Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 952 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 179943Likes

post #28531 of 36648 Old 08-11-2017, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 51
There is YouTube channel that's pretty cool I found. It's called hDR Solutions. They show movie trailers and game videos in HDR. Pretty cool!
cydeweyz, player002 and mrtickleuk like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28532 of 36648 Old 08-11-2017, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 5070 Post(s)
Liked: 7394
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejanh View Post
Sure we all complain when we see things that are wrong, but we are not doing anything about it.
I accept what you said overall, but I disagree with this point. I did do something about it. I was very constructive. Each and every time he made mistakes, I politely posted feedback comments under his videos. He's ignored them all - and then repeated the same mistakes in the next video. So he's now fair game for robust criticism because he's been impervious to constructive helpful criticism.

Quote:
At the end of the day, either we need to concretely counter what is being posted by producing our own content that is palatable to the masses, or we simply need to be quiet about it and leave it be.
Those aren't the only two choices YouTube is supposed to be a two-way conversation, yes it can be video and then "response video", but it can equally be taking on board and understanding genuine feedback left by people who are trying to help. Lots of "channels" are a conversation between viewers and the creator. He invites feedback, and then ignores it all. That's fundamentally not what YouTube is for.

Personally I prefer to help the community here where I can, I'm not vain enough to put myself on YouTube and I'd reach fewer people if I tried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk114 View Post
There is YouTube channel that's pretty cool I found. It's called hDR Solutions. They show movie trailers and game videos in HDR. Pretty cool!
edit: These are just SDR-to-HDR conversions, which have then been uploaded to display as HDR when viewed on YouTube.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 08-11-2017 at 04:43 PM.
post #28533 of 36648 Old 08-11-2017, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi people, I have a UN65KS8500 and I can see a clearly visible 1" line down the right hand side of my TV and about halfway across the bottom too. The colours are dull inside this line. Any ideas? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28534 of 36648 Old 08-11-2017, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
They gave you a European board.
Er, we don't speak Korean here in Europe. And it probably wouldn't work (different chassis).

However, remember that your T-JZMAKUC area covers Canada, South Korea and America.

PIP is an option "everywhere except America/Canada", not "only in Europe".

So it's more likely he has that bit as Korean. Well done! Don't complain to Samsung!
Rolls-Royce and dejanh like this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #28535 of 36648 Old 08-11-2017, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Sturdivant View Post
When this guy starts talking about the "pixel ghost image" that appears distorted and in front of a moving object, that's being cause by the Auto Motion Plus Judder setting. My TV, KS9500, has always had this weird thing. It's only noticeable on fast moving objects that are moving along with a panning camera. Turning the Judder part of AMP down to 1 or 0 will eliminate this, but then you might as well not even bother using AMP if it's that low.

It really does destroy the image though when you see it. It seems like the TV is processing the image and drawing more predictions than it should for the frames that follow. But it's really a ghost image of what it's drawing.

I was hoping this firmware might fix that. Guess it doesn't.
It doesn't seem to fix it. Probably not going to update to it yet.

The ghosting thing has been there for a while. Even at Judder 1 it's as bad as 2 or 3 and up I think. But with 1180 I noticed judder seemed to be improved even with AMP off so I leave it at 0 now.
Terminader likes this.
post #28536 of 36648 Old 08-11-2017, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
No. He did not do any "tests". He just talked about what he thought he might have seen, all by looking at it. Just like you and I can. There was nothing scientific whatsoever in what he did.

I wouldn't. He means well but he keeps dropping huge clunking errors and spewing out misinformation. I've yet to see a video of his which didn't contain at least one or two things which are demonstrably not true.

Today he's uploaded a "calibration" video, offering his picture settings without saying ONCE that every panel is different therefore you should take his 2-point and 10-point and CMS settings with a bucket of salt, and they can make your TV worse - none of that.
He keeps saying out loud in his videos that you can't find out the full firmware version number. I keep telling him that it's on the Contact Samsung page on the TV. He's immune to corrections.

The latest is that he's advising people who are on firmware 1146 (no YouTube HDR even!) that it's up to them whether they upgrade or not. Imagine not having YouTube HDR!

