Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 937 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 179990Likes

post #28081 of 36744 Old 07-24-2017, 12:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richard View Post
Say what???

Hello, sorry for the typo. I meant to say in "native" mode, the color seems to be grayer or whiter.

Also when using custom settings from rtings the color seems a bit less saturated and blue sky is more white, I think that's the accurate color but I'm not sure. Will post pics if needed

Thanks all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28082 of 36744 Old 07-24-2017, 12:46 AM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 4367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buk Lau View Post
Hello, sorry for the typo. I meant to say in "native" mode, the color seems to be grayer or whiter.

Also when using custom settings from rtings the color seems a bit less saturated and blue sky is more white, I think that's the accurate color but I'm not sure. Will post pics if needed

Thanks all.

Just leave it on "Auto"

I do not recommend copying someone else's settings, they will NOT be accurate for your TV.

Richard
jconjason and The_Donster like this.
post #28083 of 36744 Old 07-24-2017, 12:59 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richard View Post
Just leave it on "Auto"

I do not recommend copying someone else's settings, they will NOT be accurate for your TV.

Richard
Aside from white balance and color settings, is it ok to copy just the basic settings like brightness contrast and color?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28084 of 36744 Old 07-24-2017, 01:08 AM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 4367
Quote:
Aside from white balance and color settings, is it ok to copy just the basic settings like brightness contrast and color?

Thanks

Sure!

P.S. Just go through my "Picture Settings Guide"

Richard
Terminader and The_Donster like this.
post #28085 of 36744 Old 07-24-2017, 02:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Quoted: 5221 Post(s)
Liked: 7563
Quote:
Question: When i game in HDR mode, such as Uncharted 4, if i set the color space to auto the color seems much more saturated but when i set it to auto it's more gray. Is this normal?
It's auto in both cases, so you're making no change at all, correct?

Colour Space = Auto is the correct setting in all modes except for the HDR+ "special viewing mode" which needs it to be set to "Native"

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #28086 of 36744 Old 07-24-2017, 04:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hey,

was wondering if people could help me out. I've got an offer for getting a pretty cheap ks8000 but was wondering about HDMI 2.1.

Does anyone know whether or not it will bet getting an upgrade to 2.1 via the one connect box? I remember finding some stuff about Samsung doing evolution kits for previous models, but couldn't find anything concrete anywhere.

The main reason for wanting 2.1 was I read that it'll have adaptive sync, and was planning on using the set as my couch gaming PC monitor as well as my TV, so would be useful to have.

Cheers
post #28087 of 36744 Old 07-24-2017, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nismo42 View Post
Hi everyone,

Does anyone else seem to suffer from a lot of UI lag on this TV regardless of firmware version (I'm on 1180)? I just feel like the menu speed is so sloppy and not sure if it's just me. Thanks for any advice.
I find that if the TV menu speed seems a little laggy, rebooting the TV brings it back to normal. With the TV on, hold down the power button until you see the SUHD logo. Once the TV has booted, I give it two minutes and then it's back to normal. Give that a try and see if it helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by talk show host View Post
I'm having a new sound problem with my tv. I have a 5.1 system and my tv sends everything out bitstream via hdmi to my receiver. Up until a couple of days ago, the tv always recognized what type of audio format was playing and output appropriately to the receiver.

Then, for the first time, I used Samsungs (DLNA) player to play some videos on my home pc. The source was 5.1, but it only output stereo. Based on help received here, I learned this was a problem with the tv switching to PCM even if it's set up to bitstream. So I went in the expert audio settings to manually switch the playback to DTS and it worked great.

However, ever since then, my tv will ALWAYS play stereo sound, no matter what the source (Xbox bluray, cable box, and Hulu, amazon, Netflix, and tv versions of those same streaming apps.). So now, no matter what the source, I'm always having to go im and manually set the Audio.

Everything worked flawlessly until I went into advanced audio for the first time to fix the sound for the DLNA player. Now the sound is ALWAYS stereo unless I manually set it.

Is there a way to fix this and have my tv go back to the way it was?

