AVS Forum banner

Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread

6M views 38K replies 3K participants last post by  Robert Simandl 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
READ BELOW BEFORE POSTING

MODERATOR'S NOTE: This thread is exclusively for current owners of the listed sets. It is not a comparison thread. It is not a "Help Me Choose"" thread except, perhaps between listed models. It is not a place for owners of other sets to come in and bash this set, even if you also own this set. OWNERS ONLY and discussions of the listed sets ONLY. If you do not own the listed set(s), it's highly advised you DO NOT POST in this thread.

Many of these same owners are subscribed to the help-me-choose threads and regularly check the section's front page and will happily field non-owner questions there. They've kindly asked for a place where they can discuss things between themselves. So, please respect their wishes.

The attached Guide contains a collection of information based upon thousands of posts in this forum. Use this to help you with your questions BEFORE you post here. It's likely that your question has been answered. If not, or if you need clarification, please post as we welcome the discussion and the opportunity to provide you with guidance.

Features of the Guide:
- Organized into six sections: Potential Owner, Initial Setup, General Usage, Troubleshooting, Advanced Topics, and Glossary
- Clickable links to the forum itself, external websites with relevant information, posts within the forum, and common forum searches within each section
- FAQs within each section

We also welcome any suggestions to improve the Guide.

If your question isn't answered in the guide, try the "SEARCH THIS THREAD" box above. Better to get your answers quickly rather than creating a post and wondering why nobody's responding to it.

Attachments

See less See more
#34,741 ·
Had this tv for around 2 and a half years, and while I was watching the other day the set started to flicker, A few hours later and now i got these color issues and a small flicker of the brightness going up and down. Pics below. This issue is on every menu and input, not just the pc pics shown. My warranty expired a year ago as well., I went through every setting, eco, reboot. etc with no luck. Anybody ever have an issue like this and know the cause. Thanks.
looks like the LED bar it requires carefully disassembling the panel and installing a new LED bar .I fixed an edge lit Sony 55X850C here like that.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=samung+ks8000+led&_sacat=163768

or shop jimmy.com

#34,742 ·
Had this tv for around 2 and a half years, and while I was watching the other day the set started to flicker, A few hours later and now i got these color issues and a small flicker of the brightness going up and down. Pics below. This issue is on every menu and input, not just the pc pics shown. My warranty expired a year ago as well., I went through every setting, eco, reboot. etc with no luck. Anybody ever have an issue like this and know the cause. Thanks.
Did you buy with a credit card? If so, check with them. Most offer extended warranty coverage for your purchase.

#34,743 ·
Did you buy with a credit card? If so, check with them. Most offer extended warranty coverage for your purchase.

#34,745 · (Edited)
New firmware 1230.5 is out in UK. Some are getting over the air but also available for d/l.

I read the following on a Dutch forum regarding the new firmware update:
"According to the Italian samsung forum only security updates. But there is also good news: In the meantime, a software update that enables HDR-HLG via HDMI is being tested. At least that's what I get from the translated pages."

#34,746 ·
New firmware 1230.5 is out in UK. Some are getting over the air but also available for d/l.
This firmware does not fix HLG over HDMI. I tested this with BBC iPlayer playing HLG UHD test loop via HDMI. UHD only. However if they are still testing one with support this may just be an interim bug fix. We can hope.

#34,747 ·
Is anybody else experiencing regular problems with the build in Netflix app on this TV?
Multiple times per week I get a message that Netflix could not load this episode/content. This happends when i choose something to watch and the loading screen with the percentages appear.
I'll have to give the tv a full power cycle and/or reset my router for this to get resolved.

I don't believe this has something to do with my internet settings or provider. The tv is hooked up to the internet via cable and I have a 200 Mbits connection. Also my neighbor who owns the same tv has the exact same issue.

This is still on the older fimware (1220 and earlier).

#34,749 · (Edited)
At this stage the only real fix I’m looking for is the sound delay when passing through Dolby Digital in Game mode. Not holding out hope as I don’t think it’s ever been acknowledged but I will test it out tonight.

That, plus the 'Backlight breathing' issue when watching HDR content in picture mode 'Movie' while a bright (white) image appears.
And the Netflix app which keeps losing connection to the server.

