Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 936 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 180085Likes

post #28051 of 36893 Old 07-22-2017, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Still hoping for HDMI 2.0b. If anyone who has updated to 1201 has an Nvidia Shield, or any other device that supports HLG, try to see if you can play an HLG video through it and if it triggers HDR on the TV.
mrtickleuk likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28052 of 36893 Old 07-22-2017, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_dot View Post
Still hoping for HDMI 2.0b. If anyone who has updated to 1201 has an Nvidia Shield, or any other device that supports HLG, try to see if you can play an HLG video through it and if it triggers HDR on the TV.
I'll try that later. I have a few shields. I'm guessing I can DL a HLG video from Demo UHD 3d or whatever that site is. I remember seeing one.
post #28053 of 36893 Old 07-22-2017, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contuzzi View Post
I'll try that later. I have a few shields. I'm guessing I can DL a HLG video from Demo UHD 3d or whatever that site is. I remember seeing one.
You can download it from here: http://4kmedia.org/lg-cymatic-jazz-hdr-hlg-uhd-4k-demo/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28054 of 36893 Old 07-22-2017, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 908 Post(s)
Liked: 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_dot View Post
Be sure to count the sweat droplets on the DJ to confirm HDR!

Sent from my Samsung S8+ using Tapatalk
Rudy1, blenky, The_Donster and 2 others like this.
post #28055 of 36893 Old 07-22-2017, 06:15 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 4368
Quote:
Originally Posted by J360 View Post
Hi

I have a 65" KS8000 that has an odd problem...

I have taken a picture of said problem showing what looks like backlight bleed actually coming through the screen, there is a visable line appearing about an inch in from the bottom left side.

I have only had the TV for just over 6 months and would like to know how to catagorise the defect...

Can anyone shed some light? Pardon the pun...

From your pic, it looks like it could be from the anti-reflective layer.

Try gently massaging the screen with a soft microfiber cloth and see if it helps.

Richard
Terminader likes this.
post #28056 of 36893 Old 07-22-2017, 09:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Looking at getting a 4K set and was impressed with the contrast ratio numbers of almost 7000:1 and a very favorable review. That being on Ratings.com. The panel on the set they reviewed was a FA01 but the vendors I have contacted will not check the version number. I know the other panel is a AA01 which is a AUO panel. I cannot find that panel on panellook.com to see the specs. Has anyone tested the panel for numbers? I did check the 12 panels that are offered by AUO on the website and their CR range from 4000 to 6000. Any experience with a 65" with a AUO panel would be helpful in my decision to purchase this set just in case I do not get a Samsung panel.
post #28057 of 36893 Old 07-22-2017, 11:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno View Post
Any body found an answer to the sound drop outs? Will happen when watching TV plugged into the box. Thanks

The audio drop out is a consistent issue. I seem to run into it after a firmware update, but that could be just a coincidence. Have no idea what causes it, but the solution one of the other owners came up with was to unplug it with your tv on, push the power button 10-15 times and plug back in 5 minutes later. I had to do this last night despite being on the 1180 firmware for a bit now.

On a side note, I disconnected my Samsung account from my KS. No more signing in for this kid @mrtickleuk .

Official Samsung KS8000/8500 Owners Information PDF
Living Room: LG 55LE5500 Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360 w/Kinect
Bedroom: VIZIO E470VL VIZIO VSB200 Sound Bar Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360
Inner Sanctum: Samsung 65KS8000, Halo XBox One, GoW Xbox 360, Onkyo HT-S5300
post #28058 of 36893 Old 07-22-2017, 11:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1345 Post(s)
Liked: 2221
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroys88 View Post
Looking at getting a 4K set and was impressed with the contrast ratio numbers of almost 7000:1 and a very favorable review. That being on Ratings.com. The panel on the set they reviewed was a FA01 but the vendors I have contacted will not check the version number. I know the other panel is a AA01 which is a AUO panel. I cannot find that panel on panellook.com to see the specs. Has anyone tested the panel for numbers? I did check the 12 panels that are offered by AUO on the website and their CR range from 4000 to 6000. Any experience with a 65" with a AUO panel would be helpful in my decision to purchase this set just in case I do not get a Samsung panel.
I have a 65" AA02 panel. No issues with it all.
Terminader likes this.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #28059 of 36893 Old 07-23-2017, 12:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi everyone,

Does anyone else seem to suffer from a lot of UI lag on this TV regardless of firmware version (I'm on 1180)? I just feel like the menu speed is so sloppy and not sure if it's just me. Thanks for any advice.
post #28060 of 36893 Old 07-23-2017, 01:08 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Inspecting new tv, what do I look for?

