Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 757 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 179940Likes

post #22681 of 36638 Old 02-16-2017, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximuslcd View Post
What is it with places and stickers! My wifes new Impala had stickers on the doors (on the inside on the brushed trim) and I have yet to get all the sticky stuff off, I tried using everything on 1 spot and it dulled the trim! Stickers ruin things, you would think they would know better than to put them on a TV screen

Try naphtha to remove adhesive residue. I have found it to be one of the most plastic and paint friendly solvents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22682 of 36638 Old 02-16-2017, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD83 View Post
I would get the flickering on bright highlights when the screen would pan. Because I cant get the frame skips to stop on SDR I run the AMP off. 4k and HDR I am able to turn it on. I only get the flicker slightly once in a while on edges of square objects now like sides of buildings etc. I didnt notice any flicker on walking dead though but the whole show looked pretty crappy to be honest in SDR
The flicker I am talking about seems to be on wrinkles in faces and other textures. It's not on the edges of objects. I notice it the most during a panning shot of trees. The textures of leaves and bark seem to stay in place while the edges of objects continue in the pan. Then they quickly flash back to being in the right spot only to stay in place again. Like flickering smearing if that makes any sense.
post #22683 of 36638 Old 02-16-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Drinkwater View Post
Hey all! Hoping someone could help me trouble shoot (maybe trouble shoot?) my KS8000. The picture itself looks great, but I'm hung up on the appearance of the very bottom of the screen. There seems to be a little band or distortion across the entire bottom of the screen. Or maybe it's the edge is a little brighter? Is this typical? I know it's edge lit. It's only viewable in certain colors (typically lighter colors) and I'm wondering if this is simply part and parcel for the technology, or if there's something I should be concerned about?

Thanks in advance!
It's normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22684 of 36638 Old 02-16-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okitech623 View Post
Guess I lost the panel lottery on my first try. Unboxed and powered up for the first time last night and noticed pretty pronounced banding (or at least I think it's banding) on the left half of the screen. Right half is okay.

Also seems to get super bright then dark at random often during the same scene when nothing substantial had changed in the frame. Really annoying. Not sure if this is a feature or if something is really wrong. I can almost live with the banding but the bright/dark thing got old fast on my hour or so of initial viewing. It happens in all viewing modes. I made sure to turn off the eco mode setting. Toggled though the various Smart LCD settings hoping that would help but to no effect.

Any suggestions?

My wife wants it to go back. I'm inclined to agree. I'll mess with it some more tonight and probably take it back in tomorrow if I don't see improvement.
Exchange it.
Terminader and The_Donster like this.
post #22685 of 36638 Old 02-16-2017, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by layzzzee8 View Post
The flicker I am talking about seems to be on wrinkles in faces and other textures. It's not on the edges of objects. I notice it the most during a panning shot of trees. The textures of leaves and bark seem to stay in place while the edges of objects continue in the pan. Then they quickly flash back to being in the right spot only to stay in place again. Like flickering smearing if that makes any sense.
Oh I got you, thats weird. Almost like the edge stretches out then snaps back like a rubber band lol? Ive never seen or noticed that.
post #22686 of 36638 Old 02-16-2017, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshmel View Post
It's normal.
Awesome, thank you for responding. I've been obsessing over it the past two weeks, and I'm like -- I think, I think this just may be the technology.
post #22687 of 36638 Old 02-16-2017, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Awesome, thank you for responding. I've been obsessing over it the past two weeks, and I'm like -- I think, I think this just may be the technology.
If its to bright id exchange it as there are sets that dont have it. Mine does not show any. It is a side effect with edge lit but some are better than others so if it is an easy enough exchange and worth your time I would swap it.
post #22688 of 36638 Old 02-16-2017, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Oh I got you, thats weird. Almost like the edge stretches out then snaps back like a rubber band lol? Ive never seen or noticed that.
Kind of but the edge doesn't stretch. It stays in place and the texture goes outside the edge. This is only on The Walking Dead. I haven't seen it on any other programming. But again no other cable programming is as grainy.
post #22689 of 36638 Old 02-16-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
If its to bright id exchange it as there are sets that dont have it. Mine does not show any. It is a side effect with edge lit but some are better than others so if it is an easy enough exchange and worth your time I would swap it.
True, "normal" is a relative term. Ian should post photos for more accurate assessment by this community of folks who have developed a critical eye for this model. My 65" FA01 panel has some slight yellow tinge which shows up as two very broad horizontal bands about a third of the way up from the bottom and down from the top. Only readily noticeable on full white test patterns. Can sometimes see it during hockey games depending on how white and uniform the ice is. I also have some yellow bands along the left and right edges. Haven't bothered to take photos since I have all but decided to NOT play the panel lottery and return it. My only solace is knowing that the OLED folks have not been able to achieve 100% perfection even after paying twice as much. 90% of the time I find myself watching the content of the image and enjoying the set.
post #22690 of 36638 Old 02-16-2017, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 5039 Post(s)
Liked: 7359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazog View Post
Cool, thanks for the heads up. Noted and logged with the date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsled View Post
^ I guess first person to turn on their TV with auto update.
I wouldn't guess that, since firmware updates are normally available on the website for weeks before they get to the auto-update stream.

