Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 97 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 180065Likes

post #2881 of 36870 Old 07-08-2016, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 908 Post(s)
Liked: 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by layzzzee8 View Post
Terminader do you have your cable box paired with the remote and does it load thumbnails for currently playing channels?
I have DIRECTV. In the channels section above, it just has channel numbers and icons, no thumbnails...

Sent from my Samsung S7 Edge using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2882 of 36870 Old 07-08-2016, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by checker9 View Post
Your Samsung bezel looks black. I thought it was silver?
They are silver. But Gunmetal on the Costco/BJs versions.
The_Donster likes this.
post #2883 of 36870 Old 07-08-2016, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminader View Post
I have DIRECTV. In the channels section above, it just has channel numbers and icons, no thumbnails...

As I suspected. Hopefully the reset will fix my Smarthub loading. If not then it may be time to unpair the box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2884 of 36870 Old 07-08-2016, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1657 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:
Thanks. Which do you have? Is yours the silver one? I am wondering how it looks in actual use because I am concerned that the silver will dry my eyes to it, but if yours is silver, it looks not noticeable in a dark room.
post #2885 of 36870 Old 07-08-2016, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by checker9 View Post
Quote:
Thanks. Which do you have? Is yours the silver one? I am wondering how it looks in actual use because I am concerned that the silver will dry my eyes to it, but if yours is silver, it looks not noticeable in a dark room.
I have the BJs one. I like the color a lot. I don't think you'll have an issue with either in a dark room since the TV is so bright. But I am not the original poster. I don't know what he has. The legs are reflective with both colors. You will definitely notice them.
post #2886 of 36870 Old 07-08-2016, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2speed125 View Post
Lol. Shorten the cables and you may be able to manage these cables a lot better. Tie all the cables together with velcro ties and take your time and I'm sure you can manage this without any boxes. I have a total of 12 items plugged into my entertainment center and everything is organized the tied together so it doesn't create a huge mess.
Well, I'll see as the box is coming tomorrow. I'm even leaning towards a 2nd box as I don't want to mix the ac cords with the hdmi's and the ethernets.

Box came today. Too small and worth about $3 . . . going back!

UNK65KS8500 (curved model)
HW-K950 Samsung Atmos soundbar-with rears
HW-J8500 Samsung Soundbar (sold 10-24-16)
Sanus universal soundbar speaker mount SA405B1
Samsung 4K Ultra HD Bluray player UBDK8500
Harmony 650 remote ($43 amazon)

Last edited by Expidia; 07-09-2016 at 04:14 PM.
post #2887 of 36870 Old 07-08-2016, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 908 Post(s)
Liked: 1658
Maybe this was already mentioned, but I am pleasantly surprised that picture settings are retained by the TV for each app: YouTube vs. HBO NOW vs. My DIRECTV feed.

I just adjusted my favorite mode, HDR+, back light down to 10 from 20 on DIRECTV. Then when I went into YouTube, the HDR+ back light was at its default of 20. Very cool!

post #2888 of 36870 Old 07-08-2016, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminader View Post
Maybe this was already mentioned, but I am pleasantly surprised that picture settings are retained by the TV for each app: YouTube vs. HBO NOW vs. My DIRECTV feed.

I just adjusted my favorite mode, HDR+, back light down to 10 from 20 on DIRECTV. Then when I went into YouTube, the HDR+ back light was at its default of 20. Very cool!

Thats great. Must be a new feature of the 1114 firmware.
post #2889 of 36870 Old 07-08-2016, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Ok guys, my KS8000 is on the wall. Is there a settings thread or as section of this thread with some settings to use as a starting point?

So far it looks decent, but not great. Motion handling is a bit odd, which I assumed would be the case, maybe it'll just take time to adjust from my plasma. I also need to tweak the settings I'm sure. I just put it in movie mode for now.
post #2890 of 36870 Old 07-08-2016, 08:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95 View Post
Ok guys, my KS8000 is on the wall. Is there a settings thread or as section of this thread with some settings to use as a starting point?

