Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 965 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 179865Likes

post #28921 of 36533 Old 09-05-2017, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by budda109 View Post
How critical is the software location? I have read on here some in the UK,some in Korea and so on. Does it matter where it comes from if the TV is the same? KS8500 65" I am currently at 1180. I almost always grab the update and apply it manually. Auto update seems to be lacking. So far I have never used a software upgrade from a non US site. The the versions are always slightly different and would guess there is a reason right? Or not? Thanks
From what I understand, non-US firmware won't work when plugged in via USB on a region locked KS series.
Terminader likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28922 of 36533 Old 09-05-2017, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfoldingSquid View Post
HDR+ in picture settings is not HDR10+, HDR+ is just a way for SDR content to simulate HDR.
As far as HDR10+ requiring HDMI 2.1, after the whole evolution kit from a few years ago I tend to trust Samsung that the 2016 TVs are future proofed. Why would they let us firmware update to HDR10+ if the HDMI ports couldn't handle it? I think it would be more likely that they would say only the 2017 TVs could do HDR10+ if that were the case.
Ummm... I wasn't talking about any of that. I was having an issue with my Chromecast being detected as PC by the KS8000...
post #28923 of 36533 Old 09-05-2017, 09:11 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 29
bummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioomagates View Post
From what I understand, non-US firmware won't work when plugged in via USB on a region locked KS series.
Thanks. Was going to play a bit. Saved me some wasted time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28924 of 36533 Old 09-05-2017, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Am wanting to make my coloring more accurate but wanted to know if a disc like Spears & Munsil really makes that much of a difference and is worth it (or reccomend a different disc?) or if true calibration via actual professional calibratotion/tools is basically the only thing that makes the difference? I would hire someone to do it but unfortunately have none near me. So am just wondering if it like 75% as good as professional or how equivalent a disc type thing can actually be?
post #28925 of 36533 Old 09-05-2017, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganElisabeth View Post
Am wanting to make my coloring more accurate but wanted to know if a disc like Spears & Munsil really makes that much of a difference and is worth it (or reccomend a different disc?) or if true calibration via actual professional calibratotion/tools is basically the only thing that makes the difference? I would hire someone to do it but unfortunately have none near me. So am just wondering if it like 75% as good as professional or how equivalent a disc type thing can actually be?
A calibration disc will get you a good contrast and brightness settings. With the sharpness pattern you should be able to fix all the halo effects from factory. Other than that, nothing else. You can use the blue filter to do the color decoder but most of the time the color other than red becomes de-saturated.

A professional will get you much better results, but don't expect it will be "god-like". But it will be within 95-97% within "specs". To get to "NEAR perfection" you need a 3DLUT solution for HD (nothing for 4k/HDR right now). With a good 3DLUT table you can get down to a .800 DeltaE in REC709 all across the greyscale and color spectrum.
post #28926 of 36533 Old 09-05-2017, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hey guys, I have a weird question. Today, my dad used a product called Touch of Purple the claims to clean TV's, glasses, and etc. He used it on the KS8000 and now there's tons of streaks and bloaches on the screen. How can I get rid of these? I'm ruined that product permanently messed up the screen. Any ideas on what I can do to fix this problem?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
post #28927 of 36533 Old 09-05-2017, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2331 Post(s)
Liked: 1662
Quote:
Originally Posted by budda109 View Post
How critical is the software location? I have read on here some in the UK,some in Korea and so on. Does it matter where it comes from if the TV is the same? KS8500 65" I am currently at 1180. I almost always grab the update and apply it manually. Auto update seems to be lacking. So far I have never used a software upgrade from a non US site. The the versions are always slightly different and would guess there is a reason right? Or not? Thanks
If your model number begins with UN, you can use the firmware from the Korean site. If it begins with UE (as in the UK), you can't.

As discussed previously, there appears to be no "Korean" or "US" firmware.
Terminader and mrtickleuk like this.
post #28928 of 36533 Old 09-05-2017, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 2331 Post(s)
Liked: 1662
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurisuRamaSama View Post
Hey guys, I have a weird question. Today, my dad used a product called Touch of Purple the claims to clean TV's, glasses, and etc. He used it on the KS8000 and now there's tons of streaks and bloaches on the screen. How can I get rid of these? I'm ruined that product permanently messed up the screen. Any ideas on what I can do to fix this problem?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
First try a little distilled water on a clean microfiber cloth.