Quote:
I'll be installing tonight. Hoping it fixes the Amazon Video bug
Fingers crossed but it's very unlikely! If it does go away it would be because that issue in the app was directly caused by a firmware problem outside of Amazon's control. The firmware doesn't contain the apps.
Terminader likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #22691 of 36638 Old 02-16-2017, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post

Fingers crossed but it's very unlikely! If it does go away it would be because that issue in the app was directly caused by a firmware problem outside of Amazon's control. The firmware doesn't contain the apps.
It was certainly introduced with 1162.
post #22692 of 36638 Old 02-16-2017, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 5039 Post(s)
Liked: 7359
Quote:
It was certainly introduced with 1162.
fingers crossed, as I say.

Obviously, the first person to test HDR in Game mode for multiple settings gets a prize.
Terminader, The_Donster and DMZ_P like this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #22693 of 36638 Old 02-16-2017, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post
My help would be to suggest you take them back and get your money back and buy Monoprice Certified premium cables. You over paid for nothing.
My advice is to NOT get the Monoprice cables. I ordered 3 of them in November. One would not work if the cable had even the slightest bend in it. Monoprice replaced it. The new one has to be in the HDMI socket just right, or there is a loss of signal (almost as if it is very slightly the wrong size). I now have a cheapo cable in the same socket (since it is 1080i only) and it works great.

There may be other good, cheap brands out there, but Monoprice is no longer one of them.
acefr likes this.

My current KS800 settings. PM:Movie, BL:13, B:45, C:85, S:0, C:40, T:G48/R52, DCV:Off, AMP:Off, SLED:Low, FM:Auto1, BL: Auto, DC:Off, CT:Warm1, Gam:0, CS:Auto
post #22694 of 36638 Old 02-16-2017, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1296 Post(s)
Liked: 2142
Quote:
Originally Posted by abward View Post
My advice is to NOT get the Monoprice cables. I ordered 3 of them in November. One would not work if the cable had even the slightest bend in it. Monoprice replaced it. The new one has to be in the HDMI socket just right, or there is a loss of signal (almost as if it is very slightly the wrong size). I now have a cheapo cable in the same socket (since it is 1080i only) and it works great.