As far as I can tell he has no real technical knowledge whatsoever. The evidence is there for everyone to see in his videos.

Exactly. He's appeared out of nowhere in the last month, and people are commenting on his videos asking him questions, acting as if he's an expert. I'm sure he has the best of intentions but he's doing a lot of damage with these videos. He's completely out of his depth, and it's embarrassing to watch a lot of the time.
Thanks for making it clear. I watched the video entirely after posting it and you're right it seems he's just another average joe who thought he saw some stuff.
Terminader and mrtickleuk like this.
post #28537 of 36648 Old 08-11-2017, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I use Kodi + MadVR with firmware v1180 with AMP at Zero, it seems to be very good. I cant' say the same with built-in apps in the TV though.

My usage for other source are like .9999999%
post #28538 of 36648 Old 08-11-2017, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I'm a complete noob at that stuff.

I got my TV mounted to a wall and am now attempting to set up a soundbar bracket so I can use a mount for the sound bar to stay under the TV. I called my buddy who helped me out yesterday and he told me I should only remove the bottom screws one at a time and I shouldn't need to remove the tv from the wall mount. Problem is, the screws are too short and if I add the soundbar bracket on top of the mount, the screw is simply not long enough. TV is a Samsung KS8000 and the bracket is a Sonax Universal Bracket.

That's me holding the bracket. The screw is too short to hold both the bracket and the mount.
post #28539 of 36648 Old 08-11-2017, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1652 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Game Mode vs Movie Mode for gaming.

I have a KS8000. I just got a PS4 Pro. I have been playing Last Of Us. I played many hours of it with the TV in Game Mode. Today when I played, I did not switch it to Game Mode, so it was in Movie Mode. I played for about 2 hours, including through a long boss/end of section scene with many running targets, before I realized that I was in Movie Mode. I noticed no difference in game play at all and was able to hit fast moving targets.

Anyone play outside of Game Mode? Do you not notice the higher lag or do you notice no difference either?
post #28540 of 36648 Old 08-11-2017, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
At the risk of going further off-topic, I would say that the last few posts in this thread commenting on this YouTube persona is exactly why people like the said individual develop a following and can spread so much misinformation. How many informed individuals actually bother to create structured YouTube reviews or actually try to bring information down to a level that can be understood by those that are not technically inclined? Sure we all complain when we see things that are wrong, but we are not doing anything about it. At the end of the day, either we need to concretely counter what is being posted by producing our own content that is palatable to the masses, or we simply need to be quiet about it and leave it be.

Mind you, this is not criticism of any given individual on this board or otherwise. I lump myself into the same bucket in many ways as I have caught myself criticizing others for their ignorance without actually bothering to try to teach anyone anything. (Just this morning I was appalled at the ignorance of a Forbes tech journalist when he commented that Samsung is going to use a smaller battery in the Note 8 because they need to fit a "motor" to power the same 3D Touch functionality as the one found on the iPhone. The ignorance of the workings of the technology blew my mind.)

Just my $0.02 on the matter. Back on topic now
I have been on his channel and have tried to steer it toward a more informed discussion.
He has been very kind to me with his responses as have his community.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
Terminader likes this.
post #28541 of 36648 Old 08-11-2017, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by checker9 View Post

I have a KS8000. I just got a PS4 Pro. I have been playing Last Of Us. I played many hours of it with the TV in Game Mode. Today when I played, I did not switch it to Game Mode, so it was in Movie Mode. I played for about 2 hours, including through a long boss/end of section scene with many running targets, before I realized that I was in Movie Mode. I noticed no difference in game play at all and was able to hit fast moving targets.

