AVS Forum banner

Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread

6M views 38K replies 3K participants last post by  Robert Simandl 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
READ BELOW BEFORE POSTING

MODERATOR'S NOTE: This thread is exclusively for current owners of the listed sets. It is not a comparison thread. It is not a "Help Me Choose"" thread except, perhaps between listed models. It is not a place for owners of other sets to come in and bash this set, even if you also own this set. OWNERS ONLY and discussions of the listed sets ONLY. If you do not own the listed set(s), it's highly advised you DO NOT POST in this thread.

Many of these same owners are subscribed to the help-me-choose threads and regularly check the section's front page and will happily field non-owner questions there. They've kindly asked for a place where they can discuss things between themselves. So, please respect their wishes.

The attached Guide contains a collection of information based upon thousands of posts in this forum. Use this to help you with your questions BEFORE you post here. It's likely that your question has been answered. If not, or if you need clarification, please post as we welcome the discussion and the opportunity to provide you with guidance.

Features of the Guide:
- Organized into six sections: Potential Owner, Initial Setup, General Usage, Troubleshooting, Advanced Topics, and Glossary
- Clickable links to the forum itself, external websites with relevant information, posts within the forum, and common forum searches within each section
- FAQs within each section

We also welcome any suggestions to improve the Guide.

If your question isn't answered in the guide, try the "SEARCH THIS THREAD" box above. Better to get your answers quickly rather than creating a post and wondering why nobody's responding to it.

Attachments

See less See more
#34,443 ·
I have been having issues with prime video app. It just goes into black screen after it says loading
Do an app close. When screen is black after loading, hold the Back key on the remote until you are returned to the SmartHub. Then try again.

If that doesn't work, do soft reset: hold remote power button on remote until TV turns off then on again and show logo. Then try again.

If that doesn't work, reinstall the app.

Sent from my Samsung S8+ using Tapatalk

#34,444 ·
Do an app close. When screen is black after loading, hold the Back key on the remote until you are returned to the SmartHub. Then try again.

If that doesn't work, do soft reset: hold remote power button on remote until TV turns off then on again and show logo. Then try again.

If that doesn't work, reinstall the app.

Sent from my Samsung S8+ using Tapatalk
Yes looks like for the first time since I bought the TV in 2016 I had to shut it down for a min and it was all good. All my apps were just either stuck at loading followed by black screen or not launching at all. Thanks

#34,445 ·
Been awhile since i've checked in.

Has there ever been a workaround for getting 120hz at 1080p via HDMI?

I know the panel is 120 but we were limited to 60 over HDMI.
Any new way around this?
No. The passage of time won't ever change the answer. Many LCD panels have been natively 120Hz for many many years. That doesn't magically make a 2016 TV which has one magically able to display 120 different images per second, though! That's a completely different thing.

You would need HDMI 2.1 (which doesn't even exist yet) for the TV to accept 120Hz content over HDMI. That's completely different hardware. There'll never be a "workaround".

This year's - 2018 not 2016 - LG OLEDs can actually display 120Hz and 100Hz (which are the two rates the panel actually runs at), but again not for HDMI sources. And there aren't any such sources. I have one single High Frame Rate test clip. It works, but it's not real content from a broadcaster or a game. :)

#34,446 ·
Hey guys had a question, it's been awhile.....I read somewhere that Samsung was releasing an update for the 2017 Samsung Blu Ray players for the hdr 10+....I believe mine is a 2016 model, I bought it at the same time as the ks8500... I've noticed alot of the 4uhd discs are now saying enhanced with DV or HDR 10+.....From what I've read this TV doesn't do the HDR 10+ period correct?

#34,447 ·
HDR10+ ARTICLE FROM HDGURU.COM

https://hdguru.com/hdr10-looks-for-greater-availability-in-content-hardware/

“The growth rate of 4K Ultra HDTV sets year over year is geometric. Each year it’s more and more,” said Mandel. “This year we’ve said we are committed to upgrading the 2017 TVs to this protocol. We are already running the Amazon protocol. So the 2017 and 2018 Samsung 4K TV models are already compatible with Amazon HDR10+, and we just started adding the VSIF mechanism to those.”

