Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 861 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 179955Likes

post #25801 of 36667 Old 05-07-2017, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1652 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinky Cut Fries View Post
I'll try that now, but in regards to Dynamic Contrast, isn't that best to just keep it off? I thought that just added unnecessary filters to the image quality and was better left off. Unless this should be on when only viewing HDR content?

I like it. Pause a frame with some dark and light areas and then try all the different Dynamic Contrast to see what it is doing and which one you like. Test to compare it for both regular shows and HDR versus just defaulting to same setting for both because they can be different under HDR.
hdtv00, jeep05, Terminader and 3 others like this.

Last edited by checker9; 05-07-2017 at 12:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25802 of 36667 Old 05-07-2017, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by checker9 View Post
I like it. Pause a frame with some dark and light areas and then try all the different Dynamic Contrast to see what it is doing and which one you like. Test to compare it for both regular shows and HDR versus just defaulting to same setting for both because they can be different under HDR.
Alright, so I did a few tests today in regards to Dynamic Contrast. Last night I viewed Sandy Wexler with the same settings, but Dynamic Contrast off and it looked great, with some dark scenes as I explained in my earlier post. Today, I watched The Lego Movie off Amazon Prime and I decided to turn on Dynamic Contrast and see the difference, and I absolutely loved it on high. It was weird because when it's low it adds a minor increase in brightness, medium does it even a bit more but makes it look washed out, and when it's on high, it actually lowers the brightness and makes the image look prettier and "pop" out more but not too much while not making the image look washed out...

I went back to the same scenes from Sandy Wexler I thought was strange; again in my previous post but this time with Dynamic Contrast on high and viola it's gone! Marco Polo looks even better! Secret Life of Pets looks gorgeous! So all in all, I feel I'll just keep Dynamic Contrast at high for HDR content and content without it. I just bought my Pro today, so it's all hooked up and ready to go, I have everything set to automatic in the settings for the Pro and I'm about to boot up Horizon and see how this looks. So far I'm loving this TV and I'm glad I went with this set.
King Richard likes this.
post #25803 of 36667 Old 05-07-2017, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1652 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinky Cut Fries View Post
Alright, so I did a few tests today in regards to Dynamic Contrast. Last night I viewed Sandy Wexler with the same settings, but Dynamic Contrast off and it looked great, with some dark scenes as I explained in my earlier post. Today, I watched The Lego Movie off Amazon Prime and I decided to turn on Dynamic Contrast and see the difference, and I absolutely loved it on high. It was weird because when it's low it adds a minor increase in brightness, medium does it even a bit more but makes it look washed out, and when it's on high, it actually lowers the brightness and makes the image look prettier and "pop" out more but not too much while not making the image look washed out...

I went back to the same scenes from Sandy Wexler I thought was strange; again in my previous post but this time with Dynamic Contrast on high and viola it's gone! Marco Polo looks even better! Secret Life of Pets looks gorgeous! So all in all, I feel I'll just keep Dynamic Contrast at high for HDR content and content without it. I just bought my Pro today, so it's all hooked up and ready to go, I have everything set to automatic in the settings for the Pro and I'm about to boot up Horizon and see how this looks. So far I'm loving this TV and I'm glad I went with this set.
I noticed the same thing. On HDR, 'High' Dynamic Contrast is actually closer to 'Off' than 'low' or 'medium' but it cleans up the picture as far a making contrasting areas stand out.
King Richard likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25804 of 36667 Old 05-07-2017, 10:57 PM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
I think it's a translation issue. There are only 3 options. None of the options do what you (and I!) want.
  1. Off = the light is always off.
  2. Power On = the light is on when the TV is turned on (and off when the TV is in Standby mode)
  3. Always = the light is always on.

When I first got the TV I also thought the middle option would only show the light for a short time when you turned the TV on. But sadly, it doesn't do that.
That's really funny. I've had this TV since near-release and assumed along similar lines. And I've always wondered why on earth anyone would want option 3 ("Always on")???
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #25805 of 36667 Old 05-07-2017, 11:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Liked: 1650
Quote:
Originally Posted by pg22 View Post
That's really funny. I've had this TV since near-release and assumed along similar lines. And I've always wondered why on earth anyone would want option 3 ("Always on")???
Nightlight?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
King Richard and mrtickleuk like this.
post #25806 of 36667 Old 05-07-2017, 11:24 PM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminader View Post
Nightlight?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
pfsh.

now that is some bias lighting.
post #25807 of 36667 Old 05-08-2017, 02:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Samsung really needs to consider allowing LED Clear Motion in Game Mode. Also, it'd be GREAT if Game Mode would save different settings between HDR and SDR. I don't like the backlight at 20 for SDR, while I do for HDR. Having to constantly adjust backlight depending on content gets annoying.

