Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 771 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 179870Likes

post #23101 of 36543 Old 02-27-2017, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Right, cool. I thought you were saying that the settings somehow changed on their own when switching in or out of HDR when in Game mode. If they did that people would get excited.
Round and round we go . That IS the case that's been talked about. Once an HDR game is launched, the settings on the tv change. Not changing in and out of HDR mode on the TV, loading an HDR game is the problem or bug with this TV. I'll try to grab a pic later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23102 of 36543 Old 02-27-2017, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceX View Post
Man. Put it in movie mode and played gears 4.

I sat there and flipped back n forth between movie and game and didnt notice difference in lag shooting the gun etc.
Oh man. I cant say the same at all. In movie mode there is a definite delay between when I push a button on my ps4 controller to when the action happens on screen. I was playing destiny and I even got my wife to have a go and she confirmed it as well. It's a very small amount but enough for it to annoy me. Game mode eliminates any perceived lag that might be there. I used to play a *lot* of fast paced shooters so I may be overly sensitive to it but in movie there was lag for me.
King Richard likes this.
post #23103 of 36543 Old 02-27-2017, 09:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richard View Post
Hey Erick,

Unless you manually changed those settings, the "Backlight" and "Contrast" settings should automatically go to their maximum values (20 and 100) when you start playing an HDR UHD Blu-ray movie. If they were changed (for whatever reason), then manually put them back to their maximum values when the HDR movie starts playing. They will go back to their previous values when you exit HDR mode.

The TV needs to be in the "Movie" picture mode (or "Standard) for HDR content playback (I recommend "Movie" mode - which you said you were already using anyways). Also make sure all of the TV's "Eco" settings are turned OFF.

Although you said that the "HDMI UHD Color" setting was turned ON, double-check it anyways.

Also, make sure you are actually playing the UHD Blu-ray disc and not the included regular HD version. However, the fact that you stated that you saw the HDR notice displayed on the TV seems to indicate that you put in the correct disc.

>>These are my recommended TV settings when viewing HDR content<<

For my Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-ray player settings, see >THIS POST<

Richard
thank you King Richard...I will double check settings tonight for sure on both the TV and the UHD player...your notes/post help a lot.
so far I'm very impressed with the TV. A big jump from my old Samsung LCD from 2011.
erick
Terminader and King Richard like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23104 of 36543 Old 02-27-2017, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have two KS8000s. They have the same settings, including Warm 2 for color temperature. However, when watching the old black and white Twilight Zone episodes, images in the FA01 panel look noticeably more yellow/brown than the AA02 panel (which look more "white").

Other than professional calibration, is there an easy test or some method to determine which of the two TVs has the more faithful color/B&W rendering to the original source material?

I did a search to study what I could to the best of my understanding, but I'm still left with my question.
post #23105 of 36543 Old 02-27-2017, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 968 Post(s)
Liked: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubaman1000 View Post
I have two KS8000s. They have the same settings, including Warm 2 for color temperature. However, when watching the old black and white Twilight Zone episodes, images in the FA01 panel look noticeably more yellow/brown than the AA02 panel (which look more "white").

Other than professional calibration, is there an easy test or some method to determine which of the two TVs has the more faithful color/B&W rendering to the original source material?

I did a search to study what I could to the best of my understanding, but I'm still left with my question.
Try Warm 1. OK purists say it not as accurate as Warm 2 but I find Warm 2 too yellow.

Samsung UE55KS8000 | Pioneer SC-LX701 | Dune HD Pro 4K | Zidoo Z9S | Apple TV 4K | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Player
post #23106 of 36543 Old 02-27-2017, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by matts1313 View Post
eagleone42

i would love to see a picture of the setup if you can, thanks!
Matt
Click image for larger version

Name:	800.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	1996553

Finally got this. It's a bit messy since I haven't cleaned up cables yet since I kept moving them between the OCB and the AVR. The One Connect cable comes out from the TV and up to the top of the mount. The extra length is behind the box and the velcro straps hold it up, they are tight enough with One Connect cable one one side and the antenna connection that it doesn't slide when connecting/removing a USB drive. This only real down side is one HDMI port is covered, but that works for me. Optical cable is connected because I tested something earlier and haven't pulled it back out yet.

Also for those curious - the Raspberry Pi is currently just stuck there to test the Ex-Link port. I have made some good progress, but not done yet. Will post here if/when I get that done.
mrtickleuk likes this.

Samsung UN55KS8000FXZA || Onkyo TX-NR747 || Xbox One S || PC w/ 4k 60Hz
post #23107 of 36543 Old 02-27-2017, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 315
So I am super interested if Samsung has any plans to upgrade this T.V now that Dolby Vision will be a simple software update.

Will they treat us well and provide the update t.v, or will they hang us out to dry?

