Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 899 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 179979Likes

post #26941 of 36726 Old 06-13-2017, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
This thread's really huge so forgive me if this is a simple/stupid question, or has been asked:

I've been playing around with HDR streaming options offered by TV apps, namely Amazon and Youtube. I tried playing UHD versions of Man in High Castle and Grand Tour, and even though it's playing in HDR (TV popup says HDR and Amazon app confirms), it is more blurry than not, and not crisp at all. Playing normal non-UHD/HDR videos comes across crystal clear. On Youtube, only some 4K videos come across as reference quality, others are just ok (1080p quality).

My internet is 50/50 and the TV is hard wired to the wall - any tips on how to improve, or key settings I should be reviewing?
Skoch116 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26942 of 36726 Old 06-13-2017, 07:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1656 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by vektar View Post
I used the search feature, i googled, i've read through a bunch of pages here and have no idea where everyone is finding the 1080.5 update to download to a thumb drive... i'm not a very tech savvy guy so sometimes these things just go over my head. Is there a direct link where i can download this update from?
Samsung support page. If you are in the US, the page is http://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads/

Then search for your TV for actual download.

You either extra the file to your hard drive then copy the folder named T-JMAXXXX (forgot exact letters but in some format like that) and down onto a USB drive. Then plug that into your one connect and do the update.

Samsung and people advise to use a blank USB drive, but I successfully did it with a USB thumb drive that had bunch of other files on it.
post #26943 of 36726 Old 06-13-2017, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1656 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyma45 View Post
This thread's really huge so forgive me if this is a simple/stupid question, or has been asked:

I've been playing around with HDR streaming options offered by TV apps, namely Amazon and Youtube. I tried playing UHD versions of Man in High Castle and Grand Tour, and even though it's playing in HDR (TV popup says HDR and Amazon app confirms), it is more blurry than not, and not crisp at all. Playing normal non-UHD/HDR videos comes across crystal clear. On Youtube, only some 4K videos come across as reference quality, others are just ok (1080p quality).

My internet is 50/50 and the TV is hard wired to the wall - any tips on how to improve, or key settings I should be reviewing?
HDR starts as a new mode for either "Movie" or "Standard", which ever of those two (and only those two work for HDR) that you were using before playing the HDR. The first time, and until you adjust them, the settings are at default even if you adjusted them before in SDR. So you might need to adjust the settings while, in HDR, to your liking. It might have sharpness or some other setting higher than you normal use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26944 of 36726 Old 06-13-2017, 08:30 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 4367
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimT1701 View Post
Yes I seem to have a high sensitivity to 24p (pretty much everything) content. Even watching films in the theater takes me some time to adjust. I read about PWM flicker effect also. It does have a great picture for still motion and you are right the second something moves you can tell...

Everything was fine with the TV for the first 2-3 months. I cant remember when I started seeing the issue.

(Always wanted to say that! )

Did you try turning ON "LED Clear Motion"?

If "everything was fine with the TV for the first 2-3 months" as you said, maybe you can try a "Factory Reset". (Just make sure to write down all your settings beforehand.)

Richard
Rudy1 and Terminader like this.

Last edited by King Richard; 06-13-2017 at 08:40 PM.
post #26945 of 36726 Old 06-13-2017, 08:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2436 Post(s)
Liked: 1739
Quote:
Originally Posted by vektar View Post
I used the search feature, i googled, i've read through a bunch of pages here and have no idea where everyone is finding the 1080.5 update to download to a thumb drive... i'm not a very tech savvy guy so sometimes these things just go over my head. Is there a direct link where i can download this update from?
Here:

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ow...-tv-ks8-series

Scroll down a bit to "downloads".

A couple of levels in is a folder named "image" extract that to a USB drive. Insert the USB drive into one of the ports on the OCB (One Connect Box). When you do a software update, you'll be asked if you wish to search the USB drive. Click yes.

I received the update over-the-air a couple of days ago. Surprisingly early.
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #26946 of 36726 Old 06-13-2017, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by checker9 View Post
Samsung support page. If you are in the US, the page is http://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads/

Then search for your TV for actual download.

You either extra the file to your hard drive then copy the folder named T-JMAXXXX (forgot exact letters but in some format like that) and down onto a USB drive. Then plug that into your one connect and do the update.

