Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 871 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 180208Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #26101 of 37001 Old 05-16-2017, 06:27 PM
Member
 
JimT1701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I am on the same firmware as well. It auto updated. I forget what version I was on when things looked good. I wish I had paid attention. Assuming the firmware had anything to do with it at all. It also could be simply I am looking for the blur to be there thus forcing myself to see it in the first place.
JimT1701 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #26102 of 37001 Old 05-16-2017, 09:14 PM
Member
 
ofird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Guys from none us countries are you to able to see hdr content is amazon instant video? All i got washed 1080p for the grand tour...

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
ofird is offline  
post #26103 of 37001 Old 05-17-2017, 01:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mrtickleuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Birmingham, UK - you know, the original one!
Posts: 8,176
Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5673 Post(s)
Liked: 8181
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofird View Post
Guys from none us countries are you to able to see hdr content is amazon instant video? All i got washed 1080p for the grand tour...
Dude, the world is split into more than 2 areas. You're implying it's just "USA" and "non-USA countries"! Amazon have different offerings in many different countries.

Perhaps if you set your own location visible in your settings, people could help a bit more

Here in the UK HDR does work brilliantly on Amazon video, but a slightly different selection of programmes from the USA offering.

_______________
Denon AVR-X4200W, Arcam Alpha 8P; 5.1.4 setup: Mission 702e, M7C1i, 77DS, 731. Rel T5 Sub. Monitor Audio CT165 4 Tops | LG OLED55C8PLA TV | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
mrtickleuk is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #26104 of 37001 Old 05-17-2017, 02:15 AM
Member
 
Wozik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Guys,

do you know if it's possible to output 5.1 sound from the Youtube app?
Wozik is offline  
post #26105 of 37001 Old 05-17-2017, 04:40 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Hi everyone- longtime lurker on this thread and I finally just picked up my 65KS8000 last night at Best Buy (Magnolia). I had a question I'm hoping some of you longer time owners can help me on. Magnolia wanted to sell me a 4-year insurance plan for $180. For anyone not familiar, it basically covers any damage that is not phyiscal (your TV falls off the mount / stand- tough cookies). If it can't be fixed, the cost of the set is given in a credit towards a new set. Based on what everyone here collectively knows about the set and keeping in mind there is the 1 year manufacturer warranty directly from Samsung... do you folks have an opinion on whether it's worth it? Probably worth noting I'm not someone who upgrades TVs regularly, thank you!!
AudioNewGuy is offline  
post #26106 of 37001 Old 05-17-2017, 05:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dr.Shankenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Kansas city
Posts: 2,470
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNewGuy View Post
Hi everyone- longtime lurker on this thread and I finally just picked up my 65KS8000 last night at Best Buy (Magnolia). I had a question I'm hoping some of you longer time owners can help me on. Magnolia wanted to sell me a 4-year insurance plan for $180. For anyone not familiar, it basically covers any damage that is not phyiscal (your TV falls off the mount / stand- tough cookies). If it can't be fixed, the cost of the set is given in a credit towards a new set. Based on what everyone here collectively knows about the set and keeping in mind there is the 1 year manufacturer warranty directly from Samsung... do you folks have an opinion on whether it's worth it? Probably worth noting I'm not someone who upgrades TVs regularly, thank you!!
I used to not buy warranties in the past, but after a few bad experiences of quality control on other displays I have since.
I have had a display go bad in the first 3-4 months and the warranty was invaluable. In my case with best buy they had to do the refund within 6 months and since it was technically under manufacture warranty I got the $180 back on the geek squad warranty as well.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
AudioNewGuy and ralarcon1 like this.

Last edited by Dr.Shankenstein; 05-17-2017 at 06:30 AM.
Dr.Shankenstein is offline  
post #26107 of 37001 Old 05-17-2017, 06:21 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNewGuy View Post
Hi everyone- longtime lurker on this thread and I finally just picked up my 65KS8000 last night at Best Buy (Magnolia). I had a question I'm hoping some of you longer time owners can help me on. Magnolia wanted to sell me a 4-year insurance plan for $180. For anyone not familiar, it basically covers any damage that is not phyiscal (your TV falls off the mount / stand- tough cookies). If it can't be fixed, the cost of the set is given in a credit towards a new set. Based on what everyone here collectively knows about the set and keeping in mind there is the 1 year manufacturer warranty directly from Samsung... do you folks have an opinion on whether it's worth it? Probably worth noting I'm not someone who upgrades TVs regularly, thank you!!
As a general rule, it is only worth buying a warranty if a product is so costly that you would be unable to repurchase it if something breaks. For what it's worth, Consumer Reports continually finds that extended warranties aren't worth buying.

