Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 803 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 179940Likes

post #24061 of 36638 Old 03-22-2017, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorBlade_91 View Post
Good to know. I already thought that my led panel is defective!

Maybe it's a bug in firmware?
Maybe. I am running FW 1167. I never noticed this when I was on 1165. But then again, I didn't LOOK for it either. Maybe someone who is still on 1165 can chime in and let us know if they are experiencing the 14-16 back light plateau.

Last edited by dshmel; 03-22-2017 at 09:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24062 of 36638 Old 03-22-2017, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcent007 View Post
Question, I recently purchased a 49ks8000 and have 2 strange issues. When I turn on the TV on the cable input the TV flashes purple and green and is distorted before showing a picture. I tried swapping HDMI cables and still the same issue. Second the TV makes a loud vibrating sound when ever there is a low or a high frequency sound. The TV is wall mounted and I have tried fooling around with the equalizer but it still vibrates on all inputs. Has anyone else experienced these issues? I am still in the return policy, should I exchange?
Don't know about the sound issue, but I've had the purple/green start-up screen for several days now, ever since I upgraded to the 1167 firmware. I just called Samsung tech support on it and they had me first disconnect the cable box (Dish Network Hopper3, in my case) and then, with the TV turned on, unplug it and wait 30 seconds before plugging it back in. The purple/green screen was gone and still gone when I re-connected the Hopper3. Let's hope it sticks.
post #24063 of 36638 Old 03-22-2017, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzter View Post
You're the second now to recommend the Amazon cables. I guess I'll pick up some of these.
I thought I saw something about "Blue Jeans" cables, too, but can't find it.

I have some heavy duty braided HDMI cables I got from Monoprice, but like I was saying, they're several years old now, so I don't think they are the new kind--better safe... I'll just pick up some new ones. Thanks!
Monoprice sells HDMI Premium *CERTIFIED* cables for about the same price as Amazon Hi-Speed. I'd get them instead. My experience with PS4 Pro is that Amazon's cables are good, but Monoprice's are better. Fewer peak-performance issues. 4K 4:4:4 output from the Pro and X1 S saturates cables at 18 Gbps and good cables and short runs = fewer blackouts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24064 of 36638 Old 03-22-2017, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by urgru View Post
Monoprice sells HDMI Premium *CERTIFIED* cables for about the same price as Amazon Hi-Speed. I'd get them instead. My experience with PS4 Pro is that Amazon's cables are good, but Monoprice's are better. Fewer peak-performance issues. 4K 4:4:4 output from the Pro and X1 S saturates cables at 18 Gbps and good cables and short runs = fewer blackouts.
Out of stock right now in the 3 ft runs, which is all I need. Everything sits right in the TV stand. Picked up some of the Amazon cables for now, and will pick up some Monoprice cables later once available and try those.
May try some experiments with what I just have lying around, too.

Looking to pick up a Samsung UBD-K8500 4K Blu-Ray Player as well (not that I have any loyalty to it... just seems to be the only affordable option right now, apart from the XBox which seemingly has several limitations.) Doesn't look like the player comes with a cable, so I'm glad I'm picking up these. Hope this thing works. :\
post #24065 of 36638 Old 03-22-2017, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminader View Post
The Guide pdf is on the first post of this thread.
Got it. And thanks Terminader for your help and input to this thread!(and others I'm sure)
Terminader and The_Donster like this.
post #24066 of 36638 Old 03-22-2017, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Out of stock right now in the 3 ft runs, which is all I need. Everything sits right in the TV stand. Picked up some of the Amazon cables for now, and will pick up some Monoprice cables later once available and try those.

