AVS Forum banner

Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread

6M views 38K replies 3K participants last post by  Robert Simandl 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
READ BELOW BEFORE POSTING

MODERATOR'S NOTE: This thread is exclusively for current owners of the listed sets. It is not a comparison thread. It is not a "Help Me Choose"" thread except, perhaps between listed models. It is not a place for owners of other sets to come in and bash this set, even if you also own this set. OWNERS ONLY and discussions of the listed sets ONLY. If you do not own the listed set(s), it's highly advised you DO NOT POST in this thread.

Many of these same owners are subscribed to the help-me-choose threads and regularly check the section's front page and will happily field non-owner questions there. They've kindly asked for a place where they can discuss things between themselves. So, please respect their wishes.

The attached Guide contains a collection of information based upon thousands of posts in this forum. Use this to help you with your questions BEFORE you post here. It's likely that your question has been answered. If not, or if you need clarification, please post as we welcome the discussion and the opportunity to provide you with guidance.

Features of the Guide:
- Organized into six sections: Potential Owner, Initial Setup, General Usage, Troubleshooting, Advanced Topics, and Glossary
- Clickable links to the forum itself, external websites with relevant information, posts within the forum, and common forum searches within each section
- FAQs within each section

We also welcome any suggestions to improve the Guide.

If your question isn't answered in the guide, try the "SEARCH THIS THREAD" box above. Better to get your answers quickly rather than creating a post and wondering why nobody's responding to it.

Attachments

See less See more
#33,525 ·
is it whole new set of settings or does it just change backlight?
The HDR GAME MODE patch enables behavior that the TVs should've had from the beginning: it allows you to define independent picture settings for SDR content and for HDR content while in Game Mode, and for those settings to be automatically activated when each type of signal is received during game play.

#33,527 ·
The firmware is being distributed OTN globally, and it may take several weeks for all pertinent markets to receive it.
Can't thank you enough for keeping us in the loop Rudy. It's been a long wait, and I know some folks at times raked you under the coals a bit, but thank you for staying diligent and continuing to do your best to help everyone out.

Very excited to load this update onto my KS8000 tonight!

#33,529 ·
#33,531 ·
I'm sitting here as my TV is updating via USB still in total disbelief. A year and 5 months after I purchased this TV, I will finally be able to stop juggling settings each time I switch a game. No more keeping my TV remote on my lap and worrying whether or not a game I've been playing was auto-patched to include HDR rendering. No more constantly hitting the Info button over and over. Oh my goodness. It is a good day.

Thank you so much, Rudy1, for all of your work in contacting engineers and fighting for users. It's really greatly appreciated!

#33,532 ·
If it really fixed the HDR Game Mode issue then send me your address, so I can order a 6-pack of beer for you :)
I won't speak for Rudy on the 6 pack, but I do believe there are a few members here that owe him a huge apology!

The HDR GAME MODE patch enables behavior that the TVs should've had from the beginning: it allows you to define independent picture settings for SDR content and for HDR content while in Game Mode, and for those settings to be automatically activated when each type of signal is received during game play.
Thank you again, Rudy for speaking for us and helping to get this release possible.

#33,536 ·
I never used game mode as I was never really sensitive to input lag. Does the picture quality take a hit compared to movie mode?
If you properly calibrate it like any other mode, then there's not much difference unless you are using some of the lag-inducing features from other modes like Auto Motion Plus, etc.which I don't use anyway. Of course, this is just my opinion, and I've read others that say that game mode looks terrible, but I've never seen a good explanation of what looks so terrible about it. Some of those people probably didn't know you have to recalibrate the picture again for GM just like any other mode, the settings are saved completely separate, and now we have HDR settings for that mode too which will also need to be adjusted again.