Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 921 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 180157Likes

post #27601 of 36960 Old 07-06-2017, 01:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1322 Post(s)
Liked: 1397
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post
Ahh, so then you didn't do a calibration. Just a settings adjustment. I'd leave the color at 50.

I think you'll be happy with the true calibration when you have it done. Me personally, I'd watch a couple movies before the calibration then watch them again after and compare the differences.

Enjoy!
I agree. By watching some high quality content now and until the calibration, Kinky, you will have a baseline in memory to compare the calibrated results to. You should see greater "depth" in the calibrated image. You also may notice reduced overall brightness, but this is common when the out of box torch setting are reined in. May I suggest you use a scene from a favorite movie that you've watched numerous times, and one that has a good balance of light and dark? Mine is the scene in Superman the Movie when he catches the "human fly" burglar and turns him over to Officer Mooney on the street. If I haven't screwed it up, I can see Christopher Reeve's abs in the suit as he talks to the policeman.
The_Donster likes this.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931

Last edited by Rolls-Royce; 07-06-2017 at 02:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27602 of 36960 Old 07-06-2017, 03:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I got baby fingerprints and drool all over my 65" ks now. This is my third set and from the previous ones I know that it is most likely impossible to get fingerprints cleaned (100%). I had samsung service guy come and look one previous set that I had and even he couldn't clean his own fingerprints off. I have been extremely carefull not to touch this one and even used gloves to hang this on the wall. But now this happened. I have the original microfiber cloth unopened that came with the tv and buying distilled water from pharmacy. I will see if it works but most likely not. What is the current recommended cleaning product for this tv?
post #27603 of 36960 Old 07-06-2017, 06:28 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillact View Post
Samsung connected to my TV and while connected you see a headset icon in top right corner.
The pictured of my screen is mirrored to Samsung. She didn't see the vertical banding so the signal is good.
The test pictures we tested as well and I could see the banding but she could not.

I have a feeling that this is a now a no win for me so I have decided to return it to Costco.
I returned mine to Costco as well. Vertical banding and dead pixels.

I got another from SamsClub (they still have some) and strangely, but not surprisingly as another user reported the same, the back wrapping plastic (just where you connect the video cable) was opened as well as the power connector... it is like the TV was checked before packaging. Box was not opened.

So, either Samsung is trying to stop the manufacturing issues doing another inspection or one of the three letters agency is now spying on me thru the TV... now that I know my TV is hacked as it connects to the internet on its own without permission ignoring my settings and privacy request... I am kind of worried. #OhWell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27604 of 36960 Old 07-06-2017, 06:32 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf7002 View Post
All I got out of this video was "PIXELZ!!!!", plus really dark video. 4K dark video, mind you!
LOL, I should have said.. "judder is the only". At least the guy made comments on its overall impressions and did a before and after video... for him at least, is not Placebo

I bet you or others here can do a better video than that one.
post #27605 of 36960 Old 07-06-2017, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by timosilakka View Post
I got baby fingerprints and drool all over my 65" ks now. This is my third set and from the previous ones I know that it is most likely impossible to get fingerprints cleaned (100%). I had samsung service guy come and look one previous set that I had and even he couldn't clean his own fingerprints off. I have been extremely carefull not to touch this one and even used gloves to hang this on the wall. But now this happened. I have the original microfiber cloth unopened that came with the tv and buying distilled water from pharmacy. I will see if it works but most likely not. What is the current recommended cleaning product for this tv?
If you do a search in the thread, there is a cleaning product that has been mentioned many, many times, so it shouldn't be too hard to find. I don't remember what was recommended, but I'm sure you'll find it quite easily. I just use a microfibre cloth that is ever so slightly damp and that gets most of it. A friend and I hung the TV without gloves, I've taken it down and put it up twice more without gloves, I've accidentally leaned against it with my forehead leaving marks several times - the only way I can tell where is if I shine a flashlight against it at odd angles and view from weird angles. I can't see under any other circumstance. So for me, it's "good enough" and I can't be bothered to get special cleaning fluid when the microfibre cloth does the job. If you want them completely gone, then try the suggested cleaning fluid you'll find with the search function, and report back to let us know how it worked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm10 View Post
LOL, I should have said.. "judder is the only". At least the guy made comments on its overall impressions and did a before and after video... for him at least, is not Placebo

I bet you or others here can do a better video than that one.
The video was hard to watch so I only made it about half way through, but yes it's nice that he made comments and attempted a before and after, even if the quality of the recording was very poor. Kudos for the attempt. I did notice an improvement in judder in his video. I've had mine judder once or twice and holding down the power button until I got the SUHD logo fixed it right up - it's like the TV needs a reboot once in a while. Other than that, mine has never juddered like that so the comparisons don't help me lol.