I'm taking delivery of a 65" KS8000(manufacture refurbished) on Tuesday. Since it is refurbished I want to inspect it right away to make sure the panel is in good condition. Are there any particular concerns to be aware of with this set?
I read the through the first 30 pages of this thread and noticed there was some debate about light bleed. Is this to be expected? What would be good test material to see if it is excessive? I'm coming from a Panasonic plasma and have never owned an LED set.

My Theater build
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post21268949
xboxone gamertag: MASTERpTWINKIE
PS3: zaczimer
post #28061 of 36893 Old 07-23-2017, 02:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Quoted: 5382 Post(s)
Liked: 7775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminader View Post
Be sure to count the sweat droplets on the DJ to confirm HDR!
Grrrr!
Terminader and The_Donster like this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #28062 of 36893 Old 07-23-2017, 05:06 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Donster View Post
The audio drop out is a consistent issue. I seem to run into it after a firmware update, but that could be just a coincidence. Have no idea what causes it, but the solution one of the other owners came up with was to unplug it with your tv on, push the power button 10-15 times and plug back in 5 minutes later. I had to do this last night despite being on the 1180 firmware for a bit now.

On a side note, I disconnected my Samsung account from my KS. No more signing in for this kid @mrtickleuk .
The Donster, thanks I was wondering if it was hardware related, starts losing sound when it heats up. Will try that though.

Samsung 55KS-800d
Oppo 103D
Onkyo TX-NR609
post #28063 of 36893 Old 07-23-2017, 06:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post
I have a 65" AA02 panel. No issues with it all.
Thanks for the info. I went back to panelook and found the active 4K panels from AUO and the maximum contrast ratio on all the panels was 4000:1. In line with the AUO panel that is in my UN65H6350. I had seen a UN65KS8000 at Best Buy with a Samsung panel with version FA01 last year and was impressed on the perceived contrast levels were on that set. In line with what Ratings.com found. It is a shame that Samsung is still using different panels on the same models. On some model lines the Innolux or AUO panels actually perform better and have better black levels, contrast levels and response times. On this model and size it the difference in CR between the AUO and Samsung panel is almost 3000. A difference that one would notice. Both vendors that are selling open box sets on Ebay have both told me that they do not and will not check the version number.
CrazyAstigmatism likes this.
post #28064 of 36893 Old 07-23-2017, 06:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Any body found an answer to the sound drop outs? Will happen when watching TV plugged into the box. Thanks
First I have seen talk of the drop out issue, I too have this issue and thought it was the cable box, nope, its something with the TV reading this, I bought a sound bar and still get drop outs. was thinking of trying to connect the optical and see if that makes any difference. But kind of just gave up on it and live with it now.
post #28065 of 36893 Old 07-23-2017, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascar24 View Post
First I have seen talk of the drop out issue, I too have this issue and thought it was the cable box, nope, its something with the TV reading this, I bought a sound bar and still get drop outs. was thinking of trying to connect the optical and see if that makes any difference. But kind of just gave up on it and live with it now.
nascar24, I tried/am hooked up to optical and it still happens. If watching a dvd and the sound goes directly to the receiver, no problems. Happens for me when connected through the one box.

Samsung 55KS-800d
Oppo 103D
Onkyo TX-NR609
post #28066 of 36893 Old 07-23-2017, 07:29 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I'm having a new sound problem with my tv. I have a 5.1 system and my tv sends everything out bitstream via hdmi to my receiver. Up until a couple of days ago, the tv always recognized what type of audio format was playing and output appropriately to the receiver.