Anyone play outside of Game Mode? Do you not notice the higher lag or do you notice no difference either?
On my PC when I use HDR mode, I notice a lot of ghosting but aside from that Game Mode seems fine for sub 60fps gaming.
post #28542 of 36648 Old 08-11-2017, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 51
edit: These are just SDR-to-HDR conversions, which have then been uploaded to display as HDR when viewed on YouTube.[/QUOTE]

Some are I know but they usually label the conversions.
post #28543 of 36648 Old 08-11-2017, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf7002 View Post
LOL I have to agree. One user comes in after having done some detective work and posts that he's cracked a secret code without any actual proof or facts, only speculation, and it causes concern in people that they suddenly have an "inferior" panel in some way. I don't want to come across as having blinders on or engaging in rampant fanboyism that there's no way anything could possibly be wrong with my favourite TV, but as I think you pointed out in a later post, if there had been such a stark difference in panels it would've trended through the last year and a half of this threads existence. Many, many users have had both panels in their house at the same time, comparing back and forth. No noticeable difference has ever consistently been spotted in one panel or another. To my knowledge, the panels haven't been metered and proven to be different. (To be fair, I'm not aware of them specifically being metered and proven to be exactly the same either). There are a lot of very passionate hobbyists and professionals posting in these threads and if there were such vast differences in the panels as one user is currently speculating it would've been revealed a long time ago. As has also been pointed out, a search of this thread will reveal hundreds and hundreds of posts on this exact same topic, over and over and over again. Someone questions the panel, there are an explosion of posts, it dies down, someone questions again, rinse wash repeat. All someone has to do is mention
Spoiler!
and everyone runs off and
Spoiler!
LOL. I've never checked which panel I have, nor do I care. My TV is perfect, within the limitations of the technology.

Part of the reason it's so frustrating is this: the take away is that you have a great TV, no matter what panel you have. Don't walk away from this thread feeling like you've somehow been robbed or screwed on what you had thought, until reading these posts, is a fantastic TV. Because it is.
Add to this anything regarding "Firmware updates" and that will give you the perfect post in my opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM1988 View Post
Hi people, I have a UN65KS8500 and I can see a clearly visible 1" line down the right hand side of my TV and about halfway across the bottom too. The colours are dull inside this line. Any ideas? thanks
How long have you had it? If not very long, return it. Otherwise you will have to contact Samsung and start up a work order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by checker9 View Post

Granted, I only have the Xbox One, but I've always gamed in Movie Mode and I think it looks great and see no reason to change it. Hopefully someone with a similar set up can help further though? As it might be a different story with Playstation.

Official Samsung KS8000/8500 Owners Information PDF
Living Room: LG 55LE5500 Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360 w/Kinect
Bedroom: VIZIO E470VL VIZIO VSB200 Sound Bar Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360
Inner Sanctum: Samsung 65KS8000, Halo XBox One, GoW Xbox 360, Onkyo HT-S5300
post #28544 of 36648 Old 08-11-2017, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf7002 View Post
LOL I have to agree. One user comes in after having done some detective work and posts that he's cracked a secret code without any actual proof or facts, only speculation, and it causes concern in people that they suddenly have an "inferior" panel in some way. I don't want to come across as having blinders on or engaging in rampant fanboyism that there's no way anything could possibly be wrong with my favourite TV, but as I think you pointed out in a later post, if there had been such a stark difference in panels it would've trended through the last year and a half of this threads existence. Many, many users have had both panels in their house at the same time, comparing back and forth. No noticeable difference has ever consistently been spotted in one panel or another. To my knowledge, the panels haven't been metered and proven to be different. (To be fair, I'm not aware of them specifically being metered and proven to be exactly the same either). There are a lot of very passionate hobbyists and professionals posting in these threads and if there were such vast differences in the panels as one user is currently speculating it would've been revealed a long time ago. As has also been pointed out, a search of this thread will reveal hundreds and hundreds of posts on this exact same topic, over and over and over again. Someone questions the panel, there are an explosion of posts, it dies down, someone questions again, rinse wash repeat. All someone has to do is mention
Spoiler!
and everyone runs off and
Spoiler!
LOL. I've never checked which panel I have, nor do I care. My TV is perfect, within the limitations of the technology.

Part of the reason it's so frustrating is this: the take away is that you have a great TV, no matter what panel you have. Don't walk away from this thread feeling like you've somehow been robbed or screwed on what you had thought, until reading these posts, is a fantastic TV. Because it is.

