Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 878 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 179981Likes

post #26311 of 36733 Old 05-22-2017, 11:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1305 Post(s)
Liked: 2157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post
General rule of thumb with judging bleed do it straight on. The Samsung use of VA panels and sub par viewing angles make the bleed appear worse do to wash out.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
And to add to the above...when you post pictures and ask for advice on light bleed or PQ, it helps to post the settings you're using. Settings can play a huge impact on light bleed and clouding.
jc2367 and The_Donster like this.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26312 of 36733 Old 05-23-2017, 08:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
I don't use any Bluetooth devices with the TV, myself. However, from my US KS8000 manual:

---To connect a Samsung audio device that supports TV SoundConnect to the TV, change the mode on the Samsung audio device to TV SoundConnect.

---The devices connected by the TV SoundConnect function can be controlled in Bluetooth Audio Devices.

---Before using a Bluetooth audio device, refer to “Read Before Using Bluetooth Devices."

The "Read Before Using Bluetooth Devices" includes:

---You can't use Bluetooth devices and the Surround feature simultaneously.

Have you set the mode on the soundbar to TV SoundConnect?

If so, does the soundbar show up in the TV as a Bluetooth device?

I apologize if you've tried all that and it still doesn't work.
Hi,

Thanks for all the advice, which I have tried but still no joy. I previously had a JU7000 series TV and that connected perfectly with the soundbar.
post #26313 of 36733 Old 05-23-2017, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post
No..lol

I still own a KS8000 and am happy with it
At the time I bought it the KS9800 was MUCH higher in price

I was just throwing out an idea to fellow AVS members

Warren
I own both, too, and I see no real difference. The KS9800 may be a tad brighter, or not. But my wife, who does not read these forums, says she sees a real difference, so go figure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26314 of 36733 Old 05-23-2017, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminader View Post
Great for more info about the show you are watching by pressing the Extra button on the Samsung remote.

To turn it off:
Press the "EXTRA" button on the remote. Press the "down arrow" and go to "Settings". In the "GENERAL" section turn off the two settings there. One of them turns off showing the "EXTRA" window when "EXTRA" content is available.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Ah, thank you! It was getting really annoying having that constantly pop up
post #26315 of 36733 Old 05-23-2017, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Ok another question. HDMI UHD Color. What is it? When should it be on and when should it be off? All my feeds are going through my Marantz AVR so I'd really not have to adjust it every time I change feed (Roku, Xbox, DirecT, Apple TV and Panasonic 4k HDR Blurry all through one HDMI to TV).

I turned it OFF and finally the motion blur on DirecTV went away and looks normal.

Should HDMI UHD be ON if I'm watching ROKU regardless of it being 4k or HDR content?

Please help!
post #26316 of 36733 Old 05-23-2017, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I'm wondering what the current situation is regarding the "advertisements in the Smart Hub" problem. There's been a lot of discussion here and elsewhere on the Internet about this issue and I wonder if it's still happening to others. The reason I'm curious is that I've had my UN65KS8000 for over a month now and I've never seen any adds pop up on the Smart Hub bar. I've not changed any settings in the "Terms & Policy" section. The set came at firmware 1168 and has since updated to 1169.

Has this problem gone away? I'm in Canada and my set is a Canadian model (UN65KS8000FXZC).

Last edited by pwm1; 05-23-2017 at 06:20 PM.
post #26317 of 36733 Old 05-23-2017, 02:01 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 4367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamester2374 View Post
Ok another question. HDMI UHD Color. What is it? When should it be on and when should it be off? All my feeds are going through my Marantz AVR so I'd really not have to adjust it every time I change feed (Roku, Xbox, DirecT, Apple TV and Panasonic 4k HDR Blurry all through one HDMI to TV).

I turned it OFF and finally the motion blur on DirecTV went away and looks normal.

Should HDMI UHD be ON if I'm watching ROKU regardless of it being 4k or HDR content?

Please help!

I see that you still haven't read through my "Picture Settings Guide"

You really should give it a read before asking all these questions.

Richard
post #26318 of 36733 Old 05-23-2017, 02:04 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwm1 View Post
I'm wondering what the current situation is regarding the "advertisements in the Smart Hub" problem. There's been a lot of discussion here and elsewhere on the Internet about this issue and I wonder if it's still happening to others. The reason I'm curious is that I've had my UN65KS8000 for over a month now and I've never seen any adds pop up on the Smart Hub bar. I've not changed any settings in the "Terms & Policy" section. The set came at firmware 1168 and has since updated to 1169.