Also, on a separate note, is Samsung ever going to fix the issue with plex requiring to be reinstalled in order to function every time I turn on my tv? This is also beyond annoying.
This quirk seems to be the way Samsung TV's work in general. Not just his model but Samsungs in years past. If you play a DD stream and has the audio set to DD, it will play DD and stereo back and forth without issue. Once you play a DTS stream it will only play stereo, and you have to go into the settings and change to DTS. Then it will play DTS and stereo without issue. If you play DD it will only be stereo until you go into the settings and choose DD. Repeat back and forth. This has been discussed ad naseum in this thread and is a much wished for item to have it automatically choose between DD and DTS but it doesn't. Now that I finally have everything going through an AVR I haven't used the TV for anything but a display, so I finally don't have to worry about it. But before I had the new ACR, this was a very annoying quirk.

As for wondering if Samsung will ever fix the Plex app, I think it's safe to say that Samsung will never fix it. It would be up to Plex to fix the Plex app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchoffunk View Post
Hey,

was wondering if people could help me out. I've got an offer for getting a pretty cheap ks8000 but was wondering about HDMI 2.1.

Does anyone know whether or not it will bet getting an upgrade to 2.1 via the one connect box? I remember finding some stuff about Samsung doing evolution kits for previous models, but couldn't find anything concrete anywhere.

The main reason for wanting 2.1 was I read that it'll have adaptive sync, and was planning on using the set as my couch gaming PC monitor as well as my TV, so would be useful to have.

Cheers
No one knows. This has been discussed over and over and over as well. Samsung wasn't going to offer updates to the One Connect Box anymore, but that doesn't mean they can't change their mind. Even if they did, it wouldn't be a full implementation of 2.1. For example, the TV doesn't have an 8K panel so unlikely it would support 8K. I think it would be fair to assume a partial implementation of 2.1 if such a thing occurred. Would adaptive sync be included if it happened? I wouldn't assume so.

Samsung KS8000, Denon AVR-X3300W, Xbox One X, Samsung UBD-K8500 4K bluray player, Himedia Q5 Pro android box
post #28088 of 36744 Old 07-24-2017, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1656 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:
Hey,

Cheers
No 2.1, and while there could be a future one connect to allow it on the KS model, I assume it is doubtful.
post #28089 of 36744 Old 07-24-2017, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I've been a long time follower of this thread and tried searching as well but is there no fix for the HDR notification that used to pop up when an HDR source is detected in game mode?

Gamertag: xxxKLEMxxx
Steam: xklemx
post #28090 of 36744 Old 07-24-2017, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks for the answers, so I'll assume it's a no and factor that into my decision.

It's a shame though, maybe I'll just hold out for one I know will definitely have 2.1.
post #28091 of 36744 Old 07-24-2017, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 1966 Post(s)
Liked: 3272
Quote:
Hey,

Cheers
As I've posted previously, Samsung engineers are discussing the possibility of a new OCB for some 2016 & 2017 models. However, as both Lonewolf7002 and checker9 have pointed out, this may not happen. I was told that one of the biggest problems is connectivity (different connection ports would require two different model OCBs). And they also have to consider whether or not management would approve a box which would afford only partial compliance with the HDMI 2.1 spec...assuming the selected SoCs could be programmed accordingly. Also, marketing the OCBs as "Evolution Kits" proved to be a nightmare in the past, so there's reluctance to revisit this scenario once more. But at least the engineers who could make it happen are looking into the challenge. I think it's safe to assume that if one is not shown at CES 2018, it's not going to happen at all. Of course, if I hear anything else on the subject from them I'll post the pertinent threads.

Definition of "Stupid": Knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the lies.
post #28092 of 36744 Old 07-24-2017, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robklem View Post
I've been a long time follower of this thread and tried searching as well but is there no fix for the HDR notification that used to pop up when an HDR source is detected in game mode?
The notifications (for all modes, not just game mode) were removed in version 1180.5.