Oh, yes, don't be like me and use the Expendables 3 for reference UHD disc. I made that mistake not knowing the movie is completely screwed up in black levels compared to literally everything else.

On a 65KS8500.
DaiKami and almost too old like this.

Mad Lust Envy

Last edited by Raven Crimson; 05-08-2017 at 02:28 AM.
post #25808 of 36667 Old 05-08-2017, 04:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
65KS8000 wall mounting bolts (M8 Vesa)

Hi Guys,
I am now the proud owner of a 65KS8000, which sadly is not yet on my existing wall mount.

The manual (UK) states a very specific 11mm M8 bolt which was not supplied and does not exist when googled.
I have ordered some 12mm from ebay. The top bolts go into the spacers, the bottom straight into the TV. I note 45mm are mentioned in this thread but maybe due to the US model.
Anyone else had trouble locating the specified bolts? I'd like some comfort given I'm hanging 25 kilos or so on four very short bolts, and too long has it's own issues.
Thanks in advance
Mark
post #25809 of 36667 Old 05-08-2017, 05:59 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 70
My issue with HDR

I am still playing ans learning and enjoying the nice picture quality of the 800D.

I have an issue however with HDR. While watching Planet Earth as (MKVs source), I found in multiple scenes were colors are not natural.

I am coming from an Panasonic G20 Plasma and I love the naturalness of Plasma's TV colors, but I also like live colors of the 800D. When watching SDR I have found (so far) the settings I used as depicted bellow are nice for me, but for HDR, even using the same settings, some scenes really look artificial.

For example, grass don't shine in real life and some animals look like are using high gloss/glow lipstick #Funny. There are scenes however the colors looks nice, but mostly, I don't like it too much (yet).

Its there is a way to improve my HDR setting so that I can benefit the high dynamic range/contrast while preserving the naturalness of colors?

As a side note, I played back some pictures form my NAS of a family trip, and men... what a beautiful display of vivid & natural colors.

My SDR settings
Backlight: 6
Brightness: 45
Contrast: 95
Sharpness: 0
Color: 50
Tint: 50/50
Digital Clean View: Off
Auto Motion Plus: Custom: Blur: 2, Judder: 2
Smart LED: High
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Color Tone: Warm 2
White Balance: Factory Defaults
Gamma: 0
Color Space: Native

My HDR Settings
Backlight: 20
Brightness: 45
Contrast: 95
Sharpness: 0
Color: 50
Tint: 50/50
Digital Clean View: Off
Auto Motion Plus: Custom: Blur: 2, Judder: 2
Smart LED: High
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Color Tone: Warm 2
White Balance: Factory Defaults
Gamma: 0
Color Space: Native

More side notes:

I have found that with Smart LED in High, although increase the glow effect when logos, texts and other alone pics are shown (its not FALD, right?)... it produced deep blacks... so, I traded off for the black... I am working on my OCD however with those glows and shaded areas.

Also, I found that although Dynamic Contrast in High helps to "pop up" some scenes, it does it at the expense of changing naturalness of colors... like for example, changing skin color in a test I made with Cirque Du Soleli - Worlds Away "movie". Skin looked more natural with it in off.

Last edited by jm10; 05-08-2017 at 06:10 AM. Reason: more side notes
post #25810 of 36667 Old 05-08-2017, 06:25 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Use Auto Color Space.. Native is what is giving you an unnatural look. I would recommend that you look into using 2pt W/B to fine tune your colors.

post #25811 of 36667 Old 05-08-2017, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Mount Needed

Hey guys, I am a bit of a quandary. I will soon wall mount my KS658000 (when the contractors finally finish the new room) but I'm having difficulty finding the right mount. I had the contractor install a power/HDMI box on the wall which of course is on a stud about center of where I want the TV. The studs are 16" on center which means I need a back plate with holes at least 32" end to end. I found a Mount-It model on Amazon that is 33 1/2" wide but it doesn't appear the end holes are quite at 32" center to center. Basically I will need to hit 3 studs to make sure the weight of the TV is properly balanced on the mount. Any suggestions for mounts that will do that? I did a search in this thread but did not find what I need. BTW, I want a tilting mount and not looking for a full motion/articulating model. Thanks!

Last edited by oldnavycdr; 05-08-2017 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Clarify
post #25812 of 36667 Old 05-08-2017, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm10 View Post
Its there is a way to improve my HDR setting so that I can benefit the high dynamic range/contrast while preserving the naturalness of colors?
I have basically the main core settings as you and I'm also coming off a plasma (and still use one in our bedroom), with a couple of tweaks:

-I have Brightness set at 40 instead of 45. Makes an appreciable difference for blacks generally.