Has this problem gone away? I'm in Canada and my set is a Canadian model UN65KS8000FXZC).

Fortunately us Canadians are not getting these "ads" (yet?)

Richard
post #26319 of 36733 Old 05-23-2017, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richard View Post
I see that you still haven't read through my "Picture Settings Guide"

You really should give it a read before asking all these questions.

Richard
I read the part about HDMU UHD just now. Thanks for writing it must have taken a lot of work. However, I'm just a normal businessman and not an AV scientist. Can you dumb it down for me? I don;t know what I have that does 4:4:4 or anything. So when I'm watching normal and HDR content on Roku it should be on or off? On Apple Tv? On Panasonic DMP 8000 4K Blu Ray player should it be on just when watching 4k content or older blu rays as well?

Thanks for the help. I'm trying to learn here.
post #26320 of 36733 Old 05-23-2017, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Rosenberg View Post
I own both, too, and I see no real difference. The KS9800 may be a tad brighter, or not. But my wife, who does not read these forums, says she sees a real difference, so go figure.
Yes..right off the bat the KS9800 seems significantly brighter which IMO, makes HDR and sports programming particularly better than my KS8000
But..the thing is that my KS8000 has a tad bit of panel uniformity/light bleed issues across the bottom visible in dark scenes
Actually, I think every KS8000/8500 that I have seen has some bit of uniformity issues.
Some very slight and others pretty bad

But anyway...since I know its there on the KS8000..my eyes gravitate towards it everytime I watch the TV..lol
The KS9800 has no such issues. I dont care for the curve of the KS9800 but can get past it for what I paid

Warren
jeep05 and Larry Rosenberg like this.

Rm 1 LG65E7 Marantz 8802A prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A and HK PA2400 amps B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM6's.rears
Rm 2 Sony 49x900E Denon X7200 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Sony 55x930E Yamaha A1060 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Sony 65Z9D
post #26321 of 36733 Old 05-23-2017, 04:11 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamester2374 View Post
I read the part about HDMU UHD just now. Thanks for writing it must have taken a lot of work. However, I'm just a normal businessman and not an AV scientist. Can you dumb it down for me? I don;t know what I have that does 4:4:4 or anything. So when I'm watching normal and HDR content on Roku it should be on or off? On Apple Tv? On Panasonic DMP 8000 4K Blu Ray player should it be on just when watching 4k content or older blu rays as well?

Thanks for the help. I'm trying to learn here.

You're welcome!

Unfortunately, the problem with running everything through an AVR with only 1 HDMI cable going to the TV, although very convenient, is that you can't have separate settings for your different input devices.

The only device that you have connected right now that require the "HDMI UHD Color" setting to be ON all the time is your UHD Blu-ray player (it HAS to be ON for this one - although regular Blu-rays should still be fine with it OFF).

As for your other devices, it only needs to be ON for UHD HDR content.

As you've experienced yourself, having it ON all the time can sometimes cause video and audio issues with certain devices.

You basically have 2 choices:

1- Only turn it ON when viewing UHD HDR content and leave it OFF the rest of the time.

2- Connect some of you devices (e.g. your UHD Blu-ray player) to a separate input on the TV's OCB. Then it can have its own separate settings.

Hope this helps.

Richard
post #26322 of 36733 Old 05-23-2017, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
This TV is amazing. I'm loving how crisp regular 1080p Blue-rays look; I really need to find that128GB MicroSD to put 60GB HDR films up.

I just had an idea; is it possible to make the TV turn on at a set time and play a TV channel? Like an alarm clock.
Terminader and King Richard like this.
post #26323 of 36733 Old 05-23-2017, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv00 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv00 View Post
Well I have both the xb1 and ps4 pro and I've never once seen it flicker or black out. And I've played hundreds of hours on each system.

Put it on auto and leave it alone.
non-seientific = meaningless, just saying. to be expected huh. Nothing cept a pc even outputs 4k 444 60 hz signal so you must mean 8 bit color...There is no lottery. You're just making **** up. This issue has been around since launch of the ps4 pro. I've seen tons of users with the issue with every number of manufacturer.
I've never had the flicker, but I've had the black out. I've switched out my HDMI's and it still occasionally happens. You are also correct on this being a known issue with both PSP's and OneS's regardless of manufacturer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
You probably won't like this either, but it's worth trying Black Frame Insertion. Samsung calls their implementation of this "LED Clear Motion". Turn it on, and increase the Backlight slightly to compensate for the slight reduction in brightness. Then, stick with it for several days to get used to it. Don't judge it on your initial reaction, you need to get used to it.
Totally agree here. I remember @King Richard , @Larry Rosenberg and other owners at the time telling me the same thing when I first bought mine. Your eyes will adjust. You'll get spoiled and realize you need to replace other tv's in your house because the picture looks so good. Then again, I just stream, play games and watch movies on mine. So I could be bias because I'm particular on my viewing source