You use the word "fix", but that is assuming that it was a mistake or a bug to remove them. That's a big assumption. It's more likely that Samsung decided to remove the notifications on purpose, in which case they will only be back if Samsung reverse their decision. Some people have now had the next firmware and they haven't reported that the notifications are back, leading more weight to the idea that it was deliberate.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #28093 of 36744 Old 07-24-2017, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Donster View Post
Hmmm...light bleed is hit or miss with us owners. My tv is mounted on a tilted wall mount and I didn't notice it initially. So is owners who had the front screen separating from the back panel. I'm in a light controlled room and mostly watch in pitch black. If you have a similar set up or can get it dark you want to look for any light bleed or separation in the paneling itself. I do this from time to time to make sure it hasn't separated. Hopefully what I'm saying is making sense. I've not suffered from this last one though, thankfully. I know because every time this topic comes up I inspect mine to make sure all is good.

What exactly is happening dunno? My audio drop out is akin to a hiccup. I have my Xbox One and 360 are hooked up to my One Connect Box and Arc from my KS to my Onkyo. My audio is bitstream and Dolby on the KS and Xbox One. So I don't have any of the issues with my ARC not recognizing or needing to change it back to Dolby. Then again, I'm only running a One and 360 through my One Connect Box. Outside of my internet, I hate Xfinity and their forced, compressed cable. So I just stream, play games and watch BD's at this point. Need to eventually upgrade to a UHD player. Still haven't decided if I'm doing a stand alone or upgrading to the One X once the price drops.
I'd say the same thing, 1-2 silence and then back on. So far it happens to everything through the ONE box. This would include a roku box, OTA TV receiver and DVD player which are all hooked up HDMI into the ONE box. When I get time I'm going to try out the onboard apps, Netflix, Hulu etc to see if they have problems as well. Thanks

Samsung 55KS-800d
Oppo 103D
Onkyo TX-NR609
post #28094 of 36744 Old 07-24-2017, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
The notifications (for all modes, not just game mode) were removed in version 1180.5.

You use the word "fix", but that is assuming that it was a mistake or a bug to remove them. That's a big assumption. It's more likely that Samsung decided to remove the notifications on purpose, in which case they will only be back if Samsung reverse their decision. Some people have now had the next firmware and they haven't reported that the notifications are back, leading more weight to the idea that it was deliberate.
Updated to 1180.5 over the week-end. Didn't really run any tests yet but I had the HDR notification when I started American Gods on Amazon.

Samsung UN55KS8000 || Sony BDVE-980W || PS4 Pro
post #28095 of 36744 Old 07-24-2017, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMZ_P View Post
Updated to 1180.5 over the week-end. Didn't really run any tests yet but I had the HDR notification when I started American Gods on Amazon.
Did you get 1180.5 OTA, or did you download it form the Samsung site? My TV only shows 1180, but no .5.
post #28096 of 36744 Old 07-24-2017, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by HYPURR DBL NKL View Post
Did you get 1180.5 OTA, or did you download it form the Samsung site? My TV only shows 1180, but no .5.
OTA. TV will only show 1180 but the full version number is 1180.5 that you can only see on the website and I'm guessing the information window somewhere in the support menu.
HYPURR DBL NKL likes this.

Samsung UN55KS8000 || Sony BDVE-980W || PS4 Pro
post #28097 of 36744 Old 07-24-2017, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 66
so where is this 1200 firmware that people be talking about?!
post #28098 of 36744 Old 07-24-2017, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's because the Amazon Prime app triggers its own notification. You'll note that it says "Amazon" on it and is different to all the others.

Quote:
That's a FAQ, look on the Support -> Contact Samsung menu on the TV for the full version number. HTH

Quote:
OTA. TV will only show 1180 but the full version number is 1180.5 that you can only see on the website
Not true. See above.

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 07-24-2017 at 02:40 PM.
post #28099 of 36744 Old 07-24-2017, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
OTA. TV will only show 1180 but the full version number is 1180.5 that you can only see on the website and I'm guessing the information window somewhere in the support menu.
Gotcha, thanks. I was just concerned that is was the 1180 firmware that a lot of people were having issue with. I'm still on 1168.
post #28100 of 36744 Old 07-24-2017, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by talk show host View Post
So that worked....