So far it looks decent, but not great. Motion handling is a bit odd, which I assumed would be the case, maybe it'll just take time to adjust from my plasma. I also need to tweak the settings I'm sure. I just put it in movie mode for now.
For motion use the custom settings. Turn judder reduction to 10 which is the default setting. Then turn it down from there until it's bearable. I find 6 to work the best. I find blur reduction set to anything above 0 causes artifacts. But I'm very sensitive to it.
post #2891 of 36870 Old 07-08-2016, 09:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
For motion use the custom settings. Turn judder reduction to 10 which is the default setting. Then turn it down from there until it's bearable. I find 6 to work the best. I find blur reduction set to anything above 0 causes artifacts. But I'm very sensitive to it.
When I turn on the motion handling items its as if the TV runs smooth for several frames and then skips frames. It's odd. It's like every second or so it gets behind, drops frames to catch up, that's the only way I know how to explain it. Turning all the motion items off has helped but then you have a lot of blur/smearing.
post #2892 of 36870 Old 07-08-2016, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 80
So is there a "standard" height one should mount their TV at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rabnud and The_Donster like this.
post #2893 of 36870 Old 07-08-2016, 10:43 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 4368
Quote:
When I turn on the motion handling items its as if the TV runs smooth for several frames and then skips frames. It's odd. It's like every second or so it gets behind, drops frames to catch up, that's the only way I know how to explain it. Turning all the motion items off has helped but then you have a lot of blur/smearing.

You can try turning ON "LED Clear Motion"

(You can read up on this setting in my >> JS Series Picture Settings Guide <<)

For previous plasma owners, the "Motion Blur" and "Judder" on LCD TVs take some getting use to.

Richard
post #2894 of 36870 Old 07-08-2016, 10:47 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 4368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rfitz89 View Post

Your eyes should be as close as possible to the "middle" of the TV.

If you need to mount it higher, get a "tilting wall mount" so you can tilt the TV down.

Richard
The_Donster and Rfitz89 like this.
post #2895 of 36870 Old 07-08-2016, 11:28 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rfitz89 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Definitely eye level when sitting down. Less eye strain not having to look up and you'll also take advantage of the best available picture sitting straight on. I always found it trial and error when mounting my screen and sound bar. To get that perfect lineup requires some thought.
Rfitz89 likes this.
post #2896 of 36870 Old 07-08-2016, 11:38 PM

Like it so far!

Been lurking in this thread and the vizio p series thread. Decided to try the KS8000 since I'm not a big fan of best buys return policy. Figured the Sam's Club 90 day return was enough time to evaluate the KS8000 and then most likely the P series would also be available at Sams within that time frame. I'll tell you what, after seeing them both in store – the p series is so clunky compared to the samsung. I don't think I can do it for that reason alone. The ks8000 is so sleek and sexy. I received mine today and got it mounted and all hooked up. I'll admit I wasn't blown away at first, but after tweaking some settings and playing with content – it definitely is a great set. The 65" is actually almost the identical footprint size of my 60" Vizio M series I had. Because of Vizio's large border and the Sammy being all screen, the sammy is actually about a 1/2 inch shorter and only 3" wider. I'm still looking for the perfect settings for cable. But man, even my wife and mother said "that's one sexy tv". LOL. I was relieved to find out how to turn off the samsung light in this thread, that alone could have been a deal breaker for me - could get distracting in dark rooms. I ordered the new googlecast vizio sound bar to go with this tv, should be arriving soon. I have the older model but can't seem to pair the sammy remote with it for volume. My xfinitiy remote paired with it no problem, but ideally I'm trying to get down to one remote. If anyone has any tips - my sound bar is hooked up through optical - so that may be the issue. Maybe I should do ARC when the new one arrives and then maybe the sammy remote will learn that input.
The_Donster likes this.
post #2897 of 36870 Old 07-08-2016, 11:43 PM

Quote:

Did you plug in the setting from rtings.com? That seems to be the starting point for most users. I just set mine up today too. Did those tweaks and it was a big improvement, try your settings with HDR+ on and off to compare - you might like it depending on content.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sam...s8000/settings
The_Donster likes this.
post #2898 of 36870 Old 07-09-2016, 02:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2speed125 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expidia View Post
Almost done with my setup. Still I have this snake issue. I hate snakes!

