Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 909 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 180209Likes

post #27241 of 37007 Old 06-22-2017, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
Nits isn't a level of detail. It's a level of luminance. Apples and oranges. Again, it's a meaningless test. It doesn't tell you if the display is indeed tone mapping, or clipping, or where either occurs in the ST2084 luminance range. Or the quality of any tone mapping. Ask ConnectTEDD or any of the other pros who frequent here. HDR-and how each manufacturer handles it-is at this time a huge crapshoot.
Again, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Of course nits isn't a level of detail. By saying the TV can resolve detail up to 6000 nits, it means that the tone mapping of the TV is such that it will prevent it from clipping detail in areas of the screen that are brighter than its peak brightness, up to 6000 nits.

Vincent Teoh, who is far more knowledgeable than anyone here, uses the same tests to compare the tone mapping between three different displays:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27242 of 37007 Old 06-22-2017, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post

I also like this sweep through the entire colour gamut: [SPOILER]https://youtu.be/hsbM2c6-9Wg Hard to use as a test, but looks nice.
What would that sweep test indicate - what should we see/what does it tell us?
post #27243 of 37007 Old 06-22-2017, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 593
To prep for the new season of GOT I have been re-watching the entire series.

I have HBO through the Amazon app. There is absolutely nothing special about it. 1080P SDR. But WOW it looks so much better on the KS8000 than the first time I watched (and my old Mitsubishi did a decent job even if it was a bit long in the tooth). This is absolutely a great set.

Nothing profound to say here. Just a peaceful statement that this is really a nice TV and I hope we are all enjoying it for what it is.
ucsdsig, pg22, joetech and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27244 of 37007 Old 06-22-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Ebby View Post
To prep for the new season of GOT I have been re-watching the entire series.

I have HBO through the Amazon app. There is absolutely nothing special about it. 1080P SDR. But WOW it looks so much better on the KS8000 than the first time I watched (and my old Mitsubishi did a decent job even if it was a bit long in the tooth). This is absolutely a great set.

Nothing profound to say here. Just a peaceful statement that this is really a nice TV and I hope we are all enjoying it for what it is.
With the news that Westworld season 1 will be released on 4K blu ray, hopefully it means we'll get a 4K release of Game of Thrones as well. Even if it's just season 7 & 8.
King Richard likes this.
post #27245 of 37007 Old 06-22-2017, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_dot View Post
With the news that Westworld season 1 will be released on 4K blu ray, hopefully it means we'll get a 4K release of Game of Thrones as well. Even if it's just season 7 & 8.
Yeah I bought 1-6 steelbooks for the atmos tracks and the blu's look great upscaled but I would gladly double dip for a complete set in 4K HDR!!!

Sony XBR-65X930E (w/luminoodle)/Sony UBP-X800M2/Apple TV 4K/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X
Denon AVR-X6200W(Surround/Height)/Emotiva XPA-3(L/C/R)/AC Infinity Aircom T8 x2
DefTech SM 65 x3(L/C/R)/DefTech PM 1000 x4(Surround)/DefTech DI5.5R x4(Atmos/DTS X)
SVS PC-2000 x2(Subs)/Panamax M4300-PM(Main) & MD2(Subs)/Logitech Harmony Elite
post #27246 of 37007 Old 06-22-2017, 07:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
My contrast setting is 94

Ive seen some people say 100 for HDR stuff.

Any truth to this?
post #27247 of 37007 Old 06-22-2017, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminader View Post
That is old! I'll have to give it a try. I use the TV app for convenience.

Sent from my Samsung S7 Edge using Tapatalk
Just in case you or other CCU/KS8000 owners are interested, I came across this page, which explains the reason for the washed out colors:

Quote:
The Ultra's HDR performance, meanwhile, was not up to snuff. YouTube and Netflix consistently displayed washed-out colors. I confirmed this by playing the same content back on other devices using the same HDMI connection to ensure no visual settings on the TV played a factor. (Considering HDR uses a wider color spectrum as a selling point, that's, well, the worst test result you could expect.) I ran into issues loading HDR video via Vudu, as well, but that's because the Le Eco set I used for testing is only compatible with the HDR-10 standard, while Vudu currently relies on the Dolby Vision standard for HDR content.

