Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 963 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 179702Likes

post #28861 of 36328 Old 09-01-2017, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Ebby View Post
I found a really good deal on a factory refurbished Denon AVR-S720W at Accessories4less that comes with a 1 year warranty. This will replace my Onkyo TX-NR414 and pretty much finish off my hardware improvements for a while. Any comments on how the AVR-S720W might work with the KS8000 would be welcome. I hope they are a good match.
That looks like a good deal. It says it is HDCP 2.2 compatible, are all the HDMI ports 2.2?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28862 of 36328 Old 09-01-2017, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrendyGUy View Post
That looks like a good deal. It says it is HDCP 2.2 compatible, are all the HDMI ports 2.2?
According to this they should be:

http://avproductreviews.com/denon-avr-s720w-review/

"all of the inputs are 4K video compatible. High Dynamic Range (HDR), 4:4:4 Pure Color sub-sampling, HDCP 2.2 and BT.2020 are all supported by the 720. The 720 will pass through a 4K signal, but it won’t upscale. Most modern 4K TVs are capable of upscaling to UHD quality so in my opinion having this feature on an av receiver is unnecessary."

There is a photo of the back of the 720 in the article and the text above the HDMI ports indicates that all the ports are 2.2
Terminader likes this.

Last edited by Chuck Ebby; 09-01-2017 at 10:07 AM.
post #28863 of 36328 Old 09-01-2017, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post
If you have a 5.1 setup, what AVR are you using? You can just run the PS4 Pro through the AVR and let the AVR control the audio.
I'm using a Denon X1200W (which I love) from 2015. Should be up to date enough. I have my PS4 plugged into that, then the AVR plugged into the OCB. Which settings do you recommend for the PS4/TV in this case?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Donster View Post
I run everything through the One Connect Box, then ARC to my Onkyo @TheDarkMike161 . I'm using Dolby Digital and Bitstream through my KS8000 and Xbox One. PCM kicks in as a default depending on the streaming app I'm using. Mostly Pandora and Spotify that I've noticed. Once I pick up a UHD player I'll run that to through my AVR. Which I'll eventually upgrade down the road. Right now I only have my front and center speakers set up since I haven't finished setting up the room.
Thanks for the info. I figured for my 5.1 setup just having my cable box/ps4 pro/UHD blu ray player all go into the receiver would be most efficient way to do it.

Samsung UN65KS8000 - Denon AVR-X1200W - PS4 Pro - PS3 - Samsung UBD-K8500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28864 of 36328 Old 09-01-2017, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Simandl View Post
Ah, but that's why I was upset. There was NO new device. I had not changed anything in my system, and it was all working fine literally ten minutes earlier. Then the HDMI and ARC just stopped working all on their own.

That said, your advice worked, though it took three tries. Thanks!

Samsung's weak point in their devices is ARC/ANynet+CEC. At least you know how to fix it, if it ever cuts out again.

In my setup, I ended up disabling ARC and routing audio other ways to avoid using it. This solved all my tiny issues that eventually cropped up with ARC enabled. ARC is the root cause for many inherent issues.
ez1dog likes this.
post #28865 of 36328 Old 09-01-2017, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There are always new things on the horizon, but is this a good time to upgrade my AVR? Is there anything earth shattering in the pipeline coming up? I need to upgrade to something with HDCP 2.2 and 4k HDR. Wait or buy now?
post #28866 of 36328 Old 09-01-2017, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
There are always new things on the horizon, but is this a good time to upgrade my AVR? Is there anything earth shattering in the pipeline coming up? I need to upgrade to something with HDCP 2.2 and 4k HDR. Wait or buy now?
You may want to make sure a new AVR now also supports Dolby Vision.
post #28867 of 36328 Old 09-01-2017, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1164 Post(s)
Liked: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkMike161 View Post
I'm using a Denon X1200W (which I love) from 2015. Should be up to date enough. I have my PS4 plugged into that, then the AVR plugged into the OCB. Which settings do you recommend for the PS4/TV in this case?
I've used Denons for the past 7 years but not too familiar with the 1200. I would suggest setting the PS Pro to bitstream. That way the Denon will handle the deciding and play the proper format. Set the Samsung TV Sound to Receiver under the Select Speaker setting. That way you aren't using the TV speakers.

If you need help with any of the settings on the Pro let me know and I can check mine when I'm home.
The_Donster and King Richard like this.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #28868 of 36328 Old 09-01-2017, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I would suggest waiting if that's an option. I don't know how often you upgrade but the new HDMI standard will be out in the next 2 years. If you can't or don't want to wait that long, make sure you get one that will have eARC, Dolby Vision(if you have a capable Dolby Vision TV), HDR10+.