#34,448 · (Edited)
HDR10+ ARTICLE FROM HDGURU.COM

https://hdguru.com/hdr10-looks-for-greater-availability-in-content-hardware/

“The growth rate of 4K Ultra HDTV sets year over year is geometric. Each year it’s more and more,” said Mandel. “This year we’ve said we are committed to upgrading the 2017 TVs to this protocol. We are already running the Amazon protocol. So the 2017 and 2018 Samsung 4K TV models are already compatible with Amazon HDR10+, and we just started adding the VSIF mechanism to those.”
Interesting and thanks @Rudy1.

It's good to see a more explicit confession from him that there's more than one version of HDR10+.
  • The "Amazon protocol"
  • The "VSIF mechanism"

It's a shame he's repeated the preposterous claim (yet again) that Amazon are streaming HDR10+, because we know that no Samsung 2017 or 2018 owner has ever seen the HDR10+ logo appear in the interface and there is zero proof whatsoever that they are seeing HDR10+ on their TVs. But that is sadly par for the course now with the vapourware that is the HDR10+ format; they just can't stop themselves.

Definition of "Stupid": Knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the lies.
^^^ your sig is very apt to Samsung's statements about HDR10+ on Amazon! I've definitely stopped believing their lies now. I'd want proof in the form of a pop-up appearing in the TV, or Info banner on the TV, stating very clearly "THIS CONTENT IS HDR10+". Nothing short of this will do it now, they've lied for too long.

#34,449 ·
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2017 (might be 2016) Samsung ks8000 65 inch tv. We like it but have an issue playing movies off a usb stick. We never had an issue before but now when we try and watch a show or movie we downloaded the movie will play fine for about 6 to 10 minutes then disconnect. I go back in and start it again and it starts from where it stopped but after 6 to 10 minutes it stops again. Frustrating. I've formatted the stick to EXFat and have tried NTSF and the difault Fat32 but no luck. As I said it did work but now it isn't. We have renovations going on so the TV has been plugged and unplugged from the power several times. If anyone has had this issue and knows how to fix any help would be appreciated.

#34,450 ·
Whats up guys! Haven't checked in for a while, I checked on updates yesterday and I was running 1207, 1220 was available, installed and all is well! Not quite sure what it added but I do know if I don't update every now and then my smart hub will start crapping out.

Any amazing things come out and pass me by? Summer is very busy for me and I don't get alot of online time to keep up with things I like to pay attention to.

#34,451 ·
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2017 (might be 2016) Samsung ks8000 65 inch tv. We like it but have an issue playing movies off a usb stick. We never had an issue before but now when we try and watch a show or movie we downloaded the movie will play fine for about 6 to 10 minutes then disconnect. I go back in and start it again and it starts from where it stopped but after 6 to 10 minutes it stops again. Frustrating. I've formatted the stick to EXFat and have tried NTSF and the difault Fat32 but no luck. As I said it did work but now it isn't. We have renovations going on so the TV has been plugged and unplugged from the power several times. If anyone has had this issue and knows how to fix any help would be appreciated.
Perhaps a FW update changed something? Or mabye you need to update? Just a thought.

#34,452 · (Edited)
Looking for some suggestion on what the issue is with my KS7500. Last week I noticed like yellow banding on the far left and today it has developed on the right you should be able to make it out in the pic I posted, The banding on the right some times goes away for a split second. It does not go right up the screen mainly 4 inches from the bottom, Turning back light right up can make the right side banding go away but it then flashes back. Any help appreciated.

Attachments

#34,453 ·
Whats up guys! Haven't checked in for a while, I checked on updates yesterday and I was running 1207, 1220 was available, installed and all is well! Not quite sure what it added but I do know if I don't update every now and then my smart hub will start crapping out.