Perhaps my Chromecast Ultra review unit has a bug or an issue with how it renders HDR-10 content. We have sent questions to Google and will update this report with any response.

(Update, November 30: Though Google was unable to answer our questions about HDR-10 performance, we eventually tested our way to an answer: the Chromecast Ultra does not transfer HDR-10 content the same way as other devices supporting that standard. Meaning, some TV sets, such as the SuperX55, misread the data, while other sets read it correctly. Case in point: YouTube's HDR content all renders correctly on an LG B6 OLED screen, and it looks quite good. Again, the SuperX55 could correctly read HDR-10 content from other streaming devices, including the Roku Premiere and the Xbox One S, so it's hard to say whether Le Eco's set is dropping the ball, or whether it's a Chromecast Ultra issue.)
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016...s-that-enough/

This is very unfortunate. I use my TV's YouTube and Netflix apps so that's not an issue, but one of the reasons I purchased the CCU was to play 4K movies from Google Play. While there are currently no 4K movies on Google Play that also have HDR, there will be soon most likely, since the app was recently updated to support HDR. Sucks that the HDR performance is so poor on certain TVs.

Last edited by T_dot; 06-22-2017 at 08:24 PM.
post #27248 of 37007 Old 06-22-2017, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
If a source wasn't filmed in 4K then do you just get excited about "fake 4k?"
post #27249 of 37007 Old 06-22-2017, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf7002 View Post
I find if the TV seems a bit sluggish (like after firmware updates, or if apps crash) then doing a soft reset of the TV usually helps. Hold down the power button until you see the SUHD logo come up. I find once the TV is ready to go, I let it sit for a couple minutes and then it's nice and snappy again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post
Welcome. Please read the first post and the included PDF in the first post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gp-se View Post
I would highly suggest using these settings, but give your eyes a few days to adjust, try them for at least a week. Leave the white balance at default because you cannot adjust then without using equipment, and every panel is different so copying settings could make things look worse!
Thanks for the replies and warm welcome everyone :) Especially gp-se, your detailed reply is much appreciated. I will try those TV and PS4 settings soon, I will update to 1180 via USB and reset White Balance values to default and try Color Space on Auto. Is there a link for the 1180 firmware update or any other good firmwares?

Reading the PDF again it's actually crossed off some of my questions and as well as your replies. However, I still have some questions remaining:
If I am to play Blu-rays or use the Netflix App on the PS4 (I only have the non-4KHDR Netflix and non-4KHDR standard Blu-Rays), do I need to manually change the TVs settings to 'Movie' and disable Game Mode, or will the TV automatically do this itself?
I am still unsure about my Soundbar-HDMIARC setup. Should I leave the YAS-106 connected via Optical to the OCB or go for a HDMIARC setup? Maybe there's a better setup I'm not aware of as well... I will buy any equipment needed if need be.

Once again, thanks everyone for the welcome! :)
post #27250 of 37007 Old 06-23-2017, 05:50 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 3
anyone else notice motion issues when playing fifa 17 in game mode?

whenever i play fifa 17 in game mode I still notice motion issues, like when the camera pans as i kick the ball to the other side of the field, you can see some faint lines with the movement. Anyone else notice motion issues

i have the 55 inch ks8500, firmware 1169
post #27251 of 37007 Old 06-23-2017, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbchicken View Post
whenever i play fifa 17 in game mode I still notice motion issues, like when the camera pans as i kick the ball to the other side of the field, you can see some faint lines with the movement. Anyone else notice motion issues

update to 1180.5

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
post #27252 of 37007 Old 06-23-2017, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gambaa View Post
update to 1180.5

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
how do i?
post #27253 of 37007 Old 06-23-2017, 06:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
how do i?
What country? It is on the US Samsung support download page.
post #27254 of 37007 Old 06-23-2017, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:

1169 is known to be buggy, read the last few thread pages about 1180 firmware, seems to be better. Upgrade if you wish.

Once on 1180, turn the Auto Motion Plus down lower to reduce the motion issues.
post #27255 of 37007 Old 06-23-2017, 06:49 AM

Hey folks,
I'm trying to update the firmware to 1180.5 from 1169.2, I've tried multiple methods however after saying 'yes' to checking USB for an update it keeps saying I have the latest update and yet I am still on 'current firmware: 1169'. I've tried following the exact steps the website has. The TV can access my files as I can navigate into it by Source.