And yes, if I were to do a comparison video I'd make damn sure the video quality was on point in order to make any meaningful comparison!
Terminader likes this.

Samsung KS8000, Denon AVR-X3300W, Xbox One X, Samsung UBD-K8500 4K bluray player, Himedia Q5 Pro android box
post #27606 of 36960 Old 07-06-2017, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Black spots popping up in video

My tv recently updated to 1180 and afterwards I've noticed black spots/blips pop in when streaming video. They mostly appear around peoples' heads and faces if they're moving in a scene.

Took a screengrab from a video - just to the top right of the guy's head you should see the spot. It only appears for a split second, but in motion its noticeable and happens fairly frequently. Anyone encountered this and know what might be causing it? Auto motion settings are set at 3 & 3 for blur/judder and haven't touched those in awhile.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4995.PNG
Views:	183
Size:	941.5 KB
ID:	2221065  
post #27607 of 36960 Old 07-06-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
If you do a search in the thread, there is a cleaning product that has been mentioned many, many times, so it shouldn't be too hard to find. I don't remember what was recommended, but I'm sure you'll find it quite easily. I just use a microfibre cloth that is ever so slightly damp and that gets most of it. A friend and I hung the TV without gloves, I've taken it down and put it up twice more without gloves, I've accidentally leaned against it with my forehead leaving marks several times - the only way I can tell where is if I shine a flashlight against it at odd angles and view from weird angles. I can't see under any other circumstance. So for me, it's "good enough" and I can't be bothered to get special cleaning fluid when the microfibre cloth does the job. If you want them completely gone, then try the suggested cleaning fluid you'll find with the search function, and report back to let us know how it worked!

I got most of it out with the cloth and water but with flashligh I can still easily see all the fingerprints. Let's see if I can live with this now or then I will try the suggested fluid.
post #27608 of 36960 Old 07-06-2017, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1658 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by apette View Post
My tv recently updated to 1180 and afterwards I've noticed black spots/blips pop in when streaming video. They mostly appear around peoples' heads and faces if they're moving in a scene.

Took a screengrab from a video - just to the top right of the guy's head you should see the spot. It only appears for a split second, but in motion its noticeable and happens fairly frequently. Anyone encountered this and know what might be causing it? Auto motion settings are set at 3 & 3 for blur/judder and haven't touched those in awhile.
Trying turn off auto motion completely to test. Auto motion creates frames between frames in an effort to project where objects should be moving so that the transition between the actual frames is smoother. In that process, it could be creating those artifacts. So test with it completely off to see if it still does it.
Terminader and mrtickleuk like this.
post #27609 of 36960 Old 07-06-2017, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Missing guide

I can't get the guide to come up when pushing the channel button on the remote. Has worked up till now, about 6 months. Any procedures or settings I can do? Thanks

Samsung 55KS-800d
Oppo 103D
Onkyo TX-NR609
post #27610 of 36960 Old 07-06-2017, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I got most of it out with the cloth and water but with flashligh I can still easily see all the fingerprints. Let's see if I can live with this now or then I will try the suggested fluid.
It never hurts to have cleaning fluid for those more stubborn sports. And I'm pretty sure it was relatively cheap. I can't see any spots at all ever unless, as I said, I shine a flashlight at the right angle and view from an odd angle, and then only barely. And that's not the way I use my TV so it doesn't bother me. There's a time when it would've driven me nuts but I've been learning to let stuff like that go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno View Post
I can't get the guide to come up when pushing the channel button on the remote. Has worked up till now, about 6 months. Any procedures or settings I can do? Thanks
I've never watched tv stations on this TV so have no specific advice about the guide, since I've never used it or would even know how to access it. But as general advice the first thing I do if the TV acts up is to hold down the power button with the TV on for 5-10 seconds, until I get the SUHD logo pop up. Once the TV reboots, I would give it a couple minutes then try the guide again.