Depends on the model line and panels used. On some lines it does matter while other model lines the panel's specs are much closer and hardly noticeable to most folks. I agree if you are happy with your display it does not matter but when there is such a large difference in CR between to each panel in the KS800 model, it does make a difference! Black levels will also be lower. AUO panels CR are 4000:1 and that is verified by many on this forum who have actually measured their set and on panelook. Ratings.com who are very thorough and respected measured the Samsung panel at 7000:1. Naked eye can usually tell a difference of 500 so this is 6 fold. I am not saying Samsung panels are superior but in this model line, the Samsung panel is superior. Now on some model lines, Innolux or AUO panels measurements are better then the Samsung panel. Unfortunately testers do not compare the same model with different panels mostly due to economics. I just do not think it is unreasonable to have as much information as you can to make a educated purchase. I could go into backlight issues and uniformity issues which after 11 years reading thousands of posts it seems that Samsung panels seem more prone to these issues. Also response times are important to gamers along with input lag. A review of a set with Samsung panel does not help the gamer who gets a outsourced panel with possibly a higher input lag and response time. He or she would of purchased the set based on these numbers and never knowing about the different version numbers and panels. These sets are not cheap and most have worked hard to earn the cash to purchase them. My point is that blanket statements criticizing those who are interested in what panel is in each line seems a little petty.
CrazyAstigmatism and Frazzler like this.

Last edited by theroys88; 08-11-2017 at 08:19 PM.
post #28545 of 36648 Old 08-11-2017, 08:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Are you still under warranty. There are connectors that run on the top and bottom of the LCD panel and they can go bad thus the vertical lines. Some folks have taken apart their sets and applied pressure and tape with varying success. Usually a new panel is needed and if you are out of warranty can be expensive! . Had a LNT 52A650 from 2008 that did the same thing 5 years after purchase. Sold it to a college kid with the entertainment center for 300 dollars. He was thrilled. Great set and hated it when it happened but too costly to repair. Good luck and hopefully you are under warranty.
The_Donster likes this.
post #28546 of 36648 Old 08-11-2017, 10:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Regarding game mode.

It seems fine for games 30fps and under as long as you are gaming in 4K or the device itself is providing the upscale to the set.
The lower the resolution goes and the more the set has to upscale will also affect how much you will feel this

For example the PS4 pro seems totally fine in movie mode, where as the Nintendo switch is completely noticeable.
post #28547 of 36648 Old 08-12-2017, 12:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroys88 View Post
Are you still under warranty. There are connectors that run on the top and bottom of the LCD panel and they can go bad thus the vertical lines. Some folks have taken apart their sets and applied pressure and tape with varying success. Usually a new panel is needed and if you are out of warranty can be expensive! . Had a LNT 52A650 from 2008 that did the same thing 5 years after purchase. Sold it to a college kid with the entertainment center for 300 dollars. He was thrilled. Great set and hated it when it happened but too costly to repair. Good luck and hopefully you are under warranty.
Thank you. It's only2 months old. I'll be contacting Samsung.
post #28548 of 36648 Old 08-12-2017, 12:49 AM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 4367
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkavanau View Post
Spoiler!

I'm really getting myself confused on HDR and how the settings are stored on this TV.

I was trying to test the above scenario but neither version seemed to kick on HDR.

On the ks8000 Netflix app and started up an HDR movie to verify my HDR settings.

Jumped over to Vudu and started Batman v Superman and the setting remained at my normal (non-HDR) levels.
Went to Vudu on the Xbox and got the same result.

You cannot get HDR from Vudu because Vudu only has Dolby Vision's HDR format and your TV is only compatible with HDR10 (which Vudu doesn't have at this time).

Quote:
Put in the Reverant 4k UHD disc on the Xbox and my backlight didn't jump up either (maybe I changed the xbox hdr settings and the TV stored separate HDR settings per source)

Went to Netflix on Xbox and started an HDR film, the backlight still didn't change.
Went back to playing Revenant and updated the backlight to 20.
Switched to Xbox Netflix HDR, backlight is at 20.
Opened non-HDR film on Xbox Netflix and the backlight stayed at 20.
While on the non HDR film, I changed the backlight to 15.
Back to Revenant again, backlight changed to 15.

Make sure your TV is set to either the "Movie" or "Standard" picture mode.

(You can always use the HDR+ special viewing mode - but that's a whole different animal.)

