Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 867 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 180066Likes

post #25981 of 36873 Old 05-13-2017, 03:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
IR universal remotes for 65" un65ks800dfxza?

Hi, just joined the forum, my retired father bought a un65ks800dfxza Samsung TV, haven't really set it up yet, but I did see the remote and heard some things on the net, so I'm hoping someone here could help clear some things up, or if I need to post this in a different forum. My fathers fingers are very calloused and my mother who watches and uses the TV alot, (the samunge is replacing a older sharp aquos) has very arthritic fingers, severly affecting her dexterity. And well, after experiencing the volume and channel buttons, I have to say the design is pretty idiotic from a ergonomics perspective. I read somewhere the 65" un65ks800dfxza actually can use a IR universal remote, which would be great for my mother's fingers and probably my father's too. Is this true, or can the TV only be controlled thro bluetooth?
My mother has no experience with bluetooth so hopefully once it's synched the batteries last long enough that it won't be a issue trying to resynch. And if a IR Universal remote can't be used, what's a good more "standard designed remote that will work, that's not over $80? They aren't planning on using any of the "apps" or smart features.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25982 of 36873 Old 05-13-2017, 03:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Quoted: 5362 Post(s)
Liked: 7747
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post
I know I am very late to the 8000/8500 family but with all of the discussion on calibration I am planning to do my newly acquired 65KS8000 in the near future and will be happy to share findings regarding the various effects of using the 'processed' settings (like DC). I first have to update my license/software for HDR so it will not be this weekend but I hope to tackle it within the next few weeks (providing I have the time ).

I might even share my full CMS settings as long as people understand that variables exist from sample to sample and using someone else's settings does not = calibrated (but some do get lucky and end up much closer than out of the box presets).

I am a die-hard gamer and accuracy aficionado so I'll likely be doing multiple calibrations for various content (movies & games) and may even toss in some lumen (day/night) calibration (it depends upon the CMS interactions of this display and how tedious it ends up being ).
Welcome! That sounds fantastic, look forward to it. Yes when it comes to HDR of course, for the reasons discussed here it's very difficult.

Since yesterday's DC discussion on both threads, I've changed my Cal-Night-HDR to Smart LED=Low/DC=Medium to reduce the Smart LED blooming.
And I've made a note that for my own HDR settings in other modes, I want either that or Smart LED=High/DC=Off (less processing, but more blooming). It's counter-intuitive how DC interacts because you change those settings in opposite directions

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #25983 of 36873 Old 05-13-2017, 03:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digihorizons View Post
And well, after experiencing the volume and channel buttons, I have to say the design is pretty idiotic from a ergonomics perspective. I read somewhere the 65" un65ks800dfxza actually can use a IR universal remote, which would be great for my mother's fingers and probably my father's too. Is this true, or can the TV only be controlled thro bluetooth?
Welcome. I agree about the problems with the "Smart" remote. It's horrible. But even better than shelling out a lot of money, you don't even need a universal remote. You can use a standard IR Samsung remote, this is much cheaper. The only difference is that it'll only control the TV (and AVR volume via HDMI comments) and won't have the "Smart" functions (ie learning to control your other connected devices).

The EU models come with one as standard. I think any recent Samsung TV remote would control most of the functions.

See >>this post<< and >>this post<< .

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25984 of 36873 Old 05-13-2017, 04:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Angry Samsung TV vs Sony Blu Ray

Hi folks. First time poster and looking for some help.

Ive had a Samsung KS8000 TV for the best part of 9 months. Everything has been working fine until recent weeks when my TV stopped outputting sound from my Sony BDP S490 blu ray player.

The TV is still displaying the picture but no sound. The blu ray player will still output sound via Optical lead direct to my sound bar.

I have checked the blu ray player with another TV and the sound goes through HDMI, no problem.

My set up is Blu ray player connecting to the standard control box via HDMI, in the same way as my cable box and PS4.

I've tried everything. Any advice welcome.
post #25985 of 36873 Old 05-13-2017, 05:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 742 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:
Hi, just joined the forum, my retired father bought a un65ks800dfxza Samsung TV, haven't really set it up yet, but I did see the remote and heard some things on the net, so I'm hoping someone here could help clear some things up, or if I need to post this in a different forum. My fathers fingers are very calloused and my mother who watches and uses the TV alot, (the samunge is replacing a older sharp aquos) has very arthritic fingers, severly affecting her dexterity. And well, after experiencing the volume and channel buttons, I have to say the design is pretty idiotic from a ergonomics perspective. I read somewhere the 65" un65ks800dfxza actually can use a IR universal remote, which would be great for my mother's fingers and probably my father's too. Is this true, or can the TV only be controlled thro bluetooth?
My mother has no experience with bluetooth so hopefully once it's synched the batteries last long enough that it won't be a issue trying to resynch. And if a IR Universal remote can't be used, what's a good more "standard designed remote that will work, that's not over $80? They aren't planning on using any of the "apps" or smart features.
Thanks.
If you are in the states, you can simply go to target or Walmart and pick up a cheap universal remote for around $20.
I have seen them from Sony and RCA and will come with a set of codes from every manufacturer.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
post #25986 of 36873 Old 05-13-2017, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Welcome. I agree about the problems with the "Smart" remote. It's horrible. But even better than shelling out a lot of money, you don't even need a universal remote. You can use a standard IR Samsung remote, this is much cheaper. The only difference is that it'll only control the TV (and AVR volume via HDMI comments) and won't have the "Smart" functions (ie learning to control your other connected devices).