Samsung and people advise to use a blank USB drive, but I successfully did it with a USB thumb drive that had bunch of other files on it.
Thank you, that was a lot of help. I was so lost as to how to do it.
post #26947 of 36726 Old 06-13-2017, 10:15 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Donster View Post
. . . I kind of feel like that digital copies should automatically update to the latest resolution, but VUDU might have a different outlook @FarmerBob . I'm hoping that when I redeem mine in the future that they will be UHD.
Oh they do. HDX runs about $19.99 and UHD runs $29.99. Unless you buy or redeem 4k versions you're not going to get UHD.
post #26948 of 36726 Old 06-13-2017, 10:33 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Yes I have turned the motion control off and on and off and on again. It does not get any better. I have it on right now with the factory custom setting of Blur reduction 10 Judder 0 and it is bearable. When it is off completely it is a disaster. All my sources are going through an Onkyo 4k AVR.
Well, forgive me for stating the obvious, but have you tried connecting directly to the OCB and skipping the Onkyo?
Rolls-Royce and Terminader like this.
post #26949 of 36726 Old 06-14-2017, 02:37 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Anyone know of any stores that sell low profile M8 45mm bolts in Canada? I purchased a peerless SUF660p mount, however the longest bolts it only comes with are only 25mm. Since this mount is so thin, regular sized bolts with heads 6mm+ thick actually interfere with the mounting mechanism.

Thanks,
- Edirol
post #26950 of 36726 Old 06-14-2017, 04:23 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just watched House of Cards on Netflix after an OTA update from 1165 to 1169 (Blocked the addresses for the updates in my router, foolish didn't check enable... doh!)

The judder is absolutely terrible, shocking they can let an update be published like that.
post #26951 of 36726 Old 06-14-2017, 05:18 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSpeed View Post
Just watched House of Cards on Netflix after an OTA update from 1165 to 1169 (Blocked the addresses for the updates in my router, foolish didn't check enable... doh!)

The judder is absolutely terrible, shocking they can let an update be published like that.
This is exactly, word for word, what happened to me. I'm still waiting for an update to fix the judder; have played around with Auto Motion Plus settings to reduce its noticability.
post #26952 of 36726 Old 06-14-2017, 05:54 AM

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSpeed View Post

Can you try 1180? I found it better, but I am not so skillful in detecting all those other issues or my sources are not presenting then. I primarily watch movies from the Blu-Ray and Hulu from a Roku stick. I found however the OTA signal is not looking as good as before, even when they are 720 or 1080.

If you upgrade, let us know your impressions. I hope I would stayed at 1165 or before, but mine also did an auto update without permission...Auto Update was off!

I was planning to do exactly what you did... I will make sure I hit "enable"
gambaa likes this.
post #26953 of 36726 Old 06-14-2017, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 12
nobody can give a good review on 1180 regarding the PQ/image quality??

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
post #26954 of 36726 Old 06-14-2017, 08:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richard View Post

Did you try turning ON "LED Clear Motion"?

If "everything was fine with the TV for the first 2-3 months" as you said, maybe you can try a "Factory Reset". (Just make sure to write down all your settings beforehand.)

Richard
LED Clear motion gives me a massive headache and I can still see the blur nothing changes. I did a factory rest from the service menu while running 1170 and aside from having to go through setup again it looked the same. Is there away to disable device detection? I keep getting the message when I change inputs on my AVR that a new device was detected setup now. I don't care about this function, I just want a display.

Thats what I cannot get either, that it was fine in the beginning. But maybe I was fixated on something else. I think in the beginning I was obsessed with getting the right picture calibration I was not searching for blur. Thats why I think its me I am constantly looking to see if its gone. Knowing right well it will always be there i just have to unsee it. The same thing happened with my H7150 and it drove me nuts until one day I stopped seeing it. Anyone know the pixel response of the H7150 for comparison? I read somewhere that the H7150 might have 55ms which is more than double the 18ms of the KS which is even stranger why does a faster TV make this effect more prevalent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by multicore View Post
Well, forgive me for stating the obvious, but have you tried connecting directly to the OCB and skipping the Onkyo?
I have not tried bypassing the Onkyo. It took me a whole day to wire everything so I don't want to change anything. I am going to try using the internal apps a bit more to see if I can still notice it with those. That even bypasses the HDMI.

I think I am obsessing too much. What do you think?
Terminader likes this.
post #26955 of 36726 Old 06-14-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambaa View Post

It looks fantastic until things start moving
Terminader and gambaa like this.
post #26956 of 36726 Old 06-14-2017, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1207 Post(s)
Liked: 1284
Quote:
So you confirm it was 1180 that reset it? I was not sure because I reset my TV last week for something else, so I was not sure if I just failed to to turn those things back but I was leaning to it being 1180.