Myself, I purchased a Denon 6300H because I tend to resell and upgrade fairly more often than the average user. If that's an option for you, then I see no reason not to buy now.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #28869 of 36328 Old 09-01-2017, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Quote:
I found myself in the same position. Someone here recommended I look into Accesories4less and the tipping point was the price. I am hoping I can recap a good chunk of the cost by selling my Onkyo on ebay. Have had good luck with refurbished equipment. I feel less concern about being future proofed that way.
Terminader likes this.

Last edited by Chuck Ebby; 09-01-2017 at 12:50 PM.
post #28870 of 36328 Old 09-01-2017, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked: 1614
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcheng122 View Post
You may want to make sure a new AVR now also supports Dolby Vision.
In related news from another forum since our TV at least supports HLG,

"I turned on my S720W receiver today and there was an update for Dolby Vision & HLG HDR. Update took about 10 minutes. I am now on Version 3600-5946-8072."

Sent from my Samsung S8+ using Tapatalk
Chuck Ebby likes this.
post #28871 of 36328 Old 09-01-2017, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Any of you guys happen to know what the input lag is on the TV without being in game mode? I just popped in some Horizon to see how the HDR works and how it looks in game and man does it look gorgeous! One thing I noticed though was a degrade look in quality switching from game mode to standard mode. Colors look much better and I can actually notice it, before my set was calibrated I never noticed it. Now I do...lol.

So I wanted to how big a difference the input lag is. I recall the input lag is around 20-21 in game mode from what I pulled over at rtings.com but I can't get an exact number for when it's in standard mode. I tried playing the game in standard mode and it's fine to be honest, nothing serious or delays that I notice. I played a mission over in Titanfall 2 on the Xbox One S as well and see if maybe I can notice it more in an FPS game but again, no issues. I'm assuming game mode is more noticeable when playing intense fast paced fighting or racing games?
post #28872 of 36328 Old 09-01-2017, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Liked: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu Silveira View Post
True, it's just that now that I noticed the difference, I can't tell or feel like it's crushing the black or not...lol. And I do agree go with what looks good to your eyes but I did spend some cash to get this calibration done so I would like everything to be well set...lol.
If you want to get your calibration money worth, keep watching in the calibrated Movie mode for everything and train your eyes to like it. After your eyes and brain get used to it, maybe you will like the picture.
post #28873 of 36328 Old 09-01-2017, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 727 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu Silveira View Post
Any of you guys happen to know what the input lag is on the TV without being in game mode? I just popped in some Horizon to see how the HDR works and how it looks in game and man does it look gorgeous! One thing I noticed though was a degrade look in quality switching from game mode to standard mode. Colors look much better and I can actually notice it, before my set was calibrated I never noticed it. Now I do...lol.

So I wanted to how big a difference the input lag is. I recall the input lag is around 20-21 in game mode from what I pulled over at rtings.com but I can't get an exact number for when it's in standard mode. I tried playing the game in standard mode and it's fine to be honest, nothing serious or delays that I notice. I played a mission over in Titanfall 2 on the Xbox One S as well and see if maybe I can notice it more in an FPS game but again, no issues. I'm assuming game mode is more noticeable when playing intense fast paced fighting or racing games?

You would assume a bump for sure likely closer to the 50-60ms mark.
As long as interpolation and some of the post processing nonsense is off you should be fine.

I play in a Cal-Day mode and have noticed very little in the way of additional lag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #28874 of 36328 Old 09-01-2017, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
"If you need any of those HD audio formats, then you have to connect them to your AVR first"....which you should be doing anyway . So no problem!

(
Well, actually there is a problem when connecting everything to the AVR first. You cannot have different picture setting for each of your devices. Your cable box and Bluray player will have to share the same picture setting. Gain some lose some.
Terminader likes this.
post #28875 of 36328 Old 09-01-2017, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
No one know that for sure. We know HDMI2.1 is coming, but do not know when. Does it make sense to wait for it? Well, our TV does not support it and Samsung is unlikely to "upgrade" our TV to support it, so unless you plan to change your TV next year, it is not worth the wait.
post #28876 of 36328 Old 09-01-2017, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acefr View Post
Your cable box and Bluray player will have to share the same picture setting. Gain some lose some.
Not entirely true. There are more than one picture modes to store settings. Example, I use Cal Day for my basic viewing such as DirecTV. I switch to Cal Night for movie watching.
mrtickleuk likes this.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #28877 of 36328 Old 09-01-2017, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 3
question about xbox one s quality

Hello,

So idk if this is just all in my head, my eyes have adjusted to the once amazing quality of the tv picture, or maybe something else but when I play my xbox one s especially the new Madden 18 game or UFC 2, I really am underwhelmed with the picture quality. First off I notice a lot of jagged edges and a lack of alaising, and the image looks blurrier. Like in Madden 18, I set the madden camera a little farther back (about 2 presses of the down button on D pad) than what the default camera is at and the players numbers look blurrier.