I've extracted 1180.5 onto a USB 2.0 external Hard Drive (exFAT). I've tried:
Just extracting contents on first directory of USB
Extracting the contents onto a folder called 'Firmware Update' in first directory
Moving the .msd and 'info' files onto first directory of USB
Making a folder called '1' and extracting contents on to there

All these ways tried on the two USB ports provided on the OCB and yet still the same message telling me I have the latest firmware.

Seriously at a loss here, I'm not sure what to do. Please help!
post #27256 of 37007 Old 06-23-2017, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by checker9 View Post
What country? It is on the US Samsung support download page.
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ow...ries#downloads
post #27257 of 37007 Old 06-23-2017, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khriso View Post
Hey folks,
I'm trying to update the firmware to 1180.5 from 1169.2, I've tried multiple methods however after saying 'yes' to checking USB for an update it keeps saying I have the latest update and yet I am still on 'current firmware: 1169'. I've tried following the exact steps the website has. The TV can access my files as I can navigate into it by Source.

Extracting the contents onto a folder called 'Firmware Update' in first directory

All these ways tried on the two USB ports provided on the OCB and yet still the same message telling me I have the latest firmware.

Just put the files on the root of the thumb drive, also used a formatted drive. No folder, worked for me.
Terminader likes this.

Last edited by Hiredgoon; 06-23-2017 at 07:17 AM.
post #27258 of 37007 Old 06-23-2017, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hey folks,

I did it with a USB thumbdrive that had other folders and files but Samsung recommends a blank thumbdrive with just the extracted folders and files. That might help but again, I did it without using blank one.
Terminader likes this.
post #27259 of 37007 Old 06-23-2017, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is the Xbox One S a bad UHD player? Every time the TV goes into HDR mode it gets much dimmer when I use the One S, whether it is a UHD or video game (backlight at 20). I always have to either use dynamic contrast at low or med or up the gamma to 1 or 2. Do standalone UHD players "dim" the picture in HDR mode? I downloaded the LG Chess demo and OH MY GOD, that is what i expected to see when i bought this tv. Planet Earth 2 is the closest, PQ wise, to the LG demo but watching other UHD's, Logan and Kingsmen, on the One S have been a real letdown. I hear alot of praise for HDR but the only thing that has "wowed" me so far has been the LG demo and Planet Earth 2 otherwise i don't see much of a difference between blu-ray and UHD/HDR, at least on the Xbox One S.

my settings are pretty much Rtings with backlight at 10 with SDR content and 20 with HDR.

firmware 1165

thanks

Last edited by RandomHero918; 06-23-2017 at 07:22 AM. Reason: firmware added
post #27260 of 37007 Old 06-23-2017, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomHero918 View Post
Is the Xbox One S a bad UHD player? Every time the TV goes into HDR mode it gets much dimmer when I use the One S, whether it is a UHD or video game (backlight at 20). I always have to either use dynamic contrast at low or med or up the gamma to 1 or 2. Do standalone UHD players "dim" the picture in HDR mode? I downloaded the LG Chess demo and OH MY GOD, that is what i expected to see when i bought this tv. Planet Earth 2 is the closest, PQ wise, to the LG demo but watching other UHD's, Logan and Kingsmen, on the One S have been a real letdown. I hear alot of praise for HDR but the only thing that has "wowed" me so far has been the LG demo and Planet Earth 2 otherwise i don't see much of a difference between blu-ray and UHD/HDR, at least on the Xbox One S.

my settings are pretty much Rtings with backlight at 10 with SDR content and 20 with HDR.

firmware 1165

thanks
Yes, the Xbox One S is a bad player. It also depends on what movie you're watching. Keep in mind that movies are not made to look like tech demos. The director's intent has a lot to do with how a movie looks. HDR should still add a lot though, in terms of highlight & shadow detail, depth, natural looking colors, etc.
pg22 and RandomHero918 like this.
post #27261 of 37007 Old 06-23-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
I'm trying to update the firmware to 1180.5 from 1169.2
Figured it out. You have to make sure you download firmware from your region. I downloaded my initial update from the US download centre which was causing my problems. I'm from AU so when I downloaded the update from the AU download centre the update installed, finally.
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #27262 of 37007 Old 06-23-2017, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

firmware 1165

thanks
Make sure that Eco Mode or Motion Lighting options aren't inadvertently turned on (or Game Mode is activated). I use the X1S to play UHD discs and the PQ is fine.
Terminader and crakho like this.