I was going to get some shorter cables from amazon basics and snake what I could through the sanus stand hollow upright
but I already started trying that last week after I installed the sound bar and even after wire tying the overage in little circles it was still a mess. . . so I took them apart again and figured there must be a better way.

The samsung black connect box is a bit of an issue with this stand as it entails yet another 5 cables sticking out of it.

What about some type of a black plastic box to hide everything?

And a search on amazon for "cable management boxes" came up with this solution:https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Managem...management+box

This is how sleek the tv, soundbar and stand looks like from the front and the next pic is my snake issue. the box arrives sat. Or I might even order a 2nd box. At 16.5 inches I know this one is going to be tight because the surge protector strip is 15.5 inches with 7 plugs sticking into it. I might need a 2nd box just for this strip.

** anyone know of a bigger black cable box available somewhere? **
The sanus stand upright will store some cable excess inside the upright and I can wire tie in circles some of the excess in the box.

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Managem...management+box

the 2nd pic is what I'm currently dealing with from the back.
Lol. Shorten the cables and you may be able to manage these cables a lot better. Tie all the cables together with velcro ties and take your time and I'm sure you can manage this without any boxes. I have a total of 12 items plugged into my entertainment center and everything is organized the tied together so it doesn't create a huge mess.

Good gravy my friend, that is a hot mess. I've used black zip ties in the past myself. I'm hoping that the One Connect helps reduce the clutter of too many cables myself. Yep, I finally made the decision that the I'm going to give the KS8000 a shot over the P65. It definitely wasn't easy, but I appreciate those who let me pick their brains on the Samsungs. Now I just need to find it on sale.
Expidia likes this.

Official Samsung KS8000/8500 Owners Information PDF
Living Room: LG 55LE5500 Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360 w/Kinect
Bedroom: VIZIO E470VL VIZIO VSB200 Sound Bar Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360
Inner Sanctum: Samsung 65KS8000, Halo XBox One, GoW Xbox 360, Onkyo HT-S5300
post #2899 of 36870 Old 07-09-2016, 05:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Just my opinion but . . .
I never got why so many people like movie mode? I find its usually always darker and tinted yellowish green.

I know posters here are all about chasing the HDR movies (which are few and far between for now anyway) to see what the tv is capable of.
The dynamic mode is of course way to bright for many selections, but nice to demo and wow certain content like netflix 4k oceans.

I find the standard mode on this new KS series tv very good without even having to tweak it.

And I always calibrate my TV's settings with a DVD essentials disk. Still, I find I myself resetting the pics back to default as the newer tvs seem to have a pretty good handle on decent pic settings from the get go.

I've owned flat screens for maybe 15 years and never got the movie mode setting and now they are forcing us to only see HDR by using movie mode. The HDR+ setting is a nice addiction. Yes, I know its not real, but neither are "boob jobs" and I get along fine looking at "those" knowing they are not real!

I don't get the HDR hoopla just yet either, probably due to so little content out there or them remastering so many old movies to HDR.

So far, I would not be buying a tv based on a selection like a marco polo in HDR mode.
So much of Marco Polo (an HDR selection) looks like it was filmed in a studios dark basement.
silekonn and Larry Rosenberg like this.