Official Samsung KS8000/8500 Owners Information PDF
Living Room: LG 55LE5500 Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360 w/Kinect
Bedroom: VIZIO E470VL VIZIO VSB200 Sound Bar Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360
Inner Sanctum: Samsung 65KS8000, Halo XBox One, GoW Xbox 360, Onkyo HT-S5300
post #26324 of 36733 Old 05-23-2017, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi guys, was wondering if anyone can tell me why are alot of the picture controls options greyed out when the KS8000 is hooked up to a Windows 10 computer compared when it's hooked up to a console or cable box and is there anyway to force them back on at all?
post #26325 of 36733 Old 05-23-2017, 07:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1656 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Donster View Post

Totally agree here. I remember @King Richard , @Larry Rosenberg and other owners at the time telling me the same thing when I first bought mine. Your eyes will adjust. You'll get spoiled and realize you need to replace other tv's in your house because the picture looks so good. Then again, I just stream, play games and watch movies on mine. So I could be bias because I'm particular on my viewing source
I wonder if BFI would wear out the backlight sooner? It seems with the lights being turned on and off, it would be harder on them. Or is it just a more extreme pulse-width-modulation and it would be doing this anyways just not at such a drastic up and down state?

Thoughts?

Last edited by checker9; 05-23-2017 at 07:58 PM.
post #26326 of 36733 Old 05-23-2017, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2438 Post(s)
Liked: 1739
Quote:
Originally Posted by checker9 View Post
I wonder if BFI would wear out the backlight sooner? It seems with the lights being turned on and off, it would be harder on them. Or is it just a more extreme pulse-width-modulation and it would be doing this anyways just not at such a drastic up and down state?

Thoughts?
Nah.

The backlight brightness is already controlled by PWM (pulse width modulation) rather than analog, so the LEDs are already being pulsed at 120Hz if the backlight setting is anything below the max.
The_Donster and King Richard like this.
post #26327 of 36733 Old 05-23-2017, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche View Post
Looks pretty minor compared to what I had. Go to YouTube and search for "black screen." Play that, but make sure your screen doesn't turn off. You may have to set your brightness higher (50) To prevent the backlight from turning off. Then max out your backlight setting and turn off smart LED. Then take a picture of the entire screen, head on, and post here. It's also interesting to search for gray screen in YouTube and take a picture of that to check grey uniformity
My pics just never came out right, but th etv tech stopped by today and he said my tv is basically normal and i just had my brightness really high.

As far the the youtube many have dealt with on here i.e. the jumbled text and overall screwed up interface. The TV tech was able to do a master reset on my tv which thus far has fixed the problem. He stated you cant do it on your own; he had some wireless remote that gave him access into my tv. Its basically a software issue that needs to me fixed by a tech or maybe a future update.
post #26328 of 36733 Old 05-23-2017, 08:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc2367 View Post
My pics just never came out right, but th etv tech stopped by today and he said my tv is basically normal and i just had my brightness really high.

As far the the youtube many have dealt with on here i.e. the jumbled text and overall screwed up interface. The TV tech was able to do a master reset on my tv which thus far has fixed the problem. He stated you cant do it on your own; he had some wireless remote that gave him access into my tv. Its basically a software issue that needs to me fixed by a tech or maybe a future update.
Wireless remote? Sounds like he just had a Samsung remote with a normal keypad, entered the service menu where he did a system reset. If so, anyone can do that.
jc2367 and King Richard like this.
post #26329 of 36733 Old 05-23-2017, 10:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1305 Post(s)
Liked: 2157
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Donster View Post
I've never had the flicker, but I've had the black out. I've switched out my HDMI's and it still occasionally happens. You are also correct on this being a known issue with both PSP's and OneS's regardless of manufacturer.

Hey Don, nice to see you posting again. Seems as this thread is gradually slowing down now most of us thread veterans havent been around as much lately. Only a few of us have remained, @mrtickleuk , @KingR ichard , @Terminader and of course yourself!