The EU models come with one as standard. I think any recent Samsung TV remote would control most of the functions.

See
Thanks for the links, I'm here in the US, and can't find that remote in the US at all apparently, will have to get it shipped out from the UK or China, wonder why they screwed the US with remotes. A reviewer on amazon mentioned the cable companies universal remote would work with it, I have Cox, and I can't find any info on the net about using it with the remote. Does anyone have any other suggestions of other US stock Samsung remotes that would work with this TV?
post #25987 of 36873 Old 05-13-2017, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post
If you are in the states, you can simply go to target or Walmart and pick up a cheap universal remote for around $20.
I have seen them from Sony and RCA and will come with a set of codes from every manufacturer.

Thanks.
Dr.Shankenstein likes this.
post #25988 of 36873 Old 05-13-2017, 06:01 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Absolutely! I plan to get a professional calibration done, when I've finished my lounge and the paint on the walls is the "final" colour
Booked my cal a while back...getting both sets done in July
mrtickleuk likes this.

UN60HU8550FXZC / UHD w/ SEK-3500U, Arris VIP5662W Whole Home PVR, ONKYO TX-SR353, 4K Apple TV and UBD-K8500 /ZC
UN65KS8000FXZC /SUHD w/Arris VIP5662W Whole Home PVR, Denon AVR-S720W 5.1.2 and UBD-K8500 /ZC
post #25989 of 36873 Old 05-13-2017, 06:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks.
No sweat.

post #25990 of 36873 Old 05-13-2017, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Thanks.
My El Cheapo Harmony 650 IR remote works just fine with this TV.

Last edited by [email protected]; 05-13-2017 at 07:24 AM.
post #25991 of 36873 Old 05-13-2017, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1657 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
My harmony IR remote works just fine with this TV
Have you tried to get into the service menu with it? If so, does it work?
post #25992 of 36873 Old 05-13-2017, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by checker9 View Post
It access all the menu items that a normal user needs to adjust the TV just like the Samsung remote but so much easier and faster.
post #25993 of 36873 Old 05-13-2017, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the links, I'm here in the US, and can't find that remote in the US at all apparently, will have to get it shipped out from the UK or China, wonder why they screwed the US with remotes. A reviewer on amazon mentioned the cable companies universal remote would work with it, I have Cox, and I can't find any info on the net about using it with the remote. Does anyone have any other suggestions of other US stock Samsung remotes that would work with this TV?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-7-f...CQ7hoC5JXw_wcB

post #25994 of 36873 Old 05-13-2017, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2502 Post(s)
Liked: 1780
Quote:
Originally Posted by checker9 View Post
I have a Harmony 700, very similar to the 650.

I have gotten into the service menu with it. (Just looking; I didn't change anything.)

Note: the keys have to be pressed in fairly quick sequence, or the TV won't go into the service menu.
post #25995 of 36873 Old 05-13-2017, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
I ran into the same problem of wanting a traditional IR Samson remote to control our 55" KS800D TV (Costco model).

First, I tried calling the U.S. Samsung parts distributor, J&J International located in New Jersey. I asked whether any recent Samsung IR remote could control our KS8000 series TVs. The sales consultant told me that only the supplied bluetooth remote would work. I reminded her that the European version of our TVs come with both an IR remote and the bluetooth remote, but she still insisted that it wouldn't work.

So, guessing that she was actually incorrect about the IR remote, I took a chance and ordered a Samsung BN59-01223A IR remote from Amazon. Well. the remote arrived and works perfectly with our KS800D. I was also able to use the Samsung BN59-01223A remote to "teach" our Philips Universal Learning remote some extra command buttons that the Philips universal remote missed.

Bottom line, IR remotes work just fine with our KS8000 series TVs. See if you can order a Samsung BN59-01223A IR remote (or a model that's very similar to it) and you should be pleased.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	711YspjPvlL._SY679_.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	2134009  
Spock1234 and mrtickleuk like this.

Last edited by Take Two; 05-13-2017 at 04:32 PM.
post #25996 of 36873 Old 05-13-2017, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take Two View Post
I ran into the same problem of wanting a traditional IR Samson remote to control our 55" KS800D TV (Costco model).