Looking to pick up a Samsung UBD-K8500 4K Blu-Ray Player as well (not that I have any loyalty to it... just seems to be the only affordable option right now, apart from the XBox which seemingly has several limitations.) Doesn't look like the player comes with a cable, so I'm glad I'm picking up these. Hope this thing works. :\

What were the XBox's limitations?
post #24067 of 36638 Old 03-22-2017, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked: 1256
Quote:

The folks at Lumagen, who make superb video processors, recommend minimum 6' cables. According to them, current HDMI output chips boost the signal enough for 6-10' cable runs and using shorter cables can result in a hotter than necessary signal to the target device. Not saying they are right or wrong, but with expensive gear, I don't want to chance it. Just food for thought...
NHAudiofan and King Richard like this.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931

Last edited by Rolls-Royce; 03-22-2017 at 01:29 PM.
post #24068 of 36638 Old 03-22-2017, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by multicore View Post
Don't know about the sound issue, but I've had the purple/green start-up screen for several days now, ever since I upgraded to the 1167 firmware. I just called Samsung tech support on it and they had me first disconnect the cable box (Dish Network Hopper3, in my case) and then, with the TV turned on, unplug it and wait 30 seconds before plugging it back in. The purple/green screen was gone and still gone when I re-connected the Hopper3. Let's hope it sticks.

Thank you for your help. Has anyone else experienced issue with their TV speakers who have the TV mounted? The vibration is vey loud and distracting? Could the speakers be shot or is it because the TV is so thin? Thank you.
post #24069 of 36638 Old 03-22-2017, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by layzzzee8 View Post
You just need to get used to watching SDR content with the backlight at 8. If you are watching it any higher than that HDR will look darker.
Then explain why everyone elses image is brighter? Or ok ok, lets do this, how many people in here can confirm this.....while gaming in HDR, is HDR as bright as NON hdr while gaming? because i know the brightness is extremely low and when i played RE7 on my pc paird with a gtx 1080, it looks HORRIBLE. no hdr
post #24070 of 36638 Old 03-22-2017, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizzy212 View Post
Then explain why everyone elses image is brighter? Or ok ok, lets do this, how many people in here can confirm this.....while gaming in HDR, is HDR as bright as NON hdr while gaming? because i know the brightness is extremely low and when i played RE7 on my pc paird with a gtx 1080, it looks HORRIBLE. no hdr
I don't game. All I know is that if you watch SDR at anything higher than 8 then HDR will look darker. To counteract this people usually turn dynamic contrast on. Also double check your ECO settings to make sure they are all off.
King Richard likes this.
post #24071 of 36638 Old 03-22-2017, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've read the pdf and working my way through this thread. My 65" will be here this Saturday and connecting it to an Onkyo TX-NR656. My plan is to run everything through the AVR. For my Xbox One S and PS4, I saw about changing to game mode and all the settings to get HDR working. When playing a non HDR game do I need to change those settings back? The wife is already going to be thrilled she has to remember to change to game mode, if I tell her she needs to change settings depending on if her game is HDR or not, she really will not be happy. I'll just have to remind her, it was her idea to replace the 67" Samsung DLP with a new TV.
post #24072 of 36638 Old 03-22-2017, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonestarROB View Post
Quote:
PS4 Pro. Resolution 2060p, rgb color limited, everything else automatic.

And since I have PS4 rgb color in limited, o have tv hdmi black level set to low instead of normal. And ofc game mode enabled.
Ok, I figured it out. I had to switch Xbox One S setting to 8-Bit ( was 10-Bit ) and I can change the HDMI Black level now. So..... Fellow Xbox One S owners, what is the "best"/correct settings for the Xbox? I thought I read on here to use 10-Bit? And what about Color Space. Should it be set to Standard or PC/RGB?

Thanks in advance.

Rob
Xbox must be set to 8 bits of you want 4k rgb. It will switch to 10 bits for hdr automatically
LonestarROB likes this.
post #24073 of 36638 Old 03-22-2017, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked: 1647
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcent007 View Post
Thank you for your help. Has anyone else experienced issue with their TV speakers who have the TV mounted? The vibration is vey loud and distracting? Could the speakers be shot or is it because the TV is so thin? Thank you.
No issues and happy with their relative performance. Have you tried the different sound settings for wall mounted or stand?
The_Donster likes this.
post #24074 of 36638 Old 03-22-2017, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizzy212 View Post
For me, it depends on the backlight settings. If I have the backlight set to 20, then hdr vs non-hdr have the same maximum brightness. The difference is the areas that are in shadows are slightly brighter and the colors look more washed out for non-hdr. There's a bigger contrast between light and dark with hdr. The peak brightness, like staring at the sun doesn't change. This is in "Obduction." That's the only hdr game I've played.
post #24075 of 36638 Old 03-22-2017, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by rckrz6 View Post
Xbox must be set to 8 bits of you want 4k rgb. It will switch to 10 bits for hdr automatically
So the Xbox should be set to 8 bit , PC/RGB and the TV HDMI Black Level to Normal?