Feel free to say hi once in a while via PM.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP

Last edited by jconjason; 05-23-2017 at 10:10 PM.
post #26330 of 36733 Old 05-24-2017, 12:17 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I have a question about the one connect box, I was outside today and I saw when I came back my mom moved some of the wires around including the one connect box wire, and although the one connect box still seems fully connected (it doesnt say that message about connecting the box) im worried that if she pulled anything there might be damage. What would the symptoms be of a damaged one connect box connection?
post #26331 of 36733 Old 05-24-2017, 02:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Quoted: 5192 Post(s)
Liked: 7514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest Gump View Post
Hi guys, was wondering if anyone can tell me why are alot of the picture controls options greyed out when the KS8000 is hooked up to a Windows 10 computer compared when it's hooked up to a console or cable box and is there anyway to force them back on at all?
In "PC mode" many controls are greyed out. Just like when you're in certain other picture modes, like Game mode some controls are disabled. It's by design.
Terminader and The_Donster like this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #26332 of 36733 Old 05-24-2017, 04:43 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 155
So, this is a weird issue that I cannot seem to correct since the last firmware.

Whenever I use game mode my set will auto dim everything and now locks me out of most eco setting controls.

The dimming is HORRIBLE. It's extreme even with moderate brightness values being used.

Does anyone have a solution to this?

This tv has hit my last nerve with tiny but consistent issues always cropping up
post #26333 of 36733 Old 05-24-2017, 07:34 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richard View Post
Fortunately us Canadians are not getting these "ads" (yet?)

Richard
Actually I'm in Canada (QC) and I started seeing an ad for Amazon Video on my Smart Hub bar this weekend. I am not sure what changed as I'm still on 1168.
The thing that bothers me is that I'm already subscribed to Amazon Video so I really don't need to see that.
King Richard likes this.

Samsung UN55KS8000 || Sony BDVE-980W || PS4 Pro
post #26334 of 36733 Old 05-24-2017, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc2367 View Post

The YouTube app needs to be updated. In looking at the app store page for it, it hasn't been updated since around March of LAST year(if I remember right). Google needs to get off their duff and update the app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #26335 of 36733 Old 05-24-2017, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1656 Post(s)
Liked: 378
For anyone who has used the free HBO Now from Costco/Sam's Club purchases of the KS-D models, do you get the free months plus 1 free month trial for initial HBO Now sign-up? Or just the free months? For example, I got the promotion coupon code for 9 free months. Will I only get 9 months, or should I get 10 months, the 9 months plus 1 free trial month.

I want to check before I use it to make sure it worked right. Thanks.
post #26336 of 36733 Old 05-24-2017, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMZ_P View Post
Actually I'm in Canada (QC) and I started seeing an ad for Amazon Video on my Smart Hub bar this weekend. I am not sure what changed as I'm still on 1168.
The thing that bothers me is that I'm already subscribed to Amazon Video so I really don't need to see that.
Same here, i get the Amazon Video add on the Smart Hub. Really annoying...
post #26337 of 36733 Old 05-24-2017, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If I use a soundbar via bluetooth is there a way to automatically select the bluetooth speaker? Or is it going to always wait for me to select Yes when it detects it? The later is problematic when using a harmony activity.
post #26338 of 36733 Old 05-24-2017, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 898 Post(s)
Liked: 1651
Potential good news from Samsung on HDMI switching: https://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...ints-statement

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Take Two likes this.
post #26339 of 36733 Old 05-24-2017, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Update on my "banding" issue.

Someone suggested a new "one connect" box from Samsung, so I called and they sent me one. No change, at all, might be a little worse.

I read elsewhere HDR should not have banding, so I am gonna watch an HDR program on Netflix when I get home and see if it is better.

The degree of the banding for me is extreme, my next TV will put this issue at the top of the list to resolve, this and that jutter movement you see when using controls that you are better off leaving off.

I really like this site

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sam...8000?uxtv=b5d0

but where in that review would one see BANDING? When buying a new TV how would you know which is better for this?
post #26340 of 36733 Old 05-24-2017, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Quoted: 5192 Post(s)
Liked: 7514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_IV View Post
The YouTube app needs to be updated. In looking at the app store page for it, it hasn't been updated since around March of LAST year(if I remember right). Google needs to get off their duff and update the app.
Well you need to remember that there's very little that they could change, since the YouTube app is tiny. It's just a wafer-thin launcher for: "full screen web browser running www.youtube.com/tv".

We have had many updates to the look and behaviour of YouTube in the app - made possible because they are all changes on the www.youtube.com/tv website.

The bug does seem to be in Samsung's browser, which is provided by Samsung in the firmware.
Terminader likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
denon s740h , extra , hdmi input , KS8000/KS8500 , no picture , one connect fail , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page