You'll hear stories of people it worked out for, but the vast majority of people aren't getting anything for their money except peace of mind.
King Richard and AudioNewGuy like this.
David Lantz is offline  
post #26108 of 37001 Old 05-17-2017, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Terminader's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: California
Posts: 2,011
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked: 1684
Protect against malware?

It's not clear to me how are TVs are protected based upon this notification from Samsung. I personally don't have any worries, but I know some of you do.

"Formerly, it referred to Tizen as the "the reliable Operating System (OS)". Tizen became the default OS for all Samsung's Smart TVs in 2015.

However, no software is bug free, and as PCWorld reported in April, Samsung was busy that month sorting through which of 40 critical Tizen bugs were relevant to its TVs. Tizen also powers its Z smartphones.

Samsung is now offering smart TVs not one but two antivirus engines to detect and contain malware for its platform. Samsung has what it calls "the anti malware vaccine engine", but is now bundling third-party antivirus in its TVs.

The third-party product is McAfee Security for TV. But unlike PC users, Samsung Smart TV owners only need to activate the software and won't need to make an additional purchase.

The McAfee TV deal is only available in the US and Korea for now. Free McAfee software is also shipping with the Galaxy S8, while Samsung PCs will be bundled with a 60-day free subscription.

Additionally, Samsung's Smart TV browser has an anti-phishing pop-up alert if sees its owner click on a suspicious site. And Samsung suggests its hardware offers some kind of sandboxing or containerization enabled through a "chip architecture that prevents data from being leaked by separating the physical space in the hardware for the core software to operate in".
Terminader is offline  
post #26109 of 37001 Old 05-17-2017, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
Lonewolf7002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 677
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wozik View Post
Guys,

do you know if it's possible to output 5.1 sound from the Youtube app?

No. But only because YouTube doesn't support 5.1. It only supports stereo. There is no content that has 5.1, despite some videos claiming they do.
mrtickleuk likes this.

Samsung KS8000, Denon AVR-X3300W, Xbox One X, Samsung UBD-K8500 4K bluray player, Himedia Q5 Pro android box
Lonewolf7002 is online now  
post #26110 of 37001 Old 05-17-2017, 07:00 AM
Member
 
Wozik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf7002 View Post
No. But only because YouTube doesn't support 5.1. It only supports stereo. There is no content that has 5.1, despite some videos claiming they do.
Are you sure?

https://superuser.com/questions/9063...-encoded-files
Wozik is offline  
post #26111 of 37001 Old 05-17-2017, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member
 
Lonewolf7002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 677
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wozik View Post

99% sure! But there's always that chance... From looking into this before, you can upload 5.1 videos, but all videos get re-encoded before being displayed, and youtube currently downmixes everything to stereo. The page you linked is somewhat confusing with its info, but even it mentions that if you want 5.1 you need to have your receiver upconvert from stero to surround using Dolby prologic or dts:neo or some such. FWIW I've never had more than stereo on youtube on any platform ever.
King Richard likes this.

Samsung KS8000, Denon AVR-X3300W, Xbox One X, Samsung UBD-K8500 4K bluray player, Himedia Q5 Pro android box
Lonewolf7002 is online now  
post #26112 of 37001 Old 05-17-2017, 07:24 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post
I used to not buy warranties in the past, but after a few bad experiences of quality control on other displays I have since.
I have had a display go bad in the first 3-4 months and the warranty was invaluable. In my case with best buy they had to do the refund within 6 months and since it was technically under manufacture warranty I got the $180 back on the geek squad warranty as well.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Agree, today's TV.s are sold as disposable items, and the quality of manufacturing is not what it used to be, longevity can vary, greatly, by individual sample. This particular model suffers from panel and finish detachment, poor gluing.