Double-check that the TV's "HDMI UHD Color" setting is turned ON for that HDMI input.

Double check your X-Box One S settings.

Quote:
Did Samsung get rid of the "HDR video is playing" banner? Am I missing something?

Yes, unfortunately they did.

Richard
post #28549 of 36648 Old 08-12-2017, 02:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroys88 View Post
Depends on the model line and panels used. On some lines it does matter while other model lines the panel's specs are much closer and hardly noticeable to most folks.
For this model and this thread, it doesn't matter. As explained why yesterday in the Post of the Month.

Quote:
AUO panels CR are 4000:1 and that is verified by many on this forum who have actually measured their set and on panelook.
If "verified by many" means "lots of people have posted saying 'I think it's true' " without any supporting evidence, yes I agree. However I suspect that isn't what you meant, and I suspect you misused the word "verified"

Quote:
Ratings.com who are very thorough and respected
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Sorry, but that's wrong and hilarious.

Quote:
I am not saying Samsung panels are superior but in this model line, the Samsung panel is superior.
And we're saying that statement is speculation. Merely repeating the same speculation without evidence does not make it into a fact!

Quote:
My point is that blanket statements criticizing those who are interested in what panel is in each line seems a little petty.
Sorry but please read the Post of the Month again. We've had a year's worth of posts and if there was a difference it would have become very clear, very early on. This didn't happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazzler
No need to be offensive.
Just to be clear, he was not offensive.

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 08-12-2017 at 02:57 AM.
post #28550 of 36648 Old 08-12-2017, 02:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you. It's only2 months old. I'll be contacting Samsung.
You should contact whoever sold it to you. You contract is with them.
Terminader likes this.

post #28551 of 36648 Old 08-12-2017, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Thumbs up

Much like the peak whites of these displays in HDR... it's time to lighten up.

- Jason
Terminader and Frazzler like this.

HT = Epson HC3800 - BenQ HT3550 - Sony HW45ES @133" / Marantz SR6013 7.3.4 Atmos / B&K 5000 II amp / Boston VR2/VR12/CR67 speakers / Rythmik 12" x2 / CV 15" / Panasonic UB820
Media Room = Sony 65x930e / Denon x3300 /Klipsch speakers /Velodyne subs /Sony x700 /PS4 Pro + PSVR/WiiU/PS3/360/Wii/ 2080 TI - 9900K PC / Multi-Arcade / Virtual Pinball TRE45ON
post #28552 of 36648 Old 08-12-2017, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I figured I can weigh in on the panel discussion. My house was burglarized and my samsung panel version from last summer was stolen. Just replaced it with the AAO2 or whatever the letters are. The contrast is definitely a little less punchy, and the difference between color space auto and native for sdr is waaaaaay more drastic. But the centimeter of brighter picture at the top and bottom doesnt exist on this new one, and the viewing angle seems a little better. Black uniformity is about the same. Ill drop back in after I spend a bit more time dialing it in.
post #28553 of 36648 Old 08-12-2017, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazzbags View Post
I figured I can weigh in on the panel discussion. My house was burglarized and my samsung panel version from last summer was stolen. Just replaced it with the AAO2 or whatever the letters are. The contrast is definitely a little less punchy, and the difference between color space auto and native for sdr is waaaaaay more drastic. But the centimeter of brighter picture at the top and bottom doesnt exist on this new one, and the viewing angle seems a little better. Black uniformity is about the same. Ill drop back in after I spend a bit more time dialing it in.
I have the same experience after visiting my brother with his FAO1 panel and going back home with my AA02. Differences aren't so noticeable with good lighting in the room, but the picture on the FA01 pops more because of the higher native contrast and noticeably better blacks (settings according to Rtngs). In a vacuum though, my AA02 is pretty good, which is the experience other users with the AA02 are having. Most users are evaluating their panel in by itself with nothing to compare with and of course the AA02 looks nice, but I wouldn't recommend AA02 users compare it to a friend's or relatives FA01 like I have (fairly obvious difference).