If you notice any other changes, feel free to share :)

#34,750 ·
That, plus the 'Backlight breathing' issue when watching HDR content in picture mode 'Movie' while a bright (white) image appears.
And the Netflix app which keeps losing connection to the server.

If you notice any other changes, feel free to share :)
HDR switching in CAL-DAY and CAL-NIGHT too.

#34,753 ·
I'm assuming you're trying to pass audio via ARC back to a receiver instead of having the audio go directly to the receiver from the console and bypassing video through to the TV?
Pretty much, yes. PS4 connected by HDMI to the TV and then the TV connected by Wi-fi (or ARC) to a 3.1 Samsung soundbar.

With the TV in Game mode, and the PS4 set to output 5.1 via HDMI, there's a noticeable and undefeatable delay in the sound when compared to the picture. If I set the PS4 to output stereo, or switch the TV out of Game mode, everything syncs perfectly.

It's not a *huge* problem because I can connect the PS4 directly to the soundbar via optical and then it's all fine. But it involves switching inputs, and it's an irritation, so it's always the first thing I check with each new firmware update. Samsung don't even really seem aware of the problem.

#34,754 · (Edited)
Pretty much, yes. PS4 connected by HDMI to the TV and then the TV connected by Wi-fi (or ARC) to a 3.1 Samsung soundbar.

With the TV in Game mode, and the PS4 set to output 5.1 via HDMI, there's a noticeable and undefeatable delay in the sound when compared to the picture. If I set the PS4 to output stereo, or switch the TV out of Game mode, everything syncs perfectly.

It's not a *huge* problem because I can connect the PS4 directly to the soundbar via optical and then it's all fine. But it involves switching inputs, and it's an irritation, so it's always the first thing I check with each new firmware update. Samsung don't even really seem aware of the problem.
The issue is that Game Mode does display the image faster, but doesn't take into account that audio also has be put out faster. You're only able to add extra audio delay via the TV itself which makes things worse, since there is already audio delay present with the value 0 in Game Mode. You can't enter a negative value so you're out of luck. Whenever you use your tv for audio passthrough to your receiver, you'll always have this issue when you're using the Bitstream format. I don't believe the issue is there when using PCM, but then you can only get stereo sound when using an optical cable. My 5.1 sound system unfortunately has an optical input only, and no HDMI.

But since your using a soundbar (which only has a left and right speaker) i would suggest changing the audio on your PS4 and receiver to Stereo - PCM. That should solve the delay issue for you. 5.1 means 5 satellite speakers and 1 subwoofer. 2.1 is 2 satellite speakers and 1 subwoofer. Therefore a soundbar is technically limited to only output 2.0 or 2.1 if you use a separate subwoofer with the soundbar. The soundbar probably has an setting that imitates 5.1 sound, but it's not true surround sound. Therefore the best settings to use on your PS4 and TV is Stereo - PCM. You can still use the setting on your sounbar that imitates 5.1 but leave the settings on PS4 and tv on Stereo - PCM for the best results with uncompressed audio.

I bought a remote control SPDIF switch as a workarounf for my audio delay problem since i need to use Bitstream otherwise i won't get full 5.1 sound.
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0785H2T2Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And after that i bought a Logiteh Harmony 665 remote (any model will do).

Now i can turn on my tv + sound system and have them all switch to the correct inputs and audio formats with the press of a single button on the armony remote.
Same goes for watching regular TV, Netflix, Youtube and everything else.

It's really worth it if you don't want to fumble around with multiple remotes and manually switching settings each time you want to play a game or switching back to watching tv with the best audio and picture settings.

#34,755 ·
But since your using a soundbar (which only has a left and right speaker) i would suggest changing the audio on your PS4 and receiver to Stereo - PCM. That should solve the delay issue for you.
It does solve the delay issue but 5.1 for this soundbar is noticeably better. It’s a 3.1 bar with a centre speaker so feeding it a proper 5.1 signal not only uses the centre speaker for dialogue etc but also makes sure it uses the subwoofer properly as a discrete sub channel rather than just added boom for everything. Obviously no substitute for proper surround but it’s worth the hassle.