Then, for the first time, I used Samsungs (DLNA) player to play some videos on my home pc. The source was 5.1, but it only output stereo. Based on help received here, I learned this was a problem with the tv switching to PCM even if it's set up to bitstream. So I went in the expert audio settings to manually switch the playback to DTS and it worked great.

However, ever since then, my tv will ALWAYS play stereo sound, no matter what the source (Xbox bluray, cable box, and Hulu, amazon, Netflix, and tv versions of those same streaming apps.). So now, no matter what the source, I'm always having to go im and manually set the Audio.

Everything worked flawlessly until I went into advanced audio for the first time to fix the sound for the DLNA player. Now the sound is ALWAYS stereo unless I manually set it.

Is there a way to fix this and have my tv go back to the way it was?

Also, on a separate note, is Samsung ever going to fix the issue with plex requiring to be reinstalled in order to function every time I turn on my tv? This is also beyond annoying.
post #28067 of 36893 Old 07-23-2017, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by talk show host View Post

Also, on a separate note, is Samsung ever going to fix the issue with plex requiring to be reinstalled in order to function every time I turn on my tv? This is also beyond annoying.

Is anyone else having this issue? I am not. Are you signing into the Plex app using your Plex account?
post #28068 of 36893 Old 07-23-2017, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by cydeweyz View Post
Is anyone else having this issue? I am not. Are you signing into the Plex app using your Plex account?
Yeah it's the plex app on he tv and I'm using my plex account. (Is there any other way to use plex other than with an account?) Every time I log in, it will only let me to the top menu. I can scroll left and right, but not down to select a movie to play. There are two ways to get it to work: 1) sign out and sign back in by going to plex.tv/link on a mobile device (which is fairly time consuming) or 2) go to the apps menu on the tv and reinstall plex.

I don't know if the issue is due to the plex account for my tv being a free guest account (sharing only select folders) or if there is some other cause. But It's apparently a common problem. Several other people here have posted the "reinstall workaround". It's still very annoying and I don't see why it's not fixed by now.
post #28069 of 36893 Old 07-23-2017, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 437
Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by talk show host View Post
Yeah it's the plex app on he tv and I'm using my plex account. (Is there any other way to use plex other than with an account?) Every time I log in, it will only let me to the top menu. I can scroll left and right, but not down to select a movie to play. There are two ways to get it to work: 1) sign out and sign back in by going to plex.tv/link on a mobile device (which is fairly time consuming) or 2) go to the apps menu on the tv and reinstall plex.

I don't know if the issue is due to the plex account for my tv being a free guest account (sharing only select folders) or if there is some other cause. But It's apparently a common problem. Several other people here have posted the "reinstall workaround". It's still very annoying and I don't see why it's not fixed by now.

Oh I know that issue. Use the "3rd option" to get it to work. Hold the back button until the Plex app quits, then go back and select Plex and it will function normally. No need to sign out or reinstall the app.
It happens to me, but not often. Exiting/killing/quitting the app is the usual quick fix for me.
post #28070 of 36893 Old 07-23-2017, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp360 View Post
I'm taking delivery of a 65" KS8000(manufacture refurbished) on Tuesday. Since it is refurbished I want to inspect it right away to make sure the panel is in good condition. Are there any particular concerns to be aware of with this set?
I read the through the first 30 pages of this thread and noticed there was some debate about light bleed. Is this to be expected? What would be good test material to see if it is excessive? I'm coming from a Panasonic plasma and have never owned an LED set.
Hmmm...light bleed is hit or miss with us owners. My tv is mounted on a tilted wall mount and I didn't notice it initially. So is owners who had the front screen separating from the back panel. I'm in a light controlled room and mostly watch in pitch black. If you have a similar set up or can get it dark you want to look for any light bleed or separation in the paneling itself. I do this from time to time to make sure it hasn't separated. Hopefully what I'm saying is making sense. I've not suffered from this last one though, thankfully. I know because every time this topic comes up I inspect mine to make sure all is good.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
nascar24, I tried/am hooked up to optical and it still happens. If watching a dvd and the sound goes directly to the receiver, no problems. Happens for me when connected through the one box.
The Donster, thanks I was wondering if it was hardware related, starts losing sound when it heats up. Will try that though.
What exactly is happening dunno? My audio drop out is akin to a hiccup. I have my Xbox One and 360 are hooked up to my One Connect Box and Arc from my KS to my Onkyo. My audio is bitstream and Dolby on the KS and Xbox One. So I don't have any of the issues with my ARC not recognizing or needing to change it back to Dolby. Then again, I'm only running a One and 360 through my One Connect Box. Outside of my internet, I hate Xfinity and their forced, compressed cable. So I just stream, play games and watch BD's at this point. Need to eventually upgrade to a UHD player. Still haven't decided if I'm doing a stand alone or upgrading to the One X once the price drops.
King Richard likes this.