Cheers
ralarcon1 is offline  
post #26113 of 37001 Old 05-17-2017, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Chuck_IV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,216
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave4282 View Post
I'm tempted to upgrade from the regular PS4 to a Pro, but all the horror stories I'm reading about people having flickering issues with the KS8000/PS4 pro combo has me still holding onto the the regular PS4, which works perfectly fine with no flickering issues at all.


I have zero issues with my Pro and the KS8000. I even run a 15 ft HDMI cable from the Pro to the TV directly and have no flickering at all.

I am still on 1168.2


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
King Richard likes this.
Chuck_IV is offline  
post #26114 of 37001 Old 05-17-2017, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dr.Shankenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Kansas city
Posts: 2,470
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_IV View Post
I have zero issues with my Pro and the KS8000. I even run a 15 ft HDMI cable from the Pro to the TV directly and have no flickering at all.

I am still on 1168.2


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you have to do the 1168.2 update with USB? I can only find 1169.2 on their site, but have heard varying reports about its stability.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Dr.Shankenstein is offline  
post #26115 of 37001 Old 05-17-2017, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Chuck_IV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,216
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaoriley7 View Post
I



TIVO - anyway for the Samsung remote to run my TIVO Roamio? I'd love to have a single remote do most things. I realize that it doesn't seem that the TIVO will play nice with this TV or vs versa. So maybe this is an impossible ask.

Yes, it works fine but is a bit of a pain to use due to the lack of buttons.

After setting up your cable system, Samsung will think you are using your cable system box and ask you to test channel changes. Fail it 4 times and it will give you an option to choose manually. Select Tivo from the right drop down then type in Roamio in the left box and it will show you choices for the Roamio.

After you do this it will work. To get back to live TV use the guide button(press the channel button) twice.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post
Did you have to do the 1168.2 update with USB? I can only find 1169.2 on their site, but have heard varying reports about its stability.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

When I got my TV it asked to update and at the time 1168.2 was current so that is what it updated to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Chuck_IV; 05-17-2017 at 07:56 AM.
Chuck_IV is offline  
post #26116 of 37001 Old 05-17-2017, 08:34 AM
Senior Member
 
FullyArray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Searching for firmware issues, I see on Samsung's support forum that some people say they're getting worse judder with updates after 1165. So maybe they did screw something up in recent firmwares.
FullyArray is offline  
post #26117 of 37001 Old 05-17-2017, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Terminader's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: California
Posts: 2,011
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked: 1684
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullyArray View Post
Searching for firmware issues, I see on Samsung's support forum that some people say they're getting worse judder with updates after 1165. So maybe they did screw something up in recent firmwares.
Quite possible.

There does seem to be a pattern with Samsung firmware releases:

1) Firmware is good to go: shortly after manual download availability on their website, it is made available to TVs for auto download

2) Firmware may have issues for some: available for manual download for a 'long' period of time before TVs receive it. Sometimes the TVs receive a newer firmware version... a dot release.

3) Firmware is not good: Same as 2 , but manual download version is reverted back to previous version.

Seems like we are currently in situation 2, heading to 3.

Just my observations....

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Terminader is offline  
post #26118 of 37001 Old 05-17-2017, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dr.Shankenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Kansas city
Posts: 2,470
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullyArray View Post
Searching for firmware issues, I see on Samsung's support forum that some people say they're getting worse judder with updates after 1165. So maybe they did screw something up in recent firmwares.
The motion for gaming on my TV is fantastic. The stuttering or micro judder is only apparent on some streaming or film based content.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Dr.Shankenstein is offline  
post #26119 of 37001 Old 05-17-2017, 08:59 AM
Member
 
kitatiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitatiger View Post
I suspect that my 50" Sammy DLP's color wheel is in its last year. SOMEthing in that box that spins is grinding. After 8 years I think it's time to accept the inevitable...soo...

Has anyone had any +/- experiences with Walmart's refurbished KS8000 55"ers? I've had good luck with other refurbished electronics (my refurb'd Nikon D610 has been great) so I'm not inherently against going that route.

Thank you in advance for your input.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
Wondering same thing myself lol. I know one guy in here has one and it was great on day one but after a month or two it developed stuck pixels, he was gonna update when he received the new one. I dont think the KS series is necessarily built to last given the form factor, if you are gonna buy this refurb i would probably add extended warranty, but at that point you are nearing new prices and you might as well get one at costco.
I was just reassured by Sammy tech support, by someone familiar with DLP mechanics, that the grinding is likely dust/dirt in one of the 4 cooling fans and not the color wheel since there's no effect on the picture.
In any case, the grinding has gone away, so as much as I'm tempted by the KS8000, it seems I have a few more years with my DLP....until the next gen Sammy comes out.