Last edited by Hiredgoon; 02-27-2017 at 11:54 AM.
post #23108 of 36543 Old 02-27-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blenky View Post
Try Warm 1. OK purists say it not as accurate as Warm 2 but I find Warm 2 too yellow.
Thanks Blenky. I might do that if I keep the FA01 panel. But what's puzzling is that both panels are set to Warm 2, yet one panel looks more yellow than the other.
post #23109 of 36543 Old 02-27-2017, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 588
Quote:
Thanks Blenky. I might do that if I keep the FA01 panel. But what's puzzling is that both panels are set to Warm 2, yet one panel looks more yellow than the other.

That's normal. No 2 screens are identical. You see this even on high end phones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rolls-Royce and mrtickleuk like this.
post #23110 of 36543 Old 02-27-2017, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 4877 Post(s)
Liked: 7173
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchobo View Post
Oh man. I cant say the same at all. In movie mode there is a definite delay between when I push a button on my ps4 controller to when the action happens on screen. I was playing destiny and I even got my wife to have a go and she confirmed it as well. It's a very small amount but enough for it to annoy me. Game mode eliminates any perceived lag that might be there. I used to play a *lot* of fast paced shooters so I may be overly sensitive to it but in movie there was lag for me.
Yes, movie has the most processing out of all possible modes (it has full 10-point White Balance correction).
Standard has less processing (only 2-point) so will have less input lag, but it still auto-switches settings when the TV turns on/off HDR processing.
Game has the least input lag and processing (lots of options disabled).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiredgoon View Post
So I am super interested if Samsung has any plans to upgrade this T.V now that Dolby Vision will be a simple software update.
They have not issued a statement - but to do that would contradict their stated policy of developing a royalty-free alternative in the form of Dynamic Metadata for HDR10, and giving that to the world instead.

To suddenly pay up for Dolby Vision would be a complete U-turn in Samsung's whole strategy. So I think it's extremely unlikely.

Btw it won't be a "simple software update". It'll be a software update for a small number of devices which have lots of spare processing power left over at the moment (even some of last year's top-end Sony TVs are apparently ruled out already), plus a licence fee being paid into Dolby's bank account for every unit sold, for ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiredgoon View Post
Will they treat us well for an expensive t.v, or will they hang us out to dry?
Er no, that's a false dichotomy.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #23111 of 36543 Old 02-27-2017, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Yes, movie has the most processing out of all possible modes (it has full 10-point White Balance correction).
Standard has less processing (only 2-point) so will have less input lag, but it still auto-switches settings when the TV turns on/off HDR processing.
Game has the least input lag and processing (lots of options disabled).

They have not issued a statement - but to do that would contradict their stated policy of developing a royalty-free alternative in the form of Dynamic Metadata for HDR10, and giving that to the world instead.

To suddenly pay up for Dolby Vision would be a complete U-turn in Samsung's whole strategy. So I think it's extremely unlikely.

Btw it won't be a "simple software update". It'll be a software update for a small number of devices which have lots of spare processing power left over at the moment (even some of last year's top-end Sony TVs are apparently ruled out already), plus a licence fee being paid into Dolby's bank account for every unit sold, for ever.

Er no, that's a false dichotomy.
Yeah, I guess if they do give us Dynamic HDR10 then there really is no point.

I wonder what the cost difference of the royalty vs developing your own standard would be in the end.
post #23112 of 36543 Old 02-27-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisha View Post
That's normal. No 2 screens are identical. You see this even on high end phones.
Yes, but my question still remains: Other than professional calibration, are there any tests or ways to determine which color temperature between the two panels is more faithful to the source material?
post #23113 of 36543 Old 02-27-2017, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2334 Post(s)
Liked: 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfeoblu View Post
hello everyone. I got a KS8000 a couple of days ago and the bluray pic quality with my Oppo 103D is really good, I'm happy with it for sure. I also decided to buy a gently used Samsung UBD-K8500 along with a HDMI 2.0 cable and see with my own eyes what all this 4K goodness is all about.
I have an extensive bluray collection but only one 4K movie: Jason Bourne! but this could change...in any case, I decided to play Jason Bourne 4K disc and see the HDR magic but I don't think the KS8000 activated the HDR setting (I did change the UHD color setting to ON for HDMI 3-the input I used to plug in the 4K player on the Connect One box) as the picture became dimmer while in the MOVIE setting. I had just played a movie on bluray with my Oppo 103D which looked bright and full of colour but when I started playing Jason Bourne on the samsung 4K player, the KS8000 TV became dimmer...a line of text on the screen tells me that I'm playing a HDR movie the settings indicate that is a 4K quality but I didn't see any indication of HDR, I checked settings and backlight was 4, contrast of 85...LED HIGH but the pic quality was much darker than when I played a bluray earlier...I searched the forum and others have complained about this but i don't think I found an answer. I checked for upgrades on both my UHD player and KS tv and they are both up todate. I would like to get this solved before buying more 4K movies.
What am I missing?

thanks
Erick
If a UHD/HDR movie isn't being played in HDR, you'll get a warning to the effect that you ought to connect to an HDR capable TV for the best performance. (I know this from sad experience with a Hisense 50H8C, which didn't support HDR through its HDMI ports when it was initially released.)

King Richard's statements in post 23100 are correct, as always. If you are playing an HDR disk in movie mode, the backlight should automatically go to 20 (the max).