Now I am looking for someone with actual knowledge to tell me if this is possibly why: is it possible that the hdmi cable plugged into my xbox one s is loosely connected to the one connect box or the back of my xbox one s? (i am using the HDMI cable that came with the xbox one s, so its capable of playing 4k content since its HDMI 2.0). Basically what I am asking is if the hdmi cable is not completely pushed in would it degrade resolution or picture quality? Or would there just be no picture displaying at all?
post #28878 of 36328 Old 09-01-2017, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Suddenly, my 'HDMI 2' is behaving differently. I have a Chromecast Ultra connected. It can only choose Standard or Dynamic modes, and a bunch of advanced options are grayed-out and unavailable. The screen dims automatically soon after selecting the source. Other HDMI inputs seem ok with all options available. What happened?
post #28879 of 36328 Old 09-01-2017, 09:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1050 Post(s)
Liked: 1177
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergalthema View Post
Suddenly, my 'HDMI 2' is behaving differently. I have a Chromecast Ultra connected. It can only choose Standard or Dynamic modes, and a bunch of advanced options are grayed-out and unavailable. The screen dims automatically soon after selecting the source. Other HDMI inputs seem ok with all options available. What happened?
Perhaps somehow it has shifted into PC mode. Many picture options are limited or not available in that mode.
King Richard likes this.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #28880 of 36328 Old 09-01-2017, 09:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked: 1614
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergalthema View Post
Try rebooting the Chromecast

Sent from my Samsung S8+ using Tapatalk
King Richard likes this.
post #28881 of 36328 Old 09-01-2017, 11:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbchicken View Post
Hello,

So idk if this is just all in my head, my eyes have adjusted to the once amazing quality of the tv picture, or maybe something else but when I play my xbox one s especially the new Madden 18 game or UFC 2, I really am underwhelmed with the picture quality. First off I notice a lot of jagged edges and a lack of alaising, and the image looks blurrier. Like in Madden 18, I set the madden camera a little farther back (about 2 presses of the down button on D pad) than what the default camera is at and the players numbers look blurrier.

Now I am looking for someone with actual knowledge to tell me if this is possibly why: is it possible that the hdmi cable plugged into my xbox one s is loosely connected to the one connect box or the back of my xbox one s? (i am using the HDMI cable that came with the xbox one s, so its capable of playing 4k content since its HDMI 2.0). Basically what I am asking is if the hdmi cable is not completely pushed in would it degrade resolution or picture quality? Or would there just be no picture displaying at all?
Madden 18 looks phenomenal on my set, although I am using a PS4 Pro. I also use the same view as you and I have no blurring issues. Picture is very crisp and clear.

As for the HDMI being loose, I doubt that is the cause. It's probably something with the Xbox, or TV settings.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #28882 of 36328 Old 09-02-2017, 01:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Quoted: 4425 Post(s)
Liked: 6701
Quote:
Well, actually there is a problem when connecting everything to the AVR first. You cannot have different picture setting for each of your devices. Your cable box and Bluray player will have to share the same picture setting. Gain some lose some.
Yes this is true, but I don't have the need to use different picture settings for my HD satellite viewing and my 4k/HD blu-ray viewing. Talking just about SDR, even if you share the same mode (ie "Movie" for both) I turn off artificial processing like Dynamic Contrast, Digital Clean View, Sharpness, etc.

If you do need to have slightly different settings, eg Auto Motion Plus on one of them, you can always use "standard" for general TV watching and set all the settings the same.

Then in HDR mode you have a whole other set of HDR-movie settings anyway for 4k blu rays.

