AVS Forum banner

Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread

6M views 38K replies 3K participants last post by  Robert Simandl 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
READ BELOW BEFORE POSTING

MODERATOR'S NOTE: This thread is exclusively for current owners of the listed sets. It is not a comparison thread. It is not a "Help Me Choose"" thread except, perhaps between listed models. It is not a place for owners of other sets to come in and bash this set, even if you also own this set. OWNERS ONLY and discussions of the listed sets ONLY. If you do not own the listed set(s), it's highly advised you DO NOT POST in this thread.

Many of these same owners are subscribed to the help-me-choose threads and regularly check the section's front page and will happily field non-owner questions there. They've kindly asked for a place where they can discuss things between themselves. So, please respect their wishes.

The attached Guide contains a collection of information based upon thousands of posts in this forum. Use this to help you with your questions BEFORE you post here. It's likely that your question has been answered. If not, or if you need clarification, please post as we welcome the discussion and the opportunity to provide you with guidance.

Features of the Guide:
- Organized into six sections: Potential Owner, Initial Setup, General Usage, Troubleshooting, Advanced Topics, and Glossary
- Clickable links to the forum itself, external websites with relevant information, posts within the forum, and common forum searches within each section
- FAQs within each section

We also welcome any suggestions to improve the Guide.

If your question isn't answered in the guide, try the "SEARCH THIS THREAD" box above. Better to get your answers quickly rather than creating a post and wondering why nobody's responding to it.

Attachments

See less See more
#33,641 ·
So you mean even if I use ARC HDMI with my Sony CT790 soundbar and set it to PCM it won't deliver 5.1 or 7.1 virtual sound but only 2 channels? That's quite strange I have to say because my PS4 Pro reminds me everytime I go to Sound Settings that my soundbar is capable of delivering 7.1 sound.
By spec, ARC is only capable of supporting the same formats as other SPDIF outputs (Optical and Coax). This means compressed 5.1 bitstreams (Dolby Digital and DTS) and uncompressed PCM 2.0 (Stereo). Your receiver may take this output and virtually spread it out to 7.1 speakers similar to how older receivers took stereo and used Dolby Pro-Logic to create 4 and 5 channel sound from it.

The new HDMI 2.1 standard includes eARC, which will support a variety of true 7.1 sound formats as well as Atmos and DTS:X.

#33,642 ·
IF you are like me and you run everything through a receiver before you send it to the TV in order to take advantage of all the higher-quality sound available in modern games and movies, it's easier to just leave it on limited. Why? Because in that scenario you just leave the TV on the same input all the time, and the same preferred picture settings. In addition to my modern consoles, I also run a cable box, and older consoles that do not support full RGB. So if I used full RGB with some devices, I'd have to go in and fiddle with the Black Level setting all the time when I switched, for basically no appreciable gain.
Does this mean when using devices like the SNES Classic, the proper setting on the KS8000 is always "Limited," because there is no equivalent setting on said device?

#33,644 ·
Stoked to hear that the HDR/Game Mode thing finally got resolved! Any word on whether or not this included a fix for the color separation bug on the PS4?
Several others and myself have had no issue with the colour separation since this patch. It didn't happen often to me so it might be too early to tell, but I've had a good 10hours of gaming since the patch and all good :)

#33,645 ·
Changing the resolution on YouTube

im pretty sure you could change from the tvs built in youtube app a few days ago but now you cant change it
It was only recently (a few weeks) added to the [fullscreen website launched by the] internal app (well, is for me!) - but sometimes features are added and removed at very short notice. FWIW I can see it today, and in "Settings / App version" it says ea86ea7b . If I go to the same website (https://www.youtube.com/tv) on Chrome on my PC, it's clearly a much older version, the Quality setting in "options" during playback is not there, and it says 23d8c2fc in "App version".

#33,648 ·
Several others and myself have had no issue with the colour separation since this patch. It didn't happen often to me so it might be too early to tell, but I've had a good 10hours of gaming since the patch and all good :)
Would love if you could report back in like a weeks time and let us know if all is well with the color separation. Im still running 1154 but would love to update to this firmware...just being very cautious about doing so. Im relatively content with how my set is now other than the infrequent color separation.

#33,651 · (Edited)
HI folks. I have a UN55KS8500 and have no major problems with it, but I have noticed lately that there are a few very vague, fairly narrow, vertical shadows fading from the bottom upward to about a third of the way up the screen. Only really noticeable when the picture is very flat and bright like a blue sky. I am sure there are a few dead leds in the backlight strip. At one point, looking from very near the bottom edge of the screen, I could actually see one flickering on and off. I can't find anything with the thread search (which doesn't work worth a damn on Android). Anyone recall seeing this mentioned in this huge thread? Also, can parts, and a service manual be ordered? I'm sure I could replace the strip, but would not want to dig into it without the manual.

Regards,
Gord

#33,652 ·
Would love if you could report back in like a weeks time and let us know if all is well with the color separation. Im still running 1154 but would love to update to this firmware...just being very cautious about doing so. Im relatively content with how my set is now other than the infrequent color separation.
I'm an avid gamer (multiple hours per day), and so far i havn't encountered the color separation issue with the new firmware update. I'll report back as soon as i see the issue again, or in a couple of weeks if i don't see the issue anymore. But so far so good. Keep fingers crossed!

Apparently not. Setting it to limited crushed blacks on the SNES classic. There is certainly no setting for the console.

Weird
As far as black level goes for game consoles i did some tests and these are my results.