Samsung KS8000, Denon AVR-X3300W, Xbox One X, Samsung UBD-K8500 4K bluray player, Himedia Q5 Pro android box
post #27611 of 36960 Old 07-06-2017, 09:42 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 79
OK so I got my panel switched yesterday (after the first one was bend in half and tech support had to order a new one) .

End result, same thing. The technician said all KS8000 displays have a vertical contrast line smack in the middle because the panel is made from two sub panels.

The new panel seems to be better but it's still there..

WARNING can't be unseen
To test it easily, switch local dimming off, full backlight setting (or HDR source), and play a video with a completely dark screen (black contrast is the worst). If you are looking from anything higher than 20 degrees off center you should see it, starts right above the SAMSUNG logo on the bezel
post #27612 of 36960 Old 07-06-2017, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
It never hurts to have cleaning fluid for those more stubborn sports. And I'm pretty sure it was relatively cheap. I can't see any spots at all ever unless, as I said, I shine a flashlight at the right angle and view from an odd angle, and then only barely. And that's not the way I use my TV so it doesn't bother me. There's a time when it would've driven me nuts but I've been learning to let stuff like that go!

I've never watched tv stations on this TV so have no specific advice about the guide, since I've never used it or would even know how to access it. But as general advice the first thing I do if the TV acts up is to hold down the power button with the TV on for 5-10 seconds, until I get the SUHD logo pop up. Once the TV reboots, I would give it a couple minutes then try the guide again.
Lonewolf, thanks, held it down and works now.
Terminader and Lonewolf7002 like this.

Samsung 55KS-800d
Oppo 103D
Onkyo TX-NR609
post #27613 of 36960 Old 07-06-2017, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 884
Hey @timosilakka , do you have your tv mounted? If not, I would get it up on the wall if possible. Otherwise you are going to lose your mind trying to keep it clean. I speak from experience. Here's what I found when I was going through my Amazon browsing history and I think this was what was recommended? I haven't picked it up or used it, but I did pick up these microfiber cloths that were recommended.

Official Samsung KS8000/8500 Owners Information PDF
Living Room: LG 55LE5500 Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360 w/Kinect
Bedroom: VIZIO E470VL VIZIO VSB200 Sound Bar Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360
Inner Sanctum: Samsung 65KS8000, Halo XBox One, GoW Xbox 360, Onkyo HT-S5300
post #27614 of 36960 Old 07-06-2017, 10:39 AM

Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Donster View Post
Hey @timosilakka , do you have your tv mounted? If not, I would get it up on the wall if possible. Otherwise you are going to lose your mind trying to keep it clean. I speak from experience. Here's what I found when I was going through my Amazon browsing history and I think this was what was recommended? I haven't picked it up or used it, but I did pick up these microfiber cloths that were recommended.

I have it mounted on the wall but a bit too low. When I sit on the couch my head is in the middle so I look straight forward or slightly down. I guess quite many people like to look up when they watch tv. I have noticed this in many setup pictures.
post #27615 of 36960 Old 07-06-2017, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
I have it mounted on the wall but a bit too low. When I sit on the couch my head is in the middle. I guess quite many people like to look up when they watch tv. I have noticed this in many setup pictures.

I see this everywhere, but I want my TV to be at eye level when I'm in the sofa like you. I hate it when they put the TV above the fireplace like a picture, that's just wrong in my book, far too high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #27616 of 36960 Old 07-06-2017, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by checker9 View Post
Trying turn off auto motion completely to test. Auto motion creates frames between frames in an effort to project where objects should be moving so that the transition between the actual frames is smoother. In that process, it could be creating those artifacts. So test with it completely off to see if it still does it.
I don't know if I am extra sensitive to judder, but with this TV I can see judder (Motion off), specially when there is a diagonal panning effect. Sometimes horizontal panning there would be some juddering. I tried so many different combination in the Auto Motion settings...