Samsung 78KS9800
post #27263 of 37007 Old 06-23-2017, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsdsig View Post
Make sure that Eco Mode or Motion Lighting options aren't inadvertently turned on (or Game Mode is activated). I use the X1S to play UHD discs and the PQ is fine.
I second that. The PQ in HDR is pretty great using my XB1S.
It could be something to do with how the studio is mastering the disc for HDR and how it's implemented.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
ucsdsig and crakho like this.

Last edited by Dr.Shankenstein; 06-23-2017 at 10:29 AM.
post #27264 of 37007 Old 06-23-2017, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 5714 Post(s)
Liked: 8259
Quote:
Figured it out. You have to make sure you download firmware from your region. I downloaded my initial update from the US download centre which was causing my problems. I'm from AU so when I downloaded the update from the AU download centre the update installed, finally.
Great. But please help us to help you. Set your location in your profile - from the "User CP" section. That way, we would have seen straight away you were in Oz and it would have come to light sooner

Samsung carves up the world into 3, each having a "chassis" of this TV which is shown clearly at the start of the filename and on the "contact samsung" screen for software version:
T-JZMDEUC - Europe, CIS and (parts of) North Africa
T-JZMUABC - Australia, Asia Pacific, Middle East, Latin America and (parts of) North Africa
T-JZMAKUC - the continent of North America; South Korea

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #27265 of 37007 Old 06-23-2017, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 884
I've not upgraded to the Xbox One S, I'm using a Xbox One and have had no complaints about the PQ. Like anything, I've found it is usually all based on the source and (or) your picture settings.

Official Samsung KS8000/8500 Owners Information PDF
Living Room: LG 55LE5500 Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360 w/Kinect
Bedroom: VIZIO E470VL VIZIO VSB200 Sound Bar Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360
Inner Sanctum: Samsung 65KS8000, Halo XBox One, GoW Xbox 360, Onkyo HT-S5300
post #27266 of 37007 Old 06-23-2017, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
i may have misspoke about the PQ, i find the PQ to be great. my main concern is with the dimming when in HDR mode. I was just wondering if standalone UHD players also dim when in HDR mode.

thanks for the reply's though.
post #27267 of 37007 Old 06-23-2017, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked: 936
Quote:
Its a shame they don't show GOT day and date in 4K on something like Netflix or Amazon like they do with American Gods (which was stunning in 4k) and Better Call Saul. I know its because HBO have there own streaming service but still a shame.

Samsung UE55KS8000 | Pioneer SC-LX701 | Dune HD Pro 4K | Zidoo Z9S | Apple TV 4K | Nvidia Shield TV (2019) | Fire TV Stick 4K | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Player
post #27268 of 37007 Old 06-23-2017, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked: 667
Quote:
i may have misspoke about the PQ, i find the PQ to be great. my main concern is with the dimming when in HDR mode. I was just wondering if standalone UHD players also dim when in HDR mode.

thanks for the reply's though.
I have noticed that with some titles it will dim, but other are very vibrant.
It all depends on the 4k/HDR mastering likely.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
post #27269 of 37007 Old 06-23-2017, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:

Hi guys, my first post here. I'm having similar issues. Always had problems when trying to update with USB but now it's even worse.
I'm currently on 1169.2 and now i'm no longer getting the option to update via USB at all. The screen just goes black like i closed the menu.
The download file from Samsung is no longer a map with an msd file but just a single binary file without a map.
I tried a Dutch, Spanish and UK version and none of them seem to work because i don't even get the option to select USB update.

Could it be a bug and would a factory reset help?
post #27270 of 37007 Old 06-23-2017, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked: 1684
Quote:

Never had any issues with Fifa17 from my PS3 to this TV. Just great experiences...

Sent from my Samsung S7 Edge using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
denon s740h , extra , hdmi input , KS8000/KS8500 , no picture , one connect fail , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page