However now my tv defaults to PCM when I'm watching cable, bluray, Netflix, etc. so every show I watch I have to manually change it t DTS / Dolby now!

I never had to do this before. This is so ridiculously annoying. Is there anyway to have my tv go back to just automatically outputting the right Audio format?
I know there is ups and downs however you connect sources

Connect all sources to the Samsung TV:

Pro: All sources can have their own picture profile and settings
Con: ARC only supports AC3 and DTS (and always gets stuck in the wrong setting)

Connect all sources to the Soundbar (or AVR whatever):

Pro: HD and correct sound due to direct connection to the Soundbar/AVR
Con: Samsung renames the input source without control, so I have a PC connected to the soundbar, all inputs get a "PC" label, very annoying (and they get stuck in the PC picture setting)
Terminader and King Richard like this.
post #28101 of 36744 Old 07-24-2017, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Not sure if I should post this here or the HDTV Technical section, but...

Using settings I pieced together from @King Richard and Rtings.com I really find 4K content on my set to be outstanding. The detail on programming like Netflix's The Hunt, is incredible. That said, when it comes to regular programming (I have Comcast), it's sort of hit or miss, on a channel by channel basis, as to the quality (read graininess, horizontal banding). Watching sitcoms on ABC, TBS, etc are perfectly fine. Watching movies on those same channels are only okay, usually pretty blurry during action scenes.

Where I definitely notice it the most though is when watching GoT Sunday nights. I'm curious if anybody else notices the same thing? This past episode for example- the blacks were splotchy, the fighting on the boat was hard to follow with all the motion going on .. does anybody else get similar problems? Is this just an issue from the cable company not broadcasting at higher resolution?

Could also be that I'm just getting pampered watching 4K content most of the time...
King Richard likes this.
post #28102 of 36744 Old 07-24-2017, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNewGuy View Post

Using settings I pieced together from @King Richard and Rtings.com I really find 4K content on my set to be outstanding. The detail on programming like Netflix's The Hunt, is incredible. That said, when it comes to regular programming (I have Comcast), it's sort of hit or miss, on a channel by channel basis, as to the quality (read graininess, horizontal banding). Watching sitcoms on ABC, TBS, etc are perfectly fine. Watching movies on those same channels are only okay, usually pretty blurry during action scenes.

Where I definitely notice it the most though is when watching GoT Sunday nights. I'm curious if anybody else notices the same thing? This past episode for example- the blacks were splotchy, the fighting on the boat was hard to follow with all the motion going on .. does anybody else get similar problems? Is this just an issue from the cable company not broadcasting at higher resolution?

Could also be that I'm just getting pampered watching 4K content most of the time...
Check if deactivating "Digital Clean View" helps, that setting is a filter to hide noise, so more often than not, it washes out the picture

I have the blessing of non eagle eye sight, from my couch cable TV looks OK (SHAW Canada in 720p) ... But up close it is a grainy mess
AudioNewGuy likes this.
post #28103 of 36744 Old 07-24-2017, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1656 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:

Using settings I pieced together from @King Richard and Rtings.com I really find 4K content on my set to be outstanding. The detail on programming like Netflix's The Hunt, is incredible. That said, when it comes to regular programming (I have Comcast), it's sort of hit or miss, on a channel by channel basis, as to the quality (read graininess, horizontal banding).
No Comcast. IK use Directv. I thought the same on Directv programming not looking good. What made a difference to me was turning of motion control for Directv. It sharpened the picture up a lot. I think with it turned on, it was causing artifacts that blurred the screen. I noticed that when I saw the SyFy logo oscillating when I had motion control turned on. I also noticed ticker-tape feeds of headlines on news channels would have judder with motion control turned on (like skipping frames every few frames.) I turned off any motion control because of those things. I then noticed how much sharper everything looks with it off. On blu-rays and good quality streaming, it does not look bad with motion control on - just Directv shows improvement with it off (again, I do not have Comcast to test.)
Terminader and JohnnyD83 like this.

Last edited by checker9; 07-24-2017 at 02:07 PM.
post #28104 of 36744 Old 07-24-2017, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
That's because the Amazon Prime app triggers its own notification. You'll note that it says "Amazon" on it and is different to all the others.