UNK65KS8500 (curved model)
HW-K950 Samsung Atmos soundbar-with rears
HW-J8500 Samsung Soundbar (sold 10-24-16)
Sanus universal soundbar speaker mount SA405B1
Samsung 4K Ultra HD Bluray player UBDK8500
Harmony 650 remote ($43 amazon)

Last edited by Expidia; 07-09-2016 at 05:57 AM.
post #2900 of 36870 Old 07-09-2016, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Dolby Digital sound with YouTube / Amazon Prime apps

Yesterday I tried to test if 5.1 Dolby Digital output works with the YouTube and Amazon Prime apps.

I could not get 5.1 to work with the YouTube app. My AVR is connected through optical out (but I would assume this makes no difference when compared to ARC?).
I chose Dolby Digital as format in the audio menu. Switching to PCM made no difference. I tried various Dolby Digital test videos but got no sound from the rear surrounds.

With the Amazon Prime app, there seems to be no way to find out what film or series has Dolby Digital sound. Apparently there is also no 5.1 test film provided by Amazon.
I had the impression that I heard something from the surrounds with certain titles. What is a good film to test 5.1 sound on Amazon Prime?
And what are your impressions? Does the Netflix app work with Dolby Digital?
post #2901 of 36870 Old 07-09-2016, 06:12 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Question about the smart hub "not loading." I sometimes find that shortly after turning the set on if I hit home on the remote nothing happens. After a few hits of home and a few seconds it loads. Is this the issue being reported or am I looking at a different issue?
post #2902 of 36870 Old 07-09-2016, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
This happens to me but only with certain tv shows on certain channels. The same shows on demand or via steaming do not skip. there is no way to resolve it. It's something with the cable company or local affiliate and the way this TV handles motion.
post #2903 of 36870 Old 07-09-2016, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman123 View Post
Question about the smart hub "not loading." I sometimes find that shortly after turning the set on if I hit home on the remote nothing happens. After a few hits of home and a few seconds it loads. Is this the issue being reported or am I looking at a different issue?
I had the same problem. It seems that it was corrected with the latest firmware. If your on the latest firmware, I would unplug the TV and see if it corrects the problem.
post #2904 of 36870 Old 07-09-2016, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman123 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoundBaby View Post
I had the same problem. It seems that it was corrected with the latest firmware. If your on the latest firmware, I would unplug the TV and see if it corrects the problem.
Issue has been present for a couple of firmware releases and still present even after 1114 (mine came back after a reset). As mentioned, yanking the power cord for a few minutes seems to resolve the problem for some, while a complete reset will fix the issue but you'll have to re-setup everything again.

Samsung UN65KS8000F
Pioneer BDP-51FD
Yamaha Aventage RX-A2050
Xfinity X1
Playstation 4 Pro
post #2905 of 36870 Old 07-09-2016, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxFuturexX View Post
Did you plug in the setting from rtings.com? That seems to be the starting point for most users. I just set mine up today too. Did those tweaks and it was a big improvement, try your settings with HDR+ on and off to compare - you might like it depending on content.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sam...s8000/settings
I did, except for the multi screens down at the bottom for color adjustment. I want to input that info but can't find the screens at all. I'll look again this morning. I was pretty exhausted last night.

Also, does anyone know how to get rid of artifacts? Around borders especially, nothing is very sharp. I'll try to snag a pic for us.
post #2906 of 36870 Old 07-09-2016, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Here is a picture. As you can see the red gets very blurry on the edges and isn't sharp at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1468077050779-578210769_1468077070427.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	1536713  
post #2907 of 36870 Old 07-09-2016, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Question One leg of his KS8000 won't stay in

My neighbor across the street purchased a new KS8000 from a video store. I watched him open the box. The set is heavier than expected. The diagram of how to insert those two stands could be better. There is no screw, no latch. One leg went in fine and stayed. The other one went in too easy and kept falling out. There was no friction inside. Every time we picked up the set, this one stand would fall out.

What to do ? Wrap tape around the metal blade before inserting ? Tape the stand to the chassis ? Return the set before 30 days? Call the TV repairman?
post #2908 of 36870 Old 07-09-2016, 09:43 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
I never got why so many people like movie mode? I find its usually always darker and tinted yellowish green.