If that doesn't work, try a known good screen cleaner. I've used the Monster Cable product to remove skin oils. It's overpriced, but still only about $20. You only need a small amount.
post #28929 of 36533 Old 09-05-2017, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergalthema View Post
Ummm... I wasn't talking about any of that. I was having an issue with my Chromecast being detected as PC by the KS8000...
Don't know how that happened, didn't intend to tag you on that multi quote

Samsung 75Q9FN
Samsung HW-N950
Samsung UBD-M9500

Samsung 55Q80R - Bedroom
post #28930 of 36533 Old 09-05-2017, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 4858 Post(s)
Liked: 7150
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
If your model number begins with UN, you can use the firmware from the Korean site. If it begins with UE (as in the UK), you can't.

As discussed previously, there appears to be no "Korean" or "US" firmware.
Yes indeed, thankyou.

There are actually only 3 different chassis.
  1. T-JZMDEUC, sold across Europe, CIS and parts of Middle East and North Africa.
  2. T-JZMUABC, sold in Asia Pacific, other parts of Middle East and North Africa, and Latin America
  3. T-JZMAKUC, sold in Canada and South Korea. Oh, and America.

In summary there are only 3 different multilingual downloadable firmware files covering the whole 2016 range. 
If your chassis matches, the firmware will install and work. 
If not, it will refuse to install. You can't do any harm other than wasting your own time.

You can and should check your chassis type on the "Support / Contact Samsung" page; it's shown in your current "Software version" string.

So, today they released the T-JZMAKUC firmware. It's on the Korean website first, great, but it's neither Korean nor American. It's just the T-JZMAKUC firmware. And later, the exact same file will be available on the USA support pages, and pushed to TVs as over-the-air upgrades. HTH

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 09-06-2017 at 04:36 PM.
post #28931 of 36533 Old 09-05-2017, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfoldingSquid View Post
As far as HDR10+ requiring HDMI 2.1, after the whole evolution kit from a few years ago I tend to trust Samsung that the 2016 TVs are future proofed. Why would they let us firmware update to HDR10+ if the HDMI ports couldn't handle it?
That's an easy question, it's because there's a huge difference between
  1. a firmware update which adds HDR10+ capability for just one streaming app (Amzaon Prime Video), and
  2. a firmware update which adds HDR10+ capability for just the streaming apps, and
  3. a firmware update which adds HDR10+ capability for DLNA, USB files and all the streaming apps, and
  4. a firmware update which adds HDR10+ capability for all the HDMI ports, DLNA, USB files and all the streaming apps.

Their press release said they'd support an update to add HDR10+ but they definitely did not say which of the 4 options above. Insiders have posted many times that it's not certain (see the HDR10+ thread).

We might get just number 1, and our hardware might mean that number 4 is impossible. The other options are just software. Number 4 is at the mercy of the hardware. We have to wait and see. It is very important not to conflate these different options, it's confusing enough already :-)

Quote:
I think it would be more likely that they would say only the 2017 TVs could do HDR10+ if that were the case.
See above. It's not just about if it can "do HDR10+", that's much too vague; Samsung have not said which inputs, because they are still working on it. Today on the HDR10+ thread. the "2016/2017 chipset" was expressed as a single item. If this is really the case and it's the same chipset then Samsung have very strong motivation, it would be more embarrassing if the 2017 models turned out to be also streaming-only. But not beyond Samsung to brave it out.

See >THIS POST< .

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 09-05-2017 at 01:09 PM.
post #28932 of 36533 Old 09-05-2017, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Indeed, yes. For people without the cal modes unlocked (and we're all out of warantee now aren't we, so why not pop into the SM and unlock them ) there are other options like using Standard.
There is only one dangerous place one can play around the settings and brick his TV, and it is called Service Menu.
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #28933 of 36533 Old 09-05-2017, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdyn View Post
Using optical/toslink connection, there is a loss of quality via TV pass through compared to direct connection?

PS4Pro--Z5500
PS4Pro--KS8000--Z5500
The toslink has the same audio quality as HDMI-ARC, and same limitation. They only support standard (compressed) DD and DTS5.1. Someone mentions you also need to choose the audio format (DD or DTS) to bitstream it, or it will revert to PCM.
post #28934 of 36533 Old 09-05-2017, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminader View Post
2) My TV has usually been wired to the internet. I was surprised that my wireless would consistently get lower download speeds on the TV than I get with other devices. It worked well enough for content, so I didn't care too much. When I upgraded my internet from 40Mbps down to 100Mbps down, it didn't improve on the TV....until today. Again, could be that I haven't noticed lately, but just now I tested using speedof.me and my wireless 5G is 115Mbps down! I did also confirm that the wireless 5G is almost twice as fast as the wired, so something is still wrong on the TV. I'll just use wireless from now on.

Any other 'findings'?

Sent from my Samsung S8+ using Tapatalk
Well, the LAN port of our TV is 100Mbps, and the 2x2 802.11ac wifi is 867Mbps. Those are maximum speed in theory. It is normal for the TV wireless AC beats the LAN port speed.
Terminader likes this.
post #28935 of 36533 Old 09-05-2017, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Yes indeed, thankyou.