OR, if you really have to, you can always connect only the non-HD audio devices like cable/satellite boxes direct to the One Connect Box to get this functionality, and everything else through the AVR to get the HD audio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post
Not entirely true. There are more than one picture modes to store settings. Example, I use Cal Day for my basic viewing such as DirecTV. I switch to Cal Night for movie watching.
Indeed, yes. For people without the cal modes unlocked (and we're all out of warantee now aren't we, so why not pop into the SM and unlock them ) there are other options like using Standard.
jconjason likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #28883 of 36328 Old 09-02-2017, 01:04 AM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 4367
Quote:

As someone else already mentioned, the biggest upgrade on the horizon right now is HDMI 2.1. It is a significant upgrade to the current HDMI specification. We should start seeing components with these new HDMI inputs sometimes next year.

If it was me, and if you're in no rush to upgrade, I would wait 'till next year to see what is available then. (Unless you intend to upgrade your AVR again in a few years.)

But if you can't wait that long, there are plenty of affordable choices available right now that have HDMI 2.0a/HDCP 2.2 inputs for 4K HDR pass-through.

Richard
Terminader and The_Donster like this.
post #28884 of 36328 Old 09-02-2017, 01:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
Perhaps somehow it has shifted into PC mode. Many picture options are limited or not available in that mode.
Yes. Only having Dynamic and Standard available is 100% certain that the TV thinks that input is a PC. Can happen if the Chromecast for whatever reason started sending RGB, or 4:4:4 video to it.
King Richard likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #28885 of 36328 Old 09-02-2017, 01:09 AM
Lionheart of AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdyn View Post
Hi, I've to connect my PS4 Pro with optical cable directly to the Logitech Z5500 receiver or via tv pass through (HDMI in, optical out) . Are there differences in quality?

Just connect your PS4 directly to your Logitech via optical.

But to answer your question, no, you are not going to notice a difference in audio quality.

Richard
post #28886 of 36328 Old 09-02-2017, 01:10 AM
Lionheart of AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarhoshAmiral View Post
I believe the answer is no but can someone confirm that KS8000 is not capable of passing through Dolby Atmos soundtracks? Using Plex app if I play a video with TrueHD, my receiver still only picks up Dolby Digital. However if I play the same video through Nvidia Shield that is connected to reciever first, it picks up the TrueHD soundtrack. My reciever is Yamaha RX A-770 and it is connected to TV via HDMI/ARC. When I had Nvidia Shield connected to TV first, it also wasn't able to pass through DD+ from Netflix which is why it is connected to receiver instead.

Ideally I would want everything connected to TV since it makes switching between inputs easier but looks like that won't be an option as KS8000 doesn't seem to be able to pass through audio as it is. I already have HDMI audio set to bitstream.
Quote:
No TV can pass Lossless audio (TrueHD, ATMOS, DTS-MA, DTS:X) from ARC due to its bandwidth. For that you need the next version ARC called E-ARC over HDMI2.1, which is not yet in the market.

Our TV cannot even pass DD+. If you need any of those HD audio formats, then you have to connect them to your AVR first.
^^^ Exactly!

See >THIS POST<

(P.S. It's been a while since I posted one of my famous "See >THIS POST<" posts. )

Richard
Terminader and The_Donster like this.
post #28887 of 36328 Old 09-02-2017, 01:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richard View Post
See >THIS POST<

(P.S. It's been a while since I posted one of my famous "See >THIS POST<" posts. )
See >THIS POST< for the last time you did that (1st August) in this thread

post #28888 of 36328 Old 09-02-2017, 03:36 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Simandl View Post
Ah, but that's why I was upset. There was NO new device. I had not changed anything in my system, and it was all working fine literally ten minutes earlier. Then the HDMI and ARC just stopped working all on their own.

That said, your advice worked, though it took three tries. Thanks!
same thing just happened to me! it keeps happening to my verizon output. Did you notice any differences in your picture quality as well? Idk what is up im gonna try the work around
post #28889 of 36328 Old 09-02-2017, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbchicken View Post
same thing just happened to me! it keeps happening to my verizon output. Did you notice any differences in your picture quality as well? Idk what is up im gonna try the work around
Not this time.

Though in a totally unrelated incident a few months back, the TV came on with the picture in PC mode instead of my carefully calibrated Movie mode and I had to switch it back.

BTW, I live alone, so nobody else is fubaring these things behind my back.
mrtickleuk likes this.

Bob Simandl ... somewhere near St. Louis
post #28890 of 36328 Old 09-02-2017, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richard View Post
^^^ Exactly!
See >THIS POST<
Richard
Using optical/toslink connection, there is a loss of quality via TV pass through compared to direct connection?

PS4Pro--Z5500
PS4Pro--KS8000--Z5500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
denon s740h , extra , hdmi input , KS8000/KS8500 , no picture , one connect fail , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page