Any amazing things come out and pass me by? Summer is very busy for me and I don't get alot of online time to keep up with things I like to pay attention to.
The big news for 1220 was the Game Mode HDR Patch. Before this patch, you had to manually adjust backlight settings when your console switched between SDR and HDR. Now it stores both profiles, which is a godsend to a whole lot of us.

#34,454 ·
The big news for 1220 was the Game Mode HDR Patch. Before this patch, you had to manually adjust backlight settings when your console switched between SDR and HDR. Now it stores both profiles, which is a godsend to a whole lot of us.
yep, literally the reason i still have the TV. Would be far gone by now if i was still waiting for this

#34,455 ·
Hey, I'm wondering if anyone has done any visual quality tests between the same settings for game mode on vs off after the 1220 update. For example, if game mode on looks basically the same as the standard/movie picture settings, then I might as well just leave game mode on.

Oddly, when I contacted Samsung about this issue over live chat, they said that if game mode is on while watching movies/tv shows, you may perceive audio/video sync issues which I assume is due to the picture being faster than the audio.

I might try doing some tests on my nvidia shield later tonight, to see if I notice anything myself.

#34,456 ·
Anyone have some settings that they can share for SDR and HDR for the 1220 firmware?

Thanks!
Did you find any settings after?

I just reset the TV and can’t find the settings I used previously as I remember messing about with HDR+ for a while then went back so I got settings everywhere but don’t know which is which lol.

Anyone with up to date settings for both SDR and HDR? (Sky HD, PS4, Netflix etc)

Also, anyone here use a Nintendo Switch? It’s the only device my TV won’t ‘auto detect’ to give a label.

Thanks

#34,457 ·
No. The passage of time won't ever change the answer. Many LCD panels have been natively 120Hz for many many years. That doesn't magically make a 2016 TV which has one magically able to display 120 different images per second, though! That's a completely different thing.

You would need HDMI 2.1 (which doesn't even exist yet) for the TV to accept 120Hz content over HDMI. That's completely different hardware. There'll never be a "workaround".

This year's - 2018 not 2016 - LG OLEDs can actually display 120Hz and 100Hz (which are the two rates the panel actually runs at), but again not for HDMI sources. And there aren't any such sources. I have one single High Frame Rate test clip. It works, but it's not real content from a broadcaster or a game. :)
Thanks for the response! While its true 120hz at 4k isnt possible yet. 120hz at 1080p has been possible since HDMI 1.3 and HDMI 2.0 supports 1440p at 144hz, even 240hz although at 4:2:0. There are PC monitors that support it but I get that this is a TV. Even some monitors that are technically capable spec wise they force the need for a DL-DVI or DisplayPort connection.

Just sucks since the panel is 120hz and the physical HDMI ports in use are capable of it but there still must be something in the chain limiting it.

#34,458 · (Edited)
Did you find any settings after?

I just reset the TV and can’t find the settings I used previously as I remember messing about with HDR+ for a while then went back so I got settings everywhere but don’t know which is which lol.

Anyone with up to date settings for both SDR and HDR? (Sky HD, PS4, Netflix etc)

Also, anyone here use a Nintendo Switch? It’s the only device my TV won’t ‘auto detect’ to give a label.

Thanks

Just finished searching and re-entering all my settings since i'm still undergoing the repair process and all my settings were erased...
My screen works fine after an replacement but the back cover doesn't close correctly. Tomorrow an engineer will come for the 4th time to try and fix it.

Anyway, here are the settings i use. These are a combination off the information i gathered on this forum and my Spears & Munsil calibration Blu Ray Disc.