Samsung HL50A650, Denon AVR-1910, Denon DBP-2010CI Blu-ray, Technics 1311 TT, Dynaco A25 front/center speakers, AR Rock Partner RS.
kitatiger is offline  
post #26120 of 37001 Old 05-17-2017, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dr.Shankenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Kansas city
Posts: 2,470
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitatiger View Post
I was just reassured by Sammy tech support, by someone familiar with DLP mechanics, that the grinding is likely dust/dirt in one of the 4 cooling fans and not the color wheel since there's no effect on the picture.
In any case, the grinding has gone away, so as much as I'm tempted by the KS8000, it seems I have a few more years with my DLP....until the next gen Sammy comes out.
The KS8000/KS8500 are two great values at this point, but if you were patient and waited until this time next year QLED prices could be comparable.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Dr.Shankenstein is offline  
post #26121 of 37001 Old 05-17-2017, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Teremei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,015
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Does the KS8500 have an IR or RF remote? I'm moving my LG downstairs because I'm gonig to move my main sound system along with the OLED. Nows the time to buy, leaning toward the 55" because I'll have the 65" downstairs for movies. For 1100 that's a good deal for the 55. It's just an IR would be compatible with my Klipsch sound bar. Was hoping the KS remote would be both and not just RF>

Upstairs - Sony 75x940e: soundbar - Klipsch R-20B
Basement - BenQ HT3050: screen - Elite 125" motorized ATS: speakers - RF-7IIx2, RC-64II, RS-41IIx2, RS-42IIx2, AVR Denon x4000 -- subs PC-12NSD + RW12D
Bedroom - LG 65eg9600: soundbar - LG SH3K
Teremei is offline  
post #26122 of 37001 Old 05-17-2017, 09:10 AM
Senior Member
 
FullyArray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post
The motion for gaming on my TV is fantastic. The stuttering or micro judder is only apparent on some streaming or film based content.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
I have no point of reference because I was on 1168 from when I got the tv, and I still am.

But yes I see worse judder on streaming or certain films too. I just don't know if it was any better overall before.

I should say that is on Judder 0. Judder 3 is not bad. And 5 is where noticeable SOE begins.

Last edited by FullyArray; 05-17-2017 at 09:18 AM.
FullyArray is offline  
post #26123 of 37001 Old 05-17-2017, 09:17 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNewGuy View Post
Hi everyone- longtime lurker on this thread and I finally just picked up my 65KS8000 last night at Best Buy (Magnolia). I had a question I'm hoping some of you longer time owners can help me on. Magnolia wanted to sell me a 4-year insurance plan for $180. For anyone not familiar, it basically covers any damage that is not phyiscal (your TV falls off the mount / stand- tough cookies). If it can't be fixed, the cost of the set is given in a credit towards a new set. Based on what everyone here collectively knows about the set and keeping in mind there is the 1 year manufacturer warranty directly from Samsung... do you folks have an opinion on whether it's worth it? Probably worth noting I'm not someone who upgrades TVs regularly, thank you!!
If you purchase the set with an AMEX I believe they double the manufacturer's warranty (1 year becomes 2 years). But I haven't looked at the terms recently so you might want to verify before relying on this.
AudioNewGuy likes this.
Henry Krinkle is offline  
post #26124 of 37001 Old 05-17-2017, 09:23 AM
Senior Member
 
FullyArray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminader View Post
Quite possible.

There does seem to be a pattern with Samsung firmware releases:

1) Firmware is good to go: shortly after manual download availability on their website, it is made available to TVs for auto download

2) Firmware may have issues for some: available for manual download for a 'long' period of time before TVs receive it. Sometimes the TVs receive a newer firmware version... a dot release.

3) Firmware is not good: Same as 2 , but manual download version is reverted back to previous version.

Seems like we are currently in situation 2, heading to 3.

Just my observations....

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
I can only rely on what you guys experience since I've only ever been on 1168. I hope the update that includes HDR10+ will solve a lot of these weird issues I hear about.