First, I tried calling the U.S. Samsung parts distributor, J&J International located in New Jersey. I asked whether any recent Samsung IR remote could control our KS8000 series TVs. The sales consultant told me that only the supplied bluetooth remote would work. I reminder her that the European version of our TVs come with both an IR remote and the bluetooth remote, but she still insisted that it wouldn't work.
I hate it when people like that lie so blatantly. Good on you for realising. For every one person like you who she speaks to, there'll be many others who will believe her, and either be disappointed or ripped off or both. She should be accountable or at the very least admit she's reading from a script and doesn't have a clue.
Take Two and almost too old like this.

post #25997 of 36873 Old 05-13-2017, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked: 1345
Quote:
I hate it when people like that lie so blatantly. Good on you for realising. For every one person like you who she speaks to, there'll be many others who will believe her, and either be disappointed or ripped off or both. She should be accountable or at the very least admit she's reading from a script and doesn't have a clue.
It's only a lie if the person stating it KNOWS it is. CS agents have scripts they work from. If that script doesn't show any alternatives, they will generally tell you there are none ("sell what you HAVE, don't have what you sell"). It's also part of their limited training to not discuss what their directives are. So *I* wouldn't quite be so hard over on it.
cydeweyz, jeep05 and King Richard like this.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931

Last edited by Rolls-Royce; 05-13-2017 at 12:42 PM.
post #25998 of 36873 Old 05-13-2017, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
He standard remote that came with my 6300 also works with my ks8000. eBay has them for cheap.
King Richard likes this.
post #25999 of 36873 Old 05-13-2017, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
It's only a lie if the person stating it KNOWS it is. CS agents have scripts they work from. If that script doesn't show any alternatives, they will generally tell you there are none ("sell what you HAVE, don't have what you sell"). It's also part of their limited training to not discuss what their directives are. So *I* wouldn't quite be so hard over on it.
For me it hangs on her "insisting" that any other remote would NOT work.

She's free to say "that's not in the information I have". But she didn't do that. She explicitly said it would not work, and that is untrue. It doesn't stand up to the flimsiest of scrutiny - we all know the models are basically the same with minor differences between territories, the idea that the USA model would have all the IR remote circuitry removed, but keep it just for power/standby, is utterly ludicrous. Hence my ire at her
Spock1234 likes this.

post #26000 of 36873 Old 05-13-2017, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Thanks.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0121LNLOM...=IYGJ98XER831M
The_Donster likes this.

Marantz 7702MKII/Outlaw 7140 65" 4k Samsung KS8000
i7 4770K/16 gig 2133/970's SLI 840 PRO SSD
Paradigm Studio v3 100/570/20's/470's/2200 Sub
post #26001 of 36873 Old 05-13-2017, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Sad Samsung discontinued the 8000 Great tv for the price.
Larry Rosenberg likes this.
post #26002 of 36873 Old 05-13-2017, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I think my unit may be defective.... my power light (red led) is blinking slowly (every second or so) but steadily... TV doesn't turn on with the remote and pressing the power button on the TV. Tried power cycling multiple times, and changed the remote in the battery as well. I did search this thread (and others) for this issue, and it sounds like it may be a capacitor issue and/or power management... Is there anything else I need to try before calling in for service? I'm not skilled enough to open it up and look at the board myself...

Truly unfortunate... this was a great set, and I only had it for one month. Even if that's serviced, this doesn't speak highly of the build... may just return it....
post #26003 of 36873 Old 05-14-2017, 03:05 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
So, what is the verdict on the 60" version of the KS8000 then? I know that it has narrower viewing angles (doesn't concern me much), but what does concern me is the dread backlight bleed at the bottom, that so many seem to be experiencing...

I've been using a 55HU7500 (8500 in the US) for the past 3,5 years with which I'm very happy. It has been working overtime all these years, and its unfortunately starting to show 'fatigue' issues - there's a yellowing on the upper center part of the screen which I believe might be related to the heat emanating from the chipset (it uses a fan!). My problem is, the entertainment center I use can accomodate a TV with a max length of 136cm and a few mm. So I'm limited to 60" as the maximum TV size I can buy... And it seems that 2016 was the last year that 60 inch models were available.

The UN60KS8000 (or UE60KS7000 as it is known here in Europe) seems like the best solution to this conundrum. 55 inches is fine, but bigger is always better. However, while this model is still in stock here in Greece, I'm weary of the various issues I have read up online. Specifically the panel separation issue (which is purely cosmetic, and something I could perhaps live with) and the severe backlight bleed at the bottom, where the leds are...