I know posters here are all about chasing the HDR movies (which are few and far between for now anyway) to see what the tv is capable of.
The dynamic mode is of course way to bright for many selections, but nice to demo and wow certain content like netflix 4k oceans.

I find the standard mode on this new KS series tv very good without even having to tweak it.

And I always calibrate my TV's settings with a DVD essentials disk. Still, I find I myself resetting the pics back to default as the newer tvs seem to have a pretty good handle on decent pic settings from the get go.

I've owned flat screens for maybe 15 years and never got the movie mode setting and now they are forcing us to only see HDR by using movie mode. The HDR+ setting is a nice addiction. Yes, I know its not real, but neither are "boob jobs" and I get along fine looking at "those" knowing they are not real!

I don't get the HDR hoopla just yet either, probably due to so little content out there or them remastering so many old movies to HDR.

So far, I would not be buying a tv based on a selection like a marco polo in HDR mode.
So much of Marco Polo (an HDR selection) looks like it was filmed in a studios dark basement.

Well having once sold televisions for a few years as well as having some film school under my belt, I can tell you that is because it provides a more natural feel. It is similar to how some movies are still shot on film over digital. While the tone is overall yellowish, the colors are more real. It isn't for everyone though because I cannot tell you how many times I have been asked the purpose of plasmas or darker colored screans when you have the option to use vivid or dynamic. lol

Now with the HDR aspect of things, I just believe it is a way to allow the best of both. The colors will be more natural and real, yet the overall picture will be bright and vivid.
Expidia likes this.

Vizio P65-F1 - Vizio P55-C1 - Xbox One X - Playstation 4 Pro
post #2909 of 36870 Old 07-09-2016, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just had my KS8000 delivered yesterday. I've been up all night trying to work a few bugs out with it so forgive me if I'm asking about something that's been answered. It's just with return policies being what they are I've got a day or so to work this out or return it.

The picture is just fine, and I'm sure I can tweak it further given time.

First problem: The smart hub took over my cable DVR (Charter) and like many of you, I'm using my Charter control for the most part. However, I have a 1TB hard drive (75% full) connected to it and when I click on the links for my recorded programs I get a message saying my external drive is not connected (it is connected to the DVR). If I click "Help", it shows me the serial number of the Drive and says I can delete all the recordings (but it doesn't say it will be usuable on the DVR after that). I'd hate to lose my recordings but I'm open to it if I can get a workable end result. Would the drive have to be attached to the Smart Hub (It's an e-sata connection).

Second problem; The speakers work and that's fine, but not what I'm used to. Until the set-up, I had the optical cable set-up to my receiver via my DVR (the optical connect on my previous display stopped working years ago). I had a standard stereo set-up (its an older receiver but works just fine) for my ROKU and the antenna. So now the Smart Hub leaves me with one option to use my receiver: the optical. However, at this point my optical isn't working. I plugged one end into the side of the smart hub, and the other into the receiver. I've set the sound for optical on the display. Nothing (and it was working just fine minutes before the set-up. I tried another optical cord and the same result. Is there a special Optical connector I need (these are a couple years old)? My set-up is still great for blu-rays (though if I upgrade I'll have to buy a new receiver. So.. is there a simple solution to my audio problem, -something I'm missing? Can this display be hooked up to a receiver (that's not some special Samsung receiver with exclusive connections that's going to cost me an arm and a leg.

I'm beginning to wonder if I'm in over my head.
post #2910 of 36870 Old 07-09-2016, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:

Well that makes two of us now!
Expidia likes this.

-----
2016 Samsung UN65KS9800, UN55KS8500, UN49KS8000
2016 Samsung K8500 UHD BD Player x 2
2016 Samsung HW-K550/SWA-8000S 5.1
2016 Pioneer SC-LX701- AudioSource AMP100VS Atmos/DTS:X 7.1.4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
denon s740h , extra , hdmi input , KS8000/KS8500 , no picture , one connect fail , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page