But never will I upgrade until I see the all clear signal...
FullyArray is offline  
post #26125 of 37001 Old 05-17-2017, 09:33 AM
Member
 
kitatiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post
The KS8000/KS8500 are two great values at this point, but if you were patient and waited until this time next year QLED prices could be comparable.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Thanks...
I can be patient...if I can avoid stepping into BB and allowing lust to get the better of me...I think that even if the bulb dies (too) soon I'd get one more for $85....after a year or two I'm sure someone will be happy to have my set for $100-200...
I've not really kept up with the latest products along the tech curve, so I've got some fun reading to do re: Sammy's QLED technology....
Terminader likes this.

Samsung HL50A650, Denon AVR-1910, Denon DBP-2010CI Blu-ray, Technics 1311 TT, Dynaco A25 front/center speakers, AR Rock Partner RS.
kitatiger is offline  
post #26126 of 37001 Old 05-17-2017, 10:06 AM
Senior Member
 
Forrest Gump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone can tell me if there is anyway to tell what the current firmware version that the ks8000 tv has? Also, if it is possible to find out what the current version of the firmware, would it require going into the service menu to do so? I ask that last question because I can't afford to go into the service menu because i'm worried it will void my bestbuy warrenty, which was expensive.

Thanks in advance for any information.
Forrest Gump is offline  
post #26127 of 37001 Old 05-17-2017, 10:07 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 51
@Dr.Shankenstein @David Lantz @ralarcon1 -- thanks for the opinions guys, much appreciated. I've got some time to mull it over, as they said I could come back within 2 weeks to add the warranty. I've definitely seen the stories across this thread about poor gluing, panel / finish detachment. I've also seen a good bit on light bleed, some issues with pixels. To some of your earlier points though, its all individual and some folks get great sets and others get these issues.. seems to be very hit or miss. It's only a year in to these sets, but I'm curious what their life span will be like before we start to see real degradation in PQ.
AudioNewGuy is offline  
post #26128 of 37001 Old 05-17-2017, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mrtickleuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Birmingham, UK - you know, the original one!
Posts: 8,176
Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5673 Post(s)
Liked: 8181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wozik View Post
Are you sure?
Yes. YouTube, on EVERY platform not just this TV, doesn't support anything better than bog-standard 2-channel stereo output.

You can up-mix YouTube's stereo output (on this TV or any other platform) just like you can up-mix anything else in the world from stereo, but it was never 5.1 as it came out of YouTube. That's your up-mixer doing it.

The questions it nothing to do with this TV, you can/should ask the same question on YouTube's website for when you're watching YouTube videos on a PC with a 5.1 soundcard. Same answer.
King Richard likes this.

_______________
Denon AVR-X4200W, Arcam Alpha 8P; 5.1.4 setup: Mission 702e, M7C1i, 77DS, 731. Rel T5 Sub. Monitor Audio CT165 4 Tops | LG OLED55C8PLA TV | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
mrtickleuk is online now  
post #26129 of 37001 Old 05-17-2017, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member
 
jeep05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: N.C.
Posts: 708
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest Gump View Post
Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone can tell me if there is anyway to tell what the current firmware version that the ks8000 tv has? Also, if it is possible to find out what the current version of the firmware, would it require going into the service menu to do so? I ask that last question because I can't afford to go into the service menu because i'm worried it will void my bestbuy warrenty, which was expensive.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Click Settings>Support and software version is in top right corner.
jeep05 is offline  
post #26130 of 37001 Old 05-17-2017, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dr.Shankenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Kansas city
Posts: 2,470
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNewGuy View Post
@Dr.Shankenstein @David Lantz @ralarcon1 -- thanks for the opinions guys, much appreciated. I've got some time to mull it over, as they said I could come back within 2 weeks to add the warranty. I've definitely seen the stories across this thread about poor gluing, panel / finish detachment. I've also seen a good bit on light bleed, some issues with pixels. To some of your earlier points though, its all individual and some folks get great sets and others get these issues.. seems to be very hit or miss. It's only a year in to these sets, but I'm curious what their life span will be like before we start to see real degradation in PQ.
My first was a disaster, but second is a 97 out of 100 for panel/screen quality.


Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Dr.Shankenstein is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
denon s740h , extra , hdmi input , KS8000/KS8500 , no picture , one connect fail , xbox one s

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off