There may be other good, cheap brands out there, but Monoprice is no longer one of them.
Sorry you had an issue. However that's not the norm. If you check many of the threads here on AVS, the Monoprice Certified Premiums are the most recommended and the most reliable.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #22695 of 36638 Old 02-16-2017, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshmel View Post
True, "normal" is a relative term. Ian should post photos for more accurate assessment by this community of folks who have developed a critical eye for this model. My 65" FA01 panel has some slight yellow tinge which shows up as two very broad horizontal bands about a third of the way up from the bottom and down from the top. Only readily noticeable on full white test patterns. Can sometimes see it during hockey games depending on how white and uniform the ice is. I also have some yellow bands along the left and right edges. Haven't bothered to take photos since I have all but decided to NOT play the panel lottery and return it. My only solace is knowing that the OLED folks have not been able to achieve 100% perfection even after paying twice as much. 90% of the time I find myself watching the content of the image and enjoying the set.
Indeed. I'm sort of wondering if I'm within the acceptable parameters or such. Sometimes I think it's obvious and noticeable, and sometimes I think I'm an obsessive who is going out of his way to notice slight flaws. I'll post some pictures tonight when I return from work.

Much, like you, I'm inclined towards NOT playing the panel lottery again, but I also don't want to settle for something that most would call unacceptable.

Anyways, thanks again! I'll post some pictures tonight.
post #22696 of 36638 Old 02-16-2017, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I have two things that tick me off currently

1. How hard can it be to always default to bitstream the audio (via ARC)? If the file I playback has DTS.... pass out DTS, if the file (or netflix) has DD pass out DD, if it is PCM .. you get the idea. My 2011 LG does that just fine.. why do I have to go into the sound output menu every time I play another file or source ?

2. Is there a way to NOT have the TV on light standby all the time ? If I use the youtube app and choose the wrong playback TV by accident, it wakes up the TV in the living room from standby to play youtube. I guess that is a neat function, but disabling it would be great.

Last edited by dolbymandts; 02-16-2017 at 12:02 PM.
post #22697 of 36638 Old 02-16-2017, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okitech623 View Post
I bought mine brand new from BB last night and it had an energy efficiency sticker on the upper right corner.
Interesting. I know the sticker you're referencing, but it wasn't on mine. Maybe they forgot to put it on.

- Vizio P-Quantum PQ65-F1 w/ Bias Lighting
- Denon AVR-X3300W 5.1.2
- Philips BDP7501 UHD
- JBL Studio F/C/S, Pioneer Atmos
- XB1S, PS4, Nvidia Shield
post #22698 of 36638 Old 02-16-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Indeed. I'm sort of wondering if I'm within the acceptable parameters or such. Sometimes I think it's obvious and noticeable, and sometimes I think I'm an obsessive who is going out of his way to notice slight flaws. I'll post some pictures tonight when I return from work.

Much, like you, I'm inclined towards NOT playing the panel lottery again, but I also don't want to settle for something that most would call unacceptable.

Anyways, thanks again! I'll post some pictures tonight.
By virtue of the fact that you are participating in this forum makes you a "highly discriminating" technophile. Or "obsessive" if you like that term better. We either see things other don't or are more bothered by it. I remember seeing the rainbow effect on my DLP projector for the first time. I wish I had not ...
ketamine likes this.
post #22699 of 36638 Old 02-16-2017, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsled View Post
Ouch. Just curious, what panel code, FA01 or AU(what ever the rest is)?
The box says FA01.
post #22700 of 36638 Old 02-16-2017, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Liked: 1090
Quote:
I'll be installing tonight. Hoping it fixes the Amazon Video bug
is the amazon bug your talking about that happens is video freezing or skipping momentarily like for a second stop then starts. I at first thought it was a weak processing power of the TV's video card. but if thats the bug your talking about I'm hoping it will fix it as well. Mind you it only happens to me only after I've Been binge watching for a while.

