewhat disappointed with the remote control that came with the ks8000? I mean the style is fine all all but why in the world would samsung get rid of the pointer function from last year's tvs? It was so much easier to point at the screen to enter text rather than having to always hit the directional pad multiple times to get to each letter.
post #22608 of 36959 Old 02-15-2017, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Hi Guys,

Thank you
It looks quite normal for this kind of technology. Do you have Smart LED OFF ?

Samsung UN55KS8000 || Sony BDVE-980W || PS4 Pro
post #22609 of 36959 Old 02-15-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsled View Post
Also curious about the keyboard, hence my prior post. Ha.
post #22610 of 36959 Old 02-15-2017, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Siliwono View Post
So am I the only one that is somewhat disappointed with the remote control that came with the ks8000? I mean the style is fine all all but why in the world would samsung get rid of the pointer function from last year's tvs? It was so much easier to point at the screen to enter text rather than having to always hit the directional pad multiple times to get to each letter.
Ugh, I HATED last years pointer design. I shouldn't have to raise my hand and fumble with the remote to select something on the screen. How often are you typing words?
Terminader and The_Donster like this.
post #22611 of 36959 Old 02-15-2017, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Also curious about the keyboard, hence my prior post. Ha.
I haven't tried it but you can probably plug in a wireless keyboard receiver. In which case the Logitech K400 plus would be the best choice as it has the trackpad and keyboard built into a small form factor. I can try when I get home if you want.
King Richard likes this.
post #22612 of 36959 Old 02-15-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsled View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by layzzzee8 View Post
Ugh, I HATED last years pointer design. I shouldn't have to raise my hand and fumble with the remote to select something on the screen. How often are you typing words?
Yea I can definitely understand what you saying but you can agree that typing with the pointer is faster than without it right? I personally watch alot of YouTube through my tv so I do a fair amount of typing. I'm just saying it would have been nice to have both options in the remote.
post #22613 of 36959 Old 02-15-2017, 02:22 PM

Yea that would be much appreciated. You would be plugging it into the USB slot on the one box?
post #22614 of 36959 Old 02-15-2017, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yea I can definitely understand what you saying but you can agree that typing with the pointer is faster than without it right? I personally watch alot of YouTube through my tv so I do a fair amount of typing. I'm just saying it would have been nice to have both options in the remote.
I see your "point". Looks like the 2017 sets are bringing it back.
Terminader likes this.
post #22615 of 36959 Old 02-15-2017, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
You should just get a USB keyboard. I have the logitech K400 hooked up to my TV and it works great. The track pad works great with the built in web browser and the keyboard makes logging into apps a breeze!
King Richard likes this.
post #22616 of 36959 Old 02-15-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMZ_P View Post
It looks quite normal for this kind of technology. Do you have Smart LED OFF ?
Not, its is ON..
post #22617 of 36959 Old 02-15-2017, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I certainly have no knowledge of the inner workings of either the hardware or the software on this TV, but it doesn't seem like a reach to have two profiles for Game Mode. Was it something that was overlooked at the time and they'll get back around to it? A design decision made in a boardroom one afternoon? Something they want to add but have higher priority items? Even without knowing the inner workings of the TV, I still have a hard time believing it's "not possible". It should just be a software issue. Hopefully, fingers crossing, it gets implemented soon.
Agreed!

As a fall-back position, look at this:
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ow...-js70xx-series

It's the 2015 model, still getting firmware updates in Jan 2017 . That's 23 months of firmware updates so far, and still counting. Not just getting dumped after a year. This alone I find very encouraging.
joetech, jeep05 and The_Donster like this.

post #22618 of 36959 Old 02-15-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminader View Post
Oi, tudo bem? I worked in Sao Paulo a bit!

Although these TVs have characteristics like this, I suggest you exchange if it bothers you during normal TV watching - not just looking closely at a black screen. Try some settings suggested in the first post of this forum and by others.

Too many Reias if you are not happy!
Thank you for the feedback, sometimes I think that I am being too paranoiac with this, I will run more some tests..
post #22619 of 36959 Old 02-15-2017, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked: 1671
Quote:
Thank you for the feedback, sometimes I think that I am being too paranoiac with this, I will run more some tests..
Sure and try lowering your backlight and reducing Smart LED to Low or Off to see if that helps.
jeep05 and King Richard like this.
post #22620 of 36959 Old 02-15-2017, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1373 Post(s)
Liked: 2288
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Donster View Post
WOW, that is a good deal! The Nighthawk I've been looking at has been closer to $200? Thanks for the heads up.
Keep in mind, that is a lower end model. The one you and I discussed in PM offers many extra benefits, most important being 4x4 mu-mimo. Keep an eye out for those Newegg deals, you'll be able to get the R7800 for close to the price of that lower model.
The_Donster likes this.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
denon s740h , extra , hdmi input , KS8000/KS8500 , no picture , one connect fail , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page