So my question is, are there 60" KS8/7000 owners out there who are happy with their sets with regards to these two points? Is it worth getting or should I hold out for something better in the 60" range, or is that panel size dead and done?
post #26004 of 36873 Old 05-14-2017, 05:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silencer51 View Post
So, what is the verdict on the 60" version of the KS8000 then? I know that it has narrower viewing angles (doesn't concern me much), but what does concern me is the dread backlight bleed at the bottom, that so many seem to be experiencing...

I've been using a 55HU7500 (8500 in the US) for the past 3,5 years with which I'm very happy. It has been working overtime all these years, and its unfortunately starting to show 'fatigue' issues - there's a yellowing on the upper center part of the screen which I believe might be related to the heat emanating from the chipset (it uses a fan!). My problem is, the entertainment center I use can accomodate a TV with a max length of 136cm and a few mm. So I'm limited to 60" as the maximum TV size I can buy... And it seems that 2016 was the last year that 60 inch models were available.

The UN60KS8000 (or UE60KS7000 as it is known here in Europe) seems like the best solution to this conundrum. 55 inches is fine, but bigger is always better. However, while this model is still in stock here in Greece, I'm weary of the various issues I have read up online. Specifically the panel separation issue (which is purely cosmetic, and something I could perhaps live with) and the severe backlight bleed at the bottom, where the leds are...

So my question is, are there 60" KS8/7000 owners out there who are happy with their sets with regards to these two points? Is it worth getting or should I hold out for something better in the 60" range, or is that panel size dead and done?
I have never been a fan of Sharp's VA panels. They have always seemed to have a lower pixel response time and seemed to be more susceptible to stray light bleed compare to even the innolux panels.
Samsung displays sweet spot is usually the 55" and 65".

Terminader likes this.
post #26005 of 36873 Old 05-14-2017, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by silencer51 View Post

I had a 60" and 55" KS8000 and kept the 55", which was more expensive, because it just looked better and the 60" did suffer from the bottom light bleed and flashlighting in a corner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Terminader likes this.
post #26006 of 36873 Old 05-14-2017, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoy View Post
I had a 60" and 55" KS8000 and kept the 55", which was more expensive, because it just looked better and the 60" did suffer from the bottom light bleed and flashlighting in a corner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I had the 60" originally and it was a perfect set. I only jumped up to the 65" when they went on sale during my return period. I lucked out with a perfect 65" and am only recently having some motion stutter/skipping problems on all sources regardless of AMP settings. I have a ticket out with Samsung for it.
Terminader likes this.

Sony XBR-65X930E (w/luminoodle)/Sony UBP-X800M2/Apple TV 4K/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X
Denon AVR-X6200W(Surround/Height)/Emotiva XPA-3(L/C/R)/AC Infinity Aircom T8 x2
DefTech SM 65 x3(L/C/R)/DefTech PM 1000 x4(Surround)/DefTech DI5.5R x4(Atmos/DTS X)
SVS PC-2000 x2(Subs)/Panamax M4300-PM(Main) & MD2(Subs)/Logitech Harmony Elite
post #26007 of 36873 Old 05-14-2017, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamf4i7783 View Post
Was wondering if anyone has came across this issue screen will go black like its switching inputs , sometimes it never does it and sometimes it does it alot.

Sometimes it will fail completly like you have unplugged the hdmi cable

Any ideas or anyone seen this before ?

pretty much like how this is happening in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JKtX8WSXr0
your hdmi cables arent working, get better ones

had the same issue with older cables
King Richard likes this.
post #26008 of 36873 Old 05-14-2017, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjax View Post
Hi folks. First time poster and looking for some help.

Ive had a Samsung KS8000 TV for the best part of 9 months. Everything has been working fine until recent weeks when my TV stopped outputting sound from my Sony BDP S490 blu ray player.

The TV is still displaying the picture but no sound. The blu ray player will still output sound via Optical lead direct to my sound bar.

I have checked the blu ray player with another TV and the sound goes through HDMI, no problem.

My set up is Blu ray player connecting to the standard control box via HDMI, in the same way as my cable box and PS4.

I've tried everything. Any advice welcome.
Check and make sure that under audio > expert settings that your sound output is set to PCM for both HDMI audio settings. Perhaps one of them is set to an audio format that your bluray can't decode?
post #26009 of 36873 Old 05-14-2017, 12:16 PM

I just noticed something when I looked into the box at the TV, it's completely flat, there's no raised bevel?? Is the front of the screen glass? I hope it doesn't have a glare as bad s the old 60" sharp aquos with glass front we currently have that my dad is having trouble with with his vision, that's why he bought the new TV
post #26010 of 36873 Old 05-14-2017, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Thanks.
I pretty much asked the same question about a week ago and didnt get very many responses back here. So I just took a gamble and bought this remote http://www.ebay.com/itm/291857147070...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I can say I really like it and it works well with the tv. Was fairly cheap in price as well.
maglyf likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
denon s740h , extra , hdmi input , KS8000/KS8500 , no picture , one connect fail , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page