#34,756 · (Edited)
It does solve the delay issue but 5.1 for this soundbar is noticeably better. It’s a 3.1 bar with a centre speaker so feeding it a proper 5.1 signal not only uses the centre speaker for dialogue etc but also makes sure it uses the subwoofer properly as a discrete sub channel rather than just added boom for everything. Obviously no substitute for proper surround but it’s worth the hassle.

Then i would suggest to look further into a SPDIF Switch (with IR sensor) in combination with a Harmony remote as a possible workaround. That will solve your problem and was a real life changer for me. Not just for PS4 gaming, but the Harmony remote in general is a real handy tool that replaces all your remotes and you can program sequences into a single button however you want.

You just need to prgram 1 button on the remote to get a direct connection from your PS4 to your soundbar via the SPDIF switch (bypassing the TV), and another to get a direct connection from your TV to your soundbar via the SPDIF switch.

Quick overview

Examples on how to program the remote

#34,757 ·
For my PS4/XB1, i just made the switch to DTS over Dolby, and the audio lag is much less noticeable. I'm not enough of an Audiophile to really know or care what the difference is. I am happy that stuff happening behind me sounds like it's behind me, and the lip sync is pretty good.

#34,758 · (Edited)
And after that i bought a Logiteh Harmony 665 remote (any model will do).

Now i can turn on my tv + sound system and have them all switch to the correct inputs and audio formats with the press of a single button on the armony remote.
Same goes for watching regular TV, Netflix, Youtube and everything else.

It's really worth it if you don't want to fumble around with multiple remotes and manually switching settings each time you want to play a game or switching back to watching tv with the best audio and picture settings.
+10000. Have your receiver or soundbar handle the audio direct, forget having to rely on ARC and the TV. Samsung doesn't care about sound -- most of these TV manufacturers don't. And ARC is a nice idea that simply does not function in the wild as it's supposed to. Maybe in the next iteration it will work with ease...but I wouldn't hold my breath.

As always you will save yourself endless headaches, forum searches and message board posts going that route as opposed to trying to get ARC to function flawlessly. You can find refurbs on the 650 usually cheap ($30 or sometimes less), there's no reason to not to have one if you are investing this kind of time/money in a quality home theater set up and want the best performance from your components. A small price to pay for the "irritation" of having to change inputs to get flawless sound. :cool:

#34,759 ·
For my PS4/XB1, i just made the switch to DTS over Dolby, and the audio lag is much less noticeable. I'm not enough of an Audiophile to really know or care what the difference is. I am happy that stuff happening behind me sounds like it's behind me, and the lip sync is pretty good.
You're right that it's hard to notice with the naked eye/ear. But if you play for example a game like Resogun on PS4, you'll hear an anouncer in the game through your audio speakers and at the same time through the speaker on your PS4 controller. That's when you'll notice that the audio coming from your speakers is lagging behind. When you hook up your speakers directly to the PS4 the audio is in sync with the audio coming from the PS4 speaker. Same is noticible on the Nintendo Wii-U when using it in tablet mode. The audio coming from the tv is lagging behind the Wii-U tablet audio.

Watch these clips with Game Mode on/off and with audio format Bitstream vs PCM on the youtube app on your PS4 and you'll notice the audio delay while using Bitstream, when you're using a toslink cable and your TV to passtrough the audio to your speakers.

#34,760 ·
You're right that it's hard to notice with the naked eye/ear. But if you play for example a game like Resogun on PS4, you'll hear an anouncer in the game through your audio speakers and at the same time through the speaker on your PS4 controller. That's when you'll notice that the audio coming from your speakers is lagging behind. When you hook up your speakers directly to the PS4 the audio is in sync with the audio coming from the PS4 speaker. Same is noticible on the Nintendo Wii-U when using it in tablet mode. The audio coming from the tv is lagging behind the Wii-U tablet audio.

Watch these clips with Game Mode on/off and with audio format Bitstream vs PCM on the youtube app on your PS4 and you'll notice the audio delay while using Bitstream, when you're using a toslink cable and your TV to passtrough the audio to your speakers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucZl6vQ_8Uo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szoOsG9137U
I do actually hook my Receiver directly to my consoles thru an optical switcher. So i guess i misunderstood. even with the diret connect, dolby was a little more out of sync than i would like. i usually use the tv speaker as a calibrator.