-For DirecTV or general TV (720p/1080i) viewing, I don't use Smart LED for the same reason you are having OCD. I have it on for other sources (anything 4K or upscaled DVD/Blu-Rays)

-When watching HDR, I have Dynamic Contrast at Medium. At least on my set it's a must to use it for HDR only. Off is way too drab, just does not look right. High looks blown out, but either Medium or Low looks good for HDR. There are some UHD's I've watched that absolutely seem to need it.

-I don't use Dynamic Contrast for SDR -- for upscaling Blu-Rays, I do set the Backlight up a notch or two (say 8 instead of 6). Gives a little more "oomph" to the picture so it's not as dialed back, while not making alterations to colors, etc. as Dynamic Contrast does with SDR content. Might seem like a little tweak but I seem to like it. I did toy with using Dynamic Contrast on upscaled Blu-Rays but found pushing up the backlight a little seem to be as satisfying while not changing the image as much.

-Color Space is best left at Auto. Native does seem too saturated on certain things depending on the source.

Overall I'm still working at getting the settings down pat but I'd at least try lowering the brightness a few notches, which will help get closer to what you are looking for. One thing I've learned is just a small tweak here or there can make a big difference.
Terminader, jm10 and King Richard like this.
post #25813 of 36667 Old 05-08-2017, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
turn off picture during music playback

is there a way to turn off the picture during music play back from Amazon prime music? The instructions I found from samsung don't seem to apply to this model, as there is no picture off setting in the picture menu ...
post #25814 of 36667 Old 05-08-2017, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
So I upgraded my internet from 25 to 60 and streaming ultra hd hdr content on amazon still looks bad. A youtube 4k hdr video is crystal clear when compared to streaming. Is this just something you have to deal with?
post #25815 of 36667 Old 05-08-2017, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejones77 View Post
So I upgraded my internet from 25 to 60 and streaming ultra hd hdr content on amazon still looks bad. A youtube 4k hdr video is crystal clear when compared to streaming. Is this just something you have to deal with?

HDR via Amazon looks great. What issues you are seeing that make it "bad"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Terminader likes this.
post #25816 of 36667 Old 05-08-2017, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiler View Post
1. I mean like the background picture when it's asking for a source, it's like a snowy black frame (like older tv's when the antenna was out). It looks fine when I go into netflix, etc (I'm on a 100mbps connection).

2. Ah I see, I figured when you went to check it'd give you the latest update, didn't know they roll them out to certain tv's and make others wait, seems weird.

3. I tried movie mode, using Rtings and AV forums and others settings for this mode, the picture almost always came out looking quite dim and a lot of times colors were washed out looking, whites looked gray'ish, etc. In dynamic mode colors don't look washed out at all, everything looked vibrant and popped, whites were super white, reds were super red, etc. I didn't notice any lost detail in blacks, maybe I will have to give it another go tomorrow and see about the crushed blacks.
Saying you like Dynamic Mode on this forum is like telling a 5-star chef that you want your steak cooked well done...it's frowned upon. If you like Dynamic Mode and think it's a good way to show off your new TV...go with it! There is some 4k stuff on on YouTube that looks pretty cool in Dynamic Mode...I use it sometimes, too. Try pausing a 4K/HDR video and taking a photo of the same image in all 4 modes...then scroll those photos and see what you like.

The argument for Movie Mode is that it is the best way to show what the film maker is intending you to see. If something else looks better to you and you are enjoying your TV in a different mode, go for it!
post #25817 of 36667 Old 05-08-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_IV View Post
HDR via Amazon looks great. What issues you are seeing that make it "bad"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pixelated/blurry backgrounds
especially dark colors
same thing with the cable tv and streaming
post #25818 of 36667 Old 05-08-2017, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wick01 View Post
Hi Guys,
I am now the proud owner of a 65KS8000, which sadly is not yet on my existing wall mount.