Then when I pop in an HDR game like Wildlands, the xbox will automatically switch to 10 bit?

Am I correct?
post #24076 of 36638 Old 03-22-2017, 04:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rckrz6 View Post
So the Xbox should be set to 8 bit , PC/RGB and the TV HDMI Black Level to Normal?

Then when I pop in an HDR game like Wildlands, the xbox will automatically switch to 10 bit?

Am I correct?
That will work. Or use standard rgb with the tv set to low or auto
LonestarROB likes this.
post #24077 of 36638 Old 03-22-2017, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
So, I have a slight back panel separation on the bottom right corner of my KS8000. I have read this is a common defect with these TVs. I have tried pushing it back into place to no avail. It is minor enough not to be bothersome, and I'm not sure if I want to even go through the trouble of calling Samsung and having them come out. My only question is if I should be worried about dust accumulating in there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170322_183106.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	2043569  
chodalad likes this.

Last edited by ktm19; 03-22-2017 at 05:00 PM.
post #24078 of 36638 Old 03-22-2017, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 588
Quote:

Am I correct?

Games are only 8-bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LonestarROB likes this.
post #24079 of 36638 Old 03-22-2017, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked: 1647
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkhwkz View Post
I've read the pdf and working my way through this thread. My 65" will be here this Saturday and connecting it to an Onkyo TX-NR656. My plan is to run everything through the AVR. For my Xbox One S and PS4, I saw about changing to game mode and all the settings to get HDR working. When playing a non HDR game do I need to change those settings back? The wife is already going to be thrilled she has to remember to change to game mode, if I tell her she needs to change settings depending on if her game is HDR or not, she really will not be happy. I'll just have to remind her, it was her idea to replace the 67" Samsung DLP with a new TV.
The OCB remembers the video settings by HDMI port. Is using the OCB instead of the AVR for some sources not an option for you?
post #24080 of 36638 Old 03-22-2017, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmacmil View Post
Ordered the 60" model today. They are on sale everywhere for essentially the same price as the 55". I'm sure my wife will think it's too big (it's replacing an 11 year old 50" Sony LCD rear projection) but I know I will love it. Should see it in about a week.
My girlfriend hated the size of our 55 inch and the settings I used at first (I like higher judder reduction). Now she critiques everything else/loves the tv and settings...moral is, size and settings matter. What "she" thinks is best in relation to a discerning consumer like yourself is...irrelevant
post #24081 of 36638 Old 03-22-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercennarius View Post
What were the XBox's limitations?
Limited audio output capabilities, and I'm reading some video limitations, though I cannot regurgitate the technical details. There's a pretty good thread on UHD players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
The folks at Lumagen, who make superb video processors, recommend minimum 6' cables. According to them, current HDMI output chips boost the signal enough for 6-10' cable runs and using shorter cables can result in a hotter than necessary signal to the target device. Not saying they are right or wrong, but with expensive gear, I don't want to chance it. Just food for thought...
Thanks for the info -- I picked up a few more 6's.
post #24082 of 36638 Old 03-22-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm19 View Post
So, I have a slight back panel separation on the bottom right corner of my KS8000. I have read this is a common defect with these TVs. I have tried pushing it back into place to no avail. It is minor enough not to be bothersome, and I'm not sure if I want to even go through the trouble of calling Samsung and having them come out. My only question is if I should be worried about dust accumulating in there.
I had same issue. When they came out to fix it they laid the tv down screen first and applied a good amount of pressure to the back to "click" it into place(thought they were going to break it to be honest). The other side of my tv had same issue but I fixed it myself with a little pressure. When you apply pressure make sure it's a little further back than the edge, this seems to be where the tabs are located.