Nintendo Switch: Set your Switch to Full RGB Range and your TV HDMI black level to Normal.
PS4 Pro: Set your PS4 Pro to Full RGB Range and your TV HDMI black level to Normal

Note: At first i thought it's better to leave the PS4 to limited since i also use the PS4 Pro to watch blu-rays. And film content must always be viewed with Limited RGB range (called Low HDMI black level on the TV). But after doing multiple tests i can confirm that my PS4 Pro auto corrects to limited RGB when you start a blu ray movie. The TV HDMI black level options is greyed out as soon as you start the blu ray and will still say Normal but that's not true. There are no crushed blacks and the image looks identical as compared to the same content with RGB range set to limited and HDMI black level to Low.

I tested this with the blu ray movie 'Elysium' by Neill Blomkamp. And by the way, i'm not sure if it's the placebo effect taking place but the picture quality of the blu ray looks amazing and seems much better then before the firmware update! We started to watch this movie last week before the update, but havn't finished it yet. So when i started doing the black level test with this same movie i immediately noticed the difference. Since it has only been a couple of days since i watched this movie, the picture quality before the update is still fresh in my memory.

The only difference is that now i played the movie in Game Mode on my PS4 instead of Standard mode. But i used the exact same settings for all availlable options.

#33,653 ·
Color Separation and Blackouts Still Not Fixed

I guess I got a little too excited with this new 1220 firmware! :(

Last night, all the issues came back in full force. Color separation, white flashes and blackouts still haven't been fixed, and I had the damn thing happen 3-5 times in one session just yesterday. While the HDR auto-switching fix is nice, this TV is still utterly useless with so many issues happening each time I game, and I'm ready to let it go.

It's been great sharing horror stories with everyone in this forum, but I'm officially done with Samsung and ready to move on. I wish everyone best of luck, and I hope to see some of you over in the Sony forums in the near future! ;)

#33,654 ·
Hi!

Have been honestly been a lurker here for quite sometime, just waiting for updates. Just wanted to say thanks to Rudy and everyone else that have been constantly updating us for the past 2 years especially with the game mode HDR issue haha. Really glad the latest firmware finally fixed it for all of us owners :)

One question though, I live in the Asia pacific Region (T-JZMUABC TV's) and I see that we still have 1208.2 (released on 2017.11.28) as the latest firmware. Do you guys have any idea how long does it take for the latest update to reach the Asia Pacific/T-JZMUABC sites? I'm really sorry if there have been posts regarding this already (I am trying to find definite answers but we're already at 1122 pages haha)

Thank you again and cheers!! :D

#33,655 ·

Last night, all the issues came back in full force. Color separation, white flashes and blackouts still haven't been fixed, and I had the damn thing happen 3-5 times in one session just yesterday. While the HDR auto-switching fix is nice, this TV is still utterly useless with so many issues happening each time I game, and I'm ready to let it go.

It's been great sharing horror stories with everyone in this forum, but I'm officially done with Samsung and ready to move on. I wish everyone best of luck, and I hope to see some of you over in the Sony forums in the near future! ;)
I'm not sure how this can be a firmware issue, to me it sounds like it must be a faulty set - I've not had any colour separation, flashes or blackouts and I've been using the PS4 through multiple firmwares since day 1 on this set.

#33,658 ·
accidentally had ps4 pro on in other source while playing xbox one x

so basically I forgot that my ps4 pro was on (not on sleep mode, the pro was in the dashboard) and I turned on my xbox one x and played for like 2 hours before I realized and turned off the ps4 pro. Could that damage the tv if both consoles are on in seperate hdmi outputs at the same time?

#33,659 ·
so basically I forgot that my ps4 pro was on (not on sleep mode, the pro was in the dashboard) and I turned on my xbox one x and played for like 2 hours before I realized and turned off the ps4 pro. Could that damage the tv if both consoles are on in seperate hdmi outputs at the same time?
no... you should be fine. think of how your cable box is always on even when you are not on that input.

#33,660 · (Edited)

This might sound stupid, but try unpluging your tv from the power outlet for a couple of minutes. Then retry again. I don't know why but usually this fixes errors that should be gone after a firmware update.

Faulty set or a faulty ps4
I too had this happen to me in the past. It's definitly an firmware issue. It only happens in game mode on Samsung TV's and is quite widespread problem. Not just the KS8000. Just google 'Samsung Color Separation' and you will find enough info on the subject. But so far it hasn't happend yet since the new firmware update.

*******UPDATE********

A few posts back i talked about how i noticed the blu ray Elysium having better pictue quality since the firmware update. I've just checked some HDR movies and i get the impression that the maximum backlight intensity has been seriously increased for HDR content. It's much brighter, and the good thing is that the blacks still look perfectly black.

For reference, before the update i used to activate LED Clear Motion while watching HDR so i get less blooming with subtitles enabled. As you know LED Clear Motion darkens the image because it inserts black frames after each frame. Then the image was so dark that i had to counter this by putting dynamic contrast on Low so i can clearly see what's happening on screen. But now with LED Clear motion activated and Dynamic contrast Off, the image seems to look just as bright as HDR content looked before the update, without Led Clear Motion activated!

I just watched a bit of Passengers and Avatar in HDR (without LED Clear Motion and Dynamic Contrast activated). In passengers everything seems much brighter/detailed and more defined. So is Avatar, and when they set the forrest on fire in the big battle at the end, the brightness of the flames almost hurt my eyes. And this is at daytime (2:30 PM) in a bright sunlit room with the curtains open. I don't think the brightness was ever this intense for HDR content before the firmware update.

Anyone else noticed this?