Love to here others combinations
post #27617 of 36960 Old 07-06-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
I have it mounted on the wall but a bit too low. When I sit on the couch my head is in the middle so I look straight forward or slightly down. I guess quite many people like to look up when they watch tv. I have noticed this in many setup pictures.

Same here. This also means e.g. that my center speaker is mounted above the screen while I guess most people have it below since the AVR I am using only can higher the center channel not lower.
post #27618 of 36960 Old 07-06-2017, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It's been a while since I've thought about this, so my memory is likely slightly fuzzy. My recollection is that the... THX? CEDIA? recommendation be that your eyelevel be 1/3 of the way down the TV when at your normal seated position. So that 2/3s of the TV is below your eyelevel and 1/3 above. Although if I'm a bit off on that don't burn me at the stake! I believe this is partly due to the way we view the world (we don't spend our time looking up at everything in our life) and partly due to ergonomics. Extended viewing with a TV mounted above a fireplace must make for one heck of a sore neck and fatigued eyes! Of course, if you always watch TV while reclined with your feet up, a higher mounting position would be better. Because of my media stand, my TV is mounted with eye level about 1/3 from the bottom, or eye level a bit lower than that. If I mounted the TV any lower then part of it will be blocked. It works for me.

post #27619 of 36960 Old 07-06-2017, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked: 667
Quote:
I was able to clean fingerprints and pretty much everything my 3 year old could throw at this display.
The one thing you have to make sure you do is wait until the TV has completely cooled down before cleaning. Otherwise they will smear or get streaks.

This is what I have used for awhile.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Digital-I...&wl13=&veh=sem

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
The_Donster likes this.

Last edited by Dr.Shankenstein; 07-06-2017 at 11:22 AM.
post #27620 of 36960 Old 07-06-2017, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1006 Post(s)
Liked: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
And so do I.

"How do I search?" - You just search.
And hello to Jason Issacs!
mrtickleuk likes this.

Samsung UE55KS8000 | Pioneer SC-LX701 | Dune HD Pro 4K | Zidoo Z9S | Apple TV 4K | Nvidia Shield TV (2019) | Fire TV Stick 4K | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Player
post #27621 of 36960 Old 07-06-2017, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotarydude View Post
I don't know if I am extra sensitive to judder, but with this TV I can see judder (Motion off), specially when there is a diagonal panning effect. Sometimes horizontal panning there would be some juddering. I tried so many different combination in the Auto Motion settings...

Love to here others combinations
I am in the same boat as you this TV really enhances the poor motion resolution inherit in video. I stopped calling it judder because its really no judder its a subtle image duplication caused by the PWM backlight flicker. I don't have the exact term for it all I know is some people like you and myself are especially sensitive to it. It is getting to the point for me that I am ready to put the TV up for sale and get a different one. Which stinks because I finally have a perfectly calibrated image, at least to my eyes, but the motion bluring is becoming too much. I wonder if my backlight is not performing correctly since I cannot see this effect on any other TV.
post #27622 of 36960 Old 07-06-2017, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Quoted: 5514 Post(s)
Liked: 7981
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolbymandts View Post
OK so I got my panel switched yesterday (after the first one was bend in half and tech support had to order a new one) .

End result, same thing. The technician said all KS8000 displays have a vertical contrast line smack in the middle because the panel is made from two sub panels.
seriously?! Never heard of that idea before.

Quote:
WARNING can't be unseen
To test it easily, switch local dimming off, full backlight setting (or HDR source), and play a video with a completely dark screen (black contrast is the worst). If you are looking from anything higher than 20 degrees off center you should see it, starts right above the SAMSUNG logo on the bezel
OK well I've just looked really hard under those conditions, and can't see a thing! Maybe my European KS7000 has a single panel. Can someone post a picture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blenky View Post
And hello to Jason Issacs!
Yay! Someone got the reference!
Rudy1 likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 07-06-2017 at 11:54 AM.
post #27623 of 36960 Old 07-06-2017, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
seriously?! Never heard of that idea before.
OK well I've just looked really hard under those conditions, and can't see a thing! Maybe my European KS7000 has a single panel. Can someone post a picture?
Here is a link to a pic I posted (blue is not the best color to see it on)