Before it was fixed below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1012.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	2043705   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1013.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	265.3 KB
ID:	2043713  
ktm19 and King Richard like this.

Last edited by chodalad; 03-22-2017 at 05:56 PM.
post #24083 of 36638 Old 03-22-2017, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Do you have HDMI UHD COLOR activated on your HDMI port?

I have a 55ks8500. i too have this. the HDMI black level is greyed out and default is auto.
I went into HDMI UHD Color. For each hdmi port i turned them all on. Only have on / off choice.
I only have 3 things active, Cable/Roku/Android. but turned them all on just in case.
HDMI Black Level is still greyed out.

This was on regular HD cable tho. Just tried something, loaded up a youtube UHD 4k video and had a look at the settings.
The black level is still greyed out but this time it says low. how the heck can i change it from the auto setting?
post #24084 of 36638 Old 03-22-2017, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminader View Post
No issues and happy with their relative performance. Have you tried the different sound settings for wall mounted or stand?

I have and tried all the different sound settings. I guess I should exchange since I'm still in the return policy. I thought maybe it had to do with the vibration on the screws mounting the unit.
post #24085 of 36638 Old 03-22-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chodalad View Post
I had same issue. When they came out to fix it they laid the tv down screen first and applied a good amount of pressure to the back to "click" it into place(thought they were going to break it to be honest). The other side of my tv had same issue but I fixed it myself with a little pressure. When you apply pressure make sure it's a little further back than the edge, this seems to be where the tabs are located.

Before it was fixed below.

Thanks. I gave it another shot. I seemed to have clicked it into place somewhat, enough so that there is no more light bleed, but the very bottom is still not entirely clipped into place. I think the way I have it now though may be good enough.
chodalad likes this.

Last edited by ktm19; 03-22-2017 at 06:29 PM.
post #24086 of 36638 Old 03-22-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I gave it another shot. I seemed to have clicked it into place somewhat, enough so that there is no more light bleed, but the very bottom is still not entirely clipped into place. I think the way I have it now though may be good enough.
If there is no light bleed I think you are good. Do you feel "give" at the bottom?
post #24087 of 36638 Old 03-22-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chodalad View Post
If there is no light bleed I think you are good. Do you feel "give" at the bottom?
Yeah, there is still some give at the bottom, but it is better than before. If it holds and stays the way it is now, I'm not going to bother calling Samsung, but if it comes undone I guess I will just call them and have them come out and fix it.
post #24088 of 36638 Old 03-22-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Yeah, there is still some give at the bottom, but it is better than before. If it holds and stays the way it is now, I'm not going to bother calling Samsung, but if it comes undone I guess I will just call them and have them come out and fix it.
Here is the fastest way to get service from Samsung/if you go to their level 2 tech support it will take a while to get it fixed (its what happened to me till I figured this trick out). When you call tech support ask for a "4k" ticket. This is a service ticket and tell them your ok incurring the 55 dollar cost if it is not a warranty issue. This will get you a tech out with in a week usually . I have never incurred the 55 dollar cost and they have been out several times for issues with my set.
joetech, fizzter and ktm19 like this.
post #24089 of 36638 Old 03-22-2017, 07:15 PM

Didn't see this in the guide. Can someone that has their TV on the little legs on a TV stand measure how high it is off of the stand? I just want to know how much soundbar clearance there is. Thanks
post #24090 of 36638 Old 03-22-2017, 07:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2395 Post(s)
Liked: 1703
Quote:
Didn't see this in the guide. Can someone that has their TV on the little legs on a TV stand measure how high it is off of the stand? I just want to know how much soundbar clearance there is. Thanks
Which model?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
denon s740h , extra , hdmi input , KS8000/KS8500 , no picture , one connect fail , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page