There are actually only 3 different chassis.
  1. T-JZMDEUC, sold across Europe, CIS and parts of Middle East and North Africa.
  2. T-JZMUABC, sold in Asia Pacific, other parts of Middle East and North Africa, and Latin America
  3. T-JZMAKUC, sold in Canada and South Korea. Oh, and America.

In summary there are only 3 different multilingual downloadable firmware files covering the whole 2016 range.
If your chassis matches, the firmware will install and work.
If not, it will refuse to install. You can't do any harm other than wasting your own time.

You can and should check your chassis type on the "Support / Contact Samsung" page; it's shown in your current firmware version string.

So, today they released the T-JZMAKUC firmware. It's on the Korean website first, great, but it's neither Korean nor American. It's just the T-JZMAKUC firmware. And later, the exact same file will be available on the USA support pages, and pushed to TVs as over-the-air upgrades. HTH

Seems to take a long time to get to the US support pages. I like to play with the software. I got it work just fine. Today I bought my son MU7000. US support site had a new version . Of course because it was just out of the box. But the one the auto updater is doing is really old. I am getting newest one directly from the web site. Version for these TV's are all over the place. To bad it does not just keep a standard so to speak. But its fun to play with. Thanks again for the clarity on the software!
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #28936 of 36533 Old 09-05-2017, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazog View Post
I can't get the link to work on my computer

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
post #28937 of 36533 Old 09-05-2017, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davin81 View Post
First night getting a chance to actually sit down and watch a 4k uhd movie since the 1080 update( in full) on the ks8500, movie of choice fate of the furious. Eyes might be adjusting to an overall better image but I'm guessing it might not be as bright is what's throwing me off. Watching in standard mode with all the approved settings, Just wanted to make sure I'm right on a few things. The notification of an HDR movie is playing has been removed with the update? Backlight and contrast both max out as before. Info button is giving me 3840x2160 24p. We also watched alot of football today and it seemed a little more dull then normal( backlight at 12 before the update) Messed around and adjusted the backlight higher and seemed to do the trick, with as before anything above 12 was way too bright to look at. Is there anything I'm missing with the new update?
Every movie is different. I just watched the Fate of the Furious UHD disc, and the HDR effect is bit weak. I watched it in Movie mode and had to turn on HDR+ to enhance the HDR effect. I don't normally use HDR+, but for this movie, it does wonder to the picture.
post #28938 of 36533 Old 09-05-2017, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Well, not related to firmware, but the YouTube was updated. At the end of videos, normally there would be 2 video recommended links to check out from the creator. Those were missing, now they properly show and you can select and click on them to load. Prior to this, there were no recommended videos, just empty space, for me anyway.
Terminader likes this.
post #28939 of 36533 Old 09-05-2017, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post
I can't get the link to work on my computer

I was able to download to my cell phone and transfer to PC.

Terminader likes this.
post #28940 of 36533 Old 09-05-2017, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 572
Downloaded 1203.6 from the Korean site to USB thumb drive, unzipped and loaded to TV with no issues.

Completely subjective first impressions .....

The last HDR arrival on Amazon that I am aware of was the Tick. I rewatched the beginning of episode one. It seems to me that the colors are different. The spaceship that creates the explosion in Siberia has colors dancing inside it that I don't remember from before. Images seem generally sharper. Almost a 3D effect because they are so clear.

post #28941 of 36533 Old 09-05-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotarydude View Post
A calibration disc will get you a good contrast and brightness settings. With the sharpness pattern you should be able to fix all the halo effects from factory. Other than that, nothing else. You can use the blue filter to do the color decoder but most of the time the color other than red becomes de-saturated.

A professional will get you much better results, but don't expect it will be "god-like". But it will be within 95-97% within "specs". To get to "NEAR perfection" you need a 3DLUT solution for HD (nothing for 4k/HDR right now). With a good 3DLUT table you can get down to a .800 DeltaE in REC709 all across the greyscale and color spectrum.
Thank you very much for letting me know. Only wanted it for more accurate coloring so now will know not to waste time with the disc. Thank you!
post #28942 of 36533 Old 09-05-2017, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmie View Post
Well, not related to firmware, but the YouTube was updated. At the end of videos, normally there would be 2 video recommended links to check out from the creator. Those were missing, now they properly show and you can select and click on them to load. Prior to this, there were no recommended videos, just empty space, for me anyway.
I've noticed that change to how YouTube behaves too. I HATE the "recommended links" thumbnail videos covering over the last 20 seconds of the video. It's really intrusive and disrespectful to the video. Does anyone know how to turn this off? It's bad enough having auto-play-next playing the next item when you play one item in a playlist even though you explicitly have turned it OFF in the settings, and now this.
Terminader likes this.