If it was 1180 that is probably encouraging because that likely means it was a more fundamental firmware update likely having a more material impact. Perhaps a placebo but blacks, like black bars, looked more uniform after the update. Also, when scenes went to a dark scene or completely black frames, like right before commercials sometimes, the screen instantly dimmed to complete dark/black where before 1180 (on 1169) it seemed like there was lag with the backlight dimming having a delay and gradual dimming for those same type of scenes instead of it seeming more instant as it does did to me with 1180.
I've also noticed setting resets occurring from time to time with other, earlier updates. Not unique to 1180.
NTC, Terminader and gambaa like this.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931

Last edited by Rolls-Royce; 06-14-2017 at 09:44 AM.
post #26957 of 36726 Old 06-14-2017, 09:15 AM

how is 1180 on gaming or youtube 4K video

Terminader likes this.
post #26958 of 36726 Old 06-14-2017, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
LED Clear motion gives me a massive headache and I can still see the blur nothing changes. I did a factory rest from the service menu while running 1170 and aside from having to go through setup again it looked the same. Is there away to disable device detection? I keep getting the message when I change inputs on my AVR that a new device was detected setup now. I don't care about this function, I just want a display.

Thats what I cannot get either, that it was fine in the beginning. But maybe I was fixated on something else. I think in the beginning I was obsessed with getting the right picture calibration I was not searching for blur. Thats why I think its me I am constantly looking to see if its gone. Knowing right well it will always be there i just have to unsee it. The same thing happened with my H7150 and it drove me nuts until one day I stopped seeing it. Anyone know the pixel response of the H7150 for comparison? I read somewhere that the H7150 might have 55ms which is more than double the 18ms of the KS which is even stranger why does a faster TV make this effect more prevalent?

I have not tried bypassing the Onkyo. It took me a whole day to wire everything so I don't want to change anything. I am going to try using the internal apps a bit more to see if I can still notice it with those. That even bypasses the HDMI.

I think I am obsessing too much. What do you think?
You might not have to physically bypass the Onkyo. If it's like the last two Onkyos I had, you can turn OFF the video processor and video will go straight through from the source without any alteration. Setting to "bypass" won't do it--the processor is still active and any signal restrictions it imposes (scan rates, color spaces, etc.) will still apply. Look for a menu item such as video conversion on/off, for example. I do have to say that this type of processing control has in the past been limited to the mid-to-upper models that have a separate video processor such as a Reon or Marvell Qdeo. The lower-cost models generally have an SoC that doesn't offer it.
Terminader likes this.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
post #26959 of 36726 Old 06-14-2017, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
So you confirm it was 1180 that reset it? I was not sure because I reset my TV last week for something else, so I was not sure if I just failed to to turn those things back but I was leaning to it being 1180.

If it was 1180 that is probably encouraging because that likely means it was a more fundamental firmware update likely having a more material impact. Perhaps a placebo but blacks, like black bars, looked more uniform after the update. Also, when scenes went to a dark scene or completely black frames, like right before commercials sometimes, the screen instantly dimmed to complete dark/black where before 1180 (on 1169) it seemed like there was lag with the backlight dimming having a delay and gradual dimming for those same type of scenes instead of it seeming more instant as it does did to me with 1180.

I installed 1180 from 1168 and none of my settings changed at all. ECO settings remained off, picture settings were the same and my PS4 Pro worked the same as before the update(ie. fit to screen didn't change).

Not sure why it resets things for some and not others. Maybe it was because he was on 1169 vs. me on 1168.
Terminader likes this.
post #26960 of 36726 Old 06-14-2017, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyma45 View Post

This sounds like a streaming issue. Internet streams can be like the weather in spring, always changing - but usually stabilizing after a moment or two. And UHD streams, of course, require more umph than HD 1080.

As for HDR not looking better than SDR, and sometimes looking worse, remember 4K does require a stronger internet stream; but that aside, my experience is that HDR is a subtle difference, at best.

I've gone as far as to keep a non-HDR 4K Amazon Fire handy for times when that will actually work best. IMHO, HD 1080 and Dolby 5.1 surround sound is still a great, and reliable, home theater format. I advocate 4K (and immersive surround formats), but my experience with all of that "cutting edge" equipment is that there is still much work to be done. I'm eying 2020 before we see anything finalized as a standard beyond HD/5.1, but I am staying tuned. Pun intended.
jeep05, Terminader and Johnnyma45 like this.

Last edited by Larry Rosenberg; 06-14-2017 at 10:32 AM.
post #26961 of 36726 Old 06-14-2017, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:

I will try to do brief comparison, currently on 1169 and will be upgrading tonight or tomorrow.

Currently suffer from;
  1. Stuttering/Judder of cable
  2. The image does not pop a much as it did before
  3. re-did all my settings for Movie mode, ended up using Standard, as it looked better. Only difference was the disabled 10 point settings I can't edit on standard.
gambaa likes this.