It's because of this difference (I've experienced first hand) that I can't recommend the AA02 to a potential buyer who wants the same experience as to what Rtngs had. It's generally easier for our eyes to pick up differences in contrast over small differences in color. The KS8000 rivaled the 9000 because of the FA01 panel and it's exceptionally high contrast. Owning a plasma for a few years(before it died), I really wanted that 7:000:1 contrast ratio!

Let us know what you think, especially the darker tones/shadows in people's faces. Enjoy your TV! It's not my intention to make you hate it .

Edit: I uploaded a pic, so that people know I have this particular panel and am not trolling, I would hope anyways.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_ks8000AA02.jpg (330.9 KB, 113 views)

Last edited by CrazyAstigmatism; 08-12-2017 at 12:51 PM.
post #28554 of 36648 Old 08-12-2017, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost too old View Post
KR, a man of your age and stature really shouldn't be up at that ungodly hour you posted this I have it pre ordered for delivery on the 22nd and can't wait
Not out in the UK until Sept 4th! Worth the wait - but at £25 one of my rare UHD purchases.
almost too old likes this.

Samsung UE55KS8000 | Pioneer SC-LX701 | Dune HD Pro 4K | Zidoo Z9S | Apple TV 4K | Nvidia Shield TV (2019) | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Player
post #28555 of 36648 Old 08-12-2017, 10:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Erzinicnik has already written a great answer:

...to which I can only add one thing. You, @Viche , have a superb AVR which can pass through* the 4K HDR Signal, so you don't need to worry about it. All you need to do is configure BOTH the TV (turn on "HDMI UHD Color" in Expert picture settings) AND the AVR ("4K Signal Format" to "Enhanced" [http://manuals.denon.com/AVRS730H/NA...Ysvvlcemq.php] NB: This is not the default, just like with the TV it's not the default. Older 4K-capable Denons like my 4200W are different, there's no switch, and they are effectively locked to 'Enhanced' mode).

[EDIT: that is a mistake, you have nothing to configure on the AVR
X4200H - 2015 model (no dedicated <4k Signal Format> setting)
X4300H - 2016 model (no dedicated <4k Signal Format> setting)
X4400H - 2017 model (dedicated <4k Signal Format< setting)
]

* We are all abusing the term "pass through" here. If an AVR doesn't explicitly say "Supports 24p/3D/4k/HDR10/HLG/White Rabbits pass through" then it won't pass [the 3D/4k/HDR10/HLG/White Rabbits information].
An HDMI port is either decoding or transmitting (it can't do both), so as long as picture and sound are encoded on one cable, the AVR has to decode the stream, separate the audio, and then repackage the picture info back up for transmitting to the TV.
If any pic info can't be decoded, then that info is discarded. This is why Denon need to issue firmware updates to add support for HLG "pass-through" and dolby vision "pass through". Each and every time something new is present in the signal, it needs to be explicitly added to the "decode-repackage-transmit" routines.
"Pass through" is a misnomer, because there is no bypass: only "decode-repackage-transmit" - whether the AVR adds an on-screen menu, or not.

So UHD-Blu-Ray player manufacturers are proving two HDMI outputs as a courtesy to some users, who have a very expensive AVR which can't decode-repackage-transmit a signal containing HDR. This avoid them having to throw away or replace a perfectly good AVR which, as it can pass 4K otherwise, is probably very new anyway. Ie, lots of people are in this situation. Hence the 2-HDMI output workaround
Thanks. Isn't there a setting on the Denons that prevents any sort of processig on the video signal being "passed through?" I know in the epson projector threads people were saying that if they allowed the receiver to display the on screen menu, it degraded picture image quality, but with the one setting on it prevented the display from showing but preserved picture quality.
post #28556 of 36648 Old 08-13-2017, 02:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche View Post
Thanks. Isn't there a setting on the Denons that prevents any sort of processig on the video signal being "passed through?" I know in the epson projector threads people were saying that if they allowed the receiver to display the on screen menu, it degraded picture image quality, but with the one setting on it prevented the display from showing but preserved picture quality.
Sure, there are indeed. [However in my experience the on-screen menu (if it's enabled, but no menu showing) doesn't degrade the picture - if that's happening, something else is wrong IMHO]
Video / Output settings: Video Conversion "on" enables on-screen menu and the functionality below. "off" is the "don't process" (but do decode-repackage-transmit) setting.
NB: If you turn it "off", the Denon menus are always on a black screen, in 720p, after an annoying HDMI hand-shake delay when it switches to that mode.