post #28943 of 36533 Old 09-05-2017, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganElisabeth View Post
Thank you very much for letting me know. Only wanted it for more accurate coloring so now will know not to waste time with the disc. Thank you!
Hi. Once you get the Brightness, Contrast and sharpness correct, I have found Samsungs to be perfectly acceptable for general home viewing on the color spectrum front. Most people I could show a 2 point adjusted correctly and one from the factory, you would be amazed at the Pro's guessing which one is which. Pick one of the preset modes you like( Standard or Movie) adjust a little to personal taste and enjoy. I am not knocking good calibrations at all, but I do know a lot of people that liked their Displays better before the Calibration.
Please enjoy the Wonderful Displays we are able to enjoy Now Days.
All the Best,
Glen
Terminader and dejanh like this.

Nothing's Impossible if you don't have to do it yourself ! Glenee
post #28944 of 36533 Old 09-05-2017, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Ebby View Post
Downloaded 1203.6 from the Korean site to USB thumb drive, unzipped and loaded to TV with no issues.

The last HDR arrival on Amazon that I am aware of was the Tick. I rewatched the beginning of episode one. It seems to me that the colors are different. The spaceship that creates the explosion in Siberia has colors dancing inside it that I don't remember from before. Images seem generally sharper. Almost a 3D effect because they are so clear.
Can you post the link. Can't find it. Thanx.
post #28945 of 36533 Old 09-05-2017, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmartinijr1 View Post
Can you post the link. Can't find it. Thanx.
Found it. Never mind. Thanx.
post #28946 of 36533 Old 09-06-2017, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

I am still on the latest firmware for the US and I found the same watching the Tick last night. I kept pointing out to my wife how clear the picture is. Also, I get the banner that lets me know an HDR video is playing still. That never went away for me.

So, is there inconsistencies in the impact from the firmware updates?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #28947 of 36533 Old 09-06-2017, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoy View Post
I am still on the latest firmware for the US and I found the same watching the Tick last night. I kept pointing out to my wife how clear the picture is. Also, I get the banner that lets me know an HDR video is playing still. That never went away for me.

So, is there inconsistencies in the impact from the firmware updates?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Doubt it. It's all subjective. I was just posting my impressions which were favorable. 1180.5 also looked great.

The main thing when we get the software updates is that we don't take a step back. Only God and Samsung knows what is in them.

post #28948 of 36533 Old 09-06-2017, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Installed the update about 36 hours ago. So far it's working well. I noticed a couple of bloom spots I had are now gone, which is a good thing. Overall, the Smart Hub is smoother, less choppy, but whether this sticks remains to be seen. I have also noticed a difference in motion handling. I am getting less ghosting when using the Auto setting when compared to 1180.5. Since I have not had previous FW versions, I cannot comment on how it compares to prior FW versions. I verified the change using my Planet Earth II disc, where I had very distinct scenes that exhibited this problem. It is still there mind you, just a lot less than on 1180.5.
Chuck Ebby and Terminader like this.
post #28949 of 36533 Old 09-06-2017, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked: 1633
Quote:
Doubt it. It's all subjective. I was just posting my impressions which were favorable. 1180.5 also looked great.

The main thing when we get the software updates is that we don't take a step back. Only God and Samsung knows what is in them.
Samsung doesn't provide details to God either!

Day 2 for me on 1203: still enjoying snappier, more consistent Smarthub user experience and faster wifi! No new issues....

Sent from my Samsung S8+ using Tapatalk
Chuck Ebby, mrtickleuk and Maajid like this.

Last edited by Terminader; 09-06-2017 at 08:39 AM.
post #28950 of 36533 Old 09-06-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post
Hi. Once you get the Brightness, Contrast and sharpness correct, I have found Samsungs to be perfectly acceptable for general home viewing on the color spectrum front. Most people I could show a 2 point adjusted correctly and one from the factory, you would be amazed at the Pro's guessing which one is which. Pick one of the preset modes you like( Standard or Movie) adjust a little to personal taste and enjoy. I am not knocking good calibrations at all, but I do know a lot of people that liked their Displays better before the Calibration.
Please enjoy the Wonderful Displays we are able to enjoy Now Days.
All the Best,
Glen
Thank you so much for telling me this. (: I've found I'm pretty picky and felt I was missing out on something with coloring not being specially calibrated. I do know when I tried settings suggested to me for WB it looks much less muted and doesn't have the greenish tint like before. So I do notice there is a significant difference but agree that it's not too much! Definitely am, thank you again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
denon s740h , extra , hdmi input , KS8000/KS8500 , no picture , one connect fail , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page