Official Samsung KS8000/8500 Owners Information PDF
Living Room: LG 55LE5500 Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360 w/Kinect
Bedroom: VIZIO E470VL VIZIO VSB200 Sound Bar Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360
Inner Sanctum: Samsung 65KS8000, Halo XBox One, GoW Xbox 360, Onkyo HT-S5300
post #28071 of 36893 Old 07-23-2017, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Just adding my comment - I have been experiencing sound drop outs for the last couple of months. The drop out is very brief - less than a second I guess - but is also very noticeable and happens with annoying frequency every minute or so.

Has anyone brought this up with Samsung?

65KS8000 owner
post #28072 of 36893 Old 07-23-2017, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobus View Post
Just adding my comment - I have been experiencing sound drop outs for the last couple of months. The drop out is very brief - less than a second I guess - but is also very noticeable and happens with annoying frequency every minute or so.

Has anyone brought this up with Samsung?
I have these with my Dish Hopper3, but they are usually infrequent. Sometimes when watching a recorded show, they can get going every minute or even less, but a fast forward or back and they are gone. I too thought it was the TV (I have ARC to my Denon receiver), but I don't recall having them with my previous Dish receiver. I have set up a direct optical connection from the Hopper to the Denon and I still get the short audio drops, so that would seem to rule out the TV as the culprit.
post #28073 of 36893 Old 07-23-2017, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I went back to panelook and found the active 4K panels from AUO and the maximum contrast ratio on all the panels was 4000:1. In line with the AUO panel that is in my UN65H6350. I had seen a UN65KS8000 at Best Buy with a Samsung panel with version FA01 last year and was impressed on the perceived contrast levels were on that set. In line with what Ratings.com found. It is a shame that Samsung is still using different panels on the same models. On some model lines the Innolux or AUO panels actually perform better and have better black levels, contrast levels and response times. On this model and size it the difference in CR between the AUO and Samsung panel is almost 3000. A difference that one would notice. Both vendors that are selling open box sets on Ebay have both told me that they do not and will not check the version number.
That seems like a really nice site to reference in the future. If I would have seen that website during the first month, I would have returned my KS8000 AA02. Just thought my expectations were too high coming from my 7 year old CCFL LCD Sony. Of course it was too late before accepting I was a victim of some kind of bait and switch . Feels bad.
post #28074 of 36893 Old 07-23-2017, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAstigmatism View Post
That seems like a really nice site to reference in the future. If I would have seen that website during the first month, I would have returned my KS8000 AA02. Just thought my expectations were too high coming from my 7 year old CCFL LCD Sony. Of course it was too late before accepting I was a victim of some kind of bait and switch . Feels bad.
It is a shame this practice still goes on. It would be different if they used the same panel in each line regardless of the maker but using two panels from two different manufacturers is not fair to the consumer. Looking at a set with a CR of 4000:1 to one with 7000:1 is a huge difference and noticeable. Now I am not saying Samsung panels are perfect. On some lines I would choose a Innolux or AUO panel depending on the Samsung panel that they are using. I saw one review from Ratings.com on one 4k model from 2017 with a Samsung panel and the CR was in the mid 3000 range. In that case I would choose a set with a outsourced panel since I know that Innolux has consistently CR from 4000 to 5000 range and AUO mostly 4000 with only one panel on panel look which was 6000 but for sure an outlyer. This years Samsung sets have taken a step back and are way overpriced compared to the OLED sets I was looking at. I have seen a few open box models on ebay but the vendors would not check the version numbers. My luck which I have none, I would get a AUO panel. Not to say that set would not be a good display but my main setup is in a bright room and a CR of 7000:1 would be helpful. Ratings.com did a piece on this with the J6300 line but in that line, the Samsung panel had lower contrast ratios,higher black levels and response time. That with three panels which consisted of a Sharp panel, AUO panel and a Samsung panel. No two lines are the same or the panels they use. That is what I like about Ratings.com. They give you the measurements. It would be better if they did a review of each line with the different panels to see these numbers to make the best informed decision. Ratings.com gave a good review on this set while CNET did not. Makes me wonder if CNET had a set with a AUO panel. I know Ratings.com had a FA01 version which is a Samsung panel.