Some people find some HDR movies to be too dark with the default settings. You might get a different result with a different disk. "Pacific Rim" ain't exactly high art, but if you're looking for fireworks with HDR, I suggest that you give it a try.
post #23114 of 36543 Old 02-27-2017, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
So there really is no way to disable to auto dimming on this TV is there? With SmartLED off and Eco options off, this TV still dims to varying degrees in Movie mode, Game mode and PC mode. Really crazy. Wish there was a way to turn that off completely in the service menu or something...
post #23115 of 36543 Old 02-27-2017, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
firmware 1167 is available for download. Has anyone tried this (we can only hope for an HDR game mode)
post #23116 of 36543 Old 02-27-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm80 View Post
firmware 1167 is available for download. Has anyone tried this (we can only hope for an HDR game mode)
Link me. I can test it.
post #23117 of 36543 Old 02-27-2017, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked: 1633
Quote:
Since they are serving up firmware like hotcakes lately, I'll wait until an official version hits my TV. Seems like they need to fix something from the last version which fixes something from the previous version which ....
jeep05, Artman22 and The_Donster like this.
post #23118 of 36543 Old 02-27-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindman View Post
Link me. I can test it.
Here if you are in the USA:
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ow...-tv-ks8-series

I just checked a few hours ago too and it was 1165 still. Download now and will report back.

post #23119 of 36543 Old 02-27-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleOne42 View Post
Here if you are in the USA:
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ow...-tv-ks8-series

I just checked a few hours ago too and it was 1165 still. Download now and will report back.
Thanks for the link. Checked that one and the Korean one. Both still say 1165...
post #23120 of 36543 Old 02-27-2017, 02:26 PM

The samsung live chat guy gave me a link and the txt file in the zip file says 1167. I can't post a link until i've made 5 posts (this is post 2), so please bear with my next 3 posts
post #23121 of 36543 Old 02-27-2017, 02:27 PM

post #23122 of 36543 Old 02-27-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindman View Post
Thanks for the link. Checked that one and the Korean one. Both still say 1165...
Maybe your browser is caching the page. Here is the direct US link:
http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.co.../T-JZMAKUC.zip

Update installed - no change to Game Mode HDR/SDR and no change to DD/DTS changing to PCM for ARC.
The_Donster and mrtickleuk like this.

post #23123 of 36543 Old 02-27-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Thanks. Installed this. No change to Game Mode

Quote:

Update installed - no change to Game Mode HDR/SDR and no change to DD/DTS changing to PCM for ARC.
The US one is definitely 1165. 1167 can be found in the link above yours. Still doesn't fix Game Mode. Starting to run out of hope...
post #23124 of 36543 Old 02-27-2017, 02:57 PM

I can't post the link because I have not made 5 posts (and I guess the moderator did not like me making blank posts). The live chat agent though directed me to the 1167 download (and it says 1167 in the text file)
post #23125 of 36543 Old 02-27-2017, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:

Bubble burst. HDR in Game mode is making me more and more frustrated over time. It wasn't so bad when the only thing I was playing with HDR was UC4 and the Slim and Pro were pretty new, but there's enough HDR stuff out now or coming soon (Horizon!) that it's getting to be a real pain.
post #23126 of 36543 Old 02-27-2017, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good news, guys. 1167 addresses the following:

Quote:
- Improved usability 1. Improved browser performance 2. Improved app performance 3. Improved stability 4. Improved usability of input devices
I very much hate that they don't have any kind of detailed changelog!!! It's the same "notes" each release.
Terminader and mrtickleuk like this.

TV: Samsung UN55KS8000
AV Receiver: Yamaha RX-V685
Front L/R: Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 55 (bi-wire to AVR)
Center: Definitive Technology ProCenter 2000
Subwoofer: Emotiva Ultra 12

Last edited by user9999; 02-27-2017 at 03:24 PM.
post #23127 of 36543 Old 02-27-2017, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by user9999 View Post
Good news, guys. 1167 addresses the following:

I very much hate that they don't have any kind of changelog!!!
Tool tip over the firmware shows the following:

- Improved usability 1. Improved browser performance 2. Improved app performance 3. Improved stability 4. Improved usability of input devices

Wish they had something in the zip.
post #23128 of 36543 Old 02-27-2017, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 588
Someone try a LG DV demo!
Version number increment is too small so I doubt there is anything big.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #23129 of 36543 Old 02-27-2017, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Question about the YouTube App. When viewing a 4K video the stats window says the Dimensions are 1920x1080*2. Is that how it should be displaying 4K? Why doesn't it just display 3840x2160?
post #23130 of 36543 Old 02-27-2017, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Anyone having an issue playing PS4 pro with this tv where the colors go out of wack for a second and things on screen shift out of place and back in? I tried newer more expensive cables but didn't seem to help. Didn't have this issue with my other tv and Ps4 pro. Wondering if it's a known issue or something we are waiting to get fixed in a update?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
denon s740h , extra , hdmi input , KS8000/KS8500 , no picture , one connect fail , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page