That's a FAQ, look on the Support/Contact Samsung page for the full version number. HTH

Not true. See above.
Okay so now I'm really confused? Samsung site says 1180.5, so when I see the 1180 on my TV is it 1180, or 1180.5, lol.
post #28105 of 36744 Old 07-24-2017, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Okay so now I'm really confused? Samsung site says 1180.5, so when I see the 1180 on my TV is it 1180, or 1180.5, lol.
Menu is a better word, sorry for the confusion. Look on the Support -> Contact Samsung menu in your TV. It's two screens high, you can scroll up and down.

post #28106 of 36744 Old 07-24-2017, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

I was wondering about GOT last night. I watch it on HBOGO. I noticed the same things. Almost exclusively in the dark scenes it looks very low bit rate. Shadow detail is gone and in you get that pixelated black splotchy look. I figured it was an issue with HBOGO but it sounds like the broadcast was bad as well.
AudioNewGuy likes this.

My Theater build
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post21268949
xboxone gamertag: MASTERpTWINKIE
PS3: zaczimer
post #28107 of 36744 Old 07-24-2017, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 1966 Post(s)
Liked: 3272
Quote:

What you're observing is not uncommon. Most cable plants throughout the country (in particular, Comcast/Xfinity's) are at maximum bandwidth capacity. In order to give themselves some "wiggle room", most channels are severely compressed and sent out at ridiculously low bitrates. Today's displays are not very tolerant of poor signals, and the image processing chips can barely keep up with the torrent of garbage that is sent to them. So you get compression artifacts (that's the blotchiness in solid color areas and in shadows), as well as tiling, tearing, and macroblocking. Any rapid motion, or highly complex, colorful sequence is enough for the image to quickly fall apart. Comcast is transitioning to 720p on all channels, supposedly to "improve the quality" of the picture; they're actually doing this to free up more bandwidth for the pay services they plan on providing in the near future. Currently in downtown Fort Lauderdale, the best linear channels are equal in quality to high-bitrate DVD, with the On-Demand content offerings being of a "1080i Light" quality.

Definition of "Stupid": Knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the lies.
post #28108 of 36744 Old 07-24-2017, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

An example of the Support -> Contact Samsung menu on the TV. Here's mine.

HTH!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Firmware Version.png
Views:	5473
Size:	539.3 KB
ID:	2256937  

post #28109 of 36744 Old 07-24-2017, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp360 View Post
I was wondering about GOT last night. I watch it on HBOGO. I noticed the same things. Almost exclusively in the dark scenes it looks very low bit rate. Shadow detail is gone and in you get that pixelated black splotchy look. I figured it was an issue with HBOGO but it sounds like the broadcast was bad as well.
Looked good here in the UK (simulcast at 2am to deter pirates!). For now at least, our HD satellite broadcasts are reasonable quality. Not brilliant, but ok. Measured here: http://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.ph...ive=69&lang=en . Looks to be 7Mb/s average, 19.9Mb/s max. MPEG4

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 07-24-2017 at 03:03 PM.
post #28110 of 36744 Old 07-24-2017, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 51
@dolbymandts @checker9 @sharp360 @Rudy1

Thanks for all the input guys, it's good to know that I'm not crazy. It's just so odd that like right now for example, watching FXX (GF watching a mushy movie) the quality is really great.. then on other channels / shows it falls apart. It's comforting (and kinda sucks) that HBOGO also gives that crummy picture. My next test was going to be to try and use that app rather than watch through the live programming. I'll also give the 'Digital Clean View' setting a look, but I'm skeptical that will solve it as it's not on every channel / program for live TV.

@Rudy1 You pointed out the bandwidth issue and I can very much seeing that be the root of the problem. I wonder if watching it via On Demand, on off hours, if it would be improved at all?

I'm curious, how are some of you guys getting around the quality issue of standard cable programming as a whole? As an example, would ABC from HuluLive be any better than ABC from Comcast/Fios/etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
denon s740h , extra , hdmi input , KS8000/KS8500 , no picture , one connect fail , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page