Last edited by Hiredgoon; 06-14-2017 at 11:36 AM.
post #26962 of 36726 Old 06-14-2017, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 581
Does anyone have an email address for Samsung for consumer suggestions? The only link I could find on the Samsung site for CEO goes to a location in India.
post #26963 of 36726 Old 06-14-2017, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post
I just updated to the latest CU insider build and brightness is still proper at 45 (via GTX 1080ti).

After the Win10cu update my 65KS8000 reverted back to "PC"... again, this 'smart feature' is frustrating to say the least.

Time to see if MS fixed HDR under CU, doubt it.

- Jason

Figured it out. The update switched my Pc from using Nvidia color settings to using default and it was outputting limited and my TV was set to black level high.
Rolls-Royce likes this.

LG 55C9, Samsung 55KS8000, Panasonic 50VT25
post #26964 of 36726 Old 06-14-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
You might not have to physically bypass the Onkyo. If it's like the last two Onkyos I had, you can turn OFF the video processor and video will go straight through from the source without any alteration. Setting to "bypass" won't do it--the processor is still active and any signal restrictions it imposes (scan rates, color spaces, etc.) will still apply. Look for a menu item such as video conversion on/off, for example. I do have to say that this type of processing control has in the past been limited to the mid-to-upper models that have a separate video processor such as a Reon or Marvell Qdeo. The lower-cost models generally have an SoC that doesn't offer it.
The only video processing it offers is 1080p > 4k and I have that turned off. It has passthrough when the unit is off I would guess that sends the signal straight through as well. But I will have no sound.
post #26965 of 36726 Old 06-14-2017, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The only video processing it offers is 1080p > 4k and I have that turned off. It has passthrough when the unit is off I would guess that sends the signal straight through as well. But I will have no sound.
Check your Onkyo owner's manual for the correct menu item if available. My current Denon uses "I/P Scaling" as the menu item that turns off its processor, but I don't remember exact wording for my Onkyos. Both used the Reon processor, and it could be turned off and on by the user in case of need. For me, that was 3D, which an active Reon caused some artifacting with. When the Reon was off, those artifacts disappeared.

And I'm not suggesting that you leave it off. For this purpose, if you still get video with the Onkyo turned OFF, as long as the video circuitry isn't active with it in standby, it'll work. All you're doing is testing whether or not you still have the issues with the receiver "out of the loop", so to speak.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."

Last edited by Rolls-Royce; 06-14-2017 at 12:00 PM.
post #26966 of 36726 Old 06-14-2017, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
how is 1180 on gaming or youtube 4K video

I have been running it for almost a week and have been pleased with image quality and motion on both the Pro and XB1S.
I haven't seen the motion issues that some are having and since I use it very little for film content I haven't seen judder either.
YouTube seems to launch quickly and image quality is pretty great watching E3 coverage over the week.
I have tried using the Pro's YouTube app and it is very spotty compared to Samsung's.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
gambaa likes this.
post #26967 of 36726 Old 06-14-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post
I have been running it for almost a week and have been pleased with image quality and motion on both the Pro and XB1S.
I haven't seen the motion issues that some are having and since I use it very little for film content I haven't seen judder either.
YouTube seems to launch quickly and image quality is pretty great watching E3 coverage over the week.
I have tried using the Pro's YouTube app and it is very spotty compared to Samsung's.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
thank you so much.

by the way. did you see any increase on image quality. How is this firmware compared to previous ones.

post #26968 of 36726 Old 06-14-2017, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I had jitter/judder issues with my OTA signal when I used film mode. Once I turned that off it was fine.

Check that Film Mode is off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #26969 of 36726 Old 06-14-2017, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Can anyone confirm this?

Firmware 1180.5

4K UHD Movie playing on XB1S. Using Cal Day, HDR will not enable. I switch to Movie while the movie is playing, and HDR pops on. I can now not switch back to Cal Day. I select it, click it, and it just stays on Movie. The TV will though switch to Natural, Dynamic, and Movie... Just not Cal Day or Cal Night.

I can select back to Cal Day or Cal Night when I exit the Bluray playback, just not during bluray playback after switching it to Movie to get HDR to be enabled.

This didn't happen before 1180.5.

Not much of an issue, as Movie mode is calibrated the same as Cal Day. Just would like to stay on Cal Day and have HDR enabled. At the moment, Cal Day doesn't seem to be activating HDR, at least through the XB1S Bluray app.
post #26970 of 36726 Old 06-14-2017, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Is there a way to force close or reset the YouTube app without unplugging the tv. This issue is really annoying now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
denon s740h , extra , hdmi input , KS8000/KS8500 , no picture , one connect fail , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page