SDR
Backlight Movie & Game 6 (12 when using LED Clear Motion ) / Standard 7 (14 when using LED Clear Motion )
Brightness 45
Contrast 94
Sharpness 20
Color 49
Tint (G/R) 50/50
Clean Digital View off
Auto Motion Plus off
Smart LED low
Dynamic Contrast off
Color temp Warm2
White balance All at 0
Gamma -1
Color space Auto

HDR
Backlight 20
Brightness 45
Contrast 100
Sharpness 0
Color 50
Tint (G/R) 50/50
Clean Digital View off
Auto Motion Plus off
Smart LED High
Dynamic Contrast off
Color temp Warm2
White balance All at 0
Gamma 0
Color space Auto

SDR with HDR+
Backlight 10
Brightness 45
Contrast 100
Sharpness 20
Color 49
Tint (G/R) 50/50
Clean Digital View off
Auto Motion Plus off
Smart LED low
Dynamic Contrast off
Color temp Warm2
White balance 2-point
R-offset -41
G-offset -43
B-offset -50
R-gain 50
G-gain 38
B-gain 34
Gamma 0
Color temp Custom (or Native)
Red 41, 6, 0
Green 6, 59, 0
Blue 0, 4, 55
Yellow 58, 58, 0
Cyan 6, 49, 52
Magenta 36, 8, 42

HDR with HDR+
Backlight 20
Brightness 45
Contrast 100
Sharpness 20
Color 49
Tint (G/R) 50/50
Clean Digital View off
Auto Motion Plus off
Smart LED High
Dynamic Contrast off
Color temp Warm2
White balance 2-point
R-offset -41
G-offset -43
B-offset -50
R-gain 50
G-gain 38
B-gain 34
Gamma 0
Red 41, 6, 0
Green 6, 59, 0
Blue 0, 4, 55
Yellow 58, 58, 0
Cyan 6, 49, 52
Magenta 36, 8, 42

#34,459 ·
Just finished searching and re-entering all my settings since i'm still undergoing the repair process and all my settings were erased...
My screen works fine after an replacement but the back cover doesn't close correctly. Tomorrow an engineer will come for the 4th time to try and fix it.

Anyway, here are the settings i use. These are a combination off the information i gathered on this forum and my Spears & Munsil calibration Blu Ray Disc.

SDR
Backlight Movie & Game 6 (12 when using LED Clear Motion ) / Standard 7 (14 when using LED Clear Motion )
Brightness 45
Contrast 94
Sharpness 20
Color 49
Tint (G/R) 50/50
Clean Digital View off
Auto Motion Plus off
Smart LED low
Dynamic Contrast off
Color temp Warm2
White balance All at 0
Gamma -1
Color space Auto

HDR
Backlight 20
Brightness 45
Contrast 100
Sharpness 0
Color 50
Tint (G/R) 50/50
Clean Digital View off
Auto Motion Plus off
Smart LED High
Dynamic Contrast off
Color temp Warm2
White balance All at 0
Gamma 0
Color space Auto

SDR with HDR+
Backlight 10
Brightness 45
Contrast 100
Sharpness 20
Color 49
Tint (G/R) 50/50
Clean Digital View off
Auto Motion Plus off
Smart LED low
Dynamic Contrast off
Color temp Warm2
White balance 2-point
R-offset -41
G-offset -43
B-offset -50
R-gain 50
G-gain 38
B-gain 34
Gamma 0
Red 41, 6, 0
Green 6, 59, 0
Blue 0, 4, 55
Yellow 58, 58, 0
Cyan 6, 49, 52
Magenta 36, 8, 42

HDR with HDR+
Backlight 20
Brightness 45
Contrast 100
Sharpness 20
Color 49
Tint (G/R) 50/50
Clean Digital View off
Auto Motion Plus off
Smart LED High
Dynamic Contrast off
Color temp Warm2
White balance 2-point
R-offset -41
G-offset -43
B-offset -50
R-gain 50
G-gain 38
B-gain 34
Gamma 0
Red 41, 6, 0
Green 6, 59, 0
Blue 0, 4, 55
Yellow 58, 58, 0
Cyan 6, 49, 52
Magenta 36, 8, 42

Awesome! Thanks for this, really appreciated!

I haven’t changed anything since the reset and just used the stock movie and game mode settings and it’s actually been ok- will give these a try later though definitely.

Thanks again