Living Room Sam. UN65KS8000 / 2017 Roku Ultra / Onkyo TX-RZ920 7.2.4 / M-5010 Amp. /Sam. UBD-M8500 Blu-Ray Player.
DEN TCL 65R617 65-Inch 4K Ultra / Onkyo TX-RZ730 5.2.4 / Philips 4K UHD Dolby Vision Player (P7502) BEDROOM Sam. 55JS8500 / 2016 Roku Ultra / LG UP870 3D Ultra High Definition Blu-Ray 4K Player
post #22701 of 36638 Old 02-16-2017, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post
is the amazon bug your talking about that happens is video freezing or skipping momentarily like for a second stop then starts. I at first thought it was a weak processing power of the TV's video card. but if thats the bug your talking about I'm hoping it will fix it as well. Mind you it only happens to me only after I've Been binge watching for a while.
Yup. To fix it temporarily you can pull up the smarthub, go to apps, then my apps, highlight the amazon app and hold down select. Choose reinstall.
Terminader and King Richard like this.
post #22702 of 36638 Old 02-16-2017, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 334
I installed 1165 this morning without issue. I don't have any problems with Amazon, Netflix, Lip Sync, ARC or any other problems posted here..

I can't test Game Mode but assume its still the same. My previous complaint about artifacts in HDR+ seems to have been resolved.

post #22703 of 36638 Old 02-16-2017, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Why won't the ks8000 recognize dolby or dts audio and automatically chose the best or either? I always have to go into settings and manually select which audio format I want? Such a pain...
post #22704 of 36638 Old 02-16-2017, 01:18 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe75xp View Post
I installed 1165 this morning without issue. I don't have any problems with Amazon, Netflix, Lip Sync, ARC or any other problems posted here.

At least not yet.

Samsung KS800D 65" | Sony BluRay player S3500
post #22705 of 36638 Old 02-16-2017, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComcastTech View Post
Why won't the ks8000 recognize dolby or dts audio and automatically chose the best or either? I always have to go into settings and manually select which audio format I want? Such a pain...

Very much a pain. I've learned on this forum tho that Samsung has been doing that for years with their TV's, so sounds like we are stuck with it. I'll eventually pick up an AVR that has HMDI I suppose and run everything through there, then I won't have to worry about it. But that's likely a ways off, too many other things to spend my money on right now lol
post #22706 of 36638 Old 02-16-2017, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Agreed!

As a fall-back position, look at this:
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ow...-js70xx-series

It's the 2015 model, still getting firmware updates in Jan 2017 . That's 23 months of firmware updates so far, and still counting. Not just getting dumped after a year. This alone I find very encouraging.
That IS very encouraging! It's nice to know Samsung is standing behind their products, even if they aren't giving us every last little thing the way we want it lol. There's still room for hope that we'll get separate HDR profile settings in Game Mode.
post #22707 of 36638 Old 02-16-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf7002 View Post
Very much a pain. I've learned on this forum tho that Samsung has been doing that for years with their TV's, so sounds like we are stuck with it. I'll eventually pick up an AVR that has HMDI I suppose and run everything through there, then I won't have to worry about it. But that's likely a ways off, too many other things to spend my money on right now lol
hmmm weird my last set was an LED Samsung and didn't notice this issue probably because I wasn't forced to use their added 4k box in between. I have a harmony elite controller is there anyway to get it to switch this for me? Anyone?...
post #22708 of 36638 Old 02-16-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
hmmm weird my last set was an LED Samsung and didn't notice this issue probably because I wasn't forced to use their added 4k box in between. I have a harmony elite controller is there anyway to get it to switch this for me? Anyone?...

Or sounds like I need to pony-up and buy a new 4k compatible receiver....
Terminader likes this.
post #22709 of 36638 Old 02-16-2017, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Thats what I just mentioned earlier
post #22710 of 36638 Old 02-16-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolbymandts View Post
Thats what I just mentioned earlier
Sorry to re-post what you posted I just didn't go back and read the 1000's of previous posts 😂
but this is some bull**** it's forcing me to by a new 4k compatible receiver or deal with it... Not cool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
denon s740h , extra , hdmi input , KS8000/KS8500 , no picture , one connect fail , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page