The manual (UK) states a very specific 11mm M8 bolt which was not supplied and does not exist when googled.
I have ordered some 12mm from ebay. The top bolts go into the spacers, the bottom straight into the TV. I note 45mm are mentioned in this thread but maybe due to the US model.
Anyone else had trouble locating the specified bolts? I'd like some comfort given I'm hanging 25 kilos or so on four very short bolts, and too long has it's own issues.
Thanks in advance
Mark
Had to go to a fastener company that had a sales counter.
post #25819 of 36667 Old 05-08-2017, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Bolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky7 View Post
Had to go to a fastener company that had a sales counter.
Thanks, sorry, I should have read it properly, the manual states 11mm of bolt required for the TV itself, PLUS what is required for the bracket, I've found some 15mm bolts, I may have to add a washer depending how flush the bracket fits.
post #25820 of 36667 Old 05-08-2017, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 1966 Post(s)
Liked: 3270
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnagyg View Post
is there a way to turn off the picture during music play back from Amazon prime music? The instructions I found from samsung don't seem to apply to this model, as there is no picture off setting in the picture menu ...
You can only turn off the picture when using the TV's DLNA system to play back music...not when streaming content via the apps. The app developer would have to provide that option within the app's settings menu.
King Richard and gnagyg like this.

Definition of "Stupid": Knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the lies.
post #25821 of 36667 Old 05-08-2017, 02:16 PM

I also got a new cable box to see if it helps with the picture looking blurry and pixelated but it looks worse, are there any other settings I can try to make it look better
edit:
I found someone streaming on twitch that there video looked like the problem I am having with my picture. Blurry/pixelated. It looks the same as when I watch cable tv or stream non 4k content
https://clips.twitch.tv/ObservantPeppyInternKreygasm

Last edited by mikejones77; 05-08-2017 at 02:47 PM.
post #25822 of 36667 Old 05-08-2017, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wick01 View Post
Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance
Mark
Not sure if the UK model is different from the US version (I can't imagine it is)....but I purchased these bolts to use instead. Mounted fine with these.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #25823 of 36667 Old 05-08-2017, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 5092 Post(s)
Liked: 7420
Quote:
Originally Posted by adkloza View Post
Not sure if the UK model is different from the US version (I can't imagine it is)
Well, it is! The numbers are different, thanks to Samsung being geniuses.

If he's got the UK KS8000, that's the USA KS9000, and therefore if it says 11mm M8 for that models it really means 11mm M8 .

Not the 45mm M8 that you and I have with our UK KS7000/USA KS8000s. That would be 34mm too long!
almost too old likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #25824 of 36667 Old 05-08-2017, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Anyone in here regret purchase based on inability to watch dolby vision titles?

I do think i would prefer PQ of this samsung over a P series, but given so many netflix titles are mastered with dolby id feel im missing out.

I found a really good deal on a curved 55" refurb on walmart, only thing stopping me from hitting buy is no dolby lol.
post #25825 of 36667 Old 05-08-2017, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
Anyone in here regret purchase based on inability to watch dolby vision titles?

I do think i would prefer PQ of this samsung over a P series, but given so many netflix titles are mastered with dolby id feel im missing out.

I found a really good deal on a curved 55" refurb on walmart, only thing stopping me from hitting buy is no dolby lol.
Once HDR10+ launches and offer similar dynamic HDR performance the gap will close quickly.
I love my KS8500 one of the best displays I have ever owned.
You can find some killer deals at Sam's Club and best buy on the 55". I have seen them both for under a grand.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
post #25826 of 36667 Old 05-08-2017, 03:17 PM

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Refurbish...0FXZA/55485760

Ya, i should probably buy that eh?
post #25827 of 36667 Old 05-08-2017, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's a hell of a deal. I paid that for my 49" a few weeks ago.
I also own a Sony X900E, but have switched over to the KS8500 as my main gaming display.

post #25828 of 36667 Old 05-08-2017, 03:24 PM

Ya even tho im mostly a PC gamer, i may have to get an xbox one if i grab this samsung, it really does look good on this set. (watched quite a few videos so far)
post #25829 of 36667 Old 05-08-2017, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ya even tho im mostly a PC gamer, i may have to get an xbox one if i grab this samsung, it really does look good on this set. (watched quite a few videos so far)
The HDR on this set is pretty impressive. I played through a bit of GOW4 on the Sony and the difference was substantial when I made the switch.
PS4 Pro on the other hand with Horizon, they have set the benchmark on HDR and consoles.

Last edited by Dr.Shankenstein; 05-08-2017 at 03:32 PM.
post #25830 of 36667 Old 05-08-2017, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2413 Post(s)
Liked: 1712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post
Once HDR10+ launches and offer similar dynamic HDR performance the gap will close quickly.
I love my KS8500 one of the best displays I have ever owned.
You can find some killer deals at Sam's Club and best buy on the 55". I have seen them both for under a grand.

It's not clear to me whether HDR10+ on the HDMI ports will be available without HDMI 2.1.

I'd bet that HDMI 2.1 will never be available on the 2016 KS models.

It's possible that some streaming content will support HDR10+, but I'd much prefer discs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
denon s740h , extra , hdmi input , KS8000/KS8500 , no picture , one connect fail , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page