Video / Output settings: I/p Scaler, and its sub-options - controls whether you want the Denon to scale content up to 4k, or various other resolutions, or not.

I have my I/p Scaler "off" to allow the TV to do the scaling for 1080p content, and the Blu-Ray player to do the scaling for non-4K content.

But Video conversion is "on" for me to get the Volume overlay and the menus without the incredibly annoying delay.

IMPORTANT: These settings are remember "per input" on the Denon. So you could have you games console HDMI input with both turned off to minimise lag, and then other HDMI inputs with them like I have, and your cab/sat box input with both on.

Comparing the Denon's scaler to my Blu-Ray's scaler to my TV's scaler - they are all very good and it's tough to see any differences. With this brilliant TV, if you did want to use options like "Digital Clean View" to clean and scale, it's best to give it the purest unadulterated signal so turn the i/p Scaler off on the Denon. Equally, if you have a very poor cab/sat box output as some people do, the Denon scaler might do a better job of cleaning up the signal leaving the TV less to do. And don't forget you can use both eg use the Denon to scale up to 1080p, and then let the TV do the scaling up to 4k.
Terminader likes this.

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 08-13-2017 at 03:02 AM.
post #28557 of 36648 Old 08-13-2017, 03:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Is it possible to download firmware update from EU website and install it on my US TV?
timosilakka likes this.
post #28558 of 36648 Old 08-13-2017, 05:14 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic 9aida View Post
Is it possible to download firmware update from EU website and install it on my US TV?
Simply...nope. Even if you could the EU TVs are different and would be asking for problems.

Scott
The_Donster and King Richard like this.

UN60HU8550FXZC / UHD w/ SEK-3500U, Arris VIP5662W Whole Home PVR, ONKYO TX-SR353, 4K Apple TV and UBD-K8500 /ZC
UN65KS8000FXZC /SUHD w/Arris VIP5662W Whole Home PVR, Denon AVR-S720W 5.1.2 and UBD-K8500 /ZC
post #28559 of 36648 Old 08-13-2017, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Are you like me and the moment you get home you run to your TV and check if you won the 1201 lottery?

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
The_Donster likes this.
post #28560 of 36648 Old 08-13-2017, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
For this model and this thread, it doesn't matter. As explained why yesterday in the Post of the Month.

If "verified by many" means "lots of people have posted saying 'I think it's true' " without any supporting evidence, yes I agree. However I suspect that isn't what you meant, and I suspect you misused the word "verified"

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Sorry, but that's wrong and hilarious.

And we're saying that statement is speculation. Merely repeating the same speculation without evidence does not make it into a fact!

Sorry but please read the Post of the Month again. We've had a year's worth of posts and if there was a difference it would have become very clear, very early on. This didn't happen.

Just to be clear, he was not offensive.
If you read the post you would see that the stated CR for AUO panels can be found at Panelook which is an exchange that sells panels from manufactures from all over the world. If you actually looked at prior threads of older Samsung models you would see that there are members who have the equipment to actually measure these numbers and posted their results. I have a Samsung UN65H6350 from 2014 that has a AUO panel and the picture quality is good. My best friend also has a UN75H6350 and a few years ago I brought my set over to his house and fed both sets the same feeds synced up so we could compare the sets. We also had a few of our friends come over just to get more feedback. Everyone agreed that my friends UN75H6350 with the Samsung panel looked better. Blacks were better along with contrast. His set had some clouding and some bleeding on one of the lower corners. My set has none of these issues so you can certainly pick your poison. Also I never said anyone was offensive just petty with this type of talk. I do think the original poster has a point. If you bought a car that had 130hps and you found out someone else bought the same model car but his had 200hps, you might be a little upset. Unfortunately none of the professional reviewers are looking at both panels. Until then we can argue this point forever.
King Richard likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
denon s740h , extra , hdmi input , KS8000/KS8500 , no picture , one connect fail , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page