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post53440426
post #27624 of 36960 Old 07-06-2017, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolbymandts View Post

WARNING can't be unseen
I noticed that very early on when the backlight is at full and there is a black screen and wondered if there were actually two distinct panels. I can only see it if I am at a very extreme angel. That is the least of the problems I have with this TV.
Terminader likes this.
post #27625 of 36960 Old 07-06-2017, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 884
Quote:
Here's a couple of pics I took a while back of my set up with a Sanus Tilt mount. I'd say it looks about eye level to me when I'm sitting in my chair? Not much has changed outside of moving some components around. Still haven't hooked up the rest of my speakers or bought a rug to cover up the wires. Need to start doing some measuring to get the room finally together.

Official Samsung KS8000/8500 Owners Information PDF
Living Room: LG 55LE5500 Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360 w/Kinect
Bedroom: VIZIO E470VL VIZIO VSB200 Sound Bar Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360
Inner Sanctum: Samsung 65KS8000, Halo XBox One, GoW Xbox 360, Onkyo HT-S5300
post #27626 of 36960 Old 07-06-2017, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 2593 Post(s)
Liked: 1850
Quote:
Yay! Someone got the reference!
What?

I'm familiar with Jason Isaacs (character actor, often plays villains, and does a good American accent), but not the quote.
post #27627 of 36960 Old 07-06-2017, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 2593 Post(s)
Liked: 1850
Quote:
I wonder whether it could depend on the screen size? I've not seen any indication that my 49" (US) KS8000 has more than one physical panel.
post #27628 of 36960 Old 07-06-2017, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
What?

I'm familiar with Jason Isaacs (character actor, often plays villains, and does a good American accent), but not the quote.
It's one of many in-jokes from the BBC's flagship film review programme (also available as a podcast for "colonial commoners" ) Have a read of this:
http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/witt...view-programme
blenky likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 07-06-2017 at 03:41 PM.
post #27629 of 36960 Old 07-06-2017, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Quote:
It's been a while since I've thought about this, so my memory is likely slightly fuzzy. My recollection is that the... THX? CEDIA? recommendation be that your eyelevel be 1/3 of the way down the TV when at your normal seated position. So that 2/3s of the TV is below your eyelevel and 1/3 above. Although if I'm a bit off on that don't burn me at the stake! I believe this is partly due to the way we view the world (we don't spend our time looking up at everything in our life) and partly due to ergonomics. Extended viewing with a TV mounted above a fireplace must make for one heck of a sore neck and fatigued eyes! Of course, if you always watch TV while reclined with your feet up, a higher mounting position would be better. Because of my media stand, my TV is mounted with eye level about 1/3 from the bottom, or eye level a bit lower than that. If I mounted the TV any lower then part of it will be blocked. It works for me.

The 'suggested' viewing condition is actually to have eye level 1/3 from the bottom of the screen.

Obviously this becomes more of a factor as screen size increases (view distance relative to screen size usually has more of an impact for most people).

Agreed, mounting well above a fireplace is common but honestly one of the worst placements for a display (for a variety of reasons).

- Jason
sparky7, Terminader and mrtickleuk like this.

HT = Epson 5050ub @133" / Marantz SR6013 7.3.4 Atmos / B&K 5000 II amp / Boston VR2/VR12/CR67 speakers / Rythmik 12" x2 / CV 15" / Sony x800 / Panasonic UB820 VOTE BLUE
Media Room = Sony 65x930e / Denon x3300 /Klipsch speakers /Velodyne subs /Sony x700 /PS4 Pro + PSVR/WiiU/PS3/360/Wii/ 2080 TI - 9900K PC / Multi-Arcade / Virtual Pinball TRE45ON
post #27630 of 36960 Old 07-06-2017, 03:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
I wonder whether it could depend on the screen size? I've not seen any indication that my 49" (US) KS8000 has more than one physical panel.
good point. Mine is 55". And the aspect ratio of each half would be 8:9 which is pretty weird. I didn't know they made panels that shape.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
denon s740h , extra , hdmi input , KS8000/KS8500 , no picture , one connect fail , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page