Last edited by theroys88; 07-23-2017 at 04:27 PM.
post #28075 of 36893 Old 07-23-2017, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Ratings.com gave a good review on this set while CNET did not. Makes me wonder if CNET had a set with a AUO panel. I know Ratings.com had a FA01 version which is a Samsung panel.
It would maybe explain why CNET and Tomshardware had differing takes on this TV. Wish Rtngs would have went out of their way to get a AA02 KS since it was such a highly recommended TV. Reviewers need to start listing panel manufacturers more often, but I guess that discussion is for a different thread.
post #28076 of 36893 Old 07-23-2017, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Like all issues there are those who are on the side that the panel does not make a difference. I think it does matter and since different panels have different contrast ratios, black levels and response time, the end product is affected. It has been a dirty little secret for a while now and the majority of the public is unaware of the situations. I did email Ratings and they told me that they do not have the resources to do such testings. Also probably to protect themselves from the lawyers at Samsung, they have taken the stance that the panels do not make a difference. Just covering their rears.
post #28077 of 36893 Old 07-23-2017, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1657 Post(s)
Liked: 379
I had a AA02 55 inch KS8000. It looked very good, and I think it was better than my samsung panel KS TV. It seemed its blooming was less and contrast better. I returned it to get a 65 inch. There might have been an update between the two, so that might have been the reason. I could not do a side by side comparison so no way to confirm.

I hunted at several Costco stores, trying to get an AA02 panel in the 65 but could not find one.

Something of note, with the TVs off, there was different a difference. With the TVs off, the Samsung panel TV is pretty much jet-black. The AA02 panel had a red-orange-purplish sheen to it when a light source hit it at an angle.

Last edited by checker9; 07-23-2017 at 07:01 PM.
post #28078 of 36893 Old 07-23-2017, 07:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

thanks so much for that information. I have a UN65H6350 and it has a AUO panel AH01 and the picture is good. I did a comparison though with my friends UN65H7100 with a TS01 panel which is a Samsung panel. We set the up side by side and adjusted the settings to match and fed both displays the same blu-ray movies and synced them up. Had some friends over for some additional feedback and everyone agreed the Samsung panel looked better. Not that my set looked bad. I have been happy with the picture. Some clouding and light bleeding but a good set. My budget is 1300 dollars and I am monitoring Ebay. Might just pull the trigger and see what happens.

Last edited by theroys88; 07-23-2017 at 07:29 PM.
post #28079 of 36893 Old 07-23-2017, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question: When i game in HDR mode, such as Uncharted 4, if i set the color space to auto the color seems much more saturated but when i set it to auto it's more gray. Is this normal?
post #28080 of 36893 Old 07-24-2017, 12:25 AM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 4368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buk Lau View Post
Question: When i game in HDR mode, such as Uncharted 4, if i set the color space to auto the color seems much more saturated but when i set it to auto it's more gray. Is this normal?

Say what???

Terminader likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
denon s740h , extra , hdmi input , KS8000/KS8500 , no picture , one connect fail , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page